Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Travel and Accommodation => Flights and Travel => Topic started by: onelove on June 03, 2017, 09:16:06 AM

Title: Airport security @ Dalaman...
Post by: onelove on June 03, 2017, 09:16:06 AM
Just returned to the uk via Dalaman and I have to say the security is as tight, if not tighter, than anywhere I have flown from.....Ever 👍

It starts off with a check point before you get onto the airport road, mirrors under the car, doors, boot etc opened, if they are still not happy you are told to pull the car over for a more thourgh search.

When you pull up outside the airport entrance (concourse) there are armed security Guards 👍. As soon as you enter the airport itself you have the first X-ray machines, where all the people in front of me were patted down, including my wife & I. A couple of the staff on the X-rays were also armed 👍. On to check in to drop of luggage, no prob. Then you make your way to the 2nd X-ray area where everyone I saw was patted down again 👍 + passports @ boarding cards checked. Then onto passport control. Last but not least when you enter the 'gate' area ALL hand baggage was searched and swabbed 👍, as were ALL passengers 👍

Security don't get a lot better than this 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
Title: Re: Airport security @ Dalaman...
Post by: Tatilde on June 03, 2017, 11:16:29 AM
I agree onelove. I haven't travelled through any other airport where your bags are checked as you enter.
Post by: sally on June 03, 2017, 03:59:07 PM
Do you have to keep kindles, ipads etc out for inspection & then put them in hold luggage after the initial Xray?
Post by: pw on June 03, 2017, 04:02:00 PM
Do you have to keep kindles, ipads etc out for inspection & then put them in hold luggage after the initial Xray?

No
Post by: Mick07413 on June 03, 2017, 06:52:47 PM
Done this three times so far this year. Happy to do it. Great work by the authorities.
Post by: annav on June 03, 2017, 07:43:07 PM
We also travelled today and was very impressed with the security. Be warned you cant take apple mac laptop chargers in hand luggage-my daughters was taken off her at the gate after her bag was searched but they let her put her bag in the hold from there so it wasnt a problem
Post by: si18665 on June 03, 2017, 09:00:56 PM
I fly very often and not always with the holidaymaker mood. I don't share your enthusiasm for the airport security in Dalaman, where they confiscated me a nipple two days ago, but also airports security in general. While I agree that passenger security is paramount, I have ended on don't know what to carry, or not to carry in my luggage. The entire experience of entering an airport and reach a plane seat is awful for me, as there so many controls, that it seems nobody cares how to make passengers flying experience better. I just can't believe that the technology has not invented a multi scanner like a tunnel, where I can walk throughout it with several sensors detecting what I carry, without taking out all my belongings from the luggage, two or three times before I board the plane.
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 03, 2017, 09:41:38 PM
where they confiscated me a nipple two days ago,.
Well I must say after all my years of air travel I have never had my nipples consficated! >:D :P
Post by: Mayday1 on June 03, 2017, 10:32:00 PM
Does anyone else have experience of nipple confiscation ?...and did they manage to get them returned ?
Post by: hobbo on June 04, 2017, 12:46:30 AM
Done the journey twice so far this year, very impressed, very efficient. Yes there was a bit of confusion if you were carrying something out of the norm,  in March I had a DSLR camera and a few lenses, at each point they checked if it was allowed and at the last check they were swabbed for explosive residue etc. oops my camera body and one lens were classed as 'hot' the 9 security officials that appeared were very polite and we had a chat about what might have caused the alarm, they closely examined my camera gear and eventually I realized that as part of my job I had been photographing the interiors of crashed cars where the airbags had deployed. To me this proved their detector worked and my Antiperspirant didn't
Post by: DRBD on June 04, 2017, 06:11:11 AM
Onelove.... approx how much longer would you say this added to  your transfer time.  It seems some are going through easier than others so what extra time is advised to add to transfer/checking in time.
Post by: Chris_S on June 04, 2017, 12:04:39 PM
As I understand it:

The restrictions apply ONLY to laptops, tablets, e-readers and large smartphones (of the relevant restricted dimensions, any one of which cannot be exceeded); this includes their chargers and spare batteries.

Cameras aren't covered, except 'Professional' cameras, and by that, they infer the sort that need to be supported on a shoulder or tripod.  DSLRs aren't included, specifically.  Similarly Camera batteries are not included.

Note that air travel has other restrictions, which have been around for years - these new, selective restrictions, are additional.

On batteries, note that the restrictions apply, but with a safety proviso.  In the case of Li-ion, Ni-Mh and Ni-Cad batteries, they should be preferably kept in their original packaging, and/or have their terminal taped over.  These batteries, when short-circuited, can cause fires - hence the precautions.  And don't assume they won't short circuit, the unforeseen can, and has, happened, and caused fires.

If your smartphone is charged before you start your journey, you won't need a charger, will you?  So put it in the hold, with everything else that you don't need, or are allowed, in the aircraft cabin; effectively: travel light.

You can then de-stress yourself at the airport however you choose, worrying only about the airport's attitude to the customer (spend, spend, SPEND!), and the airlines' treatment of you as SLC (that's Self-Loading Cargo - their definition, not mine!).
Post by: Kalkan regular on June 04, 2017, 08:00:25 PM
DRBD we arrived 3 hrs before the flight time as advised by the airline. Queues into the airport through the first scanner were no different to normal. The desk however only opened 2.5 hours before so we had a 30 minute wait before we could check in. We went to the gate at our normal time and yes there was extra security but it was efficient and no long queues. We felt that if we'd gone at our normal 2.5 hours before flight time we would have been no different than in the past.
Post by: si18665 on June 04, 2017, 08:42:42 PM
where they confiscated me a nipple two days ago,.
Well I must say after all my years of air travel I have never had my nipples consficated! >:D :P
:)
Post by: DRBD on June 05, 2017, 06:07:48 AM
Kalkan regular... many thanks for that info.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal