Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Pompeyalbie on May 11, 2018, 07:26:23 AM

Title: Albie's Here
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 11, 2018, 07:26:23 AM
Our usual early morning start, up at 2:15 and it starts to rain. Get to Gatwick and there's a huge queue to check in bags but it did move quickly, unfortunately by the time we got to departures we had no time for breakfast so it was a quick Mealdeal sandwich. Got lucky on the plane with an empty seat next to us so plenty of space on the Thomas Cook cattle plane. Cruised through arrivals as we were the only flight, even the visa man was pleasant. Things got even better when we were met by the man from Dalaman Cars who instead of the Renault Symbol had a nice Dacia Duster which cruised up the steep climbs. Got to Elmas & unpacked before heading into town to get some provisions & pop to the market for a gozleme, hardly eaten all day, had a lovely banana & honey one.
Back to  the apartment to be met by the ginger cat we'd fed on the last few visits so gave him his tea. After a nice shower it was into town to visit Eddies  for a wet shave and a haircut. I was in the chair for an hours a double wet shave, hair cut, then washed, blow dried, back, arm & head massage, moisturised neck & face, nose & ear hair trimmed, eyebrows trimmed then flamed to burn of bum fluff hairs. How much for all that? 50TL less than £10, I pay nearly that for 10 minutes tidy up at home. Janet was dozing off in her chair, well it was a long day.
We carried on with tradition by having our first meal at Alternatif, Janet had a steak while I went for sea bass cooked in foil which melted in my mouth, another great Kalkan meal. Returned home and fell into bed exhausted, woke up this morning to grey skies and a rumble of thunder. It's now raining so thanks to my Firestick Janet is catching up on Emmerdale until it is safe to go into town and book up Yildiz and other things. Some cracking flashes of lightening going on out there.
Title: Re: Albie's Here
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 11, 2018, 10:43:56 AM
Lucky for you the weather's too bad for shopping as I'm sure Janet would be putting her legendary skills to good use on a wet day - the old town is usually packed with shoppers when the weather isn't behaving.
Glad you've arrived safe and sound and I'm sure it will be sunny soon. Look forward to hearing more about your stay, Pompeyalbie.
PS Shame you missed out on the play-offs, better luck for next season!
Post by: joycie on May 11, 2018, 11:39:34 AM
Oh Albie lovely report of your first day. Six weeks today I shall be in a fuss packing and getting ready for three wonderful weeks in our magical place. I hope you and Janet have a fantastic time (how can you not) Looking forward to hearing more if your adventures.
Post by: Haybo on May 11, 2018, 02:22:46 PM
Oh what a great treat on a Friday afternoon - a holiday report!  Shirl is not putting in much effort but then her partner in crime doesn't show up until tomorrow..then watch out Albie...things are going to liven up in sleepy Kalkan.

I am looking forward to hearing lots more about your stay and Janet's shopping exploits!!
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 11, 2018, 03:37:10 PM
Hey Albie
Hope the sun starts to shine as all being well we will be bumping shoulders very soon. Glad your journey was uneventful, we've had a live update from easyjet to say the French air traffic controllers are going on strike tomorrow so keep your fingers crossed for us.  :o
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 11, 2018, 04:08:25 PM
Once the storm died down it started to brighten up albeit a bit blowy. Made our way into town & parked at the harbour. cardiac Hill looking good with block paving and fancy designs on it & the pavements, at least when it's wet you can get some traction on the tyres now. Popped in to se Tumay & Ozay at MissSilver to drop off duty free's and a couple of Pompey bits for Ibrahim. I was informed that Pompey are an Ottoman team twice yesterday so we must be becoming Turkey's second team. The boys have ditched genuine fake watches and are now doing a line of unique personal designed gold jewellery made in their workshop in Fethiye, that was a clue to get someone out of there quick now I am a poor pensioner I can't afford luxuries like that. Next stop was the Yildiz boat to book up for Sunday, weather permitting, 10TL this year but still great value at the price. Lunch at Fener watching the few people around then a stroll up to Goz to sort out my updated eye prescription lens in my old frames. Popped out to Adem's to book for tonight but he has a large partying so will defer that until later in the week. Seeing we were out that way. We did the Italian Job run to Kas to nip in the market. They have resurfaced the whole length and a few extra stopping points with facilities added.. Still a lovely scenic drive, just wish Janet could master using a camera so she could capture the scenery as I drive. Got back & had a dip in the pool before retiring to the roof balcony for a read & a snooze.
Pot luck where we eat tonight, there seems to be a lot of name changes gone on since October.
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 11, 2018, 04:40:55 PM
10TL for a boat trip...?????? :o
Post by: Babs on May 11, 2018, 05:18:59 PM
Oh o love it when the holiday posts/blogs start popping up! I expect Shirl is too busy relaxing to do one!?  :laugh:
Have a great holiday Allie and Janet!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 11, 2018, 06:04:29 PM
Albie sounds like you have done so much in a couple of days, and lovely to read your post! we must have passed on the Kas road because we have been there too today, but didn't do the market, just the Mumi Beach Club which was lovely, and after the thunder and lightening this morning in Kalkan who would have thought it would be 27 degress by lunchtime. Am sure we will bump into you in town too.  :D
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 11, 2018, 08:06:37 PM
Sorry a typo, my iPad was slow in catching up with my slow one fingered typing, it was obviously meant to read 100TL, for 10TL they'll chuck you overboard at Fener.
A quick question, has anyone else had problems accessing Btinternet email on a mobile device? I can get it via the web but not my mail app.
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 12, 2018, 04:22:39 AM
Good morning all, awake early this morning as we are off to Dalyan to play in the mud, well I am you won't get Janet getting anywhere near the smelly mud. Have to drive to Calis Beach to pick up the coach so it's set off early and grab some breakfast there with some friends who live there.
We dined with a celebrity last night, well he was sat on the next table to us at Sade, Dom Littlewood is in town so I suspect all the traders of genuine copies will be hiding their goods in case they appear on the telly.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 12, 2018, 06:07:53 AM
Albie have a fab day in Dalyan, love it there, but haven't been in a while, those river cruises are fantastic!  :D :D :D

Post by: Kevin Norwich on May 12, 2018, 08:23:32 AM
Good Morning

It’s great to wake up to a whole batch of holiday reports, the season has finally begun!

Two quick questions:

1 Given the exchange rate increase I assume that prices have also increased. For budgeting purposes, what is the price of an Efes in the Moonlight this year?

2 What is the procedure regarding Goz?Do I simply bring a prescription from the UK and he is able to do the rest?

Thanks for your help, enjoy your holidays!

Kevin
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 12, 2018, 07:01:08 PM
Hi Kevin, re Goz, yes that's what I did he is now fitting new lens to my old frames. Bob, re Dalyan, nobody in Kalkan does trios there anymore, I booked before we came out with Carol & Tayfun, got a good deal 2 for 1 so got the trip for 2 of us for £18. Picked up at Calis Beach, coach to Dalyan,boat to mud bath, then back to Dalyan for a nice lunch then down to the turtle beach by boat again. A long day but a good one. We are just chilling tonight as too tired to go in to a town for dinner.
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 13, 2018, 06:21:43 PM
Lizilu must've brought the sun out with her as it's been glorious today. Went ou on Yildiz 3 with Adam today, not your usual trip around the bay's, first stop was Kaputas Beach, never been there before and great to see it from the sea side as opposed to the road. The sea wasn't too bad considering it is May but it was a bit bouncy on the return journey much the Janet's concern. While we were there Adam moved the boat up to the Blue Cave so we could have a swim in there, typical the one year I don't bring my camera in the sealed bag as I could've got some great photos. I won't bore you with the rest of the day as we've all been out on the boats so you know how great they are, not many boats going out at the moment but then there aren't many people here yet.
Post by: Babs on May 13, 2018, 08:01:01 PM
Been on so many boat trips but never been to the Blue Cave.......I'm assuming......the sea is even bluer there!  :laugh:
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 14, 2018, 06:52:27 AM
It looks like today’s going to be another scorcher too Albie. Love it when that boat turns left to kaputas.  :)
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 14, 2018, 07:51:19 AM
Yes Babs, a really deep blue but closer to the beach it is all sand underneath, snorkelling in the cave was amazing, loads of fish in there and when you look back into the daylight it's a beautiful sight. First time we've ever bee not no boat that went that way. Off for a bit of history today, never been to Pinara or Sidyma so going to have a look for them.
Post by: Haybo on May 14, 2018, 08:52:35 AM
Pinara is wonderful - the last few years we've hired a jeep from Alper and gone up to Pinara.  It's so peaceful.  we have a mooch about then go and sit up in the pine forest and look over the valley.  Its lovely to sit and look over what's left of the amphitheatre and imagine what it used to be like when it was thriving.

You may see some goats and a couple of tortoises while you're there but nothing else!!  If you feel adventurous, you can go back to the bottom of the unmade road up to Pinara - thrun left ( not back to the D400) and climb up over the mountain and head to KayaKoy for lunch at Cinbar...top day out.
Post by: Jojo144 on May 14, 2018, 09:30:45 PM
 I’m really enjoying reading your chats, we are out 4 weeks today and our last time was 15 years ago!  Good to see there are still good shaves around. Hubby loves them.
What is the exchange rate in Kalkan like ie is it best to bring majority uk sterling & change there?
The weather is looking fab for next few days hope it continues!
Post by: Lynne T on May 15, 2018, 05:12:30 AM
5.71 in the shops I don’t know about the banks , everything seems very reasonable
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 15, 2018, 10:33:54 AM
Loving the reports, pompeyalbie...we've been on a few boat trips that turn left out of the harbour and stay left all day - makes a nice change although I do miss the mud bath.
Jojo144, bring your sterling its a much better rate in Turkey than in UK and those in the know say its likely to rise even higher as the election approaches.
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 15, 2018, 02:31:26 PM
A weird day today, Janet slept in having stayed up to watch the Fulham v Derby game, she's normally in bed way before then. Then we had a power cut so trauma set in as the hair drier works via electricity, good job she noticed before washing her hair. On a Tuesday we normally go to Fethiye market but having driven a lot this week decided to give it a miss, so decided we'd go up to Islamlar to the Village Cafe for a trout lunch, the prices are still stupidly cheap,13TL  for the fish, our bill came to 75TL, including drinks. So peaceful, just birds, goats, chickens and an old lady beating the hell out of her carpets and plenty of fresh mountain air. Coming back I decided we'd complete the circle by going via Bezirgan. Half way up a remote mountain road we get waved down by a father & son plus his father, he asked if we could give his father, who spoke no English, a lift. No problem we had room thinking he was going to Bezirgan as the came in the conversation, we get to a junction at the bottom of the mountain & I turned to ask him which way was best, he waves left so off I go. 15k later I'm thinking we are going in the wrong direction & no sign of any town. I stop & he says Elmali, I tried to explain we were going to Kalkan, luckily there was a man who looked like he was fly tipping so we stopped & he hitched a ride with him, a U turn later we were back on the road to Kalkan. Lots of new road building going on over the back of the mountain.
Got back to town on diesel fumes as we were getting low and popped into the glass shop then Cafe Leon for a refreshing drink. Now it's time for a swim in the pool & chill before being picked up by Adam for an evening meal out at his place. We are at his brothers last night, a real Turkish menu where as those at the top seem to be dropping Turkish dishes for what the Europeans prefer.
Post by: Haybo on May 15, 2018, 02:44:20 PM
we went to Elmali once in a jeep...the boys were following the 'only go forwards, never go back' principle.  3 hours later and cooked to a crisp we turned up in a place that was not ready for a crazy blond woman dressed for the beach - we had been going to Kaputas when we left the house!!  Needless to say we hot-footed it out of there and made our way back to Kalkan stopping at a fab roadside cafe for an unexpected Lamb meal. 

Did our tans the world of good that journey!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 15, 2018, 03:33:02 PM
Albie loving your reports, sounds like you and Janet are having a fab time.  I will get round to an update on mine tomorrow I promise!  :D :D hope we manage to bump into you bothin town one evening!
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 15, 2018, 09:44:02 PM
Last full day tomorrow as we fly out Thursday lunchtime, during the day I'm easy to spot, I mean what other senior citizen would wander around with a bear poking out of his shorts pocket?
Last night tradition is to eat at Alternatif so that's where we'll be, minus the bear of course. Had yet another lovely lamb shank out at Adam's tonight, please folks go out and eat there, being out of town he doesn't get the customers those in town do so it is hard work keeping things going, he'll even come & get you and bring you back. I normally bring him flower seeds but for a change I brought vegetables so come October time you could be eating sprouts out there ;D
Post by: Babs on May 15, 2018, 10:24:44 PM
Mmmmm.....sprouts! All the more reason to go then! Enjoy your last day....is Janet going shopping??
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 16, 2018, 06:39:50 AM
Babs, does the sun shine? Janet has curbed her buying this trip, no dress to buy this year and not been hinting at any jewellery for our anniversary, although Tumay is designing  & making her a replacement identity bracelet to replace her 40th birthday one.
Post by: Jojo144 on May 16, 2018, 06:03:31 PM
Albie that week has gone v quickly, do you have a contact number for Adam please.
Enjoyed reading your posts safe journey back
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 16, 2018, 06:05:58 PM
Wow how quick has that week gone...? that's scary!
Do you really walk around with a bear poking out of your pocket - I suppose it beats a red carnation.
Enjoy your last day, look forward to hearing all about it!
Post by: Jojo144 on May 16, 2018, 06:13:34 PM
Don’t worry about telephone number for Adams - found it on Trip Advisor along with brilliant reviews
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 16, 2018, 08:27:03 PM
Yes Kalkan4Eva, Pompeybear goes on every holiday with us& has his photo taken to prove he's been there, top of Empire State or top of Xanthos theatre he's been there.
Well another trip over, our last full day today. Started by having breakfast at Fener on the harbour, Janet went easy with cornflakes & fruit, I went native and had a Turkish breakfast, well there was enough for 2!!! 3 cheeses, scrambled egg on toast, olives, tomato, rocket & green pepper plus toast & jam& honey, not to mention Turkish tea.
After devouring most it, we decided to Patara for a bit of culture. While Janet stayed in the car reading her book, me & Pompey Bear went exploring, we've been here a few times and as it has been excavated a lot you get a good idea how it was back in the day. I love sitting at the top of the theatre and hearing the acoustics, a young family were trying out the echoes which was fun, a little 4 year old climbing up the rows of seats like a mountain goat and looking safe as he did it.
Back into down and down to Merkez for a dose of holiday medicine & a melon juice plus to order a couple of sandwiches to pick up in the morning to take to the airport. A good move by them as Dalaman Airport is rip off central for those hungry & thirsty passengers. Making our way back to Elmas the thermometer in the car read 33c which is about 91F, no wonder we were melting. Straight in the pool to cool down while Janet had a snooze under the awning. A strange feeling laying on the sunbed listening to yourself broadcasting a show on the internet station Swinging Radio 60s via my IPad.
Our last meal was where we always go on our last night Alternatif, Mustafa always makes us so welcome. But before we went to dinner it was a trip down to Ozay to pick up Janet's specially made identity bracelet designed & handmade by Tumay in their workshop in Fethiye.
Up & away early tomorrow to pick up our sandwiches then on to Calis Beach to meet Sam & Lee for breakfast before the last leg to Dalaman.
Hope you've enjoyed my blog and have a great time if & when you come out to Kalkan.
Post by: Babs on May 16, 2018, 08:40:56 PM
Phew, glad to her Janet squeezed a bit of shopping in!  :laugh:
Thanks for sharing your holiday with us Albie
Post by: joycie on May 16, 2018, 09:09:20 PM
Thank you for lovely holiday report . Safe journey xx
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 17, 2018, 06:43:13 AM
Pompeyalbie so glad that you had a fab holiday, and thank you for sharing your week with us, you certainly packed a lot in. Sorry our paths didn't cross, but maybe next time! Have a safe journey home  :D :D
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 17, 2018, 08:06:32 AM
Wow that went so fast Albie. Thanks for your reports I really enjoyed reading them. I think I may have seen you and Janet last night as we were sat in the moonlight bar about 7.45ish. Did you have a little trip up the top step up the hill opposite moonlight? I'm always doing that!

Safe journey home.  :)
Post by: Now retired on May 17, 2018, 08:14:11 AM
Hi Pompeyalbie.
Great reports. Just answering your btinternet problem. yes I have had trouble for 2years with receiving emails in Turkey and also receiving them from Turkey whilst back in UK. Changed to Gmail.com and had no further problems. You can divert your btinternet account to appear on your gmail account.
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 17, 2018, 09:58:13 PM
Used webmail in the end from BT.Com in the end to read mails. Lizilu, 7:45 we were up in Alternatif devouring our dinners, although I did stumble on the manhole in front of Midnight one day this week. We did come up that road last night but don't recall stumbling, I had a white shirt on with a grey jumper draped over my shoulders.
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 19, 2018, 07:37:52 AM
Yes, you fit that description Albie, I must have got my timings wrong. We were at moonlight from around 7-8pm so could have been anytime really.  :)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal