Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Travel and Accommodation => Flights and Travel => Topic started by: Brooksie on October 01, 2008, 12:41:47 PM

Title: Flight prices
Post by: Brooksie on October 01, 2008, 12:41:47 PM
Trying to book a flight mid October before half term, but am getting prices of over £200 on the net. Anyone got a good website or contact number?
Title: Re: Flight prices
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 01, 2008, 04:11:34 PM
Sorry Brooksie but thats the rate it is at the moment...the airlines seem free to charge what they want and do as they please £200 is a good price at the moment....mother in law flew out on friday ...(going to Fethiye) paid about £300 for her ticket got stung by a 12 hour delay at Gatwick ..but the good news was they gave her a £10 voucher reedemable for food and drink...hooooray!! thats a sandwich and a coffee at airport prices...blimey good job it wasn''t Dalaman!! one place in upstairs concourse at Dalaman
 was selling coffee for 8 lira a cup :o
good hunting
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 01, 2008, 04:40:33 PM
Try the Travel Republic or Skyscanner sites, Brooksie, as when we were looking a few weeks ago they were just under £200. Also don''t forget to delete your cookies before going on these sites - don''t ask me why, bit of a technophobe I''m afraid, but I''m sure someone will be happy to explain. All I know is it can be more expensive if you don''t ???
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 01, 2008, 04:58:14 PM
since then XL have gone bust which has shoved up prices.. 200,000 thousand people having to rebook hols/flights?.... as for the cookies? if you click onto a flight you have previously shown interest in it automatically ups the price..many companys use these dastardly tricks
Post by: DawnT on October 01, 2008, 05:16:12 PM
Try booking one way with different airlines.  That''s what I do and they tend to be cheaper.
Also a tip for Dalaman airport. Book into the Lounge on the first floor 35.5 ytl per person, unlimited tea, coffee and soft drinks, plus  unlimited food,(rolls, cakes etc)  not quite up to Kalkan standards, but beats paying £20 each for a soggy Mcdonalds!!!
Post by: turkeyfan on October 01, 2008, 05:30:49 PM
We are going to Kalkan on Friday night and booked a really cheap one way ticket with Monarch for £40 each.  As all flights home were much more expensive we decided to book our return flight when we were in Turkey.  HOWEVER XL went bust the very next day and cost of flights started to go up and up and number of seats down and down.  Last week we booked our return flight, as I was starting to panic that there wouldn''t even be any flights when we wanted to come home and we''ve paid £530 for two of us, one way-total of £610 for 2 tickets. At £200, your tickets Brooksie are quite good value.
That''s what I get for trying to be clever! ;)
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 01, 2008, 05:34:50 PM
for £40 pound wern''t you worried you might be strapped to the underside of the wing collecting flies in your teeth!! ;D
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 01, 2008, 05:51:20 PM
friend of ours stayed in Yalikavak..and flew into Bodrum..whlie he was on holiday XL went belly up...he was with XL..no help was offered or advice given so he decided to look for a flight home..he paid £308 pound for what was stated as "Only 2 seats left"..during the next few days he checked prices each day for the next 3 days it rose by £100...stating"only 2 seats left"...£608 was the last figure he saw...when he boarded the plane at Bodrum it was only half full....how can such behaviour be allowed? >:(
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 02, 2008, 11:24:25 AM
Name and shame the airline, BL.... :o
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 02, 2008, 01:02:35 PM
initials TC..and it isn''t top cat ;)
Post by: KalkanPosh on October 02, 2008, 10:27:45 PM
I also flew one way to DLM and wasn''t in a hurry to get back to the rainy UK season over the summer....until it appeared there were literally no flights home...However, in a last-minute panic to get back for school in September I flew home to Gatwick via Amsterdam....only to find out that the TC flights back to the UK were only half full after all. GRRRRRRRRR! Why isn''t their website kept up to date in real time??? Lots of people in Kalkan were also trying to get reasonably priced flights back to the UK and were quoted vastly over-priced TC flights back from travel agents (forget the website - nothing quoted there!)....only to find out that those very same planes left DLM half full. Can''t work it out!!
Post by: Brooksie on October 03, 2008, 11:17:23 AM
Thanks for the info folks, looks like I''m going to have to pay more than I thought. I reckon I''ll do the Heathrow/Istanbul/Dalaman route. Much more comfortable and only £250 return compared to £234 with Monarch, traveling with your knees wedged into the person in fronts back.
Post by: Hoca on October 03, 2008, 12:45:05 PM
T.C allways used to be quite a good company plenty of flights not overly strict and a nice check in system were you can off load your bags early and settle down in the refreshment area.
This year however they seem to have sacrificed a bit of customer care to save a bob or two.
Travelling back from Birmingham after being away working for 8 weeks i was a mere 4 kilo over with my bag the girl pointed out that i had paid only for 15 kilos and was liable. I explained that i had no hand luggage save a lap top weighing in at about 1 kilo so thus totally i was on the limit.
She replied that i need to remove 4 kilo of belongings from my bag and put them in my lap top case and all would be fine. After looking at her for a few moments i walked away and paid the £34 excess, i then returned and requested that i might sit near a window, she said OK and gave me seat 29d.
On the plane i fell asleep and missed my yummy meal that cost 6 or 7 pounds nobody woke me or offered the meal at a later point in the flight.
The emergency seats were empty and for sale at £35 each regardless of age or ability to open the doors should there be a need. Please don,t tell me it''s about weight distribution and fuel allowance.
This is the worst TC flight i have Been on maybe it was just a bad day but the girl on the check in she was priceless.
Post by: Possums on October 05, 2008, 11:33:19 AM
We think we have done exceptionally well after booking flights for next April (after Easter) for £145!!  Going out on Aegean (never used them before) and returning with TC (unfortunately have used them before).  It does mean a bit of a traipse across the country to Gatwick but we can do that by Nat Express so won''t break the bank.

Can anyone beat that for a bargain?  ;D
Post by: Possums on October 05, 2008, 11:44:45 AM
That is £145 each of course, sorry about that!  :-[
Post by: MartynE on October 05, 2008, 02:15:10 PM
We think we have done exceptionally well after booking flights for next April (after Easter) for £145!!  Going out on Aegean (never used them before) and returning with TC (unfortunately have used them before).  It does mean a bit of a traipse across the country to Gatwick but we can do that by Nat Express so won''''t break the bank.

Can anyone beat that for a bargain?  ;D

Very cheap indeed, Possums, but booking with Aegean is a brave move.... if you thought TC were bad you ain''t seen nothing yet.... ::)
Post by: felicity on October 05, 2008, 02:47:56 PM
Hi Martyn - I disagree - I think Aegean (Onur Air) are FAR better than TC anyday - both in terms of pre-flight service - ie: customer service when booking/before travelling and the planes and the crew are usually of a much higher standard than any TC flight I''ve been on and you seem to get more leg room.  However I will now be booking ALL flights (other than BA) with my credit card...just in case..!!

Cheers!
Post by: MartynE on October 05, 2008, 03:10:44 PM
Felicity, maybe we were unlucky but our experience with Onur Air was simply awful. Extremely uncomfortable, lumpy seats with zero legroom (even worse than TC, and that''s saying something!); one toilet out of action; broken seat backs (my seat-back kept reclining even though I didn''t want it to, even during take-off and landing); unhelpful cabin crew, inefficient check in at Dalaman and a general feeling of us passengers being an inconvenience rather than the people paying their wages.

Never again, even if they are cheap.  >:(
Post by: felicity on October 05, 2008, 03:26:19 PM
LOL Martyn - and I thought you were describing some of my flights with TC...!  ;)  I guess we have both been unlucky then!  But as they are all cheap no frills airlines (the only plus point with TC being the inflight entertainment - if you are lucky enough that your one works AND you can hear anything!  :o) I will carry on booking with both of them depending on who is cheapest at the time of booking (and most convenient flight times!).

Cheers!
Post by: Em1 on October 05, 2008, 08:38:12 PM
Hi
MartinE, I am glad someone finally agrees with me about the Onur Air flight! I will say no more...
Em
Post by: lilly on October 05, 2008, 10:14:29 PM
I have travelled with both airlines and i have found Onur to be slightly better than TC. Neither airlines could be discribed as good, just adequate. We have to get to Kalkan somehow :)
Post by: jofoss on October 06, 2008, 10:40:50 AM
Agree with Lilly, neither can be described as good and we are now limited as to choices.

Will definitely go with the cheapest, and by booking very early have secured flights via Aegean with Onur Air for next June @ £136 per person, so for that price I don''t mind being squashed!!! ;D
Post by: fidimax on October 06, 2008, 12:13:15 PM
I have flown with Onur several times,never had a problem,they seem to have upped things bit, and
besides, £126 for next may compared to £280 with TC,I know why I booked with Onur for next may !
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 06, 2008, 02:09:34 PM
We''ve flown with Onur...and they were great for a no frills airline...no problem with them whatsoever....so don''t be put off Possums.
Booked in June this year for 18 nights (on mastercard) with Onur for June/July next year at £150 each...wouldn''t fly with TC again after their dreadful profiteering in the wake of XL - irrespective of the flying experience (which isn''t brilliant, anyway)...they weren''t the only ones, I know. I have a list  ::)

Each to their own...just praying Aegean don''t go the way of XL between now and next year ::)
Post by: Pebble on October 11, 2008, 06:29:57 PM
Just booked flights for March £83 each return from Manchester with TC.  Bit of a bargain I think.  ;D ;D
Post by: Wendy on October 11, 2008, 10:05:11 PM
We came back with Easy Jet. They were late opening the check in desk but other that that no complaints. There was plenty of leg room!! The prices were good.
Don''t know what they will charge for winter flights, they aren''t out till end of Oct.
Brooksie - how much longer does it take to fly to Istanbul and then onto Dalaman? Stevo said is it a potch?
As far as TC and Onur I don''t think there is much to choose between them. I''ve had uncomfy seats, and surly trolley dollies on both, likewise the one time we flew with TC we must have had a different plane as there was good leg room. On the whole tho I ain''t impressed.
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 13, 2008, 11:14:54 AM
...another plus for Onur and Easyjet is 20kg baggage allowance compared to a measly 15kg with TC.. :P
Post by: Hoca on October 13, 2008, 01:32:31 PM
I niticed you can now book transfer with TC even flight only Kalkan is £34 return
Post by: fidimax on October 13, 2008, 01:41:03 PM

Do you know if that is per person on a coach transfer hoca ?
and do you have to fly with TC ?
Post by: misty on October 13, 2008, 01:50:44 PM
Using www.airflights.co.uk -Next August, 13th - 27th for three adults from Bournemouth Airport £888 which I don''t think is to bad based on the current climate.
Post by: Hoca on October 13, 2008, 01:53:25 PM
It''''s  per person if you go to flythomascook.com and pretend to book you will see it .
Post by: Roxie on October 13, 2008, 03:08:48 PM
Hi All,
Jet 2 flying from Manchester and Leeds/Bradford to Dalaman from 18th May. £ 140 return, not bad.
Post by: fidimax on October 13, 2008, 03:32:13 PM
Not bad at all Roxie, the fliight times from m/ch arent to good,but cheap enough.  ;D
Post by: Alfaman on October 13, 2008, 04:09:17 PM
Just been e mailed by Jet2.com so checked out their Manchester flight next June -not £140 as Roxie posted  - that is their "base" price but £195 once taxes, and 1 piece of hold luggage has been added.  No facility for buying extra kilos, adding meals and poor flight times. You gets what you pays for.
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 13, 2008, 06:25:25 PM
i''m going with Dick-Dastardly Air..it''s £8.50 return,is by tiger moth and takes 3 days,after which i shall be kicked out over turkish air space...a further £2 will provide a parachute >:D
Post by: Roxie on October 14, 2008, 12:32:26 AM
OK
Lucky People on the mainland, but that price seems ok for May as I quoted. From the outer extremeties of the UK, it''s a bargain. We''re not talking about June. I was thinking the Leeds/Bradford flights were very good times. Sorry if I spoke!  
Post by: hel66 on October 14, 2008, 02:13:27 AM
My eldest and his OH have just booked for next May with Thomas Cook for £58 return. i don''t know how he does it!
Post by: Brooksie on October 14, 2008, 05:29:47 PM
Hi Wendy
The flight from Istanbul to Dalaman is about 40-60 mins depending on take-off slot/routing. You just need to get the connection times sorted as to personal preference. As in quick transfer (2 hours) or leisurely (5-6 hours) so you can nip out of the airport and have a nice meal somewhere without paying Turkish airport prices.
Post by: Kalkankiwi on October 22, 2008, 05:22:13 PM
For anyone thinking of travelling to Dalaman next week some cheap flights with Thomas Cook on Mon 27th at 11am, Gatwick to Dalaman for £37.99. Only downside is that the only return flights back on Sun Nov 2nd are to Manchester for £110, showing nothing for the London area. Who cares at least I can stretch my legs( which I can''t do on TC''s airline) and catch up on some lost sleep on the train. The things we do to get a "Kalkan fix".

KK

Post by: misty on October 22, 2008, 05:33:28 PM
I found some for £16 two days ago plus tax of course........unfortunately I''m not in a position to go  :-[ :-[
Post by: fidimax on October 22, 2008, 05:39:01 PM
For 16 quid I would throw a sickie  !  :o >:D
Post by: misty on October 22, 2008, 07:38:08 PM
LOL Wish I could but the work force get restless if I''m not there and I don''t trust them left on their own !!!!
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 11, 2008, 02:17:56 PM
I have noticed on all my usual sites flight prices are still coming in at high prices compared to this time last year.The Aviation Authority blames high fuel costs and airport taxes..it can''t possibly be greed as this doesn''t exist in aviation!!.err anyone remember the price hikes to fly people home after XL went bust!! :o...it would seem airport taxes and fuel costs are only applicable during the day time hours as night flights are over a £100 plus cheaper...funny that!!...i intend to hold off and hope the flight companys have thousands of unsold seats and then become desperate to sell them when they realise people aren''t buying as they have in the past....in the words of Baldrick...."I have a cunning plan!!" :D ;)
Post by: kalkan4eva on November 12, 2008, 03:35:57 PM
...yes but didn''t Baldricks plans always go wrong  ;)
EasyJet will be your best bet from Gatwick - as soon as they release the seats, book them. As it stands at the moment, their flights are on a par with last year for the early bookers...so it appears they are not as affected by the high fuel costs (which have come down) and taxes as other names we could mention  ;D. Turkish Airlines are cheap apparently...I just don''t seem able to use the website properly to get those cheap deals :(
Post by: RosiB on November 12, 2008, 03:56:10 PM
Re: Turkish airline prices

I can''t usee it either!! I keep getting prices in thousands of dollars!
Post by: kalkan4eva on November 12, 2008, 04:05:06 PM
RosiB,
If you go to the Kibris thread, IanB (any relation?) has managed to book his flights for under £200 just last week, but I''m blowed if I can get a price under £1700 for two flights in September - I''ve even gone as far as almost entering my card details to see if the glitch was just on the "results" page...but no...! It''s infuriating  >:(
Post by: JayneyG on November 12, 2008, 04:39:37 PM
I just tried Kibris and got flights for £192 return next september.  Maybe its just temperamental but frustrating never the less.
Post by: jinfizzz on November 12, 2008, 07:29:14 PM
Doug booked flights last week for the very end of April with Thomas Cook.  Really sociable times and £120.98!!!!
Post by: Em1 on November 12, 2008, 09:19:46 PM
Hi
Yes! We have also booked with Thomas Cook for 22 days in May 2009...cost us £140 return per person (no food).
Em
Post by: Wendy on November 13, 2008, 08:46:04 AM
I''ve been looking at Thomas Cook for May 25th returning 15th June (or thereabouts) and the best I can get is over £500. What airports you guys going from? I''ve been looking at Bristol, more expensive than Gatwick but we don''t have carparking fees and it''s only an hour away.
Post by: tonyholmes on November 13, 2008, 09:12:58 AM
Hi Wendy,

Cyprus Turkish Airlines have scheduled non stop flights from Birmingham to Dalaman at £200.70 pp with Monday departures. Times Depart 1.00pm/ 6.45pm, Return 9.15am/11.30am. inc food and 20kl luggage.

We have not used them in the past but have booked flights for 2009.

If any one has past experiences comments appreciated.

Tony and Elizabeth.
Post by: tonyholmes on November 13, 2008, 09:18:47 AM
Hi Wendy,

Just to add to my previous post the website is www.kthy.net and flights are available at this price for your dates. On theur website you need to change the language on each page to English.

Tony
Post by: Linsue on November 13, 2008, 09:33:25 AM
Tony
Yes I used them this September and it was great and of course food and drinks all included.  Spot on time too which counts for a lot. Being a scheduled flight I got 17 days trip instead of the charter flight 14day restriction.

Post by: Em1 on November 13, 2008, 12:36:23 PM
Hi
I just checked thomascookfly.com for 25th May 2009-15th June 2009 ( Bristol to Dalaman)...it was £216pp
Em
Post by: turkeyfan on November 13, 2008, 01:20:35 PM
Just as well you got in there with your flights Em1.  ;D

It drives me nuts how they change prices all the time.  We saw some Onur flights with Goldtrail (yes I know some of you wouldn''t touch them) last week for £280 for a week in May 2009 half term and when I went to book 2 days later they were £339 - just too much for 1 weeks holiday.  I booked with Jet2 leaving the day before for £220 each - still not cheap though!

Post by: Blue Lizard on November 13, 2008, 01:26:30 PM
i have just looked on www.kthy.net and the flights aren''t a bad price..i put in Gatwick, going was fine,but the abbrieviations on my return flight meant i would have been delivered to Stanstead!! check it with a fine tooth comb if you are booking.... :o
think i will wait!!
Post by: Linsue on November 13, 2008, 01:48:54 PM
Yes Kibris seem to fly out/return of Gatwick on a Friday and on Sundays in/out of Stanstead.  Was OK for me as I got picked up but not so good if you need to drive and park the car!

BTW - I have booked for Xmas in Kalkan with Thomas Cook and a weeks flight for £189.00 all in!  Not bad for the time of year!
Post by: Em1 on November 13, 2008, 03:04:38 PM
Hi Turkeyfan,
My last post was not about my flights changing prices, but for Wendy, as I found her flights much cheaper for her. Take a look Wendy! ;D
Em
Post by: Charlie on November 13, 2008, 05:37:03 PM
Anyone know of flights for Easter next year at a reasonable price?  I''ve searched but can''t seem to find any. Thanks
Post by: turkeyfan on November 13, 2008, 06:55:03 PM
Sorry Em1 my mistake - didn''t read all the posts.
Post by: Wendy on November 13, 2008, 10:04:04 PM
Thanks EM1 going to take a look now. ;D
Post by: Wendy on November 13, 2008, 10:59:03 PM
Return flights were £400 and something, cheapest yet, and that was including all the taxes, surcharges, insurances etc! Cheers.
Post by: Em1 on November 13, 2008, 11:31:29 PM
Hi

I have just got them for £217 per person. I did not get offered insurance, and did not tick the food box or extra 5kg luggage. I put in your exact dates from Bristol to Dalaman

http://www.thomascookfly.com/ (http://www.thomascookfly.com/)

Em
Post by: Bella on November 14, 2008, 08:29:07 AM
I was very lucky with my flight bookings, but I think it is necessary to book in advance to get the best deals.

About 7 weeks ago I booked an afternoon flight (so that I can use the bus), incl. meal from Antalya to Gatwick, Dec 23rd. Returning from Gatwick to Dalaman on Jan26th, meal also included.  for £99.23.
I will have to pay for transfer or car hire from Dalaman (unless someone out there will share.)
 At this moment these flights are available but the price is now £236 approx. incl meals

Post by: christopple on November 15, 2008, 04:36:10 PM
Hi

I have just booked flights with Thomas Cook for 2nd may until 17th May 2009 and paid £207 each which I did not think was too bad considering how much we paid last year.
Post by: RosiB on November 18, 2008, 08:29:52 PM
Thanks for all the help using KTHY. I managed to get flights for next May for £200 each, including all the add ons AND even reserved our seats!!!!

Ros
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal