Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Bob & Jayne on July 26, 2017, 01:05:59 PM

Title: Sassy Shirl is Reunited - Absolutely Fabulous!!!!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 26, 2017, 01:05:59 PM
Well here I am again! not quite reunited yet, but 3 more sleeps and we're off! 33 days in Paradise to look forward to!

Well, the spare room is looking like something out of TK Maxx, cases are out of the loft, but there is nothing in them as yet! This year's contraption is an Actifry, yes I know! but it just has to be done, think it is going to be joining me as hand luggage, but if I get my way it will be in OH's cabin bag and not mine! 23 kilos each plus 8 kilos each cabin allowance, so we should be okay!

I managed to hold off for a long time on booking any trips, this year I thought I would wait until we get there, but 6 prebooked boat trips later, including a 2 night stay on Meis, and 2 nights in Kas, I feel quite chuffed with myself. Anyway enough about that, no doubt I will be updating you very soon from our little bit of Paradise in the sun.  We travel to Gatwick on Friday and fly out on Saturday morning, so will be in touch soon! and once we're there only a few days before my Partner in Crime arrives!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Can't wait for our holiday to begin! I feel like I'm bursting with excitement!  :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Sx

Title: Re: Sassy Shirl is Reunited - Absolutely Fabulous!!!!
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 26, 2017, 01:24:06 PM
Yeah!!!!!

One more week and we will be not too far behind you. I can't wait to be reunited with Sassy Shirl again. So we can expect chips as well as coffee paket servici soon ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D
Post by: Babs on July 26, 2017, 02:05:12 PM
Can't wait to hear what Sassy Shirl gets up to.....and of course the Ab Fab girls once you are reunited! Judging by the end of lizilu's post, anything could happen!
Post by: RosiB on July 26, 2017, 02:17:14 PM
You beat me to it! I was going to start my blog this afternoon!
Looking forward to catching up very soon. xx
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 26, 2017, 02:42:10 PM
Oh Jayne...you've started! I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am for your holiday - our very own Ab Fab team almost back together for the summer!
33 days!!!!!! OMG, I'm so jealous. One day soon for us too, I hope.
Looking forward to hearing all about your stay in real time, planned or otherwise! Don't let us down, the forum expects :-*
Post by: Haybo on July 26, 2017, 02:51:56 PM
I dread to think what the trail of destruction will be like by the time we catch up on the 16th!  Looking forward to seeing you then if our paths haven't crossed before!!
Post by: Haybo on July 30, 2017, 07:00:43 AM
What! No blog yet? Come on Shirl...your public are waiting!

Hope you had a safe trip and have got over the excitement of the journey to Gatwick!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 31, 2017, 07:01:44 PM
Guys I'm sorry! I've just spent the last hour filling you in and i've lost the lot! Sorry! Be patient we're having a fab time and out on yildez 2 tomorrow!
Post by: Haybo on July 31, 2017, 07:37:34 PM
Oh no that is so frustrating for you! Enough sitting about, get your glad rags on and get into town! I've just been watching the webcam and it look deserted!

Get in Black and Go,d and order Tears of Happiness.....delish.....
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 01, 2017, 05:55:42 AM
Good Morning!

Now where do I begin.  We left home on Friday afternoon really excited about our journey to Paradise. Plan was to stay over in a hotel at Gatwick and flying out via Istanbul on Saturday morning.   We probably should have known things wouldn’t quite go to plan, it was raining very hard when we left and the traffic on the M3 was horrendous, but we were on our holidays so we didn’t care. On arrival well almost! 5 minutes from the hotel, someone crashed into us at a roundabout whilst we were stationary! What a shock, certainly wasn’t expecting that, I hit my head, but thank goodness we are okay.  Bob spent a good hour on the phone to the Insurance and all will be sorted when we get home, the damage isn’t too bad and the car still drivable thank goodness.

Anyway… we weren’t really feeling the love after this so instead of our planned evening out for dinner, we ended up with a cooked chicken and salad from Tesco back at the Hotel! Oh we know how to live when we are on holiday!

Saturday – day of departure.  All went smoothly, despite an hour’s delay at Gatwick, and my fear of flying came back with avengence, but I must be brave I kept telling myself.  We checked in, extra leg room on both flights, so we were happy bunnies.  I have nothing but absolute praise for Turkish Airlines, despite 2 flights and an hour’s delay we managed to catch up on time and we landed at Dalaman around 8pm. A very speedy turnaround, baggage collected, including the Actifry!!! OH popped into the Duty Free to purchase a bottle of Bacardi and Metaxa and we were good to go!

On arrival in Paradise, everything was just as we had left it a year ago, can’t believe we have been away for so long, but oh it was good to be back.  Flagging a bit now, so coffee and our bed was calling!

Sunday ……Up with the lark, not much sleep but felt so much better this morning. Plan of action, go out for breakfast/brunch, shopping for supplies of food/wine and then chill! And that’s exactly what we did.  Had brunch in Sahila Sultan up in town, and very nice it was too, then on to Migros. I had forgotten how hot it could be by which time it was midday, Mad Dogs etc! but we managed to get everything we needed, and a taxi back to the apartment 6TL!!!! It isn’t worth walking!

Nothing much else was on our agenda after we got back just had a swim and relaxed until early evening.  We had planned to go to Adem’s Restaurant with our friends, as it was their last day. As usual Adem was there to pick us up, he was so pleased to see us.  We had a fab evening, the food was lovely, I had the village cheese to start and Shrimp casserole, I still think his is the best casserole, but just my opinion, Bob had calamari and an Aubergine dish, not quite sure what it was but he said it was lovely too. It was almost midnight by the time we got home, and we were very tired, but our first full day in Kalkan had been lovely!

Monday …. After a what was a disturbed night due to the heat, the air con and fans on and off all night, I was sitting on the balcony at 5am listening to the Call to Prayer! Only then did I realise we were back in the place we love best! I decided to go for a little run before the sun came up, but this proved not one of my best ideas, so just walked along the Kalamar Road, being greeted by several people along the way. Breakfast Turkish style for us and off to the beach we went. We wandered through town, and were greeted by lots of old friends, they never forget you, it was so lovely to see everyone. It was busy for a Monday on the beach, but we managed to get our beds and cushions.  15Tl for 2 and an umbrella, so still very good value. We spent a good few hours there, in and out of the sea and finally ended up in Fener to watch the boats come in, that view is still one of the best in Kalkan.  One by one they all arrived home, was a lovely sight to see.  Only planned on a having water as was so hot, but somehow ended up ordering a bottle of wine, and it went down a treat!! Finally time to go back, so taxi called and we were back in no time at all 8TL well worth it! As we opened the door the smell of the lamb shanks we had left in the slow cooker hit us, and oh wow were they good!

Monday ….. Yildez 2!
Post by: RosiB on August 01, 2017, 06:32:39 AM
Isn't it great to be back?!
Glad you're safely here after a rocky start and beginning to chill. Xx
Post by: Haybo on August 01, 2017, 06:36:34 AM
Oh Shirl isn't it great how you just slip into Kalkan mode the minute you pass LaVanta!

Its such a relaxing and amazing place.  As you know we are bringing my parents thhis time and just getting to Kalkan will be a traumatic experience for my Mum so I am  hoping that she feels what we all feel when she wakes up on the first morning and looks over the bay, and meets the wonderful folk.

10 sleeps!

Post by: Lizilu20 on August 01, 2017, 09:32:07 AM
Yay, Shirl is back and on form despite a traumatic start to your holiday. You'll definitely have a relaxing day today on Yildiz 2, enjoy every minute. Hopefully we will be joining you in paradise very soon...
Post by: joycie on August 01, 2017, 11:39:40 AM
Love reading your reports but so sorry about the terrible start to your holiday with the car. Only flown with Turkish Airlines once and that was because we were being taken back to Brum after Bri's heart attack and they allow oxygen cylinders on their planes. Got to say they were very good nice meals good leg room and very attentive staff. Must say it is another alternative.
Hope you have a fab hols how can you not in Kalkan. October is flying round now can't wait and we've already booked for next year so lots to look forward to.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 01, 2017, 12:58:07 PM
I bet that little bump in the car feels like a lifetime ago now...?
You have SOOOOHHHH many days ahead of you, cant wait to hear all about it. Running in Kalkan at this time of year is definitely a pre-sunrise activity - you must be bonkers though!
Yildiz 2 *sigh*.....
Post by: Skunk on August 01, 2017, 04:05:37 PM
Send our love to the Yildiz gang. Love those boats! Xxx :D
Post by: suzyq1 on August 01, 2017, 09:18:58 PM
Glad to hear you are in back in paradise and already sharing your holiday with us. Bit concerned though....running in Kalkan in August....think  you may need to get that  bump checked out  ;D ;D. Hopefully your day out on Yildiz  has restored you back to  normal Kalkan behaviour of swim, eat, drink and sleep. What ever you do I know you will have fun.
Post by: Babs on August 02, 2017, 04:05:30 PM
Jayne you sound completely chilled alredy......although you wouldn't have been if you'd gone for that run! Carry on having an amazing time.....and letting us know all about it!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 03, 2017, 06:51:25 AM
When I said Monday ….. I really mean’t Tuesday! See we’ve only been here a few days and I am confused.com already with whatever day it is!

I have to say firstly that I have been plagued with Mosquito bits already, I must have at least 30 and they are so painful, not sure how and why but they seem to get me big time.  Bob has been taking vitamin B tablets for a while, and kept saying to me take them, no I said I don’t need them, and guess what, not one bite has he got!!! So 2 trips to the Pharmacy already, some gel and a spray that stops the itching, boy does it sting, but it is doing the trick, didn’t get much sleep because of them last night!

Anyway, Yildez 2 it was. As we left our apartment, a lovely Turkish man spoke to us who apparently lives next door, and as we got talking to him, in our very limited Turkish, he asked where we were going, and he immediately offered to drive us down to the boat, but not in his car, but on the back of his scooter!! Obviously we declined his very kind offer, as I know I have lost some weight this year, but Bob and I on the back of a scooter, would not be a pretty sight!!!

Chris The Spark and the lovely Bernie were joining us and met us down at the boat, and when we arrived as always there was the lovely Yildez family ready and waiting for everyone, they greeted us with open arms, oh my goodness it felt so good to be back. All on board and we were off on the dot of 10am! Coffee served as we motored out of the harbour, left or right he said! And everyone voted left, so Kapatus it was to be! Quite choppy as we turned the corner, but in no time at all we were anchored and swimming with Kapatus beach not far away. Next stop the cave, but still quite choppy so the vote was not to go in, and we then went between heli belly islands and anchored up for more swimming and the wonderful lunch they serve! I know I’ve said it before so many times, but how they manage to cook such wonderful food in that tiny galley never ceases to amaze me! It was very hot today and to be honest, I don’t think I have every been so hot on a boat, so lots of swimming had to be done.  Another stop and fruit was served and as we were sitting there, Pina X was anchored up next door, and somehow Captain Abdi’s anchor was stuck, Flippers on and Osman was in to go and assist him.  It took a good half an hour to free the anchor, but finally he was able to leave. Last stop was Frank Bay for tea, cake and biscuits and another swim and we arrived back in the harbour at 6pm.  What a wonderful day we had all had, absolutely fantastic.

Wednesday ……..

A trip to Kas was on the agenda today. Breakfast Turkish style before we left again, wow we are certainly getting through the tray of 30 eggs we bought at the weekend! Never really understand it to be honest, such beautiful eggs out here, and you never really see a chicken! Anyway, wandered down to town, and hopped on the 10.50am Dolmus, 6TL each, and off we went taking in the beautiful views along the coast road, absolutely stunning. Meis was in good view as we approached Kas, and before long we were sat down at the Harbour eating a yummy Pide and salad to go with it, that was the healthy bit I decided.  The decision next was what beach club to go to, we opted for the Nur Beach Hotel, and it certainly was beautiful.  Amazing sunbeds, sofas and easy access into the sea.  Bob ordered drinks, just water for me I heard myself saying, don’t be ridiculous he said! So before I knew it I was ordering in my opinion what was the best cocktail I’ve ever tasted, a classic Mojito, it was so good, and a little strong too.  Another swim, and then an afternoon snooze on the comfiest sunbed every! Heaven! We left around 6pm and wandered back to the harbour, stopping off at one of the bars for Happy Hour, and then the Dolmus home! We’d had such a great day, and had forgotten how lovely Kas is, although Kalkan is the best! We made a lovely chicken curry for dinner and sat on the balcony as chilled as I have felt in ages! This holiday is certainly doing us good that’s for sure!

Thursday ….. Lovely breeze blowing this morning, up at stupid o’clock, but feel very rested.  Decided to go for a little run, and it was lovely with the breeze before the sun came up!!!

Our friends arrive this afternoon, so the fun will commence Ab Fab style no doubt!!!
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 03, 2017, 02:11:43 PM
Lovely report, Jayne.
We aren't big fans of Kas, but you made it sound wonderful. How can you fail to enjoy a day out on Yildiz 2, love that family to bits. Before we left, we popped down to say goodbye and they were all sitting around a pile of husky looking nuts with Adem's family. I was immediately given a handful to try and then had them in stitches as I ate the whole thing, husk and all. I've no idea what they were...and the husk stayed with me for sometime after ;D
Looking forward to double reports when your partner in crime arrives...the Edina to your Patsy should have arrived by now :-*
Post by: Skunk on August 03, 2017, 07:02:02 PM
Sounds like you have already got well into it Jayne  - and still lots to come. On TV they are talking about a serious heatwave so be warned! 44 in Rome. Those mossies sound really vicious. Smother yourself in lotions and potions! Right, enough nursing talk! Hope Lizilu and Shaun arrive safely with the princesses! Have fun.  ;) ;) ;) 8) Caroline and Nick xxx
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 06, 2017, 06:45:48 AM
Well I can’t believe that we have  been here for a full week! Where has the time gone?

Thursday…..We didn’t make the market, it was so hot and decided that maybe we would go next week or maybe the following! We had enough fruit and veg for the duration, and spices could wait until we go home. Our friends arrived as you will have already read, and it was lovely to see them back in this special place.  We just spent the day round the pool, and the Bacardi was opened! Maybe a bit too early for me, as I needed a nap before we ventured out for dinner later in the evening.  We all went down to the harbour and had dinner at Marina, it was a lovely meal as always and nice to see George and Mario.  Chris and Bernie joined us as well.

Friday ….  Had a lovely few hours down at the Asfiya, and the boys greeted us with affection when we arrived.  The weather was a bit iffy today, so humid but the clouds were rolling in and a bit dark over the mountains! But it soon cleared, Lizzie and I enjoyed the Mai Tai cocktails very much, certainly getting into them this year, considering I’ve never ventured in that direction before, Long Island is my next one to try I am thinking! Anyway, Bob and I then left to go back to the apartment as the new BBQ had arrived and he wanted to construct if for our planned BBQ that evening.  Things didn’t quite go to plan, as lovely as it looked on the box and studying the step by step instructions, something wasn’t right, turns out that the some of the pieces were duplicated and one piece missing! BBQ construction abandoned for the time being, until new piece arrives.  Anyway we didn’t let it beat us, we used our George Foreman and Multi Chef, and we managed to sort of BBQ for the 7 of us, and very enjoyable it was too. We had a fun evening, us girls swimming, and yes Lizzie’s  synchronised swimming I was very impressed with. I on the other hand decided to look at my phone while sat on the side of the pool, and before long yes, you’ve probably guessed I had dropped it straight into the swimming pool! Lizzie and I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry, and in the end we just started laughing much to OH’s disgust who wasn’t best pleased! It was an accident I heard myself saying, and then I said no I think Lizzie pushed me!! We couldn’t stop laughing, but the moral of my story the next morning when I realised the extent that I now had no phone is “never take your phone in a swimming pool” I promptly went to find some rice, but came back with a bag of bulgar wheat, feeling for sure it was dry it out, but unfortunately it hasn’t, so a trip to the shops the next day to get some rice and that is where the phone is still this morning!

Saturday – Not feeling the love this morning, no phone, a fuzzy head and thunder and rain! Rain in August! In Kalkan, surely not, but it was so weird and also so lovely and cool.  We’d planned on the beach today, but thought we would have a wander through town first. Hair cut at Eddie’s for Bob, so I sat and watched the world go by in Merkez drinking a lovely home made lemonade.  We then wandered down to the beach and walked all the way along over towards Palm Beach Club, I didn’t realise you can access the sea from up there, although very rocky, the clouds were rolling in now, but I still had a little dip in the sea, couldn’t go down there and not go in.  It was starting to rain now and getting very dark.  So back up through town, and had to have a watering stop again in Merkez as the heaven’s opened, I couldn’t believe it, seemed like a different place with rain! No lemonade this time, but wine instead, and it went down a treat, we really had to stay at least an hour or so until the rain held off! So another glass of wine it had to be! Finally the rain stopped so back home.  We’d witnessed a young lad delivering apple tea to the shops holding his tray and an umbrella to keep the rain off, people wearing coats and macs, it was bizarre, and I was still sat in my wet swimmies from my dip in the sea! We had booked to go to the Olive Garden tonight, so a pre-drink on the balcony at Lizzie and Automan’s and off we all went, via Kaya to say hello to the boys!
Post by: Babs on August 06, 2017, 07:54:44 AM
Hope your phone has survived Jayne......oops! Rain in August? Happened to us once......at least it clears up quickly and normal service is swiftly resumed!
Post by: keith on August 06, 2017, 02:25:44 PM
Thanks for the report Jayne. It's really good to have some activity on this forum and for you to share your holiday experience. Really looking forward to the next instalment.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 06, 2017, 10:48:31 PM
eeek, Jayne...your phone! I would feel as though I'd lost a limb if my phone was out of action. Hoping the rice will do its job, but the phone shop near Lime Bar might be able to help you get it working if not.

Love that walk from the harbour over to Palm Beach...its really secluded and the sea is lovely here too...glad you managed to take a dip. I can think of worse places to be holed up waiting for the rain to pass than Merkez.

Looks as though the rain was just an unseasonable blip and wall to wall sunshine is back in town...and not before time eh?

Looking forward to hearing more about our own Ab Fab twosome...
Post by: Chris_S on August 07, 2017, 10:56:02 AM
I can see a (waterproof) Samsung or iPhone purchase ahead >:D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 09, 2017, 07:08:53 AM
Well I’m not quite sure what has happened on this holiday, but have been a bit busy to blog, so thought I had better catch up this morning.  ::)

Firstly, the good news is the phone has dried out!!! The bulgar wheat did no good at all, but the rice certainly did! And so far so good it seems to be working! Still have a cut hand due to the broken glass incident but that is healing okay, mozzie bites are sort of getting better, so all in all things are on the up!!

Sunday …… Well as you have already read, Rosieb and Bill’s 40th Anniversary boat party, it was a fabulous day and we thank you very much for inviting us, lovely food, lovely people, Kalamaki Boats were fantastic. What a lovely way to celebrate and we felt privileged to be invited.

Monday ……. Well another boat trip for us all today, Captain Abdi on Pina X, and as you know it wasn’t the usual calm boat trip, never known anything like it, blue skies, brilliant sunshine, warm sea to swim in, and then thunder, torrential rain and worst of all it looked like nightime and we couldn’t see the mountains let alone Kalkan in the distance! I didn’t win a bravery award that day, but looking back it certainly was an experience! Especially when the Captain jumped in the sea in the pouring rain inviting us to swim too, was he really serious??  :D :D Anyway, back on dry land, and a quick trip to Fener was the plan, and yes that is where the mishap with the glass happened, a large glass too and I hadn’t even drank a third of it! Before I knew it, 3 waiters had cleared up the debris, plaster applied to my cut hand, and another glass of wine appeared! How nice are these people, so kind. OH just looked on shaking his head, me knowing what he was thinking!

Tuesday …… A slow start to the day today, chilled in the morning as we were off out to a BBQ this afternoon.  Fab time had by all but this morning am feeing a little delicate to say the least…. Will let my partner in crime complete the rest!!  ;D ;D

Post by: Chris_S on August 09, 2017, 11:23:59 AM
Good news on the phone front, bad news for the phone makers!

With the rice absorbing the moisture, there must be a rice pudding on offer, or at least, sütlaç?
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 09, 2017, 06:09:27 PM
Oh Jayne...blame the cocktails for EVERYTHING!  ;D  ;D

Not sure how I would gave coped with a thunderstorm on a boat trip...so don't give yourself a hard time - Captain Abdi is so funny, love him :laugh:

Look forward to hearing what you get up to next
Post by: tortoise lady on August 09, 2017, 06:44:19 PM
Just now catching up with posts (computer problems).   

It was good to meet you and Bob last year, sorry we aren't around in Kalkan at the moment.

I am not a good sailor so the thought of a huge thunderstorm out in the bay makes me go pale.

Hope your hand continues to heal, likewise mozzie bites.   There was a lot of spraying going on in our road when we were there in June so the Council are certainly trying to do their bit.

Post by: Babs on August 09, 2017, 09:10:33 PM
Oh Jayne, phone, broken glass, thunderstorms......never a dull moment? As K4E says, blame the cocktails.....hope the research I see progressing well!
Post by: suzyq1 on August 09, 2017, 11:10:52 PM
Well I hope you have obeyed my orders and had a chill day with a sun bed and a good book! To avoid any possible accidents around the slippery pool area best have Bob bring you your cocktails to you  ;D  ;D In fact this sounds my perfect sort of day :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 10, 2017, 08:23:24 AM
Hey Shirl, you forgot to mention about your little spin on the captain's chair  ;D  ;D  :-*
Post by: Babs on August 10, 2017, 06:07:48 PM
Spinning on the captain's chair.....more info, or better still, a photo please!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 11, 2017, 06:25:47 AM
Thanks for all your comments lovely EK Readers!  :D

Now where do I begin?? I think you are uptodate with events until Market Day, I am losing track of the days and weeks now, I can't believe that we have almost been here 2 weeks now, although we certainly have packed it in again despite saying we wouldn't arrange too much! Oh well, it just has to be done!

Now just to clear up the matter of the Captain's Chair?? It was one of those spinny high stool affairs, thought I would just perch myself on it for a while, when the Captain wasn't looking, Lizilu and Automan looking on from the dining table, unbeknown to me, at the time hadn't realised that it was a spinning one, and as I clambered on it, it spun round like a roundabout resulting in almost another mishap on this holiday! thankfully my 2 friends were the only witnesses much to their amusement!  ;D ;D

Thursday .....

Shall we or shan't we go to the market? only if we got up early OH said, so off we set at 8.15am! We went immediately left taking us up to what we thought would be level with the market, but no we had climbed too high so we then had to come back down a very steep hill, but hey ho, lots of steps gained on my fitbit. Greeted with the same old sayings "cheaps as chips" "cheaper than Asda and Primark" and same faces on the market stalls.  Not sure why I was eating Turkish Delight at 8.30am in the morning but would be rude to refuse wouldn't it? Priced up 6 polo shirts that my brother has ordered, didn't think it would be so difficult, he doesn's want brightly coloured ones as doesn't want to look like he has been tangoed he said! too much choice, so decided to leave that task until next Thursday! Anyway purchases made, ie new pair of shorts for OH, fruit and veg and of course some lovely goats cheese, we were done.  Next stop Suleyman's for a chicken sandwich for breakfast, unfortunately we were too early for that much to our disappointment, so the only option was DIY version, so Migros it was for chicken and fresh bread, and back home to replicate it, and very nice it was too. The rest of the day was very chilled, just lazing by the pool with our friends, with the odd glass of something to keep us cool!

We had booked to go to the 80 & 90s night at Kaya tonight, so off we went, and what fun it was.  Lizilu and I dancing the night away until almost midnight, and we were quite pleased that we did, because the food was lovely and we needed to dance off the calories consumed, well I know I did, as I am sure I had eaten enough for 2!   

Friday .......

Surprisingly awake at the crack of dawn, so off for a little run this morning, 2 dogs that hang out near Chillies, always join me, wagging their tails when they see me!

Quite hazy this morning, with a very slight breeze as I am sat on the balcony, so hopefully it won't be as hot as yesterday, but something tells me it probably will.  Beach club for us all today, but not sure which one yet.   :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Post by: Babs on August 11, 2017, 07:38:29 AM
Have woken to a blue sky with a strange yellow ball in it! Glad it's my day off today. But sadly no beach club for me......just yet! I'm seriously impressed that you're keeping up with the running in the heat......takes a sassy one to do that! :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 11, 2017, 01:42:02 PM
You certainly have packed things into your first two weeks...and you still have almost three weeks ahead of you. Make the most of the gorgeous weather, its definitely turned Autumnal at home...already!
Very impressed with the running...mega cocktail points in the bank!
I'll look out for you on the Kaya FB page...they like to post videos from their 80/90's nights ;D ;D
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 11, 2017, 04:04:04 PM
Just loving reading your reports Sassy Shirl and feeling so lucky to be sharing these good times x
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 13, 2017, 07:21:36 AM
Thought I had better catch up, as the days are all rolling into one, I can't even remember what day it is let alone what we did two days ago! but will try and remember! I know that I have already had my hair cut and my eyebrows done at Jasmine Coiffeur, but haven't managed any bag shopping yet, only going in with Lizzie the other night, but there is still lots of time, and I am working on it.

Friday..... Yes Palm Beach Club with the gang, the girls opted for this one, so we were happy to go with the flow, and glad that we did, Ab Fab!!! it was.  On the very quick boat journey over, the Captain slowed down and there in front was a gorgeous turtle poking his head above the water, such a lovely thing to see. Caretta I said to Automan! Unfortunately the front sunbeds were all taken when we arrived, but we were led to our own little private area at the top and it was beautiful.  So hot though, so we spent quite a bit of time in the sea, and I made several attempts to get on the trampoline, but failed miserably! Managed to clamber up the ladder, but couldn't quite manage to get the strength to get on it! hey ho, the platform it had to be then!

We left late afternoon and Cocktail hour was calling at Aubergines! A Long Island Iced Tea for me and Bob had something with rum and lime in it, the name escapes me as hadn't heard of it before. Back home to a lovely chicken that had been slowly cooking away in the slow cooker, and that lovely green bean dish that Bob makes and fresh sweetcorn, delicious!

We had ordered a Gas BBQ which arrived and to cut a long story short the we had to have another leg sent out, so this evening was going to be spent assembling what seemed like 500 bits, but finally it was completed, well done that man is all I can say!  :D :D.

Saturday .... A lazy day was had by all, quite cloudly but so humid in the morning. so spent the day round the pool with our friends, trying to cheer them up as they were feeling a bit anxious as 2 of their girls were travelling home, but in no time at all, they had landed safely, so everyone was relieved. Automan looking after Lizzie making her drinks, she said oh I love this Metaxa and coke, thank you! to which he replied Lizzie it is Bacardi and Coke! Oh how we laughed  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

We had booked the 10 year anniversary BBQ at Cafe Vita in the evening, so had to be ready early as plan was to have drinks on the way at Cosmopolitan Bar, and what a fab little bar, and such friendly people.  The evening was fab, far too much food, belly dancing and Turkish dancing, fireworks, t shirts, caps, roses for the ladies, complimentary Champagne, you name it we had it! but boy were we full by the end of the evening, and then in true Ab Fab style, we stopped off at Johny's Bar for a nightcap, Lizzie and I had our annual photo taken with Captain Jack Sparrow, the nightcap was probaby a mistake, but it had to be done! Slowly we meandered up the hill to our beds. 

Sunday ..... Day of rest! Today the only thing I am going to do is lie on a sunbed on the beach with the occasional dip in the sea to cool off, and then test out our newly assembled BBQ this evening with the Gang!

Sx

Post by: keith on August 13, 2017, 01:49:48 PM
Loving the blog Jane.......it's so amazing that we still haven't managed to visit a lot of the restaurants and bars that have been mentioned in recent posts. We really do try to spread our custom and will definitely be trying some new venues during our next visit in 4 weeks time.
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 13, 2017, 03:50:15 PM
You cheered us up beautifully thank you  :-*
Post by: Babs on August 14, 2017, 02:27:50 PM
Glad you caught up with your dodgy friend Jack! Always a photo opportunity!
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 15, 2017, 01:32:03 PM
Getting on the trampoline at Palm can provide the other visitors with entertainment for a while....I'm sure you kept people amused in the hot sun. It does require a fair bit of upper body strength to get on but getting off is equally tricky so you did the right thing giving up and heading to the platform.
You have to get there early to bag the best beds...eh Babs?
Looking forward to hearing more about your stay
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 15, 2017, 07:42:23 PM
Well it's Tuesday evening I think! just had to confirm that with OH! am I going mad, is it the wine or is it just that we are having too much fun in the sun! need to bring you totally uptodate as busy time ahead for the rest of our holiday.

Sunday.... Yes fab day on the beach and then our lovely BBQ which resulted in enough food to feed the 5000, so much so we carried it over for Monday lunch/brunch. 

Monday .... very slow start to the day, and rendevouz round the pool for brunch which spilled into the afternoon being a very lazy day indeed.  A few drinks to keep Lizilu and I from not getting dehydrated of course, we'd had a lovely day of fun in the sun and all was good! We had our evening planned, a walk through town checking out the bags in town, boys in Merkez for a drink while we were shopping, and then  before we knew it, it was 9pm and time to eat and Fener it was.  Lovely food, although quite busy and waited a while, but was well worth the wait, and the wine was flowing by the time dinner arrived. All very tired by now, but just a quick  nightcap we thought, so up the stairs to the Pirat to see Regae and the boys.  They never forget you, such lovely people, and was well worth our weary legs walking those stairs to say hello.

Tuesday ..... Kekova for Bob and I today. 9am pickup, and actually was regretting the 1am bedtime slot we had earlier this morning, but all was good.  Bang on time Define Tours collected us, and we were on our way before we knew it. That journey is absolutely amazing, the views well, we all know how wonderful they are, every year I take the same photos and to be honest could just post the same ones, but still it is nice to take more! We've had a fantastic day, swam lots, visited the cave, met some lovely people, seen the turtles, had a fab lunch, had the delicious icecream (sadly I didn't make it to the Fort, sorry K4E!) I really wanted to I promise!  Finally, after a fab day we walked back through the door at 7pm! 10 hour day trip, so tired, but very happy! 3 things on the Agenda tonight, quick shower, a large glass of wine, fab curry that OH has rustled up (goodness knows how he has done that) and a Metro Bar straight out of the freezer! (acutally I think that is 4 things)!

Sx
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 15, 2017, 09:12:27 PM
What a fabulous day at Kekova. We must go again next year. Hope the wine was LARGE Shirl  :o :D
Post by: Skunk on August 16, 2017, 12:00:38 AM
Sounds like another great day! Meanwhile we have been mourning a very close friend and visiting Ginny's grave. But in the process we have met up with lots of close friends and been on a retail therapy expedition or two! That's why we haven't been in touch much.
Love to you all Skunk xxx
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 16, 2017, 10:58:06 PM
Sorry for your sad times skunk. Take care x
Shirl, sounds like a fantastic day out and automan is drooling at the thought of your metro bars  :)
Post by: Babs on August 17, 2017, 09:29:07 PM
Sounds lovely......we must make time for a Kekova trip this time.....or maybe next year!  ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 18, 2017, 05:16:53 AM
Skunk so sorry to hear your sad news, take care  :D

Well it's Friday and we have been here almost 3 weeks, I can't believe how quickly time has flown, but what a wonderful time we have had!

Firstly, I would like to report I have now witnessed Lizilu with Roger Ring, and she certainly has mastered it! She is now an expert! Oh how we laughed in the pool yesterday!

Anyway moving on.........

Wednesday....... somewhat tired this morning after our 10 hour trip to Kekova, but to be honest it we had gone earlier in the holiday, we would be repeating the trip again, but never mind there is always next year! Slow start to the day today, starting off with late breakfast, still enjoying the lovely eggs, but now with the BBQ varying our breakfasts/brunches! We all decided the Asfiya was the choice of the day, and what's not to like about going down there, especially waiting to see what the Cocktail of the Day is on the blackboard as you walk it.  Today it was a Mojito, my absolute favourite, so we waited until the clock struck 12 so to speak and Lizilu and I were ordering! and oh were they good! There seemed to be lots of boats out today, especially sailing boats, which to be honest I hadn't witnessed much, although OH said he has, but it was a beautiful sight just lazing on the beds watching them all.  Back home around 4pm to the pool we thought as it was absolutely boiling today, although not nearly as humid.  More fun in the pool with Roger and Walter, a couple more drinks for us all, and before we knew it it was time to get ready for our night out! Now I don't really wan't to elaborate as we are all waiting for Haybo's next instalment, but it has something to do with a celebratory birthday, and we were all invited, and what a fabulous evening we  had, thank you so much Haybo  :D :D :D :D

Thursday ........

Well a little bleary eyed today, as after our lovely evening, we all decided to go to Moonlight for a nightcap, Lizili and Bob were raring to go, I had a little dance in front of the webcam so that certain people back home could see us (OMG why did I do that) must have been the copious amounts of wine I had consumed! Kenan the nutman was there and we had a lovely chat with him, which resulted in us videoing him, he was rather pleased with the end result and asked us to put it on Facebook! Well it was well after midnight and Automan and myself were really tired, Lizilu and Bob wanted to continue partying though! sorry we were the party poopers, but they reluctantly agreed to going home  :o :o, so taxi up that hill to bed!

Town beach was the decider for today, so after a stroll into town to change some money 4.51 the rate was at Merkez today, slightly lower, but still quite good, and also the lovely man in there gave me some Turkish delight when we had changed our money, so was glad we chose there! Love that place, so nice.

Quite cloudly today, but a lovely breeze on the beach, but wow was it difficult to get in and out of the sea with the surf. Not really seen a surf much on the beach but today it was a little rough, once you were in though, it was fab.  We had lunch at the Beach Cafe, so cheap in there, and food good. First icecream of the holiday at Fener on the way back, they are so good and another bargain only 4TL each! they seem to get cheaper every year.  Anyway, another rendevouz in the pool when we all got back, a couple more drinks before we got ready to go out (it's getting a habit now) and by 7.30pm we were all dressed up and in Marley's sipping on our cocktails (another habit I seemed to have got into this year). 

Now this is the best part, Bag shopping!! I had my eye on a Mulberry Lily Bag for ages in BSG, I had already purchased the Mulberry pouch purse last week, and Bob said he would treat me as a belated birthday present! I am so happy with my purchase, I love it, couldn't decide which colour to get, but opted for Black in the end as it will go with anything  :D :D. I love that shop, and they even offered us a drink while we were browsing, so wine it had to be!

We had booked Escudo for dinner, had never been there before, and the food was delicious. We were back home just before midnight, a quick nightcap with the gang on the balcony, and then we retired to our beds.

Friday .......... Boat trip day  :D :D :D :D :D and Yildez 3 it is!

Sx
Post by: Babs on August 18, 2017, 07:11:47 AM
Goodness, Roger and Walter are getting a lot of action this holiday!  ;D ;D
Yes, you were spotted waving and dancing at the webcam......took some coordinating though! :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: joycie on August 18, 2017, 03:53:18 PM
Lovely report. If you get a chance do a stopover in Kekova. Well worth it and totally different once the boats have stopped. We stopped at Sahil last year but have to book really early. Mor and Dave have booked next door this year but both lovely places.
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 18, 2017, 05:55:31 PM
Oh we've had such a laugh haven't we and I'm very proud you were impressed with my ring skills  ;D ;D ;D
Post by: Skunk on August 19, 2017, 04:19:26 PM
Only just seen your post Shirl. Sounds like you are living the life of Riley. Take care. Xxx
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 20, 2017, 04:19:43 PM
And so I continue….

Friday ….. Yildez 3 it was.  I won’t elaborate anymore as my Ab Fab friend has already mentioned, but we had the most amazing time on Yildez 3, Adam and his family did us proud, We were actually making for Kalamar Bay at 9.45am and pulled back into the harbour at 6.30pm! It doesn’t get any better than this, especially when your with good friends, it certainly was a day to remember, and I am looking forward to repeating the experience on Monday week, when we have booked to go again!

Saturday …… We had a car hire for the day, and we certainly made good use of it! Kapatus beach for an early morning swim was on the agenda, and it was early morning, because on the dot of 7.30am Bob and I were on our way.  Thinking we would be the only ones there (we were wrong) there were a fair few cars parked and must have been at least 100 people already there, some of them already in the sea, but quite a few sleeping on the beds in sleeping bags, obviously their hotel for the night! The sun wasnt quite on the beach when we arrived, so thought it might be a bit cold, but it wasn’t, the sea was like a warm bath, so in I went and it was exhilarating! OH has had a dodgy back for the past couple of days so he just chilled on the sunbed and took some lovely photos. We stayed an hour or so, and then navigated the newly built steps back up to the top, our feet being hosed down on the way by a man who was hosing down the steps.  When we got to the top, there were several goats milling around, not sure where they came from, but was a lovely sight to see.

Next stop Adam’s Restaurant to say hello and have a coffee, he had a table of 6 arrive for breakfast so he was his usual charming self and making everyone welcome. Supermarket then for more supplies as we had the car, Carefour we thought as haven’t been there yet this holiday, lots of choice in there, and wished we had gone earlier. Slight mishap though, I got a trolley and hadn’t realised the grid at the back of the trolley wasn’t secured, and yes, one of the bottles of wine fell straight through the back and smashed on the floor! Oops, within seconds 3 men had swept and cleared it up, and made sure I hadn’t cut my feet in the process!

Brunchtime next! So off to Kardelin which is opposite the Yesilkoy turning off the D400, it is basically a caravan with a conservatory type building attached, but they do the most amazing chicken sandwiches in there! Delicious. If you haven’t been I would thoroughly recommend going.  2 of these and 2 diet cokes was 19TL!

We then went back home and collected the Gang and Patara Beach it was to be! Quite humid and not much sun when we arrived, but boy was it hot.  The surf wasn’t too bad, so within minutes of arriving we were all in and had a fabulous couple of hours there, the sun came out and it was very hot, so around 4pm we decided to come back to the pool and open the lovely Prosecco Lizzie had been saving for us. The bottle was soon gone, so a bottle of Majestic was opened and Lizzie and I got stuck into that too! And from there on in, the partying continued… Well it was their last night, so we needed to party.

We walked into town to meet the Gang at Kaya, at Yali we came across a lovely Turkish guy with a scooter, well a 3 wheeler to be frank.  Before I knew it Bob and I were talking to him, and within minutes, there I was riding pillion, and he whizzed down the hill and round the roundabout and dropped me at Kaya! OMG it was such fun, but I think the wine encouraged me, as I would never had been brave enough to have done that normally. The Gang were already there, and laughing when I told them, Automan had actually seen me circumnavigate the roundabout, buthadn’t realised at the time it was me on the back!

Agora was the venue for dinner tonight, and it was so delicious, I had a beautiful steak with peppercorn sauce that melted in your mouth. We could see Haybo and her famly on the roof terrace at Black and Gold so lots of waving went on, Bob and I had already bumped into them before the restaurant, so apologies Haybo that I probably was talking nonsense! It must be the sun (or the wine)!!!

By the time we got down to the harbour to Yacamoz, I was definitely on the water, we had our last nightcap and taxi back up to our beds! Well that was until Bob suggested another nightcap on the balcony, one last drink with out friends, I think the time was getting on for 1.30am, and poor Lizzie still had washing in the machine and cases to pack! But in true Ab Fab style, we managed our last nightcap of the holiday with them. 

Sunday ……

Up at 8am, not sure how, but we were.  The gang have just been collected and are en route to Dalaman, very emotional goodbyes, but we wished them a safe journey, and what a fab time we had all had. We will just look forward to seeing them in paradise again next year and hopefully for our annual meet up in the UK in the New Year.

After a small breakfast, as wasn’t hungry after yesterday’s feast, we decided to go down to the Kalkan Regency Hotel, wow what a beautiful place. Fantastic views over Kalkan and the lunch was fabulous.  They even have a pool bar in the pool so to speak, we swam, ate and just drank water. Very hot today, and humid again, so around 4pm back to the pool for a cool off!

Anyway, going to sign off now for a few days, as tomorrow is an exciting day, we are going Overseas!!! Well to Meis actually for 3 days, and then Kas for 2 nights.  Will be back to Kalkan on Friday.  We really are looking forward to our mini holiday within our big holiday.  If I can manage to work the Ipad, I will try and do a blog.

Sx
Post by: Babs on August 20, 2017, 09:02:04 PM
How exciting....you're gong abroad! Have fun  :laugh:
Post by: Irene on August 20, 2017, 09:43:47 PM
I have loved your reports & of course Lizzilu's adventures - coffee on every morning, sit down, relax & read your reports, love Kalkan - love life💕  Thanks for sharing your holiday xxx
Post by: Haybo on August 22, 2017, 05:51:03 AM
As Jayne brought it up, I can confirm she was pretty merry when we bumped into them after the bike incident....how she went and ate like that I don't know, but good on ya Jayne...you pulled it off!

If you look at a photo of Automan on FB..you can see us in Black and Gold in the background!
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 22, 2017, 07:42:35 PM
I'm so envious of your break within a break....Meis is gorgeous and to be there when the boats have gone will be a real treat. Enjoy, looking forward to hearing all about it.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 23, 2017, 07:08:59 AM
Well blogging from Greece that's a first!

Sunday ...... early meal for us as early start in the morning. Plan was Hunkars, but they were heaving and queues out the door, so Alternatif again it was. We both had chicken hermes which is in a brandy cream and mushroom sauce. Absolutely delicious. Will be going back at the weekend.

Monday ...... going abroad! Define Tours collected on the dot of 8.30am together with our huge suitcase full of enough clothes for a 5 week holiday let alone 5 days! IN no time at all we were in Kas, all went smoothly tickets bought, passports handed over and then we were told half an hour delay, not to worry coffee on the harbour watching the boats leave, so all was good.
We arrived in Meis around 11am and what a beautiful sight pulling into the harbour. Immediately spotted turtles as we arrived. Next stop try and find our pension dragging said big suitcase behind us! OH not impressed with my packing skills! The accommodation is very traditional, an old rum house just off the harbour. Perfect but second floor with heavy case!!
A quick unpack as lots of exploring to do and lunch to be had! To summarize we experienced our first pork gyros wow! Washed down with retsina and then swam. A perfect introduction to our first day here. In the evening we went for a walk and then for dinner at our favourite restaurant on the harbour. King garlic prawns followed by seafood spaghetti. It was amazing. I keep saying that was my favourite meal everywhere we eat but this one is right at the top! We were given complimentary Grappa didn't know you had that in Greece but I declined mine so OH gladly sunk 2! Our bed was calling as almost midnight and what a wonderful day we had both had.
Tuesday ..... up with the bells early! They certainly ring over here but I didn't mind I was off for an early morning explore before the sun comes up. Thinking I'd be the only one around the place was buzzing with coffee shops open fishermen going about their business, it was just like something out of a film set! I walked up to the castle, thinking this should help with my over indulgence the previous evening. What a beautiful view from the top! Back down and that's when I felt like the real Shirley Valentine, I ordered coffee and sat at a little table outside one of the restaurants taking in the amazing view, it was a very tranquil special moment amazing! Lots of beautiful boats in the harbour, one being apparently the Martini Bianco Rosso family, it is massive. Anyway back to the rum house to wake OH as more exploring to! We walked to the other side of the island to Mandraki via a beautiful place where the Mediterraneo film was made. What a stunning location. Lovely little traditional taverna there. Would really recommend seeking it out if you visit Meis. Anyway Mandraki another stunning place right on the sea. Only one restaurant there and the owner Nikko, as we were to find out chatted to us and before we knew it, he said I'm off to the to the other side of the island to get the bread do you want to come I'll give you a lift back! IN his inflatable dinghy he meant! So low and behold we were speeding through the water back to the harbour! What fun! Such lovely people!
Next stop a well earned drink lunch and sunbed and swim time and that's exactly what we did!
One sad thing to add was a boat of refugees arrived overnight guessing about 40 of them. SO sad hope they get relocated somewhere soon.
There was a very strong warm breeze blowing tonight and it was so welcoming as it was blistering hot today, so was easy walking as felt cooler. Dinner was planned to visit the taverna back up the hill which we did but when we got there we thought about the amazing prawns we had the previous night, so we just had a drink there and went back to the harbour for more of the same and delicious they were too!
Wednesday ...... can't believe we are leaving today. It has been absolutely wonderful. I've just got back from another early morning stroll, we have until 4pm so the day is our oyster so to speak! 2 nights in Kas now for us so we are now looking forward to that too.
Hope this all makes sense as have done it on my phone. Apologies for any typos!

Sx

Post by: Lizilu20 on August 23, 2017, 09:25:37 AM
Oh Jayne that sounds wonderful. I can't believe we've never been to Meis yet!

It must have been upsetting seeing the refugees landing. Hopefully they are now safe and able to build new lives until they are able to return to their homeland if that's their wish.

Enjoy your last day. Missing you guys so much and wish we were with you sharing your experiences.  :-*
Post by: suzyq1 on August 23, 2017, 07:24:16 PM
Think you need to hit the pause button so we can all catch up! Kalkan,Meis now Kas. All sounds amazing and looks beautiful going on your FB photos. Beginning to wonder how I'm going to fit everything in that I want to see and do on a day trip to Meis. You and Bob will have to come up with an itinerary that manages to fit in all the highlights, including a lovely lunch by the harbour of course  ;D
Hope you enjoy Kas as much as Meis. You will be heading back to Kalkan for a rest!
Post by: Babs on August 23, 2017, 09:40:12 PM
Your little trip abroad sounds absolutely wonderful! Definitely somewhere we really must visit.....one day!
And now Kas, enjoy!  :laugh:
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 26, 2017, 07:05:56 AM
Thank you for all your lovely comments. 

It’s been a whirlwind week, but we have enjoyed every moment of it! And would definitely recommend a stop over for a couple of nights in Meis.

Wednesday ….. Our last day there, well we just chilled to be honest. Our little pension had been lovely, basic but everything we needed, and the owner was a lovely lady. She wasn’t around when we checked out, we were just outside, when she came walking up the road, she was off to meet her next guests arriving on the ferry.  We paid her the money for our stay and Bob said can we have our passports please, which she promptly produced from the carrier bag she was holding.  All very laid back in Greece it seems with the passport security!

The Rhodes Ferry arrived mid morning, and the refugees were all on board and on their way, I had seen them in the morning and felt very sad, but seeing them board the Ferry prayed that they would all now be safe and find a better life somewhere else.

We had a last stroll around the town, and then made our way to Faros Cafe which is where you come into Meis, lovely little restaurant with sunbeds and swimming in the sea, absolutely idealic, and that is what we did, swam, and sunbathed and watched the world go by and boats arriving and departing.  It was the perfect end to our stay on Meis. We had our final Gyros for lunch with a beautiful Greek salad and another couple of glasses of the lovely Retsina, I am getting quite a liking for this tipple now! We had watched the restaurant next door put 6 chickens on a make shift spit roast right on the front of the harbour, everyone stopped to look as they walked by, and around 1pm they were ready and in no time at all, they were all gone!

We made for the Ferry around 4pm, not forgetting the Duty Free Shop first though.  A bottle of Bacardi and Vodka, and some of the lovely Retsina purchased and we were sorted! Well sort of, because our case was getting heavier by the minute, we had so far only worn probably one tenth of what I had packed, I was seriously regretting it now, especially as OH’s back is still playing him up, and I was the only lugging the case around! It seems like chaos at the terminal, but within 20 minutes we were all boarded and the boat set sail! Quite a choppy crossing though the wind was up again, but half an hour later we were back in Turkey! We disembarked, with the suitcase! Passports taken off us, Customs asked me to open the case, produced our Duty Free and all okay, then they said 45 minute wait for the passports! One couple were stopped, and they had some pork in their hand luggage, no meat they were told, not sure whether it was confiscated or not! But they are very strict it seems.

We retrieved our passports and then made for our next little Pension in Kas, which was 5 minutes from the Harbour, another lovely little pension where we were to spend the next 2 days.  We ate at Hunkar in Kas on Wednesday, very different from Kalkan, but the food was lovely, just the same.  We had a walk through town after dinner, one thing we did notice is that there seems to be so many Barbers there, lost count in the end, seem to be in every street!

Thursday ……..

I had packed my trainers, so thought I would go for an early morning run, it was lovely, down to the harbour and along I went, just 20 minutes, but felt very refreshed on my return ready for what was to be our next feast!

Breakfast!! I have never seen anything like it, all the normal Turkish things, but in addition the biggest dish of borek, chips, aubergine with yoghurt, menemen, green bean, red pepper and potatoe dish,  it was absolutely amazing! But chips for breakfast! Who could eat chips for breakfast??? Well I just had a few! The dessert was chocolate cake and lemon cake and the usual fruit! Dessert for breakfast!

Today we were going to go to Cinar Beach which is on the peninsula, instead of taking a taxi which we had planned, we decided to walk, as we had eaten such a huge breakfast! The walk was lovely although the sun was well up on arriving there, but the views amazing and OH took some lovely photos. 

The beach was really lovely, and would recommend it.  Quite a welcome breeze, as the temperatures the last few days have soared well in the late 30s.  Had a lovely day there, despite the wind taking a parasol out and landing on me hitting my head, bit of a shock at the time, but I was okay (it can only happen to me) of all the people on the beach, it landed on my head!

We got the Dolmus back to Kas as far too hot to walk late afternoon, 3TL each and almost right to the door! We watched the sun go down from the harbour and it was beautiful, and we ate at Meydan Restaurant on the front, first meal since breakfast, couldn’t believe how hungry we were.  We shared a meat pide, shrimp casserole and a lovely Village salad (the healthy bit), but it was all very nice!

Friday …….

Another early morning run, Turkish feast again, but today I was quite conservative!

Market day in Kas, and I really needed to get my brother’s promised t shirts, just a short walk from where we were staying so all was good, purchases made and we were back to check out by 11.30pm.  Paid and asked for our passports back again! He rummaged through the drawer, amongst a stapler, papers, pens etc, and there they were underneath everything! When I think how we hide them away at home. We did chuckle though. The owner of the pension had said he would take our now very heavy suitcase and us to the office at the  harbour as we were leaving the case there for the day ready for our transfer bus back to Kalkan at 6pm.  We must have misunderstood him, as he meant he would take the case to the office which was fine, we could walk, but he had a scooter.  He promptly loaded the huge case with duty free inside onto the back of it, and off he went, don’t worry he said, I do this al the time, driving the scooter holding onto our case behind him! Couldn’t believe what we were seeing, but case and driver were all safe!

We spent the day a Mumi Beach Club which is to the right of the harbour, we hadn’t been there before and it was beautiful.  We had a lovely late lunch with wine and beer for hydration, boy was it hot today, the breeze from the sea wasn’t really doing much, so lots of swimming for us.  A few parasols escaped again, but this time, I kept my head well covered and protected! We had a fab day, and at 6pm we were on the transfer bus en route back to Kalkan.

We ate at Fotos Pizza last night, we are not big Pizza lovers, but have been fancying one all holiday, and all I can say is that the view is fabulous, and as for the Pizza well it was absolutely delicious, OH was very pleased as his beer was 9.50TL as well, another place I would recommend if you like Pizza. It was very busy as we were quite late eating, but we didn’t wait very long for our meal and it was all freshly cooked.

Saturday …… Only 4 days left of our holiday, where has the time gone? Have no idea what we are doing today, but am sure it will involve swimming and lazing on a sunbed somewhere!

Have a lovely bank holiday folks!

Sx
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 26, 2017, 08:29:09 PM
Oh shirl, hope your bonce is ok!!  :o trust the Brolly to land on you  ;D

We are missing you both like you wouldn't believe and really wish we were with you. It sounds like you've had an amazing time on meis.

Enjoy your last few days and make the most of them. X
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 28, 2017, 06:56:45 AM
Lizzie, we certainly are making the most of our last few days, and ditto, missing you guys lots  :D :D

Well we are definitely in single figures now! 2 whole days left and then home time!

Saturday ….. Normal early morning routine, a definite run today after that humungous pizza the night before.  A little bit of packing and sorting as don’t want to leave it to the last minute, we wan’t to make the most of our last few days in the sunshine, having said that so glad that the sun has finally come out at home for everyone!

Another haircut for OH this morning, so off to town, the Shack today it was to be, I had a wander and ended up in Desti Gift Shop, love this shop and the owner is an absolute Gentleman. He told me he had a shop in London, and ended up showing me photos on his laptop.  Bought a couple more of their lovely Turkish purses for gifts, he has such lovely things in there.

Back to meet OH, but he was still having the works! Absolute precision in every cut of his hair, followed by the normal fire in the ears and nose and then the beating (well I think they call it a massage)! But he felt so much better for it, despite his bad back! As I was sitting waiting, enthralled by the procedure, a chap came in for a haircut, saw me sitting there and said are you next for a shave! Much to everyone’s amusement, I replied “no it’s okay, I had a shave yesterday”!!!!

We called in to see Ebo at the Sunglasses Shop, what a lovely guy. Town Beach we thought today, but then decided we would go and say hello to Regae at the Pirat as we had promised we would one day pop along, and haven’t, so that’s what we did.  We ended up spending the day there by the pool, with lunch, beer and wine (a few glasses)! We saw lots of old faces from when we stayed there a few years ago, they never forget and are so nice. It was also busy which was nice to see too.

Back home for a BBQ in the evening and yet another swim.  What a lovely relaxing day we had, I think we only made it to 10.30pm, and bed it was to be!

Sunday …….. Morning ritual for my run, I am 100% certain Yali was still Yali as I ran past, but as you probably have seen it is now changed to Anka! And sure enough when we walked past in the evening the signs had changed, and pretty impressive it looks too.  They certainly worked very quickly on that! We even stopped at the bank around 11.30am in the morning and it was still Yali I am certain!

Another wander through town for us, big decision where for a late lunch? Meldi Hotel was our choice, so a wander along to there, and a very good choice it was.  Chicken Salad and Tuna Salad and they were very good indeed, really lovely food, so much so we have booked for dinner there on our last night! Have kept saying we would go in the evening but have never got round to it.  We spent the afternoon there swimming and relaxing, but it was absolutely scorching.  They even brought round frozen towels mid afternoon, never experienced that before, but what a good idea, really cooled us down.

In the evening we went to Kaya (more food) I am dreading getting on the scales when I get home.  Such a fun evening, the guys in there go all out to make you feel welcome and the food was fab. Big mistake though, we ordered starters, not realising the complimentary dish would appear! Massive hot bread with olives and the most amazing dip, which apparently is olive oil from the mountains, rock salt, ground pepper and pomegranate syrup, served warm, it is definitely something to replicate at home! We had ordered garlic stuffed mushrooms and homemade chicken liver pate, all of which was delicious, stuffed aubergine with lamb mince and I had chicken in a ginger, garlic and cihlli sauce and of course the homemade chips! Oh dear were we full! But a fab evening and so glad that went. A big thank you to the Kaya Boys!

Monday ………

A long run this morning after the feast again! No breakfast just fruit, and it is Yildiz 3 take 2 today, and you know what that means! Another feast!

Sx
Post by: Babs on August 28, 2017, 08:09:48 AM
Shirl.....I'm not sure what impresses me more, the runs or the food!! Certainly sounds like you are making the most of your last few days. I'm sad it's coming to an end so can't imagine how you feel  :-\
Post by: keith on August 28, 2017, 08:57:15 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how much others manage to pack into their holidays in Kalkan. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all about your experiences Shirl and I will try to be a bit more adventurous on my next visit.
Post by: Kalkan regular on August 28, 2017, 06:54:54 PM
My son in law who's come back today says the old Yali supermarket is now much better stocked and they were filling the butchery counter so I guess the new owners will have it up to scratch soon.
Post by: suzyq1 on August 28, 2017, 09:43:55 PM
Oh Shirl, I can't believe you are nearing the end of your holiday  :( You certainly have had an amazing time and packed so much in.
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all your posts so thanks for taking the time and sharing your holiday with us.

Enjoy your last couple of days and I wish you both a very safe journey home. 
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 29, 2017, 06:21:01 AM
My son in law who's come back today says the old Yali supermarket is now much better stocked and they were filling the butchery counter so I guess the new owners will have it up to scratch soon.
Did the old Butcher get the chop?    8) ;D
Post by: Chris_S on August 29, 2017, 11:03:16 AM
I assume the new Anka, is owned by someone called Paul? ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 31, 2017, 04:59:26 PM
Jayne, thank you so much for sharing your very LONG holiday with us...you do certainly pack some stuff in whilst you're there. I've loved reading your reports and the runs are indeed impressive, given the Kalkan terrain is less than perfect for walking, let alone running. Hopefully it will have helped balance out the feasts...although its cocktails that do the damage, I swear..and you've sank a lot less of those since Lizillu went home  ;D ;D...just sayin...!
The new Anka is in fact the old Yali owners rebranding....I hope things pick up for them.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 03, 2017, 07:32:45 AM
Thank you everyone for your lovely comments.  Sorry for the delay in my final blog. Our long holiday is now well and truly over, but we had the most amazing time, I didn't ever think Kalkan could get better as the years go on, but it well and truly does. 

The last 2 days went by in a flash, but we had the most amazing day on Yildiz 3 on the Monday, second trip on there this year, we met some lovely people, and laughed from the moment we got on until we got off at well after 6.30pm again! Bob did some fishing and after only 20 minutes out of Kalkan Harbour, we had stopped as he had caught his first fish of the day! and very pleased with himself he was too!  :D

Tuesday (our last full day) we went over to Kalkan Beach Park, first trip of the holiday, it was lovely, they have built a new hotel and a swimming pool this year (Haybo you didn't miss it last year, as new for the season), but it was very cold water to say the least, but very nice.  The weather was a bit cloudy, but so humid.  Our last lunch of the holiday so it had to be a burger, and it was delicious.  We went back to Fener for another last of the holiday (their delicious icecreams) and then back for last minute packing all ready for our 2am transfer to Dalaman Airport  ??? ???. We were unsure where to eat, but after great deliberations we decided on Alternatif (We had had 3 fab meals there this holiday).  So off we set, and so glad that we did! I had my favourite dish the Chicken Hermes in a cream, mushroom and brandy sauce and OH had Ottoman chicken, which came on a bed of  mash potatoe with a lovely cheese sauce on the top, all of which was delicious, of course with a side dish of the lovely scooped out chips that they do in there and the fab samosa complimentary dish to start.  We had a lovely evening albeit sad that we were going home, said our goodbyes to everyone, and they kindly gave us a box of their lovely Turkish Delight each, we certainly had chosen a nice place for our last supper!

Home time was approaching, all went smoothly en route home, via Istanbul with Turkish Airlines, (I can't praise them enough, they are a brilliant Airline), despite a very turbulent last leg over Germany back to London Gatwick as there was a lot of low cloud! but that is another story, and I won't bore you, but it wasn't very nice considering I am terrified of flying.

Back to reality now, all settled in at home, yesterday we felt a little bit like we were on holiday, as the weather was very warm, and we spent the day on the beach at the Bournemouth Air Show, work is looming for tomorrow, but hey ho, we have had an amazing time of Fun in the Sun! So until next year, I will look forward to reading everyone else's holiday reports.  So come on Joycie and Keith, don't let us down, no pressure! and of course anyone else that is about to go, and wants to share their holiday on EK.  (Babs and Suzyq1) yours will then be next!!

Happy Sunday everyone  :D :D :D

Sx

Post by: Babs on September 03, 2017, 08:21:23 AM
You missed me out Shirl.....we are going soon too!! ;D
Thanks for sharing your amazing holiday with us, you've done some lovely things this year and I can't wait for when we are able to go for longer periods so we can do things like staying on Meis. I'll know where to come for advice. And this time we are definitely going to visit Alternatif, never been but heard so many good things about it!
Hope going back to work isn't too tough....after all, you do have a good view! ;)
Post by: keith on September 03, 2017, 08:25:01 AM
Jayne.....thanks for sharing your holiday. It sounds like your flight home was a bit bumpy and I'm hoping for a smooth flight on Monday week. Tracey isn't the best of fliers and she would definitely not enjoy too much turbulence. I will write a regular blog but I can't promise that mine will be anywhere near as captivating as some that have been written over the past couple of months.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 03, 2017, 08:46:43 AM
Aww Babs, so sorry! Of course we will all be looking forward to your reports when you are there in October when everyone else is home! thought I would leave yours to a surprise blog!  :D :D :D xx

Also, I didn't mention Suzyq1, I think she may be on her way too very soon!!!  8)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 03, 2017, 08:50:58 AM
Keith have a fabulous holiday, bet you can't wait! Am sure your flight will be fine, safe journey, and look forward to hearing all about your holiday  8)
Post by: Babs on September 03, 2017, 09:04:13 AM
I'm so needy!  ;D ;D
Post by: joycie on September 03, 2017, 12:30:06 PM
Four weeks tomorrow and we'll be on our way. Bri asked show many pairs of shoes should he take? Well since he only ever wears his sandals when we're there one I think!
As for me don't ask and no doubt I'll still find a pair or three to buy while we're there.
Thanks for giving us a wonderful insight into your holiday. Can't wait,
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 04, 2017, 08:30:53 PM
Joycie, a girl can never have too many pairs of shoes on holiday, and Babs am looking forward to reading your EK fix in October!  :D :D :D
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 05, 2017, 09:27:08 AM
It was definitely worth waiting for Shirl.  :-*

Next year seems so far away but I hope we manage to co-ordinate our holidays again. It just wouldn't be the same without you and Bob although my liver would be very happy.  ;D ;D ;D
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal