Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Lizilu20 on April 05, 2016, 12:47:55 PM

Title: The secret Kalkan diary of Lizilu20...And then there were 3!
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 05, 2016, 12:47:55 PM
Tuesday 5/4/16

The countdown begins...4 days, 3 hours and 6 min to our flight to Dalaman!

It's Turkey with a twist for us this year and a series of firsts.

First time for a twin centre trip and the very first time with only 3 of us. Our eldest 2 daughters are not holidaying with us this year  and our family of sometimes 5, sometimes 4 is down to a 3. If I'm truthful, this has put a little damper on the excitement and build up to our long awaited spring break as this is a new development in the Lizilu household and a sign of change, our fledglings, flying the nest and finding some independence. Heavens knows what I'll be like as they leave for Uni in September but that's another story and back to the one in hand.

This year we are having a little change, 2 weeks instead of 1 thanks to our youngest's school having the Easter holidays later and fooling the holiday companies. For the first time in our lives, we have paid the same as regular tourists who don't have to go in the school holidays and that saving has meant that we can have an extra week plus splash out a little on a hotel in Fethiye for a few days before travelling on to Kalkan.

So the preparations begin and started good and proper last weekend with a trip round a very busy home bargains for the sun creams and basic toiletries. As I was perusing the shampoos, a very smart looking but doddery elderly chap politely asked my OH if he could see the Bovril. Hmm Bovril among the toiletry section? I had to intervene at this point. He said that the shop assistant had told him the Bovril was near the door, well we were near the door but no sign of Bovril. I told him I'd investigate and grabbed the shop assistant. The store was heaving with customers and they were all dodging around this poor elderly bloke, grabbing their soap and toothpaste. I explained that this gentleman was searching for Bovril, to which she replied in a very loud and exasperated voice "I know, he's already asked me and I told him that the bog roll is by the door"!!!! Well both me and OH cracked up laughing, as did the other shoppers and the poor old chap said very quietly, "I asked for Bovril" not toilet tissue. "Bloody hell" she said, "I was sure you asked for Bog roll, come on then" and frog marched him down the food aisle and at this point I was having to cross my legs and nearly grab some tena lady's off the shelf! Oh it was funny and it really lifted my mood. I'm happy to say that the dapper chap got his Bovril too.  ;D

So with your permission, provided you all don't mind, it will  be business as usual on the holiday report front, with a little Fethiye twist to hopefully bring a little sunshine and light hearted relief to what have been sad and eventful times of late.

Title: Re: The secret Kalkan diary of Lizilu20...And then there were 3!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on April 05, 2016, 02:31:34 PM
Oh I second that BL, goody!!! been waiting patiently for your first instalment Lizilu, and it has certainly brightened up my day, although I so wish we were joining you, but will just have to be patient for the summer holidays! Have a fab fab time, and look forward to hearing all about it.

J&B  :D :D :D
Post by: brian j p on April 05, 2016, 03:09:38 PM
BlueLiz::   as normal you have a poetic way of describing thing in great detail ha ha ::    I also second , third and fourth  awaiting the  instalments from Lizilu -   getting that buz feeling now for sure
Post by: janeb on April 05, 2016, 03:38:39 PM
Hurrah, a holiday report on it's way. So looking forward to hearing about all the fun you will have.
 :) ;)
Post by: joycie on April 05, 2016, 07:35:57 PM
Oh Lizilu how wonderful. I'm so looking forward to your holiday reports. I've worked it out that we have roughly 153 days before we land in our most favourite place. During the intervening time I have four Barry Manilow concerts to attend two narrow boat trips so hopefully time will fly by to our glorious three weeks in Kalkan. We've also booked an overnight stay in Kekova this year so that should be different.
Post by: Babs on April 05, 2016, 08:57:05 PM
Never mind "with our permission" I expect nothing else Lizilu!  :laugh: so looking forward to your reports.......have a brilliant time!

And joycie........how lovely to hear from you......four Barry Manilow concerts???  ;D
Post by: joycie on April 05, 2016, 09:38:58 PM
Sorry not trying to distract from Lizzies thread but have been going to see Barry for nearly 40 years including America. Me and a group of now old girls used to do all the concerts. He's on his last tour this year supposedly. Well he is 73 and one of our Barry friends has passed away so we're kind of paying homage to Jane and of course remember all the laughs we've had along the way. Kalkan is my sanity at the end of it all.
Post by: Babs on April 05, 2016, 10:12:34 PM
Enjoy joycie.......and Lizilu!  :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 06, 2016, 12:29:36 AM
Oh the excitement of a holiday report....the first of 2016!!! Cannot wait to hear all about your stay, Lizilu.
Joycie, Barry may be 73 but someone forgot to tell his plastic surgeon :o. Love a bit of Manilow Magic but 4 concerts.....?!!! Wow, that's dedication or madness...not sure which  :-*
Post by: joycie on April 06, 2016, 08:08:35 AM
Bit of both I think. Really looking forward to Lizilus holiday report. Think I could probably do mine now except we didn't go to Hunkars last time and we intend to in September and we did intend to have an Indian , meal not person from East meets West but of course that's not there anymore. Still the excitement of finding new places still gets me every time I think of Kalkan.
Post by: Mayday1 on April 06, 2016, 10:25:36 AM
I am really looking forward to your reports lizilu.We are coming in late April and i'm looking forward to going to Suleyman's ( from fenner ) new restaurant  Pera.He ran Fenner very well so should be good.Also in Suleyman Yilmaz caddesi... Salonika and Botanik and a few other restaurants........its the small street after moonlight bar,on the left........very pretty and now thriving extremely well.

I understand Mustafa,from Alternatif has moved to a new terrace restaurant......by the post office i think.Not sure if he still has the one by the mosque.........or he has had to leave that site due to the re development plans
Post by: Chris_S on April 06, 2016, 10:32:17 AM
Now we know the season'd started - the first report!

Next thing we know, the boats will be in the water, the burglaries will increase, and tales of flippen-floppen, crocs, bargains in the market and reports of barely seen celebrities frequenting food and beverage establishments will intrude into our daily lives.

I can't wait!

Lizilu, we're waiting for the detailed account of the emotions as you round the bend on the D400 and see Kalkan for the first time this year.  Is there anyone who heart doesn't miss a beat there? (Maybe there should be a defibrillator by the roadside!)

Can anyone confirm Mustafa's move?  (Question asked on KTLN - awaiting answer from TC or someone).
Post by: Mayday1 on April 06, 2016, 11:19:06 AM
Yes Chris,he has definitely moved...........he has taken over the restaurant above Utopia bar...that was Moonstone restaurant Not 100 % sure if he has the original by the mosque.....but I know the new one is called Alternatif so I think the old one has closed........Mustafa should do very well on the new site....lovely views of the bay,  main street location,roof top terrace.

The only downside to the new site is that you need to be fit / mountaineer............there are a lot of steps leading up to it !!   ( see images on google of Utopia bar kalkan )
Post by: Haybo on April 06, 2016, 09:13:39 PM
Yay..this has really cheered me up.....can't wait for you to get there and tell us all about it!
Post by: Chris_S on April 07, 2016, 10:20:30 AM
Getting to the old Alternatif was easy, roller skates were the only thing that may have helped, though the ensuing rapid deceleration on arrival may have been hazardous!

The downside was the climb back to the top, though I confess, sometimes the stroll downwards for a taxi at Pirat, was often chosen as a cop-out!

We look forward to seeing Mustafa in his new location, I expect the rent saving may well get him another bedroom on his villa…
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 08, 2016, 12:37:31 PM
08/04/16

1 day 3 hours and 32 mins to go!

And I've such a lot to cram in! I've tried to be as prepared as I can but I'm failing miserably.

Firstly though, thanks All for your kind words. We are really looking forward to trying all the new restaurants etc too and re-visiting our old haunts too of course.

I'm trying to leave some home cooked food in for our stay at home daughter so she doesn't eat rubbish and call for takeaways every day so thought I'd make some soup. I  was awake at 06.30 am the other day in my pursuit of providing home cooked goodness and fortification and threw a carcass into the slow cooker with herbs, veg etc, ready to make stock to create a hearty and wholesome batch of soup to freeze later when I got home from work.
As I turned my key in the door I expected a waft of mouthwatering cooking smells to hit me  - but no? Just a hint maybe if I sniffed very hard? I soon discovered why. I'd only gone and set the slow cooker on warm instead of low (blurry eyes and no specs on) and seeing as I had no thermometer to check the temp I had to chuck the lot away! Don't want any salmonella prior to hols. All that effort for nothing. I still made the soup but had to resort to stock cubes instead. And this has been the story of my week really.

I should have packed last night but our youngest had a bit of a meltdown. She is really frightened of flying and suddenly got it into her head that we would be in danger from ISIS I think her friends have been scaremongering, as hysterical teenage girls do.  Poor girl, I can only imagine how she feels and I'm sure she's not alone either. I'm so glad to hear that TC has started advertising Turkey again on TV. Even my patients have been concerned for me these last few days when they've been asking me where I'm off to so hopefully this advertising will help people realise that travelling to Turkey is at no greater risk than travelling to Spain or France etc these days. So lots of cuddles and reassurance for her and a stiff Bacardi for me and I painted my nails instead. The piles of toiletries, knickers and other essentials were taunting me from my dressing table but I took another glug of my drink and felt quite liberated.

I've just another 2 hours to go at work then I can be outta this place and concentrate on the preparations good and proper! Today's list is

1. Take my Mum her tea and say our au revoir's.
2. Go to supermarket for food items for kid at home and doggy treats for Charlie (he's escaped prison this year)
3. Leisurely pack cases with glass of wine while OH rings for Indian takeaway.
4. Eat Indian takeaway, drink more wine and look forward to tomorrow.

Watch this space  ;D
Post by: BarbH on April 08, 2016, 02:06:34 PM
Safe jouney and have a great time,

Looking forward to hearinghow you misbehave ;)
Post by: RosiB on April 08, 2016, 05:32:47 PM
Have a fabulous time, Lizzie! xxx
Post by: suzyq1 on April 08, 2016, 09:39:03 PM
How exciting! Can't wait to read all about your holiday. You always manage to brighten up my day with your escapades  :)  Safe journey and have a wonderful time. :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 10, 2016, 02:06:51 PM
Sunday 10/04/16

Well we are almost in Kalkan, but not quite. We had a good flight yesterday and arrived in dalaman late last evening. I must say that easyjet  were brilliant and loved the speedy boarding.

We managed to relieve the flight attendants of lots of their stock of alcohol and duty free and an enjoyable flight was had by myself and O.H. Not so much by our youngest as she's petrified of flying but she did really well and we were very proud of her.
We were sitting behind some kalkan apartment/villa owners and nosey'd in a bit on their conversation with the guy sat next to them who was an owner too.  It was lovely hearing them talk about how much they loved Kalkan, we felt like kindred spirits as they were saying everything we think and feel about Kalkan too. We definitely felt the love on that flight and almost wished we'd not booked Fethiye first. What was weird too was that we were only a couple of rows away from our neighbours at home, who have an apartment between Calis and Fethiye. Small world.  :)
As we staggered down the walkway towards the taxis, with our arms laden with duty free, we heard a familiar voice shouting "Shaun Shaun", OH turned around wondering who was shouting him and there was Alper from Kaya/Ege rentals obviously doing a transfer. After big hugs and reminders for him to collect us from Fethiye on Tuesday we went our separate ways and chugged off down the D400.

So here we are at the Yacht Boutique and it's lovely. We have a family room overlooking the marina and as I'm writing this, I'm on the balcony, looking at that fab view of the boats bobbing in the calm harbour and listening to the snores of OH whose lunchtime Efes has had the desired soporific effect!  :)

The weather is also being kind to us too. We have spent the afternoon sunning ourselves by the pool after eating a hearty breakfast on the spectacular roof terrace. It was a sight for sore eyes and I seriously had to stop myself from being a complete pig. The tables were groaning with food but I merely had some cherry juice, a cappuccino and menemn and spicy garlicky mushrooms with some toast. Boy it was delicious. We then went for a hike to try and burn a few calories before collapsing by the pool.

Tonight we are off to Mancero for a meal with our neighbours so I shall feedback tomorrow with all the juicy details.  :)

Post by: littlebrowndog on April 10, 2016, 04:02:45 PM
We, too, arrived last night with Easyjet but headed straight for Kalkan.  Despite the warning from our taxi driver that rain was on its way we awoke to warm sunshine and blue skies.  Heavenly!  We await your news and Kalkan awaits you. Enjoy your time in Fethiye.
Post by: suzyq1 on April 10, 2016, 04:53:28 PM
Sounds like your holiday has got off to a good start.  :)
Whilst you have been looking out over pool and harbour views all I've seen all afternoon is the inside of my loft trying to sort through a sea of black bin bags full of old clothes and goodness knows what? I certainly know where I'd rather been.
Hope the good weather continues. Enjoy! 
Post by: joycie on April 10, 2016, 05:30:28 PM
When Bri was in hospital in Fethiye spent a lot of time walking up the beautiful front there. The Marina is lovely and always thought of Fethiye as the market and nothing else. Big mistake lovely place. Enjoy.
Post by: suziq on April 10, 2016, 06:46:17 PM
That's spooky suziq1 - suziq1 has also spent the weekend in the loft. The mice played havoc there while we spent a lovely 2 months in Kalkan!
Like others we hadn't realised how nice Fethyie was until this year. We loved the flat walk around the coast and there was a lot more buzz in February than in Kalkan.
Mancero is great.  We went there for my birthday this year. The steaks were to fie for. Enjoy Lizilu and keep posting to us poor folks stuck in the loft.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on April 10, 2016, 06:59:58 PM
Oh Lizzie, it sounds like you are having a fabulous time already, it's like we are there with you, sounds idealic! and not Envious in the slightest!!! just keep on posting, and can't wait to hear what you think of Mancero! we loved it and will definitely be returning in July!  :D :D :D :D
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 11, 2016, 03:30:08 PM
Holiday reports are like buses....you wait for one for ages then two come along at once.
Really looking forward to hearing about the rest of your stay in Fethiye - we also enjoy our days out there and often talk about staying for a night or two when we are in Kalkan, but never do....maybe one day.
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 11, 2016, 04:13:50 PM
Monday 11/04/16

We awoke to a grey dull sky this morning  :( we were expecting this though as I've been following accuweather for a while, but hoped they'd got it wrong. Sadly no, it's been rubbish and very cold and wet when the sun dodged behind the clouds but boiling and burning when it escaped the clouds clutches. We gorged ourselves at breakfast again, wellI did my best as I was somewhat delicate this morning. I even had to wear my sunglasses as the grey light even hurt my eyes. I never learn and I guess you know what's coming next  ::)

Last night we met up with our neighbours from home at Mancero Kitchen. This is a steakhouse on the sea front, partway between Calis beach and Fethiye. It was a good choice, the food was delicious, aged hung meat and so much choice. All tastes were catered for on the menu, not just meat. I can usually tell the quality of the food from the calamari starter which we usually go for.  If its rubbery then it's not a good sign for the rest of the meal, this calamari however melted in the mouth so I had high expectations and was not disappointed. My streak was delicious, perfectly cooked and the Demi glaze sauce was tasty. In fact we all thoroughly enjoyed the meal and it came to 613 TL for 7 of us. I have to say that despite good old Frances Jane from the Fethiye trip advisor forum always saying how expensive Kalkan is compared to. Fethiye, I have to shoot her down on that one as we feel that the prices are comparatively similar. Efes is between 10-12 TL so we shall see. Maybe I'm wrong.
Anyway, the wine and cocktails were flowing, as was my tongue and a jolly good time was had by all. We watched the sun setting across the bay and it was just lovely. How could we refuse an offer for a nightcap back at their apartment? Ok, fast forward to our goodbyes and as I elegantly (in my mind) traversed the pathway with ornamental stones lining the way, those bloody stones seemed to move and zig zag so much that I somehow ended up exclaiming "Shaun I'm falling"! And in the next breath apparently "Shaun I've fallen" and shouting up to our friends "Man down"! So OH and the very concerned taxi guy scooped me up and threw me in the taxi and our daughter hung her head in shame...as usual!  ::) ::)

Today, OH contemplated climbing mount Babadag, but seeing as it was raining he decided  upon an Efes malt instead!  8)
Post by: Babs on April 11, 2016, 05:08:46 PM
Phew......that's the fall out of the way then!  ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on April 11, 2016, 05:28:01 PM
Another fab post Lizzie, keep them coming, but not the falls! sorry to hear of your little slip, but sounds like you had a fab evening at Mancero! just reading about your steaks is making my mouth water!  :D
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 11, 2016, 06:07:14 PM
Sounds like you've got off to a typical Lizilu start  ;D ;D ;D I hope there was no lasting damage - to you or the ornamental stones :laugh:
Our three would sympathise with your daughter....I tell them our sole purpose in life is to embarrass them, particularly as we get older and are less worried what people think.
Looking forward to the next post....almost as much as I look forward to a glass of champagne after a long hard week in work.
Post by: Babs on April 11, 2016, 06:12:22 PM
Quite right K4E, kids of any age just don't understand that it is on a parents job description to embarrass them.......it's our primary purpose in life!
Just been looking at the forecast Lizilu, the su is putting his hat back on tomorrow and normal service will be resumed......have fun in the sun!  :laugh:
Post by: janeb on April 11, 2016, 06:34:16 PM
 :) what a start, the weather sounds uncertain, the food wonderful, the alcohol seems to be flowing all sounds practically perfect! Except the unexpected trip of course - hopefully the only one for this holiday.  Great report, sorry but I did chuckle as you described your little trip! Keep safe, looking forward to hearing all about your adventures.
Post by: Haybo on April 11, 2016, 09:37:40 PM
Oh Lizzie what a giggle! Glad you are ok! Off to the happiest place on earth though tomorrow right? Ooh..just read your mate Jonny Depp has moved to new digs by Salonika...look forward to a picture!
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 12, 2016, 03:24:02 PM
Tuesday 12/04/16

And we are here! Yippee  8)

Another feast for breakfast on the beautiful roof terrace, with a view over the marina at the yacht boutique hotel. The sun was shining thankfully after yesterday's atrocious weather and we filled our faces, knowing that the next time we ate we would be in Kalkan.

Yesterday we wandered about aimlessly between the showers. We managed to revisit our old haunts and spent a lovely but cold and breezy afternoon on the harbour, snuggled up in blankets, sipping wine and watching the world go by. We had had a good hike around Fethiye, slipping and sliding in the fish market (the floor was like a river) and snaking around the paspatur, me wanting to peruse every bag shop and OH wanting to peruse the price of Efes!

We got talking to a chap as we passed by his shop who asked us to stop and chat as he wanted to know what was going on at home and why English people did not like Turkey anymore. He sat me down in a plastic chair and before you could blink, another chap arrived armed with apple tea and laden with Turkish delight for us. He was a lovely bloke who was very emotional about all the current issues and gave us such a warm welcome. We felt like we,d made a friend for life by the time we'd finished our tea and put the word to rights.

Last night was fab. The weather wasn't though and we heard a rumour that it was snowing in Olu Deniz! We didn't wander too far and started with a drink at the deep blue bar in the paspatur. We ate in a quirky restaurant called Agora. "There's one of those in Kalkan" we all chirped up. It was up hundreds of steps (or so it seemed) and OH held on to me well, frightened I would clatter down them, and ended up in what seemed like someone's front room. Oh it was lovely and traditional, only Turkish people in there and a violinist and drummer playing tunes from fiddler on the roof. Hang on, fiddler on the roof? Jewish? Yes, Muslims playing Jewish music? So tell me, all those people scaremongering at home and we were Christians being treated like royalty listening to Muslims playing Jewish music. I'm not a bit political but there was definitely some diversity and equality going on in that lovely restaurant last night and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute. We went for a nightcap or two at the deep blue bar and then back to the hotel for our last sleep before Kalkan. There was an abandoned shopping trolley outside Telmessos gold and OH had to restrain me from climbing in as I desperately tried to convince him to push my weary self home!  ;D

Post by: brian j p on April 12, 2016, 03:46:52 PM
Great report Lizzie

re " all those people scaremongering at home and we were Christians being treated like royalty listening to Muslims playing Jewish music. I'm not a bit political but there was definitely some diversity and equality going on "

Could not agree more::   that is the Turkey I have always known,   not the twisted  British Press versions we tend to hear of late:
Post by: Bob & Jayne on April 12, 2016, 03:55:57 PM
Yes Lizzie what a fab report  :D, and it sounded like a fab farewell evening in Fethiye you all had, and now I (and am sure everyone else reading this) are looking forward to your holiday blog from our favourite place in the sun! xxx  8) 8) 8)
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 13, 2016, 02:52:32 PM
Wednesday 13/04/16

And what a beautiful day it is today. The sun is cracking the flags as we say in Lancashire and we've had a lovely lazy day, but let me tell you about yesterday and our transfer to Kalkan.

Alper picked us up from the yacht boutique hotel and transferred us safely here to the apartment. The journey was smooth and lovely to see in the daylight for a change. We drove past fields of Spring flowers and greenhouses bursting with ripe and juicy tomatoes and before we knew it we were hitting the brow of the hill and suddenly, in all its splendour was Kalkan, the sweeping bay we all love, the sight that always generates a lump in my throat and instantly relaxes my anxious muscles. We are home again.

We settled ourselves in, Alper and Halil (or Tommy Lee as we call him as he bears a striking resemblance to Tommy Lee Jones) with no more than a glance, effortlessly chucked our cases on their shoulders and sprinted up the steps and we were here in our lovely home for the next 10 days or so. The apartment is fab, fab, fab (thank you RosiB and yelkenite) and soon we were unpacked and enjoying our first glass of wine on the balcony, all excited about where we were going to eat that night. So many friends to see and places to visit!

We ended up shattered, after too many glasses of wine on that balcony,  at the marina restaurant, eating delicious steaks and catching up with our marina friends. George is absent for now but will be back next week.

We returned, tummies full to busting to some news from home. Our dog has eaten OH's tax return! Apparently he is pining for us and has only eaten a sparrows portion of his doggy food, even turning his nose up at his favourite treats,so it's reassuring he still hates the postman.  ;D

We were weary and  I was sprawled out on the bed, too tired for a shower and counting my bruises form my little 'stumble' the other night when I heard our daughter shout "where's the dirty bag?" (Meaning the bag with dirty washing) "she's in the bedroom"I heard OH reply!!! And we all cracked up, so happy to be home in Kalkan once again.  :)
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 13, 2016, 03:30:46 PM
Great report! me and your OH would get along! ;D ;D
Post by: RosiB on April 13, 2016, 03:59:10 PM
Oh, Shaun!!!!
Glad all is going well, Lizzie. Keep having fun! xx
Post by: Babs on April 13, 2016, 04:04:42 PM
 ;D ;D
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on April 14, 2016, 01:06:23 PM
Just had a chuckle to this sat at my desk at work.  My colleagues wondered what was going on.
J
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 14, 2016, 02:42:44 PM
 ;D ;D ;D :laugh:
That made me laugh out loud! Lizilu AKA the dirty bag.
So glad you have arrived safely in Kalkan and looking forward to hearing all about your stay. Hopefully you'll venture down to the harbour soon and let us know what you think. Seaport should be open shortly, although it looks from the photos on KTLN that Phase 2 is creating a bit of a mess for the new places to contend with. Unusual that Fener isn't open yet, but perhaps that's also to do with the building works.
Hopefully there are enough places open for eating and drinking during your stay. Keep posting...I'm hanging on every word :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 14, 2016, 03:25:56 PM
Thursday 14/04/16

And loving the Kalkan life.

Yesterday we awoke bright and early with the sun streaming in, birds twittering, dogs a barkin' and diggers diggin'. There is quite a bit of construction work going on in kalamar at the sea front. I'm presuming it's the new massive hotel and apartments that I believe wil be ready next year. From the balcony we can  just about see the the roof tops in the distance.

We decided we would stroll along to cafe vita for breakfast and pick up a few bits from Yali express next door, after having a little photographic trip around our friends newly lain lawn. Lawn was looking good apart from a pink tinge around the edges. Before we left for Kalkan, my phone case bust and I got a cheapie one but it's too deep and hence all my phone pics have an unwanted special effect! I'm sure you lot that are my friends on Facebook will have realised this already!
Anyway, cafe vita was closed so after picking up our bits and bats, we settled ourselves in at the Yelken Bistro for brekkie.
It was brunch I suppose really, so OH plumped for a burger, daughter had a chicken burger and I had a very healthy scrambled eggs on toast with roasted tomatoes. It was delicious and the ambience is lovely. The fire is all but forgotten and to be honest it looks even better than before, with an extended relaxed seating area.  :)

We then decided to relax around the pool and let our milky bods absorb some vitamin D. Oh it felt good to be in the sun again and by the time it got to 4pm ish I was chilled, relaxed and starving so I ate my body weight in ruffles crisps and had to swill them down with a glass of wine or two - all good intentions through the window...again!  8)

Last night we walked into town again and took in a few details for the team.  :)
The Asfiya (as previously mentioned on here) is kind of no more. In its place are 3 shells of new builds, I really cannot image that they will be ready in time for this season as they are just in breeze black form. At the moment very unsightly and a bit of a blot on the landscape, however in true Kalkan form, I'm sure they will look beautiful when finished. We are told they will be apartments. We shall see. Johnnys (Ibo's) was deserted but his signs are still there. Sadly Asian Garry looks derelict with even the metal railings removed and there looks to be work going on in chillies. No Kalkan kebab on the corner, it looked derelict too. Hunker seems to have had a makeover and looks quite posh.

We changed some money at the phone shop (rate 3.80  >:( >:() and dined in the lovely Kaya. We had delicious food and perfect company with the 'boys'. We stayed there for most of the night, laughing, joking and catching up with them. I was drinking their famous pomegranate juice with a slug of gin and it was like the juice of the Gods! Food was as good and reasonable as ever. In fact OH said that his kofte were the best he's ever tasted. I had the lambs liver and daughter had chicken sis. We all cleared our plates. Kadir gave us an improptu magic show - a trip down memory lane, the first trick he ever learned, the first trick he ever showed us all those years ago and some of his present day stuff. He is so talented.

We were going to go home to bed but the pull of black and gold was too strong. We wandered down a deserted old town - it's really quiet- and plonked ourselves at the bar. After hugs and welcomes and a new VIP card we sampled some of Burak and Rabiya's new extremely fancy and intricate cocktails. I had a pretty lady - a marvellous creation of a foaming bathtub with all sorts of delicacies surrounding it, each one placed delicately with tweezers. It was delicious. We chatted for ages - we were the only ones in - and put the world to rights yet again, rolled into a taxi and to bed. The end of a perfect day.  :)
Post by: Babs on April 14, 2016, 06:28:25 PM
Oh it does sound like you're having a lovely time. :angel:
I had noticed the substandard quality of your photos.......get yourself a nice fake mulberry one and everything will look better!  ;D
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 15, 2016, 04:01:02 PM
Friday 15th April

First of all thanks so much for all your kind  comments. I really appreciate your feedback :-*

Today we awoke to cloudier skies and mossie bites from hell!
I was complacent packing this year and didn't bother with the repellant, thinking that it wouldn't be needed. Oh boy, never again.

Yesterday was a hot one! It was so hot around the pool that I actually swam! It did take me about 30 mins, gingerly dipping my toes in, then inching my calves in, then abandoning the mission, then trying the jacuzzi, then the baby pool then finally going for it...and I did it!!! 12 lengths then had to be rescued with the kiss of life, well a glass of wine really but I was very proud of myself.

Yesterday was also Thursday and what do we kalkaners do on a Thursday - we go to the market! Same old, same old but it has to be done. I was really looking for a phone case but ended up with cumin, lamb spice and 3 DVD's.  ;D oh and stuffed our faces with delicious gozleme too.  :)

As previously mentioned, we relaxed around the pool in the afternoon. Am I the only person with weird ears on this planet? Because try as I may, I cannot find earphones to fit my ears. I spent what seemed like hours, trying them one way, then the other, upside down, inside out until I threw them on the floor in a hissy fit and kind OH rooted through our cases and found me a poxy Thomas cook set that we had had for decades, which did the job perfectly. Trouble was, it was our teenage daughters playlist on shuffle and it made me feel hyper rather than relaxed. Talking of said child, I think I've either brought a vampire or Kevin the teenager with us on holiday. We see her at lunchtime, dragging her weary body to the kitchen in search of sustenance and then again maybe for an hour around the pool  ::)

Last night we ate at the brothers restaurant which is near can can supermarket and it was really good. Traditional food with a posh twist and quite reasonable too. We were quite tired and decided to go home rather than into town and watch one of our new DVD,s. I think I saw the opening credits and that was me gone! What is it about holidays that are so tiring?
So glad we get to do it all again for a few more days though.  :)
Post by: joycie on April 15, 2016, 04:33:22 PM
Know what you mean about headphones. I watch people listening to music on their I phones looking so cool. Well my headphones simply do not fit my ears even if they've got an L and an R on them and I've got them in the correct ears.
Thanks for a fab report roll on September.
Post by: janeb on April 15, 2016, 06:17:58 PM
So enjoy reading your reports, hearing all about our favourite place is wonderful, throw in some humour, sunshine, bars visited, restaurants enjoyed - all just perfect. Thank you so much.  :) :)
Post by: Babs on April 15, 2016, 07:15:07 PM
I'm with you regards earphones....the most uncomfortable thing ever designed. I tried to wear them in the gym once and they kept falling out, so I had to stop going to the gym!  ;D only joking!
Keep,up the good work Lizilu......I'm loving the consistency, I look on here early evening and there it is....your post!  :laugh:
Post by: Bob & Jayne on April 16, 2016, 07:04:13 AM
Lizilu, just catching up on here, what fab reports as usual, sounds like your all having an amazing time, we are loving the photos.  Re the headphones, yes I totally agree, the most painful uncomfortable things ever, I can never keep them in, we have these ungainly ones that wrap round the ears like a coil, so hence I don't wear them! The market, well it has to be done, and glad you have restocked your spices.  Waiting very patiently to hear re our favourite passtime, (Bags) have you ventured in, or are they not open at yet.  If you do, just be careful and don't order one in every colour and size!!!!!

The Brothers Restaurant sounds fab too, will definitely be giving that a go in the summer.

Enjoy your day and we look forward to reading about your next adventure  :D :D :D

J&B xxx
Post by: Chris_S on April 16, 2016, 12:40:54 PM
Please don't get me going on headphones - I'll only end up making people angry with some hard facts about the hardware… :angel:
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 16, 2016, 02:53:34 PM
Saturday 16/04/16

Yesterday was a little bit hazy but very warm. Both OH and I awoke with horrendous mossie bites, well I had two but they were itching horrendously! OH had about 22!!!
As I was making the bed, an enormous mossie flew out from under OH's sheets and I managed to splat it. The little critter was lazy and fat from gorging itself overnight and when I squished it, it looked like there had been a murder. Horrible creatures.

We also awoke to texts from our daughter who is alone at home (eldest is OH's girl so lives with her mum). The freezer was making strange noises so in this day of modern technology, she was able to face time us and show us the problem. So with help from our wonderful neighbour, problem was sorted. It was a build up of ice on the fan apparently.

Breakfast yesterday was in the apartment which is very well equipped and we had OH's speciality dish of Chucky eggs and soldiers. The Turkish eggs are so much richer and tastier than eggs at home but sadly due to being used to our supermarket sterility, I don't relish cleaning the poo off them before boiling. Our daughter has no idea of this as she was still in her bat cave.

We lay around the pool yesterday and chatted to our Yelken neighbours, lovely friendly bunch, tottered off to vita for beer and chips and did little else really. Apart from stocking up on 'OFF' mossie repellant from the supermarket. OH prefixed the 'OFF' with an unmentionable word from the English language as he struggled to stop scratching long enough to pay the bill!  ::)

Last night we walked into town and headed for hunkar and oh it was good and oh I ate far too much as usual. Prices have gone up there but it was still reasonable and delicious. We ended our night in Kaya, playing connect 4 and getting beaten by the boys despite our best efforts of 3 against 1, too tired to continue down the hill for cocktails, but we intend to do a trip down to the harbour tonight.

I'm just looking out onto mouse and snake as I type this, the sea is azure and there's a slight breeze wafting the scents of orange blossom into the apartment. I have a Bacardi on my left hand side and my family to my right and life is good.  :)
Post by: Haybo on April 16, 2016, 03:05:41 PM
Life does in fact sound good! Would you believe it was SNOWING when I got up this morning! It didn't amount to much but now it's sunny and freezing.  Watching the webcam earlier, there is definitely a sense that Kalkan is waking fromits winter slumber.  There are handbags ( come on woman, get yourself in Simply Chic, you pass it walking into town for heavens sake) in the display cabinet in the Mulberry shop and they have put the currency exchange board out...3.8 what's all that about!!  There were even some people about.  Looking forward to seeing you guys on there before you head home!
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 16, 2016, 03:36:21 PM
Haybo look out for  us about 7.30 ish tonight (Turkish time)! As for simply chic, she's been shut every time I've walked past.  :)
Post by: Haybo on April 16, 2016, 03:44:05 PM
will try...message me when you get near! Good luck with the other bag shops.....brain gone dead cant remember name of one opposite Merkez! Nice guy....
Post by: Chris_S on April 17, 2016, 01:24:42 PM
Might be BSG.

But then, it's been a few months since I put all the carrier bags in recycling…
Post by: Haybo on April 17, 2016, 02:05:50 PM
Thats the one!
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 17, 2016, 03:22:36 PM
Sunday 17/04/16

Hard to believe that we've been in TUrkey over a week now! Amazing how time flies and the days seem so short when you're on holiday.

Yesterday was very warm, with a lovely breeze, a perfect drying day, only I couldn't be bothered to wash. With hindsight I wish I had as today has been extremely muggy and everything feels damp. I've really struggled  to dry our smalls today.  ;D

We breakfasted on the balcony. OH,s turn and he made ham, tomato, feta and onion on crusty bread. It was delicious. 2 coffees later and we were good to go, only again, we couldn't be bothered to go anywhere.  So a morning around the pool it was. We had contemplated having a mooch into town to go and recce the harbour in daylight and catch up on the progress. We will be hiring a car from tomorrow onwards, so we decided to leave it until then.

Before we knew it, it was time for lunch and it was decided that we would dine at cafe vita. Our daughters choice - this was really breakfast for her - I think that her days must really fly by as she only sees a few daylight hours! It fit the bill as usual and my omelette, OH's chicken cheeseburger and daughters tuna sandwich didn't touch the sides. Of course we had to accompany this with their 'world famous chips'. The chips are undeniably good but they do have a few rivals these days. The chips in the brothers restaurant the other night were amazing!

So we schlepped back to the pool for round two of a lazy day. I observed a fellow Yelkener dive gracefully in the pool and swim and float like it was as warm as a bath. I felt such a wimp as it took me all my time just to dip my feet in the baby pool!

Yesterday afternoon was all about the birds and the bees, in every sense of the word. The wasps and bees were terrorising me and my nerves were on edge, only calming down as I watched  the birds dive down to the pool, playfully dipping their wings in the water and flying over to the arbour behind us. As OH gallantly turned our sun beds to follow the sun, we were face on to the arbour and oh my! Those birdies were at it like rabbits! Another first for me on this holiday, explaining to our daughter literally about the birds and the bees! They certainly weren't bashful!  :o

Last night we headed into town, did our duty to the webcam ( we would have waved Haybo but it was really quiet and I was overcome by stage fright  :) and doubled back to Mussakka.
Not to keep harping on about it, but Mehmet was really worried about tourism this year, not just for his business, but for Kalkan in general. We reassured as best we could and told him about some of the cheaper flights and that how Turkey was hopefully being advertised again at home and he was genuinely a little relieved.
Well it was as delicious as ever and the bill certainly didn't seem unreasonable. It was 260 TL for one starter to share, 3 mains, a bottle of rose, soft drinks, water and a beer. Guess what I had?  ??? Yup, a main size (more like man size) portion of the creamy chicken livers which is usually a starter but I love it so much! OH had mixed grill which he said was delicious and batgirl had a mild chicken arrabiata.

We finished the night off at black and gold again. Burak wowed us with his cocktails yet again (the beach and mine and Jayne's nemesis - Capt. Jack sparrow although the man size figure has so far evaded my clutches) and we had fun teaching him some we have at home called franco's. He had never heard of them but mastered them immediately. They are really tricky to assemble, a layer of JD, amaretto and baileys and knocked back like a shot. We have never mastered the layers at home but have had many hours of fun trying to! We also had lots of fun sampling them last night too.

And so we rolled home after another brilliant day and night in our favourite place on earth.  :)
Post by: Haybo on April 17, 2016, 04:53:29 PM
Another great report, making doing nothing sound so very very busy! I heard a rumour Cpt Jack was on the road down to Botanik....maybe cocktails there tonight will reveal his location! My friend loved seeing the webcam...KK excitement is definitely building. 
Post by: Babs on April 17, 2016, 05:55:01 PM
Sigh........
A few more cocktails and maybe you will be reunited with Captain Jack!
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 18, 2016, 03:51:16 PM
Monday 18/04/16

What fabulous weather we are having in Kalkan at the mo. It feels more like the heat of summer, and very different than a week ago when we were freezing in Fethiye.  :o
As I write this, my phone says 22 degrees C, not bad for nearly 5pm on an April afternoon.  8)

Yesterday was another scorcher and I won't bore you with the sunbathing details, other than I nearly fell off my lounger as I started reading my new Airport bargain holiday read. OH and batgirl were rushing me round WHSmiths "you've got your kindle, you don't need any books". Well I know, but I still like a paperback around the pool, otherwise it wouldn't feel like holiday. Anyway, I grabbed the latest Marian Keyes and it was buy one, get one half price. Due to them rushing me so they could get to the posh lounge and enjoy the freebies, I just picked up one off a stand called Maestra that said on the blurb and I quote, 'the talented Mr Ripley meets gone girl in this darkly decadent and compelling new thriller'. This will be a cracker, I thought as I'm partial to a good thriller.
All I can say is it's more like 'sex and the city meets 50 shades of grey in this pure filth and don't touch with a barge pole if you're easily offended'  ;D talk about don't judge a book by its cover. I keep reading another chapter though.  ;)

So yesterday it was tost, toasted for breakfast. I can't make my mind up if I love or hate this sweet bread (a bit like my top shelf book) but our daughter loves it and it was all we had.
Lunch was at the Yelken bistro and I had an amazing salad of grilled halloumi and roast veg. A num num burger for OH and chicken wrap for batgirl. It's a lovely restaurant and I'm sure they will do well this season.

We walked down into town (as we have done every night  :angel:) mainly to try to keep the dreaded pounds off. I mean pounds of unwanted flesh, not money that is. Although the taxi prices are definitely much better this year. Approx 10 TL from town. Just under from taxi rank and just over from the marina. It's a pleasant walk this time of year and my knees have been behaving themselves thank goodness.
There's a new restaurant opening called Porcini, on the corner where the old boat is plonked, just as you get to the steep part of the hill on kalamar road and they are busy painting and generally tittivating it. The smell of paint is definitely in the air right now.
So we stopped off at Kaya for a drink and a chat and carried on down the road to Salonica ( briefly giving the webcam a wink as we sashayed by).
It was very busy at Salonica last night and we were lucky to get a table and I know why. It was fab! Delicious food, good service and very reasonable, approx 150 TL for the 3 of us. There was traditional live music and the ambience was brilliant. Best of all, out of the corner of my eye I spied an old friend, none other than Capt jack sparrow!!!! He was holding a toilet roll holder that said 'toilets' and an arrow so seeing as we needed a tinkle weheaded in his direction..and found ourselves in a fab shop that sold, for want of better words, trinkets and oddities. A real little quirky curiosity shop, so doubled around and guessed that Capt jack was teasing us. We started up the hill but ended up in the restaurant kitchen, definitely not the right way, but eventually found the loos inside the restaurant. Doh! Why didn't we think of that in the first place! And what fantastic toilets they are. Beautifully bedecked in wild flowers and soft hand towels. Honestly it's worth going just for a peek in the gorgeous toilets. You won't be disappointed and it's a restaurant we will definitely visit again.

So after a brilliant meal, we headed off down this gorgeous little street, reminiscent of old town Greece and turkey before the repatriation, to the botanik bar and did no more than climb the treehouse!
It was swaying a bit, but then, so was I and I ran up there like a mountain goat! It was fab! There is even a little bell to summon drinks when you've supped up! Botanik bar is a credit to Namuk. It's a beautiful organic and truly botanical experience. Even infused herbs are used in the cocktails rather than synthetic versions. He was showing us his herbs and describing how he makes his own bitters. He said that if he doesn't do well in the next two months he will have to close so we wished him all the luck in the world and really hope he is there in August. That bar is a labour of love for him and a truly special place. I hope he does well this season.

So today. Well I'm pleased to report that we've finally been for a recce round the harbour and I'll report back tomorrow on that. We were having a chat to Capt Abdi from Piña X and he told us that the boats are going back in tomorrow so hopefully your roving reporter Lizilu20 will be there to witness it and feedback all the action.  :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on April 18, 2016, 04:20:29 PM
Laughing til the end of your blog Lizzie, you have certainly cheered up my dreary Monday back at work in the freezing cold weather we have again today! So many lovely restaurants to try again, Salonica to name but one! so glad that you have managed to track down Captain Jack as well! Lucky you be able to witness the boats going back in tomorrow, I bet it will be fantastic to watch, have your camera at the ready! I hope that Namuk at Botanik does well, we really love it there too as you know!!

Look forward to tomorrow's instalment.   :D 8) 8) 8) :D
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 18, 2016, 04:47:07 PM
Wow!
Been under the radar for a few days and got to read four smashing posts in one sitting :) I really feel as though I'm there with you. Go and see my best friend the chemist he will sort you out with something for those bites...are they not just the world's most horrible insects?
Cant wait to try a few of the places you mentioned, fingers (and everything) crossed for the businesses this year - especially those who have paid out a king's ransom for the harbour units (only to find they need to sort out their own waste pipes..).
How lucky are you with the weather - how fab that you have had lots of sunshine as it can be changeable this early in the year. Make the most of it, its pretty cold back in blighty - still haven't ditched the black opaques. Botanik offers something different in Kalkan, so I hope things pick up for them...hopefully the new businesses and  more interest in this part of Kalkan will impact positively on their place.
I sense a Bridget Jones style report from the waters-edge tomorrow - be careful :)
Post by: samson on April 18, 2016, 06:14:06 PM
any noticeable lack of dogs by the roundabout ?  >:(
Post by: Haybo on April 18, 2016, 06:15:34 PM
Oh that did make me chuckle...the mountain goat bit reminded me of Jayne climbing into the back of the jeep last year..i think i used a similar phrase!
Post by: Babs on April 18, 2016, 07:24:57 PM
Salonica sounds great, definitely on the list for later this year  :laugh:
Please, please, please everyone visit Botanik while you are in Kalkan, we love this bar just as we did their first place on the roof top.......a very special chilled vibe......would hate to see it go  :(
Post by: Kalkan regular on April 18, 2016, 07:39:32 PM
The problem with Botanic Garden is that if you don't know it's there you can miss it. The top street was revitalised last year with the addition of Salonica and other restaurants added this year should help Botanic's business if he can hang on. I know I recommended it to lots of people staying in our development last year, some of whom come every year but they didn't know it was there. When they visited they all loved it and visited it lots.
Post by: Holidaylover28 on April 18, 2016, 08:39:31 PM
Ooo how lovely, these reports are just fab! glad you liked Salonica, we ate there a couple of times last year and loved it. Have any of the other new restaurants opened down that lane yet?
Oh no please don't close Botanic we love it there and want to be using it in June! i wanted to try out some non-alcoholic cocktails as it will be a dry holiday for me this time  :)
keep up the fab work Lizilu
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 19, 2016, 08:45:31 AM
Tuesday 19/04/16

Well yesterday was a doing day at last!

We picked up the car and headed off to the bank to use the card machine. Another first for us as we usually go inside, so it was with trepidation that we waved goodbye to our card as the machine greedily sucked it in (I've been reading my book again  :o) but all was well and as if by magic we pressed a button, it spoke to us in English and dished out the readies! Yippee (we don't get out much do we!).

We then headed off to town for a good mooch and some breakfast. We parked up on cardiac hill - loads of spaces unlike summer where parking is a bit of a free for all, and had our stroll. We started out at the marina and had a chat with Mario then made our way along, passing by aubergine and trio etc, so far so good, it all looks the same and the greeters were greeting but very politely and no pressure. As we got by yakamoz we started to see the new builds and they are actually looking good and hopefully not too far off being finished. Seaport's sign is out and there is furniture and equipment inside all stacked up, ready for the grand opening. A little further along, behind the beach doesn't look too good. They've cordoned the area off (although you can still access the beach) and the top road by sunset (that was ) and kaptans was hanging precariously, it's bowels propped up by metalwork and concrete and still lots of work to be done. What struck me as the most sad was seeing fener abandoned, looking desolate. Fener was always a constant for us at Easter and We've really missed our breakfast/brunches there these past few days.  :(
Did I mention earlier that another constant Isn't open yet - no Ali Baba's soup kitchen!  :o although I have been reliably informed that it will be opening by the start of the season.

We headed on up to cafe Leon and had the most delicious breakfast. Full monty for OH and a Turkish for me. We both agreed that they were one of the best we've had. No breakfast down town for batgirl, unusually she wasn't cocooned in her room, she was studiously poring over her revision as she has exams when we get back. I don't know who she takes after as both OH and I are very easily led and given the choice would not be sat in the apartment with our work. I am very proud of her and we did take her plenty of goodies back.

We then headed off with full tummies, to stretch our legs and have a mooch around the harbour and the boats in dry dock. The smell of paint and varnish was in the air and most were looking shipshape and Bristol fashion. This is where we bumped into Abdi who told us about them being put back in the water today. I do hope we manage to see some of it.
We finished off where we started, in the marina and I had a very refreshing 'Muslim mojito' as described by mario! This was a delicious glass of homemade lemonade infused with herbs. There was another chap there waiting for his wife and mario attempted to introduce us, "meet my good friends Shaun and Sophie" , he said. I looked around for Sophie, then realised he meant me. "No mario, I'm Elizabeth", "ah yes, sorry, meet Sophie Elizabeth"  ;D
We then heard a scuttle and a tortoise shot out from nowhere, it was like usain bolt. Honestly I've never in my life seen a tortoise move so quickly! "It is because he is angry" he said as the tortoise scuttled towards OH's tootsies, OH's face took on a worried look, Mario  then produced a head of lettuce leaves. The tortoise greedily munched away, "see he is angry" ahhh hungry!!!! Lost in translation!
I asked if the tortoise had a name, "George Colin Jaffa" he proclaimed. "Oooh that a posh name" I said, George Colin Jaffa wow! No said Mario, "George, he call him Jaffa" so that cleared that one up! Oh we did laugh!!!

I then spent the afternoon laid out on a sunbed and actually managed another dip in the pool while OH went for a shave. He tried a new barber and was a bit alarmed when the barber's hand reached out and caressed OH's tummy and whispered "honey" in his ear. OH quickly jumped up to make his excuses and leave when he realised that he had a bee/waspy thing stuck on his Tshirt! They then had a bit of a frenzied dance while the barber swatted the critter! I wished I had seen that!

Last evening, we dined at the Yelken bistro and it was really delicious. I had creamy garlic chicken, OH leg of lamb and our daughter plumped for tagliatelle. She was disappointed with hers as she thought (goodness knows why) that it would come in a tomato sauce, but it was creamy, so she picked and piked and the waiter spotted this and before we knew it, he replaced it with an identical dish but with tomato sauce instead of cream. How fantastic is that! They didn't even charge us for the first one. Typical Turkish hospitality.
My evening as a little eventful - my temporary filling fell out but no pain thank goodness. I just feel as though I've got a crater the size of a black hole in my tooth and I can't stop poking it with my tongue. I may have to pay a visit to Cenk the dentist but I'm hoping I can last out until we get home.

Today our friends are arriving from Fethiye. They are staying at the kalamar hotel for a night and we wine to to check this out yesterday. Wow it's fab. The restaurant looks directly out into the sea with floor to ceiling glass windows and the infinity pool and jacuzzi are a work of art! I can't wait to spend a bit of time there.
Our friends have never been to Kalkan so I can't wait to show off our beautiful little town.
See you all later...  8)

Post by: Blue Lizard on April 19, 2016, 09:18:49 AM
Excellent read for a way to start the morning off!   but I'm afraid if a Hairdresser rubbed my tum and said Honey, I'd have been out the door and up the road Bee thingy or not! :o :o
Post by: tonye1960 on April 19, 2016, 10:31:37 AM
Hi,
Thanks for these reports , they are great. We are coming to Kalkan for the first time at the beginning of July, and staying close to where you are. We also have a daughter of similar age and habits as yours lol. Great to get an insight into the are around where we are staying , and information on restaurants. thank you again.
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 19, 2016, 11:31:48 AM
Another fab report, Lizilu. Lots of good chuckle points....! Glad you have taken a stroll down at the harbour and reported back on how it looks....I suppose its work in progress and time will tell if this work has improved what Kalkan has to offer. Loved the look of Kalamar Hotel, we are definitely going to call in there on one of our epic walks this year...wonder if its open for non-residents?
I remember one year when our girls were younger the eldest used to want to stay in when we went out exploring - as she had "Uni work" to do...turns out she was just on her smartphone downloading...oohh just about anything as we got a bill from O2 for £600 :o :o. Not saying Batgirl is as daft as our supposedly "clever one" and it was the days before anyone knew about data roaming...!!
Keep them coming, loving your holiday, vicariously...
Post by: Charlie on April 19, 2016, 12:28:39 PM
I wouldn't hold off getting the tooth filled.  Cenk is brilliant and he'll probably charge less than half of what you'll pay if you wait until you get home.  Loving the reports, thank you!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on April 19, 2016, 03:21:55 PM
Well today's blog is certainly a cracker Lizzie! I have just laughed all the way through it, fabulous! I've heard good reports about Cenk, and as you know if I am brave enough will be making an appointment for the summer for me to pay a visit! Dentists not being my favourite passtime! hope you get your tooth sorted and it doesn't give you any pain while on holiday. As for the Barber experience, well I would have loved to have been a fly (or bee) on the wall too and witnessed that!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. Sounds like you had a great day.  Look forward to reading tomorrow's episode, have a great time with your friends showing them around Kalkan today.  The Kalamar Hotel looks and sounds fantastic, imagine they will love it there. x
Post by: suzyq1 on April 19, 2016, 08:48:27 PM
Hi Lizilu, Just had a mammoth catch up. Thanks so much for taking the time to report back to all us "Kalkan starved" members! Your blog always puts a smile on my face. Keep up the good work  :) :) 
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 20, 2016, 09:18:13 AM
Wednesday 20/04/16

And I'm nursing the hangover from hell  :(

We had a fab day yesterday but I don't remember much about it as it was all very hazy.

The sun was shining brilliantly, another glorious day. We've been so lucky with the weather this year. Just that one bad day in Fethiye. We brunched downstairs in the Yelken bistro before going to meet our friends.
OH had a big teacake/roll/barm/bap depending where you are from. In the part of Lancashire where we live its most definitely a teacake, and no it doesn't have currants in, that's a currant tea cake  ;D any way I digress, his teacake was stuffed full with bacon and sausages and looked delicious. I wanted some menemen but it wasn't on the menu, no problem - they made me menemen and it was really delicious, one of the best ever.
Our daughter had pancakes and Nutella and oh they did look good. I had to have a taste and they were amazing. Thick, fluffy and sweet with a dusting of icing sugar. I asked for some butter for my toast and it seemed to take them a while. The waiter apologised for the delay, they had no bananas in the kitchen??? But they would get one here as soon as possible. I told him I had asked for butter not a banana, "no problem" he said, you can have butter and banana and we saw another member of the team pull up in his car with a bunch of bananas. People here in Kalkan are so kind and thoughtful and really go the extra mile to make you feel welcome and comfortable.

We then met our friends on migros car park. The journey down from Fethiye was uneventful and they made it in approx 1 hour.

We showed them to their hotel and they were taken aback with the amazing views kalamar bay has to offer and the gorgeous views from the hotel and its infinity pool and restaurant. 
OH ferried us down to the harbour and this is where it all starts to get a little hazy.

We had heard that Aubergine have cut their price of house wine to 25tl a bottle so we were definitely having some of that. Of course our idea of having a nice glass of wine while watching the boats being hoisted back in the water became 2 bottles of wine and as we were facing the street on the sofa, we didn't even see them going back in but we heard it all and a kind lady who was sitting up on the 'top table' told me she'd give me a shout when the next one went in!

We then showed our friends the old town as we dragged ourselves up through the streets to the taxi rank and back to our respective so homes for an hour around the pool before showering and out for the evening.

We were going to dine at Gironda, if their rooftop was open but didn't make a definite booking as they weren't sure if they were opening their rooftop or not. It's as well we didn't make a booking as by the time we had finished our drinks downstairs, the sun had already set so we decided to eat at Kaya instead as we thought their girls would enjoy kadir's Magic and we love it there. We had a delicious meal and fab magic tricks, we were all impressed.
Where to now? Black and gold of course. We had a fab fun night, OH behind the bar making cocktails with Burak's  supervision and us quaffing them and before we knew it, midnight had struck and my bed was calling me.

This morning I feel like hell on earth. Never again... ::) :(
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 20, 2016, 09:29:54 AM
Another goodly read! makes me wish I was there.... still only 57 days to go! ...ever thought they might be getting things wrong because you are slurring? ;D :P
Post by: Babs on April 20, 2016, 06:21:38 PM
Oh Lizilu!  ::) ::)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on April 20, 2016, 06:26:47 PM
Oh Lizzie, laughing again til the end, you are wasted!!! you should be writing books, fab blog.  Did you end up eating the banana, and "I feel like hell on earth. Never again", please don't keep to that in August will you!!!

Jayne xx
Post by: BarbH on April 20, 2016, 10:34:17 PM
Jane, Lizzie has already forgotten she wrote that!!!!! :) :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 21, 2016, 07:49:07 AM
Thursday 21/04/16

And I feeeeeel good da da da da da da da!!!  ;)

Yesterday, not only did I wake up feeling dreadful, as I opened the curtains, it looked like we had emerged from our slumber to a crime scene.  :o
The pool had been cordoned off with tape, a strategically placed umbrella at every corner with high risk tape wound all around - oh no! I staggered groggily down the steps, negotiating them with care and found Tommy Lee (AKA Halil ) with his hose pipe. Oh no, BIG problem with the pool - the pump is dead!! RIP!!! Just as the weather has gone tropical  :( with a hopeful look on my face I enquired when it would be back in action and I was met with a shrug, maybe 2 days  ??? Oh well, I'll just resort to the hope pipe to cool me down if things get desperate as it really is pool weather in Kalkan right now.

Our friends were due to go home yesterday after their micro break from Fethiye and called on us on their way home, they had checked out and were going to spend a couple of hours with us before travelling home. Their girls were disappointed about the pool and they were all disappointed at going home as they had enjoyed Kalkan so much - They gave us a knowing look and said"what the hell" turned around and went straight back to the hotel for another night! They have already decided to come back for a longer time in the summer and so Kalkan has weaved its spell again  :).

We spent the day with them at the kalamar hotel and it was fab. We had lunch first in the restaurant with the breathtakingly magnificent view - dirt cheap! A beautiful Caesar salad for 15tl well it was a take on a Caesar salad as the sauce was yoghurty and minty, but delicious all the same. There had to be a sting somewhere! And we found it on the drinks menu. Glass of wine - huge glass, tiny volume of wine for 20tl, Efes 15 TL for a small glass  :o  >:( so I managed to stick to my detox, well kind of! Just the one hair of the dog as I sat on a pristine sunbed taking in the fantastic view of the infinity pool and beyond, firnaz bay sparkling under the hazy late afternoon sunshine and mouse and snake standing proudly with the hint of a ferry, travelling further afield slowly making its way along the horizon. Bliss! What a lovely way to spend the afternoon and we had it all to ourselves!
The only thing that brought us down to earth was our waiter who was adorned in a t shirt which read "sorry boys this girl is taken" and when we were asked if we would like music around the pool, I suddenly shot out of my seat as is thought I was still in a crime scene as "PUT YOUR F*****G HANDS UP" suddenly and frighteningly blared out of the sound system and we were subjected to a rave in Ibiza soundtrack.  ::) :o ;D

So a lovely day in a beautiful hotel, but a few lessons to be learned before the families and more genteel folk arrive for the summer.

Last night we dined at the marina restaurant and it was as tasty as ever. They were also very busy which was good to see and we had to wait for a table. I was very careful and nursed my drinks, drank lots of water in between and was a paragon of virtue.

Let's se what today brings  ;)

Post by: Mayday1 on April 21, 2016, 08:51:57 AM
Fabulous report lizilu.......sounds like you had a " Michael Bubble" wake up..........deffo prefer that to Put your F*****g hands up.You are really getting us in the kalkan mood........we come on Monday,so not long to wait to have a look at our favourite place again,with all the new changes.

Have forensics been over to try and establish the possible cause of death of the poor water pump ! Love the reports,please keep them coming.Have a fab relaxing day
Post by: Bob & Jayne on April 21, 2016, 09:44:20 AM
Another fab report Lizzie, I couldn't wait til I got home to have a sneaky peak, needed your Kalkan fix, feeling much happier now. Hope they get that pool sorted for you.  Have a lovely day today, look forward to tomorrow's blog!  :D xx
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on April 21, 2016, 12:56:34 PM
Thanks for the reports.  Really getting me in the mood for our trip in 4 weeks (not that I'm counting).
J
Post by: Haybo on April 21, 2016, 07:13:16 PM
72 days...
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 22, 2016, 08:44:13 AM
Friday 22/04/16

Our last full day  :(

Yesterday, OH made my breakfast as I blogged and I was joined again by a cheeky bird, presumably wanting some of it. It was on the balcony railing, close enough to touch and it chirrup'd  away at me. The birds are so tame here. After I finished I threw my crumbs over the balcony and a flock of greedy birds enjoyed their breakfast too.  :)

We still have the car and didn't do too much in the way of sightseeing while our friends were here so after saying goodbye to our friends (who are now hooked!) we jumped in the car and headed off to patara.
It's been our mission since 2009, to find the sand dunes, but every time we tried in the past we've either taken the wrong turn or not believed we were going in the right direction. This time we were determined, and we did it!!!
Oh my word! Breathtaking, spectacular, amazing, how many adjectives I could use to describe this awesome sight that was in front of us. It was like looking at a wonder of the world! I presume that most of you have already been to the dunes but if you haven't, then make it your mission to go too. You won't be disappointed. There were a group of ladies having a picnic and a few hikers, presumably walking the Lycian way, but other than these folks, it was deserted and we scrambled to the very top to see patara beach in all its glory, stretching for miles, truly an amazing sight.

We headed home, exhilarated, and decided to drive via Akbel.
Question - why did the chicken cross the road?
Answer - to get to the other side? Ha ha, no, because it wanted to play chicken with us! I think we may have encountered 'death wish chicken' or one of its descendants. Just as we were approaching a group of hens playing merrily by the roadside, one decided to tease us and run right out in front of us - I've never seen a hen run as fast in my life, but it made it unscathed, and gave us a withering look with unruffled feathers as we missed it by a whisker!
We carried on down to chillies which has just opened for the season and enjoyed a delicious lunch. We really must try it of an evening on the summer. The full menu was not available as the only opened on Wednesday, but we got what we asked for which was a hot chicken salad for me, chicken wrap for our daughter and cheeseburger for OH. My hot chicken salad was actually a chili chicken salad, rather than a warm chicken salad - another lost in translation episode, but it actually was warm and not too spicy. In fact it was yummy and we all enjoyed our respective meals.
As we were eating our lunch, we encountered 'death wish tortoise' lazily ambling across the road. I'm not sure if this was George Colin Jaffa or a different one but thank God it was rescued by a kind soul from the blue turtle bar, or it may have been messy!  :o

After chillies, we had a walk around the harbour, fab to see the boats back in and still being worked on, to make them shipshape for the season, and along the walkway to the beach. As I said earlier, it's not looking too pretty there at the moment but I'm sure it will be tidied up for the start of the season. Two boys were diving in from the rocks and wet OH through as he passed by, he nearly jumped out of his skin!  ;D
We then decided to have a walk by the Asfiya hotel so we parked the car up and walked down the steps by the Likya cottages or posh pods as we call them. This is a lovely hidden pathway that ends up by the clubhouse/restaurant on the harbour and is a nice walk. Shame in a sense about the development - I wonder if eventually the coastline will be built up all around to kalamar bay? But it is a nice walk and the pods are tucked away between the trees and looks as though the developers have tried to be sympathetic with the surroundings.

Back to the Yelken for a well earned sun bathe around the pool and a nice glass of wine. Unfortunately the crime scene is still there, the tape flapping in the slight breeze and teasing me! I so wanted to jump in that pool - my phone temperature was reading 30 degrees and it sure felt like it too.

Last night we met up with Christina and she showed up around her beautiful apartment and served us delicious nibbles and drinks. Thank you Christina, you are a fab hostess and we had a lovely time and had to drag ourselves away, but we needed to eat.

We weaved carefully down the street - she was a marvellous hostess and the drinks were flowing! By the handbag shop where I've placed my order  :) and ended up in salt n pepper.
Delicious food at a reasonable price for the harbour and free dessert of fruit and ice cream. It was very quiet and we had a lovely chat with the guys there.
We were going to go to black and gold but they had closed by the time we had eaten - well it was midnight! So we made our way home, happy and content after another amazing day.  :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 23, 2016, 08:27:56 AM
Saturday 23/04/16

National sovereignty & Children's day in Turkey and it's going home day for us  :(

I believe there will be a parade from school to the Kaya roundabout about now and then celebrations from 9.30 onwards. Such a shame we will miss it as unfortunately packing will take priority for us. It's a dull day today in lots of ways, the sun is struggling to peep through the clouds this morning and I'm struggling to peep through my eyes. Bit of a disturbed sleep last night as the dogs were barking very loudly here in kalamar. The weather has got warmer and warmer since we've been here and for the last 2 nights we've been sleeping with the bedroom window and balcony door open (thank heavens for fly screens) as its been so muggy. In fact I got up and had a cold shower the other night as I was so hot. I know we could have put the air con on, but it's been refreshing feeling the natural breeze and not waking up with dry mouths, banged up noses and sore throats which is how I often feel while sleeping with the air con on. Hence you could hear every little noise from outside and that's something I'm not used to as I never sleep with the window open at home, unless it's unusually warm.

Yesterday was a fab day all round. After feasting on a delicious Turkish style breakfast
lovingly thrown together by OH, we set off on our last car journey of the holiday, leaving our daughter snuggled in the bat cave  she said she needed to catch up on her sleep!! ???
We headed right at the top of the hill and on to kaputas for a quick recce. There were a few people on the beach and frolicking in the very calm sea. The toilets are still there as is the refreshment hut. We decided not to traverse the steps so took a few pics and turned around and set off to patara for the day instead.

Our next door neighbours in the apartment had been to patara earlier in the week and kindly offered us the use of their card so we made good use of it, although it's only cheap for a pass at patara and we would have willingly paid. We headed towards the barrier with trepidation, fearing that the guy at the hut would somehow realise that we were interlopers and refuse our entry, but no, all was well as he smiled and wished us a good day at the beach as he swiped our card and thankfully no sirens went off!
We enjoyed a fabulous couple of hours at the beach. The yellow/red striped flag was up so we presumed that this meant ok but with a bit of caution? There were a few people swimming and for the first time we spotted a life guard in the hut and another monitoring the sea in his canoe. The beach was fairly deserted, a few boys playing football which invariably meant that the ball was kicked in the sea and they were having a wonderful time frolicking in the waves, a few other couples and a family - certainly no fighting for a sun bed and umbrella this time of year. We plonked ourselves down and apart from a fight with a wasp who wanted to claim my yellow towel as his own, and a slight hitch where I had to roll off my sunbed into the sand to get up ( not a pretty sight) as my knees just weren't for bending, all was well and we basked under the hazy sunshine, never feeling too hot as the warm breeze rolled from the sea and over our sun baked bods. It was bliss  8)
When we got back, our neighbour told us about how her swimming costume had left a white ring on her stomach, quick as a flash OH told her to wear it every day for four days and she could be an Audi  ;D oh we did laugh.

We returned home, windswept and brushing the sand off, to an afternoon of prosecco and nibbles on the balcony. I'd been saving the prosecco all holiday for 'the right time' and this was it. We had a lovely afternoon, chilled and relaxing, chatting and reminiscing about our fab holiday.
Far too Soon it was time to get showered and out for the evening.

We called in at Kaya for a drink and had a real laugh with the help of google translate.
I was secretly speaking stupid phrases into my phone (which translated them into Turkish) then randomly adding them into a conversation with Erol and Kadir. It was all very childish but great fun and when they cottoned on, they were doing it back, so funny  ;D ;D we said our farewells and lots of hugs later we set off en route to the bag shop.
I'm now the proud owner of a lookalikey Prada saffiano from the new range. Apparently the first one he has sold this season as they were only delivered from the factory yesterday.

We had not decided where to dine but kalamaki looked tempting and seeing as we'd never been before we decided to give it a whirl and I'm so glad we did. It was delicious and we will definitely go back.

We called on to black and gold and had a last rusty nail cocktail there, more hugs and promises to return in August and back home for the last sleep on our comfy bed in our lovely apartment.

We have until 6pm today, so weare planning on brunching downstairs at the Yelken bistro and then the packing will commence. So I'd better get my skates on.

This is Lizilu checking out for now, see you on the other side.  :)
Post by: Haybo on April 23, 2016, 09:05:10 AM
Lizzie, an absolute tonic to those of us patiently waiting for our turn to come! As you know, I am only going for 7 days so I want to make sure i show my friend the very best there is.  I think we will be sticking to Old town for meals so am loving the sound of Salonika, am thrilled Mustafa has moved to a spot with a great view, although I love the spot by the Mosque and think we will try Marina.  I am keen that i have a 'different' stay than I would with the family, so would like to try the less busy beach clubs...maybe caretta and if they permit it, the Kalamar Hotel. 

Have a splendid last day and a safe trip home.  Who's next?
Post by: hobbo on April 23, 2016, 09:16:19 AM
Have a safe journey, we will be flying in as you leave, possibly on the same EJ plane? We are bringing a couple of friends with us this trip who have never been to Turkey before. I've really enjoyed your holiday, many thanks for doing the research and sharing it on here it has helped us plan our 8 days 8) 8)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on April 23, 2016, 10:00:54 AM
It certainly has been a tonic reading your holiday blog Lizzie, thank you so much, we have laughed from beginning to end, and feel like we have been there with you.  Have a safe journey home, and maybe there may be a final blog when you get back.  :D :D

J&B xxx

Hobbo hope you have a lovely holiday too, and maybe a post or 2!!!
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 23, 2016, 12:35:37 PM
Thanks guys and yes Hobbo that's our flight. We will wave to you as you disembark while we are queuing to board  :(

Jayne - I will finish off tomorrow as I have a few snippets of information that may be of use to the forum including the hunker expansion of which the deal was signed yesterday.
 :-*
Post by: Haybo on April 23, 2016, 12:37:07 PM
Oooh spoilers!
Post by: janeb on April 23, 2016, 07:49:43 PM
Thank you so much, I've really enjoyed your posts.

Have a safe journey home.  :)
Post by: Derbyshire on April 23, 2016, 11:19:50 PM
Also thank you for your lovely reports x
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 24, 2016, 11:29:20 PM
Oh Lizilu, your stay is over too soon  :( :(
Thank you for sharing your holiday with us, I've loved reading your reports and it's really put me in the mood for our own stay in a mere 47 days time  ;D
It won't be long until you are back in Kalkan again and I look forward to reading more about your adventures then.
Anyone willing to pick up the baton..? Mayday1? hobbo? Is there anybody there?
Post by: Haybo on April 25, 2016, 05:51:44 AM
If you haven't done it already, dont forget to click on  the Thanks to show your appreciation  for Lizzie sharing her antics with us xx
Post by: Chris_S on April 25, 2016, 10:59:14 AM
And not just for the series - if you enjoy each Post, say so! ;D

(You can get very paranoid about watching the Thankyou Count go up - it lets you know you're getting it right!)
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 25, 2016, 12:59:09 PM
Wow, thank you so much everyone.  :-*  :)  It was a pleasure to bask in the warm Kalkan sunshine and report back to you all. Sadly I'm now sitting at my desk and reminiscing on the wonderful holiday we have had.
As promised here is my final installment and I'd just like to say a HUGE thank you to you all for your appreciation. Like Chris_S says, it's good to know you're getting it right. I'm sure you'd tell me if I wasn't though  ;D  ;)

So, Saturday dawned and it was with a heavy heart I picked up my I Pad to report back. The sun was doing it's best to peep through the cloud and selfishly, it made me feel a little better about going home.  :(
Blog complete, we decided to breakfast downstairs at the Yelken Bistro. It's not the cheapest of places to eat but the ambience is lovely and the food is excellent and so beautifully presented. We enjoyed the poshest full English ever, served on a wooden board with sausage, bacon fried egg on toast, mushrooms and tomatoes and a rocket garnish, oh and the best hash browns known to mankind! We also had 2  Americano coffees and freshly squeezed orange juice. It was a lovely treat and I enjoyed every calorie! Our daughter declined, preferring  to languish in the cave until the last moment - no surprises there then.  ::) While we were eating, the boys from the Bistro were erecting some garden furniture in the beautiful lawned area opposite, which they have been lovingly cultivating for some time now. I can report back that I had exclusive rights to the first customer swing of the season on the fantastic swinging sofa. I gave it some welly and there were no misshaps so I can definitely recommend a drink, a meal and now a relaxing post prandial swing too.  :D
Packing done and daughter peeled from the sheets, we watched Tommy Lee undo the crime scene tape and the pool bubble into life - yay!!! It was our cue to race down there. The sun had now burnt through the clouds and the pool was open for business.
So we spent a fantastic afternoon, lazing, basking and swimming until it was time to get showered and ready for the flight home. We managed an hour with our lovely apartment neighbours down in the Bistro for drinks before our taxi pulled up and we said our goodbyes with tears in our eyes.

The flight home was comical - our neighbours from home were in the airport waiting, so we enjoyed an astronomically priced Efes with them and as we approached the speedy boarding queue, someone shouted my name and there were some other neighbours fom the next avenue! All of a sudden I felt a flash before my eyes which blinded me and heard a voice shout 'it's our Nurse!' as 2 families of my patients started taking photos of me like paparazzi!! They all wanted selfies with me! It was so funny. We then boarded and on the opposite aisle was OH's old accountant! what a coincidence.  ;D

So a few observations:

1. Never forget the mossie spray no matter how early in the year. We have been bitten to death despite wearing OFF. It seems as though any square inch of flesh that the OFF misses, the mossie's will seek out. Poor OH looks like a spotty teenager as he has a few bites on his face and neck.
2. Hunkar signed the deal on Friday and it's official, they are moving to Kalkan Kebab on the corner and still keeping their original premises. That was the story on Friday night anyway.
3. The former ill fated Yesil Ev is now called Porcini ( opposite can can on Kalamar road) I got it a bit wrong the other day and mislead you, sorry - and will hopefully be opening soon.
4. The bar on the corner where the boat is, is now The cosmopolitan bar, advertised by  a newly painted and upturned boat emblazoned with the logo and was up and running on our last day. So lots of watering holes and places to eat along the Kalamar road now.
5. Don't hesitate, book your flights and get to Kalkan. We saw no sign of trouble there and it remains as wonderful as ever. I'm not that naive to think that it may never be affected as could my little village at home. Who knows? But I honestly felt no different than at any other time on previous holidays.
6. Easy Jet are by far superior to TC nad Monarch, just wished we had booked our summer flights with them too.

So until August, I really am signing off and it's over to you guys! and thanks again for your kind comments and shows of appreciation. It means a lot. x

Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on April 25, 2016, 01:03:12 PM
Oh no, ends on a cliffhanger!
J
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 25, 2016, 01:36:47 PM
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

My fingers slipped on my battered keyboard ha ha  - sorry!  ::)

I've edited it  ;D
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 25, 2016, 05:13:03 PM
I have enjoyed sharing your holiday..it has brightened up the dreary days waiting till it's our turn!.....but Sacre Bleu!! whats this!! wooden plates for your full English..and oh my god! Rocket!! now somethings just aren't right!..rocket is taking up the space that should be occupied by another Sausage!! mmmmmm!  ::) :P
Post by: suzyq1 on April 25, 2016, 06:27:14 PM
Yes thank you so much Lizilu for sharing your holiday with us. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. Just wish it could have been a bit warmer for your return. Can't wait to ditch the winter boots for some blingy flip flops!  ;D ;D
Post by: pattaya on April 25, 2016, 07:25:57 PM
Yes really enjoyed reading all your posts... Especially as the weather has been so cold here in the UK.
Makes me look forward to my Kalkan fix all the more.
Thank you for taking so much time to report back to us all x
Post by: Mrs M! on April 25, 2016, 09:06:13 PM
Thank you SO much, I've really enjoyed reading your reports. We're off there (after a 2 year break) in September for my *0th Birthday! You've really whetted our Kalkan appetites :)

Post by: Babs on April 26, 2016, 08:02:14 AM
Thanks for sharing your holiday with us Lizilu, I've enjoyed every minute and am now looking forward to August when no doubt there will plenty of antics with your partner in crime to be reported!  :laugh:
So who's next??
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on April 26, 2016, 01:08:34 PM
Thanks for sharing your holiday, it has really got me in the mood for my trip in, ooh, 24 days.  Don't think I will be able to compete with your wonderful stories though.  I will give it a go but can't promise it will daily.

Jo
x
Post by: Bob & Jayne on April 26, 2016, 03:31:14 PM
Lizzie, we have enjoyed reading each and everyone of your posts, as I am sure everyone else has  :D. You certainly have brightened up my day I can tell you! Am sad your holiday is over, but just think you can start counting down til the next one now  :D :D we definitely are! "Partner in Crime" Babs, whatever do you mean  :D :D :D

Looking forward to the next one to take up the Baton! Where's Hobbo when you need him??  ;D

Joeyloveskalkan, will be looking out for yours too  :D

Off topic slightly! "Its snowing in Dorset today" seriously!!!!!

Post by: hobbo on April 26, 2016, 05:33:53 PM
Sorry Jayne and everybody else... I've been too busy checking that the restaurants and bars are up to there usual high standards to spend time writing a blog..... However at this moment it seems our friends (we brought helpers to get second opinions) are both fast asleep, charging their batteries for this evenings tasks, (tough job but someone has to do it!)
We arrived in Kalkan on Sunday early morning and have already tested, Yelken Bistro, Cafe Vita, The Brothers, DoyDoy, Chillies, Black and Gold and The Secret Garden (Kas) and had a drive up to and a walk round the ruins at Myra.. (no wonder they are snoring )  all places have met or exceeded our expectations. I have also tested the new LaySac,  mastered how to fill the thing with air on a calm day, and sorted how to fasten the end... looks much easier in the videos! a complex task of running around waving a large pink tube in a sweeping motion whilst friends are commenting on why are you waving that large condom around... then exhausted trying to sit on the thing (requires more balance and control than I had at the time!) 3 times I ended up A over T ... eventually sorted and those FB friends on here will possibly have seen that I did eventually master sitting and lying on the big pink condom!! just so pleased Mrs Hobbo doesn't know how to make a video on her phone!! and I practised around the villa pool and not on a public beach!!

Post by: Lizilu20 on April 27, 2016, 08:57:43 AM
Sounds like you've been far too busy with that giant pink condom and bar research to possibly write a blog Hobbo -you are excused as you are working hard for the EK team in other areas.

Loved the FB photo's, shame we only saw the end version. Would have been far more entertaining if Mrs Hobbo had video'd from start to finish.  ;D

Get a pic on here!!!

And once again, thank you everyone.  :-*  Roll on August then I can double blog with my patner in crime.  ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on April 27, 2016, 04:13:19 PM
Thanks Hobbo, that was a lovely added bonus on reading your blog, and yes loved the photos on FB.  Glad to hear you are checking out the restaurants and bars, it wouldn't be Kalkan if we didn't do would it! Have a great time, and maybe we will get another post soon and possibly a photo! :D

J&B
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal