Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: Welovekalkan on July 25, 2016, 08:16:27 AM

Title: Where are we going to eat tonight?
Post by: Welovekalkan on July 25, 2016, 08:16:27 AM
This is normally the question we get asked by the kids at around 4pm in Kalkan. By 5pm we've got out the nibbles and the G&T's and decide what we fancy. So here's our choices for our fortnight in Paradise....

DAY ONE

Sade - booked up from in the UK and pleased to see they've extended the roof terrace this year providing about 12 more covers and a waiting area. Food was top notch where we had a couple of mixed grills, a stuffed seabass and a chicken dish, a few Effes, ice tea, G&T and the usual nibbles they treat you too. Service was exceptional, views obviously perfect and would thoroughly recommend.

Food 9.5
Service 9.5
Ambience 9.5
VFM 8 - 320 TL for 4
Title: Re: Where are we going to eat tonight?
Post by: Welovekalkan on July 25, 2016, 08:28:34 AM
Day Two

Seaport - no booking, just turned up. This is their first season back down in the front and personally I don't think the new buildings look all that - could've done better. Anyway, got a table for 4 upstairs overlooking the harbour. The restaurant wasn't very busy and there wasn't much to see in the harbour as it was very quiet even though it was 9.30 when we got there. Lots of waiters dashing around and not a lot of light up there to read the menu. Peppered steak was perfectly cooked, meatballs was more like a Kofte, chicken fajitas and lamb chops. All washed down with a couple of beers, iced tea and a bottle of red. A complimentary massive flatbread with saucy sides was served up before which was very nice.

The meal as a whole was okay, nothing special and we wouldn't return. Sadly, a whiff of the sewers ventured its way over now and again. There just seemed to be something lacking.

Food 7.5
Service 9
Ambience 5
VFM 6.5 - 350TL

Nothing booked for tonight yet, may just take a wonder. The guys outside restaurants trying to get people in are becoming far too pushy now, hands all over you and standing in the way especially the place opposite The Fountain Bar. The Bloke that was there last year with the sign has now moved down to the harbour area and is just as bad.
Post by: msr on July 25, 2016, 11:14:55 AM
I am afraid I have to agree with you regarding the harbour units. I think it has destroyed the ambience that used to be there. It all feels rather soulless and lacking in atmosphere.
Such a shame as this part of the harbour was a real favourite of ours.
Post by: samson on July 25, 2016, 11:25:51 AM
umm! kofte are meatballs ! :)
Post by: Welovekalkan on July 25, 2016, 12:14:55 PM
umm! kofte are meatballs ! :)

Totally aware of that Samson - it was just that my daughter was expecting meatballs in a tomato type sauce.
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 25, 2016, 01:02:39 PM
I'm avidly following this thread welovekalkan.

Thanks for the feedback. It's so good to know the "word on the street" re current prices.

I love that drink and decision re where to eat as the sun slips down low in the sky, trouble is, it tastes so good and goes down so well that it's an effort to drag ourselves off to get ready and out. I think it's my favourite time of day. I can feel the relaxation seeping into my muscles as I sit here dreaming of happy times to come...
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 25, 2016, 05:52:16 PM
Fab report WeloveKalkan, and we are doing just the same, just made a cocktail, and then going to go to town and see how the fancy takes us! Glad your having a fab holiday and look forward to more reports  :D
Post by: Mrs M! on July 25, 2016, 08:49:02 PM
I love these sort of reports :)

We're back in September after a 2 year 'hiatus' and having been there a few times know the places worth visiting and Sade is MOST certainly one.  Personally I've never been a massive fan of the Harbourside Restaurants either.

Looking forward to reading more.  Will you be going to Korsan Fish Terrace?  Love it!
Post by: Babs on July 25, 2016, 09:58:15 PM
Mrs M.....a woman after my own heart!  :laugh:
Thanks for sharing welovekallan!
Post by: Kalkan regular on July 25, 2016, 10:32:10 PM
It's so funny, the regular conversation round the pool in our development is 'how was the food last night?' and 'where are you planning to eat tonight'. You learn so much from other's experience.
Post by: Welovekalkan on July 25, 2016, 11:29:57 PM
Day Three

Doy Doy - now we knew we were on to a winner here as we went twice last year.....let me tell you - this place has got better!!

Arrived around 10pm and waited a few minutes to get a table on the edge with a view. Then the manager saw us and what we then got was a night of laughs and wonderful food. He remembered us from last year and when I told him 'yeah right' he then told me some stuff I told him last year....fair play.

So on the menu tonight we had last years favourite.....seafood platter - it was gorgeous! Big juicy prawns, calamari, seabass and swordfish with fresh veg, potatoes and rice. We also had a lovely chicken dish and one of the best fillet steaks ever, cooked to perfection with a gorgeous sauce. A few beers, some water and the iced tea washed it all down. For those who know it you'll probably know the manager is a bit of a character. Loves a laugh and a proper pi55 taker, he gives as good as he gets. Then when you think you've got the better of him he gets out the cards and does some magic - he is very good.

At he end of the evening he pulled up a chair and bought us some drinks and we sat for ages having a laugh. I'd be surprised if we beat this meal during our stay!

Food 9.5
Service 9.5
Ambience 8 but this is a reflection on how quiet Kalkan is
VFM 9 280TL (no wine)

Some notes to add for the day. Whilst chilling at the villa earlier we heard a voice shouting 'hello, hello?' Out the front. Eventually a guy from Soprano's restaurant came to the rear and dished out fliers offering free drinks, Meze and a 10% discont. How sad that they've had to resort to this to try and make a living. Anyway, he took a seat and I gave him some water as it was so hot.

Went to Moonlight for pre dinner drinks instead of The Fountain. Great laugh and a good atmosphere around 9pm and prices at about 2 thirds of Fountain. Also, Missilver (Ozzy - fake watches) will close the branch near Moonlght at the end of the season and move in with his brothers shop down near the Blue Marlin. A massive drop in visitors means he cannot justify 2 shops.

So there you go, for those who haven't been I can thoroughly recommend Doy Doy and for those who've been before, take heart in that I think it's got even better.

Night night.
Post by: Haybo on July 26, 2016, 06:10:41 AM
Excellent reports! Just wondering....can we have a say where you go tonight so that we can get a report?

#justaskin
Post by: Babs on July 26, 2016, 07:12:48 AM
Great way to do posts.
That seafood platter sounds amazing and would drag me there if only we hadn't had a so so experience the only time we've visited.........still I'm always up for a change!  :laugh:
Post by: Blue Lizard on July 26, 2016, 09:44:49 AM
Enjoying your reports....If you haven't had Flyers you have been lucky!!..they have been giving them out around villas for a few years now..(I think there was a thread a couple of years ago) I find it annoying and intrusive especially as they don't just leave it and go! it has the opposite effect to the one intended with me  >:(
Post by: Welovekalkan on July 26, 2016, 11:37:15 AM
Excellent reports! Just wondering....can we have a say where you go tonight so that we can get a report?

#justaskin

Great idea Haybo, not for tonight or tomorrow night as all booked up. One condition though - not Aubergine as not a fan. I await your request.

#foodiefortnight
Post by: tortoise lady on July 26, 2016, 12:17:50 PM
Enjoying this as eating and drinking is close to my heart.   Good to know Doy Doy is still delivering.   I love the view and have found the food and service good.

I do agree with our blue friend though.   I can understand flyers from restaurants, particularly in difficult times, but put it through the door and leave.   I really don't want to have a sales pitch if I am relaxing by the pool.   Neither do I want to entertain strangers whilst in my bathing costume.   Even if I was sitting in a shady area by the gate, fully clothed, I would still wish them just to hand me the leaflet possibly with a cheery "be good to see you at ......." and then leave.

Post by: Haybo on July 26, 2016, 03:23:53 PM
Ah, the dilemna! I know, last year, we were overlooking the roof terrace just below Goz opticians....it might be called La Terrazza.... If yiu fancy it, a review from there wiukd be welcomed!
Post by: Welovekalkan on July 26, 2016, 04:24:02 PM
Ah, the dilemna! I know, last year, we were overlooking the roof terrace just below Goz opticians....it might be called La Terrazza.... If yiu fancy it, a review from there wiukd be welcomed!

Challenge accepted, will probably go Thursday night.
Post by: Welovekalkan on July 26, 2016, 09:37:39 PM
Day Four

Gironda - WOW! Booked this up a couple of days ago as we heard it was sometimes hard to get a table. Arrived at 8pm and we were the only ones there except for a couple of lady musicians setting up their PA system and tuning their violins. I had that awful feeling that we'd be serenaded by them all night as there was nobody else there!

People arrived soon after us and by 9pm there wasn't an empty table on the roof terrace - first time I've seen that this year and I'm delighted for the team.

'Homemade' bread rolls and dips to start the meal and a cheeky bottle of wine, couple of beers and not forgetting the iced tea. The food here is top notch, seriously good. I had the Ottoman Lamb which came with rice, for those who don't know it's almost like a lamb tagine with dried apricots and walnuts - it's not normally my thing but on the recommendation of the waiter I went for it and it was absolutely gorgeous. We also had seabass with a creamy sauce cooked to perfection, a beer and lamb Kofte with flatbread and other bits and bobs plus a chicken fajita served on the table in a sizzling skillet. All were beautiful and the Kofte was described as the best ever !!

We had desserts tonight, namely baclava and chocolate cheesecake all of whic was mmmmmmmm.

We thought Sade would be hard to beat, then we went to Doy Doy - Gironda is up there with the best in our opinion. As youre that bit higher up, the views are that bit better, it was nice to see some busy rooftops from up there but down by Aubergine at about 10.30pm there were 2 large restaurants with not one single person in there. Again, as a family we are getting more and more naffed off with the over pushy salesmen and now feel that the good restaurants don't employ this tactic. I guess the food and reputation speak for themselves.

So the scores on the doors for Gironda.....

Food 9.5
Service 8.5
Ambience 9.5 (busy, live music)
VFM 9 310TL including a bottle of wine

Thoroughly recommended and we will be going back this holiday.
Post by: Kalkan regular on July 26, 2016, 09:45:32 PM
One of our favourites and Jan who runs the dinning area is very funny.
Post by: Welovekalkan on July 28, 2016, 08:30:05 AM
Day Five

DoyDoy - again!! For the first time in our trips to Kalkan we went back to the same restaurant twice. Sadly, it wasn't very busy whic meant we got a table overlooking the harbour. We primarily came back as one of our party had the DoyDoy steak the last time and hadn't stop talking about it. So our order was placed for 3 doydoys and a chicken dish. Some little nibbles arrived with nice bread, dips, olives etc.

I'm a bit of a steak snob, at home I try and buy the best cuts at nice butchers and spend quite a bit extra for the quality. But I have never seen fillet steaks like these, they were huge and cooked to absolute perfection. The accompaniments were also very nice as was the peppercorn sauce on the side - however, my steak didn't go near the sauce as I didn't want to ruin the taste.

If there's a better steak in Kalkan I need to know about it. The chicken dish was also very nice, in a white wine garlic sauce with rice and potato. The atmosphere picked up when a couple had a celebration and the waiters went to town with music and sparklers.

With 8 more meals to go I don't think this one will be beaten, happy to be proved wrong though. So the scores on the doors....

Food 10
Service 10 (very attentitive but not in your face)
Ambience 9 (shame it wasn't busier but this is the world we currently live in)
VFM 9.5 320TL

Thanks DoyDoy - a superb meal. Tonight maybe Akin or my La Terazza challenge.
Post by: Lucy Lou on July 28, 2016, 09:50:16 AM
Am I right in thinking Doy Doy was one of the recommended homemade chips establishments ?
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 28, 2016, 10:05:35 AM
Not sure about the homemade chips Lucy Lou. I can't recall doy doy being renowned for chips but I can echo the comments re the steak. I need to go back for a 'Summer steak' this august. Hope it's still on the menu.

The steaks at marina restaurant,  mussakka and alternative also take some beating!

Two weeks today!!!!!  :o :)
Post by: Chris_S on July 28, 2016, 10:45:38 AM
Strange thing about steaks in Kalkan:

They come cooked the way you asked for it.

In the UK, it seems they only do "Well-done".  I must have sent back a couple of herds of beef cattle back over the years, so I don't even bother ordering steak in the UK anymore.

Kalkan, however, is another story…
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 28, 2016, 11:38:55 AM
Absolutely loving these reports, Welovekalkan....its also true for us that our holiday revolves around food - our meals and other peoples. Aren't we a funny lot?
I'm also a steak snob and think Kalkan does steaks really well. Our favourite fillet steaks this year were at Alternatif last month - just above Utopia - new spot for them this year. We also had a fantastic Chateaubriand at Golden Plate (now Samdam) on the front - new restaurant and lovely staff. I also love Mussakka's steaks...consistently good.
If you had the chance to try one of those places during your stay I'd be interested to hear your views.
This is like AA Gill being in Kalkan - love it!
Post by: henty0 on July 28, 2016, 03:44:53 PM
We are at Doy Doy the other night, it was lovely! And the girls came out with bracelets. Going to try soprano tonight as the owner was the lovely man from Bahart. Has anyone been? X
Post by: Christina on July 28, 2016, 03:49:24 PM
Re your 'challenge' tonight - I have eaten at both those places in the past week. The corner table at Akin overlooking the marina has my favourite view of Kalkan, and the waiters there could not be friendlier. At least 3 times this year I have ordered the swordfish in a cream, mushroom and spinach sauce on a bed of mash, served with fresh vegetables. At La Terrazza (or Zeki's) - I normally eat at one of the cute little tables on the street opposite Cafe del Mar. I can recommend the chicken stuffed with figs in a white wine/cream sauce with carrots and leeks, served on a potato rosti, with more fresh veg. Also the chocolate fondant there is delicious. Both these places are mid-range rather then high end eateries but offer excellent value for money.

Just referring back to the new Seaport, my experiences there have been really positive (the over-enthusiastic greeter has now moved on). Food has been good and portion sizes are generous (my girlfriend and I failed to finish a shared portion of sizzling chicken fajitas). The chunky hand cut chips deserve a special mention, as do the beer and wine prices at 10TL and 12TL respectively. Deniz has worked so hard to get back on his feet and arguably has the best location of all the new units. I agree that this area in general would benefit from more 'atmosphere' but it is early days yet, and there is still much building work to complete in the area. I understand that permission is being sought to place some tables and chairs by the water's edge across the road, which diners seemed to enjoy in years gone by.

Finally my favourite steak was at Sade (filet with peppercorn sauce) which will go down as one of my top 10 best meals of all time.

Bon apetit for this evening.

Post by: Charlie on July 28, 2016, 04:08:40 PM
I would agree a Sade steak is most definitely hard to beat :)
Post by: Babs on July 28, 2016, 04:28:46 PM
OH is a serious Sade steak fan......I don't do red meat but their sea bass is gorgeous too!
Post by: Oxfordblue on July 28, 2016, 06:42:03 PM
Day Five

DoyDoy - again!! For the first time in our trips to Kalkan we went back to the same restaurant twice.

.. Thank you for these great reviews! We arrive Kalkan as total Kalkan (and even Turkey!) virgins Monday so this is is great live info and we will be following your recommendations.

Do you usually book same-day for your restaurants or is it necessary to book further ahead?
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 28, 2016, 06:49:13 PM
Oxfordblue, at this time of year I would normally say book a few days in advance, but Kalkan seems quiet so you could probably book on the day. However, if you want a nice table overlooking the wonderful views it might be advisable to pop into your chosen restaurant a day or two before and book - pointing out the table you want :)
Post by: keith on July 28, 2016, 08:50:15 PM
Oxfordblue.......there are so many good places to eat that you will be spoilt for choice. I'm totally convinced that you will be smitten by the Kalkan bug and will inevitably start planning a return visit within days of getting back home. Have a great holiday....I'm not at all envious!!
Post by: Welovekalkan on July 28, 2016, 09:35:31 PM
Day Six

Akin - to kickstart the evening we had a couple of drinks in Moolight, sipping away and people watching. Not to mention the dogs getting a little bit saucy!!

We'd decided in Akin as we went twice last year and the food was very good and the VFM is in a different league. Plus the owner/manager/bracelet giver outer is such a lovely chap we feel obliged to give him some custom. A short stroll down from Moonlight and you're virtually sat on their lovely terrace, sad,y there was only one other table occupied.

Service is second to none, again very attentitive but not in your face. A G&T, couple of large beers and not forgetting the iced tea whilst we mulled over the menu. Prices are notably cheaper but please don't think the food reflects such a low cost. We ordered 3 Akin specials (meatballs with a delicious cheese sauce and fresh vegetables) and a mixed grill. A nice gesture of hot flatbreads, dips and olives were brought to the table whilst our meal was being cooked. The meatball special was lovely, nicely spiced and very tender with the veg cooked very well - probably in butter (naughty but nice). The mixed grill was very nice - lamb chop, lamb Kofte, chicken and beef with a big green pepper and other vegetables. I have a big appetite but it took some eating and was extremely tasty.

2 deserts were ordered - a chocolate brownie which was said to be beautiful and a baclava which whilst not as good as Blue Marlins came a close second.

Complimentary coffees and soft drinks were offered and we had a laugh with the manager and his team. 8 others dined there I. The couple of hours we were there - very sad.

The bill was a bit embarrassing - all that food for 4 people for just 198TL So, the scores on the doors....

Food 8
Service 9
Ambience 7 (sorry, can't blame them - it's just the way it is at present)
VFM 10 - none of the frills and spills of Sade,DoyDoy,Gironda but 60% of the cost.

If you go, ask for Roy Hodgsons table....seemingly he's a regular and its in a nice spot on the edge.
Post by: Welovekalkan on July 28, 2016, 09:43:12 PM
Day Five

DoyDoy - again!! For the first time in our trips to Kalkan we went back to the same restaurant twice.

.. Thank you for these great reviews! We arrive Kalkan as total Kalkan (and even Turkey!) virgins Monday so this is is great live info and we will be following your recommendations.

Do you usually book same-day for your restaurants or is it necessary to book further ahead?

Hi - i would recommend you call in the evening before and show them where you'd like to sit. Whilst it's all about the food a stunning view can really compliment your meal rather than looking at other people eating. This is especially the case for Sade, Gironda and DoyDoy....if you go there ask for Euphratas and tell him Fletcher recommended it - you will get looked after. Don't hesitate on ordering the steak there either. How weird we might be sitting at the next table none the wiser. Have a safe flight!
Post by: Haybo on July 29, 2016, 05:16:48 PM
Another fab set of reports! We ate there last year and really liked it so it is already on our list.  We are supposed to be eating in alot as this is an unplanned trip! Already we know we HAVE to go to Ata Okabasi, Alternatif , Hunkar  samdam and Akin.....dont think the eating in plan will happen!
Post by: tortoise lady on July 29, 2016, 05:42:55 PM
Haybo - like you my restaurant list is starting to get rather longer than the eat at home one.  I plan to eat at least half the lunches and half the dinners at home but all these reports coming in mean I am adding more possible eating out places to the list.   

Adem's has to be included for at least one lunch and Moonlight terrace (if I can manage the stairs) and really want to go to Doy Doy, Akin, Kosk, Alternatif.   Oh so many.   Not to mention Kaya which we only really discovered about two years ago and were tempted in by the goat casserole on the menu.   It was delicious.   Hope they still do it, especially as Kaya is accessible by taxi.   No one has mentioned Oasis.   We have had a lovely meal right up at the top of the hotel with a fantastic view.   Not packed as it is rather hidden away and I guess guests tend to go out into town.   Probably not the place if you want a buzzy atmosphere but great if you want a quiet relaxing meal with a wonderful view and any breezes going will reach there.   It is high up but there is a lift!
Post by: Blue Lizard on July 29, 2016, 05:53:39 PM
Tortoise lady...Kaya were still doing Goat casserole in mid/end june this year :-*
Post by: samson on July 29, 2016, 07:01:15 PM
Kaya was still doing goat this week or if not on the menu you can pre order
Post by: Cajaran on July 29, 2016, 07:40:09 PM
Oxfordblue, at this time of year I would normally say book a few days in advance, but Kalkan seems quiet so you could probably book on the day. However, if you want a nice table overlooking the wonderful views it might be advisable to pop into your chosen restaurant a day or two before and book - pointing out the table you want :)

Even if you book ahead for a preferred table you can turn up and someone else is sat there - as has happened to us on more than one occasion. Very annoying when a specific table has been booked well in advance and especially as it is so quiet here at the moment!!! So say - but doesn't seem that quiet to be honest.

I'm afraid that when that happens we walk away and take our business elsewhere.

Post by: Kalkan regular on July 29, 2016, 07:57:52 PM
Tortoise lady if you can manage the steps up to Alternative you probably can access anywhere in Kalkan!
Post by: Welovekalkan on July 29, 2016, 10:55:07 PM
Just returned from a wonderful night out and happy to say I'm too tipsy/lashed/merry to write a review.....catch up tomorrow with a headache!!
Post by: Welovekalkan on July 30, 2016, 10:54:31 PM
Day Eight

The Olive Garden - oh my word!!

We thought we'd experienced the best that Kalkan can offer and didn't expect this. We have never been here before and don't really take much notice of Trip Advisor. We were hassled going past Kosk to the point we will never go there out of principal and took a gamble on the Olive Tree.

we were shown to the top terrace with stunning views but sadly nobody else there at about 8pm. Staff were lovely, water and beer arrived rapidly plus the usual iced tea. A nice menu, not extensive but plenty to choose from and a large vegetarian section for those that way inclined. By the time we'd ordered a couple of tables were occupied which was encouraging.

The waiter then brought us the complimentary starter - and this was a starter like no other! A basket of warm fresh olive bread, 10 different dips including an amazing green olive dip, olives, feta cheese and little vegetable parcels. The waiter saw me pass the last piece of bread to my better half and within a minute there was another basket on the table! I strongly advise you go easy on this as it could ruin your appetite for mains.

I had a traditional lamb casserole with rice. It was slightly spiced with a touch of cinnamon and the lamb pieces melted in my mouth - all in a rich gravy. Stuffed seabass with spinach was also ordered and also cooked to perfection as was the lamb kebabs which was a big serving. My little 'un was delighted to see lasagne on the menu and it was served still in the bowl and was sizzling. She loved it, possibly her favourite meal of the week so far - I had a cheeky taste and it was delicious....tons of cheese!

The kids ordered dessert but the waiter brought out 4 plates, I told him it was just the kids that were eating pudding and he said 'no no no - complimentary puddings'! The kids puds arrived - the chocolate torte was gorgeous, lovely taste to it and a gorgeous strawberry sauce in the side plus ice cream. The other was baclava and has gone straight to the number one spot for us this year! The waiter then brought out the complimentary puds and WOW! Lemon drizzle cake like no other, I can nay describe it that when you bite in to it it's as if someone wee'd in your mouth!! It explodes lemony goo and is beautiful. Also there were profiterole type things with chocolate sauce to pour over but no cream filling - very nice. And also there was THE most fattening tasting delicious ice cream any of us have ever tasted mmmmmmmmm.

By 9pm the place was buzzing with every table taken - fantastic to see and a real testament to the quality of food and generosity of the restaurant....it's now become a firm favourite of ours. So, the scores on the doors:

Food 9.5
Service 10
Ambience 9
VFM 9 320TL with 5 beers and iced tea

BTW - a little shout out for the loos here - very clean.
Post by: keith on July 31, 2016, 05:10:53 PM
This is one of our regular restaurants when visiting Kalkan. I don't remember ever being disappointed and always had an enjoyable evening. It's good to see that it is getting recognised by some new clients.
Post by: tortoise lady on July 31, 2016, 05:57:24 PM
Oh dear, looks like I have to add another restaurant to my list.   For some reason we have never tried Olive Tree but you make it sound really tempting.
Post by: Haybo on July 31, 2016, 07:04:18 PM
Ate there for the first time in early July...my friends first proper Kalkan meal...can you imagine! Knowing what the rest if the week was going to be like! Her view was that she couldn't see how the made any money from us!

The mezze was awesome..... And who doesnt rate a complimentary dessert! May go again in a couple of weeks x
Post by: Mayday1 on July 31, 2016, 10:33:39 PM
Is the olive tree actually the Olive Garden restaurant ?
Post by: Welovekalkan on July 31, 2016, 10:42:02 PM
Is the olive tree actually the Olive Garden restaurant ?

Apologies Mayday1, you are quite right it should've read the Olive Garden.....and it now does. Let's blame it on the Effes lol
Post by: Welovekalkan on July 31, 2016, 10:44:27 PM
Oh dear, looks like I have to add another restaurant to my list.   For some reason we have never tried Olive Tree but you make it sound really tempting.

Hi Tortoise Lady, for us the Olive Garden is as good as it gets - I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Post by: Mayday1 on August 01, 2016, 07:18:29 AM
Thanks welovekalkan,

Efes is responsible for a lot of things........mainly very pleasant things.The Olive Garden sounds really good food,service.....and value for money...A definite visit for our next trip over.
..................................................................................................

o direct    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8154298
Post by: Welovekalkan on August 01, 2016, 02:38:10 PM
Day Nine

Teras - we went here as most evenings we see the same guy in long trousers, leather shoes and a long sleeve shirt trying his hardest to get people to eat in the restaurant. We see him whilst having pre dinner drinks at Moonlight every night and the look of delight on his face when I told him we were going in to eat there was a nice sight.

So up the stairs we went and was delighted to see all the old faces from Sofra last year especially the white haired manager/owner from Fantasy Island (for those old enough to remember). Usual story at 8pm the place was very quiet but by 8.45pm there was only one table for 2 empty - lovely to see!

Meze was okay, not up there with some of the others but still nice - garlic bread with a couple of dips. For mains we had a seafood platter (60TL) which was lovely and very filling. A couple of huge king prawns in shells, some shrimps, sea bass, grouper and sword fish accompanied with rice and fresh veg soaked in butter. We also had king prawn and sea bass skewers (60TL) which was lovely. The obligatory lamb kebab was had but this time it was with a tomato sauce on top and with flat bread beneath - not a filling meal for a growing lad so fries were ordered and arrived freshly cooked very quickly. These came in a treat when mopping up the lively sauce. We also had chicken breast in a garlic and cream sauce which tasted nice although in my opinion needed something else as it was a bit bland for me.

3 desserts - baclava (obviously) which was nice and is rated at number 4 out of 9 so far this holiday. A chocolate cake which was very rich and loads of it, it came with a nice vanilla ice cream. And a fig dessert, I can't stand them so didn't try them but I was told they were 'quite nice' as they were dried figs rather than fresh, they had a sticky goo over them.

There was a good atmosphere there, good service and reasonable pricing at 300TL including a couple of Effes, iced tea, bottle of white, 4 mains, 3 puds and complimentary Meze and liquors - under 20 quid a head. I was in '5 Guys' (not literally) for a burger and fries in Leicester Square a coup,e of weeks ago and it was £11.50 without a drink!!!

Scores on the doors......

Food 8
Service 9
Ambience 9
VFM 9

Loos - very clean and tidy.

Would we go back? Not this holiday as we only have 4 meals left and we've had better. But next year for sure yes.
Post by: Welovekalkan on August 02, 2016, 05:03:14 PM
Day Ten

Baharat

We were tempted in here eventually by the very nice greeter outside, never been before. It was 8pm and the terrace was almost full, no real direct harbour views like some others but views in to other restaurants and beyond which was a change.

The free starters were nice, but quite filling consisting of what looked like big muffins and some dips which were tasty, beautifully accompanied by Effes.

The main courses consisted of a mixed grill - now this was a serious plate of food not for the light hearted or small appetited !! All the meats were cooked well. There were 2 dishes of grouper which although not filling were tasty. Plus there was a chicken katsu curry dish which my little un said was nice but not quite as nice as Wagamamasback home.....oh dear!!

The puds today were baclava which have taken the number one spot in Kalkan - 17TL for 2 with some ice cream though so a bit pricier.

After we'd ordered we saw a coup,e get served a chateaubriand which was finished at their table and it looked amazing. If we didn't only have a couple of nights left we'd be back there to sample but as it is it will have to wait till next year.

So, a nice meal...not the best but still very good and well worthy of a visit.

Food 8
Service 9
Ambience 9
VFM 8.5

Post by: keith on August 02, 2016, 07:12:37 PM
This is another one of our favourite restaurants and I think that your post sums it up nicely. We would recommend this to anyone that hasn't yet ventured inside.
Post by: Welovekalkan on August 03, 2016, 09:58:25 PM
Day Eleven

Olive Garden - again

Not much to add here really to the visit earlier in the week. Impeccable food, fantastic hosting skills and a lovely atmosphere in a busy restaurant.

This time I had the fish casserole which although a bit saltier than I'd normally have was gorgeous, it came with rice and vegetables. We also had a fillet steak cooked perfectly, plus the special which was lightly spiced lamb on a bed of puréed aubergine which they serve on a Wednesday - thoroughly recommended and if you're there on a Wednesday and a little unsure they will bring you a sample plate of it to try.

Baclava for pud plus their usual selection of freebies which although unnecessary were extremely tasty. Oh yes, forgot to mention the complimentary starter - the best we've had in Kalkan. Almond shots accompanied the bill. A must visit restaurant.

Food 9
Service 9.5
Ambience 9
VFM 9 310TL incl 4 Effes plus soft drinks

Another shout out for the loos plus a gentleman outside to give your hands a little squirt.....of hand wash!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal