Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: joycie on June 16, 2018, 02:15:06 PM

Title: Wishing my life away
Post by: joycie on June 16, 2018, 02:15:06 PM
I'm sat minding my own business as you do on a Saturday when the World Cup has started and there's a match on practically at every given minute and Brian is determined to get the most out of the TV especially as he now qualifies for a free TV licence. Anyway day dream time and I look at my watch and realise that at this time next week God and Thomas  Cook willing we will be in Kalkan.
Checked today's corresponding flight and it left a little later than scheduled but what the heck it actually took off.
So will I have had my first Efes eaten my lunch unpacked my 25k Thomas Cook baggage allowance said hello to the cats ? I in all honesty don't know but watch this space and I'll let you know when I do.
Title: Re: Wishing my life away
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 18, 2018, 06:09:25 AM
Oh Joycie, not long now until you are here too, bet you can't wait!  :D :D
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 18, 2018, 02:54:48 PM
Oh not long now Joycie, it seems like there are lots of EKers either in Kalkan or about to arrive very soon. You'll all have to walk round with your EK badges on  ;) Do they still do those I wonder?  :-\ :-\
Post by: joycie on June 18, 2018, 04:29:53 PM
Oh Jayne and Lizilu where’s the time gone?
I really ought to do some packing. I’ve read your wonderful reports and in my head I’m really organised but in reality haven’t got a clue. It must be the 70 word which is going round and round in my head . It’s like being on a roundabout that I can’t get off.
Kalkan will return me to reality and with everything organised I’ve really just got to turn up and enjoy! I THINK.
Post by: Babs on June 18, 2018, 05:02:52 PM
Not long Joycie!  :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: joycie on June 23, 2018, 09:01:47 PM
Were here Tommy Cook and James Martin got us here in good time half an hour early even we were driven to Kalkan at a rare pace and arrived in the heat of the day to begin my 70th birthday celebrations.
Decided to meander down to Town. Botanlk was our first port of call and after a lovely foaming Efes we decided Centers was our choice for our first meal. I had a lovely cheeseburger swilled down with a glass of red and Brian had a mushroom omelette and chips
We watched the boats comd home and then staggered up the town where I plonked myself in Bezigrans with  a brandy and lemonade while Brian went to the greengrocers for tomatoes and mushrooms to go with our illicit bacon smuggled in our case today.
Two red two white 12 Efes and a taxi sped us back to the Villa.
My troubles then began. Brian was going hypo. Florence Nightingale and I are not much of a match. I would cheerfully murder the patient given half a chance especially when I'm on my hands and knees trying to recover the chocolate biscuits which had somehow got under the bed. The state of them wouldn't be believed but needs must when the devil drives and when he comes out of his hypo he'll never know what state the biscuits were in. Jelly babies next cure desperation was really driving me now. Finally the light shine at the end of the tunnel and the patient became more comipis mentis.
He's asleep now and I'm falling on my eye pad trying to recall the day without recalling my evil side and the murder that was almost committed.
Oh well another day tomorrow and who knows what fun we'll get up to.

Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 25, 2018, 05:21:42 AM
Joycie fab report and hope Bri is on the mend now. Enjoy your special birthday celebrations.  :D Sorry that we have missed you.
Post by: joycie on June 25, 2018, 06:36:24 AM
What day is it today? Tuesday I think no Monday my better half informs me. Kalkan mode attacks you as soon as you arrive and the days become a lovely melee of doing a lot of nothing in the most fabulously non productive way.
I'm sitting on the balcony in this lovely Villa drinking a cup of tea and trying to remember yesterday's events with difficulty.
We woke up after a hectic night trying to stuff sugar down Brian and didn't talk much about the evenings events. Always find it better not to. Sat and ate our breakfast and remembered that Dave and More and Phil and Joy (yes another Joy) were coming to join us today.
It's a lovely friendship which has endured over 30 odd years and it was Dave who found Kalkan so we have a lot to thank him for.
Decided that we ought to get a few essentials so off to Carrefour. Through the door picked up a basket each of course I'd forgotten my list. Hadn't got. What we wanted in the fruit and veg so put our baskets back walked past the gleaming fish who were poking their heads out of the ice in the new fish dept back out the in door and down to the lovely greengrocers. It was hot so we went into the first one on the corner bought the biggest radish you've ever seen some red onions a lettuce and some beautiful cherries.
2 lira please and when you think that there are 6 lira to the pound you know how reasonable that is. Back to Carrefour biscuits to replenish the ones from under the bed tonic to go with the gin and various other items which we'd forgotten yesterday. Back to the Villa all sweaty from our exertions so coffee made we retired to the roof terrace for a little moaning about how hot it was.
More plane had taken off on time and like ours did it in about 3and a half hours. Stirling Moss was their driver but they arrived safe and sound and the holiday could begin.
Mandy had texted me to meet up that evening so we could talk about the finer points of my 70th.we went to Black and Gold after a delicious meal at Modi.
Byram excelled himself with the cocktails. We had met .Mandy and Paul in Kalkan a few years ago and they had flown out specially for my birthday with their lovely daughter Hannah. They hadn't eaten so they were off to Coriander we meandered home.
Post by: Babs on June 26, 2018, 03:48:16 PM
Sounds like you are off to a flying start Joycie!  :laugh:
Post by: joycie on June 29, 2018, 01:23:13 PM
Yesterday was fabulous. We meandered down to the harbour and boarded Smile boat. There were none of us and fitted on the boat perfectly. Brian and I sat aft whilst the other sat at the front. We were soon off but out of the harbour it was very choppy. Whisper boat came racing up on the inside but we let him go we weren't in a hurry. It was difficult to moor because of the conditions but we found a sheltered cove not far from Kalamar and tied up with a little help from a gentleman in a motor boat. We had an Efes each quickly followed by a couple of glasses of wine. A little sleep and the most gorgeous lunch was served. Talking happily round the table it was called lovely atmosphere.
I didn't go in it was too choppy for me but I watched passengers from another boat frolicking in the water.
A little later delicious fruit was served and a little later still the best cup of tea in Kalkan with cake popcorn and biscuits.
I didn't have too much because Chef Kazim was coming and I didn't want to spoil our dinner.
We got back to the harbour about six  o'clock got in a taxi and were whisked home in a jiffy.
Kazim was in the Villa and the aroma from the open door was unbelievable. We showered and changed and went downstairs and sat outside. Mor and Dave had bought a bottle of sparkling wine for our anniversary so we switched it down and waited patiently for our food.
Eight o'clock was the allotted hour and nine of us sat down found the lovely dining room table in Villa Sultinyhe.
Five starters and each one was absolutely delicious. The main course was also to die for. Slow roasted lamb which fell off the bone and casserole chicken with roast potatoes broccoli and carrots. Mor had bought some mince sauce with her. Oh it was so divine. Then the baclava and ice cream. Oh wow what a meal.
Chef tidied up and washed up and we retired to the roof terrace for a drinky poo or two before we retired happy and fully red what a 49th wedding anniversary.
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 29, 2018, 01:49:33 PM
Happy Anniversary you two what a lovely way to spend it!
Chef Kazim cooks up a veritable feast and we have been fortunate enough to have eaten what sounds like the same meal you guys had!
Enjoy the rest of your stay!
Post by: joycie on June 29, 2018, 10:23:49 PM
So today was the big birthday with the bought in it. 70 no no no. Looks like I am so grin and bear it and enjoy.
After a wonderful day yesterday today was relax and enjoy. We spent the day by the pool. Lunch was the leftovers from last night's delicious meal and thoroughly enjoyed by all.
We decided to have a drinky poo at Bezigrans, They have the most delightful beagle pupand we watched him chewing somebodies shoe whilst we finished our drinks.
Down the road to Black and Gold and oh my the cocktails were unbelievable. Then a big box was delivered with a lovely lovely cocktail in it.He had decorated the bar with red balloons and I can't think of anywhere that would make so much fuss for a 70 year old.
We got a taxi to Aqua. It was busy but we had booked a table so all was well.
Ok chose stuffed mushrooms and sea bass with prawns. Oh it was do delicious. The music was lovely and we got up and danced. A bit of Zorba the Greek in the middle of the road fabulous.
Sweet was the most divine cake provided by   Mandy and Paul. Wow it was wonderful a free liqueur on the house taxi ordered and home.
Can't describe how I feel about the wonderful people who made my birthday so special.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 01, 2018, 07:18:55 AM
Oh Joycie happy birthday to you!  :D What a wonderful time you had by the sounds of it! Enjoy the rest of your holiday and loving your posts. X
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 01, 2018, 01:08:14 PM
What a wonderful couple of days of celebrations. Loving your reports as always Joycie and a very happy belated birthday to you.  :-*
Post by: Babs on July 01, 2018, 03:49:13 PM
Lovely, happy days to remember Joycie!  :)
Post by: joycie on July 02, 2018, 05:44:33 AM
Oh dear 70 has arrived at an alarming rate. I wet myself laughing actually did and realised that tena ladies were on the horizon now.
Yesterday we packed a small suitcase and awaited the arrival of Abi travel to take us to Kas for the ferry to Meis. It arrived hang on time and the lovely drive on the coastal road was comfortable and speedy. We arrived handed our passports over and with some time to spare went for breakfast. It took ages to arrive and they apologized because they'd made cheese sandwiches instead of cheese omelettes.
It arrived and was lovely so we  got our suitcases and meandered down the harbour to the ferry. It was chaos not sure if that's the Turkish bit  of the Greek bit but after a bit of mayhem we stowed our luggage and boarded the ferry.
Meis was in sight and we went into the lovely little harbour it backed in we disembarked and joined the customs queue.
There was the most gorgeous young Greek/English policeman and we chatted and I thought his different it was to Turkish customs.
Through immigration and now to find our accomodation. Tried a signomi or two and people knew where it was and kept pointing us on. Just round the harbour the little shop knew exactly where we wanted and the lady behind the counter abandoned her post and proceeded to walk us through the narrow streets to our little studio apartments.
They are beautifully done very clean and for an overnight stay perfect. We left our luggage and went back for a stroll round the harbour. It was hot so we decided an Amstell might come in handy but More Brian and I had an Alpha beer each which were just as nice. Got to say Greece is more expensive than Turkey.
We sat there that long that it was time for lunch and the most delightful giant prawns in garlic. Oh my I can still taste them.
An afternoon siesta beckoned then another walk the other way and the most delicious ice cream sat watching the kids jump into the sea.
Showered changed and back out to the same restaurant(the one with the giant turtles) and a large pork chop appeared again delicious.

Then a wedding party came by boat into the restaurant and a lovely talented guy and we think his daughter did some fantastic Greek dancing.
It was getting late time to go what a lovely night. Got back to the apartment and couldn't get in. That wZ where I disgraced myself laughing. Brian went back to the little shop and a lovely guy came back with him and let us in.
Sleep beckoned and another fabulous day before it's back to our beloved Kalkan.
Post by: joycie on July 03, 2018, 06:53:09 AM
Day 2 in Greece. Brian made a cup of. Tea with the tea bags we purchased yesterday.Another glorious hot da y so we got up packed our suitcase and went down to breakfast. It was served yourself but everything we wanted had been left on the table in the little lobby. Guess the owners had gone back to their lovely little shop. I had a toasted cheese and ham sandwich and a drink of orange juice.
We gathered the breakfast stuff together stowed our suitcases behind the desk and walked down to the shop to tell them we'd collect them about 2oclock.
It was hot and we needed more euros. It's certainly more expensive here than in Turkey but lovely in its own Greek special way.
The phrase it's all Greek to me comes to mind with the cash dispenser but the euros appeared and we walked round the harbour. Mor and Dave decided to go to the blue cave. Vassilis had said that today was perfect because there was no swell on the water. I thought better of it I'd watched people getting in and out of the little rowing boats and thought me and my weight would not make it so left Mor and Dave and walked round to the posh hotel on the other side.
We watched the little boat speed off and could see More and Daisy. They didn't s we us but we waved anyway.
At the hotel there was a sign saying that you could hire the sunbeds but didn't because we hadn't got enough time.
The pool side cafe wasn't open yet but a lovely lady invited us to sit down put the umbrellas up and made us two coffees. We sat waiting for More and Daisy to come speeding round the headland. They soon did and I phoned her to tell her our whereabouts. Course because they are in the euro my phone was fine to use.
They found us and proceeded to tell us how lovely the blue cave was but how you had to get right down to get in and Mor hot so far down that she couldn't get up again without a little help.
I remarked that I'd love to see the Rhodes ferry arrive and blow me as if by magic round the corner came this great hulking puffing Billy that filled the harbour with its enourmasness.. somehow it managed to turn and cars lorries and people disembarked in a melle of Greek disorganisation.The ferry took up the whole harbour and we imagined opening the window in the little boutique hotel across the harbour and having a Yassos moment with a bloke on the front of the ferry.
It was soon off back to Rhodes and we waved to the kids on it.
Oh well must be Amstell time so back to Vassilis and his turtles we went.
We had four alpha beers they were very nice. Got talking to a young Australian. The island seemed to be full of Aussies no hats with corks but the accent gave them away.
He told us that he came from Melbourne was here for a week and then going to Amalfi for the next one. His Uncle who was blind had the cigarette shop and had the only licence to sell them on the island. Apparently the Italians had occupied it in the war and the British had bombed it to try and remove them. We had a great conversation and off he went.
Moussaka was my choice and it arrived with chips. Apparently there was only one slice left and as two of us wanted it they'd bulked it out that way. Got to say if they hadn't have told us we would never have known. A free carafe of white wine appeared we'd stayed clear of the red because it was awful and it was soon time to send our way to the ferry. The boys had fetched our cases again no one in sight so we trundled round the harbour and sat in the last little taverna by the duty free shop. I went into the shop bought a bottle of 7star Metaxa and a litre of grouse for Bringing paid for them and was told that they would be delivered to the ferry for us.
We sat in the taverna until it was time to leave.
A much easier experience going through customs than the Turkish end and we were soon sitting on the ferry with duty free in hand.
Lovely crossing and then the nightmare of Turkish customs. They let me and Mor through with our bags which could have contained anything but the boys suitcases were opened. Nothing found and off to the office by the quay to wait for our passports to arrive.
After about half an hour they did and a helter skelter rideensued back to Kalkan.
We quickly showered and changed and walked into Town. I'd talked to John who used to be at Sopranos and was now at the Teras and we decided to eat there. It was absolutely delicious and I'm sure we'll return.

Post by: Chris_S on July 03, 2018, 11:12:00 AM
Not sure the British bombed it, but the Germans certainly did.

If you research Kastellorizo (or Megisti) on Google, you'll find out more.

Another subject to research is "Operation Abstention", for details if the British/Italian/German conflict(s).

One of the more enlightening facts is the evacuation of the residents by the British to protect them from German bombing, some wen to Suez, but most to Australia (see the connection?) where there is a community of c.50,000 now.
Post by: joycie on July 03, 2018, 12:33:31 PM
Thankyou will certainly read upon it.
Post by: joycie on July 05, 2018, 06:13:52 AM
We came back from Meis on Monday and today’s Thursday where’s that gone? It’s really hot at the moment so yesterday we went down to the Town beach. We collected our mattresses put them on our sun beds and I took the monumental decision to throw myself in yon the sea. Now when I say throw myself that’s probably not the correct description I staggered into the inviting blue abyss ducked under the water and oh the sheer bliss. I looked around me and it was mostly Turkish families enjoying their days out. Young women covered from top to toe but nevertheless getting just as much enjoyment as we were. I looked over at our chairs and our bags never ever worried about them. Today to my horror I saw a bag had gone missing. I do hope it’s found because I’ve never felt unsafe in Kalkan and just the shadow of a doubt leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.
We decided to get out of that lovely blue haven and now there was the challenges.Walking didn’t do it do on my hands and knees and then plonked myself on my bottom and sat gasping trying to work out my next move. Mor was stood behind laughing. Back on by hands and knees one two three up you get and I wobbled to an ungainly upright position. I was now hotter than when I’d been in the sea.
Back to The Villa for a dip in the pool. Oh it was so lovely warm and refreshing. Mor and I got out and sat laughing on the sun beds.
Adem was coming for us at seven. I had had a lovely conversation with him on the phone and I was looking forward to seeing him and his lovely family.
We arrived we’re greeted with handshakes and kisses and were shown to our lovely table. There were another couple already there and we sat down and ordered some drinks. Another party of four arrived and Zi looked on the terrace below and could see two or three more tables occupied. The meal as usual was delicious and we sat happily taking in the stunning scenery. It was nearly time to go and guess what a power cut. It was as black as your hat. Adem arrived with lights guided us to our transport. I bought a lovely home made bracelet from his younger daughter. I’ve still got it on now.
We arrived back in Kalkan and Bri and I arranged to return on Thursday of next week.
Mor and Dave are returning home on Sunday so sadly won’t be with us.
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 05, 2018, 01:52:01 PM
Shocking about that bag isnt it? The amount of times we have just left our stuff under the sun bed presuming it would be safe just makes me realise we have been too trusting.

Glad you're having a lovely time and how could you not be in our favourite place.  :)
Post by: joycie on July 07, 2018, 09:14:34 AM
Yesterday Morning and Daisy and Phil and Joy had hired a car to show Joy a.bit more of our surroundings. The guy delivered the car no money changed hands and the four were off.Always amazes me how much they trust us.

Brian and I decided to meander down to the harbour. We stopped off at Brian's massage parlour the little grocery shop/paper shop and sure enough our Turkish masseur was treating the owner to the works behind the counter. A great big grin when he saw Brian  but he carried a stool round and ushered me to sit down.
Covered in a lovely sweet smelling lemon oil he massaged my  shoulders arms and fingers and head and it was delightful. Got to say don't think it would have the same effect if I was sat in the middle of Tesco's at home.
Brian sat on a chair in the corner reading the paper.
I got up gave him 20 lira and he smiled and gave me a kiss with his bristly chin harshly rubbing mine.
We carried on down to Feners and ordered two fresh oranges absolutely delicious. Another two fresh oranges and an Efes and lunch beckoned. Brian had egg on toast and I had cheese on toast.it was served with salad and chips and was just too much but lovely.
We got a taxi back to the Villa and lounged round the pool dipping in and out as required.
The others arrived home after a lovely day and we proceeded to get ready to go out.
We were going up to Aqua and so a drink in the beagle bar was quickly Frank and a six seater taxi flew us to Aqua.
Yusuf invited us to partake of a drink so we chose cocktails which were lovely and after a couple sat down and ordered dinner.
The food in Aqua is beautiful and there were quite a lot diningthere. My main course was lemon sole and wonderful too.
After wonderful sweets which included the cooked I've cream we got into the six seater and flew back to the Villa. Another magical night.
Post by: Babs on July 07, 2018, 05:03:29 PM
All sounds just perfect Joycie!
Post by: joycie on July 08, 2018, 08:15:13 AM
Yesterday was an at home day.  Bri and I meandered down to Carrefour to replenish the fridge. Tomatoes bread Efes cheese various salad items white wine etc etc.
It was so hot not complaining just saying and we drank a cold bottle of tonic water when we got back.
Lunch was lovely a Phil omelette with lovely fresh bread. Mmm
We continued in and out of the pool till it was time to get ready for our last supper. The others were going home tomorrow so we had chosen Mussakka for our feast.
First we went to Botanik. It was empty. It had advertised itself as football free and I didn’t think that it had done itself any favours. All around the bars were packed with the English all
Shouting on their team. We left after a couple of Efes and the street was vibrant with the chants of its coming home. Oh dear I thought to myself the Kalkan perfectionists will be moaning in full force tomorrow.
Bri and Dave went to change some money. Mor and I went to Sports Direct although it isn’t advertised as that anymore except on its carrier bags. She bought a lovely pair of sandals and we walked over to Mussakka. I met my masseur outside the grocery shop. Fag in mouth cap at a jaunty angle and he espied us hoping for another 20 lira. Tomorrow we said and we meandered up go Mussakka.
There was nobody in but we were early. Lovely guys free starter although Bri and I shared some beautiful fish cakes. I had surf and turf and my mouth is salivating now at the thought
Of the wonderful prawns and fillet steak. Couldn’t eat it all so wrapped some steak for Buster. Sweet was chocolate and caramel cheese cake with ice cream. An on the house ameretto followed and with the various bottles of wine that we’d downed it came to about £55 per couple. Such super food for so little money.
We walked out happily and found the six seater taxi to ferry us home. Buster  was given a little of the fillet steak and we filled our glasses and went up to the roof terrace to reflect on a perfect holiday.
Post by: joycie on July 09, 2018, 09:09:18 PM
Oh for heaven's sake how embarrassed am I? We've had a lovely day at the Villa swimming and sleeping. I took my bracelets back to Just Silver for adjustments to their clasps and was told to pick them up this evening.
We spent the rest of the day by the pool.Lovely relaxing day in and out and decided to go to Teras to say farewell to John.
We called in at Botanik first. I had lovely cocktail with brandy and chocolate ice cream Brian had an Efes. They were quite busy but we paid our bill and moved on to Teras. Had a lovely meal with a bottle of house red and then two on the house reds appeared from John.
Brian was a little worse for wear. We staggered to Just Silver picked up the bracelets free if charge and then staggered literally back to the taxi rank. A very kind gentleman helped me get Bridges in a taxi and we spedba k home.
He's sleeping now and I could kill him. I might in the morning.
Post by: joycie on July 10, 2018, 05:38:28 AM
Just a quick up date the patient has woken up alive and kicking a d very embarrassed. Silly old man who I thought was hypo at first and then just knew that all the free drinks had gone to his head. I stopped being Florence Nightingale and became a would be murderess in a very short time.
It was a lovely night last night soured by the libations but we live to fight another day in paradise ..
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 10, 2018, 12:21:26 PM
Joycie I'm guilty of staggering across that road more times than I care to remember so go easy on him  ;D

Your holiday sounds perfect.  :)
Post by: joycie on July 10, 2018, 12:42:22 PM
Thankyou Liz I was very cross with him because I’ve always got thoughts of five years ago in my mind. Lovely Adem was there for us then but last night I was on my own.
His first coherent words were I expect this will cost me? I’m jewellery or bag perhaps both.
Post by: Babs on July 10, 2018, 03:45:31 PM
In a weak moment always stoke hard Joycie.....go for both!! ;D
Post by: Irene on July 10, 2018, 08:44:09 PM
I agree with Babs !  So enjoying your posts Joycie - always a new adventure!!! -  Keep up the good work x
Post by: joycie on July 11, 2018, 08:12:54 AM
Yesterday dawned with a grumpy me and a very keen husband not really talking to each other. I had spent half the night trying to save his life from a diabetic coma and really her had one too many.
I didn't want breakfast (truth be told one too many myself) so Brian made himself a mushroom omelette and I had an orange juice.
I continued to ignore him for a while but life's too short so we lay the pool sleeping because of the nights exertions. Dinner was to be cheese on toast. I got out the Turkish cheddar Brian toasted the bread and under the grill it went. I was hungry and it was lovely.
Back to the pool and a lovely afternoon dipping in and out of the pool watching  paraglider ( which Brian and Dave and Mor never let me forget that they did in Keffalonia) and sleeping a d drinking apple tea.
We had decided to wander down to the Old Town. This lovely Villa is in stepping distance so a meander down the hill was not a hardship.
We passed the Chinese. There was nobody in. It blends so well with the other lovely buildings down there and it's lovely twinkly lanterns welcome you. I hope it does well we had a lovely meal last week and the place was packed.
Botanik was our first port of call. Love this place cool and quirky. The staff always personally welcome you. Two Efes ordered we sat down. They advertised that they didn't have the football  but it doesn't seem to have done them any favours. A gentleman  came in said he'd be back later to have a drink and watch the game but when advised no football he left. They said it would be quiet because of the lack of football so come on all you football haters support the bars who don't have it on instead of moaning about the ones that do.
We talked to one of the lads he was supporting England . He didn't know Birmingham City Brian's team but he knew a lot of our premier teams and of course Turkish teams.
We told him of our experience going through Istanbul airport last year after the big soccer match.Then we left Brian wanted to watch the football.
We sat in Old Style Bar. I think it was Pera's last year. The football screen was erected but not obtrusive in any way and the lovely music kept playing throughout.
We ordered garlic prawns to share as a starter and it was delicious. There were garlic mushrooms in the dish too and combined with their lovely free starter it was a lovely way to start a meal. I had the sea bass fillets Brian had salmon. Both were lovely. Cheese cake for me ice cream for Brian. Two red wines and an Efes £33 now you tell me if that's not value for money!
While we were in there a young couple sat down and looked at the menu. They wanted steak but we're told no steak on the menu tonight.We told them to go to the Teras where we had had a lovely evening the night before they thanked us and left. Hope he didn't want to watch the football they don't have it on there either.
We left and wandered down Old St. All of the restaurants were packed.
We saw John standing by Moonlight Bar and thanked him for the lovely evening before. Even though it was a little hazy in a certain someone's mind.
Back home in a taxi no help required tonight and up to the terrace for a small drinky and  game of crib. I WON.
Perfect end to a perfect evening.
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 11, 2018, 01:41:56 PM
Glad you're back on speaking terms  ;D
Post by: joycie on July 11, 2018, 04:15:22 PM
Oh doesn’t take long life’s too short. On our way to the Elixir tonight for a meal and Bri can watch the football.xx
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 11, 2018, 04:25:48 PM
I bet it’s a good vibe out there tonight. Have a fab evening.  :-*
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 11, 2018, 05:49:17 PM
just catching up with your reports, joycie...poor Bri (or Bridges as he will be forever known... ;D ;D) fancy getting carried away with alcohol on holiday tut tut. I know it must have been worrying for you, joycie as its difficult to tell a hypo from a drunko...
Blame John....but I've no idea who John is...? Blame him anyway...! :laugh: :laugh:

Sounds like you are having a great holiday despite the domestics, thanks for sharing!
Post by: joycie on July 11, 2018, 06:12:33 PM
I know about my typos but I haven’t got my I pad here and every timeI try and alter anything I lose my post. So after throwing my new pad at the wall a few times decided to leave as they were total rubbish but you get the gist.
Post by: Babs on July 11, 2018, 08:53:01 PM
Your typos make it all the more fun Joycie......many a glaring one myself, blame predictive text! Carry on having fun and please keep on sharing  :laugh:
Post by: joycie on July 11, 2018, 09:20:53 PM
We’re sat in the Elixir watching the football at the mo squeaky bum time or what?
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 12, 2018, 05:41:31 AM
Joycie just catching up with your holiday reports, thank you so much for sharing, typos or not sounds like your having a fab time. Glad harmony has resumed now  :D :D. Couldn't think of a better place to watch the football either!
Post by: joycie on July 12, 2018, 01:27:57 PM
I’mhot

The bothered and fed up! We go home tomorrow and I’m trying to do this witness statement on my flipping I phone and my fingers are too big. I’ve lost it on numerous occasions and I’m thinking of just putting ‘this is Joycie Bye I’m off!
After a sip of apple tea I will resume.
Yesterday was spent mainly by the pool. Bri Me and Buster the cat had a lovely tuna lunch
lay idly by the pool and then washed showered and trotted up to the Elixir for dinner and the
footie. I’d never been in before and was impressed. We were shown to a  lovely table for two
and imparted to join in the mess. I think there were about 37 choices and a tad over the top
we opted for garlic mushrooms with cheese on chicken curry with the obligatory chips and Bri had ice cream and me the most delicious yoghurt honey and banana.It was delicious. We made our way next door to watch the game and sat down amongst a lovely crowd who unfortunately kept dropping glasses on the floor. This was the adults not the kids but all was swept up pleasantly by the lovely bar staff. We stood up for the National Anthem and although it wasn’t the required result it was a lovely evening in amicable surroundings.
We decided to walk down to the taxi rank. We passed dejected England fans and when we got to the taxi rank there wasn’t one to be had for love nor money and the queue of hopeful passengers stretched from Bezigrans to the Town beach. Alright a bit of an exaggeration but as there were no taxis on the rank we walked up past Carrefour and home.

Post by: joycie on July 12, 2018, 01:31:36 PM
I think I must just clear up the fact that the mess we were imparted to join was a meze.
Post by: joycie on July 13, 2018, 12:49:32 PM
It’s hot and I’m bothered totally lost the plot. Hey ho here goes. Yesterday Thursday I believe we struggled up to the market. Hadn’t been the last two weeks just couldn’t be bothered. Waved to the butcher as we went by lovely guy and alwsys get our chicken and bbq supplied. Stopped st Nur coffee shop and had two fresh oranges delicious and ready to make the final ascent.
The market seemed quiet. I was expecting it to be busy busy in July but I think people have realised that the Town is just as good value. Didn’t stop us from buying two pairs of shorts two vest tops a dress and t shirt for our great granddaughter and some fake black opium for our granddaughter. I’ve got the real thing and she loves it .
Down into town and an Efes or two at Bezigrans. On to Feners for lunch taxi home and into the pool. We sizzled but it was so lovely. Milk from the little chandlers and taxi back home.
Straight into the pool so so lovely.
When Adem dropped us off last week we asked him to pick us up on Thursday at 7. He didn’t have a pen but sure enough at 7 a taxi arrived Adem having gone off to collect a biggerparty.
We sat on the upper terrace and soaked up the atmosphere and view. Ordered our meal and delicous as usual was eaten and really enjoyed.
Adem took us home. I slept fitfully alwaysdo when I’m on holiday. Tomorrow we go home.
Post by: joycie on July 13, 2018, 07:07:24 PM
This morning I woke with a heavy heart. We go home tonight or early hours of tomorrow to be precise. Never mind one whole day to be enjoyed. I emptied the fridge washed up and went upstairs to pack. Why is it you always take too much and don’t wear half of it. I put aside the clothes I was going to wear home including shoes. Packed the rest including my lovely birthday and anniversary cards. It was so hot not complaining just saying.
We decided to meander down to town. Needed to change some money so the walk to Garanti  Bank to get the sterling out was hard work. We said hello to Kadir at Kaya he offered us tea or coffee but we didn’t have time so we thanked him and we’re said that we hadn’t had time to go to Kaya this year.
Money in wallet down to the jewellers to get lira. 6.30 to the pound.
Lovely Sandra and Keith had given me some money for my birthday so we went to Just Silver and I chose a ring I really liked. It needed to be made bigger I expkained that we were going home. No probs one hour and it will be ready. No money had changed hands everybody is so trusting. We sat in Yali Bar next door and drank Efes. There was only us in there. The hour went pretty quickly and sure enough the ring was done and it’s lovely.
Taxi to Aqua for lunch. Yusuf was in Fetiyhe but the other guys served us arranged for a taxi and  I said we’d be back for our 50th wedding anniversary next yea
Back to Carrefour some tuna for the cat and two more pairs of the cheap comfortable plastic shoes. Home and everything stowed in the cases somehow.
Showered and changed all the tonic drunk a spare Efes devoured I was so thirsty.
Bri as you know is diabetic so needed something to eat after doing his tea time injection. We meandered down go Botanik to say goodbye to the lovely girls and boys there. We shared an
Efes bade our farewells and decided to go to Feners. We headed for a table at the top but it was reserved but they insisted that we took it because we were going home. Brian chose pancake and ice cream and a Turkish tea. I chose the mixed waffle and a glass of white wine.My eyes were bigger than my belly. Couldn’t eat it all but I had a good go at it. I wanted to take a picture of the new pontoon. The kids were having a whale of a time and the
Sea looked really inviting. We carried on to the taxi rank. Al was at Kleos and we explained that we were going home and couldn’t stop. Could have done with a tape recording. Whisked up the hill I’ve never seen so many cars parked at every angle you could imagine.
We’re now sat outside the villa waiting for our transfer.
A long night awAits.
Post by: Chris_S on July 14, 2018, 12:25:21 PM
You take more clothes than you need because it's just in case (pun intended).
Title: Re: Wishing my life awayh
Post by: joycie on July 14, 2018, 12:41:52 PM
I’m tired but after getting the red eye from Birmingham yesterday we arrived home at 5.15 this morning.
First time through the new terminal. Lucky enough to have premium check in. No hand luggage weighed so was kicking myself that I hadn’t got the Turkish delight that I love. Our big cases about 20 each and we had 25 so again so much wasted shopping space. Only had one priority sticker to enable them to come off the plane first so it went n to Brian’s. Mine went with the rest.
Supposed to have priority boarding but that didn’t happen in Birmingham so was never going
to happen in Dalaman. Off we went to security. Having as usual been through the process of the first stage security you would have thought that HRH would have remembered that it wasn’t worth putting his belt back on. He didn’t! Only two security machines working and with Thomas Cook flights going all over the world well Manchester Birmingham and Newcastle it was chaos. Poor girl looking at the scanner was going bozz eyed. We got through. It was here that I lost my hat. Never mind just means that I can go hat shopping.Nothing required from duty free but the ladies was required so I parked Brian and the bags in Subway and went in search of a loo.Considering that it’s a new terminal they were awful. Somebody has already pointed out about the hole in the ground ones but I walked down the line and found a proper one. Well it was to me.The toilet floor was awash with water and not all the hand driers were working. I slipped and slithered back to Brian.
We shared a coke and made our way to the terminal to fly home. Looked hopeful lady at the door says yes Birmingham so we went through and sat down. Notice some people being frisked and all their baggage checked. It was random the way people were chosen but a queue again was building and they’d started to board the lane. Again supposed to be priority boarding so that your hand luggage is on top of you but it didn’t happen in Brum so there was no way it was going to happen at Dalaman.Joined the melee to board our seats were 2a and 2b. Bri had to walk half way up the plane to find some locker space then fight the oncoming passengers to get back to his space. Meal time and James Martin meals didn’t appear. We weren’t down.Bit of an argument with the cabin crew. It wasn’t their fault but they didn’t seem to care.
We did get our James Martins but nothing to write home about. The cabin crew were older and normally people of a certain age make better crew. Not tonight.
Truth be told I was slightly irritated and tired and fed up because it was my special birthday I’d been treated to premium economy. It was rubbish won’t be tricked again.
Flight smooth made good time and we landed ahead of time.
Kay picked us up and off we went.
I have loved my birthday in Kalkan very very special.
Post by: joycie on July 14, 2018, 01:00:04 PM
Sorry to sound like an old misery just tired and sad that I’m at home doing my washing instead of sipping wine by the pool. Thankyou to everybody who made our stay in Kalkan so special. Mor Daisy Phil Joy Mandy Paul and Hannah. Couldn’t have had such a special time without you. Burak Yusuf Smile boat Chef Kazim the turtles in Meiss Buster the Cat and anybody else who knows me. Love you all even Thomas Cook.xx
Post by: Babs on July 15, 2018, 01:55:03 PM
Oh Joycie, it’s always sad when you come home.....but there’s always next time to look forward to!  :)
Thanks for taking the time to share your lovely holiday with us all x
Post by: macrefield mom on July 15, 2018, 11:22:42 PM
Fabulous reports Joyce, I know how difficult it can be to get good WiFi access and then take the time to type away on a little screen trying to convey how fabulous everything is for those of us who hang on to every word!

Well done you, hang on to those wonderful memories, many congratulations too, we go back out in early October. Having this wonderful summer in the UK it is something to look forward to before the dark nights set in.

Hope you have settled back to life here and that you are planning already your next Kalkan trip!

I will miss your lovely reports....🙁🙁
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 16, 2018, 12:51:45 PM
Oh Joycie you've every right to feel fed up and disappointed with your treatment from TC. I'm presuming you paid quite a bit extra for the pleasure of premium economy, then got dealt a low blow from them. I'd be emailing in true Joycie style and laying it on thick. You never know you might get a bit of recompense to put towards and help you to enjoy your Golden Wedding anniversary celebrations in Kalkan next year.

Thank you for your lovely reports. Always entertaining and a treat to look forward to. Happy planning for 2019. :-*
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 16, 2018, 07:06:32 PM
Love your reports, joycie, thanks for taking the time to post - they always make my day!
Looking forward to hearing all about your next trip  :-*
Post by: keith on July 22, 2018, 07:57:14 AM
Thanks  for sharing your holiday Joycie. Your posts never fail to bring a smile to my face. We are not able to get to Kalkan this year but at least we can read about other people's experiences, close our eyes and imagine that we are sat on the roof terrace sipping a nice cool Efes whilst soaking up the view across the bay.
Post by: joycie on July 22, 2018, 12:47:59 PM
Thanks Keith it's amazing how quickly reality strikes once you get home.
Post by: joycie on April 09, 2019, 09:43:56 AM
So I've paid for my holidays booked our flights last year and am now impatiently awaiting June.
It's our Golden Wedding this year (yes I know I don't look old enough) but I certainly feel it and I don't know where the time has gone.
Were celebrating at Aqua as we did my 70th last year. The food is wonderful there and Yusuf and co are wonderful hosts with a bit of dancing in the street last year (dodging the taxis and the dogs of course). We've also booked a trip on Aqua 1 a night at Black and Gold  Chef Kazim for a lovely meal at the villa and no doubt other wonderful events will pop up as we go.
At home were having a celebration in the garden with wonderful family and friends so a lot of measuring for a gazebo and it's amazing how much you can make out ofpallettes.
Do if you're in Kalkan at the end of June it would be lovely to say
Hallo!
Post by: NormskiD on April 09, 2019, 01:40:07 PM
Enjoy celebrating your Golden wedding anniversary Joycie, a great milestone these days. We always celebrate our birthdays in Kalkan in September. Can't think of anywhere better.
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 10, 2019, 08:52:35 AM
We are there from 8th to 23rd June. Will you be there then Joycie?
Post by: joycie on April 10, 2019, 09:29:43 AM
What a shame we fly in on the Wednesday for three weeks would have loved to have met up XX

Post by: Lizilu20 on April 10, 2019, 11:35:11 AM
Oh what a shame, never mind, there's always next year. Hope you have a fabulous Golden wedding celebration.  :-* x
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal