Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: happy days on April 17, 2016, 03:02:38 PM

Title: Finally - it's arrived........
Post by: happy days on April 17, 2016, 03:02:38 PM
Whilst the food and produce in Kalkan is magnificent the one thing I have always craved is a quality coffee. Well finally I am happy to say after 6 years looking it has finally arrived. The Old Town Cafe (part of the Old Town Hotel) serves up a real quality coffee. Owners Paul and Helen who have restored this old building to a fantastic standard boutique hotel certainly know how to serve up a quality coffee. It is opposite the Botanik Bar and if you don't believe me try it. You won't be disappointed. Fantastic!! (and just so you are wondering I have no connection with this place, just delighted that at last quality coffee has arrived in Kalkan)
Title: Re: Finally - it's arrived........
Post by: Haybo on April 17, 2016, 04:56:35 PM
It's odd isn't it that the Costa/Starbucks/Nero phenomenon has swept the globe....except Turkey...(thank goodness) ...the best you can hope for is that acquired taste..Turkish Coffee or Nescafe! 
Post by: alantj on April 17, 2016, 05:42:35 PM
It's odd isn't it that the Costa/Starbucks/Nero phenomenon has swept the globe....except Turkey...(thank goodness) ...the best you can hope for is that acquired taste..Turkish Coffee or Nescafe! 

They have swept Turkey, just not Kalkan yet.
Link shows around 50 Starbucks in Istanbul.   http://starbuckseverywhere.net/Istanbul.htm
Post by: Mayday1 on April 17, 2016, 06:01:04 PM
Same goes for Caffe Nero..........27 and counting in Istanbul and also elsewhere in Izmir and Ankara..........
Post by: happy days on April 18, 2016, 08:30:26 AM
Same goes for Caffe Nero..........27 and counting in Istanbul and also elsewhere in Izmir and Ankara..........

Let me be clear. The last thing I want is for a coffee chain to come to Kalkan and guite frankly that will never happen. What I am delighted with is a small independent business offering a quality coffee.
Post by: Chris_S on April 18, 2016, 10:18:33 AM
What's Starbucks got to do with coffee?

UCL once did a survey of 250 chain coffee outlets in London and found the coffee in Starbucks was often minute (as in small - not 1/60th of an hour, if you're reading this in a sleepy haze >:D)!

Caramel Latte Frappino Grande, anyone?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal