Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: moorsalex on September 25, 2016, 08:45:35 PM

Title: KALKAN REVISITED MANY TIMES BUT WHAT THE HECK!
Post by: moorsalex on September 25, 2016, 08:45:35 PM
No I haven't posted before but I felt there was a bit of a vacuum here after Jocie and Chris and also I am faced with x factor in other room… yes UK TV is in KALKAN -no escape..

We are regular Kalkanites having our own place for 3 years and being regular visitors for 7 years before. Now doing our usual 3 week stint before the end of the season.

Came out on BA on the same flight that Chris-S got back - was not our fault really that it was late - BA said a bird was at fault…also met someone else in Kalkan who said they got the same excuse so just regard that as the standard BA excuse for late..

So we got in very late Wed  we also got stopped by road side check just outside Fethiye but we also stopped off at Yali for some provisions - seemed a a bit run down on stock but could have been the time of night..

Thursday  - didn't get up too early but went into town to get groceries from greengrocers and got lured into Kaya - this happens all the time to us - we had shopping and need of a bit of hydration - so shopping went into the fridge at Kaya - and we left after several beers and wines and food of course and felt the effects on Friday - so Friday was a DAY OFF and we took it a bit easy -

Saturday - we were still pretty lazy but we took a road trip over on the track that goes up on the headland before Patara where we found:

A major villa with security
A ghost villa development
A cafe on the shores -the owner gave us grapes and we will probably come back for a fish lunch - you have to call him the day before to arrange.
The most hungry insects in the history of bugs - safe to say about 20 bites.

Sunday i.e today:  Went to visit Adams - he was a bit tired as it was his daughter's engagement party the night before but he was great as usual.  He always says we bring him luck as he was really busy - apparently the schools go back Monday and Mrs Adam was stressing..

Anyway we are back to Kisla now - Xfactor and all..

Will try to post again assuming I did this OK??
Title: Re: KALKAN REVISITED MANY TIMES BUT WHAT THE HECK!
Post by: joycie on September 25, 2016, 09:14:14 PM
Loved reading your post and we don't leave till tomorrow. Adem is so lovely. Have a great stay don't worry about us did I say we were going home tomorrow?
Post by: Haybo on September 26, 2016, 06:08:51 AM
Yay, the baton has been passed on! Fab report..keep them coming !
Post by: Babs on September 26, 2016, 07:49:00 AM
A new poster.......excellent, with any luck we can keep this going year round? Welcome to the dark side moorsalex!
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 26, 2016, 11:23:24 AM
Oh goody. What a fantastic start to a dull Monday morning.

Thanks moorsalex  :)
Post by: Trotter on September 26, 2016, 01:35:05 PM
Much better thanI could do. Never mind we are about to return to the real thing. Sitting waiting to board at Manchester. TC say.30 min delay, do I believe them?
Post by: Chris_S on September 26, 2016, 02:55:35 PM
Baton duly passed over…

It is interesting to note that:

referring to "The Aviation Herald" (http://bit.ly/2dm1QXY (http://bit.ly/2dm1QXY)), there's no mention of any bird strikes at Gatwick on, or around, that day.

Considering that BA2562/3 is invariably late, there must be a lot of bird strikes, or the 'BA Book of excuses' is getting to the more desperate ones.

Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 26, 2016, 04:08:16 PM
Just having my Monday afternoon fix on EK, and thank you so much moorsalex, what a lovely first post, and yes please keep them coming! Brilliant  :D
Post by: keith on September 26, 2016, 07:53:50 PM
Thanks for sharing your Kalkan experience moorsalex. Looking forward to reading your posts.
Post by: moorsalex on September 27, 2016, 06:51:56 AM
MONDAY

A day by the pool it was for us yesterday.  This means:

1.   Cup of tea by the pool
2.   Breakfast by the pool
3.   Read paper/book by the pool
4.   Eat sandwich by the pool
5.   Play music by the pool (Bluetooth speaker required)
6.   Drinks by the pool after suitable wait from item 2

It does not mean GET IN THE POOL!  This is something my husband doesn’t understand.  Born and raised in Scotland, I have aversion to cold having had enough of it in my informative years.  And 22c water temperature in the pool does not cut it even if it is 28c outside.  So the usual discussion of what’s the point of buying a villa with a pool if you don’t use it ensues… water temperature has to be in the high 20’s before I’ll go in.  The downside of this strategy is too long is spent under the sun’s rays and I now have a sunburnt face and comedy tan lines.

Off into town in the evening – first stop Botanik to take Nam a bottle of rum he asked for from the duty free and sample a cocktail. I had one with strawberry and basil in – it was really good and OH had  3 Margheritas.  We were the only people there – a group of 4 came in when were there but just stopped for 1 drink – it’s hard to see how he can survive another season like this one.  Then we went on to Pera restaurant.  We haven’t been here before as it’s newly opened.  I had liver and a steak and OH had octopus and lamb chops.  He thought his meal was great but I had to send the steak back as it was overcooked and dried out.  The replacement was even worse, half the size and to be honest I’m not so sure it wasn’t the same steak cut in half and served up again after more cooking…At this point OH had long finished his meal so I gave up on mine. 

We then went for a walk through town, looked at some carpets – OH suitably emboldened by 3 cocktails and red wine was all for buying half the shop but I managed to reign him in and make our escape and stopped at Black and Gold for ANOTHER cocktail.  OH had one with absenth in.. This was not a good idea.  We then wandered down to the harbour and had ANOTHER cocktail at Trio at which point we realised a taxi home was the best thing.

So here I am, writing this and catching up on email, and about to walk into town to retrieve the car.  OH is not up yet– he has hangover from hell (Absenth induced I think) and has had the AC off and on all night – source of many arguments – see earlier point about hating being cold.  Hopefully he will be sufficiently recovered by the time I get back to go out perhaps to Islamar but I’m not counting on it.  And I still have very sunburnt face so another day by the pool is not really advised!
Post by: Babs on September 27, 2016, 07:44:05 AM
Admirable research of cocktails there moorsalex, well OH really! Hope you have a chilled day, in more ways than one, be careful of that sun and please don't soak it all up as we'd like plenty of rays left for when we are there in two weeks time!  :laugh:
Post by: joycie on September 27, 2016, 08:09:43 AM
 Oh how I wish we were still there. Did think about squatting but didn't think Sue and Shaun would be best pleased on Saturday.
I agree about Botanik went in a couple of times and there was only us in there. Glad you've taken on the baton look forward to your lovely reports.
Post by: Kalkan Magic on September 27, 2016, 08:48:17 AM
You could have stayed and had the spare room Joy! But Bri would have had to make us those full English breakfasts every day!! Sue xx
Post by: joycie on September 27, 2016, 12:02:49 PM
Oh Sue you could have had your own naked chef. Fabulous holiday hope you enjoy yours Thankyou.
Post by: moorsalex on September 27, 2016, 07:40:13 PM
TUESDAY

Well after hiking up the hill in Kisla and then gently downhill to retrieve the car from outside Carrefour, I drove back to find husband is still in bed nursing HO.

So looked like another day by the pool but no! Help was at hand as the cleaners arrived unexpectedly and so husband got turfed out so they can change the bed etc – ha ha!

We therefore set off late morning to Islamar with the plan being to have a bit of a drive beyond as it is really beautiful up there, then stopping off for lunch on the way back down.  Everywhere there are grape vines laden with fruit, and pomegranites, peaches, courgettes and nuts on trees too.  We pass the catacombs in the rock face about 1km past Islamar then reach the top, stop to take photos and have a meander around then make our way back to Islamar and Koy restaurant for lunch.  It was quiet and there was just one other couple eating.  Anyway OH decided to have manti to soak up the alcohol of the previous evening, followed by meatballs whilst I opted for fried cheese, and grilled trout.  All delicious but the manti could have been a main course – the portion was huge.  When we came to leave, the owner gave me a bunch of grapes – now this is the second time this has happened this week to me so I wonder if this is a Turkish custom or I look like someone who needs grapes?  (Usually I settle for the fermented variety).

In view of Monday nights’ excesses, we decided to eat in and get a chicken from the deli place near the greengrocer.  Very nice and I made stuffed peppers with rice, mushroom, onion and some of the seasoning that came with the chicken and glass of wine. 

OH says he is now not drinking again this holiday so he stuck with diet coke and can be designated driver for the future days  – frankly I don’t think this will last as we have friends arriving in Kalkan on Saturday and he has form when they all get together…but a few days respite anyway probably best for him.

Thinking of going to Meis this week – we’ve never done it so any ideas? Assume book a ticket on line in advance and show up at ticket office in Kas?  Or can you just show up and go?  Does the ferry run every day at this time of year?  I don’t even know where in the harbour it leaves from but I know where the ticket office is.

Anyway early night shortly reasonably sober (me) – totally sober Terry! Just watching the news after Labour conference and Trump/Clinton thing.

Alex
Post by: moorsalex on September 28, 2016, 08:01:56 PM
WEDNESDAY

Got up nice and early – what a beautiful morning – the sea was so still and the sun shining on it.  This is why we come back again and again for this view – Kalkan Beach Park was just waking up and over tea and coffee we watched the first boat arrive.

We decided to go to Kas today to find out about going to Meis and because I’ve bought some bedspreads/cushion covers there in a little shop just off the front and wanted to get some more.  Also a friend recommended a bag shop near by.  So we drove the coast road – I can honestly say it has never looked so beautiful.

We contemplated going into the marina – we’ve never bothered before and always have been put off by the barriers but I’m sure you can go in as there are restaurants and a Migros there.  Anyway we didn’t, and parked up on the harbour, bought Ferry tickets for Friday and did my shopping then stopped off for a snack at Palmiye café on the front.

Then a leisurely drive back for the last couple of hours sunshine at the villa.

We decided to go to Cosmopolitan this evening as we hadn’t been here before. (on the Kalamar Road).  What a little gem.  We went for their special offer for £13.00 each for a starter and main.  I had Mujver and Terry had Sausage Sandwich (I know – bit weird but basically burger meat with cheese), and we both had Spinach Chicken for Main.  Again huge portions and very tasty – couldn’t eat it all.  We had a bottle of wine, 1 beer, house made lemonade and water – all for £45.  Interestingly they price everything in GBP so I paid in GBP too.  Note the wine and beer – OH has already given up pledge to stay totally tee-total.  However no cocktail madness tonight and back home by 10ish.  Alex
Post by: itstime on September 28, 2016, 10:29:04 PM
Absolutely love Cosmopolitan,  food and cocktails to die for ☺️
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 28, 2016, 10:46:34 PM
Sounds like a good couple of days to me. We watched cosmopolitan evolving in April and were determined to try it in August but never quite made it which was a shame.

I resolved to also have manti as I saw it on the menu at the brothers and I've always wanted to try it but again, not quite made it. Hopefully hext year.  :)
Post by: keith on September 29, 2016, 06:42:14 PM
Another great read moorsalex......the thing that I really like about Kalkan is that it is continually evolving and every visit brings new surprises. Restaurants change hands but the culinary experience is nearly always exemplary.
Post by: moorsalex on September 29, 2016, 08:55:11 PM
THURSDAY

The weather today was wonderful – it is really hard to believe it is nearly end of September and temperature at around 30c.

Didn’t do too much today though still have not gone in the pool!  I had to sort out the Smart TV box that had been messed up – happens all the time and unfortunately our maintenance company did their best but made it worse – a complete reboot and re-install needed – anyway sorted now except for sports – have to call my son in law in Cyprus for assistance  – only full on ex-pats know the ins and outs I think of getting all these channels working abroad or alternatively bar owners in Kalkan (re the sports).  So probably Terry will be watching Liverpool on Saturday in a bar (what a hardship and more sociable too..).  I shall be hanging out with our friends who are due to arrive in the afternoon.

Tonight we went to Mariners to catch up with George and Co.  Great meal – they had chicken pate with the cheese and butter with the puffy bread – really good – George gave us an extra portion – to be honest we shouldn’t have ordered starters if we had known as it was really lovely and filling.  We had calamari to start and Terry had seafood crepe that was wonderful and I had steak porcini which was perfectly cooked.

Anyway, we made tracks back quite early as we are off to Meis tomorrow.

Have only got 50 euros cash so hopefully they’ll take lira there or there will be an ATM, or they’ll take plastic in the restaurants….

A.
Post by: moorsalex on September 30, 2016, 07:36:35 PM
Today was the trip to Meis – the Greek Island close to Kas – and it did not disappoint.

We had to start early and it was a beautiful early morning drive to Kas.

The procedure is to hand in your passports and wait about an hour before embarking – this was extended for about half an hour extra today and everyone was wondering if they were to blame – turned out that they didn’t have enough police to check docs etc – sounds like Gatwick… Also we had a request from the boss of the café we were waiting in who wanted us to get him raki so he can be ‘happy for many nights’. Didn’t realise how much tax on spirits in Turkey.

Anyway we arrived on Meis and what a lovely place!  Courtesy of Samson (I hope I got this right but another member of EK), we found out the process for immigration in and out of Greece and the best places to visit in Meis too.

On the basis of Samson’s recommendation we took a trip to the Blue Cave which I can recommend.  We went with Tony who sung all the way ( not sure he is x factor ready but) and apart from getting pretty soaked on the way back, that was great.

We then had lunch at Alexandra (my namesake) – one thing to know about Meis that I didn’t know – they have a much broader selection of fish than Kalkan  (which is normally Sea Bass or See Bream).  So Terry had red mullet and I had white Grouper ( this is now not fished in Turkey).   It was superb with hand cut chips and a salad to start.

Few drinks round the harbour and watched the huge Blue Line Ferry come in from Rhodes – it totally took over the harbour.  All the locals got quite excited at the arrival/departure of new visitors and friends and relatives. 

Then we were off back to Turkey – dropped off the Raki to very happy and potentially drunk restaurant man and home to Kisla.

Have to say pretty tired now – I blame the sea air/ mithos beer, too much to eat etc but no need to go out tonight.

A
Post by: samson on September 30, 2016, 07:59:28 PM
 :) Samson here! enjoyed your company. have had a night at home after all of the booze and food of today! look forward to your blogs . 

still think it was funny that we had a thought it may be you doing the latest blog when we met you  in kas today. and we were right !

Post by: kalkan4eva on September 30, 2016, 08:03:57 PM
Absolutely loving your reports, moorsalex. Just catching up with your Kalkan adventures...was that your first trip to Meis?
Looking forward to going to Cosmopolitan next year as we are spending a couple of days in Kalamar for a change.
I don't know Mariners restaurant...and I thought I knew them all. Sounds like you had a nice meal there, so always good to know about a new place.
It's a lovey time to visit Kalkan, we love late September, early October but we haven't been that late now for a good few years  :(
Look forward to hearing more about your stay
Post by: moorsalex on September 30, 2016, 08:16:22 PM
Hi all and many thanks to Samson for helping us out today.

Will be pretty quiet tomorrow - have pals arriving., OH already in bed.  Maybe I will have to call up Sampson for drinks as OH is sticking with good behaviour where as I don't really  care...
Post by: Bob & Jayne on October 01, 2016, 06:47:23 AM
Yes absolutely fab reports Moorsalex, thank you so much.  Your trip to Meis sounded fantastic, we loved it there in August, and will definitely return next year.  Look forward to reading your next reports with your Pals! Enjoy  :D :D
Post by: moorsalex on October 02, 2016, 07:14:35 AM
SATURDAY

Well, I don’t know if it was the sea air from yesterday, but we felt really quite tired Saturday morning so as we had nothing planned for the day, we decided to laze by the pool.  Note:  I still haven’t gone IN the pool.

I popped down to town for newspapers, and supplies, and dropped into Porcini on Kalamar Road to ask them to save a table for us for tonight.  I was going to phone but I’m glad I didn’t because the place was empty (this was lunchtime) and the young lad looking after things couldn’t understand me talking to him face to face let alone on the telephone! He had to go across the road to Can Can and got the owner and all was arranged.

Our friends arrived on the Thomas Cook flight from Gatwick.  They said it was absolutely full but they also had their flight times changed last minute so I suspect they pushed two planeloads of passengers into one.  They were desperate for a cigarette on arrival in Dalaman and dashed straight out of the airport without their luggage.  Oops!  So they had to find security to get them back in – I think they had to go to Departures, through the scanners and down all sorts of corridors to get back to arrivals hall.  Then having now been quite late for picking up his car hire, Dudley & Co rock up in Kalkan in a Mercedes AMG with all the bells and whistles no less, having booked a Toyota Corolla!  He got upgraded last time he came to Kalkan too – different company as well.

We met up at Porcini – it was really busy so I’m glad we booked.  We all ate traditional Turkish meals.  The bread here was really good – homemade olive bread with balsamic/oil for dipping.  I had courgette fritters and stuffed aubergine.  All washed down with lots of wine – we tried the Lykia wine from the vineyards near Elmali (having depleted their stock of Lal both at the restaurant and at Can Can!).  We had thought of visiting there – I think you can go and do tastings – will have to research that, but to be honest we’ve probably done all the tasting necessary, given the number of bottles consumed by 6 of us.  The owner gave us a lift home at 2.00 a.m….

End result –

•   Terry’s tee-totalness lasted precisely 48 hours.
•   He has the ‘worst hangover EVER’
•   And I have to go and get the car again…

Having a Turkish Bath later at Pirat (but not Terry – he says he’s going nowhere!)

Alex
Post by: keith on October 02, 2016, 06:33:21 PM
I have to admit that I made the same mistake at Dalaman airport a few years ago.......I thought that I could rush outside for a quick cigarette and then realised that I couldn't get back into the arrivals lounge. Thankfully Tracey and our two sons were still inside and managed to collect our luggage. Really enjoying your posts .......please keep them coming.
Post by: DRBD on October 02, 2016, 07:02:24 PM
That cafe owner must have more bottles of raki brought over from Meis than Yali have on their selves, he asks very one to bring him back a bottle.😈😈😈😈😈
Post by: moorsalex on October 02, 2016, 08:24:18 PM
Thats why he is always a VERY HAPPY cafe owner (or permanently p>>>d!).

A
Post by: moorsalex on October 02, 2016, 08:26:52 PM
SUNDAY

I wasn’t mad keen on walking all the way to Kalamar to pick up the car – again..  So starting hatching a cunning plan. I invited Dudley and Co from Kalamar to us in Kisla for lunch on the condition they drive me back to Kalamar to pick up the car.  Deal done.  Salad, tuna, advocado, eggs, bread, cheese, melon (basically the contents of the fridge), bread and crisps, washed down with nothing stronger than water due to widespread fragility from the night before. 

Then having been reunited with our trusty Darcia Duster (sadly not Dudley’s Merc AMG), we drove down to the harbour for Turkish Bath at the Pirat – minus Terry, as he has ‘the worst hangover – EVER’.

I won’t give you the ins and outs of a turkish bath as I’m sure this has been done before – but it’s always funny to see your friends being overheated, steamed, scraped, kneeded, soaked in hot/cold water, covered in bubbles, slid over marble etc and today did not disappoint.  And as always, despite the indignity, you feel great afterwards and super clean and knackered!  Well I was, having had about 5 hours sleep the night before.

So I left Duds and Co getting supplies, cash etc and planning a bbq, and restocked our fridge. Can’t find tonic in Migros, or Carrefour – any ideas folks? Also fizzy water and diet coke in short supply everywhere.  Decided on take away for tonight.  Foto Pizza… I love their pizzas – Terry was still feeling a bit iffy and wanted crispy chicken from Passaport Pizza – nothing else would do. I couldn’t justify delivery of two items from two different places, so picked up from each.  I can’t say I was blown away by the Passaport crispy chicken but Terry polished it off and the Akdeniz Pizza from FotoPizza was really good and shared by both of us.

So it’s Sunday night – going to watch a bit of UK TV (Poldark v Victoria..how to chose) then I’m thinking beach club for tomorrow.

Alex
Post by: pw on October 03, 2016, 06:25:47 AM
Plenty of tonic in little place next to Bezirgans Pub
Post by: Haybo on October 03, 2016, 07:20:18 AM
We found tonic in the little supermarket on the harbour by Aubergine.  Loving The reports....would love to visit at this time of year. 
Post by: joycie on October 03, 2016, 02:02:13 PM
Harbour is right that little supermarket did have tonic and quite a varied stock of other things. We used it quite often on our way to a taxi for bread tonic beers etc.
Post by: moorsalex on October 03, 2016, 10:37:29 PM
MONDAY

Woke up to a glorious morning.  Quite late for me – all that Turkish bathing yesterday did me in.  Our friends who came to Pirat for the TB were also in bed by 10pm! (absolutely nothing to do with the previous nights activities – they went back from the restaurant then had G&Ts and went swimming in their pool) so no wonder!

Anyway old geezers that we were – we were planning to go to a beach club today – we then had second thoughts and said we would go to Kas to the beach which is beyond the harbour – you drive pass the hotels and beach clubs then go uphill then downhill and you are there – a pebble beach with a couple of restaurants by it and it looks directly at Meis but I can’t recall the name.  We thought we would go there in the afternoon, then back into Kas, then stop at ADA fish restaurant just before Kaputas beach for dinner.  However this plan morphed into sloth out at the villa till 6, shower and just the two of us went to ADA and arrived at dusk.  The sky was dark red and the crescent moon red also.

We spotted the restaurant owner on the other side of the road as we arrived climbing down from the mountainside.  He explained that he had campers staying there who were English and wanted to camp on the pretty steep land opposite his restaurant.  He had just gone to see if they were ok and had taken video of them that he showed us.  I’m not sure if he thought they were bonkers or was impressed!  We assumed they were walking the Lycean Way but why camp on a steep mountainside when there has got to be flatter options?  Anyway we never met said campers so assume it was way too dark to venture down or back up and they had eaten earlier.

Those that have frequented Ada’s know the drill.   The two brothers are fishermen and you eat what they catch – with chips and salad.  The only unusual thing was this time there was no calamari – usually always this is offered first with catch of the day after.  No idea why calamari was off – but instead we had rock fish to start followed by sea bream.  Every time we come to Ada’s he has rock fish, and every time it is a completely different fish but whatever – it was all great as always.  155 TL including two glasses of wine and two beers plus water.

The stars in the sky when we left were amazing – I swear we could see the milky way too.  There is virtually no light pollution there apart from cars on the road.  We checked when we got back to Kisla and the sky was nothing like the same.

Will make it to Kekova and Kas tomorrow - and thanks to all for advise about where to find tonic - will check out tomorrow too!

Alex

Post by: Bob & Jayne on October 04, 2016, 10:39:42 AM
Loving your posts, just catching up after a few days, what a brilliant time you are having.  :D :D We love that little supermarket at the harbour, like an Aladin's cave in there, it never disappoints! Have never been to Ada, although we always think we should stop there.  Enjoy your trip to Kekova and Kas  :D :D :D
Post by: Babs on October 04, 2016, 04:19:41 PM
If you love fish then Ada is wonderful......just incredibly fresh fish cooked perfectly......may well have to pay a visit next week......did I mention that we are off to Kalkan on Saturday?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 04, 2016, 09:35:03 PM
Really loving your reports, moorsalex. Sounds like you are having a fab time. I love those days we make BIG plans then don't budge an inch from the pool...because you can. There's always another day. Haven't been to Ada for years...last time we went there was only this restaurant and the little van at Kaputas for food. The sunsets are spectacular at this time of year and it must have been gorgeous from here...not jealous at all :P
Looking forward to your next report...Yali have little bottles of slimline tonic in the fridge where all the wine and beer are if you are still looking.
Babs...your holiday is almost here AT LAST ;D ;D
Post by: moorsalex on October 04, 2016, 10:24:08 PM
TUESDAY

We decided to go to Kekova (well Simena really).  We decided to drive to Üçağız on the mainland to go to Kekova  - about 25km beyond Kas.  I haven’t taken a gulet from Kas but this could be a better way.  We have been to Üçağız before and taken a boat trip over the ruins and been given the chance to stop off in Simena which we didn’t do.  For those of you who haven’t been to Üçağız the general deal is that you hire a boat with captain for a time period – i.e 1.5 or 3 hours and they take you where you want.  It is a bit different from gulets from Kalkan or Kas where you are out all day and get a meal on board for a price per person or charter.  Our plan was just to have lunch in Simena and maybe a wander up to the castle if it wasn’t too hot (it was).  So we negotiated a price to take us there and back with suitable waiting time and had a great afternoon.  After eating at the restaurant of choice (entirely random selection) I have since found out that if I called said restaurant from Üçağız they will send a boat and lunch will just cost lunch with no transport costs included. Please PM me if you want to have more details.  We ate at Hassan Deniz restaurant (not to be confused with Hassan Roma Restaurant next door apparently..)  We had calamari I missed last night and mujver and lamb chops and chicken shish.

So we got back on dry land around 3 and headed off back to Kalkan.  We got stopped by a proper serious roadside check just before getting to Kas by the turnoff to Emalli .  Full military police with hardware.  They checked our passports and we were on our way – first time that has happened as every other time it was just Jandama and they waved us through without checks – at least we should be feeling safe that checks are being made but it was a reminder to always take passports with you on the roads at the moment – we were glad we did as I believe it can be a bit of a problem without ID.

Anyway back in Kisla again – lazy evening – not sure what tomorrow may bring – currently thinking brunch somewhere and beach club…

Did check out Yali and the tonic situ - no tonic at all - no slimline ever seen there - probably do me good to lay off the gin anyway - thought I was pretty moderate - 1 litre in 3 weeks… somehow sounds bad but not sure it really is?   Anyway Babs - you are here Saturday and can sort things out - we leave Monday...

Alex
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 05, 2016, 09:08:22 AM
No tonic at the Inn...what a calamity. Yali definitely had tiny bottles of slimline tonic in June - the only place that has ever sold them to my knowledge. It might be a bit late in the day, but I have the still lemonade with my gin - different to tonic but a really nice drink. They do a sugar free variety and you can get it in Migros, Kipa and sometimes Yali. It's a Turkish product so really cheap to buy and No... 1 litre of gin in three weeks is very temperate drinking considering you're on holiday :)
Enjoy the rest of your stay.
Post by: Chris_S on October 05, 2016, 10:31:02 AM
I keep scans of passports (as well as medical and optical prescriptions and the e-Visa) on the phone.

Never had a problem yet, but then I've never been stopped by the military.

Was once told the Military checkpoints were checking for deserters, but since DAESH this may be different.

Time will tell…
Post by: moorsalex on October 06, 2016, 06:47:00 AM
WEDNESDAY

We had planned to go to a beach club and lunch out, but we received some very sad news from the UK about a death in the family so we didn’t really feel like it, and thought a bit of reflection and quiet time by the pool was the order of the day. 

We did pop into town to pick up fruit and veg from the greengrocers and newspapers and popped into Marleys for a snack.  Hadn’t been there before and very pleasant with a good menu for breakfast/brunch /light lunch etc and reasonably priced.

Back to the pool (still haven’t gone in – it’s looking doubtful now) for the afternoon.   We had arranged to meet our friends in Botanik and then go to Wapiano for dinner.

Nam was in a bit of a bad way – he had an accident on his bike (drove into a wall he said) the night after we last went to see him (over 10 days ago) and he said he had been in hospital for a couple of days completely out of it, and was just back at work.  The light is very dim in Botanik and he certainly had made a mess of his face with cuts/bruises.  So get well soon Nam.  After a couple of cocktails each (I opted for mojitos this time) we headed over to Wapiano.

It was very quiet – I think we were their only table for the evening.  3 of us had liver to start  - I think this was the best liver I have had in Kalkan, and the others had octupus  and this was also declared the best ever.  5 of us ordered steaks – I opted for the marble steak, which was perfectly cooked (you do have to take it off the marble to avoid over cooking though) and definitely the best steak this holiday. Terry had the casserole in the clay pot where they chop the top off.  None of us could manage dessert.  Then up the hill to the taxi rank, having to restrain Terry from trying to go to Mojitos…..

The usual walk back into town to pick up the car this morning, and dropping by the market for some things to take back - mainly some 'designer' clothes for my 2 year old grandson I think.

Alex
Post by: moorsalex on October 06, 2016, 06:48:08 AM
WEDNESDAY

We had planned to go to a beach club and lunch out, but we received some very sad news from the UK about a death in the family so we didn’t really feel like it, and thought a bit of reflection and quiet time by the pool was the order of the day. 

We did pop into town to pick up fruit and veg from the greengrocers and newspapers and popped into Marleys for a snack.  Hadn’t been there before and very pleasant with a good menu for breakfast/brunch /light lunch etc and reasonably priced.

Back to the pool (still haven’t gone in – it’s looking doubtful now) for the afternoon.   We had arranged to meet our friends in Botanik and then go to Wapiano for dinner.

Nam was in a bit of a bad way – he had an accident on his bike (drove into a wall he said) the night after we last went to see him (over 10 days ago) and he said he had been in hospital for a couple of days completely out of it, and was just back at work.  The light is very dim in Botanik and he certainly had made a mess of his face with cuts/bruises.  So get well soon Nam.  After a couple of cocktails each (I opted for mojitos this time) we headed over to Wapiano.

It was very quiet – I think we were their only table for the evening.  3 of us had liver to start  - I think this was the best liver I have had in Kalkan, and the others had octupus  and this was also declared the best ever.  5 of us ordered steaks – I opted for the marble steak, which was perfectly cooked (you do have to take it off the marble to avoid over cooking though) and definitely the best steak this holiday. Terry had the casserole in the clay pot where they chop the top off.  None of us could manage dessert.  Then up the hill to the taxi rank, having to restrain Terry from trying to go to Mojitos…..

The usual walk back into town to pick up the car this morning, and dropping by the market for some things to take back - mainly some 'designer' clothes for my 2 year old grandson I think.

Alex
Post by: joycie on October 06, 2016, 08:54:24 AM
Sorry to hear of your bad news. It's awful to get this kind of news anytime but on holiday when you're so far away it's hopeless. Love to you and I hope things pan out alright.
I'd never been to Botanik before this year but we went twice this year because it was a nice easy stroll down to the old town from where we were. I must say it was different but there was only Dad Daisy me and Mor in there. I wondered what it would be like if the weather wasn't so good. Shame about the lack of people because the couple behind the bar were very personable and made us welcome.
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 06, 2016, 02:17:04 PM
So good, you said it twice ;D ;D
Glad to hear Nam is on the mend..he put a photo on Social Media which looked horrific and quickly took it down again. When we were there in June he told us he was really struggling this year - really hope this lovely bar is there next year as it offers something different. A few members were disappointed with their cocktails and we also felt as though they weren't as strong as last year and a bit more expensive...I suppose they need to make up for the loss of business somehow.
I'm so sorry about your sad news from UK, it must be awful to be so far away when something like this happens...
Post by: moorsalex on October 07, 2016, 07:54:37 AM
We were late out on Wednesday with our friends and left the car in town again as he who said he would NEVER drink again after the worst hangover EVER – did so AGAIN!  He is now vowing to stay off the sauce for the rest of our holiday (we go home Monday) – so we will see.  As we have been invited to our friend’s villa for dinner tonight and are going out with them again to the Kalkan Regency on Saturday, this will take stiff resolve from Terry, as the common factor in these slippages is Dudley & Co!!!

Anyway, as usual I went to retrieve the car, but got held up on the phone so set off around 11.00 rather than the usual 8.30 a.m.  There is  big difference in temperature and sun, and complete lack of shade for the whole walk.  Suffice to say, I was pretty hot when I reached the car  - also typically I was offered two lifts when I was within 100 yards of the car – unfortunately not when I could have used it at the bottom of the hill coming out of Kisla!

The town was busy by the market, and I debated whether to bother as I was having trouble parking, unless I went to the bottom of the hill or top, and then would have to face another hot walk uphill – so I decided not to bother – just how many fake converse and nike shoes can a two year old use?  Also there’s always sports direct opposite Mussaka which has a lot of the same things.  So I grapped a chicken and newspapers from the deli and returned to OH snoozing by the pool.

In the evening we went to Sopranos.  We ate there once before last year when it first opened and it was quite good.  Last night it was a bit average.  I had garlic prawns and there was no bread with it so couldn’t eat the garlic butter, and Terry had prawn cocktail that he said was good.  I had Soprano Special and Terry had seafood casserole.  The special was nice, tasty but nothing ‘special’.  Terry said the calamari in the casserole were chewy.  We weren’t offered coffee or liquer although we noticed the table behind us was being offered this ‘on the house’.  Also it was quite expensive at 253TL for two starters, two mains, 6 drinks (3 alcoholic and three soft) and bottle of water when I compare it with Wapiano the night before.  Maybe we got there on a bad night.

We weren’t late back – I tried to watch some TV but fell asleep so must have been the walk in the heat in the morning!

Alex
Post by: pw on October 08, 2016, 07:51:21 AM
Still plenty of tonic at the little place next door to Bezirgans pub.......
Post by: moorsalex on October 08, 2016, 11:16:15 AM
FRIDAY

Another beautiful day.  Our friends headed out for Saklikent and we decided to go to Palm Beach Beach Club.   This plan backfired as it is closed!  I’m not sure when it packed up for the season but must be pretty recently as I’m sure I saw their boat going to and fro just a few days gone by. 

Instead we decided to go back to Kisla and go to Bob’s for a light lunch.  We were the only people there but we had a great club sandwich and one of the best views in Kisla. 

We then had a lazy few hours by the pool and went over to Kalamar for dinner at our friend’s villa.  They put on a great spread, with a lovely salad, cous cous, and chicken and beef kebaps with homemade hydari and garlic bread, washed down with wine, and finished off with melon. 

It wasn’t a late one, as they are off to Kekova today and were  to be picked up before 9 this morning.

However this morning I have woken up to discover I have been bitten on my eye and look like I’ve done a round with Tyson Fury.  I’ve been to chemist and got anti histamine so hopefully things will start to improve soon and I will be able to see properly later. 

I was able to make out the Mouse Island swimmers do their stuff earlier.  Respect.  I’m not sure if one of them got cramp or something, but they seemed to stop for a while in the middle of the bay and then one of the boats accompanying them headed back to the harbour.  As I couldn’t see properly due to said insect bites (have decided there’s more than one), I don’t really know – maybe something else caused them to pause.

Off to Kalkan Regency tonight.

Alex
Post by: Lizilu20 on October 08, 2016, 12:06:36 PM
Looking forward to reading about it Alex. Those swimmers are made of strong stuff and I hold my hat to them. It can be so choppy around mouse and snake that every time we are there in a boat we remark upon how brave they are, and all for charity.
Hope your eye improves soon.  :)
Post by: pw on October 09, 2016, 10:37:02 AM
The swimmers stop to wait for the slower ones so they all finish at the same time
Post by: moorsalex on October 09, 2016, 05:51:49 PM
In the evening we went to Kalkan Regency for a meal with our friends.  We decided to go there for the spectacular view of the bay particularly at night.  It is pretty hard to match and did not disappoint.

The food was excellent and huge portions – I’ve eaten there before several times and can’t remember having so much food on my plate – we all struggled to complete our main courses and no one could manage dessert.  We did have birthday cake donated by the hotel as it was Christian’s birthday.  As usual OH’s steely resolve to NEVER drink again went by the wayside and we got a taxi back after nightcaps in the bar.  (Metaxa, Raki..) Suffice to say he feels like S**T today and you know the rest..

This morning rather than walk to get the car, I called a taxi – it’s one thing walking to town, but another walking half the way to Kalamar as well! 

We all had breakfast at Yelkin this morning – the English Breakfast there is really good and reasonably priced.  Suitably fuelled, Georgina and I headed out to Kas to the leather shop and textile shop there where Georgina had spotted some Hermes wallets the other day and I’d got some requests from home for more throws from the textile shop.  We hadn’t seen the same ones in the shops in Kalkan.  So negotiations were completed and I also purchased one, along with a beautiful navy soft leather tote bag. 

As it is our last day, we decided to get the last few rays for the rest of the afternoon by the pool.  We haven’t decided where to eat tonight – our friends are heading to Olive Garden via Misty May leather shop for more purchases – we may go and see Adam one more time then get back and do some packing – our flight is not till nearly 10.00 p.m. tomorrow so no rush in the morning.

Can’t believe how fast three weeks have passed – seems no time at all since we got here - looking forward to coming back in May next year.  And now Babs it’s over to you and looking forward to reading your reports.

Alex

Post by: kalkan4eva on October 10, 2016, 12:28:40 AM
Thanks for posting, moorsalex. Really enjoyed your blog and yes three weeks do seem to pass in a flash...although when you are waiting to go away, three weeks feels like three months.If only time would go that slow when we are in Kalkan eh?
Safe journey home and looking forward to a new holiday report in May.
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 10, 2016, 05:44:29 AM
moorsalex........I have a sneaking admiration for your OH and indeed an affinity.I am also a very sociable person with the resolve of a moth..i give up booze at least 5 or 6 times during hols but fall down(not literally)as soon as I reach a bar ::) :P......safe journey
Post by: Bob & Jayne on October 10, 2016, 10:39:10 AM
Thank you so much for your briliant posts moorsalex, have thoroughly enjoyed sharing your holiday! Have a safe journey home and enjoy the last of the sunshine in paradise. 

J&B
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal