Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions => Topic started by: Wendy on February 20, 2009, 10:25:20 AM

Title: Kalkan to Izmir
Post by: Wendy on February 20, 2009, 10:25:20 AM
I fancy a trip to Ikea in Izmir. Any idea how far it is and how long it takes to drive? It doesn''t look far on Google maps but it won''t calculate directions!

Cheers
Wendy
Title: Re: Kalkan to Izmir
Post by: howmad on February 20, 2009, 02:48:56 PM
It is quite a long way and will take at least 4 hours at over the speed limit without stops.  It is a very good road and you could always break your journey at Akyaka.When you get closer to Izmir the road is a toll motorway and takes you round Izmir to the Bornova turnoff. At that point you can already see the infamous blue and yellow Ikea sign. The shopping village around Ikea is very nice with recognisable shops like Starbucks and Body Shop as well as Kipa which sells Tesco products. There are loads of eating places. However Izmir is a modern city with even more shops and cafes and the Konak district is very fashionable with excellent shopping. You would find it very difficult if not impossible to do it in a day and enjoy the trip.
Post by: Mercimek on February 20, 2009, 03:26:01 PM
I have tried to do it in a day and we left at 7am returning around 11pm, it was over ambitious,even with two people driving. I would advise to stay overnight, trapsing around Ikea will tire you out, plus you need meal stops.
On another trip we stayed overnight in Izmir, which was much more pleasurable.
Post by: kevincat99 on February 20, 2009, 03:34:36 PM
Hi

It is a good nearly 6 hours to drive to Izmir

However there is now a company in Fethiye from where you can buy a lilted selection of IKEA products from or you can choose from the catalogue and they will get them for you for cost + a commission [8 - 10 %] plus carriage [I think]

They also do a day trip there every week and I believe also an overnight stay where you also visit the shopping centres       
Post by: Wendy on February 20, 2009, 05:58:40 PM
Thanks folks. Interesting. Maybe when we come out in May as we are there for three weeks then. I did notice that some curtain stuff that I fancied in Cardiff Ikea at £5.86 worked out at £11.80 in the Turkey Ikea.
We have 7 single beds and two king size beds to cover plus loads of windows and I was trying to figure the best way of doing it. I can only get so much in the suitcase at one time. Bedding is cheaper here at the moment.
The best way of course would be to load up the motorhome and drive down - then customs would have something to say. Ah well - never mind. ;D
Post by: misty on February 20, 2009, 06:00:09 PM
UPS It.......
Post by: felicity on February 20, 2009, 06:32:10 PM
Can anybody tell me - is there a B&Q (or Koctas) in Izmir - I am thinking of flying BA into Izmir going to Ikea and B&Q for dulux paint and then getting the bus down to Kalkan....not sure how to manage all my purchases mind....just a wild idea at the moment..!!  ;)
Post by: misty on February 20, 2009, 07:56:09 PM
B&Q, Ikea why don''t you guys stay in the UK......... what happened to embracing all things Turkish  >:D >:D
Post by: Wendy on February 20, 2009, 08:27:32 PM
Meow girls - I love all things Turkish but as I am furnishing new property (am I allowed to say that?) I''m looking for the most economical way of doing it in some respects. Or does this make me a bad person?
Point me somewhere local that I can get bedding, window stuff etc at the same price as here and I will gladly go there.
Anyone want a dish of milk now???? >:D
Post by: misty on February 20, 2009, 08:41:17 PM
Wendy...I''m not a girl.........
Post by: felicity on February 20, 2009, 09:09:11 PM
Yeah - AND - although i love all things turkish - i DO NOT love turkish paint - even top quality stuff is not a patch on Dulux - so that is the reason for asking (yes - I am working on Musa in the DIY store by kaya to stock dulux paint - just white and a few creamy colours but as yet - my charms are yet to succeed  >:D >:D ;D) so in the meantime - I will have to source my own..!!

So - is there a b&q in Izmir..????????????  ??? ???
Post by: howmad on February 20, 2009, 09:13:04 PM
Koctas is just to the west of Izmir on the D32 to Cesme, at Balcova.
Post by: misty on February 20, 2009, 09:20:14 PM
Don''t forget they wont be a Woolworth''s  there now but you might find an M&S  >:D >:D >:D
Post by: felicity on February 20, 2009, 09:47:46 PM
Thanks Howmad - do you how big the B&Q is...do you know if it stocks dulux paint..??

(Woolworths and M&S NOT required..!!  >:D >:D)  Just the essential like Ikea and B&Q will do..!!! ;)
Post by: misty on February 20, 2009, 10:00:09 PM
And Howmad if they do can you pop round and slap in on the walls  ;) ;) ;) ;)
Post by: Wendy on February 20, 2009, 10:13:57 PM
Wendy...I''''m not a girl.........

You sure?....   >:D >:D ;) x
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on February 20, 2009, 10:16:43 PM
Hi Everyone

Please can we stay on topic to ensure this thread does not get diluted....... and sometimes, if you have nothing of value to say there is nothing wrong with saying nothing at all  ;)
Post by: misty on February 20, 2009, 10:24:07 PM
Wendy: Surly you can tell my posts are rational and sensible  >:D >:D >:D
Post by: mel on February 21, 2009, 10:06:43 AM
There are 2 Ikea''s in Izmir, 1 in Bornova and 1 in Balcova. Look on the website for directions www.koctas.com.tr. I cannot see any Dulux paint in their brochure though.
Post by: felicity on February 21, 2009, 10:11:56 AM
Thanks Mel - so presumably 1 of the Ikea''s is near to the Koctas...??  So possible to do both in 1 trip then..!  I will take a look online at their products - certainly the Antalya Koctas (in theory) stocks dulux paint - its just when we phoned to see if they had any - surprise surprise - they didnt..!!  So just as well that I didnt make the 3 hour trip there from kalkan ....  >:( >:(
Post by: Mercimek on February 21, 2009, 10:42:29 AM
Hi Mel, Where did you get this information of a second Ikea in Izmir, as it isn''t mentioned on their website?
Post by: mel on February 21, 2009, 10:56:40 AM
Sorry!!!  Meant to say there are 2 Koctas''s in Izmir.
Post by: felicity on February 21, 2009, 11:20:11 AM
Ok...so is one of the Koctas''s near to the One IKEA>..????  ???
Post by: kalkan wife on February 21, 2009, 02:24:14 PM
They ahve a web site in (not very good) English
http://www.koctas.com.tr/kurumsal/koctas_magazalar_en.asp
Post by: kalkan wife on February 21, 2009, 02:25:41 PM
But better typing than me!
Sorry, of course I meant ''they have a web site''.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal