Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: Enjoy Kalkan on June 15, 2008, 04:32:52 PM

Title: Mozzie Bites!
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on June 15, 2008, 04:32:52 PM
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would put a post on........ as I would really appreciate any tips on how to get rid or speed up the removal of Mozzie bites!! My arm is covered in them for some reason, just one arm, but spread all the way up! Nice image eh!

Anyone any tips on how to get rid of it.... lots of Efes seems to reduce the itching but not the redness!   :D

Cheers

Jon
Title: Re: Mozzie Bites!
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 15, 2008, 05:04:32 PM
have you tried one of those amonia pens..they stink but seem to work ;)
Post by: Chucky on June 15, 2008, 05:30:16 PM
Ask at the Pharmacy, they do a clear gel ointment that is really good, sorry I cannot remember the name of it. Also I used one of those electronic gadgets that I bought in Superdrug, they were pretty good at stopping the itch.
Mozzies really like sweet northerners!!!
Post by: itstime on June 15, 2008, 05:41:11 PM
Hi Jon

the pharmacy will give you a gel. can''t remember the name but in an orange coloured tube. Best thing I know is to hold ice on them for as long as you can bear it and just simply keep re-applying the ice as it melts. Relief is only temporary but feels good at the time. If they blister then again go to the pharmacy. They lanced mine one year and poured brown stuff all over (think it was iodine based). gave instant relief.
Post by: sally on June 15, 2008, 05:55:04 PM
The name of the gel is FENISTRIL - it''s great.

I take one-a-day anti hitamine for a fortnight before going on hols & every day whilst there, which stops me getting prickly heat. A sid effect is that any mossie bites I get seem to come to nothing!
Post by: RosiB on June 15, 2008, 06:21:21 PM
Another clear one from the pharmacy which works well is SILEX (?).
Ros
Post by: fidimax on June 15, 2008, 07:41:01 PM
Any cheap strong alchohol,dont drink it!!!!!!! rub it on before you go out at night,seems daft,but it works. :o :o >:D Neil.
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 16, 2008, 10:08:25 AM
RosiB is right ...my lizardess gets bitten badly and uses "STILEX".i''d forgotten all about it. i live on the south coast and have the sea at the bottom of my road,,the mozzies are blighters and this gel takes the itch away quite well
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on June 16, 2008, 05:33:49 PM
Thanks everyone  :D
Post by: Growler on June 17, 2008, 03:27:12 PM
I visited kalkan (for the 12th year) last week and, as usual, had a wonderful time. However, this was the first time I had been there in June and I was bitten mercilessly by a tiny black fly. Every time I went out in the sun I was surrounded by these little horrors, with the result that my head, arms and legs were covered in bites, which itched like mad and, once I''d scratched them, turned nasty. I tried covering myself in anti-mozzie spray, but to no avail. The local chemist gave me some ointment which reduced the irritation, but did not prevent them biting me. I believe these monsters were "Olive flies". I must say that they somewhat spoilt my trip as I had to spend most of my time indoors (a shame when you''ve rented a villa with a pool). Does anyone have any ideas how to prevent them biting me? I seem to be particularly prone to insect bites and am told that it is possible to take some form of vitamin concoction before the holiday to give oneself some protection. By the way, my fellow holidaymakers were grateful to me for taking the flies away from them (and I had washed......honestly!).
Post by: sally on June 17, 2008, 03:49:11 PM
Some people swear by Vitamin B taken some while before a holiday to alleviate the effects of bites. I still swear by anti-histamine (see my earlier post in this thread) as a cure for reaction.
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 17, 2008, 05:34:43 PM
i take anti histamine for hayfever so when i go to Kalkan i have been full of the stuff,when i''m biten they come up in only small dots that itch for a day ..i can live with that...if you are going to try antihistamine try buying "Galpharm hayfever and allergy relief"  it is available in Asda,Wilkinsons,lidl,It is half the price of the more famous brand names and contains the identical amount of Cetirizine.... ;)
Post by: sally on June 17, 2008, 05:49:41 PM
Thanks for that tip, blue lizard. And it does say not to mix the anti histamine with ''alkihol'' - so I always take mine in the morning :D
Post by: suelees on June 17, 2008, 05:58:10 PM
After reading blue lizard''s post I just nipped across the road to Wilko''s before they closed and their own is even cheaper than Galpharm with the same active ingredient.  99p for a week''s supply.
Post by: yoyo on June 17, 2008, 08:24:14 PM
I also take anti histamine while in Kalkan, but have found that Germaline helps dry up any bites that I do get fairly quickly (bit smelly I know but you don''t have to put loads on!).
Post by: mellocello on June 17, 2008, 09:31:24 PM
Hi all,
New to the forum and enjoying reading all the info.
I have a few school mums who are turkish and are helping me learn the language.  They have mentioned this year in the north of Turkey, Istanbul in particular, that a new insect which bites, is poisonous.  It gives you flu symptoms and unfortunately, supposedly 34 times has been fatal.
One mum in particular has family there and knows of a friend who has been very ill with this bite.

Any one heard of this?  Hopefully it will keep itself to the north.

Don''t want to get bitten, already have in England!
MelloCello
Post by: Cuddles on June 18, 2008, 08:14:31 PM
Grumpygranny and I always take a tube of ''''''''Witch Doctor'''''''' gel. It seems very effective at relieving the itch and, it can be carried in a pocket when you go out. Those mozzies make me very grumpy, always sticking their proboscis where it''s not wanted.
The olive flies appear to go mainly for the head, I found that using Asda anti dandruff shampoo seemed to ward them off. However, this was not a clinical trial and the only sure way is to wear a hat which crushes my golden locks and makes me quite irritable.
Post by: BevJam on June 18, 2008, 09:28:03 PM
I seem to remember that the olive flies only come every other year when the olive trees flower? Is that right? Plus do they last all summer?

Does anyone know please?

Cheers Bevjam
Post by: littlelin on June 18, 2008, 09:35:04 PM
Well the olive flies were in abundance last year and although not quite as bad this year, they''re still a pesky nuisance. It seems they''re around every year, normally the end May/beginning June. Even wearing a hat doesn''t deter them. My head''s itching just thinking about them...
Post by: RosiB on June 18, 2008, 09:38:45 PM
They''ve been horrible for the last three years at least!!!

Ros
Post by: Marni on June 18, 2008, 10:21:01 PM
We found them unbearable this time but were assured that they are only around during May & June and that when we are back in July they will be gone.  Fingers crossed.......
Post by: Hilary on June 18, 2008, 10:35:42 PM
I always take with me citronella candles to light on the balcony when we are sitting out after the kids have gone to bed. They work a treat. I can honestly say that in the years I have travelled to Greece, turkey and the Carribean I have had very few mozzie bites
hope this advice is useful
Post by: Mrs B on June 18, 2008, 10:47:35 PM
Avon Skin so soft fresh dry oil spray is reduced to half price on line at the moment.  :D
Gonna give it a try this year in Scotland and Kalkan and see if it works for us.

Post by: felicity on June 19, 2008, 07:35:32 AM
I found that the Avon skin so soft helps me - and also is quite a moisturiser - if a bit greasy....but I found that on my ankles - I needed to top it up with Sinkov or Off but for the rest of me - particularly arms etc - it was usually sufficient..!!!

Cheers!
Post by: MartynE on June 19, 2008, 10:12:54 AM
We have found that the Boots insect wipes work really well. Just wipe them over all exposed(!) areas and it sems to keep the little blighters at bay. Otherwise I''''d get eaten alive; for some reason the mozzies really like my blood, but they seems to avoid Fiona''''s... maybe they prefer warm-blooded to cold ... ? (only a joke, Fi, honest   ;D).
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 19, 2008, 10:22:03 AM
anybody interested in anti histamine tablets..i''v justcome back from our local shops..SAVERS are selling "Galpharm hayfever and anti allergy tablets" for 49p...these are identical to zirtek etc which are near £3   cheap as chips!! ;)   
Post by: Hoca on June 19, 2008, 12:33:03 PM
Do you not buy them here they are 10 lira for 20 tablets at 150 mg
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 19, 2008, 01:14:17 PM
no..i paid £2.94 for 42 tablets.... ;)
Post by: Enişte on June 19, 2008, 01:27:11 PM
Excellent VFM!  Is that not approaching trafficking?!

Can we not find some medical expert to tell us that mozzies are allergic to aniseed-related spirits?.....
Post by: Hoca on June 19, 2008, 01:38:50 PM
Thats very cheap must be a sale
Post by: sally on June 19, 2008, 01:48:28 PM
We have found that the Boots insect wipes work really well. Just wipe them over all exposed(!) areas and it sems to keep the little blighters at bay. Otherwise I''''''''d get eaten alive; for some reason the mozzies really like my blood, but they seems to avoid Fiona''''''''s... maybe they prefer warm-blooded to cold ... ? (only a joke, Fi, honest   ;D).

The other point about the insect wipes is you can carry them in hand luggage when flying to Turkey. If you are landing after dark it is a good idea to use them before getting off the plane.
Post by: Mercimek on June 19, 2008, 02:00:47 PM
I''m in Gocek at the moment and being eaten alive by olive flies- that usually leave me alone....I guess I taste of foreign blood from Kalkan!
Post by: yelkenite on June 21, 2008, 12:38:08 AM
I''m just back this evening from Kalkan, and the Olive Fly thing really drove me up the wall too.  I know they''ve sprayed up and down the Kalamar Road to keep the Mozzie population down this year, maybe they could figure out something to resolve the O/F population explosion that appears to have taken off out there.

Post by: DRBD on June 28, 2008, 08:44:46 PM
They have all probably been choked by the smell of the tarmac on the new road ;)
Post by: Mustafa Raki on June 28, 2008, 08:55:41 PM
Does anybody know if mosquitoes eat olive flies? I was wondering if there was a link between the lack of mozzies and the extra numbers of olive flies. I''m probably wrong but I thought I''d ask. 
Post by: jinfizzz on June 28, 2008, 08:56:37 PM
I think OH ate a few while he was dozing!
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 29, 2008, 04:32:27 PM
I had a very bad allergic reaction to mosquito bites about 6 years ago whilst in the South of France and ever since then I''ve done the antihistamane thing two weeks before and during holiday, no perfume, lots of Deet (...yes I know it''s pretty awful stuff) and haven''t been badly bitten since.....until this year in Kalkan!!!!  I did change my routine, and used Avon Skin So Soft dry oil spray but unfortunately it didn''t work for me. I had some Jungle Formula with me, just in case and topped up with sinkov when that had gone and wasn''t bitten again. Since the France incident, I''ve always brought some HC45 on holiday with me and needed it this year. Providing you have not broken the skin when you''ve scratched, this will shrink the bites to a flat red mark in about 3 days.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal