Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Alibobs on September 28, 2018, 06:45:50 PM

Title: Kalkantalya
Post by: Alibobs on September 28, 2018, 06:45:50 PM
As a long time lurker on this board I said I would write a report of our next trip to show support for Enjoy Kalkan.....so here goes......we (me and hubby, mid 50s! are relatively new  (6 years) to the delights of Kalkan and indeed Turkey but have made up with it with our  tenth visit looming. We love our holidays, even more so since hubby was diagnosed with leukaemia 2 years ago. He remains well and we are making the most of every minute . He has given up a demanding job and now works part time so more scope (but less cash)  for holidays. We keep trying to find an alternative to Kalkan but don't think it exists .
This year we had two weeks in Kalkan in June and a sneaky ten days in Dalyan in April. We loved Dalyan but it's not Kalkan .
This trip is going to be slightly different but I think I can write about it here as Kalkan features. Tomorrow we fly to Antalya where we spend a couple of days before travelling to Cirali, Kas, Kalkan (5 nights), Fethiye , Dakyan and fly home (Surrey)  from Dalaman in two weeks. We were given the idea by Kalkan4eva who we met in a very small car en route to a day in Meis!
I love the preparation for holiday almost as much as the holiday itself. Usual routine is to lay out stuff on our sons bed about two weeks before and ponder over it. Son is currently living at home with his fiancée in order to save money so the spreading out of stuff is much curtailed. probably a good thing as we are only bringing carry on luggage due to our touring itinerary .........our 5 nights in Kalkan is in an apartment with a washing machine so plenty of opportunity for clean smalls!
Anyway we are off out to,friends tonight , just reminded hubby of the dreadful,hangover he had last time we flew to Turkey so he's elected to drive . Result!
Next time I write we will hopefully be in Antalya and even more hopefully not to,affected by the impending hurricane. I don't have room for a pacamac or a brolly!
I

Title: Re: Kalkantalya
Post by: Alibobs on September 29, 2018, 11:04:30 AM
Sorry for the itinerant commas in my report!
Post by: Alibobs on September 29, 2018, 11:10:21 PM
So I write this from my hotel room in Antalya, (Mediterra Art Hotel)  we were recommended the hotel by some Kalkan friends and although it is very dated, it's clean and brilliantly situated in the Old Town. Our flight from Gatwick was uneventful, the plane wasn't full so we asked if we could move seats. They said we could, subsequently a huge group got on and surrounded us....there were three babies under a year and a couple of toddlers.......lots of crying and seat kicking but I tried to keep positive. It was very different In Antalaya airport, it is so much bigger and busier than Dalamn. There must have been several flights arriving together and there were at least 500 people to go through passport control. Single line queues as well but I picked a good 'un! Trying to find our driver was a game in itself, there were so many drivers waiting, I had to read one side of the 'road' while hubby did the other, a bit like a royal walkabout!  Twenty minutes later and we were here, dumped our bags and hot footed to the nearest bar for wine and sustenance. Absolutely fab atmosphere, Saturday night is  very alright in Antalya ......I had a lasagne made with meatballs which I enjoyed, hubby just had a toastie. It's now 1.10 am local time so sleep beckons ........we have a ground floor room about 19 yards from the breakfast  area so earplugs are primed.  Rubbish wi fi so hope this posts
Post by: Lynne T on September 30, 2018, 11:25:20 AM
Wonderful a holiday post 😁 enjoy your time in Turkey . I can’t wait to hear more.
Lynne
Post by: Lynne T on September 30, 2018, 11:36:47 AM
And please can we have some photos too 😊
Lynne
Post by: Kalkan regular on September 30, 2018, 08:10:25 PM
Alison, Turkey can be an adventure, enjoy whatever you do on your way to Kalkan.
Post by: Alibobs on October 01, 2018, 08:14:11 AM
So that's Antalya done and dusted 😉 We had breakfast yesterday, our co diners were a mix of Turkish, German , Dutch, Chinese and Japanese people - Antalya is a cosmopolitan place indeed. We spent the day doing a ( self guided, indeed self made up) walking tour of the old town. It is very pretty, lots of eating, drinking and shopping opportunities too, although the shopping will probably be limited to scarves this visit due to hand luggage situation. We'd expected terrible weather due to the first hurricane in modern Turkey hitting ( the forecast on Friday had been dire)  but we were blessed with lots of sunshine and a few clouds. A light lunch at the top of the old town followed by a glass of two of vino overlooking the harbour. A nice view but not a patch on the view we love! the old town becomes quite sedate in the afternoon but then becomes lively at night. We chose our dinner spot based on that tried and tested method of walking around and seeing what 'looks nice' ......had a lovely meal, shared some grilled calamari which was fabulous and en we chose our old faithfuls - lamb chops for me and kofte for hubby.  Prices very good, we had that, plus a huge plate of complimentary fruit and a bottle of Deluca for the equivalent of £30 . We were given a very nice table but ten minutes later the band showed! Three musicians playing and singing Turkish songs - they were very well received by the rest of the diners and certainly created a great atmosphere but was it loud! I'm a little hoarse this morning. We are just packing up now and off to Cirali we go.  We both said we are glad we came to Antalya but are also glad we were only here a couple of nights as it's very busy and impersonal - as you would expect in a big city. We have already caved in on out planned bus/ dolmus transfers and booked a transfer - such good value and less time used . 
Post by: Alibobs on October 01, 2018, 08:18:01 AM
PS We will try harder with photos - we never take many ourselves....usually come back from holiday with pictures of one of us sitting in a restaurant with a drink taken by the other 😉 Hubby took a few yesterday but the wi fi here isn't good so won't upload yet
Post by: Alibobs on October 01, 2018, 08:19:24 AM
Apologies again for typos and bad punctuation- it kills me to see it too!
Post by: Lizilu20 on October 01, 2018, 12:43:12 PM
Loving it Alibobs, thank you  :-*
Post by: keith on October 01, 2018, 04:04:49 PM
Thanks for sharing your holiday Alibobs. It's nice to hear about your experiences in the different areas and I can't wait for the Kalkan instalment. It sounds as though you are having a great time and I really appreciate you taking the time to write.
Post by: Lynne T on October 01, 2018, 07:24:24 PM
Wonderful, enjoy your holiday, we never take photos either and I managed to load 3 on the website this year . I’m still waiting for some lovely likes 😔
Lynne
Post by: Alibobs on October 01, 2018, 08:45:38 PM
Oh my days, this blogging is hard work!  So a great transfer from Antalya to Cirali ( arranged via Alper in Kallkan, by far the best deal) Arrived at the Hotel Villa Monte at lunch time, dumped our bags and went straight for a walk to the beach and the Olympos ruins. Weather again better than forecast but very windy and intermittent cloud. Reading about issues at Dalaman yesterday I think we have been very lucky. Cirali really is a one street town - reminds us so much of holidays we had in Greece in the 80's. we had an excellent pide and gozleme for lunch and then hubby had a haircut.......back to the hotel ( very simple, family owned, very friendly people) for a freshen up and then out for an excellent dinner, steak for hubby, mixed grill for me, complimentary mezzes and dessert .....again the magic £30 mark. We strolled back down to the beach after dinner for drinks, 2 humungous glasses of wine, 20 lira each. That plan for tomorrow is breakfast followed by a day at the beach, then a trip up to the chimera at dusk followed by dinner at the beach where we had drinks tonight. Need to finish now, got to listen to Counterpoint with hubby 😉  the waiter took some pics tonight but they are on hubby's phone, this is my tablet, will try and do something in the cloud so you can see them
Post by: Alibobs on October 03, 2018, 09:07:18 AM
Tried twice now to post about Cirali and it's been lost - on our way to Kas now - will try and recap
Post by: Lizilu20 on October 03, 2018, 09:17:26 AM
That has happened to me Alibobs, many times and it's so frustrating. I copy it to notes now then paste it back when the wifi is good enough. I've even emailed it to myself before now and then copied and pasted etc Hope you recover it as I'm very much looking forward to reading.  :)
Post by: Chris_S on October 03, 2018, 10:57:46 AM
lizilu - funny that!

Exactly what I learnt to do!.  Apart from encouraging you to correct the unspelling check, and correcting the wayward punctuation, it does mean you can make your contribution in easy stages, rather than enforced sessions.
Post by: Alibobs on October 03, 2018, 03:14:41 PM
So third time lucky telling you about Cirali, am e mailing myself as advised so hopefully this will be kept. I do remember at school that the first effort was always the best so apologies. Day 2 in Cirali - we had a lovely Turkish Breakfast in the garden of our hotel - the Villa Monte has only 8 rooms , the owners are from Antalya and nothing is too much trouble for the guests it seems. The hired help I think was Thai and it was a bit disconcerting as she bowed each time we walked past but she could whip up an omelette and fry eggs like a Local. We spent the day on the beach and in the evening took a taxi to the Chimera. I'd read up on the trip and they advised sturdy shoes, a torch and to be aware it's a kilometre climb up and then the same down on rugged terrain.......omg they were not kidding. The walk up was ok, it was dusk , it was steep in parts and there were some small steps, some steep steps, some gravel, some rocks ......if ever you've walked from the Likya to the Yali it was like that and then some. We got to the top as it turned dark and it was amazing to see the little fires dotted all over the landscape ......Id heard that it can be disappointing on some occasions but not last night. It was really dark, no moon so the effect was heightened. Coming down was far more tricky - our taxi man had given us torches, without them it was black - we met some people coming up without lights and tried to help them as much we could but it's not to be recommended. Hubby had a hip replacement last November and I was so fearful he'd slip and dislocate it but we made it - it was so slippery in places.  I'm really glad we did it - one of those places you need to see with your own eyes. A bit far from Kalkan but if ever you are Antalya bound do it. Dinner on the beach , mixed grill for him , chicken shish for me, great balloon bread and fruit for afters.....along with a beer and bottle of wine we hit the £30 mark again , it seems to be the bench mark of the holiday. Another great breakfast today, the highlight was a crispy fritter which appeared to be just batter......nice with a bit of honey on anyway! Transfer to Kas turned up as planned - I think they sent Turkey's very own Lewis Hamilton......not the most relaxing journey, hubby who is a bit of a speed merchant himself was hanging on to the passenger seat with both hands......such a windy road , driver seemed to accelerate into each turn on the wrong side of the road but we made it safe and sound. Checked into the hotel ( Cinar Butik)........£30 a night, I know why but it's clean and has a four poster bed!.?! .............went for a walk, had obligatory pide lunch and now holed up in a beach club, white wine 60 lire a bottle......... Our plan for tomorrow is to return here and head down to Kalkan about 4pm........I think our 'travelling round Turkey by bus and dolmus' may turn into a taxi, at 100 lira it makes life so easy .......... Now debating where to go for dinner........first world problems indeed   Sent from my iPad
Post by: Alibobs on October 03, 2018, 03:16:17 PM
Ps The photos are not happening - tried every which way but faile d☹️
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on October 03, 2018, 06:53:02 PM
Hi Everyone

Wonderful to read these blogs, sorry there is a bit of an issue with the photos at the moment which I am fixing  :)
Any other issues along the way do let me know... looks like EK needs a little bit of maintenance  :angel:
Post by: Lizilu20 on October 04, 2018, 09:08:52 AM
Fab read again. I love to hear about others experiences and it gives me inspiration to try something different in the future. I love a little holiday within a holiday. Maybe we will try Cirali and Antalya in the future.
Post by: Alibobs on October 04, 2018, 10:47:17 AM
So am writing this from my Kas beach club bed......the hotel  (Cinar Butik) was actually a great find,despite actually only costing £26 for the night with breakfast.....comfy bed and great shower...... the location was up high so had a lovely view from our balcony   We have been to Kas a few times during the day but were keen to experience it at night after coming back from Meis earlier this year. We weren't disappointed - it's really busy and a lovely vibe.  Due to our packing limits we don't have towels, we asked yesterday if we could hire towels at the beach club but couldn't although they offered to lend me one that had been left here , very evidently frequently used! (I'm sure we could have asked the hotel but we've checked out and brought all our worldly goods with us so don't want to hike back)  l  So on our passagiata last night we went past a Carrefour - popped in and saw some half price tablecloths - don't laugh, they look like pestemals and cost 9 lira for two!  We then went down to the town square for a drink , heaving but managed to find a bar with a table and sat and watched the world go by for a while. The restaurant under our hotel was recommended but fully booked so we ate at one opposite......hubby had a seafood casserole which was delicious , I had grilled chicken which was tasty but dry......the restaurant was full, service left a bit to be desired, we shared a calamari starter that we waited ages for then we'd barely finished it before the mains arrived.....another £30 bill for two though. We were also told there is an issue with red meat in Turkey currently so they didn't have any - we said we'd had lamb and beef in previous places and the water said it must be imported -need to investigate that one in Kalkan. We went back to the hotel after and sat on the balcony for ages, you could hear the buzz of the town below and look over to Meis......perfect. Hubby did contemplate going to buy another bottle of wine but common sense prevailed!  There was a lot of balcony chair scraping as others obviously did the same, I resorted to the ear plugs and had a great nights sleep . Breakfast was served by a Julie T Wallace ( Life and loves of a She Devil?) look a like who said there was no coffee, only tea .....hubby queried this and she said coffee was finished.......so he drank tea!  The public transport issue was settled by noting there is a taxi rank directly outside the beach club -100 lira to Kalkan. We plan to leave here about 4 pm We will arrive hot and sweaty and covered in sun lotion but can unpack our cases for 5 nights, shower, try and do  something with my hair which is resembling Medusa's then hit the Mini Bar....I'm really fancying Kalamaki Dragon for dinner......don't normally have 'foreign ' food on holiday but want to try it. Our dinner thoughts for the next 5 nights are Kalmaki Dragon, Ata kebab, a harbour restaurant (trio or Fener ) a rooftop one(Olive garden maybe ) and we may try Adem's place which we've never done. Then maybe breakfast at Kaya one day.  The beach club we are in in Kas (Cinarlar) does a 'beer plate' which may be lunch today......a selection of bread, cheese, borek etc......perfect with a bottle of vino  Happy Thursday everyone   Sent from my iPad
Post by: Alibobs on October 04, 2018, 10:58:44 AM
One other thing......in Antalya, Cirali and Kas we have noticed hardly any dogs but cats everywhere - not a nuisance but lots of them.
Post by: keith on October 04, 2018, 03:39:49 PM
Thanks for another enjoyable read Alibobs. As Lizilu20 says..........it provides the inspiration to try something a bit different when we are out in Kalkan next year.
Post by: Alibobs on October 05, 2018, 02:58:23 PM
So, around 4pm yesterday we hopped in a taxi in Kas - the 100 lira advertised fare was actually 130 lira......we checked this out and agreed the price before we left, still thought it was pretty good value ....it was a beautiful evening as we sailed along the D400.....we had booked an apartment in Kalkan so we could catch up on washing and have a rest from hotel constraints. We've stayed in a mixture of hotels and apartments in Kalkan before and decided on the Han complex this time mainly due to location.......that apartment is fab and so is the setting but I made a huge schoolboy error in booking a ground floor apartment.......no view!!!! I just assumed that everywhere in Kalkan has a view, we stayed in the Emir before, as hubby pointed out they may be close to where we are but up a very steep hill!!! On the plus side hubby was able to get to Yali and back with wine and beer in about two minutes😉 Only a couple of other apartments occupied, they must have thought this new arrival a bit bonkers as had washing out on the line within an hour of arrival and on to the second load. Showered and rested we set off to Kalamaki Dragon......Stopped off at Mini Bar for a pre prandial......greeted by Rami at Cinar like old friends......felt slightly guilty he hasn't made the cut for places we are visiting this time as we like him so much ....... Kalkan was BUZZING! So busy, busier than when we were here at the beginning of June. So good to see....Kaya, Cinar and Mini Bar all said what a good season it's been . Sitting there in the Mini Bar I remarked to hubby we wouldn't see anyone we know as its a different time of year then up popped Sue and Malcolm who we always see in June - the first time they have been in October! They had gone to eat at Baharat but it was fully booked! Another weird but not so pleasant coincidence is that when we were in the Mini Bar about three years ago a cat sprayed from the roof of Cinar onto our table - not nice at the time but we've laughed about it since. The same thing happened last night to another couple - Hassan said it's not happened in ally that time until last night. Strange but true? We headed down to the Kalamaki Dragon - Greek St buzzing, reserved signs at Begonvil...busy all the way down to the Kalmaki Dragon which had one other couple there! We went for it anyway, had crispy duck and a main course each.....really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a change from Turkish food but kind of missed the usual suspects on the menu. Slightly more expensive too - £35 meal this time. A quick night cap at the Mini Bar , a chat with Rami who used to be at the Rhapsody , then back home for a great nights sleep. A couple of weeks ago hubby was reading a Kalkan forum and saw a name he recognised as someone who used to work for him about ten years ago......it transpired it was the same guy and he has a villa up above the D400 between Arcelik and the Samira resort. He offered us the use of it but we'd already booked our Han Inn accommodation. We took a wander up there this morning to have a look and get some exercise - then wandered down to Fener for. Turkish breakfast that negated all the exercise and then some! Decided tonight would be harbour night, after deliberating the pros and cons of all the restaurants we knew we decided to plump for Akin - never been there before. Given its the weekend and Kalkan is so busy we popped by and booked a table. The guy there is always so pleasant when you walk past it's about time we stopped  Then a walk back up to the apartment calling in to Gratis for some shower gel........I saved some really nice travel sized samples at home but forgot to bring them so have been using hotel ones from Antalya and Cirali that smell like Fairy liquid ........got hubby to part with 7 lira for some Palmolive - I'll smell like a princess tonight 😉 Had a swim and now lounging on a sunbed writing this. Think we'll have a drink at the harbour before Akin tonight. Wasn't going to have a drink during the day today but there is some white wine in the fridge that I might just have a  drop of, then a snooze........  Sent from my iPad
Post by: Chris_S on October 06, 2018, 12:15:17 PM
Thanks for the report - it's nice to see some different places and routines written about!

I'm puzzled about "the change from Turkish Food" - I would have thought that was the other 50 weeks of the year >:D
Post by: Alibobs on October 06, 2018, 12:47:14 PM
It's so good to be back in Kalkan......what a fun evening we had last night ...as planned we wandered down to the harbour via the steps yesterday and had a drink at Jimmy's before dinner - on our very first visit to Kalkan we used to spend more time down in the harbour than in town but it's ages since we went down there in the evening. It was really pleasant down there and managed to get a booking on  Yildiz 3 tomorrow too.  Always lovely to see the Yildiz family, I remember Kamil being the age Mehmet is now - time flies. Linekers was well and truly closed, not sure if it's the end of the season for them or a permanent arrangement. I have to say I found the barkers there a bit too much when we here in June and that's not something that usually bothers us - happy to stop and have a chat with any of the guys usually . Didn't visit so can't comment really. After our drinks we wandered up to Akin - walked past this place hundreds of times, always said hello but never stopped. We would definitely stop again - freebie bread and mezzes, shared a starter of fried vegetables which was delicious.......hubby had the special meatballs and I had stuffed aubergine - it was all excellent , especially the meatballs.....the wine ( think it was Deluca) was 60 lira -. Our usual £30 bill was only about £24 - incredible value.  We then decided to saunter back past the Blue Bar as Turkey's Michal Buble was playing there. Not necessarily a Buble fan but love Easy listening....A bot of Ratpack etc. I thought it would be heaving but when we got there it wasn't......by pausing to decide what to do we were kind of ushered in......another 60 lire bottle of wine and all was well. He was a great singer and we had some good banter with some other people.......got back about 12.30 pm. This morning we made our own breakfast and then wandered over to Kalamar for a coffee at the beach club.  Its 's a bit of an unwritten rule that we have decent walk every morning on holiday , hate the hill in Kalamar but always feel better for it . Back by the pool now, we are making our first visit to Adem's place tonight so looking forward to that.  It's a week since we've been in Turkey now, feels like we have been away from home for ages, probably because of the travelling around. Still a couple more days of Kalkan loveliness before we move on to Fethiye   Enjoy your weekend wherever you are   

Sent from my iPad
Post by: tortoise lady on October 06, 2018, 06:29:35 PM
Thank you for continuing to share.   I have often thought of trying to fly to Antalya and spending a day or two at Cirali but not yet managed it so it is very interesting to hear your stories.   

I definitely won't be looking to stay at a hotel which doesn't have coffee for breakfast, I never drink tea.

We certainly had no problem getting red meat in Kalkan last month, I wonder what that was all about.

Glad you have at last tried Akin.   It has been a favourite with us for many years.   I specially enjoy a leisurely lunch there overlooking the harbour but it is a good place for dinner too and they are always welcoming.

Keep up the good work with your reporting.

Post by: Lynne T on October 07, 2018, 08:14:05 AM
All sounds wonderful, are you getting the high exchange rate ? I did think there was a problem with the photo page , hold onto the photos and load them when it’s mended 😁.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday, it’s so lovely to come on the site and people are posting
Lynne
Post by: Alibobs on October 07, 2018, 08:43:19 PM
It's very late in the day today and much wine has been consumed but I am still going to post. Last night dinner at Adem's Place - we got this totally wrong, thought you could see the twinkly lights of Kalkan from there - you can't! We booked for 8pm and Adem came to pick us up - he said we should have come about 6.30pm to see the sun set......basically it was very dark up there and we were the only diners so not much ambiance at all.....his family were all getting ready to go to a wedding as well so felt a bit in the way.......great starters, good main courses but it wasn't the experience I had hope for. We should have gone for breakfast or lunch, can't blame anything other than my lack of research.  Today dawned beautifully sunny and we headed off to the harbour for Yildiz 3. A full boat, 16 of us, as always a great day out, lovely food and lovely company. We were all of a certain age and spent a while talking about Spangles, Double Diamond, the Woodentops etc.......a lovely day. I spent a lot of time in the water, it was so lovely and warm.   Most shipmates had been to Kalkan before but there were a couple of newbies who have fallen in love with the place .. Of course we were so full up we were never going to eat again but after a shower we decided we were a bit peckish.......a couple of drinks at Mini Barbthen we headed up to the kebab place next to the Rose...... something 41... can't remember......had a chicken doner  , hubby had a meat doner , wine and efes all for 85 lire. The guy running it is a hoot, he speaks great English but learnt it in Austria, some translation was difficult but we managed.......... High,y recommended if you just want a quick meal that hits the spot.  Back in the apartment now contemplating what to do tomorrow on out last full day in Kalkan.  One couple on the boat today have a house above Fethiye and they gave us some tips for eating out there when we arrive in Tuesday which is good.  Until it was mentioned in response to an earlier post I'd forgotten all about the red meat, there is certainly no issue in Kalkan - very odd    Sent from my iPad
Post by: Alibobs on October 07, 2018, 08:46:54 PM
Lynne, we changed money back home  in the heady 8.4 days of late August but we've seen 7.6 here. One lady on the boat had brought sterling to change here but said she was getting a better rate at the ATM so will take her money back home -  not sure whether she will be stung for charges though
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on October 07, 2018, 09:35:09 PM
Love reading this, thanks for sharing  :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on October 08, 2018, 10:56:43 AM
Thanks again Alibobs, another great read. I feel like I could close my eyes and be there with you.
Post by: Chris_S on October 08, 2018, 11:48:02 AM
Unfortunately Adem's can be like that.  Dark at night.

Many years ago, we had to take torches to see the food, but that has greatly improved!

God knows who told you that you could see Kalkan lights, must have been Trip Advisor!

Lunch is a good time to go though - so peaceful!

As for evenings, if you go a different night, it'll be busy.  Luck of the draw really - but then again it's places like EK that can help here.

Incidentally, we try to plan our visits to Adem's with the moon.  Not always possible, this year it was a new moon when we arrived in Kalkan, and for the rest it was setting at about 6.30.  Not much you can do about that, as far as I know!
Post by: Alibobs on October 08, 2018, 03:40:58 PM
Chris, I was just saying to hubby last night that I kind of have a June outlook on kalkan.....obviously the sun is setting much earlier at this time of year - going to Adams at 8.00pm in June would have been fine. My mistake and you win some, you lose some.
Post by: Alibobs on October 09, 2018, 09:44:57 AM
So Monday in Kalkan....popped up to the gym by the school - only to say hello to a couple of people lest you were worried! Although the hike up there is a work out in itself!
Then down to the harbour, via the Likya steps,  for breakfast. We were heading for Marina but got waylaid at the Indigo Beach Club and decided to eat there. An adequate Turkish breakfast but not as good as other place and much more expensive. Had to get the bill corrected twice and then had to ask for our change as it wasn't forthcoming. The Indigo is one of my favourite beach clubs, never had any issues there before, maybe it was just bad luck.
A meander back to the apartment for a swim and chill by the pool afternoon.
We had decided on Lal for dinner and booked a table which proved to be a wise move. We also eschewed our beloved mini bar for a drink at Shade Lounge which we really enjoyed - great cocktails (recommend the Gin Spritz) and a great vibe, lovely staff there. So good to see places so busy again.
Dinner at Lal was excellent. Hubby had the wild boar, I had chicken with a mushroom sauce. Deluca was 65 lira a bottle. The guys used to be in Trio I think - great service and friendly chat. People were waiting for tables. A great view of Kalkan at night from there .Can't remember the bill, think it was about £35, we had a starter . Complimentary mojito shots at the end .
Toddled back up the hill stopping to say goodbye to a couple of people and called in for a nightcap at Kaya.
This morning we repeated breakfast at Fener and now packing up to move on to Fethiye. It's sad to leave Kalkan but we will be back of course and it is so nice to still have holiday left. We have tried all new restaurants this time and enjoyed them all in their own way.
We so nearly were going to get the bus to Fethiye but at the eleventh hour we capitulated and are getting a taxi! Such good value and it minimises time spent travelling so more time in the sun. Looking forward to seeing what Fethiye has to offer, my only previous visit there was to a hospital so hoping things will be less fraught this time! Planning on visiting the fish market and being relieved of a lira or two

Sent from my iPad
Post by: Lynne T on October 09, 2018, 06:20:34 PM
Your going to need a holiday after all this packing and unpacking. Enjoy the rest of your holiday, it’s mean to ask but how long have you got left
Lynne
Post by: Alibobs on October 10, 2018, 01:56:01 PM
So we left Kalkan, as always with a bit of a heavy heart , bit on to Fethiye. We are staying at the Yacht Classic Hotel, the only hotel I have chosen on this trip. The choice was purely on the recommendation of someone we met in Kalkan several years ago now but it was a great choice! Arrived at lunchtime, our room had been upgraded so we have a lovely view of the sea ( looking right, look left and it's the main road 😉) Lovely pools, plenty of loungers, a real 'posh' resort compared to hubby's choices. 😉. To be really honest 2 nights here will be perfect , I'm not too good at ' pretend ' environments, I've been known to break out of Centre Parcs and all inclusive resorts in my time. After spending the afternoon by the pool we went for a mooch around the harbour and stopped for a drink at one of the bars. So many boats offering trips, big boats too, I thought we were spoilt for choice in Kalkan! I must say they didn't really appeal to me so much but I'm sure they do well.  Dinner was to be at the Fish Market - we had a bit of advice from a couple of other people, one of them who lives in Fethiye advised us to head  for Hilmi  restaurant so we did. It's an incredible place, I think if you were new to Turkey it could be quite overwhelming, so many restaurants wanting your custom. It was buzzing, so busy, lots of locals as well as tourists too. We found Hilmi and were seated by a friendly waiter who brought us drinks. We'd already decided what we were going to ask for fish wise and chose some huge prawns and calamari. The fish cost was 120 lira. The seller asked us how we wanted it cooked, then back to the restaurant where we chose a couple of mezzes from a selection of dozens.........the waiter came over to confirm how we wanted the calamari and prawns cooked and we were away! Abo solute,y delicious seafood, probably the nicest grilled calamari I've ever had. Prawns were simply cooked in garlic and chilli. We had salad, chips and loads of bread with it......such a fabulous atmosphere in there , hubby made friends with a little Turkish girl and played Peep Bo with her - her parents didn't speak English but we were able to communicate with smiles and nods......The restaurant element cost 160 lira, including a bottle of wine.....the charge for cooking the fish is 10 lira per head. .......a fabulous evening and very special. I would happily go back tonight but hubby is all fished out!  A good nights sleep followed by breakfast Marina side - typical Turkish buffet style, plenty of choice. Watched the yacht dwellers coming in to Fethiye for breakfast/supplies too ....... very nice. We then decided to take a stroll to Calis  beach - 4 miles away but an early level walk following a newish path. Very enjoyable walk, a lovely breeze and lots to see. Lots of investment into the seafront area here made for a very pleasant stroll. A coffee and rest in Calis Beach ( didn't overwhelm me , sorry if you are reading this Frances-Jane of Tripadvisor fame) but pleasant enough sitting watching the world  go by . We got the water taxi back to Fethiye, 8.5 lira for a very pleasant 20 minute trip. Now back on a sunbed by the marina enjoying the sun and a lovely breeze. We've decided to eat at the hotel tonight, have read good reviews , hopefully will live up to expectations , probably will for hubby's wallet! He was just saying that as he bought lira back in August it's actually not costing us anything😉 in fact we're quids in as no outgoings at home while we are here  😉  We've already had the transfer conversation for Dalyan tomorrow  .......a £30 taxi fare or dolmus to the bus station, then bus to Ortaga , then dolmus to Dalyan......I think I know where this is going .....  Sent from my iPad
Post by: Alibobs on October 10, 2018, 01:57:28 PM
Lynne, we leave for Dalyan tomorrow.....2 nights there then home late on Saturday ......
Post by: Chris_S on October 11, 2018, 01:15:39 PM
Personally, we didn't get on well with Hilmi.

Harassment from them as soon as you walk into the market, won't take 'Not yet' for answer, and when you succumb, they told us what they would do rather than what we asked for.  Off-putting, and completely unnecessary.  Bit like the aggressive greeters in Marmaris or Bodrum!

We have found the other restaurants in the Fish Market, generally, far more agreeable.

Only our experience, of course, but we've not been disappointed trying the other restaurants, yet!
Post by: Lynne T on October 11, 2018, 08:15:20 PM
Enjoy your last couple of days , I have loved coming on the site and reading a holiday report well done 👍
Lynne
Post by: Alibobs on October 12, 2018, 02:24:17 PM
Our last night in Fethiye was spent in the hotel restaurant right by the marina. We don't often eat in hotel restaurants but decided to give it a whirl. There was also a local man singing , we didn't know this when we booked but may have explained why it was so busy...100 people plus. We went down for a pre dinner drink only to find it was raining.....fortunately a quick shower and they had put parasols up so we were still able to eat outside....dinner was good, the old faithfuls , mixed grill and stuffed aubergine, beautifully presented.  Service rather sporadic.....loads of waiters but no apparent organisation! A lovely evening again. Breakfast the same as before, great to watch the boats and all the toing and froing of the crews .
A walk around Fethiye taking in Umbrella Street before we left for Dalyan. Such shopping opportunities but didn't even browse based on the fact we have no space.
You may guess by now that we didn't use the dolmus for our transfer - we passes a transfer company called Hamish McTurk, the name stuck in our head and hubby contacted them.....got a good deal with a lovely driver. Due to the Tour de Turkey taking place lots of roads were shut so the driver had to take us out of Fethiye via local roads - so glad he did, got to see some stunning views higher up and he was very knowledgable about local history .
Arrived in Dalyan to glorious sunshine - really hot. We are staying at a small hotel on the outskirts of town, the Montana.....we stayed here in April and were given the 'best room'.....we were greeted like old friends on arrival and  told we had the 'best room' again......it's a different room 😂 It is very simple but spacious and we have a lovely terrace.
Wandered down to the river for a spot of lunch and then decided to get the co-op boat to the beach. We love the trip, about 40 minutes of lovely scenery and just 15 lira return. We got to the beach, hopped off and straight back on one for the return trip! On the way back it started to thunder and saw some incredible lightening. Managed to get back to the hotel before an absolute deluge of rain..............

Sent from my iPad
Post by: Alibobs on October 12, 2018, 02:43:10 PM
So it rained, and then some. We ventured out about 7.30pm by which time it had just about stopped......by the time we stopped for a drink in town it was ok. I hate getting wet but managed to remain grown up about it!
When we were here in April many places had obviously not opened for the season. Like Kalkan ( and everywhere else we've been) they've had a really good season and it was still busy. In April a glass of rosé cost 12 lira at the bar we were in - last night it was 17 so still pretty good.
Dinner at a restaurant called Temsie - it's open all year round, it was busy in April and busier still last night. I had my favourite - liver and hubby had yet another mixed grill. The wine cost us 38 lira a bottle in April - it was 80 last night but food prices hadn't increased and the meal with several free appetisers and a large glass of wine on the house was about £24.....hubby reckoned  Dalyan was about 30% cheaper than Kalkan and the same seems to apply looking around.
After dinner we ended up looking up the Michal Buble guy  we saw last week at the Blue Bar......no 25 lira admission here, even fewer people watching.....it's his last visit of the season here although he continues in Kalkan and is doing a hen night there on Sunday.

This morning had a lovely breakfast in the hotel, Turkish style but brought to the table - lovely breads and pastries .
Then back on the co- op boat to the beach - walked right to the other end of the beach which took about an hour - stopped for a coffee and then walked back. It was a beautiful sunny day today and we really enjoyed the walk at the waters edge, watching the sand crabs scurrying around.
Stopped again for a drink and a sandwich then got the boat back in the glorious sunshine today. Currently sitting pool side debating where to have dinner......

Sent from my iPad
Post by: Alibobs on October 12, 2018, 02:51:19 PM
Chris, interesting to read what you said about Hilmi........we walked in on the opposite side of the market and walked round. We were politely hassled by the other restaurants but told them we were going to Hilmi. The guy who,sat us at Hilmi was charming - gave us a choice of tables and asked us whether we knew what to do. You are absolutely right about how individual experiences can really make a difference. Had  we not had a recommendation we would have probably ended up at another restaurant and still had a great time . I'm glad we knew the ropes before we went as confidence is key in these situations. My daughter has just come back from her first trip to Turkey and said she was glad she knew about the restaurants and shopping before she went 
Post by: Alibobs on October 13, 2018, 12:11:55 PM
So our last day has dawned......feels like we have been away from home for ages - must be because we have travelled around so much I guess.....landing in Antalya two weeks ago seems like a lifetime. We had a mooch around town last night before dinner, ate at the Olive......hubby eschewed the mixed grill in favour of lasagne this time and I had a chicken dish. Can't remember the cost but less than £30 with wine......a wander back to the hotel, stopping for a night cap.
This morning we've walked along the river , a lovely way to pass some time. Stopped for coffee, now back at the hotel contemplating a swim......we are fortunate to be able to keep our room until we leave about for the airport about 7pm. We'll wander into town about 5pm to eat ......
Thank you all those who have read my reports and for your kind comments.  I have waffled in places and seem obsessed with the cost of meals and wine but was trying to use that as a comparison between resorts .I am also ashamed of some of the grammar and typos but I typed as I went and didn't proof read!
We have thoroughly enjoyed our trip, would definitely like more time in Fethiye and Dalyan but Kalkan remains the star attraction. We would do a road trip again but on the same premis as this year, ie already having had a break in Kalkan.
Top 5 things.........

1 Kalkan in general - and Yildiz day out
2 Chimera at Cirali
3 The smell of jasmine everywhere
4 The 15 lira return  co op boat ride between Dalyan and the beach
5 Dinner in Fethiye Fish Market

Bottom 5 things
1 The toilets at Dalyan beach at the end of the day - eye watering, literally
2 Breakfast at Indigo
.....can't think of any more

Hopefully we will be back in Kalkan in May, our son is getting married in June so it's dependant on stag/hen plans......then hopefully a trip in September/October........

Hope Enjoy Kalkan goes from strength to strength

Alison
Sent from my iPad
Post by: Alibobs on October 13, 2018, 06:44:21 PM
I can add to my bottom 5 things list ......the CIP lounge at Dalaman Airport.......its heaving, no air conditioning , no clean cutlery,  no fizzy drinks....keep telling people 5 minutes.......wi fi restricted to one appliance only ( first world problem I know) .......I used to quite like the old lounge, quiet and barely used! Maybe I'm grumpy because I'm going home 😉
Post by: Kevin Norwich on October 14, 2018, 09:34:07 AM
Thank you for your fantastic reports, a very enjoyable read.
Post by: keith on October 14, 2018, 04:04:48 PM
Have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and look forward to reading about your next trip to Kalkan.
Post by: Lizilu20 on October 15, 2018, 03:20:52 PM
So glad you are on board now Alibobs and I too look forward to reading more contributions from you. I've really enjoyed your reports and thank you for taking the time and effort to report back.

When we went at the beginning August, the new terminal at Dalaman hadn't been long open and the toilets in the departure lounge on the way back were diabolical. Broken seats and broken locks. They were dirty and long queues apart from the "traditional style hole in the floor ones"  :o  which are impossible for me to use as the arthritis in my knees prevents me from squatting (sorry for the info  ::) ) but I'm sure I won't be the only person that applies to. It's almost like they've gone backwards instead of forwards with the new terminal.
Post by: tortoise lady on October 16, 2018, 09:32:13 AM
Sorry to hear you had problems in the new airport lounge.   Sounds quite different to our experience last month (I wrote about it separately).   Maybe we hit a good quiet time.   We were there for a 9.30 p.m. flight and so were probably there around 7.30/7.45.  We would have left by 9 p.m. at the latest.   It was a Saturday night.   Maybe different on different days at different times.   Quiet and plenty of seats so able to relax before the flight.   Much larger place than the old lounge.

It would be interesting to hear of other people's experience.
Post by: Alibobs on October 16, 2018, 06:53:51 PM
We were there at the same time on a Saturday - it was very busy, lots of children running around a big group of drunk passengers who were really  noisy, they had run out of glasses, cutlery etc. I wonder if they were taken unawares as it seemed like there were far too many passengers to the ratio of staff.  I thought it was really brightly lit as well......the loos were OK and it did thin out a bit after a while and seemed more relaxed then . I was actually quite fond of the old lounge, food was rubbish there but I liked the seating arrangements and it was always empty .
Post by: Chris_S on October 17, 2018, 11:03:47 AM
Perhaps because it's new(ish) it's being tried out?

Give it some time and then it may revert to people who appreciate it…
Post by: Mags on October 17, 2018, 11:39:58 AM
So glad you are on board now Alibobs and I too look forward to reading more contributions from you. I've really enjoyed your reports and thank you for taking the time and effort to report back.

When we went at the beginning August, the new terminal at Dalaman hadn't been long open and the toilets in the departure lounge on the way back were diabolical. Broken seats and broken locks. They were dirty and long queues apart from the "traditional style hole in the floor ones"  :o  which are impossible for me to use as the arthritis in my knees prevents me from squatting (sorry for the info  ::) ) but I'm sure I won't be the only person that applies to. It's almost like they've gone backwards instead of forwards with the new terminal.

I had exactly the same experience on 8 October. Loos dirty, fixings broken, massive queues. And I have the same issues with "squatters" and knees, so I sympathise with you on that count.
Post by: Kalkan regular on October 19, 2018, 06:24:25 PM
Great reports Alison. Were fun to read.
Post by: kalkan4eva on January 16, 2019, 08:34:32 PM
Oh Alibobs, I'm just catching up on EK after a busy few months and just loved reading your reports...just the tonic for a cold January night! You certainly packed it all in on the trip, just as you planned and I'm so envious of all you managed to get up to! Did I know you are friends with Sue and Malc...another coincidence they usually stay at Han Inn in June.

We wont see you this year as we're out in June - Kas, Meis then Kalkan for us - not quite as adventurous as your wonderful trip :) Say hello to hubby from me and BH and hope to catch up with you again another year.
Post by: Alibobs on April 16, 2019, 06:03:33 PM
Just read your post Kk4 Eva - we have managed  to sneak in a couple of weeks in Kalkan in early May, will miss our June jaunt but very excited for our son's wedding. Staying at the Oasis again, the TC package was too good to pass up
We often talk of the lovely Meis trip and the 'incident' getting out of the Blue Cave - what a lovely day that was. Yes , we have bumped into Sue and Malcolm several times over the years, when we there in October we had just said we wouldn't see anyone we knew as it was a different time of year......Lo and behold they were standing across the road .
Have a lovely summer
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 29, 2019, 07:45:19 PM
It will be lovely to get a bit of colour before the wedding and you cant go wrong with Oasis. Like you our youngest is getting married in June, but June 2020...! So we will miss our usual June jaunt next year- it will be weird as I literally cant remember when we didn't go to Kalkan in June. We might get out later in the year but BH retires this year so everything will change in terms of our visits, I think.
Yes how lucky were we to have Osman's boat to ourselves that day, it was just the best trip we've ever done from Kalkan by a country mile - even with the "incident" :laugh:
Enjoy your trip out in the coming weeks and most importantly enjoy the big day!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal