Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Everything Else & Classifieds => The Everything Else Area! => Topic started by: morgan on February 05, 2009, 10:56:29 PM

Title: getting shirty!
Post by: morgan on February 05, 2009, 10:56:29 PM
Hi all,
Just wondered how you feel about tourists walking around town and going into shops and supermarkets bare chested(men that is!)Last summer,I noticed a number of men doing this and I find it pretty tacky.Standing in a line to pay at tesko''s,with a large sweaty body in front of you is enough to put you off lunch!!Surely it''s not too much effort to put a t-shirt on to go shopping is it??
I appreciate that people are on holiday relaxing etc,however let''s not forget that Turkey is a moslem country,so I think it''s quite disrespectful to the locals to behave this way!
I know that Monte-Carlo has banned bare chests in town,let''s try and get Kalkan to do the same.What do you think??

Title: Re: getting shirty!
Post by: clashgour on February 05, 2009, 11:31:15 PM
Hi Morgan,

Totally agree.  We''ve been coming to Kalkan since the early 90''s and it is definitely getting worse.  It''s the same with women wearing bikinis in shops and restaurants.  Beach attire is for the beach or the pool only.  It''s not just about respect for the local population, which is very important, but also respect for other people in general.

Having said that I don''t think the Council needs to go as far as in the South of France  - unless of course THEY want to.
Post by: AllanChris on February 05, 2009, 11:40:34 PM
Hi Morgan, we could exempt ladies up to the age of 35!   :laugh:   ;)   Seriously though, NO!
Post by: Em1 on February 06, 2009, 05:40:07 AM
Hi
I agree! Get your T Shirts on please! Pierce Brosnan is one exception I would make, or maybe George Clooney ;D
Em
Post by: misty on February 06, 2009, 07:57:59 AM
I agree with Em people should cover up when walking around the town going in the shops etc etc.....I guess the only exceptions could be the attractive ladies !!  >:D >:D
Post by: DRBD on February 06, 2009, 02:58:32 PM
No exception, they wouldn''t do it anyway.  Manners are manners, sadly lacking in a good majority of people these days.  Not allowed to do it in a lot of countries either.
Post by: Sheez on February 06, 2009, 03:05:59 PM
I don''t think there should be any exceptions... it''s a matter of common decency that seems to go completely off peoples radar when they are on vacation (& it''s not jus the Brits !!) wherever in the world you are.

I''ve seen bikini clad female shoppers in Supermarkets in Portugal - speedo wearing men walking thru the town in Menorca & even in my local Asada during a heatwave - WHAT ARE THEY THINKING

It a matter of personal social & cultural respect.  However legislation would never cure it, it might be a great revenue generating activity tho!! 

Post by: turkeyfan on February 06, 2009, 03:17:13 PM
Even if people have the bodies of gods and goddesses, they should still be covered up anywhere other than the pool or beach.

I don''t think lots of people know what etiquette is any more - I know a younger person (in her 20''s) and she thinks its perfectly normal to sit at a pool cafe bar in her bikini eating lunch and can''t understand why others think it''s bad manners to have your lunch semi-clothed.  

She does have the body of a goddess though!!

I watched the Piers Morgan program on Monaco last night and legislation has cured it there.
Post by: Enişte on February 06, 2009, 03:19:45 PM
If you think there is a problem with this in Kalkan, try visiting Kemer or Antalya and see how the Russians behave (and not just the ones employed in the oldest profession).  I know that these are bigger towns with longer beaches, but respect for the local customs and, as below, common decency should prevent this happening.  Should!

Turkeyfan - a photo of this goddess might enable us to make a more sound judgement!
Post by: misty on February 06, 2009, 03:39:07 PM
I was in a local supermarket and there was a young lady with a bikini on that was made from dental floss !!!

Mind you the lads in the shop fell over themselves to help her  :)  :)

But joking aside its all about respect and unfortunately in my experience any where in the world it''s the Brits that let you down and its always the ones that really should cover  :) :)

Post by: Enişte on February 06, 2009, 03:43:34 PM
Some remind me of an old joke, which ended: "Whatever he/she was wearing, it badly needed ironing!".

As someone that takes weeks to turn from light blue to white, my finely honed body will remain entirely clothed.  Trust me, ladies, it''s for the best!
Post by: msr on February 06, 2009, 04:53:56 PM
A couple of years ago at Dalaman airport a shirtless ''gentleman'' was asked to put his shirt on before boarding an Onur Air flight  to Gatwick. When he refused the pilot was called into the departure lounge and told him he would not be allowed to board his countries airline if he continued to be disrespectful to the turkish culture! He wasn''t happy but eventually put the offending garment back on. I was very pleased because on boarding he was sitting next to me, and he did not have David Beckhams physique!!

Joking aside , cultures should be respected anywhere in the world, at the end of the day it is common decency whatever the figure!!
Post by: Em1 on February 06, 2009, 05:50:34 PM
Hi
Is it me, or have some people had a complete sence of humour bypass on this subject? No offence meant, but life is too short not to be able to raise a smile occassionally.
Em
Post by: misty on February 06, 2009, 05:56:56 PM
Ah so it was you in the supermarket with the dental floss bikini  ;) ;)
Post by: Brooksie on February 06, 2009, 08:05:32 PM
Unfortunately respect is becoming a thing of the past. Some people can''t help themselves when they go abroad and think it''s OK to walk into a shop, restaurant or bar topless and think it must be alright, I''m on Holiday and spending my hard earned cash earning you lot a living, coz if it weren''t for me me you''d be a out a job. I''d love to see some of our lot back in the UK accept topless people wandering about into restaurants and bars and see how they get on there.

I have now got off my soap box!!
Post by: Em1 on February 07, 2009, 08:03:55 AM
Dear Mr Fed

As far I could see everyone agreed that people should cover up a more when they are away from a beach or pool area, showing respect in this (and other) countries. There were a few tongue in cheek remarks made here and there, but anyone reading these would know these were simply light hearted quips.

More than one post seemed to question people making a simple joke here and there, suggesting that there should be ''no  exceptions'' to people covering up, and that is why I asked if anyone else thought a sense of humour bypass had happened.

However, as far as I see it I was not rude enough to point my finger directly at any of these posts, or to name people directly, which is what you have done, yet again, with me.

I am really sorry, but I feel that it is a serious problem not showing respect to others and no one should make light of it. It is clear to me that you don''t like me, but do you always have to make it so public? I dont do this to you.

Em

Post by: Chucky on February 07, 2009, 09:52:14 AM
Once again the problem of how you read and interpret a posting has rattled some people.
We had a similar discussion last season on topless sunbathing that also raise the same questions and arguments.

Lets not fall out. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree.

The general consensus from the posts on this thread is that people agree with the original post made by Morgan.
Time to move on I think. :)
Post by: DRBD on February 07, 2009, 10:31:05 AM
Here is a quote from "The Grenadian Voice" newspaper dated the 17 January 2009.

"Grenada enforcing ban on off-beach bathing suits - Bikini & Speedo-clad tourists beware - The Caribbean island of Grenada says it recently began enforcing an indecent exposure law banning bathing suits away from the beach, as well as saggy pants that reveal the underwear."  There is a 6 month jail sentence or a 270 dollar fine if caught. There are police patrols on the beaches & surrounding areas enforcing this law.

It is also an offence to go topless in Grenada & some other Caribbean islands, so beware, you will be turned away from shops etc if not suitably dressed, that also means males with no shirts on.

Post by: misty on February 07, 2009, 01:07:00 PM
Em you go girl........and Joan do you think you might be alone in wanting to move on, this has to be more interesting than some of the subjects discussed to death lately !!!!!
Post by: fidimax on February 07, 2009, 01:37:46 PM
I agree with EM on this one,I dont have a problem with anyone walking around kalkan in swimwear or without a t shirt,I would rather see a semi naked body than a t shirt dripping with sweat any time,
I do sometimes walk in kalkan without a shirt on,but I always have one with me,this is because if I do call in a shop, super market or stop for a drink or something to eat ,I myself would not feel comfortable and I will put on my shirt before entering any of the above.

Neil. 8) >:D

Post by: fidimax on February 07, 2009, 01:44:19 PM
And besides,when I am falling around the cobbled streets,in my bright green speedos,bottle of Efes in hand,I wouldnt want to spill my
beer down the front of my brand new man u shirt.  :o :o :o >:D
Post by: Enişte on February 07, 2009, 02:08:10 PM
I may have to change tack here, as I would probably rather see toplessness than footy shirts featuring failing American insurance groups or Middle Eastern airlines!
Post by: Blue Lizard on February 07, 2009, 02:14:24 PM
i have a lime green "Borat" style mankini...but i always put a hat on before i go into a shop and i don''t wear it in the fruit and veg market!! :angel:
Post by: fidimax on February 07, 2009, 02:20:02 PM
You would go down well with the Russians my little blue friend !  ;) ;D >:D
Did you notice the other day,another lizard was basking on the forum . :o
Post by: onelove on February 07, 2009, 02:36:40 PM
Hi,

Could not agree with fidimax more......and a RED to boot.....I think ?

A few of you need to lighten up a bit, people are on holiday you know and I''m sure no offence is ment, you can buy BACON in the supermarket for god''s sake, is it offenceive to buy it !  what next, no laughing in case you upset someone......happy holidays

Regards KD.
Post by: fidimax on February 07, 2009, 02:38:36 PM
 ;) :D ;D 8) >:D
Post by: Em1 on February 07, 2009, 03:02:19 PM
Hi Joan
I thought everyone was agreeing to disagree, in an adult manner. The problem is some people think they have the right to be personnal.
Em
Post by: AllanChris on February 07, 2009, 04:25:46 PM
Could someone explain to me please why men have to wear football shirts at all!   ???

Allan.
Post by: fidimax on February 07, 2009, 04:31:19 PM
 ???
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on February 07, 2009, 04:38:27 PM
Lets stop this one here before it gets personal  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal