Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on June 29, 2008, 07:59:37 PM

Title: Just got back - our Kalkan holiday report - June 08
Post by: Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on June 29, 2008, 07:59:37 PM
Hi everyone

Jon and I have just got back very early this morning so if any of this doesn''''t make sense you know why as I''''m fallling asleep at my keyboard !

Well even though this has now been about our 7th visit to Kalkan we still had a wonderful time and saw new things. The EK 70''''s night was fab and it was so great to see everyone there- people who were in Kalkan for the first time and people who were repeat visitors. Everyone was so friendly and it was good to put names to faces. Jon has now uploaded the photo''''s in the gallery of everyones antics !

We actually managed to drag ourselves away from the pool and go on a couple of trips this time. The trip to Meis was fantastic. The Meis Express is a lovely boat with seats downstairs and mattresses that you can lie down and chill out on upstairs. We opted for the upstairs option which was great as we got to take some lovely photo''''s of Meis on our arrival and then lie back and relax on the way back. Most people were fast asleep on the way back gently snoring away. Meis is a charming place ,very pretty. We mainly just wondered around the side streets and had some lunch and drinks around the harbour. We were there for about 5 hours which was just enough really. I would recommend a trip there and we took some lovely photo''''s which I will upload.

We also went on a jeep safari which was great fun. We visited Xanthos where we got to wonder round the amphitheatre, see the tombs and the old church. It was very hot though so I would recommend taking plenty of suncream, water and a hat. There is  small cafe there where you can buy refreshments.From there we went to the carpet factory which wasn''''t my sort of thing but it was interesting to see how the carpets were made and seeing the silk worms. There was also no hard sell which was good.

Next was the best bit, a visit to Saklikent Gorge where we had some lunch on the riverside and wondered up the gorge. I know people have suggested not hiring the shoes there and we bought some of the croc style shoes, however the ones you can hire looked fine and were quite funny as the men''''s ones were plastic and in the style of a black office shoe  ;D. My shoes were actually rubbish and had no grip for when I was clambering over the slippery rocks in the gorge . I actually slipped and few times and went slidding down the rocks much to Jon''''s amusement but highly embarrassing to me  :o . This was especially true when I had two people pulling me over the rocks and two people pushing me up from behind so that I didn''''t fall  ::)

Next was a trip off road on the river beds where we had great fun going through some water and having water fights with the other people on the jeep! If you go on this trip don''''t wear your best clothes as you do get a bit wet and very dusty. I was grey by the end of it from all the dust! We then went onto Patara beach and had a nice cooling dip in the sea and then a quick stop at Letoon. The day was really good fun and gave us a chance to see parts of Turkey we had never seen before. Thanks to Mehmet our tour guide and the other driver (sorry I''''ve forgot your name if you''''re reading this) for being great hosts and providing us with a memorable time!

This time we ate out at restaurants we hadn''''t tried before. We had lovely meals at Alternatif, Arena and ''''Kayra By Jimmys'''' at the harbour. We also had lovely meal followed by some (strong!) Brandy Alexander cocktails at Doyum.

We also spent a lovely Thursday afternoon stuck on our terrace for couple of hours after Jon locked us out !! Having set off all ready for a trip to the market Jon realised he had left the spare set of keys on the other side of the door and when he tried to lock it he couldn''''t. The problem was we couldn''''t open the door either. After a few minutes trying to see if we could fit through a window (we couldn''''t -too many Efes  :o) Jon then tried to shake the door and push the key in with his foot to loosen the other key on the other side, however what happened then was that the external key snapped and was also stuck in the door !!  :o Finally we managed to get a maintenance guy to pick the lock for us and get us back in much to the amusement of all the staff who said this had never happened before. A forewarning to owners in Club Patara don''''t leave your spare key on in the inside  ::).

The weather was glorious as usual and was getting hotter so anyone heading off is guaranteed sun, sun and more sun !

We met some lovely members off this forum who I''''m sure will become great friends ! We also met lots of locals who said they loved the forum and reading the reviews of their restaurants. So thanks again for everyones contributions and here''''s to meeting more members in September !
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal