Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 17, 2016, 12:53:23 PM

Title: This holiday can't come quick enough!
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 17, 2016, 12:53:23 PM
At this time in 3 days we will be at the airport and our eagerly anticipated holiday will begin (don't know about the rest of you but the holiday begins once at the airport).  After the upset of last year with family issues, work issues and culminating in my mum dying in November I well and truly need this holiday.  Still have a list of jobs to do at home before we leave.  Not sure all of them will get done.  Is it ok go on holiday without dusting/vacuuming?

Jo
Title: Re: This holiday can't come quick enough!
Post by: Kalkan regular on May 17, 2016, 05:13:27 PM
Why would you dust before you go on holiday.....more will just settle while you're away & you can do it when you return!
Post by: Babs on May 17, 2016, 10:08:11 PM
It is more than ok to go on holiday without doing housework........hope you have a brilliant and relaxing holiday after what sounds like a tough time. Enjoy......look forward to hearing all about it! :laugh:
Post by: Charlie on May 17, 2016, 10:20:23 PM
Have a fab, well deserved holiday Joeyloveskalkan :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 18, 2016, 07:16:17 AM
Can't wait to read all about it. Enjoy!!
BTW, I'm in the clean the house camp only because I like coming home to a pristine home (even though it will get a bit dusty whilst we're away..) Even though our eldest has moved back home for a while, I still clean the house and say "this is how I expect to find it!".
Don't put pressure on yourself, though...do what's right for you!
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 18, 2016, 09:44:43 AM

Well I torture myself in trying to get pristine house perfection as I love coming home to clean bedding and a tidy house. It's the only time I can achieve it though as before too long the dog will be shedding hairs left right and centre and dribbling slaver down my windows but in the whole scheme of things it's not that important so don't beat yourself up if you don't get round to it.  :)

Looking forward to hearing about your well deserved holiday. Have a fab time.  8) :D :)
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 18, 2016, 12:53:50 PM
Thanks guys.  Will try and let you all know what's going on.

Got home from work yesterday to be told take your shoes off I have hoovered all the way through and done a bit of dusting, getting the worst of it up.  Don't you all wish you had a husband like mine?  He does finish earlier than I do and I had to work a bit late yesterday.  He is going to clean the bathroom for me this afternoon as well.  Doesn't help with the packing though that is my domain.  He can't do it properly anyway.

See you on the other side (if all goes to plan).

Jo
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 18, 2016, 01:33:03 PM
Have a fab time, can't wait for your reports, so exciting :D. I'm on the clean house brigade too, usually the last thing I do before we lock the door, is pour bleach down the loos, then I know everything is done! Thought I would share that sorry!  ;D

Jayne
Post by: Babs on May 18, 2016, 05:44:33 PM
Ok....so I'm a slob....hangs head in shame! :-[
Post by: lurcherlou on May 18, 2016, 06:35:55 PM
I'm always amazed that I manage to pack - let alone clean the house. Perhaps I should start saving for a cleaner to do a pre holiday clean ?! ;D
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 21, 2016, 08:58:18 AM
We have arrived and are currently sat in Sopranos drinking tea and what do we have in the sky ..... Cloud. This is not what we ordered. Oh well more drinking time. This is still Kalkan and we love it. No plans at the moment except watching the FA Cup Final later. Don't know where yet.
J
Post by: Babs on May 21, 2016, 01:01:27 PM
Enjoy.......well not the cloud obviously!
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 21, 2016, 03:52:43 PM
A chilling day today after travelling yesterday.  The sun is trying to come out now but a bit late as we have showered to go out. Hopefully still be there tomorrow.

Efes 11.00 in Merkez and 10.00 in Trio at the moment - I know this is the information you really want.

J
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 21, 2016, 04:18:20 PM
Hope the weather improves and enjoy your evening. Looking forward to hearing what you get up to.  :)
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 22, 2016, 03:56:37 PM
Well the sun came out today eventually. Had a little sunbathe this afternoon.  Walked around the Old Town this morning. The works behind the beach are a real mess when viewed from above.

Lunch today was a sandwich at Akin. Always nice to visit the guys there. The side was down nearest the sea as a blowy today. Efes here TL9.50.

The football last night was worth a watch but wrong result as far as I was concerned. Extra time meant eating very late for us. We do miss Merkez not serving main meals after 6.00pm. Popped across to Paprika for a quick something in the cafe. Very tired by the time we got to bed.

Not very exciting report. Hopefully more to impart later in the week.
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 23, 2016, 12:46:07 PM
Looks like they are putting the concrete down in front of the new units today - each day, it will start to look a little better.
We are also with you on the Merkez stopping food after 6pm. It was always our first night tradition having gone there on our first visit to Kalkan over 10 years ago  :( :(
We like Paprika though....and late night for us, usually means Soup Kitchen.
Looking forward to hearing more about your stay :)
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 23, 2016, 01:20:22 PM
The sun had his hat on this morning when we pulled the curtains back at last. Decided on a walk to Kalamar. Finally found the road that took us past all the houses and out the other side.  Lunch at House Cafe. A mixed messe, delicious. Now sat in Merkez having had a fresh melon juice, very refreshing.

It is very very quiet here. The businesses are very worried. I hope things pick up for tgem soon.

Now to decide where to go for dinner!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 23, 2016, 07:30:24 PM
Sounds like your enjoying your holiday Jo.  Glad the sun has come out for you today. Really hope business picks up soon for everyone. Look forward to hearing where you decide on dinner, so much choice now isn't there. We really want to try Salonika when we go.  Thanks for taking the time to post.

J
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 24, 2016, 04:20:42 PM
The family are out here this year at their apartment up the mountain and we mer up with them for a drink yesterday evening. We chatted so long that there wasn't time to go back to our room to shower and change and go out again to eat. We don't like eating too late. Gary's neice and her family went up early Gary, his brother, sister in law and I just called into Adana for a quck bite. Nothing fancy but good food.

Today we watched Gary's great nephew play tennis as Patara Prince. He had met up with a chap at Samira Resort who plays. Bear in mind he is 10 years old, he beat this chap. He also beat his dad. For his age he hits the ball really hard.

We went to Bob's Cafe for lunch before walking back to the hotel for a rest and a swim.  Water not too cold.

Tonight the plan is to go to Rose to eat. Will let you know if all goes to plan.
Post by: tonye1960 on May 25, 2016, 09:29:46 AM
Loving these reports, I am visiting first time in July so all info helps. Good to see Efes prices too, keep those prices coming nice to know where the cheapest efes is served lol.
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 25, 2016, 10:24:32 AM
Sounds like a future Wimbledon champion there, Joeyloveskalkan :) :)
I love making plans for Kalkan...which days we are going where. Then each night having a place in mind to eat and often not reaching there...for lots of reasons. I love that just going with the flow thing when we are there...
Keep the reports coming, they are really putting me in the mood 8)
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 26, 2016, 03:11:40 PM
Gosh where does the time go; I haven't posted for a while.

Today is Thursday, market day. Walked through the market this morning and the guys are desperate for sales. Trouble is we don't want anything. I have dresses and Gary has t-shirts and shirts from Kalkan. We do need some black peppercorns but these can wait til next week.

Yesterday we went to Fener for coffee in the morning and stayed 3 1/2 hours.  We didn't do that last year but previously this was how we spent our time in Kalkan most days.  The view from the table by the little gate is still spectacular.  I had my favourite avocado and goat's cheese salad.  Still good.

Last night we met up with friends and went to Chillies for dinner. We were the only ones in when we got there but it filled up while we ate. I had the Cillies Special vegetarian dish, WOW it was delicious.  I hope he keeps this on the menu for our next visit.  If I end up with bland food for a couple of nights I may have to go back for more.

I am sat here typing this sat in our room looking out at that view we love so much.  The sea is a deep blue and not a cloud in the sky.  It is a bit windy and the sea looks choppy from here so it must be rough.

That's it for now.  Must get ready to go out.  Due to watch the Turkish Cup Final later.

Jo
Post by: IssyG on May 27, 2016, 12:51:07 PM
We are flying out on Monday and I can't wait.  Been looking at the webcam on KTLN and this morning and I counted six people walking past in eight minutes, doesn't seem to be very busy!
We love Kalkan and have been coming out for about 15 years. 
As it's half term next and I work in a school, members of staff have been asking if I'm going away and I say yes to Turkey and every single one of them (at least five this morning, including the Head) have replied 'you must be very brave!'  it's got to the point where I can't be bothered to go into details about the minimal risk, what a lovely place Turkey is  etc.
I'm thinking of replying that I'm off to Greece to avoid the inevitable disagreement - I can't fall out with everyone I work with!
Roll on Monday - I can't wait to see that wonderful view again!
Post by: Kalkan regular on May 27, 2016, 01:16:35 PM
IssG I think I would be inclined to ask them why they think you're brave. If they say 'terrorists' you can educate them by telling them that the Foreign Office rate Turkey no higher risk than the Uk or Spain. Enjoy your holiday.
Post by: brian j p on May 27, 2016, 02:15:26 PM
I simply tell people we are going on holiday  to Basra  and Aleppo,  then when we say   only kidding we are going to Turkey,  they say thank god for that . It is a crazy world we live in ,  I feel safer in Kalkan than in UK , nothing will ever stop us traveling to our beloved Kalkan
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 27, 2016, 05:19:21 PM
IssyG, I've been having sneaky peeks at the KTLN webcams too...at different times of the day/evening and I'm amazed at how quiet it appears to be. The Moonlight tables and chairs have never got passed two-deep which is very unusual. Thought I might take a look later when England are playing to see if it's any different.
As much as I would love Kalkan to ourselves, I worry for the businesses who rely on the tourist lira. As you say, let's hope things really pick-up next week as the half-termers arrive.
Post by: Babs on May 27, 2016, 06:24:57 PM
I've just had a peep at the Korsan webcams......the Korsan is quite busy for its opening night but the Fish Terrace just has people sitting along the edge. We were there at exactly this time last year and it was fully booked as usual. Really hope things pick up,as the season goes on.
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 27, 2016, 06:27:11 PM
Your right..the Moonlight does look very quiet...and Utopia has had no one in a couple of nights....lets hope the Businesses survive without hammering the tourists that do come this season!! ;)
Post by: BeyazGül Apt. on May 27, 2016, 06:43:14 PM
Shame utopia doesn't have trade in it, when I was there in march he was spending most nights to midnight painting. 
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 28, 2016, 09:49:27 AM
I'm sat in Akin at the moment enjoying a coffee looking out over the harbour and deep blue see to the islands. A bit breezy today but the sun is out.

In reply to the posts above, everywhere is quiet. Utopia hasn't had anyone in since we have been here. Not one of our usual haunts I must admit. We are trying to spread our Lira around as much as it is.

We went for a walk yesterday out past the Regency and called in for coffee. When I checked on the menu for the price I wished we hadn't. They were the most expensive coffees I have ever had and I have had coffees all over the world.  Won't make that mistake again.  The prices on the snack menu astronomical.  They are probably very good but couldn't bring myself to pay the price.  I was still in shock on our walk and fell over (down to lack of grip on my sandals actually).  So called back into the Regency to clean up.  Didn't feel guilty about it.

Ate at Smyrna last night which was excellent.  We were the only ones in for a long while.  Then only another couple turned up.  Looking up at the Nar they were empty for a good while.  Merkez still manages to attract people for drinks but not as busy as it used to be.

Please people keep coming to Kalkan it is as gorgeous and quiet as ever.   The building works now the season had started are not having an impact.  Not that I have experienced anyway.

Jo
Post by: chrisbluestar on May 28, 2016, 03:45:49 PM
Please tell how much these "expensive "coffees and snacks were ,so we can compare please
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 28, 2016, 08:24:26 PM
Thanks for posting Joeyloveskalkan, although worrying to hear about the prices at Regency. Like BL, I worry that the Kalkan mentality when things aren't going well is to increase prices to recoup losses.....we all know this doesn't work, but it's usually what happens.
Utopia has been empty, every single night and Moonlight nowhere near as busy as they would normally be for an England match last night, or the play-offs today. A few years back, I remember being there when Blackpool won the playoff for Premiership promotion and you couldn't get a cigarette paper between the tables which went all the way to the other side of the road ???
Post by: samson on May 28, 2016, 08:30:22 PM
by contrast! Aubergine who we always thought to be expensive are now selling wine at 25tl a bottle and efes 9tl! most other places 42/45 for wine and 12tl for beer. also think that Aubergine have kept the menu at lower prices as well.
Post by: Mayday1 on May 28, 2016, 11:02:07 PM
I think we need to give the season a chance to get going.It is still May and more people are hopefully going to be arriving in June / july  / august............but compared to last year,it will be quiete......hopefully,visitors will flock to Kalkan for the bank holiday
Post by: amber on May 29, 2016, 06:38:58 AM
Sadly its quieter in all the resorts along the coast.I was in Antalya a couple of weeks ago and Fethiye also,both really suffering this year too.All other resorts reporting the same.
Its going to be a tough season for everyone and so many local people are involved in tourism,one way or another.
The UK press seem to have gone overboard at portraying Turkey as unsafe.Of course you would be a fool to take a trip up to the Syrian border but look how far we are away....When I was in England, in April,people were commiserating with me for living in Turkey!
I can honestly say I feel safer here than on my recent visit to the UK.
Kalkan may be quieter but its as beautiful as ever! A warm welcome wherever you go.....Actually is quite hot already!

Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 29, 2016, 09:36:05 AM
Sorry I should have said, the coffees in the Regency were £4.25 each.  Don't know about anyone else but that to me is expensive.
Post by: Mayday1 on May 29, 2016, 10:09:02 AM
Yes it isn't cheap Joey........but it is The Regency hotel..very very plush and so you should kind of expect higher prices at hotels like this........never going to be similar to say...Cafe vita
Post by: pattaya on May 29, 2016, 08:54:22 PM
That's not expsive .. It's extortionate !
Ridiculous more expensive that a cocktail
At the lovely Likya residence hotel.
X
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 30, 2016, 07:35:44 PM
I'm sorry, but I've been in some plush hotels in my time but that price for a coffee certainly takes some beating....as lovely as the Regency is, it's not on Rue Grimaldi in Monaco and needs to get a grip...!
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 31, 2016, 09:26:43 AM
A few more people around now, families mainly. There is a wedding group around that is 60 in number so that should help.

Spent the last couple of days with our family who are also out here.  Sunday afternoon up at the Samira Resort and yesterday over at Kalkan Beachpark.  It was peaceful over there other than Gary's great neice and nephews, but they are well behaved kids so they weren't a bother.

Went back to Cillies Sunday with the family, everyone enjoyed their meals, even the kids.  They do look after you there.  Last night as a treat we went to a new restaurant for us Salt and Pepper.  Always been meaning to go in and only just made it.  Food was ok but nothing special.  But then again as a vegetarian I am hard to please.

Weather has been hot with clear blue skies.  I think there is a bit of cloud around today as the sun went in just now but we are sat in Merkez for coffee and I can't see what is going on up there.

Only a few days left so am writing my list of restaurants to visit and nights left.  Does anyone else do this?

Jo
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 31, 2016, 12:44:46 PM
Gosh, only a few days left! Why do the days go so quickly when you are on holiday but drag when you are at work!

Shame about Salt and Pepper and I'm sure you're not difficult to please, sometimes I'm tempted by some of the vegetarian dishes on offer as the combination of fresh veg and spices are so delicious. On the boat trips my favourite dishes are the veggie ones.

As for the list - yes but mentally rather than writing down on paper. How I hate that countdown to home and trying to cram in as much as possible, including restaurant choices left.

Enjoy your remaining days.  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 01, 2016, 12:05:53 AM
I hate that point of the holiday when the days left don't correspond with the number of restaurants we want to visit :(. I have a list at the start of the stay that just appears to grow. As fast as we tick a few off a couple more are added..then plans go awry so the nights left and the restaurants on the list don't add up.
Can't believe how quickly your visit has gone. It's difficult when you have dietary requirements and whilst I think you can eat well in Kalkan, if you are restricted to just a couple of dishes on a menu it's a nuisance. Most restaurants will try to accommodate you if you explain and make a starter a main meal, or just prepare something different for you....don't be afraid to ask.
Look forward to hearing more from you, if you have some time.
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on June 01, 2016, 12:51:59 PM
Who would have thought I would be eating in Aubergine this year?  Things are so quiet they haven't turned their nose up at us just going in for a starter and a drink at lunchtime.  With Efes currently 9TL we are having lunch for less than £10 for two.  You can't go wrong.  Not sure if this will continue all Summer.  They are teaching new waiting staff so we have been useful practice for them.

Ate at Coriander last night.  Food was very good but service a bit slow.  Only one chef in the kitchen and when they got busy with a couple of groups they had to say no more.  We were one of the first in the evening so we were ok.  Apart from getting the bill.

Lazing around now the holiday is coming to a close.  Funny how at the beginning you have to do stuff then at the end you don't mind sitting and watching the world go by.  Temperature today hot.
Post by: macrefield mom on June 01, 2016, 05:15:50 PM
Yes we too ate in Aubergine and had 2 evening meals there when we were out in May. They still had their winter prices on the menu which made it almost half price. We used to be regulars there when we first went out in 1998 and shared our evenings quite often between here and Ibos! We know the staff very well so they were really pleased to welcome us in as we don't eat there during the summer months because of high prices and they all had the time to spend time chatting which is impossible during busy summers.

Hope June brings some good business for all of the restaurants. Anyone been to the new units on the harbour front?

Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on June 03, 2016, 12:28:31 PM
The day had arrived for us to go home.

We have been keeping a check on the area behind the beach, looking reasonable now with grass down.  Not sure how it will look after the Summer.  We shall see.

Had our last meal in Aubergine, now waiting for our airport food in Merkez.  There could be tears.

J
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 03, 2016, 01:24:32 PM
awww! come on Merkez food isn't that bad :P
safe journey
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 07, 2016, 01:38:54 PM
Well I presume you are now home Jo and hope not too many tears were shed on departure.  :'(

Thanks for reporting back to us Kalkan starved folks and hope someone else can now continue with your good work.  :)

Anyone out there???  ???
Post by: itstime on June 07, 2016, 11:19:37 PM
Just arrived  :D
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 08, 2016, 10:18:38 AM
Hey itstime! Look forward to hearing from you and have a wonderful holiday.  :) 8)
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on June 08, 2016, 12:56:18 PM
Not too many tears were shed, just a few as the car went up the hill and Kalkan faded into the distance.  Not so bad this time as we will be back in September; 13 weeks 2 days and counting.

When we leave in September that will be a different matter.  I learnt yesterday afternoon that Thomson as from the end of this season will no longer be going to Kalkan.  We have used a package holiday as they fly from Bournemouth to Dalaman, which has been great for us as my brother-in-law has picked us up.  We could still go on the flight and stay at the Kelebek and pay direct but it will depend on the cost.  Just needs a little more thought.

Jo
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 08, 2016, 01:16:00 PM
You'll probably find its cheaper, Jo.
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 08, 2016, 02:05:14 PM
Joey.....Flights to Dalaman from Bournemouth are very expensive compared to Gatwick(we have looked before at that option but i nearly choked on my Rice Krispies)..you have to weigh up petrol,travel time etc but it would still be cheaper to fly from Gatwick Imo ;)
Post by: Alex on June 08, 2016, 02:27:46 PM
How much are the flights from Bournemouth?
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on June 09, 2016, 12:56:13 PM
I looked online the other day and the flight only at the moment is £285.00 each. 

Like I said before needs a bit of thought.  Will have to find out from the Kelebek how much they will be charging for a 2 weeks stay.  If I can get really cheap flights from Gatwick and factor in a taxi fare or coach there and taxi back it may be ok.  Will have to see.

J
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 09, 2016, 03:03:12 PM
They were £400 + when I last looked earlier this year perhaps the fact no one wants to go has shortened the price?....it put me off looking again...gulp! :o
Post by: Alex on June 09, 2016, 06:39:53 PM
I looked online the other day and the flight only at the moment is £285.00 each. 

Like I said before needs a bit of thought.  Will have to find out from the Kelebek how much they will be charging for a 2 weeks stay.  If I can get really cheap flights from Gatwick and factor in a taxi fare or coach there and taxi back it may be ok.  Will have to see.

J

That's a steal, try flying from Scotland! we get ripped off up here!!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal