Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Pompeyalbie on May 04, 2016, 10:02:31 AM

Title: Kalkan Episode VIII - The Pompies Awaken
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 04, 2016, 10:02:31 AM
Well that crept up on us quick, so quickly that I'd forgotten to take out travel insurance. Because we went to New York last October we had US insurance instead of Europe, so it was panic, good job I'd done some research earlier in the year and found my Saga quote.
Just been up in the roof to get cases out & check travel toiletries are all in place, clothes laid out on the beds ready to be packed. Cameras & spare batteries all charged up, plugs, anti mossie stuff all topped up just in case. Taxi confirmed for 3 o'clock pick up ready for 7:10 TC cattle plane out of Gatwick.
Strangely enough I've no plans in my head of what we are going to do apart from a day on the boat with the Yildiz boys & Tuesday market at Fethiye. Over the years we've done all the local sites & even gone further afield to see St Nicholas so it could be just a lazy week by the pool at the apartment in Kisla we have booked. Reading some of the other topics we want to try Salonika, sounds good but will miss our brunches at Fener enjoying watching the boats going out, will have to try some new places to eat as our traditional first & last, Alternatif, isn't open yet. I've been buying packets of seeds to take over to Adem for his garden so it'll be nice to see him & the family. Just for a change I'm going to leave the car behind & get a taxi in & back so I can have more than 1 Efes of an evening.
Even though I retired at the end of October my part time casual job driving a little van has been full time for the last couple of months so am looking forward to a Turkish bath & a massage to relax my aging back.
So time to leave the forum for a week so you don't get bored with my rambling blogs.
Title: Re: Kalkan Episode VIII - The Pompies Awaken
Post by: Chris_S on May 04, 2016, 10:46:59 AM
Give up the forum? :o

Are you mad? ???

Carry on blogging - that's what we're all waiting to read!

{A Saga travel Insurance quote was reasonable?  How did you manage that?}
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 04, 2016, 12:18:20 PM
Safe journey Pompeyalbie and I'm very much looking forward to your ramblings.  :) :)
Post by: janeb on May 04, 2016, 03:13:16 PM
 :D Ramble away please!

Have a great time.
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 05, 2016, 10:32:06 PM
We are here  :D , nice smooth run up to Gatwick arriving in plenty of time. Thomas Cook seem to have got some new planes as the Airbus was quite spacious & a lot smaller than previous flights, although we did have young kids behind us being a pain. A lot of cloud coming in to Dalaman made it a bit bumpy. Hired a car from Pandora Cars and have to say it's not the best car we've hired but it'll do. A couple of hairy moments with aborted overtakes due to lack of oomph, stopped by traffic police before Calis  but waved through when they realised we were tourists. Weather was a bit damp with spray of bigger vehicles, lots of road improvements going on. However, when we turned the bend above the bay the sun came out and the sea sparkled. After an unpack we popped into town to get a few bits to top up the welcome pack the owner had arranged for us, thanks Phil.
After a bath & a cuppa we went into town for something to eat, we'd not eaten properly since 5 am and it was 6pm UK time. There's been a lot of changes since last May. First stop was to see Ozay at MissSilver, they've done changes to both shops and Janet already has her eye on a bracelet and a watch. Popped around the corner to suss out where Salonika is and chatted to the a boss so that's on the must visit list. Having seen that Aalternatif is open we had to go there, it's a favourite of ours, no more going down the steep hill & having to climb it again, this time it is up a flight of orange stairs to the roof terrace. Mustafa was up there and was as welcoming as always, his second night & the weather was gloomy with the odd flash out at sea, we'd had a shower of rain just before we arrived. We were the only customers so had plenty of time to chat & catch up, seems he is going to run for mayor of Kas in 2019. Right on to the food, I had what I always have for starters there, Calamari & it was  beautiful, not rubbery and presented so nicely, forgot a complimentary mezz of garlic bread with olives, garlic yoghurt & another dish, Janet has an allergy to garlic so I woofed the lot. For her starter she had prawn boreks which she likes. The view is really good for somewhere tucked behind the trees in the road. We both went for steaks, I had the Chefs special with a pepper sauce with onions & mushrooms while Janet had the Alternatif Specila with was with mushrooms and a nice sauce. Someone said yesterday they did the best steaks in town and they are right, done just how you asked and oh so tender. Because it was only their second day there weren't any desserts on offer  but hey ho we were happy with a nice Turkish coffee. A few more customers arrived so it wasn't a complete washout for them, a free drink each, 10% discount off the bill & an Ameretto to finish left a certain lady a little bit squiffy considering we'd been travelling all day & not really eaten properly. I think a taxi to town and back will be the order of the day in future .
Tomorrow we have a few jobs to do, I have a couple of watches I want Ozay to repair, a couple of pairs of glasses I want Goz to upgrade with new lenses, a boat trip to book & Janet wants to look in Bella's boutique for a dress to wear at my son's wedding in July.
In the past we've noticed that you don't seem to see stars in the sky at night but tonight the sky is clear and they are all out twinkling up there, stood on the top balcony with my iPad app spotting Jupiter shining brightly..
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 06, 2016, 12:58:36 PM
Thanks for letting us know you arrived safely. 

Not a good idea to get a bit sqiffy at the top of those stairs to the new Alternatif.

Look forward to hearing more as this is getting me in the mood for our trip in 2 weeks. 

J
Post by: Drakeasinduck on May 06, 2016, 07:01:13 PM
6 weeks to go for us!  Alternatif is always our first night too. I can already taste those wonderful steaks!
Post by: Holidaylover28 on May 06, 2016, 08:33:34 PM
Sounds yum!! whereabouts is the new Alternatif, whats it near i.e. somewhere like hunkers?
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 06, 2016, 08:38:28 PM
Aaahh, welcome home Pompeyalbie....good to have some holiday reports to read and I for one, don't care if it's just weather, where you ate, what you ate and what you thought of it..I'd be happy. Also the legendary Janet's dark arts of shopping are a particular favourite of mine, so don't hold back.
The new spot for Alternatif is a good one - Moonstone for the past couple of years and I can't remember the restaurant before that, but even through the trees, it's a great panoramic view of Kalkan. Holidaylover28, the new home for Alternatif is above Utopia Bar (next to Moonlight Bar)
Hope the weather picks up - clear skies is a good sign :) BTW, the one efes and driving is only permitted if you aren't carrying passengers. It's zero tolerance when Janet's on board....so unless you are pulling her along on a skateboard, you are doing the right thing getting taxis in and out of the village.
Interested to know how you find Kisla..? And please don't say you just carry on past Patara Prince and there it is :-*
Post by: Holidaylover28 on May 06, 2016, 08:45:04 PM
yep i know where it is, thank you  ;D another one to add to the list in just over 4 weeks time ;)
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 06, 2016, 09:35:02 PM
K4E, for years we always rented a villa in the Lycian City complex up by the secondary school but they began to look a bit tired so I looked elsewhere & found Elmas over in Kisla last year. It is a lovely apartment just along from Bobs Supermarket. The view is amazing across the bay, I'll stick a photo from the balcony on the Enjoy Kalkan Facebook page as it's easier than uploading on here. It's easy to get into town as well.
Today was a typical first full day, doing odds & ends, visiting old faces & seeing what's changed. Parked up at the bottom of cardiac hill by the Pirat & popped in to see Tumay at the lower MissSilver shop, they've been working hard on improving it & it looks good with loads of new shiny bits to catch Janet's eye. Luckily some customers came in so I could drag her away before she ba came too attached to a new trinket. Next stop was the harbour to book up a day at sea on one of the Yildiz boats, Zaynep literally ran off her brothers boat to say hello, all booked up for tomorrow as it is supposed to be nice and calm. Next stop was the big disappointment, up where the new builds are being worked on, oh dear, I don't know when any of them plan to open but they were digging a trench along the front of them all. Fener was getting a lick of paint so hopefully that will be open for you luckier ones coming later on. I had to feel sorry for all those restaurants on the harbour with all the dust & Lorries & cement mixers going up & down, can't be good for their daytime trade. Next stop was to the opticians, Janet needed her distance sunglasses replacing & I had 2 pairs of old ones needing updated lens a lot cheaper than new glasses as the frames good ones. The lighter wallet made it easier to climb up the street. On to Belma's Boutik to see if she had a dress Janet can wear to my son's wedding in July but alas there was nothing so it looks like I could be dragged around clothes shops in Fethiye on Tuesday. With no Fener I thought we'd have lunch at Merkez but that was also closed & having a spruce up so we eventually ended up at Cafe Leon for a snack & a drink. Back to the car via the Pandora shop, which is now down opposite Salt & Pepper, and the glass shop which has some nice pieces in which will need careful packing when we go back and buy some. The hire car made it back up Cardiac & off we went to book dinner at Adam's for Sunday night. He doesn't change bless him, his fresh produce has been under attack from one of his chickens & while he was showing me his lettuces he found another raider lurking in the undergrowth, a little tortoise which was dispatched with his friend to somewhere else away from his garden. It was nice to see some of the seeds we'd brought him over the years in flower, who else in Turkey has nasturtium growing in their garden, I should've brought him some bluebell bulbs to introduce to his garden. After a swift fruit juice it was back to the apartment for a lazy afternoon by the pool soaking up the Rays. The wind started to get up mid afternoon so we retired inside. I'd brought my Fire tv stick with a bit of software on so Janet was able to continue her normal afternoon routine, Channel 5 racing, if only she bet on all these winners she tells me she'd picked we'd be rich.
We'd earlier booked a table at Sade as it was the very first place we ate at on our very first visit so always go there at least once a trip. They've extended to the roof next door to add a couple of extra tables & a relaxing area where you can have a drink. I won't bore you with what we ate as some readers don't like reading that but needless to say it was up to their usual standard & you can see why they are high on the Trip advisor ratings. Efes seem to be around 13TL a bottle nowadays. We had a few showers tonight after a nice sunset but at least the wind has dropped now.
Post by: Babs on May 07, 2016, 07:15:15 AM
I'm with K4E.....I love a holiday report, no details are too boring! Waiting with baited breath to hear about Janet's shopping exploits!  ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 07, 2016, 08:03:19 AM
Thank you Pompeyalbie what a lovely read your blog is. Sounds like you have done lots already. Have a great day on yildez today. We too are just thinking about pre booking our boat trips for July. What's the day trip price this year? The lovely Adem and his seeds. What a gentleman he is. We have taken him seeds too in previous years. :D Please keep on posting we all love it and hope Janet manages to get her outfit sorted   :D
Post by: Haybo on May 07, 2016, 10:22:30 AM
Please spare no details! Jayne. osman quoted me 70tl for my trip in July which i think is the same as last year.  Pleased to hear Fener is looking like opening...it is such a 'staple' for many Kalkanites that it would be sad to see it closed.  We went several times last year and took no notice whatsoever of the half finished units....i do hope they finish the road surface infront of Seaport etc though, that looks like an accident waiting to happen.  Sounds as though the new 'in' street is where Salonika is these days.  8 weeks today and I will be Kalkan bound with my lovely friend Natalie...need to come up with a good blog title!
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 08, 2016, 08:30:44 AM
Same price as last year, 70TL and worth every cent of it. The sea wasn't cold at all so lots of snorkelling, being a Saturday Adam has both his son's along as crew while his wife was busy in the galley, how she produces those meals I don't know. Gloriously sunny & quite calm out there, even a few turtles around popping their heads up. No need to regale tales as we've all been on the boat trip, although it was longer than normal we never got back until 6pm, also not many boats doing trips at the moment. There seems to be a lot of building work going on in Kalamar Bay so maybe the law of stopping work when the season starts has been relaxed or the season hasn't officially started.  Bad news of the day was that I boarded as a ghost & got off as a lobster, I never learn, "Stupid boy, Pike'.
At a bit of a loose end today as not sure what to do but dinner at Adam's tonight will be good.
Post by: Babs on May 08, 2016, 09:20:34 PM
At a loose in Kalkan? There's always something to do even if it's just sitting and watching! My favourite days are when there is nothing to do.....give me the sunshine and a good book and I'm happy  :laugh:
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 08, 2016, 10:00:25 PM
We went to Kas in search of the elusive dress for the wedding, unfortunately Janet is tall & slim so a lot were ruled out immediately, we did find one that nearly fitted but that eventually got ruled out. After a bit of lunch it was back to Kalkan, I love driving along the coast road, reminds me of the original Italian Job. Parked up down by the harbour & it looks like Fener will be open soon as chairs were being put out, same with Seaport in the new builds. Merkez also looks like it will be fully opened in the next day or so which will be nice. First stop was May Boutik where they had a grey number she liked but unfortunately it was a little tight across her back, on we go across the street to Belma's  where I think we've found a winner, albeit similar to one she bought a couple of years ago which made an appearance at Royal Ascot. On our way back to the car we stopped off at Trio for a refreshing homemade mint & Ginger lemonade, recommended if you are passing.
Dinner was at Adam's he picked us up in Kisla, sadly we were his only customers tonight but we had time to sit and chat about the family & his garden, his wife even invited to Samira's engagement in September. Brought him some flower seeds again including sweet peas so if you have them in a vase on your table later in the year remember us. This is another restaurant we always visit simply because we love the simplicity of the food, none of your range cordon bleu 2 chips & a carrot as your vegetables, this is real home cooking and plenty of it. I look at the menu but I always go back to my favourites either the meze ( which is huge) or fried lambs liver followed by his famous Lamb Shank or Black & White Steaks. Just to be a tease I'll let you guess which way I went. Janet had Fried mushrooms and Chicken Alacreme which was huge, I'm getting her a child's portion next time.
Tomorrow I think we'll be off to Patara to see if they've dug anymore ruins out then up to Islamar for a nice trout lunch. We asked Adam about the going to see the inside of the mosque & he gave us some advice so we are going to do that tomorrow as it is something we've been meaning to do for a long time.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 09, 2016, 06:49:46 PM
All sounds wonderful, my mouth is watering just thinking about Adem's food, your so right Pompeyalbie it is simplicity at it's best and always on our list to go every holiday.  I always opt for the shrimp casserole which is divine! the best I have had yet to be honest, OH has sampled the lamb shank and the black and white steaks, both of which are fab too! What did you end up having?

Glad Janet has decided on a dress, bet she is pleased :D

Thanks for the info re the boat prices, was trying hard to not book any boat trips until we arrive this year, but couldn't resist it, so am just about to book Kekova, Yildez and Pina X, and as a treat a trip to Meis and we can't wait!  :D :D

Sadly our summer in the UK lasted 48 hours as it's raining and cold again now and the heating back on! but reading this has cheered up a dreary Monday evening! Thank you.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday and look forward to your next blog  :D :D

J&B

Post by: kalkan4eva on May 09, 2016, 10:51:31 PM
Still gloriously sunny in North Wales...so making the most of it :)
I'm curious, Pompeyalbie...do you really believe Janet is done at just the one dress..? Think again, my friend. I can't believe you went in the sea this early in the season, it's usually icy cold and what a school-boy error not to slather yourself in Factor 100. Hope your sunburn is better today.
Looking forward to hearing more about your stay.
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 10, 2016, 12:02:52 PM
Good news re Fener, Merkez and Seaport. Hope you get chance to visit this holiday.

It was nice hearing about Adem, this year is the first time we have been in Kalkan and not visited. We always call, even if it's only for a drink, buit for some reason just didn't seem to get chance. Hopefully we will go in August and report back on how the seeds are flourishing.  :)

Enjoy the rest of your stay and I'm really enjoying reading all about it. Sadly our nice weather has disappeared for now but I'm hoping it makes another appearance before summer is officially over!  ;D
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 10, 2016, 09:29:36 PM
Sorry about lack of update yesterday, the IPad battery was flat so left it charging overnight. Monday we went over to Patara after a trip into town to get a new phone charger as mine decided to not work.Picked up one in the Vodaphone shop by the roundabout for a reasonable price. Had a good wander around Patara while Janet sat in the shade, found a couple of clay jug handles by the baths, a little bit of ancient history in my hands makes you wonder who they belonged to all those years ago.
After that we decided to go up to Islamlar for a nice grilled trout lunch. Took the route from D400 via Yesilkoy, some hairy roads & steep climbs. We ate at the same place as the first time we went up there Village Cafe, even sat in the same seats with a great view down the valley to Snake & Mouse Islands. Lovely food at ridiculous prices, I mean £2:50 for a grilled trout you'd pay much more at home. We were kept company by a couple of cats including a black one who looked like a devil cat. We took the scenic route home via Bezirgan so even more steep climbs, crazy bends and some fantastic views. Spent the afternoon in the pool and lazing on the sun beds, it has come out nice now the sun has deserted the UK & come back here.
Dinner was at Salonika, a new one for us, seems popular. We had a table on the terrace at the side, a big mistake as you are tucked out of the way, best seats are on the street where there are more people to talk to and watch the world go by. The food was very nice, I opted for a meat borek starter & the seafood casserole as a main, both were very tasty & plentiful, Janet had the sea bass fillet which she enjoyed very much. I would recommend it if you like fish.
Tuesday is market day, our usual routine, drive to Calis & get the water taxi over. I was on a mission to find some nice tan shoes to go with my blue suit for my son's wedding. I bought some blue & tan "Gucci" pimp shoes last year so I had an idea what I was after. Following a few fruitless looks I came across a pair I liked, time to call in my negotiator in who got 30TL knocked off for a nice pair of leather shoes. Next stop was the spices stalls were I picked up some saffron & a big bag of black tea for 10TL each. Janet was being very restrained having just bought a couple of hand made lace doilies for 20TL & a pair of sandals for £10. A couple of nice jumpers later & we were on our way back to the water taxi then home. Another dip in the pool then it was time to go in for dinner. However, our first stop was to collect our glasses from Goz, my old frames with new lens & Janet's new prescription sunglasses & old reading glasses with new lens. We'd not made plans on where to eat so it was pot luck, after a look at Paprika's menu we tried there for a first time. Have to say the view from the roof is one of the best we've had & it was a nice sunset,so blagging on to their wifi I did a quick panorama sweep video on Periscope App to show the world what a beautiful place Kalkan is. It was noticeable looking at other restaurants from on high that there are many holidaymakers in town at the moment as there were loads of empty tables all around. The food was nice and plentiful & the staff were very attentive, maybe because only 6 of us in there.
Tomorrow is our final full day so it looks like a shopping expedition, Janet is wavering about the dress but I think it looks nice so may have to voice an opinion instead of the usual" you are the one wearing it not me". Merkez is up & running but still no Fener although the chairs & tables are in place so maybe the weekend is the only target date for opening.
Post by: Haybo on May 11, 2016, 06:21:32 AM
Wow! That went fast! thank you for the wonderful reports.  Have a fantastic last day!  Great to hear Fener is looking like opening.  As you know I am an avid webcam watcher, and there is definitly a sense of things geting moving! Hope it improves.  I need my lenses changed in my specs, would you mind PM ing me a rough idea of the cost.  Just straight forward, not varifocal or anything.
Post by: Chris_S on May 11, 2016, 10:26:44 AM
Haybo: re cost of spectacles.

It WILL be cheaper than the UK.  By a healthy margin (approx 1/3 to 1/2).

The lens specification will be higher, and the choice of coatings will be greater.  UK retailers are so expensive, they tend to downgrade slightly to make them affordable.  This is especially true of reading glasses.  The more complex - the greater saving you'll find, in my experience.

Barbaros knows what he's doing, just ensure the frames are the quality you would expect - there's such a wide choice!

And it's quicker than here!  Just take your UK Prescription.
Post by: Haybo on May 11, 2016, 12:24:48 PM
Thanks Chris S.  We have had several pairs from Barbaros over the years including varifocals which have been excellent.  I had new glasses last yesr which i love but the old peepers are giving up on me.  I want to keep the frames.  I just cannot recall how much lenses were...seems the brain is on its way out too....there is no hope!
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 11, 2016, 03:36:28 PM
Haybo, the postmans been. :laugh:
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 11, 2016, 10:17:17 PM
Right last update before I head off to bed, we've a long days travelling tomorrow, just hope I get home for the 7:45 kick off at Fratton Park for the first leg of the Play offs.
Final day so tidying up loose ends of shopping etc to get the lovely things we saw over the week. First stop was the pottery shop under Kalamaki, I must have every version of those little cats he sells, Janet had her eye on some bonbon dishes but I never realised how many, good job I paid for extra 5Kg of return luggage for her. Next it was down to Belma's to try on the dress, "that looks really nice & the colour really suits you" worked, we had a winner, while she was trying it on I did a deal with Belma's for a nice pashmina that will go nicely with it. Extra bonus we got a discount as well. Time for a drink so off to Merkez for a nice frozen lemonade & a bit of free wifi. Tea break over it was down to the Pandora shop which is now opposite Salt n Pepper, a charm for Janet,one for her friend plus one each for my 2 prospective daughter in laws birthdays. Still we hadn't finished, it was on to the glass shop by Doy Doy, to get a cheese board we'd seen earlier in the week. Finally it was time to escape back to Elmas in Kisla. My reward for being a "good little boy while shopping" was a bit of pampering so offI went to Atlantis for a Turkish bath, how relaxing is that?? It felt like he was stood on my back at one stage he was pressing so hard, but he did get rid of a couple of knots in my back & shoulder plus he pointed out a problem which the previous masseuse did the last time I had one. It still amazes me how they get that pillowcase full of bubbles. While I was down the town on my own I sneaked in to Ozay at Missilver to get Janet a bracelet she'd seen the previous Thursday & swore him to secrecy as it was going to be a surprising be anniversary present in July.
We said on Thursday that we'd go back to Alternatif on our last night as it seems to be our traditional last night venue, before hand though I had another treat a shave at Eddies opposite Sade, I mean 2 days growth and it looked like  bum fluff hardly stubble. A nice shave and the works to follow, I don't se a Turkish barber at home but if I had a shave I doubt I'd get the extras you get here all for less than £4.
Janet has gone off her Tonic & Gins as they are getting stronger so I talked her into a Tequila Sunrise instead, for starters she had Cheese boreks while I have Chicken Liver alacreme, after the complimentary garlic bread & dips, which as you remember is a no no for her. For her main Janet had a chicken dish which I can't remember the name of but was like a sherherds pie with chicken & cheese in, while I went for the Alternatif Feast and what a feast it was, a huge piece of calamari, sea bream, king prawn, mussels and a grouper steak plus vegetables & rice. It could feed a small country but was delicious, after that a dessert was a no go, I had a beer while Janet had a Rose & just like Thursday Mustfa sent over another beer & glass of wine, he is such a gent. We rounded off the evening with a Turkish coffee each and guess what a complimentary amaretto.
We made a final trip to see Ozay to say goodbye & I treated her to a watch she'd seen when he had posted on Facebook earlier in the year.
Time for bed as I have to be up early for a quick breakfast at Bob's before setting off to Dalaman. Thanks for reading this and if you are coming out enjoy yourselves.
PS it is very quiet here compared to previous years.

Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 12, 2016, 12:41:29 PM
Thanks for letting us share your holiday.  Really getting me in the mood for our trip in 8 days.

Here's hoping for the right result in the play-offs.

Jo
x
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 12, 2016, 04:52:21 PM
Yesterday my countdown app flashed up "One Month until Kalkan" which made my heart skip a beat. Today I've read your final report, Pompeyalbie and I'm even more in the mood than ever.
Thanks for sharing with us, I've loved reading about your days (and nights) - the Pimp shoes made me laugh out loud - cant believe how quickly your trip has gone (it probably went even quicker for you :()
Hopefully you'll make the first leg of the play-offs - not a fan of the play-offs personally, third place should go up in my book >:(

No pressure, Joeyloveskalkan, but you might be our only hope of holiday reports....
Post by: Babs on May 12, 2016, 06:14:34 PM
Thanks for sharing.......
I'm so impressed, not only did you encourage Janet's spending but you bought her a surprise too! :laugh:
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 12, 2016, 07:39:20 PM
Is that really it Albie? I can't believe that your week has passed by so quickly! Will you have a word with my OH please and tell him that it's ok to boost the Kalkan economy while keeping your nearest and dearest sweet!  ;D Janet's a lucky lady.  :)

Thank you so much for bringing a little bit of Kalkan back into my life and K4E I got a ping too the other day but it's 3 months for us sadly.

Safe journey home.
Post by: joycie on May 12, 2016, 09:00:00 PM
Thankyou so much for your lovely report. It's nearly time to pay for our holiday and that always brings Kalkan a little closer. Looking forward to meeting up with Mandy and Jackie and husbands for our Pims soiree on the magnificent Sahaine balcony. Visiting them at the magnificent Nur apartments having a night away in Kekova and just generally breathing in the magnificence which is Kalkan.
Post by: joycie on May 12, 2016, 10:03:12 PM
So excited six of us have just enrolled in a cocktail master class in September at Black and Gold. Can't wait.
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 13, 2016, 11:44:33 AM
Burak seems to be excelling himself with the cocktail creations this year - judging by the social media photos!
Lizilu, when we come home you will have less than 2 months to go until your next visit, and then I'll be the jealous one :(
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 13, 2016, 02:22:34 PM
Well that went quick, I suppose take out 2 days of travelling and it was really only 5 1/4 days in town. I managed to get to Fratton Park at 7:50 and missed the first goal. The trip wasn't without some events, first we were both subject to random checks at the boarding door, then at Gatwick Customs decided to have a rummage through my bag. Us OAPs must be the new potential smuggler profile. The couple I was sat next to on the plane also got pulled, the one similarity was that neither of us were carrying duty free bags and he asked me twice if I had any booze or fags. Are you expected to buy duty frees or are you thought to be dodgy if you don't. Shame he never looked in my hand luggage and found the plastic bag of black tea I bought at the market he'd would've had dogs sniffing it. Then the driver who was mean't to meet us wasn't there, phoned the company & they claimed he'd been there 45 mins looking for us. Well we never saw him at the arrivals gate, seems he had the wrong mobile number for me. Landed at 16:10 left the car park at nearly 18:00 I wasn't expecting to see much of the first half as he headed towards the M25 but he made good time as I opened the front door at 19:30, unlocked my case, grabbed a coat and "jogged" to the ground as fast as an unfit old codger could.
All the washing has been done & cases put up in the roof, photos uploaded( although I never took as many as usual). We both got on the bathroom scales this morning and have both lost a bit of weight despite eating lovely meals all week but no naughty snacks.
Looking forward to reading others adventures this year.
Post by: Babs on May 13, 2016, 08:52:40 PM
"Lost a bit of weight after a week in Kalkan" is something no one has ever heard me say!  :o
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 14, 2016, 09:46:05 AM
Your holiday reports have been great and thank you for taking the time to post! Glad your both home safely and that you made the game on time  :). Will be looking forward to the next holiday report now. Isn't it funny how us ladies love our count down apps! 69 days for us can't wait! Joycie your overnight stay at Kekova sounds lovely. Such a beautiful place  :).
Post by: keith on May 14, 2016, 04:14:02 PM
Excellent reporting Pompeyalbie.......has definitely got us thinking about booking a trip to Kalkan for later in the year. We were going to take a rain check this year but reading your posts has made us have second thoughts. Good luck in the second leg tomorrow.
Post by: Mrs M! on May 15, 2016, 09:33:35 PM
So good to read :) We're off in September after a two year break and can't wait!

Thanks for your reports - from a fellow Hampshire'ite'!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal