Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Pompeyalbie on October 19, 2019, 07:51:28 AM

Title: JAWS Has Arrived
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 19, 2019, 07:51:28 AM
After being missing since May 2018, we are back. Up at silly o’clock to be driven through the lakes of West Sussex to Gatwick we boarded our EasyJet flight to the promised land. I have to say the plane, flight & staff were a world better than Thomas Cattleclass, only downside we were in the  row in front of the screaming baby. Our first visit to the new terminal and getting from air side to the car park was a doddle, only moan was the loos seem a long was away from the carousel our luggage was on.
Anyway met by the car hire representative and led to a nice Dacia, which was an upgrade from what I expected and hit the road, made good time and came round the bend to give Wendy her first view just before 4. We are back staying in the Lycian City complex where we initially stayed when we first started coming to Kalkan. Songul is still here and remembered us. The villa is huge, sleeps 12, but a bit dated but who cares we are only sleeping there. Because of the trees it is a bit dark but the roof terrace is lovely and sunny, up here typing this, oh and weirdly enough there are very few plug sockets, in fact in the main bedroom there are 2 lamps on bedside tables but nowhere to plug them in.
After a bit of provisions shopping, wish I knew Turkish for cheese as the round sealed back I bought turned out to be butter, we unpacked, freshened up and headed down to town. Had a quick wander down through town and back to our usual first night restaurant Alternatif. Mustafa met us with his usual welcoming hug and gave us a balcony seat, it was only 7pm so town was quiet. Needless to say the meal was as good as ever and the bill was reasonable for 3 people when you divide the total by 7 it comes out at less than £25 each which is less than you’d pay at home for the equivalent. Back home knackered and in bed by 10, it had been a long day.
After a good nights sleep up to glorious sun, off into town to book up the Yildiz boat then maybe breakfast at Fener. I’m due a haircut & shave at Eddies so might squeeze that in then who knows what we’ll get up to.
Title: Re: JAWS Has Arrived
Post by: littlelin on October 19, 2019, 06:03:20 PM
I take it you were on the 06:50 flight same as you will be next May? I used the plane's toilet about an hour before we landed as I know that the toilets are few and far between. Here's a tip, when leaving the airport, head down past all the taxi drivers and on the roadside are some toilets, no charge for using them and a lot quieter than those inside the terminal.

Thanks for the blog, only been back a week and still on the "this time last week" memories.
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 20, 2019, 07:53:49 AM
Typical day 2, down to harbour to book up Yildiz, managed to get Wednesday, on to Fener for breakfast. I managed a full Turkish while Janet & Wendy went cereals then off to Eddies for a shave & haircut while the ladies sat at Yale watching the second half of the rugby. After a pit stop at Merkez they had a wander around the shops ending up at MissSilver to see Ozay & Tumay where no surprises I ended up buying Janet’s birthday present.
Finally got them back to the car and off over to Adam’s to book for dinner.  No need to say we were welcomed like long lost family and sat drinking apple tea & catching up for ages. Back to spread the rest of the afternoon floating on a lilo in the pool.
Picked up by Adam a 7 for a lovely evening sat outside with a pitch black sky behind us enjoying a fantastic meal as usual, Wendy’s face was a picture as he brought my lamb shank to the table all ablaze.
Off to Calis to meet up with friends today and the sun is glorious.
2 mishaps so far, I have mislaid my Raybans somewhere and when I went to put on some trousers last night found the pair I’d brought were 38” waist when I am now only 34 so good job I had others.
Post by: Kalkan regular on October 20, 2019, 06:11:17 PM
The 38's will fit before you go home. Enjoy.
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 22, 2019, 06:25:07 AM
Day 3 was spent in Calis Beach with friends, there was supposed to be an air show but was cancelled at the last minute, still lovely to catch up and sit in a bar chatting.
After a shower & freshen up it was off to Barharat for dinner, our first time there but after reading good things about it Ithought we’d give it a go. Very busy and the Chateaubriand steaks were very popular with customers, me ? I had the stuffed calamari.
Day 4, blimey all downhill from now on, I took Wendy for her first Turkish Bath at Atlantis Wellbeing, normally I wear my swimming shorts but was told no shorts so ended up with strategically placed towel!! Careful moving when I had to turn over etc with my step daughter being a few feet away!
Her next maiden trip was for lunch up in Islamlar at our usual stop the Village Cafe. Needless to say it was lovely and ridiculously cheap. Came back the scenic route around the mountain and Bezirgan to show her the wonderful scenery. While she retired to the pool Janet & I went into town to drop off my glasses for a lens update at Goz. After the nice lunch we were overly hungry so postponed going to Sade and opted for ISO’s Kitchen, another first for us. Janet wasn’t happy with her choice so they took it off the bill which was kind, I enjoyed the swordfish casserole which was delivered all aflame.
Day 5 is our usual Tuesday trip to Fethiye Market via the water bus at Calis, I need a new pair of brown bumpers as the heal of my current pair decide to separate yesterday as we were walking back to the car.
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 23, 2019, 04:59:53 PM
Where the hell has this week gone? Tuesday is our traditional journey to Fethiye market via Calis Beach to get the water bus over. Busy as usual and lovely to hear the traders with their calls and banter. I just love the food section with.the wonderful smells of the spices and the amazing fruit & veg, how do they  grow cabbages the size of barrage balloons? They are huge. Managed to replace the canvas shoes that fell apart on me with my negotiator knocking off 40TL from the price and a couple of jumpers also at a reduced price and apart from a bag of apple tea for my sister that was it. Even managed to keep the shopper away from the diamond shops in Fethiye.
Dinner was at Sade and needless to say it was as good as ever. I rolled back the clock to our very first visit there by having the same meal, stuffed sea bass followed by deep fried ice cream. It was nice to see them very busy in there.
Today was out on the Yildiz boat and what a cracking day it was, just 7 of us on there so plenty of room and great swimming, the sea was calm and not cold at all. Food was glorious as always and we won’t be eating tonight as tummies are full, maybe just go down for a drink and people watch.
Wendy has talked me into going on the parascending thing by Indigo tomorrow as we saw it up this morning, should be a laugh.
If I don’t post anymore you’ll know I missed the boat coming in to land. Wish me luck.
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 24, 2019, 03:20:56 PM
Last full day, after breakfast it was down to the harbour for my date with destiny. Just after Indigo you go through swing doors and descend onto a wooden platform to be kitted out with your life jacket then onto the speedboat. Once you are harnessed up it’s onto the back where you are clipped to a bar and the parachute it attached and off you go to be towed around the bay. It was a beautiful clear morning and the view from on high is fantastic. Coming down was a bit hairy as gusts of wind made them abort the landing so off we went again for another loop and a successful landing this time. It was brilliant for an old geezer like me.
Next stop was the market for a mooch around and a stop for a gozleme, I love a nice banana & honey one from the stall in the fruit & veg area.
Back to the villa for an hour by the pool then Janet & I popped into town, she was interested in a jumper in Belma’s but it didn’t feel right so we left empty handed, yes miracles do happen. Next stop was toMerkez to order a couple of sandwiches to take to the airport then down for drink at Fener.
Last night so back to Alternatif where I think I’ll have my first steak of the week.
Post by: Kevin Norwich on October 26, 2019, 05:33:06 PM
Great stuff, it sounds like you have had a lovely break!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal