Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: mjweedon on April 25, 2008, 05:03:40 PM

Title: smoking in kalkan
Post by: mjweedon on April 25, 2008, 05:03:40 PM
Hi,

Does anybody know whether there is smoking in the rooms and bar of the Meldi hotel?
Also, can you buy cheap, genuine cigarettes in Kalkan to take home to the UK?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Mike.
Title: Re: smoking in kalkan
Post by: felicity on April 25, 2008, 05:11:55 PM
Hi Mike - certainly at the bar - as the bar is outside anyway!!   :o  Not sure about the rooms - why don''t you e-mail Fatih and ask him....meldi@meldihotel.com

Cheers!

PS:  you will have THE best time at the Meldi!
Post by: mjweedon on April 25, 2008, 05:15:34 PM
Thanks Felicity,

I gather from your posts that you are a regular visitor there?!..

Looking forward to it.

Thanks again.
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 25, 2008, 05:17:30 PM
hi mike.....don''t know about the hotel ...you can buy ciggies in Kalkan but the choice isn''t as good as the airport,you can buy when you land and depart,The ones at the airport you know will be genuine from duty free,you will also ensure you get your brand at the airport...if you buy fakes they can take them away from you...(ex smoker) ;)
Post by: mjweedon on April 25, 2008, 05:19:52 PM
Thanks Blue Lizard,

I will buy them at Dalaman airport when we depart.
Much appreciated.

Mike.
Post by: felicity on April 25, 2008, 05:26:32 PM
Hi Mike - yes - still a regular visitor there - although no need to stay there anymore (and non smoker - which is why I don''t know about smoking in the rooms) as we have our own lovely place in Kalkan - but they are all still our really good friends and we can all be found there - most days (kids filling up my tab..!!)..when are you going to be staying there..???
Post by: mjweedon on April 25, 2008, 05:30:35 PM
First week in June - so fingers crossed the weather will be good.
Looking forward to the Meldi and Kalkan.
Post by: Chucky on April 25, 2008, 05:34:53 PM
You should check with the Hotel as the No Smoking legislation came into force this year.as part of the EU Harmnisation. I doubt you will be able to smoke anywhere in the hotel, but it maybe wise to check.
Joan
Post by: felicity on April 25, 2008, 06:05:03 PM
I''m sorry - Mike - will miss you - I will be there propping up the bar during the second week in June - and the weather will be lovely then -for sure!!  Enjoy it!!

I had a feeling that the EU harmonisation has 18 months to take effect...sure there is a thread on this already...but you would do good to check with the Meldi!

Cheers!
Post by: mjweedon on April 25, 2008, 06:12:41 PM
That''s a shame. Well hopefully we will be back again and will find you propping up the bar then.
Thanks for all your advice and help - much appreciated.

Mike.
Post by: Shevil on April 25, 2008, 10:00:30 PM
Hi! I don''t know about Kalkan but I went to Side two weeks ago, and I certainly didn''t see any effects there what so ever of the new smoking legislations. Everybody smoked everywhere, inside as well as outside :D
Post by: Hilary on May 01, 2008, 11:46:28 PM
we will be staying in Korsan Apartments. At home I always have my ciggie outside. can I do this at Korsan on the balcony?
Post by: Chucky on May 02, 2008, 08:17:52 PM
Hi Hilary,
I have e-mailed Claire and will let you know her response.
Joan
Post by: sally on May 02, 2008, 10:53:38 PM
Can you let me know too please Joan - worried smilie!
Post by: Chucky on May 02, 2008, 10:57:26 PM
Will do Sally, if the worse comes to the worse, you will both have to join me on my balcony.  ;)
( But Ismet will still tell us off)
Post by: sally on May 03, 2008, 01:37:28 PM
Thanks, Joan. I''ll bring the gin :D
Post by: Chucky on May 13, 2008, 10:09:26 PM
Just an update for Sally and Hilary,
You will still be able to have your crafty fags on the balcony.
I will look out for the smoke signals!!!!
You can still join me for a gin & T :D
Post by: Shevil on May 15, 2008, 09:12:20 PM
I get that you''ll not be able to smoke inside restaurants but most tables are set outside, will it be banned there as well? I surely hope not, I can''t imagine sitting with my Efes and not being able to smoke unless I leave my beer and cross the street or something...
Post by: Chucky on May 15, 2008, 10:01:03 PM
The feedback I have been getting is that the no smoking ban for restaurants, bars etc does not come into effect until next year, but perhaps recent visiters can give us their feedback?
Post by: misty on May 15, 2008, 10:18:04 PM
Lets hope the non smoking mafia dont get thier way as in the UK.
Post by: Diane on May 15, 2008, 10:30:18 PM
I am by no means an expert on the culture of the Turks but it seems to me they embrace the idea of ''non-conformism'' where various laws are concerned. Take the motoring rules about wearing seat belts / wearing crash helmets and maximum numbers on a motor cycle for instance. I think it highly unlikely that any law banning smoking will be as well adhered to as in the UK.
Post by: Em1 on May 15, 2008, 10:31:57 PM
Hi
Those of us that are asthmatics hope the ''non smoking mafia'' do get their way as in the UK...and also stop  the twenty smokers puffing together at the entrance to every bar and restaurant!
Em
Post by: misty on May 15, 2008, 10:44:28 PM
Better leave my pipe at home.
Post by: Layla on May 16, 2008, 06:12:21 PM
There were no restrictions on smoking indoors in March 2008.  The word was ''sometime in the future'' re the ban.  Layla x
Post by: Chucky on May 16, 2008, 08:24:52 PM
Thank you for that Layla   :)
Post by: felicity on May 18, 2008, 12:38:45 PM
Pinched from the ''other'' TA Forum - is the following link saying that the smoking ban is now taking effect all over Turkey as of tonight 12.00 AM TSD.  However cafes bars and restaurants have until July 19th 2009 to comply!

http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=104671

Cheers!
Post by: BarbH on May 21, 2008, 11:03:27 PM
Hi there,

I am new to this forum although have been looking in regularly,

We will be at The Neldi from 9th June - our 3rd  time. Lovely hotel and so friendly,

I am sure you will be able to smoke around the bar but not sure about in the room. You could do last September but now the laws have been changed....I do not smoke but our friends did.

As regards to cigarettes, I always buy for friends and buy them on the plane where the prices are really good. Last year we paid £28 for 400.

Weather is getting very hot out there around the 30s today.I am now hoping for a better exchage rate before we go! )

I am sure Mike you will have a lovely time,

Barbara
Post by: Mercimek on May 22, 2008, 06:44:18 AM
The present ban is only meant for enclosed areas, so an outside bar or restaurant would not qualify. I have only seen no smoking signs in one place in Turkey. This was a small lokanta in Kumluca, in April- despite the signs the staff and other customers were puffing away.
Post by: freeat on May 24, 2008, 10:23:25 PM
It''s considerate not to smoke in enclosed areas, but ok outside, I don''t think smoking is as bad for you in Turkey
Post by: Hoca on May 25, 2008, 06:55:06 AM
You mean that Turkish cigerettes are more healthy ? :P
Post by: Tatilde on May 30, 2008, 02:12:39 PM
It was so much better at Dalaman airport last night with nobody smoking. (Sorry Brooksie!)
Post by: Brooksie on May 30, 2008, 04:42:14 PM
Somehow I new you''d say that Tatilde. Sorry we missed you after we got our bags, I think you got your stuff well before us. It was lovely to see you both again. See you both soon for lunch. Oh and thanks again for lending us Colin for the DIY.
Brooksie
Post by: Tatilde on May 30, 2008, 07:13:53 PM
You can have him any time!
Chris
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal