Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: kalkan4eva on March 04, 2016, 05:09:37 PM

Title: Getting ready for Kalkan
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 04, 2016, 05:09:37 PM
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but as soon as we tip over into March I start buying for our trip to Kalkan.
Already deposited into the clear plastic box - new swimwear, BH's suntan lotion, 3 of the 6 books I plan to take and a couple of cover-ups...taking my cover-up ownership into borderline crazy :-[
Who else is getting ready for Kalkan..?
Title: Re: Getting ready for Kalkan
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 04, 2016, 05:39:23 PM
I have my holiday pants!! some new Flippen Floppens and a Fred Perry polo shirt............sorted!! >:D
Post by: Babs on March 04, 2016, 06:40:07 PM
You do make me laugh K4E!  :laugh:
Post by: Maitch on March 04, 2016, 06:48:11 PM
Hubby will be arriving in Kalkan on 10th May, but I won't be out for another 13 days as our dear daughter in law is due to have twin sons next Wednesday! I have said that there was no way I could think of leaving her for more than a fortnight, especially as she is due to have a C-section, and will need all the help she can get for at least 6 weeks.  Hopefully they might arrive before next week - but I'm not holding my breath!
Post by: janeb on March 04, 2016, 09:05:41 PM
He, he; so glad I'm not alone, just purchased my extra grip fiat summer sandals and a cover up just today. Been browsing the sun lotion aisle in boots. Still holding back the temptation, at the moment, to sort my 'only wear in Kalkan' drawer out, if I do that it might stop me buying more holiday lovelies.

I've been happily enjoying the photos of all the lovely bags coming up on the Simply Chic Facebook account. So much temptation.

79 days and counting for us. Yay.  ;)
Post by: Haybo on March 05, 2016, 02:25:08 PM
We decided last year that we were having a 'staycation' year this year and do some jobs at home, but then I was given the opportunity to have a holiday with a girlfriend, so thanks to Kalkan Gems, we are heading out for a week at the start of July...this will be tough after our 3 weeks last year!

Anyhow, i have not booked any hold baggage...i am going to try to pack for a week with a 10kg allowance......how bonkers is that? ! Advice please......
Post by: samson on March 05, 2016, 03:15:54 PM
 :) all packed . going tomorrow !
Post by: Mayday1 on March 05, 2016, 03:41:22 PM
Haybo,

The best advice i can give you is...........pack as much as you can into your 10kg bag and then prey that the airport scales have broken,in the uk and Dalaman when you return.........it is a long shot,but you never know.

Have a lovely week though.
Post by: Haybo on March 05, 2016, 05:51:52 PM
Mayday1 - genius!

Think I may give in and fork out the £48 to take a case.......

Samson - have a great time!
Post by: Mayday1 on March 05, 2016, 06:06:26 PM
Have a fabulous time Samson.Weather is pretty good there at the moment and here's hoping it stays good for you.
Post by: Babs on March 05, 2016, 06:24:08 PM
We have a long time to wait......October!
Go away for,a few days to Spain before then and hopefully to visit friends in Cornwall in the summer but I am often heard to say "that would be nice for you know where!" But don't have a specific stash!
Post by: Lizilu20 on March 06, 2016, 09:45:28 PM
33 days to our next trip and apart from wax strips for OH's back,  :o  I've not got a jot yet. I'm still hoping to drop a dress size before I buy any new clobber but think I'm being a bit unrealistic  ;D watch this space  ;)
Post by: Chris_S on March 07, 2016, 10:54:42 AM
Baggage weighing at airports?

Don't rely on them being broken - there's money at stake for the airline (assuming it's a so-called 'budget' airline).  Certainly SqeezyJet and LyingAir scales tend to read (or are interpreted) high when it suits them, generally on the return!

We once had 19kg cases outbound (SqueezyJet) weigh 22kg on the return with nothing added, in fact a book or too less.  Must have been an awful lot of beach sand stuck to those sandals…

Scheduled these days - lesson learned ???
Post by: msr on March 07, 2016, 07:28:24 PM
We only ever take hand luggage, with Easy jet hand luggage weight is unlimited.
There are ways of getting everything in, especially for a week.
Roll everything up, limit shoes, you only really need a pair for around the pool and 1 or maybe 2 pairs for the evenings. Dresses take up less room than skirts and tops. Kindle hopefully instead of paperbacks.
Order suncream/toiletries from Boots and pick up at the airport, this does not have to go in your case and saves a huge amount of room. If space is at a premium buy a beach towel in Kalkan and squeeze it in on the way back!
We even did Shanghai with hand baggage only, slightly more challenging than a couple of weeks in the sun! It's great when you land and just sweep through the terminal bypassing the luggage carousels.
Good luck!
Post by: DRBD on March 07, 2016, 08:16:32 PM
The turkish hamman towels are just perfect for the light  luggage travellers, easy to rinse out,  they come in all different sizes & quality & light in weight. 
Post by: Haybo on March 08, 2016, 05:56:36 AM
Great advice msr.  I wear a third of what i take normally so it stands to reason that i can cope with 10 kg, although i might treat myself to a super lightweight bag as my samsonite weighs about 3 kilos before you even start!

Have got my Turkey Towels ready to take....love them! I think I will leave it to my friend who has check in to carry the toiletries, straighteners etc!
Post by: Chris_S on March 08, 2016, 10:40:53 AM
Make the most of the hand luggage situation while you can!

Murmurings in the airline industry, especially the budget end, are fuelling concern that the increase in delayed departures and the knock-on effects, are caused by passengers stowing their (sometimes excessively large) hand luggage allowance (to avoid the checked-in charges).

There are investigations currently being done to see whether to soften the checked in charges so that turn-arounds become more efficient and thus saving the airlines money from fines (delayed departures, increased gate parking charges), increased fuel costs (making up lost time), accidents (heavy bags falling out of lockers), and customer satisfaction (passengers bags not being stowed in lockers due to insufficient space); all these may outweigh the fuel savings in not having loads of heavy baggage in the hold.

Whether there will be any changes, remains to be seen, but you can bet on the fact that if it will transfer costs to the passenger, and improve the profit margin, then it will happen.
Post by: hobbo on March 08, 2016, 12:30:18 PM
I tend to travel hand baggage only but this Sunday we will be flying out Turkish Air (via Istanbul to Antalya) and hence have 2x 23kg of hold luggage included, so will be packing 2 spare water hammocks and several bits and bobs for the villa plus a load of clothes and first aid provisions for KKIP.
I have in the past managed hand luggage only on TC (6kg) this included my laptop! the secret is a big coat with large pockets.
Post by: msr on March 08, 2016, 01:54:24 PM
Love it Haybo, you have got your priorities right by loading the heavy stuff in your friends hold bag. May even have enough room for a spare pair of shoes perhaps😱😱
Post by: samson on March 09, 2016, 11:10:59 AM
as we flew with Pegasus again we were pushed to find enough to fill our two 20kilo cases so one we filled with food for our ex pat neighbours. tried to think of all the things they miss and can not get in Kalkan. The list included jacobs cream crackers, kippers. herring roe . horseradish , crumpets but we were also able to put in a Ken Hom chinese take away from Tesco. They were delighted! what is the most obscure item anyone has bought out ? :)
Post by: Christina on March 09, 2016, 08:49:37 PM
In the past I have brought out a slow cooker, bedside lamps, chandelier, king size mattress topper, 3 x 13.5 tog duvets, luxury bedding, steam mop, nutribullet, garden chairs, electric mixer, 100 DVDs, music system, iPod docks, Bluetooth speaker, frying pan, fairy lights, draught excluders, drill, exterior lanterns, church candles ..... but none of these beat my friend, who successfully brought out a full size glass shower screen for her bathroom.
Post by: Chris_S on March 10, 2016, 10:46:58 AM
This could be giving ideas to 'Basil' on disposing of the Hatton Garden Job proceeds!  >:D
Post by: Mayday1 on March 10, 2016, 02:04:55 PM
Chris,if you know Basil,ask him to get in touch.............id love to fill my boots (and suitcase) with some of the goodies from the heist............but the only question that is worrying me is ............How many years in the clink do you get these days for handling stolen property ??
Post by: DRBD on March 10, 2016, 03:19:47 PM
It obviously depends on your age, if you plead guilty & say 'thank you' nicely to the judge..........😈.
Post by: Chris_S on March 11, 2016, 11:02:59 AM
Depends on whether your a voter, Banker/businessman, or politician.

In the latter case, time sentenced depends on the party affiliation compared to who is in Government.

If you're a EU politician, they also promote you.

Cynical? Moi?
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 11, 2016, 04:11:45 PM
So my Kalkan prep continues and my items are multiplying in their plastic box. Avon SSS (no idea why I persevere with this but BH likes it..), a couple of eBay bargains, some Turkish lira - seemed like a good rate, so why not? a bag wishlist (sorry!) and a new pair of blingy sandals given that my old favourites gave up the ghost last year.
Proud to say, no more beach cover-ups have joined the stash...so far  :angel: :angel:
Post by: itstime on March 12, 2016, 05:14:33 PM
Oh a Kalkan holiday wouldn’t be the same without SSS it is one of those memorable Kalkan aromas  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 11, 2016, 06:26:17 PM
A mere 2 months today...I want that time to fly fly fly :)
So much stuff in the box, I need to buy another. BH keeps looking for his things in the stash....erm  :-[ :-[ . I point to the solitary suntan lotion, his toiletries and the first aid items with a vague "there" statement. This is usually followed by a "what do you need...?" kind of question which is always replied to with "nothing really..." There you go then.
Added in the last few days, some dresses - I'm trying to broaden my colour palette - some cheap flip flops (wear them out, leave them behind) and another book.
Roll on June :)
Post by: brian j p on April 12, 2016, 02:32:56 PM
3 week to go   for us ,  prep has just started
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on April 12, 2016, 08:48:44 PM
Just organised our Visa's ........ the countdown begins.

Ooh and just booked another holiday for September.

Jo
Post by: Stoner122 on June 25, 2016, 06:34:13 PM
Good idea on the plastic box ! 5 weeks to go!! Our first visit! Wonder which restaurant we should visit first?! We have a teen!
Post by: Chris_S on June 26, 2016, 02:37:31 PM
Stoner - take your pick!

it's not a helpful answer, but just about everyone will have a different favourite.

This could be because of their own favourite dishes, having got to know the owners/staff, how far it is to walk (or how many stairs!), or even how much people-watching you choose to do;

As for the teen, well it's a long while since i was that age, but I suspect that choosing for them will be a nightmare on a day-to-day basis (whether they want to be family oriented or have the buzz of a nearby bar, etc.);

The there's the view.  Of course, if you want the bay and islands in front of you, and you eat early enough, then that's achievable with some of the rooftop places, but, then again, once it gets dark, you'll be down to the lights around the village.

Not a straightforward answer I'm afraid, but then it was never going to be, as you'll find out.

[ps.  I'm not recommending, but I suspect that Alternatif, in it's new location, may fit the specification - but the other regulars may well have other suggestions!) :angel:
Post by: pw on June 26, 2016, 05:20:13 PM
Good idea on the plastic box ! 5 weeks to go!! Our first visit! Wonder which restaurant we should visit first?! We have a teen!

What time do you arrive and which part of town are staying?
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal