Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Money & Finance => Topic started by: Oxfordblue on June 07, 2016, 12:19:30 AM

Title: Lira or Sterling?
Post by: Oxfordblue on June 07, 2016, 12:19:30 AM
Hi... Looking forward to our first ever visit to Turkey and Kalkan in August. 

Should we bring our holiday cash in Lira or Sterling? I know our villa owner has asked for payment in Sterling, just wondering if I am better off changing my money when I get there (I normally use my Halifax clarity card which gives me a good rate and no fees to get cash from ATMs)...

Also - how widely are credit cards (MasterCard and Amex) accepted?

All advice gratefully received.
Title: Re: Lira or Sterling?
Post by: Haybo on June 07, 2016, 06:49:18 AM
Hi, welcome to the forum.  You have made a wise choice to visit Kalkan.... It is amazing!

At the risk of sounding unhelpful, there is lots of advice in the section you posted in, so it might be worth reading some of those posts to save everyones tippy tappy fingers!

However, we tend to take stirling and change in shops or banks where the rate is always great.  Most accomodations have a safe, so you can stash the cash safely. 

Have a great visit x
Post by: Sezkalkan on June 07, 2016, 07:36:26 AM
Yes well done for choosing Kalkan - you won't be disappointed!
I would say bring sterling and change in Kalkan. The rates are so much higher in Kalkan than home, currently around 4.2 (I don't know what the rate is in UK at the moment, but in April when we were looking it was around 3.7!
Have a great time.
Post by: mel on June 07, 2016, 08:11:35 AM
Withdraw sterling as you need it from an atm and change into tl in Kalkan. Not wise to have large amounts of cash in your accommodation even in a safe.
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 07, 2016, 08:33:09 AM
I would say take some TL with you enough until you can get to the ATM's.....you will need some to tide you over and yes the major cards are widely accepted in shops, restaurants etc ;)
Post by: Oxfordblue on June 07, 2016, 11:13:24 AM
Thanks Everyone! I can get 4.10 in the UK at the moment.. How does that compare?

Am I right in thinking local ATMs dispense sterling as well as Lira??
Post by: alantj on June 07, 2016, 11:38:44 AM
Hi,

You will have no problem using your Clarity card and this will give you the best possible rate today you would get 4.21TL.

I used my Clarity card in April this year and found the rate to be a little better than changing money at the banks and much better than the rates offered by the shops.

Post by: Oxfordblue on June 07, 2016, 02:23:10 PM
Hi,

You will have no problem using your Clarity card and this will give you the best possible rate today you would get 4.21TL.

I used my Clarity card in April this year and found the rate to be a little better than changing money at the banks and much better than the rates offered by the shops.

Perfect - just what I needed to know! Thanks!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal