Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Bob & Jayne on May 11, 2018, 06:26:40 PM

Title: Shirl & Bob - We've Finally Gone and Done It!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 11, 2018, 06:26:40 PM
At long last we have finally taken the plunge! Early Retirement for Bob and I.  Almost 8 weeks in our special place, we cannot believe it, and then back out in September! Sounds a bit crazy but haven't had a moment to post sorry! We arrived late on Tuesday evening and our feet haven't touched the ground. All I can say is that Kalkan is ready for the season, it is looking beautiful, same lovely people and we are now looking forward to enjoying some quality time in the place we love. 

Tomorrow is even more of a special day, as looking forward to meeting my partner in crime and spending time with Lizilu and Automan celebrating his birthday celebrations!
I get to spend my birthday here too in June.

By the way I am not allowed to call it Retirement! we are calling it a "Lifestyle Change"  :D :D :D :D

Have so much to report back even in 4 days but watch this space!

Sx

Title: Re: Shirl & Bob - We've Finally Gone and Done It!
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 12, 2018, 04:30:48 AM
I retired a couple of years ago, after a month got a part time / casual job which ended up taking the Mick as I was working near enough full time so I ditched that. I now volunteer 2 days a week at the Royal Navy Museum Services & a Royal Armouries site just to keep my brain active. I spend a couple of hours a week recording a radio show on a little Internet radio station who only play music from the 60s, The rest of the time I play bowls or wander around Hampshire with my camera walking around taking photos, I love it. Enjoy your well earned "Lifestyle Change".
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 12, 2018, 06:41:26 AM
Thanks Albie, your retirement sounds idealic! who knows I may one day get a little part time job, but at the moment we are planning on spending as much time in our second home as we can!  :D :D :D

Well as you know we are here! I won't bore you with our last 4 days in paradise, but thought I'd tell you the following!

We arrived very late on Tuesday evening, Easyjet flight this year, and very impressed even with my fear of flying, I survived! Define Tours were there to collect us and we were very soon in our favourite place.  Our apartment was just as we had left it last August, it looked lovely, so all was good!

Wednesday was a blur, due to the time difference we only managed about 5 hours sleep, but we were up and about early, I did my early morning run, (promised myself I would do this every day, but we shall see!  first thing I noticed was how cool it was compared to August! but still lovely.  We had a wander through town and met all the same lovely people, oh it was so good to be back! stocked up on provisions, and booked Belgin's Kitchen for dinner.  We have decided to try and do a bit of walking rather than get taxis all the time, but after a purchasing a table and 2 chairs, we had no option other than to get a taxi!!

Belgin's Kitchen!!! well what can I say, other than it was absolutely fabulous food! family run restaurant, have never been before, but certainly on the list to return.  All home cooked traditional Turkish food it was delicious and very reasonably priced. Well worth going if you haven's already!

Thursday - Off to the market this morning, we were there at 8.30am like we do in August, but only just opening up and hardly any people there, so obviously don't need to go so early in May! we certainly stocked up on veg, our trolley was full to the brim! We went to the Beach in the afternoon, the sun was very warm, no beds on the beach yet, apparently next week we have been told.  We took our newly bought chairs! and that's where we sat for the afternoon, it was beautiful, the sea was turquoise, but I only managed to go in waist high! a tad too cold for me yet! A drink in Fener, same lovely waiters in there, I had to pinch myself sitting there looking at that beautiful view, still one of our favourite places to sit and watch the world go by! Bob cooked a BBQ tonight and our favourite green bean dish! you know the one!

Friday - We took the Dolmus to Kas today, 7TL each way, forgetting it was market day, so standing room only, but a kind gentleman gave up his seat for me! Is that what I will get now I am a pensioner!!! The Dolmus went via the Hospital, not been that way before. We went to Mumi Beach Club which we had discovered last year, it's to the right of the harbour, really nice if you find yourself in Kas.  We didn't get back until well after 7pm, what a beautiful day we had.  Chicken curry on the menu tonight, and it certainly was lovely!

Points of note! Although things seem a little more expensive, they aren't when you convert at the current exchange rate, we actually think things aren't too bad.  Anka Supermarket (the old Yali) isn't that well stocked, maybe that will change as the season gets going. Korsan Fish Terrace opens on Sunday, Korsan Meze opened a couple of days ago, beach chairs we think on Monday as is Kalkan Beach Park. Main street not yet closed to traffic, but should be in a few days. Chilly in the evenings, so need a cardigan or pashmina girls!

Saturday - Anyway hope this has updated our week so far, looking forward to today! our friends are arriving in Kalkan!!! Adfab Style! Will report back in a few days!

Sx

Post by: joycie on May 12, 2018, 07:54:07 AM
I'm sat in bed I chilly Staffordshire reading your lovely report and thinking that six weeks today we will be singing our way to Kalkan. I'm sure we will be singing but as my I pad won't let me change it to WINGING you know what I mean. Lots of lovely things planned and just to be in KAlkan for my 70th (no surely you can't be I hear you say) is so special
We have been lucky enough to be retired 10 years now. Been round the world but never found anywhere that has captured our hearts like Kalkan.
Hope we will be lucky enough to meet up for a drink but if not I hope your holiday is special especially as you like us are sharing it with friends who love
Kalkan as much as you.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 12, 2018, 08:05:46 AM
Aww Joycie not long and you'll be winging and singing your way to Kalkan! Hopefully we'll get that drink, would be lovely to meet you and Brian x
Post by: Babs on May 12, 2018, 08:11:54 AM
Shirl......you and Bob are certainly relaxing into your new lifestyle with real style! Can’t wait to see/meet you for real in five weeks!  :)
Post by: Sezkalkan on May 12, 2018, 11:54:24 AM
Oh Jayne, how amazing that you have taken early retirement and you are in Kalkan for 8 whole weeks. That sounds bliss and I’m so jealous! Well done you. We can’t wait for our time to come. We are back out again in 10weeks time so will miss you again. Have the best time. Sarah x
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 13, 2018, 03:46:37 PM
It’s so good to see you two again. So happy for you both and slightly green with envy too!  :-*
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 14, 2018, 10:41:32 AM
I think that "lifestyle change" looks good on you both  ;D ;D
Very jealous and expect you will need to do more posts...you know to keep those grey cells ticking over :-*
Looking forward to hearing how Kalkan's very own Patsy and Eddi get on over the next couple of weeks with all you have planned for Automan's birthday and of course look forward to celebrating with you on your special day really soon!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 15, 2018, 03:47:21 PM
Well it's been a busy week,  but ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!!

Still no beds on the town beach, but we are hoping very soon.  We've had a water cut on Saturday due to a burst pipe in the road somewhere, but all was sorted that evening, electric off this morning, the mozzies are here already! and I've been bitten several times! and yesterday a bit of heat stroke and had to retire to my bed at 9pm, but you know what we don't mind because it is so lovely being here.  "We've Finally Gone and Done It" has been the best decision ever! and to add to that my partner in crime is here and we are having a lovely time!

Thank you all for your lovely comments, I will report back in more detail shortly!

Sx
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 15, 2018, 08:42:23 PM
The "Mossie Buster" truck was out tonight spraying so hopefully you won't be on their menu any longer
Post by: Babs on May 15, 2018, 08:48:09 PM
Goodness, hope that mossie buster works its magic or I'll be dish of the day.........and then Jayne we'll have matching dresses and bites!!  :laugh:
Carry on having fun!
Post by: joycie on May 15, 2018, 08:59:14 PM
I remember now the very first time I came to Kalkan it was May and I got eaten alive byMozzies. Didn't have Mossie busters then. Hope they work for you.
Post by: itstime on May 15, 2018, 09:02:59 PM
Are you sure it's the pesky mozzies and not the even "peskier" olive flies? May is usually peak time for the little blighters  :-[
Post by: Lynne T on May 16, 2018, 05:57:01 AM
I now take a vitamin B12 two weeks before going out on holiday and then the whole time away, I’ve not been bitten yet 🤞and if I do they never get as bad as they normally do, it’s the yeast I’ve been told 
Post by: Lynne T on May 16, 2018, 06:14:30 AM
Sod’s law ,I have just found a bite on my ankle and I sprayed 😢
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 16, 2018, 01:41:06 PM
Oh how pesky are those biting things...be they mozzies or olive flies. I know when we've been in may before, it was the olive flies that bit us...especially during the day! I'm like a magnet for them so take anything and everything I possibly can...I take vitamin B1 from April onwards - not heard about B12 for Mozzies, Lynne T...can always add that to my list if you think it works.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your stay, Jayne...plenty of time!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 17, 2018, 07:07:31 AM
We've been here well over a week now, and the days are rolling into one! It's a fabulous feeling!

Sadly, this morning I have woken up and my face feels like it has done 2 rounds with Mike Tyson! Yes, those pesky mozzies, olive flies, not sure what but they are, but they have certainly got me, and this morning on my face too! Avon Skin so Soft people have told me is good! but I don't have any here, but will certainly try it next time! We noticed the Ghost Busters on foot going round outside our apartment yesterday spraying, but the little blighters are still out in avengeance!

I've actually lost track of the days. All I know is that Lizilu and Automan have arrived and we have had a fab few days. We spent days at the Rhapsody by their pool which has been beautiful such a lovely hotel.  We spent a day down at the Asfiya which again is one of our favourites, eaten at Sade, Begonville, and last night Marina and of course cooked at home too along with a couple of BBQs, all of which have been fantastic! On Tuesday we all went to the Motown Evening at Black and Gold, well I will let my Partner in Crime elaborate but just to say we were all very delicate yesterday especially after getting to bed at 2.30am! but it was a truly Ad Fab style evening, one to remember!  :D ;D

Yesterday we all wandered down through the Lykia estate to the harbour where we sat for a good couple of hours at Fener, we had a beautiful lunch, mine being a chicken fajita salad, it tasted delicious, Fener still is one of my favourite places to be. Lunch definitely sorted us all out! no alcohol for me I had agreed with myself! Sunbeds were calling so we said our farewells until meeting up for dinner at Marina last night.

Back home and the thermometer was reading 33.6 in the shade! wow it was hot. I braved the pool, it is still freezing cold but really lovely for a quick dip in these temperatures.  I am so surprised how hot it is in May, I thought we would be needing a cardigan or maybe trousers in the evening! but you certainly don't. 

We had a fantastic meal at Marina, Mario, George & David are all there, and made us all so welcome.  Lizzie and Automan's friends had arrived and it was lovely to meet them.  We had a fantastic meal, Bob and I went for the peppered steak and it truly was amazing!Their set meal this year is 78TL, anything off the menu, including mezze starters and balloon bread, such good value! and top notch steak to say the least!

I think I am up-to-date now with my blog, but am sure Lizilu will be filling in the missing gaps!

On the down side of things! My Fitbit has cracked!! not sure how I did it, but only noticed it yesterday afternoon!  :'(

Tomorrow is our first boat trip, so will report back soon.  A new one for us this year, and we are looking forward to it!

Sx
Post by: joycie on May 17, 2018, 07:37:26 AM
Sat in bed eating a piece of toast reading your lovely report and wishing my life away till June 23rd. Have a lovely boat trip and look forward to hearing all about it.
Post by: Chris_S on May 17, 2018, 01:53:32 PM
We've found it's B1, not B12!

B1 is the principle part of yeast (as in Marmite).  Since the little critters don't (apparently) like Marmite , the B1 is supposed to be effective.

Since we started using it, it seems to work - start on one a day a few days before departure).  Doesn't stop the Olve flies. but then what does, apart from DEET?

In the end, if it works, it works - you just have to try everything until you find what works for you (note that mossies have a favourite blood group as well - not a hoax, that bit).

B1, Garlic and alcohol, if they're not dead, they're happy!
Post by: Babs on May 17, 2018, 05:52:37 PM
Sound as if you're having a great time Jayne, this "lifestyle change" seems to be suiting you!
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 17, 2018, 06:37:56 PM
Well you're certainly having fun in the sun, Jayne - how quick has that time gone?
We take Avon SSS, but it doesn't seem to work for me....nothing does really except Off Max...but you can hardly spray it on your face can you..? A few years back one of our Turkish friends said to cut a lemon in half and soak the bites with that - it seems to take away the itch, not the blister or the egg size lump.
None of the locals appear to have bites do they...? I know you're practically a local... ;D ;D
I hope they don't spoil your fun too much and heal quickly and you can get your Fitbit sorted too - what a pain!
Enjoy your boat trip today
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 23, 2018, 09:01:00 AM
Sorry for the lack of reports but Lizilu is making such a fab job of her's and keeping you up to date of events. I will be doing one soon though!

6.35 exchange rate in Deniz Bank this morning!

Tomorrow we're all off to Meis we can't wait!  :D :D
Post by: joycie on May 23, 2018, 03:33:21 PM
We've booked an over nighter at Meis this time. Did Kekova last time and thoroughly recommend that too.
Have a wonderful time and an Amstell or  a Mythos and a great big fat pork chop.
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 23, 2018, 05:32:28 PM
I cant wait to be there whether its 4TL to the £ or over 6...it just cant come quick enough
How are the mozzie bites doing..?
Post by: alantj on May 23, 2018, 06:24:17 PM
I cant wait to be there whether its 4TL to the £ or over 6...it just cant come quick enough
How are the mozzie bites doing..?

At the rate it is going it will be 10TL by the time you get there. 
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 23, 2018, 07:02:27 PM
 ;D ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 23, 2018, 07:49:04 PM
Mozzies bites not great K4E they certainly seem to like me that's for sure!  >:( >:(
Post by: Babs on May 23, 2018, 09:10:03 PM
Hang on in there Shirl......I'll soon be there to give them someone else to munch on! Have fun in Meis  :laugh:
Post by: tortoise lady on May 24, 2018, 06:22:43 PM
Sorry to hear you are having problems with mozzies, Shirley.   Things always bite me to.   I take antihistamine tablets for two weeks before holidays then one each day when I am there.   If I get bites I use antihistamine cream and if they are bad take an extra tablet.

I think you will still be in Kalkan when we come out.   If you are you may find a bottle of olive oil, and possibly olives, on your doorstep. 

You arrived the night after we left in early May so missed you on that occasion.

Enjoying your blog as usual

Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 25, 2018, 05:34:20 PM
Well not sure how to top the last 2 days! As you will have read, we've spent 2 days on Meis and all I can say is wow wow and treble wow! We've been 3 times before and each time is different! We've loved each and every minute of it with Lizilu and Automan. Simply the best! Shattered.com now!

Mozzies still being unkind to me. I've told them they have a tastier morsel on her way soon!  >:(

Tortoise lady look forward to seeing you soon and sampling your delicious olive oil and olives from Yellow Villa will be more than welcome. Thank you so much  :D

Sx
Post by: Babs on May 26, 2018, 08:54:55 PM
Three weeks and counting Shirl and then the next "dish of the day" will be in Kalkan! Carry on having fun!  :laugh:
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 29, 2018, 11:08:50 AM
Well, I don't know where to begin and to be honest where I left off! After our fabulous time in Meis, we still felt shattered on Saturday.  It was Lizilu and Automan’s last day, and we certainly needed to pack in a full day! We decided it was to be the Asfiya, but sadly the weather wasn't that nice, so we retreated to the bar for a couple of drinks and then a lovely lunch, so all was good.  It was our friends choice for their last night, and Marina it was to be, and it was all so delicious as always, can’t exactly remember what we all had, but all I know was my peppered steak was amazing! Regae the barman from the Pirat walked by and we had a lovely chat with him, always has a smile on his face and makes you feel so welcome, we really must go and see him at the bar one evening for a drink! After dinner we went to Trios for a nightcap, was lovely just sat there watching the world go by.  Before we knew it, it was well after midnight and time to make our way back, we’d had such a nice evening, but sadly had to say farewell to the gang as they were leaving first thing on Sunday morning.  Always sad when we have to do this, but now looking forward to more fun in the sun with them sometime soon!

Sunday – well the sun was out again, so a quiet day for us, firstly a trip to Migros for provisions, after an hour or so we were well and truly stocked up, trolley full with the addition of 3 more carrier bags full of things! Decided on a taxi back as far too much to carry. Back home for a late brunch, and then a trip down to the beach.  The beds and umbrellas are only a third out, so fingers crossed the rest will emerge this week.  We managed to get 2  beds and spent 3 hours lazing around again watching the world go by and the boats coming and going! This is getting to be a “nice” habit” we have got into recently! Before the walk up the hill, a stop off at Fener for icecream, I can’t believe that they are still 5TL for 2 boules and 7TL for 3! Such good value, the decision for which flavours took us a while, but finally we settled for  choc chip and coffee, and strawberry and caramel of course with the added hot chocolate and nuts on the top! It was definitely a walk up the hill rather than the taxi after that treat!

We were cooking a roast dinner tonight, I always get withdrawal symptoms for a roast while away, and it was so nice to cook a Sunday roast in Turkey, another first for us. Bob spactchcocked the chicken on the BBQ and the rest was history, it was absolutely delicious even though I say so myself!

Monday – Yildiz 2 today! Perfect weather, sea like a mill pond, and Captain Osman and Zeynap were as always, the perfect hosts and the food well….. we ate like king’s! We had a fabulous day. We left at 10am and got back at 18.35pm!

The gorgeous cauliflower dish they always serve we have tried to replicate, but it is never the same, so we asked again how they do it, so if you want to try it out, here goes.

Steam cauliflower until al dente.
Suzme yoghurt (the very thick one, not runny) add water until you get a creamy consistency and then add crushed garlic and pour over the warm cauliflower.
Heat olive oil and then add paprika and drizzle over the top along with some dill!
Sounds easy, but guessing when we try it again, it won’t be the same,!

By the time we walked home it was almost 7.30pm! not sure why but we decided to move the furniture around when we got back (very random) so by 9pm we were fit to drop, and we literally did that with a tuna salad washed down with a vodka and coke, and Efes Malt for Bob! Bliss!

Tuesday – Feeling refreshed, didn’t wake until almost 8am! Day of rest! Waiting in for our new sunbeds to arrive, fingers crossed they will arrive as coming from Antalya! I’ve just been to Wella hairdressers for a cut and blow dry, am so pleased with it, if you haven’t tried there, well worth going, Yusuf the owner is a brilliant hairdresser!

On the way back stop off for a cauliflower! You can guess what we will be making sometime soon!

Sx
Post by: Haybo on May 29, 2018, 12:17:25 PM
Now the fun is over it sounds as though you are slipping into the Lifestyle change very nicely!

In 5 weeks I will be ther and can’t wait....have just made first purchases for the holiday..just wondering now about whether to change money....decisions , decisions.....
Post by: joycie on May 29, 2018, 12:40:28 PM
In four weeks we will be there and hopefully replicating some of the fun that you have had. At the moment we’re stuck at Colwich lock on the Trent and Mersey canal waiting for RCR to order our new drive plate.
Oh to be in Kalkan. Oh well soon will be.
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 29, 2018, 05:47:34 PM
11 days until we hit Dalaman and a few days after that we'll be in Kalkan  ;D ;D
I cannot recreate any of the food we eat whilst we're there, even though I take down recipes all the time and try my best...just not the same!
Sounds like you are having a great time on Part One of the Lifestyle Choice Programme...I'd like to get myself on that pretty soon, have to say, but have a few more years before we can officially change our lives too....hopefully! Insallah!
I bet you are missing the Starsky to your Hutch right now...but you'll be back together pretty soon, I'm sure!
Moving furniture around after a full day on Yildiz would not be my choice of activity, but hey ho! Whatever floats your boat...did you see what I did there?
Hope the beds came...?
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 29, 2018, 07:46:33 PM
Ha I love the double act comparisons K4E. I actually had a crush on starsky and nearly met hutch up at bodamya Tepe the other year.
Shirl I’m very very much looking forward to reading what you and Bob are going to be getting up to in the next few weeks and missing you both like mad already.  :-*
Post by: Babs on May 29, 2018, 09:46:25 PM
Shirl......good to see you're settling back down to domesticity now Starsky has gone home!  ;D Only joking.....you must be missing her like mad! Lots more times for adventures in the next few weeks and I'm so looking forward to hearing all about them.......hopefully some in person!  :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 30, 2018, 09:34:35 AM
Ha ha k4e! I did use to have a long knitted cardigan though! ;D ;D.
Yes beds arrived at 9.15pm after waiting in all day, but was well worth the wait though. Not long now for you all and the long range forecast is looking pretty good too! Exchange rate this morning is just below 6 in town, slightly higher at the Banks, but think it's not worth changing at home Haybo, but your decision.

Sx

Post by: tortoise lady on May 30, 2018, 09:38:32 AM
What was the water like when you were on your boat trip?   We have booked a trip in about three weeks time and hope the sea is warming up a bit.   I don't do cold water although I managed a couple of short dips in the pool at the beginning of May.   Pretty cold getting in!!!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 30, 2018, 09:52:17 AM
It's still cold tortoiselady but bearable although once in you get used to it. We're off to Kekova next week so hoping it will have warmed up a bit more  :D am sure in another 3 weeks it will be fine for you. :D :D
Post by: cleworthallray on May 30, 2018, 10:16:16 AM
New pool in the back garden tortoise lady. In full sun and shallow with nice roman steps. You’d ge my vote. Not keen on the sea. Have a great holiday.
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 30, 2018, 07:44:15 PM
Didnt everyone have a crush on Starsky..?
Bit disappointed the exchange rate is dropping but its better news for those that live there, as the cost of living has risen so much..dont mind a few less lira in my purse if it brings a bit of relief. Only 5 years ago we were getting 2.30...pretty sure I have a picture sitting in Merkez and the rate is on the board behind me...must check!
The sea will have gone up a few degrees in the next week or so...its been ordered :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 31, 2018, 04:33:19 AM
I think your right k4e we remember the rate well below 3 when we first came to Turkey  8)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 31, 2018, 10:45:37 AM
Hot news from the beach all the beds and umbrellas are out today, only a few cushions so far, but we've been told the rest should be here in a few days. 15tl for 2. Same price as last year  :D :D
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 31, 2018, 03:12:24 PM
It's about time isn't it. We missed the beach last week, every day hoping they'd be out. That'a good news Jayne.

9 weeks today...
Post by: Babs on May 31, 2018, 08:30:58 PM
Fingers crossed for the cushions for a couple of week's time! We can remember the exchange rate being 2. Something too........but you're right K4E much better for the locals if it drops a little! Kalkan is such value anyway   :)
Post by: Chris_S on June 01, 2018, 11:57:38 AM
When we first went to Turkey it started out at 18,000TL and ended up after two weeks at 23,500TL.

Before the YTL, of course!
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 01, 2018, 12:56:00 PM
I remember the days when we were Turkish millionaires  ;D ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 02, 2018, 06:01:22 AM
Well it is Saturday and not exactly sure where this week has gone, but we’ve certainly had a lovely time.

Well as I said the beds arrived well into the evening, but it didn’t matter they are fab, we await the cushions they are arriving this morning, we had them made from a shop in town, and after a bit of a debate, I chose red!!

Wednesday – I think that is where I got up to! We spent the whole day at the beach, and as you know the beds and umbrellas are now all out.  Hopefully the cushions will be arriving next week, but there are a few there at the moment. 

Thursday – awake early and we went for a very early morning walk and had breakfast at Muar Café at the beach, it was so tranquil down there, we shared a Turkish breakfast and a gozleme, all of which was delicious.  It was to be a pool day today, but that was fine our daily exercise was out of the way early.  My fitbit is definitely keeping us on track, and we are making sure that we get our steps in each day. It seems to still be working okay, despite the fact that I cracked the screen a few days after arriving, not sure how I did that. We called in at the Fish Shop on the way back to buy some Mezgit, as we were going to cook fish and chips tonight, chips in the Actifry, we knew it would come in handy out here! And who would have thought it, apparently yesterday was National Fish and Chip Day, and we never knew! Oh well a day early, who cares!

Friday – Well today turned out to be a Road Trip on Foot!!! Not planned but what a fabulous day we had.

We were out of the apartment at 7.30am and first trip was up to Kalamar and back home for breakfast, but half way back we decided to carry on into town.  On arriving by Hunkar, the fire brigade were there, and what seemed like absolute chaos, cars backing up and hooting, people running around, it turned out that they were lopping the palm trees in the middle of the road.  Branches were crashing down into the road, and in no time at all they were cut and cleared away, and peace was resumed again!
It was actually quite fascinating to watch! A stop off at the greengrocers and the bakers. They seem to have a vast range of things in the bakery this year, including beautiful freshly made gozleme, maybe we have just missed them before, but we needed to buy one and it was delicious.  Talking of bread, we have been buying the Ramadan Turkish bread this week, and it is so good, but only available until the end of Ramadan, so definitely going to be buying more of it.

In no time at all, we had been home for breakfast and then back out again.  We walked down to the beach, by which time dark clouds were appearing, followed by thunder and then rain, but in no time at all the sun was out and boiling hot again! We walked out to the lighthouse and it was so nice seeing the beach from the other side. We then decided to walk along the path towards caretta and find the little cove that is just before there, so beautiful, but rather rickety steep steps down to it, so we just admired from the top.  Along to the beach club for a nosey, not many people there, but lovely all the same, then the steep climb up to the Lykia Hotel and back along the path which came out along the Kalamar Road and Johnys bar, my fitbit was reading over 17,000 steps, so a well deserve watering stop at Johny’s was in order!

It was after 4pm, so back home and TV now in full working order with all the channels, so the French Open it had to be before getting ready to go out for dinner.

We had booked to go to Seaport tonight, so a quick drink in Fener Bar, oh how we love that place! And then only a few steps next door to our table overlooking the sea, wish I could post photos because it was beautiful. I chose the Chef’s special which was chicken cooked in a champagne and brandy cream sauce with prawns and mushrooms. Bob had stuffed seabass with shrimps, crab and spinach, all of which was delicious.  We had complimentary starters, and were so full that we couldn’t manage a dessert, sadly though because I had my eye on the lemon cheesecake on the menu. Never mind, we are definitely going back so maybe next time! It was very reasonable priced too and I would certainly recommend going if you haven’t already!

The harbour was very busy tonight and everywhere full of life, we stopped off at Yacht Point for a night cap, by which time it was getting on for midnight! Fitbit reading over 20,000 by this time, so a taxi home was definitely on the agenda!

A perfect end to a perfect day. Fun in the sun was had by all! Wonderful!

Sx

Exchange rate 6 in town tonight
Post by: Babs on June 02, 2018, 09:19:54 PM
It all sounds lovely Shirl! Fun in the sun indeed. We love to walk around Kalkan discovering different places but probably won't be so adventurous in a couple of weeks time as I expect it'll be much hotter than when we are normally there in October!
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 04, 2018, 10:25:21 AM
What a fabulous lifestyle change you are having Jayne. It's lovely to have updates from you, thanks for posting and we are missing you both like mad.  :-*
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 04, 2018, 12:53:27 PM
Love that walk, Jayne....we once went a little further along a path above the Yali Hotel (or whatever its called now) and it just leads to a house that has a lot of barking dogs that feel like they're going to come over the gate at you...I'm not frightened of dogs but was petrified. We often start along that path when we're out on our walks and then remember where it leads and double-back..quick sharp. You're smashing FitBit, keep it up and the cheesecake can be scoffed without a care in the world :)
I think when a job breaks out on Kalkan, its always BIG job, no matter how small...I cant imagine what it looks like now with all the trees lobbed off!
We are also huge fans of Fener...might just bump into you there NEXT WEEK ;D ;D ;D
Post by: Haybo on June 04, 2018, 01:30:09 PM
Next week K4E!!  how exciting - another report to enjoy with my breakfast!!  Will you still be there on 1 July? we normally overlap by at least a day!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 06, 2018, 05:47:08 AM
Well it's Wednesday and where are the days going let alone the weeks! First things to report is the weather is getting hotter by the day and locals are saying 40 degrees by Friday! Is it really only June, because it feels like August temperatures! Not complaining though! Exchange rate averaging around 6 at the moment and looks like a new mini market is about to open opposite Coriander where the builders merchant used to be, and before that I think used to be a supermarket. Still no sun bed cushions on the beach, although Kleo have a few and seem to be on a first come first serve basis. The guys in there are so nice :D.

Anyway talking of the beach that's what we have been doing for the past 3 days and it has been fab! The sea is warming up too.
This life style change is great, we haven't really planned our days other than a boat trip here and there, next one booked next Thursday and can't wait! Car hire booked for tomorrow and my daughter arriving on Friday so very excited about that, so guessing lots will be planned for the next 10 days  :D

We're off to Adam's Restaurant tonight and Belgin's Kitchen Friday and Seaport again for Saturday so need to get those steps up on that Fitbit! Talking of food we had a lovely lunch again in Fener yesterday, our absolute favourite place this year! Love it! K4E may well see you there very soon and even on a boat trip!! ;D  :D hope you've got that case finally packed, not long now!

Think that just about covers our lazy week of fun in the sun. Will report back soon with the next update!

Forgot to say mozzies not good still being bitten! But no worse than it was! Babs I've told them your on your way  ;D

Sx

Post by: kalkan4eva on June 06, 2018, 01:17:38 PM
Yes, maybe we will see you on a boat trip.. ;D ;D
The old Kartin supermarket/Builders Merchants is going to be a Superdrug type place - I understand!
Not long till your daughter's arrival - how exciting! Obviously it pays to be earlybirds on the beach whilst the cushions are in short supply...always next week isn't it? I do LOVE the beach though...cannot wait to be on one of those beds...with or without cushions ;D
Post by: Babs on June 07, 2018, 07:13:05 PM
We'll definitely be there, earlybirds for the cushions!  :laugh: I just hope we don't share a favourite sunbed on the beach K4E!
Shirl, you just keep topping those mozzies up......then maybe I'll escape unharmed!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 08, 2018, 05:39:42 AM
And it's Friday :D
Well, we've had a fab couple of days although a bit eventful! Firstly. we left one of our bags down at the taxi rank at the harbour with 2 phones and a kindle in it!  We didn't realise until we got back, but after a quick call to the Marina Restaurant, thank goodness it was still there! They kindly put it in a taxi for us and within 15 minutes of realising we'd left it, we had it back!  We are so grateful to those guys in Marina! And then to top it all, on Wednesday we spent a few hours at the Pirat, and yesterday I realised I couldn't find my kindle yet again! Sure enough I had left it there. Thankfully again Regae had found it. So again am very grateful!

Anyway... we had a fab meal up at Adam's on Wednesday evening and it was lovely to see him and his family. His daughter who has recently married was there too. Food was delicious and I had the shrimp casserole as I always do with liver to start and it was fab. That view from the top table is one of the best, absolutely stunning! It was great to see that he was busy too  :D

Thursday... we had a car booked today so going out and about and that's exactly what we did. Morning spent around Kalkan. Up to the market first thing for fruit and veg. Needed to pick up a water melon for our visitor who arrives today. We never actually realised how heavy they are. as we don't like them ourselves, but the smallest one weighed over 6 kilos! Thank goodness we had the car! We are however addicted to the cherries! 5TL a kilo! Anyway we are now fully stocked up with so much fruit so it's going to be a healthy week! Because the scales are being mean!! ;D

Next stop was Arcelik.we've been promising ourselves an electric water cooler and finally we now have one, and all we think is why on earth didn't we get one before, it's fab! Shopping done and now time for some fun in that sun. It was boiling today, I think the hottest day so far, more like August. First stop was down to Kalamar and a nosey in the beach club as we are planning a day there on Sunday. Oh that steep hill down to it! Eyes tightly shut until we were parked up! It looked beautiful, so we are looking forward to spending a day there at the weekend. After a quick drink to cool off, we went again back up that hill and en route to Patara beach. It was so hot and the sand felt like it was on fire, but the sea was like a warm bath and fairly calm. We spent a lovely couple of hours there, it was beautiful. Making the most of our air conditioned car we had a drive along to Kinek and Xanthos before finally coming back to Kalkan for a bbq. A perfect day was had by all.

Friday.... a day of rest today around the pool is the order of the day we think and into town tonight for dinner   :D

The mozzie sprayer was out last night and drove round twice, so hoping they will give me a break now!  ;D

Exchange rate has been around 6 for the past few days in town.

Sx
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 08, 2018, 09:52:09 AM
Oh, I'm loving your reports Jayne. This lifestyle change lark is very appealing and can't wait until we can do the same thing. I think Shirl needs to buy a lanyard with a bag attached so that the wayward  Kindle can be kept safe and close to home at all times.  ;D

Have a lovely weekend and give our love to your special visitor when she arrives.  :-*
Post by: Babs on June 08, 2018, 03:18:30 PM
Lizilu, do you think I should run a little kindle bag up and take it out with me?  :laugh:
Enjoy your time with your special visitor Jayne.
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 11, 2018, 11:02:33 AM
 ;D ;D ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 18, 2018, 06:51:35 AM
Where have the past 10 days gone!! We are still here, and our feet haven't touched the ground, so apologies for my lack of posts! My daughter Katie has been here, and sadly went home early hours of this morning, and this morning I am feeling tearful, as I feel like there is a big hole! but oh what fun we had!  :D :D :D

I won't bore you with all the nitty gritty details, but will fill you in as best I can remember!

We've eaten quite a few lunches in the wonderful Fener, I know everyone must have been there, but the food is fabulous, and so reasonably priced, as is the wine and beer.  Other restaurants we've been to the past week was Fotos, the pizzas seem to get bigger every time we go, they are amazing! Revisited Belgin's Kitchen, made the mistake of a large glass of complimentary Raki! wow seem to have got a liking to that now!, Seaport, The Regency, Adem's, Kaya and Marleys, all which have been fabulous!

On Friday we went to Kaya for their Motown evening. It was a really fun night, 3 course meal including the most delicious selection of freshly prepared mezze to start and all for 65TL her person.

As you will have read, I celebrated my birthday last week, and we had the most wonderful day on Yildiz 3 and it was so lovely that K4E and Daz could share our day with us too,  :D I couldn't have asked for a more special day! All I can say is that it was "magical", the absolute perfect day, other than my partner in crime missing  :(

Another car hire was on the agenda, I have forgotten dates and days, but we went to Kas and Patara Beach again that day, the sea was so warm, and not too rough!  I seem to remember getting lots of steps in that day!

A boat trip to Kekova on Tuesday, it was absolutely beautiful, we only saw one turtle though, but nevertheless, another magical day. I love that place. We were very saddened by the recent events of the poor souls that has lost their lives though.  :(

We've taken a real liking to Indigo Beach Club this year, whilst Katie has been here, we had decided to do something different each day, but we found ourselves going there 3 times in 10 days! I have to say we will probably go again this week too, it is fab! 15 TL for sunbeds, and yesterday, we were there at 8.30am for the duration! and also at 5pm they bring hot freshly baked cake round with Chai! Wonderful. Yesterday whilst we were there 7 swimmers came in from the Kalamar area, presumably in training for the Mouse Island swim, the sea was quite choppy, so imagine it was quite hard swimming in the sea yesterday.

A day at the Regency too, that was another fabulous day, and drinking cocktails sat in the pool was amazing!

A visit to the dentist for Katie too! she decided to have her teeth whitened! apparently Zoom Whitening it's called, and off to see Cenk we went.  Well.... what an amazing job he did, they look fab! She couldn't decide whether it was going to be a bag purchase or her teeth! but the teeth won, and she is one happy bunny!

The new restaurant where Trio was (they've moved down one) is called
Deli Yengeç - Crazy Crab. It's coming along great and should be opening soon.

Last night we met K4E and Daz in Kaya for drinks. Kadir showed us his magic tricks, Katie was amazed as hadn't seen him before. How does he do it. Especially when my ring vanished ending up in his back pocket attached to his key ring!! Amazing! We then all went next door to Marleys, well what can I say!! we had a fab meal, the Burgers are fantastic! the boys had the Bad Boy Burgers, Wow! they were amazing! If you haven't been, I would really recommend it! We also facetimed Lizilu and Automan!  :D :D :D

The taxi prices have increased, as you may probably know, flat rate for shortest distance is 15TL, but still very cheap and well worth it. The lira is around 6.1 in town.

Would like to say thank you to Tortoise Lady, who came round with the most beautiful olives and amazing olive oil.  Thank you so much.  :D

Well, I think that has updated my blog! We have been here almost 6 most weeks now, and have loved it.  We go to Fethiye on Sunday for 4 days before going home to the UK, but we will be back very soon.

Sx
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 18, 2018, 02:58:20 PM
That 6 weeks seems to have flown Jayne! We would have loved to have joined you all properly last night but face time was the next best thing. I still need my roots doing!

Have fun in Fethiye and it's about time you came home so that we can come back  ;) ;D
Post by: Babs on June 18, 2018, 05:08:00 PM
Shirl......I didn't realise you were leaving on Sunday! We need to arrange a rendezvous for a drink......or when are you planning to go to Indigo......it's our favourite beach club!
You really have had the most amazing time......and lucky you coming back to do it all again later in the year!  :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 19, 2018, 10:21:22 PM
Such a lovely report Jayne, I hope you're not missing Katie too much!
We are so envious of your lifestyle change...it might still seem like you're on an extended holiday, but you never have to face a Monday in work again! How brilliant is that?
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 22, 2018, 10:38:59 AM
It's the final countdown! I feel a song coming on there!

It's been a busy week. Monday was a sad day as Katie was leaving, but she'll be back, we had such a fabulous time.

I can't remember days or dates but the past few days have been spent at kalkan beach park, indigo and the town beach all of which have been lovely.

The road has been dug up due to a water leak, seemed like utter chaos, but very quickly it was all restored and back to full working order.

Had the most amazing pedicure and eyebrow threading at jasmine's. Bag shopping at BSG and I love the new Gratis shop, a fab addition for Kalkan.

There have been lots of gullets coming and going this week. We have spent most lunchtimes at fener just watching them come and go. Best place for us this year. We love it. Not sure my waistline does though!

Last night we met up with the lovely Babs and her husband Gary and K4E and Daz for drinks at Botanic and then we ate at Lal with K4E and Daz as Babs and Gary were meeting friends for dinner. The steaks were amazing and Bob had the priest fainted and he said it was fab too as was the company and what fun we all had.  :D After we all went for a nightcap at Moonlight, I opted for the Raki, but thinking a big mistake today though! The added bonus was meeting Blue Lizzard and his other half who joined us. So lovely to meet  them too. At 2am we finally arrived home, we'd had such a brilliant evening.

Today is a rest day chilling round the pool as tomorrow we are leaving to stay in Fethiye for a few days before we go home! The only taxing thing is where do we eat tonight?

Kalkan we've had a wonderful time, met some lovely people both old and new, we've had a ball! and we are now looking forward to coming back very soon. Our lifestyle change has got off to a fabulous start!  :D

Sx

Post by: Lizilu20 on June 22, 2018, 11:21:20 AM
Fab almost like an EK impromptu meet up! Wish we could have been there too. I can’t believe it’s your last night in Kalkan. How quicky has that gone!  :o
Enjoy fethiye and a safe journey home. Thank you so much for your lovely reports, it takes time and effort to write as I know and it’s very much appreciated.  :-*
Post by: Haybo on June 22, 2018, 12:17:59 PM
So sorry to hear that your time is up, but that means my time is still to come..... only 8 days.....then Cinderella and the Ugly sisters will hit town.....but which is which? 

Oh - and a friend that I'm bringing in September has said she would rather not get taxi's..she'd rather walk....oh how i laughed......
Post by: Babs on June 22, 2018, 04:33:39 PM
Oh Shirl how lovely it was to meet you and Bob too. Gary said it was like online dating!  :laugh:
You’ve had a fabulous start to your lifestyle change and it won’t be long till you’re back again! X
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal