Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Everything Else & Classifieds => The Everything Else Area! => Topic started by: newballs on September 04, 2008, 10:48:54 AM

Title: U.S.Open Tennis
Post by: newballs on September 04, 2008, 10:48:54 AM
Following our magnificent performance at Beijing, We must give a very big well done and congratulations to Andy Murray for getting thru to the sems-final of the U.S Open. He played brilliantly to beat that dour Argentinian Del Potro, and it''s his best ever achievement in a grand slam to date. So well done Andy it''s downhill from now on, only Nadal and then Federer to beat and the title''s yours!
Title: Re: U.S.Open Tennis
Post by: Enişte on September 04, 2008, 11:08:50 AM
Given this miserable if talented oik''s views on England, I don''t plan to offer any congratulation.
Post by: Brooksie on September 04, 2008, 11:13:08 AM
This is the bloke who wanted South Africa to beat us in the Rugby World Cup final. I personally will support anybody who is playing against him.
Post by: Enişte on September 04, 2008, 11:45:49 AM
Exactly, the general principle I apply to Arsenal, France (isn''t that the same thing?), Australia and since yesterday Dimitar Berbatov, who is from Bulgaria, not far from Turkey or Kalkan (to keep things on topic)
Post by: misty on September 04, 2008, 12:09:13 PM
I love it when Murray loses which fortunately is quite often..........lets hope he gets slaughtered !!!!!
Post by: itstime on September 04, 2008, 01:17:33 PM
Murray was superb last night and now meets Nadal in the semi final. May the best player win.
Post by: misty on September 04, 2008, 01:41:56 PM
That wont be Murray then.......
Post by: itstime on September 04, 2008, 06:47:05 PM
I don''t think Andy Murray is essentially anti English. Like many rational and sane Scottish people England has been historically our biggest sporting rival. (mostly in football) A desire to see any rival vanquished is probably fairly normal if we''re all honest. Take for example England versus Germany. Most English friends I have would say that they would support anyone against the Germans so why would Andy Murray say anything other than he wanted England to be beaten. Not saying I particularly share his views but not sure why he should be lamabasted for being honest.
There may be a school of thought which suggests that any UK team should be supported by all members of the Uk but in real life this rarely happens. We mostly are all happy to support a UK team eg in the olympics be they English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish but Murrays comments against a purely English team are no different to those England supporters who would love to see Germany (amongst others eg. France, Argentina) to loose.
These rivalries are years if not centuries old and not necessarily examples of Xenophobia. Let''s all just live and let live.
Murray does not represent Scotland, like it or not he represents the UK.
Post by: kalkan wife on September 04, 2008, 08:23:35 PM
Eniste
A Spurs fan I assume...........
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 05, 2008, 08:53:09 AM
i will laugh everytime Murray gets beat... ;D
Post by: newballs on September 05, 2008, 03:49:03 PM
I don''t think Scotland can be called a genuine ''rival'' of England. While Scotland may like to see England as a ''rival'', I think England just feel embarrassed if, when on the odd occasion they lose at something to Scotland.
  England never used to dislike Germany, this all changed in 1939 and we all know why.
  I wonder how Andy Murray feels about Germany?
 To me Scotland and the Scots are just English who live up there, like the Welsh or Cornish who are English who live over there. Britain is one country,
 So come on Murray, Scottish, Brummie, Cornish or Gordie wherever you are from in our country, good luck
Title: Are scots English who live up there ?
Post by: fidimax on September 05, 2008, 04:00:06 PM
 Hiya Newballs,I wouldnt go up to Scotland and tell a scotsman he is "Englishman" who just happens to live up there,you might end up in a haggis ! and isnt Cornwall a county,not a country ?

New balls please ! Neil. >:D
Post by: sally on September 05, 2008, 04:31:56 PM
I think the Scots would prefer to call themselves British!
Post by: fidimax on September 05, 2008, 04:40:43 PM
Hiya Sally, I have to disagree,all the Scots I know do not want to be linked with being a brit or English,
they are Scots and proud of it,gordon brown is not a typical example of a Scot,I will be in Scotland next
w/end I might ask if they want to be called Brits or Scots ?

Neil. ;D
Post by: sally on September 05, 2008, 05:06:34 PM
Hiya Sally, I have to disagree,all the Scots I know do not want to be linked with being a brit or English,

Sorry, I didn''t make myself clear, Neil - I meant that they would far prefer to be called British to English. I know about Scottish pride, I''ve lived there for some years - and loved it, apart from the climate & the short winter days (I was N of Aberdeen).
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 05, 2008, 05:11:08 PM
while i''m laughing when Murray gets beat.... i might even jump up and down!! i might even jump up and down laughing and clapping!! ;D ;D >:D
Post by: fidimax on September 05, 2008, 05:13:09 PM
No probs Sally,we fly up to Innverness next fri and will be staying in Tomintool (?) for four nights, my wife
has a lot of relatives in brechin,Scots/Italian.

Neil.
Post by: fidimax on September 05, 2008, 05:15:19 PM
You crack me up Mr Lizard. ;D ;D
Post by: Em1 on September 05, 2008, 05:37:02 PM
Hi
The Welsh are definitely not English people living in Wales, same for the Scots...ask them if you dont believe me!!! ;D
Em
Post by: misty on September 05, 2008, 06:48:27 PM
The only thing the Scots want from the English is our money !!!!
Post by: jayne on September 05, 2008, 07:45:31 PM
I blame Braveheart.
Post by: itstime on September 05, 2008, 07:48:02 PM
Absolutely not, we''ve got more than enough of our own  :)
Post by: newballs on September 05, 2008, 10:15:57 PM
Actually itstime Scotland has never had much money and has always begged borrowed or more often than not stolen from England, whilst Scots seem to believe ridiculous infactual stories like Braveheart, did they ever teach you about the ''Darian scheme'' in the 1690''s [forum members can google in] and the state of Scotland before the Act of the union, when England saved the Scots from almost certain  starvation.
  Perhaps someone could email it to Andy Murray
Post by: itstime on September 05, 2008, 11:09:12 PM
"Braveheart" an absolutely awful film, which I can''t watch without wanting to reach for a sick bucket.
I''m not here to have a debate on the rights and wrongs of Scottish history. Everyone has their own views on the past and most informed by their or their teachers views on the subject. I prefer to see the future rather than some version of the past and hope that we all learn to live together in some kind of harmony, each respecting the others view point. The world is a big big place, with plenty of room to share experiences and learn from past deeds.
This all started as a discussion about tennis let''s agree to share our viewpoints, rejoice in our differences. Wars have started over petty disagreements so lets try and make that a thing of the past. Not sure what all this has to do with Andy Murray  ???
Post by: sally on September 05, 2008, 11:18:29 PM
To get this back on track I shall be rooting for Rafa tomorrow - nothing to do with nationality - I just know whose Nikes I''d rather have left under my bed  ;D
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 06, 2008, 07:36:07 AM
in part of the Braveheart film the scots stood on a hill  bent over and lifted there Kilts...there was a whole line of Andy Murrays on show!! :D :D >:D
Post by: itstime on September 06, 2008, 09:22:56 AM
LOL Sally he is indeed "fit" Can''t help now though being distracted by trying to count the number of times he roots around down the back of his shorts  :o Since it was pointed out during Wimbledon I now find it difficult not to be distracted by it
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 06, 2008, 09:38:22 AM
he only does it for the crack :D
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 06, 2008, 03:05:53 PM
My BH is Welsh and would take a dim view of anyone calling welsh, english people living "over there".....and I''m inclined to agree  >:(
It does cause a problem when we go abroad and we''re asked "are you from England" and my BH barks back "Wales". Once at JFK airport arrivals the baggage security guy asked the same question - he wasn''t native to US and when he got the Wales bark he confused it with Scotland and starting going on about haggis. This resulted in several security guys surrounding us, insiting that we open our cases to prove we were not trying to bring banned foodstuff into the country... :o :o
I tell him to just say we''re from the UK and be done with it...
Post by: itstime on September 06, 2008, 06:26:54 PM
No wonder the Scots are so bitter towards the English. ::) ::)

Hmmmmmmm a bit of a sweeping generalisation there in my humble opinion. Lets not veer towards xenophobia. I''m sure there may be "some" Scots, Irish, Welsh, and many others bitter but will not accept such a blanket indictment.
Remember this thread was about Tennis and Andy Murray in particular.
Post by: coppers1 on September 06, 2008, 07:33:53 PM
Jeez  -  what a lot of hostility towards us poor Scots, by you insecure, tedious, "Engerlish".
Shame that you have no-one in the top 10, sorry top 20, sorry top 30, sorry top 40 etc... of World Tennis!
Must be really hard to take when you have approx 10 times our population?

Still, you did win something once didn''t you - about half a century ago.
Well done, diddums.

Only joking ;D >:D >:D

Dave
Post by: misty on September 06, 2008, 09:02:51 PM
Yes but at least we can play decent football................... 
Post by: coppers1 on September 06, 2008, 09:31:29 PM
You could be right, lets see  -

Scotland (16th in World Rankings) beaten by Macedonia (56th in World Rankings)

England (15th in World Rankings) beat Andorra (186th in World Rankings).

Scotland were crap today but England were....... brilliant??

Congratulations - fantastic result!

I reckon it must just be about time for someone to suggest that you will win the whole damned competition.......as usual!

Post by: ian on September 06, 2008, 09:33:34 PM
I see that as I write  Murray is leading Nadal 2-0 when rain stopped the game. A pretty impressive performance by the boy - I wonder how that nice Tim Henman (remind me what did he ever win?) would have faired against such a strong opponent.

And as for football - you must be joking!

What a depressing xenophobic ''little englander'' thread this is.

Here am I thinking that this site has a mutual respect policy, cleary doesnt apply to offensive comments against us Scots.

Post by: newballs on September 06, 2008, 10:17:12 PM
What offensive comments
Post by: misty on September 06, 2008, 10:19:58 PM
I hear the Scotland football team went to Fantasy Island.....and lost !!!!
Post by: ian on September 06, 2008, 10:33:31 PM
New Balls - you ask what offensive comments! Come on - ''rooting around in his shorts'' comparing Murray to a penis in another post- really funny?  Short sighted, offensive and downright spiteful comments and frankly bordering on the racist. Wonder if they would have been allowed to continue if we were talking about to an Indian or Turkish sportsman?

I am a Scot and the comments offend me.
Post by: coppers1 on September 06, 2008, 10:43:40 PM
What do a 3-pin plug and the England Football team have in common  -  they''re both useless in Europe!

You are locked in a room with a rattlesnake, scorpion, alligator and Jimmy Hill and you have one gun and two bullets  -  what do you do?
Shoot Jimmy Hill - twice!

The seven dwarves are trapped in a deep mineshaft and are all believed dead.
Suddenly Snow-White hears a weak voice from the depths crying "England are going to win the World Cup"
"Thank god" she says   -   "at least Dopey survived!"

What''s the difference between the English and a jet engine?
The jet engine eventually stops whining!

Have a nice day

Dave
Post by: misty on September 06, 2008, 10:50:20 PM
At last a sweaty with a sense of humour......
Post by: itstime on September 06, 2008, 10:56:04 PM
I''m sorry but this is now getting out of hand.
Post by: coppers1 on September 06, 2008, 10:57:50 PM
At last  -  A sweaty who can type a reply!
Post by: sally on September 06, 2008, 11:00:09 PM
Murray is obviously playing brilliantly.  Should he win he faces Federer in the final - who showed Djokovic (sp?) how to win!!
Post by: itstime on September 06, 2008, 11:01:38 PM
can anyone advise what happened to the post I initially took offence to. The one claiming that all Scots were bitter? It now seems to have disappeared.
Post by: newballs on September 06, 2008, 11:48:04 PM
Ian,
   I think the ''''rooting around in his shorts,'''' remark was made by itstime, who I think is a Scottish lady, and I think she is referring to Rafael Nadal, who I think is Spanish.
  The discussion between itstime and sally is not about Andy Murray. who incidently I''''m supporting to win

As for the poor jokes coppers1, why show your hand so readily.

I think most people on this thread are disappointed with Murray''''s attitude not the Scots in general

Post by: coppers1 on September 07, 2008, 12:29:33 AM
Poor jokes?  -  I thought they were pretty funny myself!

As far as I am concerned, Newballs, these posts have been a bit of banter and nothing more, although there has been a bit of an anti-Scottish slant to the earlier ones.
No need to get all defensive now that the boot is on the other foot, is there?
As the old saying goes  -  "If you give it, you have to take it!"

As for "showing my hand"  -  your insecurities are showing!!

It was HUMOUR  -   a bit sarcastic, but humour, nonetheless.

And yes, I fully appreciate that you started off by wishing Andy Murray well in his game, but you then, amongst other things, suggested that we Scots were basically a nation of thieves

Pot and Kettle, son!!!

Dave
Post by: turkeyfan on September 07, 2008, 09:34:32 AM
I agree coppers1.  I thought your sarcasm was funny and i''m English. 

I think that it''s strange that people take offence by jokes.  My mum was born to Irish parents in England so therefore I feel a strong bond with Ireland and the Irish but it does not mean that I can''t see the funny side of jokes about either Irish or English, or jokes about blond girls when my hair''s been lighter, or jokes about people who wear glasses when I wore glasses.....etc etc.

People need to lighten up and not take offence, when offence was not meant.  This site is supposed to be light hearted, please let us remember that and not be so sensitive.

By the way, did you hear the one about the blind Irishman with the blond girlfriend............. only joking!!  ;)  ;D ;)
Post by: misty on September 07, 2008, 09:56:31 AM
Well said......in fact I envy the Scottish and Welsh you take pride in your flag and nation...if I do the same being English I''m a racist....work that one out.

Misty
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on September 07, 2008, 10:12:47 AM
EnjoyKalkan Safety

This topic is under currently under moderation and may be subject to change. If you are offended by any comments please email safety@enjoykalkan.com

Post by: sally on September 07, 2008, 10:33:54 AM
Such a shame this has degenerated - I think there are quite a lot of us who are genuine tennis fans on this forum.

The ''rooting round his shorts'' remark is often being said about Nadal who seems to have to pull the back of his shorts down before he serves - he''s got his obsessions that guy - look at the way he places his water bottles!! 
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 07, 2008, 12:47:53 PM
I would dislike Murray whatever Nationality he was,i find him rude, arrogant, a bad sport and scruffy.
    am i racist? hardly ..my parents are scots..i have a scotish name and a tartan...i however was born in England and am English
   i will still the reserve the right to cheer every time Murray gets beat.. ;)
Post by: fidimax on September 07, 2008, 01:40:07 PM
Maclizard in Blue tartan,now that IS something to talk about.!

:o ;D ::)
Post by: itstime on September 07, 2008, 01:50:21 PM
LOL shed the skin and don a kilt  :o
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 07, 2008, 02:47:59 PM
you just want to see my lizzardy legs!! :D
Post by: newballs on September 07, 2008, 04:49:44 PM
Does anyone know what time the match is being resumed tonight [Turkish time]?
Post by: Ahsap Man on September 07, 2008, 04:58:48 PM
Newballs, it''s on at 21:00BST, so 23:00 Turkish time
Post by: newballs on September 07, 2008, 05:12:26 PM
Thanks Ahsap Man, greatly appreciated, if you watched it yesterday it was amazing how ordinary he made Nadal look, I thought he was in complete control, Nadal was only getting points when Murray made errors it seemed.
  Let''s hope this interuption doesn''t do to Murray, what that fateful interuption filled semi-final at Wimbledon did to Henman in that match against Ivanisivich
Post by: poppy35 on September 07, 2008, 08:29:09 PM
Having read some of the derogatory comments regarding the Scottish Nationals it make me feel ashamed to be English some of you people should really look at yourselves and your offensive comments
Post by: Ahsap Man on September 07, 2008, 08:42:56 PM
poppy35 , please explain the derogatory comments?  Why do you feel ashamed to be English, even if you are are embarrassed by other people''s comments.   
Post by: Ahsap Man on September 07, 2008, 09:31:23 PM
Newballs, it''s good to see Andy look really strong, his ground strokes have really improved with real depth and penetration, he looks the real deal and capable of winning grand slam.  I actually think the break might work in his favour, Nadal will be spooked, but lets'' see what happens!
Post by: sally on September 07, 2008, 11:07:53 PM
Murray has beaten Nadal!!  He faces Federer in the final tomorrow!
Post by: Ahsap Man on September 07, 2008, 11:08:43 PM
Can I be the first to congratulate Andy Murray on an amazing victory against Rafael Nadal, whilst not a great fan of his, a great win!
Post by: newballs on September 07, 2008, 11:13:09 PM
I tell you what, I nearly got my bagpipes out!
  What a fantastic victory, and what a great match well done Andy Murray
Post by: coppers1 on September 08, 2008, 01:00:51 AM
Thought he had lost it a few times, but what a finish!!!
Great to see a  British  player (who just happens to be a Scot) in the very top echelons of world tennis!
He has a very good recent record against Federer,so I think he has a great chance to lift the title.
Let''s all wish Andy the very best of luck, whatever our personal feelings happen to be - to have a British Champion would be brilliant!!!!
I think it was approx 70 years ago that one of our countrymen last won this competition, so it is a really big deal!
Putting the Malt on ice already!!!

Cheers,

Dave
Post by: federer on September 08, 2008, 06:32:31 AM
 :D  well done    ANDY MURRAY.......wot a result
Post by: itstime on September 08, 2008, 07:48:20 AM
Had a feeling he would do it this time , well done Andy. Maybe we''ll see him smile a bit more now  :)
Post by: newballs on September 08, 2008, 09:10:54 AM
Hey federer,
Put the kettle on I''m coming over for a swim. 
We''re going to both need a kilt fitting ready for tonight!
  Does anyone know a good shop in kalkan where we can get a kilt made in a day

Post by: federer on September 08, 2008, 09:23:44 AM
deuce ...... ;D   ketttles on ....dunno about you in a kilt ....hows ure knees   >:D
Post by: federer on September 08, 2008, 09:26:33 AM
hope you are all eating ure words now...come on its a FANDABBI result  :-* ::) :angel:
Post by: newballs on September 08, 2008, 09:34:47 AM
sutli shekersis, my knees? FANDABBI? is that an anagram? or something Murray might be saying at the end of tonights match?
Post by: Enişte on September 08, 2008, 09:43:21 AM
Just saw his press conference on the Beeb this morning - still a miserable get, but fair play to him, a stunning result.  If you are searching the shops for kilts, see if you can find me a cowbell and some cheese.

Still hacked off about the Grand Prix - a cynic might suggest that Ferrari always get their way and that there is a clash between Hamilton''s heritage and Max Mosley''s (Head of FIA, the F1 governing body) family''s political leanings.  A cynic might, but I could not possibly comment.
Post by: misty on September 08, 2008, 12:59:14 PM
Nadal was off form Murray was lucky.......... he will get spanked in the final.
Post by: coppers1 on September 08, 2008, 01:42:39 PM
Misty,

Absolute rubbish!
Nadal played an excellent match, but Murray was better.

Sour grapes?

Dave  ;D
Post by: fidimax on September 08, 2008, 01:54:40 PM
Im not really into tennis,but I watched Murray last night,anyone who shows guts and bottle like that should
be supported,English,Scot or Brit, the kid did good !
Post by: misty on September 08, 2008, 02:25:25 PM
Coopers

No way, he was lucky that Nadal was not 100% lets see how he gets on in the final.....
Post by: yelkenite on September 08, 2008, 05:23:37 PM
I didn''t see the match but astonished at the result. There''s always an element of luck in tournaments at that level - not all thru the match perhaps but on occasion. Whatever the mitigation the guy deserves our unbridled support. Just imagine how we''ll feel about him if he takes Federer later.  Everything crossed on this one!   Bill
Post by: yelkenite on September 08, 2008, 08:41:58 PM
You would!  lol
Post by: misty on September 08, 2008, 08:47:29 PM
My prediction 3-0 to Roger................
Post by: jayne on September 08, 2008, 09:31:16 PM
I know sports personality is a contradiction in terms but really!

I wish him good luck but he needs to lighten up big time.
Post by: sally on September 08, 2008, 11:06:46 PM
3 -0 to Roger is looking fairly likely at the moment!
Post by: itstime on September 09, 2008, 08:19:33 AM
Federer was just too strong in the end for Murray. Hopefully his time will come in the not too distant future.
Post by: misty on September 09, 2008, 08:35:43 AM
3-0 As predicted get in there Roger..............
Post by: Sheez on September 10, 2008, 01:09:15 PM
I will NEVER cheer for this spoilt unmannered inconsiderate so called ''sportsman''.

Gonna use up all my good karma on the paralympic athletes - aren''t they AMAZING
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal