Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Travel and Accommodation => Flights and Travel => Topic started by: Enjoy Kalkan on March 21, 2017, 05:57:12 PM

Title: Changes to electronic items
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on March 21, 2017, 05:57:12 PM
Please be aware Kindles and iPads are no longer allowed in your hand luggage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39343971

So what does this mean to you? What will you do to pass the flight time?
Title: Re: Changes to electronic items
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 21, 2017, 06:04:39 PM
We literally posted this at the same time, Jon :D. So I've deleted my post - its saying the same thing. The Evening Standard are saying its just flights inbound to UK...? Does this mean we can use them going out?
Post by: pw on March 21, 2017, 08:33:22 PM
I don't get it! I get that safety and security is paramount, but I don't get this. So, you can use your tablet going out but coming back it has to go in your hold luggage.......where no one will check it or scan it. It might be switched on or the battery could be dead.......and if it explodes it's goodnight Vienna whether it's in the cabin or the hold.
Am I missing something??

pw
Post by: Mick07413 on March 21, 2017, 08:50:34 PM
PW.

Agree with your comments.

Must be a specific piece of intelligence as to method but not necessary the country of origin .
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 21, 2017, 08:56:29 PM
Yes we thought the same...if it goes in the hold there'll be less checking on these items which are normally scanned at the security gates..?
I dont think it will be long before the outbound flights are also included too.
Post by: sally on March 21, 2017, 09:00:55 PM
Don't know if it's true but I read that if you plant a bomb in one of these devices you have to have it with you to detonate it.  Which seems odd.

I don't mind putting my kindle in hold luggage but not so keen on the tablet/laptop.

Is there an internet cafe in Kalkan or somewhere one can access internet?  I only need to check my emails once or twice a week, so can manage without tablet.
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 21, 2017, 09:20:39 PM
I sense a recipe for confusion...airlines will just eventually say all such items must go In the hold....funny how they don't check shoes anymore after the bloke with exploding trainers that didn't explode ?
Post by: alantj on March 21, 2017, 11:01:04 PM
Please be aware Kindles and iPads are no longer allowed in your hand luggage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39343971

So what does this mean to you? What will you do to pass the flight time?

As seasoned travellers to Kalkan who manage to pack everything, even for our main 2 week holiday into hand luggage, it probably means paying EasyJet another £80 to check a bag in.
Post by: Kuzu on March 22, 2017, 07:35:15 AM
We've just come out with cabin bags, guess we will have to buy a hold bag to get our iPad home in 2 weeks time!
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 22, 2017, 09:37:38 AM
Surely any would-be terrorists will just make their way to a country that doesn't have the ban..?
Greece, Cyprus, UAE... ??? Seems a bit random to choose 6 countries only, and just inbound flights.
I understand the ban also extends to digital cameras too - makes luggage very heavy if like us you take laptops for work, iPads for personal use and a large digital camera. It also makes all luggage more attractive for thieves.
Oh well, BH will be pleased as there'll be less room for bag purchases.
Post by: Chris_S on March 22, 2017, 11:46:04 AM
I can't see this lasting long.

The ultra budget airlines will be rubbing their hands with glee ( or rushing to the bank) at their 'you have to put this in the hold - that will be a gazillion pounds please!'  Though it should be noted that Monarch have upped their checked-in luggage allowance by 3kg for no charge, to compensate.

Hold luggage is, or should be in 'proper' airports, more thoroughly scanned than hand luggage.  What you don't see is the higher radiation scanning equipment used, together with sniffer dogs.

The concept that it's safer in the hold than the cabin is solely down to activation, though it seems possible it could be done by Bluetooth, scanning for active Bluetooth equipment in hold luggage will probably raise an alert (if the airport does it - debatable).  This won't stop something on a timer that is programmed to go off somewhere obscure after take-off; this problem exists anyway, so is probably screened for already.

A 'Security expert' on GMTV this morning said Holds weren't pressurised, so it would be less disastrous.  Most holds ARE pressurised, it's easier and cheaper to make the whole fuselage pressure tight than just the bit above the floor, it's just not air conditioned.  Remember Lockerbie?  Bomb in the hold…

At least this is manageable.  You CAN put it in the hold baggage, but most travel policies don't cover it.  They'll also be rubbinbg their hands with glee!

Anyway, how can you do two weeks in Kalkan on hand luggage?  Are you washing everything while there, or are you one of the people that have enormous cases in the overhead locker?
Post by: Mags on March 22, 2017, 12:10:35 PM
A point which I haven't seem mentioned in this thread yet is that this latest restriction is likely to reinforce the impression that certain of the UK press is determined to create that Turkey is a hotbed of terrorism and is a dangerous and "hostile" country for UK travellers. Lumping Turkey with the likes of Egypt and Tunisia is SO unhelpful - although I'm sure that there is a sound intelligence basis for this. I am so worried, though, about the effect this will have on our many friends in Kalkan who rely on tourism for their livelihoods.
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 22, 2017, 02:14:24 PM
Precisely Mags!
I am mightily relieved to be flying with Monarch, although you can just see the lack of communication when you check in your overweight cases at Dalaman.
Hope the other airlines follow Monarch's lead.
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 22, 2017, 03:32:25 PM
On the bright side it might get rid of some of those stonking great cases that find there way into the overhead lockers if electrical items have to be in the hold!! how do they manage to get those cases onboard? They aren't squishy and bendy to fit in that frame thingy for testing size! more noticeable flying from Dalaman but last year nearly everyone had a whopping great bag in fact the stewardess had to give one woman a hand lifting it up !..I'm fed up with my little teeny weeny flight bag being four rows behind where I'm sitting because large cases have been stashed....grrrr! >:( >:D.....and breath...pheeew
Post by: lynda on March 22, 2017, 04:22:12 PM
Easyjet are saying you can put these items in your cabin bags and they will be put in the hold free of charge.
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 22, 2017, 07:34:36 PM
ABTA have released a statement that says insurance company's will only normally pay out for claims on electrical goods if they have been looked after.By placing them in the hold they will probably consider they haven't . Bottom line is don't take them unless it is vital and / or you can afford to take the hit if anything happens to your items......don't you just love insurance company's?  >:D
Post by: msr on March 22, 2017, 07:42:09 PM
I will always abide the flying laws that are brought in if it is a case of security.
We only ever bring hand luggage and must admit will miss my kindle especially as I have downloaded and saved Jeffrey Archers 7 books The Clifton Chronicles. I was so looking forward to reading them back to back in Kalkan this summer😟
Post by: Sezkalkan on March 22, 2017, 08:37:26 PM
Msr - have you got an iPhone? If so you can just download the kindle app. I know it's smaller but at least it's a compromise.
Post by: alantj on March 22, 2017, 11:05:43 PM
I can't see this lasting long.

The ultra budget airlines will be rubbing their hands with glee ( or rushing to the bank) at their 'you have to put this in the hold - that will be a gazillion pounds please!'  Though it should be noted that Monarch have upped their checked-in luggage allowance by 3kg for no charge, to compensate.

Hold luggage is, or should be in 'proper' airports, more thoroughly scanned than hand luggage.  What you don't see is the higher radiation scanning equipment used, together with sniffer dogs.

The concept that it's safer in the hold than the cabin is solely down to activation, though it seems possible it could be done by Bluetooth, scanning for active Bluetooth equipment in hold luggage will probably raise an alert (if the airport does it - debatable).  This won't stop something on a timer that is programmed to go off somewhere obscure after take-off; this problem exists anyway, so is probably screened for already.

A 'Security expert' on GMTV this morning said Holds weren't pressurised, so it would be less disastrous.  Most holds ARE pressurised, it's easier and cheaper to make the whole fuselage pressure tight than just the bit above the floor, it's just not air conditioned.  Remember Lockerbie?  Bomb in the hold…

At least this is manageable.  You CAN put it in the hold baggage, but most travel policies don't cover it.  They'll also be rubbinbg their hands with glee!

Anyway, how can you do two weeks in Kalkan on hand luggage?  Are you washing everything while there, or are you one of the people that have enormous cases in the overhead locker?

EasyJet have gone one better allowing us all to check in a bag for free.

Hold luggage is actually less intensively scanned than hand luggage, the reason they ask you to take  laptops out of bags is to reduce the background clutter that makes making out details more difficult. There is no problem with radiation levels as modern equipment has no difficulty seeing through bags using very low levels. I suspect that it is more about stopping any scope for a bomber having control over where they can place the device.

Two weeks on hand luggage, using a standard hand luggage sized bag, is no problem.Just don't take a pile of stuff you either won't get to wear anyway or can easily buy in Kalkan.   

Post by: Kalkan-Mina on March 23, 2017, 10:04:44 AM
We have a 17" laptop in our apartment, at the Emir, which is available for our guests to use with free internet.

Easyjet website says they will permit hand luggage to be put in the hold free of charge which is good news for our iPads and Kindle as we are travelling in April with just hand luggage.

Hopefully other airlines will do the same.

www.mina-kalkan.co.uk
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 23, 2017, 12:04:24 PM
As BL points out, those expensive items in the hold may not be covered by your insurance. Its not just the opportunist thief who will now be looking for smaller bags, have you seen the way they are tossed about in handling..?
Post by: Lizilu20 on March 23, 2017, 01:00:27 PM
Hmm, will this affect the secret Kalkan diary of Lizilu20 - 2 irresponsible adults at Easter???

I hope not, but it's a bit worrying if Ipad etc not covered by holiday insurance.  :(
Post by: Chris_S on March 23, 2017, 04:43:25 PM
Early research suggests that:

ANY hold luggage is NOT covered by travel insurance (unless specified as a 'bolt-on' addition).  It is deemed as 'unattended' and thus not covered.  Which means, well work it out for yourself.

You may find that, and certainly our Household Insurance Insurance does, that it covers personal possessions worldwide, and specifically states that the hold luggage would be covered this way.  It means that you're not going to replace anything free on holiday, but who knows until you talk to them?  The airline has prime responsibility here, and would be the first port of call, though responses will vary!

So, take your Kindles, and things, you'll just have to contain your suspense for the Clifton Chronicles until you're pool-side…  I would suggest a return to the old-fashioned magazine on the flight, this may be the printed page rebirth!

Other advice is to make full use of luggage straps (lockable) - this acts as a further deterrent to the Airport thieves by being another time-consuming barrier; and remove the batteries from the electronic articles if possible (especially if they are Li-ion) - this pleases airlines as Li-ion batteries have a poor reputation on aeroplanes(!).  Placing them individually in a plastic Zip-Lok bag is a good idea to prevent short circuits.

Hold luggage gets additional screening often by topographical scanning and also more generally Explosive Trace Detection equipment, but like all things, these are only effective if used, and used correctly, but unfortunately, not universally.  Topographical scanning gets confused by disjointed layers, so placing articles in layers assists this, like shoes at the bottom, then clothes, then something else - unfortunately this may not really be the best way to pack things without damage!  I would put the laptop, etc in the middle layer, thus cushioned by the soft clothes around it/them.  It's when the brief hand luggage can't discriminate is when you get the personal attention at Security!

And finally,  ;D ;D ;D, I assume, alantj, that you're related to that O'Leary guy who espouses that you take nothing, buy it there and bin it when you come home - this was his excuse when he started out on the hand luggage only activity.  He could, at least afford it! >:D >:D >:D  But then, you may have the villa/apartment with most of what you need already there, while the rest of us emulate the tortoise temporarily moving house for the duration :angel:  (I couldn't find an envious emoticon! And no offence is intended).
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 23, 2017, 05:48:57 PM
Bubble wrap...£1 a roll Poundland 8)
Post by: msr on March 24, 2017, 08:12:46 AM
Thanks Sezkalkan. I used to have an iPhone, but not anymore. Must admit wouldn't fancy reading books on it though. Will have to read The Clifton Chronicles earlier and take paperbacks to Kalkan. Not really a problem apart from space taken in hand luggage.Sorry BL might have to revert to one of the 'bigger' hand luggage cases😱😱
Post by: Tatilde on March 24, 2017, 08:47:41 AM
Don't take paperbacks. Buy them from Kaş4Kids or Kapsa shops.
Post by: onelove on March 24, 2017, 01:23:48 PM
Don't take paperbacks. Buy them from Kaş4Kids or Kapsa shops.

Great shout 👍
Post by: littlelin on March 24, 2017, 06:00:09 PM
"So, take your Kindles, and things, you'll just have to contain your suspense for the Clifton Chronicles until you're pool-side"

My understanding is that it's only UK bound flights, so you should be able to take electronic items in the cabin on the outbound flight. Just the return flight that's the ban affects.
Post by: msr on March 24, 2017, 06:35:28 PM
Thanks Tatilde, will do😀
Post by: Babs on March 25, 2017, 07:37:53 AM
Logically, there are going to be lots of bags containing iPads, laptops, kindles etc......you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get anything stolen?? Or am I wearing my rose tinted glasses? Obviously this is just a way to encourage lizilu to post!
Post by: Chris_S on March 25, 2017, 12:08:11 PM
littlelin:  you're right, but I suspect that the policy will roll out onto all flights in order to standardise operations at airports.

Quite apart from any malcontents realising that the opportunities will lie in the non-UK bound flights for some heinous action.

And, being deliberately obtuse and probably not amusing, the Mr O'Leary's of the world would probably expect us to buy a new laptop, tablet or e-reader on holiday and leave it behind  ;D
Post by: yorkielovit on March 25, 2017, 02:04:16 PM
This is what the EJ website says. 'We recommend that passengers do not bring large personal electronic devices if possible and would encourage customers to check in their hand baggage free of charge and bring only essential items on board the aircraft'

However I have spoken to CS staff who both said I had to pay. Eventually got one to go to website who agreed thats what it meant so she said she would notify airport but I also got her to email it to me.

Before this happened I bought a secondary tablet (as you do) on a groupon offer so may combine tablet and reader on this and leave with friends until I return in June. Dalaman being Dalaman can just envisage the chaos that will ensue  :D
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 25, 2017, 04:42:18 PM
If they are going to bring this into effect it should be for every flight..no if's and buts so no grey areas...after the sad events in Westminster in which the scumbag that caused it was a national of the UK. To assume that the threat only comes from flights from 6 countries is in my view blinkered.
Post by: Chris_S on March 25, 2017, 06:46:20 PM
from KTLN:

"Meanwhile Turkish Airlines has announced special arrangements that will allow you to use your laptops and tablets right up to the departure gate, where any restricted electronic devices will then be taken by airline staff for secure transportation.  It sounds as though they will be better looked after rather than being subject to the risks of normal baggage handling."

Post by: alantj on April 04, 2017, 02:01:36 PM

And finally,  ;D ;D ;D, I assume, alantj, that you're related to that O'Leary guy who espouses that you take nothing, buy it there and bin it when you come home - this was his excuse when he started out on the hand luggage only activity.  He could, at least afford it! >:D >:D >:D  But then, you may have the villa/apartment with most of what you need already there, while the rest of us emulate the tortoise temporarily moving house for the duration :angel:  (I couldn't find an envious emoticon! And no offence is intended).

No but we do have a washing machine and I am pretty good at packing from years of holidays touring Europe on a motorcycle carrying luggage for two people for two weeks and a tent! It took a while to convince the wife that it was doable but twice having to wait for a couple of hours for our luggage after arriving into Gatwick at midnight helped.   
Post by: Chris_S on April 05, 2017, 11:05:14 AM
There's the rub.

We, since there are only two of us, and a villa / apartment doesn't make economic sense, don't have access to a washing machine.

Hence the quantities of luggage not seen since Zsa Zsa Gabor went on holiday (http://tinyurl.com/kg56awm (http://tinyurl.com/kg56awm))… (well, not really, you know how budget airlines work!)

Lesser of two evils in the end.  Anyway we need the luggage space for all those bags to bring back.

Time to add the tracking and trashing software to the tablets and laptops, methinks, just in case (no pun intended - oh, I don't know, though!).
Post by: csivegas-rob on April 23, 2017, 12:20:54 PM

We flew last night from Dalaman to Bristol with EasyJet.  EasyJet would allow hand luggage on board for free if it contained any gadgets.
The Easy jet queues were huge and it took us an hour and a half to check in our bags, luckily passport control was quick.
The 3 hour check in time unfortunately seems to be realistic especially as we move towards summer.

This is the email sent day before we flew, hope this helps.

Please be advised that in line with new UK Government requirements you will not be permitted to take large personal electronics, such as kindles, tablets and laptops into the cabin of the aircraft on your flight from DLM to BRS.

This also includes items that can be attached/ plugged into a laptop such as keyboards, power cable transformers and external hard drives. Please avoid bringing personal electronic devices where possible or pack them into your hold luggage. Portable power sources and spare or separate device batteries that are larger than 16cm X 9.3cm will not be permitted in the hold or the cabin of the aircraft and will not be able to travel.

If you travel with hand baggage only you will be able to check this in for free at our Bag Drop when you get to DLM airport.

There will be additional security searches at the gate, therefore we advise passengers to get to the airport 3 hours before their flight, to help us get everyone on board on time.

The safety and security of our passengers and crew is our highest priority.

For more information on the new security measures on flights from Turkey and Egypt to the UK please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-transport.
Please also check our Flight Tracker for more information on your flight: www.easyjet.com/6272

We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.

easyJet Customer Services
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 06, 2017, 12:28:41 PM
Monarch are allowing an extra free 3kg pp for inbound flights but only if your booked luggage is less than 26kg. Anyone - like us - who has bought their most expensive package of extra legroom seats and more kg for cases will not be afforded the same courtesy as someone who has paid less. How wrong is that? I'm waiting for them to call me back, but I'm not hopeful!
Post by: samson on June 06, 2017, 12:39:15 PM
we also flew back with Easy Jet last week and were in the bag drop for nearly an hour and a half. unlike previous years where each destination flying out of Dalaman had its own designated bag drop, this time there were four different flights in the same queue's. it was the longest we can remember since "on line" check in has been available. the rest was all fairly quick.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal