Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Lizilu20 on August 10, 2015, 03:05:58 PM

Title: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20...The 'Golden Birthday Tour'
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 10, 2015, 03:05:58 PM
K day minus 3 and counting!

Yippee!!!  It's that time again and the preparations are well and truly underway for this years 2nd leg of the 'Golden Birthday Tour'. The first being a wonderful tropical and romantic holiday for Automan and I sans kiddies. It was our very first holiday 'a deux' (I don't know why the 'O' level french is creeping into this blog as I'm ashamed to admit that I actually got a U in my exam - must be the romantic in me  ;D) apart from the odd weekend here and there, but even though we have such happy memories of Mauritius and Dubai - nothing, and I mean NOTHING can compare with the excitement of our family holiday in Kalkan. We even found ourselves comparing bits of tropical paradise with Kalkan and Kalkan usually came out tops.

The excitement of seeing our lovely friends, both Turkish and British and planning what we will do, where we will visit, where to eat etc has been building to a crescendo over these past few weeks. Especially with all the wonderful holiday reports keeping Kalkan alive  in our minds and hearts. 

I wasn't going to start this until a little bit closer to the time but thought I d share how the preparations were coming along.

As usual and to be expected, nothing runs completely smoothly in the Lizilu household. I'm usually very much at the last minute but I have tried to be a little more organised than usual. On Saturday I took our youngest to the uniform shop to get her kitted out for the new term as we only have a few days at the end of our holiday before the start of the new school year and joy of joys, her school has decided to completely overhaul the uniform from scratch. An expense we don't really need before Kalkan, but hey ho, has to be done and organised Mrs Lizilu20 was determined to be prepared. Yesterday, our youngest tried her new uniform on. The v neck of the iumper unravelled in her hands and the top button flew off her new shirt, if only I had known then that this was the shape of things to come.

Following the uniform session, I decided that it was time to separate the siver threads from the gold and touch my roots up. The start of the pre Kalkan essential grooming routine. I always leave the colour on a little longer than it says on the box as I find the grey around my temples notoriously difficult to colour. It recommended 10-20 mins on roots with 10 mins following on the length. I left it 30 mins on roots, 15 mins for the rest then jumped in the shower to wash it off. Id just soaped my bod and was about to shampoo my hair when the bloody shower died on me. No power cut, just a dead shower. I frantically shouted for someone to run me a bath (in a different room) so I could finish what I started. The bath took an age to fill and I was itching like a demented scabied person with all that soap forming a sticky layer all over me - worst of all, the hair dye ended up staying on for about an hour by the time I finally managed to rinse it.

No harm done though thank goodness (apart from having to aveeno my raging eczema today) and the blasted temple roots were still white so I resorted to plucking them out. I had to refrain from turning my hairline into one resembling my namesake of Queen Elizabeth the 1st though. My forehead is high enough thank you very much. My mum always told me it was a sign of brains, but I think she was just trying to make me feel better.

Back work again today and poor Automan had to go home with a dodgy tummy, and that's before we've even got to Kalkan!

So - I'm dusting off the epilady tonight and  taking co-codamol in anticipation of that delight. Ouch!! ;D

Title: Re: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20...The 'Golden Birthday Tour'
Post by: Babs on August 10, 2015, 03:40:21 PM
Well that brightened up a long working afternoon! Be brave about the epilator....you can do it!  ;D
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 10, 2015, 05:18:04 PM
mmmm? If a high forehead is a sign of brains then Ant from Ant & Dec must be a genius....I wonder if it would hatch in the sun? ::)
Post by: keith on August 10, 2015, 07:15:07 PM
Lizilu20..I've given up with trying to cover the roots....I'm definitely 50 shades of grey and have been for quite a number of years. In two weeks time we will be out for dinner in Kalkan and getting ready for our first bottle of wine on the balcony of our villa overlooking the harbour. I really can't wait.
Post by: RosiB on August 10, 2015, 07:55:37 PM
Soooo looking forward to seeing you - and reading the blogs! (Why did predictive text turn soooo into lollipop????)
Post by: janeb on August 10, 2015, 08:20:43 PM
Love it, even your prep is entertaining, can't wait for your posts from Kalkan.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 10, 2015, 11:27:16 PM
T-3 DAYS!!!
Wow...where has that time gone? Feels like only yesterday your wait was in the 100's now here we are almost at K Day.
Really looking forward to all your escapades with Jayne as I know you will have them...its a given!
Happy Golden Birthday Tour :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 12, 2015, 09:22:14 AM
K - 1 and extremely excited!!!

Well, it's been an eventful couple of days and I'm way behind in my prep. 1 day to go and no sign of suitcase packing yet unfortunately but I'm hoping to get at least 2 packed tonight if the Gods smile down on me. So far they haven't  :(

Poor OH was very poorly on Monday, languishing in bed, too ill and feeble to switch the the channel over from back to back episodes Jeremy Kyle but when I got home from work I managed to rally him enough to fit the new shower that our friend, an electrican, had kindly brought home from work for us. By this time it was 9pm and only just eating dinner so very little was done regarding Kalkan preparations. I had intended to de fuzz but it got too late in the day and I chickened out. The thought of torture at 10pm was too much to bear.

Yesterday was supposed to go like this,
Home from work - washer on
Quick run to Asda for a few essentials (Bikinis for daughter who decided at this late stage that all 21 pairs that she already has just don't cut the mustard anymore for various reasons).
Call in to Mum's to say farewell and take her some homemade soup.
Back home to pack
Strip bed
Epilate the leg hair I've been cultivating for 6 weeks.

It went like this,
Home from work - no time to put washer on
Youngest daughter in a mad panic about her (beauitful to me, but abhorrent to her ) ginger roots suddenly appearing through her bleached blond tresses so emergency trip to hairdressers ( my neice who thankfully is a real one) required.
Got to Mum's to find long lost family from Dubai there so couldn't possibly leave soon
Frantic dash to Asda - no Bikinis, all packed away ready for sale on Thursday
On way to neices to collect newly coiffured kid, witness my sister reverse into red car!
Comfort traumatised sister and get Automan (OH) in action to help sort out crumpled car
Back home, get girls making dinner,
Get washer on
Forgot financial adviser was coming - dump him with OH and finally get the epilady out with a glass of wine for analgesia.
One and a half legs later and one vodka and coke later, just after the stroke of midnight, my trusty faithful epilady died on me. Just like the blasted shower! It Served me faithfully since 1986 and now has bit the dust leaving me not only bereft, but with a mohican running down my left thigh!!!  :o

I'm hoping today will be a better one  :)

Post by: Haybo on August 12, 2015, 03:36:09 PM
Mohican legs..i can see it catching on!
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 12, 2015, 04:40:49 PM
A pot of clotted cream and a cat will get rid of your unwanted hair...  :angel:
Post by: Babs on August 12, 2015, 04:56:42 PM
Oh lizilu! You'll laugh about all of this in a couple of days!
The rest of us are laughing now :laugh: :laugh:, apart for the bit about your sisters car!
Post by: keith on August 12, 2015, 07:28:21 PM
What can I say? I'm sure that I stated in a recent post "the best laid plans of mice and men". I'm sure that you'll get the mohican sorted within a day or two.......if not.....you'll be easy to spot!!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 13, 2015, 05:03:59 AM
Oh Lizilu, what can I say! It's "D" *departure" day today, hurry up here and let the fun commence!  :D :D :D

xxx
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 13, 2015, 09:54:56 AM
Oh goodness me...almost time for the French and Saunders of Kalkan to get underway  ;D ;D I cannot wait!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 13, 2015, 01:43:05 PM
ITS K DAY!!!!

Yippee!!! Bags are packed, dog's dispatched to the kennels. 2kilo's overweight so what to get rid of?? Definitely not the sausages, so a variety of shoes and a hairdryer are now in our handbags - makes a change from lipstick and perfume'

So all that remains is to say adios amigos and see you in Kalkan.

Thanks for the replies too guys - made me giggle.  :-*
Post by: BarbH on August 13, 2015, 04:06:26 PM
Have a safe flight all of you.

There will be a great time in he old town tonight :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Barb
Post by: Babs on August 13, 2015, 04:20:57 PM
Let the fun......and the naughtiness.....commence!
Post by: keith on August 13, 2015, 07:28:08 PM
Have a great time and who knows.........we may get to meet.
Post by: suzyq1 on August 14, 2015, 01:04:59 PM
Sorry, I'm a day behind. Hope you had a good trip?
Can't wait to hear all about your holiday. Happy days ahead…..enjoy  8) 8) 8) :D
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 15, 2015, 09:12:39 AM
Saturday 15th August

We are here and all the rubbish events leading up to this moment have all been worth it. Sorry I didn't report back yesterday but to be honest yesterday was a little blurry to say the least. A bit like my head this morning, but more on that later.  :)

We were delayed at Manchester by about an hour but after 3 prosseccos and a packet of monster munch, I didn't really care. The flight was good, nice plane, Airbus A321, nice and new with a good seat pitch for cattle class. There was entertainment on board but I couldn't concentrate on that, too excited to be on our way, plus our travel sick and extremely anxious about flying daughter had me in a half nelson, so tight was her grip on me, that the only movement I could make was to lift my hand to mouth to quaff my 2 for a tenner bottega gold.  :) 
OH always moans at having to sit on an aisle seat on the row next to us, says he hates sitting next to 'randomers' but every journey, he chats away with the people next to him and makes new best friends and our flight was no exception. They offered him their paper but he was too busy chatting with them so he asked if I could have a read, no problem so paper was passed to me and I put it in my bag for later as I only had one hand free and gave them a wave of thanks.
About an hour later OH asks me for the paper back, randomers had only lent it to me for a read and they'd watched me snaffle it away in my bag - oh the mortification and lack of communication. I thought they had given me the paper to keep forever, but they were only politely asking if I wanted a quick read. I bet they though I was a cheeky bitch and I had to retrieve the newspaper from my bag with them all looking at me and watching my every move. They then put it in their bag quickly to avert any other misunderstanding   ::)

We arrived at the apartment (no villa this year) at approx 4am so quick nightcap and straight to bed.

The apartment is lovely with beautiful sea views from both floors and a fantastic roof terrace. The apartment below is beautiful too and belongs to a lovely bloke and his bird called Shirl who drags a tartan shopping trolley around with her and fingers a red nipple!  :o
Yes we are definitely going to have some fun in the sun this holiday!!!!!
Post by: Babs on August 15, 2015, 09:52:15 AM
Ha nah! The secret is out, hope you and Shirl, and the others have a brilliant time!   :laugh:
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 16, 2015, 08:28:34 AM
Sunday 16th August.

Thanks Babs, we certainly intend to have a whale of a time, God willing.   :)

So as I said earlier. We were very tired and fuzzy on Friday morning after only a few hours sleep but the bed was extremely comfortable and rocked us gently into la la land so we slept well and of course we were all too excited to be here to kip for too long. The smell of bacon and sausages were wafting up from Shirl's and making our mouth's water. We peeped over the balcony and could see a pretty pair of shellac' toes wriggling away below, so I aimed a midget gem at them but sadly missed and the toes continued to wriggle away, unaware of my childish bid for attention.  :) Brunch was served at 11 am and Chef Bob and his sous Shirl did us proud. We had a full English and gorgeous nutty brown bread to mop up and make butties - bang goes the diet already! Oh how lovely it was to see our fab friends again, and how brilliant that we are on the floor above them.
We spent a lovely afternoon chilling out and catching up before setting off for our first night on the town. Bob and JAyne had kindly made reservations for us to eat at Marina restaurant and it was as tasty and delicious as ever. We had the set menu which is very good value for money, with extra calamari. Basically you get free puffy bread, tapenade, chilli butter and cheese, mezze, then any mains from the menu apart from salmon. We all had fillet steaks apart from our girls who had pasta and chicken sis and with a few rounds of drinks came to approx £270 TL. Fantastic food and company (the  extra chips that BOb and JAyne had were absolutely delicious - dare I say even better than vita's  :o) We decided to have a nightcap on the roof terrace when we got home and I cannot believe that we actually managed to stay up until 3am! Mind you, we had lots to catch up on.  :)

Yesterday was a very relaxing day spent dining a the Yelken bistro with RosiB and family and then an afternoon of cavorting in the pool and jacuzzi at the Yelken. The food is spot on there. I had a threesome of mini burgers which were fabulous. My eyes were bigger than my belly for sure but I managed to eat all except for half a burger bun, so I didn't  do too badly. I didn't realise at first but you can actually choose any of the burgers for your threesome, so I chose the num num (the best - with bacon and cheese), goats cheese ( which was halloumi) and the Mexican ( tender steak with fried onions and peppers). Oh my word they were amazing! I swilled them down with a lemonade that came in a jam jar with a handle type receptacle that seem to be fashionable this year. It was sooo good. I think it was called a Lynchburg lemonade which had a kick like a mule as it contained jack Daniels and triple sec. Oh it was good. We have stayed at the Yelken a few times and really like it there. That's where we first met Ros and BIll and their sweet and lovely granddaughter Mia. It was brilliant to catch up and we had a lovely afternoon. I also admired Rosi's willpower as while I was stuffing my face with burgers and wiping the melted cheese from my chin,she was elegantly eating a very healthy salad with roast vegetables that looked to die for and definitely what I'm having next time we go.

Last night we met up with haybo and her lovely family and Bob and Jayne for a delicious meal at Kaya. The boys did us proud and we enjoyed very good and reasonably priced food along with excellent company. We were all shattered though and apart from a quick stop at YAli for magnums, we went straight home to our beds. A quick game of cards with the family and a nightcap and we fell exhausted into out comfy bed.

My poor OH's having trouble with his shoulder this year. He blames my heavy case, I blame his age, but he's getting by on anti inflammatories and efes and so far so good. He's just nipped out for a few bits now but forgot the elegant tartan shopping trolley that Shirl very kindly lent us. I tried to run after him with it but he sprinted off like Usain Bolt! I wonder why???  ;D
Post by: BarbH on August 16, 2015, 10:37:28 AM
So glad you are all enjoying yourselves. Sounds like a great bunch of friends you have to spend time with.

Liked the sound of those burgers, this is one meal I have never had in Kalkan but it always looks nice. I will have to try them next year.

We too like Marina restaurant, went twice this June, nver had a bad meal there. It is also very handy for me to get a taxi.

Still lots of days to enjoy so make the most of it....which I am sure you do not need telling.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 16, 2015, 12:06:34 PM
At long last you are there...and together with Bob and Jayne. I expect double the fun and.....double trouble!!  :-*
I love the sound of Yelkin Bistro and how trendy they are with their jam jar glasses...we are sorry we missed out on this place in June, but hopefully they will be there next June...in a mere 301 days :P
Marina is always spot on and lovely friendly staff - likewise Kaya. Two good choices already - although I do wish Kaya would expand their dessert menu.
Never mind the diet, its time to enjoy and hit the long flowing dresses and enjoy all that Kalkan has to offer.
Have a fabulous time!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 16, 2015, 03:43:07 PM
Fab reports Lizzie.  :D

Yes definitely double trouble K4E, and that is just Automan and Bob! Lizilu and I are course behaving like sensible adults!!  ::)

Post by: keith on August 16, 2015, 03:58:54 PM
Loving the report  Lizilu20. Only 8 days and counting!! Can't wait to be in Kalkan and enjoying the ambience and food. I can just imagine sitting on our balcony enjoying the views and wine.
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 16, 2015, 04:30:14 PM
likewise Kaya. Two good choices already - although I do wish Kaya would expand their dessert menu.

When we were out in June Kaya chef was putting new desserts together..one was a Lemon posset with Bacardi...We were guinea pigs as it was Ramadan and they needed an opinion before selling it ...my god! how good was that? we will order it if he still does it ;)
Loving the posts....great everyone! ;)
Post by: tortoise lady on August 16, 2015, 06:53:24 PM
Sorry I am not there at the moment Lizilu.   Now I know where you are staying I could have waved to you from my roof terrace.  I know exactly where you are if you are above Shirl!   How lovely to be so near Bob and Jayne and to do things together.   Sounds like you are all having a lot of fun.   

I won't be in Kalkan again for another five weeks so you will all have left before my arrival.   I have never been there at the same time as Bob and Jayne but once chatted to a couple of their guests when I walked past.

Hope you all continue to have a wonderful holiday.   I am reading your blogs daily.
Post by: janeb on August 17, 2015, 08:48:08 AM
 :)Great post, really enjoy hearing about the fun you all have together. I had a similar experience with the fizz on the plane very enjoyable until I tipped half of it over me - what a waste.

Where is the Yelkin Bistro?

Carry on having fun.
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 17, 2015, 09:04:16 AM
Yelken Bistro is along the Kalamar road far end near Café Vita (RH side going toward Kalamar) ;)
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 17, 2015, 09:05:59 AM
Monday 17th August.

Thanks for your replies Peeps. Glad you are enjoying reading about our hols. You're right about the dessert menu in Kaya K4E. There was only rice pud, chocolate banana something or other and baklava. Sadly no lemon posset BL - that sounds delicious. Not long to go now Keith  8) and TLady, yes, we have a birds eye view of your lovely villa, shame you aren't there to wave to.  :) Janeb, the Yelken bistro is on the kalamar road at the site of the old Yelken Hotel, on the opposite side of the road and a little bit further down than cafe vita.  :)

Yesterday was a fantastic day spent at the Asfiya sea view with Bob and Jayne. As Jayne has already mentioned in her blogs, the hotel is quite quiet at the moment and the management appear happy for people to spend the day there.
It looks so beautiful and serves reasonably priced food and drinks, but the best bit is the sun loungers.  Oh my word, talk about luxurious!  The cushions are so deep and comfy that you feel like you're floating on a feather bed. They even have pillows and a free towel service. They were so comfortable that I'm ashamed to say that I plonked myself down in the shade and didn't wake up for at least an hour and actually woke myself up snoring.  ::)
We had a giggle in the lift back up to the reception area. The boys went to pay our bills but no card machine in the bar area so off we set up to reception with one of the bartenders.We approached the lift, and the doors opened to reveal another staff member with the card
machine in his hands. He then gave it to the bartender who accompanied us back up in the lift while sorting out Bob's transaction. In all my life, I've never before witnessed someone paying their restaurant bill in a lift. 

It was a short but sweaty uphill walk home, a quick G and T then time to get ready for our night at Bodamya Tepe.
We had sundowners at Shirls then walked to the Emir where our chariot should have awaited us. Unfortunately, no chariot arrived. Bob contacted Hassan, who profusely apologised - thought our reservation was for the day after! All was not lost though as a taxi arrived within minutes and whisked us up to Hassans beautiful mountain oasis where our friends M and A were waiting for us.
We had a fab night. I had a selection of starters for my mains as I couldn't decide what to have, and they were delicious. Unfortunately they must have contained lots of garlic as I'm being ostracised by my family this morning - no one is getting too close and actually physically backing away from me if I get to within 10 inches of their personal space! It was bloody good though and well worth it. Ill just have to enjoy my own company today!
We made sure that we mossie sprayed ourselves but I have a few bites this morning as do the others. The wild life up there was amazing. It was like having a nature lesson. We saw bats flying above our heads, an odd wasp, a flock/paddling/brace whatever of ducks and a mean looking land crab among other things scuttling about around our table!
Home for a quick nightcap with our lovely friends and we rolled into bed about 2am, bellies full and content after another brilliant day in our version of Heaven.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 17, 2015, 05:29:53 PM
ah you are well into the swing of things now...totally got your Kalkan swag on :)
Oh those dreadful sweaty uphill walks in August..how could I forget :P They mostly ended with an impromptu lashing of myself in the pool - on more than one occasion, fully clothed. A G&T under air con is so much more civilised. BTW, are you availing yourself of the teeny tiny slimline tonics from Yali or going straight for the full fat variety? I meant to say when we were in Kalkan, we found the sugar free still lemonade quite nice with a vodka or gin...topped up with a bit of plain sparkling water. Look for sekersiz on the bottles - available in all good supermarkets and some not so good ;)
Enjoy!
Post by: Babs on August 17, 2015, 08:46:32 PM
K4E were you a cocktail waitress in another lifetime?  :laugh:
Lizilu you are definitely into the way of things.....I seriously admire your staying power with all the late nights.....no wonder you were snoring!  ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 18, 2015, 06:10:09 AM
Loving your reports Lizzie, it's like I'm having my holiday twice!! :D :D :D :D
Post by: suzyq1 on August 18, 2015, 09:04:13 PM
Enjoying your reports Lizilu. Can't believe you are staying above Bob and Jayne. I can imagine the raucous times ahead! Sounds like you are having a great time. Enjoy and please keep posting when you get the time in between eating, drinking,sun bathing, swimming and having "fun in the sun"  8) 8) 8) 8) 
Post by: keith on August 18, 2015, 09:30:07 PM
Hi Lizilu....your trip up to Bodamya Tepe sounded really good although I'm not too sure about the land crab and other wild life!! As someone that enjoys to eat rather than to smell garlic I always insist that Tracey and I have similar meals.......that way we can still get to enjoy each others personal space.
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 19, 2015, 09:43:35 AM
Wednesday 19th August

And so the 'FUN IN THE SUN' continues, in fact I think we are having a little too much fun in the sun, missing a blog yesterday and rattling through the beroccas like they are going out of fashion! Shirl, you are a bad influence  >:D or is that me with you  ???  ;D

K4E - we have yet to spot the micro cans in Yali so full fat it is for now. Thanks for the tip re the lemon juice too.  :-*

Monday was spent in the lovely company of Bob and Jayne at Kalkan beach park. We were ferried over by the cute little wizened Captain in full 'love boat' captain's regalia. I believe he's actually not of pensionable age yet but a good advertisement for not slathering the factor 50 on the facial area.  8)
The beach club has been refurbished since last year and looks lovely, with extensive decking instead of the slimy slippery bit that extended to the sea. The decking seems a little precarious though and we watched quite a few people ( including the staff who maybe haven't got to grips with it yet ) trip over bits of stuck out planks and it wobbled quite a bit as people were walking  over it. Seemed sturdy enough though and fab for people watching. I was fascinated with an 'allo allo' policeman lookalike and was dying to hear him say "I was pissing by the door" but sadly it didn't happen  ;D
We stayed there all day and by the time we got home, sun frazzled and shattered, we could hardly be bothered to get ready again to go out, but we did and dragged ourselves round the town as we hadn't actually had a walk around the old town as yet. As Haybo mentioned, she found me in bag heaven, thankfully I hadn't reserved any as I had my sensible head on but I was very tempted. This was merely the start of my research for this holiday, much more perusing is needed before I commit.  :)
I didn't feel on top form and we decided to eat light, settling on somewhere we've never been before - the soup kitchen! We were shown to the kitchen for a visual guide and given a menu. I had meatballs, the others had wraps and a chicken casserole. The waiter was astounded when we shook our heads at his request for us to try the soup. Another time we promised him. With 2 rounds of drinks, the bill came to a ridiculous amount, approx 115 TL and the food was basic but really tasty. We had a drink in the moonlight bar , which was very quiet which enabled us to have a really good chat to Muhitdin, who confirmed that KAlkan is much quieter this summer.

Yesterday was our day out on sunset 3 with the gang. I didn't think I'd be able to make it as I awoke with the dreaded lurgy - I knew I felt off colour the previous evening, and didn't think I could be too far from a toilet, but things calmed down and seeing as I didn't actually feel sick we set off down cardiac hill, waving to suave cap'n Abdi from piña x on the way.
Like Haybo, I think I prefer a smaller boat but we had a fab day nonetheless and my tummy behaved itself enough for a little swim and some lunch.
Last night, Shirl and I and the rest of the gang decided to hit the town, and boy did we! I think this deserves a blog of its own so until tomorrow.....
Post by: janeb on August 19, 2015, 10:09:07 AM
 :)Hope you feel much better today. Talk about a cliff hanger! Can't wait until tomorrow blog. Enjoy today. 
Post by: RosiB on August 19, 2015, 10:24:37 AM
Sorry you're not feeling great, but you sound like you're having fun anyway! x
Post by: Haybo on August 19, 2015, 12:09:16 PM
It must have been a big night 'cos I was at Shirls at about 11 and there was not a peep from upstairs!
Post by: keith on August 19, 2015, 07:12:14 PM
Can't wait to read about your night on the town.....it sounds intriguing!!
Post by: Babs on August 19, 2015, 08:37:58 PM
We await with baited breath.......... :laugh:
Post by: clara 50 on August 19, 2015, 10:31:33 PM
Hilarious reports as usual. First time in eight years to not be able to visit Kalkan due to a serious family health issue so keep all your antics coming I'm living my hols through you all this year. Next year God willing we'll be there. Looking forward to tomorrow's report have a wondeful time hope hubby's shoulder holds out, have to keep it supple with plenty of Efes lifting excercises. Cheers to you all  :laugh:
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 20, 2015, 04:44:38 PM
Thursday 20th August

OH took great pains to remind me that on Monday night we also popped into botanik bar for cocktails. Sadly I wasn't feeling very well so nursed a vodka and coke but he and elder daughter had mudslides and they were amazing. I just had to have a little taste and it was pure heaven. This leads me on nicely to the main subject of todays offering - namely Lizzie and Shirls night out on the town.

We decided that Tuesday night would be bar crawl night ( a genteel and ladylike bar crawl of course! ) things don't always go as planned however so we didn't actually get very far, we didn't actually get any further than photos pizza I'm embarrassed to say but there was a very good reason for this and I blame Antler  >:D  :)
While I salivated at Antlers recipes and his tasty titbits of food descriptions, my OH salivated over his cocktail menu and was determined to taste a woo woo while the sun dipped behind Tortoise lady's rooftop patio and so we did and they went down a little too well, in fact they tasted like pop and w ewe re very thirsty! We then went down to BOb and JAynes to sample his metaxa and before we knew, it was nearly 10pm, and we were very merry.
I don't know if any of you have noticed the statue of cap'n Jack Sparrow outside the Yali but Jayne and I certainly made his aquaintace on Tuesday night. We thought we were on a photoshoot and had a good 10 mins of fun in various poses, draping ourselves all over him  ::) I'm sorry to say that by the time we staggered down to the taxi rank we could only get as far as photos pizza before we collapsed. It was the first time we had eaten there and definitely won't be the last. Very cheap drinks. Efes was 8TL and a glass of wine I think was 10TL. Unfortunately Shirl developed butterfingers and spilt most of hers, then totally unaware, dropped the glass on the floor and crunched over it to find a better signal for her phone  ;D. The food was really delicious too. We shared at pizzas, chips, salad and borek and it was so cheap. Even less money than the soup kitchen the night previously. We decided that we would skip the bar crawl for another night and decided on a nightcap at ours instead where we continued the. Photoshoot, this time adorned over the tartan shopping trolley  ;D
I promise we are very responsible ladies who usually drink very responsibly and are normally exceptional role models to our children but there's something about being on holiday and in Kalkan that makes me throw caution to the wind and act like a teenager who's been let out for the first time! Still Shirl and I have got it out of our systems now and normal service will be resumed...soon!!!

Yesterday we needed a hangover cure so what could be better than a full monty round at ours. We had bacon, eggs, sausages, sweet and garlicky tomatoes, beans, toast and bread. Yum yum it was good and had the desired effect. It's hard work sometimes cooking on holiday, different ovens, no microwave, no grill in the oven, no oven shelves, no oven dishes, but somehow we managed.
We had a pool day at the apartment, nursing our delicate constitutions and had a sedate evening, a little drink with the kaya boys and dinner at hunkars which was as delicious as ever. We waltzed home up the hill and nodded to cap'n Jack as we wended our way home after another fab day.  :)
Post by: Babs on August 20, 2015, 05:52:23 PM
 :laugh: :laugh:
Ladies I'm shocked!! Actually having seen the photos im not shocked! Please don't resume "normal service", although actually I think this is quite normal for when the girls are in town!  ;D ;D
Post by: janeb on August 20, 2015, 06:17:00 PM
Sounds a brilliant night out. Wish I was there. Do you think we ought to have EK badges to identify ourselves to each other or do you think the ones having the most fun are part of the EK family.  :D
Post by: tortoise lady on August 20, 2015, 06:20:31 PM
How about putting those photos on the forum gallery??   Sounds like you really made a night of it.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 20, 2015, 06:24:20 PM
Oh dear, a bar crawl that got as far as Yali Supermarket then on to Foto's...you two know how to live it up  :-*
I'm assuming the girls night out turned into a "we better go with them" for Bob and Automan - best laid plans eh? All that beautiful blinged footwear never got to strut on a dancefloor, around a bag..? Shame on you! But in true tradition, it was obviously a man's fault! Oh antler...how could you lead these ladies astray...hang your head in shame!
Fotos is one of our go-to places in Kalkan - love it there, amazing views (could you see them..?), wonderful staff and great prices. Nice honest food and a better setting than the Soup Kitchen, it has to be said....just not open as late as I'd like some nights.
Well, I hope Captain Jack recovered after the incident...that's all I can say - although I hear he was traumatised :laugh: :laugh:
Loving your reports, keep them coming and give Shirl a gentle nudge eh..?
Post by: keith on August 20, 2015, 08:09:14 PM
Sounds as though you had a really enjoyable evening even if the pub crawl was aborted before it really begun. I'm sure that Captain Jack Sparrow has an even bigger smile today as have I.
Post by: Skunk on August 20, 2015, 10:03:31 PM
Well really Jayne and Lizilu this is not for the faint hearted is it? Sounds like you are having a ball as I knew you would. Where are the photos? S xxx
Post by: Babs on August 20, 2015, 10:06:41 PM
Oops....sorry! Did someone mention incriminating photos??  ;D ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 20, 2015, 10:44:24 PM
...for the privileged few on Facebook, Skunk :) ;). Go find!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 21, 2015, 08:22:13 AM
Oh dear, well Lizilu has said it all! We have had and are all having a fabulous holiday.

Jx
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 21, 2015, 08:26:43 AM
Friday 21st August

I don't think that my ageing body can keep up with this partying lifestyle. Either that or I've found the font of eternal youth, gracefully plonking me around my teenage years as for the past 2 mornings I've woken up with a crop of pimples on my chin. Horrible little white bumps just ripe for squeezing. What's going on? I've mentally prepared myself for menopause and now puberty is slapping me in the face again.  :o

Yesterday was spent sweatily trudging around the market, 3 DVD's for 10TL, a couple of kilos of spices later and we were good to go.
We decided to spend the rest of our day relaxing at the asfiya sea view again. We love it there, it's in a beautiful location and the staff can't do enough for you. The pool is quite shallow and always warm - yesterday it was 27 degrees centigrade, just like a comforting warm bath and don't get me started on those sunbeds again. After a delicious lunch it was time to snuggle down in the shade for a post prandial snooze. True to form I managed a good hour, even my new Victoria Hislop holiday read couldn't keep me enthralled enough to stay awake.
What was even nicer though was that Jayne's lovely daughter has arrived and we all spent the day together. It's her first time in kalkan and she already appears to love it.
We were determined to be on our best behaviour last night, to eat at a nice restaurant and have a couple of cocktails at black and gold.
Hmm, it didn't quite happen. We headed straight to black and gold (after I'd popped in to BSG and ordered 2 bags) and ended up spending most of the night in there, nibbling on the delicious free snacks so much that none of us were in the mood for food. After many lovely cocktails and wine, we staggered on to botanik to do it all again. There was a tree next to us that was perfect for straddling and so another photoshoot was suddenly called for and Shirl and I draped ourselves around it in various supermodel  ::) poses. The photo evidence this morning unfortunately confirms that no talent scout worth his salt would hire us.  ;D
So a chicken wrap at the soup kitchen it was as we staggered home and fell into a taxi at the rank.
Today I'm feeling a little bit delicate to say the least so brunch at chillies and a berocca will
hopefully sort my banging head out!  :)
Post by: Babs on August 21, 2015, 08:31:15 AM
Oh Lizilu.........hang your head in shame!!  :laugh: :laugh:
And then do it all over again tonight, I am so impressed with your staying power! Don't worry about the pimples it's just an added bonus of being in the sun all day  ::)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 21, 2015, 08:40:45 AM
Oh Lizzie, I am laughing down here, I've just done my blog and knew you would tell the truth, then I look and you certainly have! lol!  No more drinking for me, Captain Sensible from now on..........

Sx
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 21, 2015, 02:06:26 PM
First of all...you are on holiday so drinking to excess is very much allowed.
Secondly, Lizilu the menopause is all things that puberty was plus some added extras...so be prepared for all manner of odd things from teenage spots to hot flushes and you wont go far wrong! Damn those hormones :P
Your night last night sounded just like one of ours where we have availed ourselves of the free nibbles which takes the edge off your hunger and makes you believe you are immune to the affects of alcohol. Then you start enjoying the cocktails and get chatting then next thing you know you're in the Soup Kitchen. Don't fret too much...be afraid though when they know your order and just bring it without you having to ask for it. Spicy lentil soup, Chilli Eggs, large beer and a large bottle of water are often in front of us before you can say Merhaba, nasilsin.
I'm so enjoying both your blogs and the different perspectives to the same evening :)
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 21, 2015, 02:50:58 PM
Ha Ha...that's a good un!! "it tasted like pop and we were very Thirsty!!!"...must remember that for my late home excuse book ;D :P
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 22, 2015, 05:52:55 AM
Wait with baited breath for the yesterday and last night's next instalment, we can be sensible trust us!!

:D :D
Post by: Babs on August 22, 2015, 06:32:59 AM
How very disappointing! ;D
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 22, 2015, 08:45:34 AM
Saturday 22nd August

Jayne is correct, we can be sensible and here's the proof  :D

Yesterday I awoke with a fresh crop of zits. I am now symmetrical in that I have a lovely pimply left chin to match the right hand side. Undeterred by my facial disfigurement we set off for brunch at chillies. We walked by the back roads, past the meldi and Korsan and it was so pretty, reminiscent of when we used to go to little Greek Islands. A previously for us, undiscovered part of Kalkan.

Brunch was amazing. I've heard that there is a new chef at chillies and certainly the presentation was immaculate but more importantly the food was delicious too. I can't comment on lunch or dinner but breakfast/brunch was spot on. We were already with Bob Jayne and Katie and met haybo and her family there for their last breakfast before departing later in the day.
We all had various themes of breakfast. I had a Turkish breakfast along with some of the others and some had full English and one menemen. The Turkish breakfast was huge - I could only make a small dent in it. Chillies have shared my pic on Facebook so if any of you are on there take a peek. It was lovely and everyone seemed to enjoy their choice too.

Poor Bob and Automan have been plagued with aches and pains this holiday but my magic pills have sorted them out. My knees have been a bit gyppy too but I put that down to all the exercise they are having. One thing about staying in town is that nowhere is too far away and it's great being able to stroll around without the need for taxis. As lovely as a villa up in the Gods is for the views, you can't beat being nearer town. It's a real novelty to us.

We spent the afternoon lounging around the apartments pool and boy was it hot yesterday. I'm pretty sure that yesterday was the hottest so far, the first time I've really felt the utter exhaustion that heat makes you feel. It was even an effort to slide into the pool and me and my Walter were inseparable. He kept gravitating toward Bob though - I think Walter is batting for the other team this holiday  :o

Last evening we spent a fabulous few hours with the gang on our moonlight cruise on the yildiz 2. It was fantastic. As usual Osman and his lovely family went out of their way to ensure we enjoyed ourselves and provided a spread to die for. We watched the sun, red as the fireball it is, slowly disappear, squashing down on the horizon until no more, then the unusual bright orange crescent moon became its replacement. We bobbed along in a soporific state of total relaxation, watching the stars above twinkling and the sea black as the night sky with tiny cusps of silver glinting in the moonlight. As a family we lay together and discussed our futures, hopes dreams and ambitions - our elder daughter making us giggle as she wants to open a shack on a Caribbean beach that will eventually become so popular she will own the island. Ahhh sweet teenage dreams  :)

All this and only 2 glasses of wine. See we can do sensible  ;D
Post by: suzyq1 on August 22, 2015, 09:26:52 AM
Quote "All this and only 2 glasses of wine. See we can be sensible"

Now now girls, be honest, was  it more of a case that you were both still  hungover and suffering from the effects of a bit of sea sickness!   >:D
You will laugh but I have been known on occasions ( when I have over indulged) to take my sea sickness tablets just so I can lay out on the floating rafts at the beach clubs!
Are you planning to go back again to Kalkan Beach club as I have a little photographic job for you or Jayne! Don't worry it doesn't involve pirates or trees  ;D ;D

Continue having fun in the sun! :)
Post by: Skunk on August 22, 2015, 12:47:05 PM
Sounds like another great day was had by all.
Post by: Skunk on August 22, 2015, 01:03:48 PM
Sounds like another great day was had by all.
Post by: samson on August 22, 2015, 02:47:37 PM
 :) Think the outbreak of spots you are getting is what I used to call Geriatric Acne ! when I was a "Woman of a Certain Age "  :) The good thing is that when you get to 60 they all clear up !!! ;D
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 22, 2015, 02:53:20 PM
Yep!!!! your zits will go ..then you will grow grey hairs on your chin the thickness of milk straws >:D :P
Post by: keith on August 22, 2015, 03:52:56 PM
Lizilu....another great post!! You almost turned into a romantic novelist as you described the evening on Yildiz 2. A very descriptive and captivating piece of writing.
Post by: Haybo on August 23, 2015, 06:48:40 AM
BL...they're not grey hairs, they are strands of glitter......
Post by: RosiB on August 23, 2015, 08:10:45 AM
Exactly what my grandson says, "Your hair's not grey - it's glittery!"
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 23, 2015, 09:12:27 AM
Sunday 23rd August

Oh dear, feeling a little 'fuzzy' this morning. 2 new zits and the start of a cold sore not helping matters as I gazed in the mirror this a.m. desperately trying to get my blurry eyes to focus. Thank you Keith for your lovely comment and sadly BL, I already have the whiskers and own various implements of torture to remove the blighters. Ladies, you are lucky that your chin hairs are glittery silver strands of wispiness. Mine are more Desperate Dan style sadly  :)

Yesterday we spent the day sunning ourselves around the pool in the apartments, breaking the day up with a stroll to yali for lunch provisions. We ate al fresco on the balcony, watching the world go by and happy that the little stroll to yali was much nicer than our usual Saturday 'big shop' at tesco/morrisons/asda. No trollies banging into my ankles and dodging pensioners as I whip around the aisles in a Lewis Hamilton fashion, desperate to get the shopping done so I can finish the housework and get 3 loads of washing laundered before work/school/college on Monday. Oh no, my Saturday was blissful in comparison to normal. I couldn't help myself and washed all the apartment towels though - it was Saturday after all!

Last night it was finally the last leg of my Golden Birthday Celebrations. I've stretched this birthday out as long as I possibly can but it has to come to an end soon and what better way than to end the celebrations in Kalkan, in one of our favourite restaurants with our lovely friends. So off we toddled to Mussakka, stopping off for a swift drink at Lime on the way.
Lime was very nice and we've heard that their burgers are pretty good too. The waiter looked at me a little oddly when I asked for raki and sprite, "really? oh okaaay" was his response. I guess it's not the traditional way to drink it but I love the taste combo.
We then made our slightly merry way to Mussakka and were given a huge welcome from Mehmet and his crew. The food as usual was delicious. I had my favourite creamy chicken livers to start followed by a summer steak and it was exceptional. Perfection on a plate.
No desert for me as I was stuffed but suddenly the gentle background music exploded into life and sparklers appeared, all the waiters gathered around me, sang happy birthday and presented me with a beautiful desert platter, the plate etched with chocolate, proclaiming 'happy birhtday' (sic)  :D apparently Jayne had a sneaky word earlier with Mehmet as although this was planned as the last of my birthday treats, I hadn't mentioned it when we booked.
Mehmet joined us for a chat and asked me if my birthday was today, I sheepishly muttered "actually it was in July" and hung my head in shame. He burst out laughing, shaking his head saying that in Turkey, birthdays were definitely not celebrated in such an elaborate fashion  :)
After a fabulous time in Mussakka we headed off to our new favourite haunt, black and gold.
A few vodkas and one shisha later, we staggered home, got as far as Bob and Jaynes balcony and we were so thirsty, we just had to sink another vodka or two.  ::)

I'm paying the price this morning  ::) :) ;)
Post by: BarbH on August 23, 2015, 09:45:38 AM
Hi Lizzie,

Sounds like the birthday celebrations have gone on pretty well, dread to think how the next BIG one will go down in 10 years time!!! :laugh:

Like you I always have leminade with Raki and get the same strange looks. Cannot drink it with water like the turks do.

Hope the spots clear up soon...probably the alcohol clearining the blood!!!! Enjoy the rest of the hold!

Barb
Post by: Chris_S on August 23, 2015, 12:10:26 PM
Some of us that use the Meldi as our base, refer to the walk into town along Nilüfer Sokak as "Bougainvillea Boulevard".

Strictly unofficially, of course!

Once you've used this route to Chillies and the town, you never use the Kalamar Road (Cumhuriyet Caddesi) again...

Quite apart from the unevenness of the footpath, the traffic's a lot safer, though the short cut through the old car park to the main town roundabout was not always open last year, alas.

15 days and counting...
Post by: Babs on August 23, 2015, 01:02:02 PM
I am all in favour of dragging birthday celebrations out.......especially the 'big' ones.....my golden birthday lasted a good 3/4 weeks......and now I'm building up to the 'diamond' birthday, much to my horror!  :o
Post by: BarbH on August 23, 2015, 01:30:27 PM
Quite agree chris, trouble these days I have to go by taxi and they always turn into Kalkamar road :(

When we first  went to the Meldi we could not walk through as there was a wall across and so we used to walk along the coastal road which was also very pretty, have not managed this route for a few years now and I guess it is now built up a lot more,

Really envious of all those about to go on holiday. have a great time.

Hope the golden birthday continues Lizzie,
Post by: Skunk on August 23, 2015, 02:59:41 PM
Sounds like Moussaka  turns out to be a good replacement for Odak and really glad Jayne arranged a fiery finish to the proceedings.  ;D
 Can't quite understand why that was the final fling for the Golden Birthday bash - are you planning to live like paupers for the rest of your holiday? Can't quite see it somehow! Only two weeks until we go ourselves so I'm just starting the usual process of preparation  :o :( 8). Let me know of any recommendations - including a few dance bars now that my hips are cured!  ;D ;D ;D
Post by: Skunk on August 23, 2015, 03:41:28 PM
Sounds like Moussaka  turns out to be a good replacement for Odak and really glad Jayne arranged a fiery finish to the proceedings.  ;D
 Can't quite understand why that was the final fling for the Golden Birthday bash - are you planning to live like paupers for the rest of your holiday? Can't quite see it somehow! Only two weeks until we go ourselves so I'm just starting the usual process of preparation  :o :( 8). Let me know of any recommendations - including a few dance bars now that my hips are cured!  ;D ;D ;D
Post by: suzyq1 on August 23, 2015, 09:10:34 PM
Oh Lizilu sorry to hear you were suffering a bit this morning, but I'm sure you are back out there again enjoying another great night in Kalkan. Hair of the dog and all that!

Sounds like you had another wonderful birthday celebration. Personally I would milk it for all it's worth. As far as I'm concerned the year doesn't finish until 31st December so keep going girl!

Thanks for passing my message to Shirl yesterday.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 24, 2015, 06:15:22 PM
Sometimes its the combination of thick high factor sunscreen and, in that heat, sweat that blocks the pores and causes spots. I keep a clean towel by my sunbed for ladylike dabbing of the sweat that sometimes comes over all manly and drips on my book  :o Most unladylike. The sun should dry them up...although I would be venturing along to my best friend the pharmacist for something to help them on their merry way.
Loving your reports and glad you enjoyed Mussakka - always a favourite and despite the smaller venue still delivering some of the best steaks in Kalkan. I was having a clear-out at the weekend and came across a picture of BH and I in the first Mussakka in 2009. In that first year Mehmet took a photo of diners at their table then printed it super-quick and included it with the bill - signing the back with the date. It was our second trip of the year late on in October and you can see the delight on our faces that he was still doing this right at the end of the season. We also look young and considerably slimmer :'(
I think if the queen can have a jubilee year the queen of Kalkan can too. Keep going until someone says otherwise :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 25, 2015, 08:02:26 AM
Tuesday 25th August

How I love my mornings in kalkan. Every day we are woken up to a cafetière of ground coffee left outside our front door by Shirl. In fact bit of a routine going on now and it's very much appreciated.

One new neck boil and only 2 chin zits this morning so hopefully the peri-menopausal acne is starting to calm down a bit!

So where were we? Sorry for not posting yesterday but it was a busy one. Sunday was spent at the lovely Asfiya again after a very nice breakfast at bread and more. It was the first time we had been there but definitely not the last. Not sure if I'd like to go for dinner as there are so many other restaurants to choose from, but my menemen was absolutely delicious and a good 9 on my menemen score card.
Sunday evening was spent at Asian Garry with the gang. The food was delicious as usual but the atmosphere was not quite the same as last year. Jawad and Emine his wife are a lovely couple who have just had another baby, so the lovely bubbly Emine of course wasn't there to greet us. I'm not sure of the politics there, but I believe that jawad has been let down by some of his staff and is having to do all of the cooking himself. He is a very good chef and as I said earlier, my dinner was delicious. I had a chicken shashlik with butter chicken sauce and it was really lovely. The meal unfortunately was marred by the arrival of a very rude customer.  This man and his lady companion were extremely rude to the waiters so jawad came out to speak to them and we overheard him tell poor jawad to F off!!! This was preceded by the rude man asking if the chef was Indian as they wanted authentic curry. His lady (and I use that term loosely) then said she wouldn't be staying if it wasn't a 'proper curry' and in the same breath asked if they did chips! Enough said!!!
We made our excuses and left, aghast at how some people can be so downright arrogant and feel as though they have the right to treat others so shabbily. I realised that I'd lost an earring at some point that evening and messaged Jawad. Despite the upset that had happened, he and his staff got on their hands and knees and looked for my earring, not only that night, but in the morning too. Sadly my earring could not be found, just like the rude mans manners.   :(

Yesterday was spent on the ocean wave with the suave captain Abdi on the lovely piña x. We had a fabulous day with the gang and I have to say that I think this is my favourite boat. It's really luxurious and really cannot be faulted in my eyes.
Shirl and I bobbed around like 2 little ducks with our noodles ( or woggles as Jayne calls them - it's a norf sahth thing  :) ), watching our daughters do daring jumps and dives from the side of the boat.
The evening culminated in a meal with the gang up on our roof terrace. Chef Bob made the most marvellous chicken, which we had with sausages, home made scrummy humous and various salads,  cheese and crusty bread. It was delicious. We were all shattered after our boat trip and were in bed by midnight.

Today we have wheels so watch out Kalkan and surrounding areas, it's road trip day!  ;D
Post by: onelove on August 25, 2015, 08:33:48 AM
Loving your holiday reports Lizilu20, sounds, as usual, that your all having a fantastic time in Kalkan.

Sad to read about that mans dreadful behaviour, why do people think they can treat others like that ? I mean what did he want....authentic 'chips & curry sauce'    I have spoken to Jawad & know he is very upset about the incident :-(((

Keep the reports coming, can't get enough :-)))
Post by: Babs on August 25, 2015, 08:40:58 AM
I suspect if you wanted an authentic "curry" cooked by an Indian chef it would be best to holiday in India?? ::) or at least a city in Britain........we visited our local Indian restaurant at the weekend and not surprisingly "curry" wasn't on the menu, and neither were chips!
Peri menopause breakouts aside, sounds like you are still having an amazing time.....even going to bed at midnight, knew you couldn't keep it up girls!!  >:D
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 25, 2015, 12:01:01 PM
Oh your fellow diners in Asian Gate sounded hideous....! What is wrong with people? I'm assuming they were British, which makes me ashamed of my country when you hear things like this.
What a shame for this lovely couple who try hard to please and are the epitome of politeness. I'm glad you had nice meals and enjoyed your visit - despite the obnoxious behaviour of this couple.
Cant wait to hear all about today s trip.
Post by: Skunk on August 25, 2015, 01:22:24 PM
We haven't  tried piña x yet but thankfully Shirl has booked us in during our holiday in September. Sounds like it should be a good trip. Those people at Asian Gate sound really obnoxious. Hope you have a great trip out today. Can't wait to hear all about it.  ;D ;D
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 26, 2015, 03:11:21 PM
Wednesday 26th August.

"We're on a road to nowhere"...or so it felt. After automan lived up to his name and collected the car we finally set off. He was getting very frustrated as he was up bright and early and us girlies were taking an age to get ready. Well you can't rush a woman, we need to apply moisturiser, sun cream, Check and double check bags, do we need towels?, pack them anyway, should I take my book? Have you got your lip balm? Tissues? Beach shoes? Shove 'em in anyway, lock the door, oh bloody hell I've forgotten my sunglasses, unlock the door, ear phones? No, Daaad, unlock the door pleeasse, I really need them And finally the door was locked and off we set. At last we were off, off in a motor car with hopefully no bobbies after us and hopefully we know where we are.  :)

So we rooted through the CD's in the glovebox and they all skipped like a warped scratched record on a turntable, other  than the best of the eurythmics, so that was to be our accompaniment for the day,  on a loop, until we could take no more and automan had to be physically restrained from shoving it where the sun don't shine.  ;D
We set off up the yayla road, past the villa where we stayed for the past years and on to the fork in the road. Left or right? Left it was, through bezirgan, stop off at the storage huts and a quick peek at the blokes playing Turkish backgammon in the meydan, no women about there. We did spot the women though - they were sitting cross legged in one of the gardens, looking like they were all peeling something,  obviously working hard and building up a sweat while the chaps sipped their chai oblivious.

We snaked up hill and down dale, via uzumlu until we hit the junction where you turn to sakklikent. We then turned left, joined the D400 at kinik and then on to patara where we met up with Bob, Jayne and KAtie. It was easy to spot them as Shirl purposely took her neon yellow high visibility beach cover up and there it was, wafting in the breeze from their umbrella, visible from the wooden walkway like a homing beacon.  :)
Quick chat then on to beach shack for lunch which was okayish.
Crikey it was hot on that beach and the sand was on fire. As hot as the hobs in hell as my dear departed Irish grandma used to say. We could only stand an hour then back to the blistering heat of the car and on to lavanta in convoy with the gang. They beat us to it as we went for a quick drive in search of the dunes but went the wrong way and never found them.  ::)

We all fell into the body temperature warm pool at lavanta as we were beyond sweaty and then needed magnums to revive us. Oh my word, creme brûlée magnums are the nectar of the Gods! Papatya cafe's menu up at Lavanta looks really good but unfortunately we had already eaten so couldn't sample anything. We stayed there for an hour or so before making our way home and launching ourselves in the apartment pool almost before automan had applied the handbrake.  8) 8)

Last night I collected one of my bags (clutch bag not ready) from BSG and we nipped in to fountain bar for refreshments. We hadn't decided where to eat but cafe del mar's roof terrace looked inviting so we ended up there. I had slow cooked lamb and it was really delicious, as were the rest of our meals. Free ice creams for afters and we were good to go.
We'd arranged to rendezvous with the gang but we were all shattered after our respective road trips, so after a brief chat we went our separate ways. We meandered up to the moonlight bar for a quickie on the way to the taxi rank, the others preferring to get a taxi from the harbour.
And so endeth another blissful but busy day with road trip take 2 to follow tomorrow...

Post by: BarbH on August 26, 2015, 03:48:38 PM
Have you ever thought of writing a book Lizzie? You certainly make interesting reading. Sounded like another good day for all.

I bet automan could oot get back to Kalkan for a drink after all the driving in that het.

Just to let everyone know in Kalkan, here in the UK it is p--ing down and not that warm, pity anyone on holiday here, they must be fed up getting rusty instead of a  sun tan. :(
Post by: MartynE on August 26, 2015, 05:01:58 PM
Just to let everyone know in Kalkan, here in the UK it is p--ing down and not that warm, pity anyone on holiday here, they must be fed up getting rusty instead of a  sun tan. :(

Rusty? I've now got webbed feet!
Can't wait to get back to Kalkan for six weeks on 20th Sept - it's been a horrid summer here and such a shock to the system after spending the last two years in Kalkan :(
Great reports btw Liz!
Post by: Holidaylover28 on August 26, 2015, 05:49:24 PM
Totally agree some sunshine and heat can't come quick enough! Someone said yesterday "well we haven't had too bad of a summer!" :o ok if you count a total of a fortnights sun as summer!! ::)
Post by: Babs on August 26, 2015, 06:14:34 PM
I am so fed up of people telling me it's been a good summer here!? Really, not where I've been it hasn't! I can tell how good a summer it's been by the number of times I've walked the dog on week days in shorts......1!
So jealous of all you people enjoying the sun in Kalkan......I'm counting down the minutes practically till we go to Andalusia in October, it had better be sunny!  8)
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 26, 2015, 06:21:31 PM
Its been a rotten UK summer for anyone north of Watford...although my London pals say its not been brilliant either. All the bad weather is coming off that westerly jet stream which appears to have got stuck over us in Wales :( :(
I'm looking forward to a bit of Greek sunshine come Friday :)
Your road trip sounded fab Lizilu - other than the Eurythmics :P We never made it to Cafe Del Mar's new venture on the roof - good to hear you enjoyed your meals.
thanks for keeping up with the blog - its great to read what you all get up to - even if its nothing. I can taste those Magnums...amazing!
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 26, 2015, 06:33:58 PM
We are on the south coast and can confirm that this year has been rubbish except for the few weeks when the whole of the UK had sun!!...Today we had flooding locally again!! Still only 294 days to go ::)  enjoying reading these reports

Babs...do people look at your dog and Wolf whistle when it wears shorts?? >:D
Post by: keith on August 26, 2015, 08:17:51 PM
There is no excuse for bad manners and offensive behaviour and I'm sorry if it spoilt your evening. If this obnoxious couple want authentic curry with chips they're probably better off staying in England and going to their local takeaway!! Apart from that experience it sounds as though you are having a really enjoyable holiday.
Post by: Babs on August 26, 2015, 08:39:17 PM
BL........ ;D ;D my dog is very fetching in his shorts......and as for his shades, well!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 27, 2015, 03:36:55 PM
Thursday 27th August

Hurrah!! No new zits and boil on neck is reducing nicely. Skin is looking a little more golden and my 'tache whiskers are also looking sun bleached. I'm too scared to remove them in case the dreaded spots come back. I'm glad I'm 50 as my through my rheumy eyes I look pretty damn good in the mirror until I put my readers on. Motto, blurry eyes give a very nice false sense of security. Just dont lean forward into a mirror as the jowl sag is never a good look. How come I didn't notice all these facial changes when I was 49??? I've obviously far too much time (and age spots) on my hands while I'm busy going nothing on holiday.  ;D

So road trip part 2 it was yesterday and what a trip that was - I'm still feeling traumatised!

We were more organised yesterday so a little after 9 am we set off on our mission to get to Kas via the mountain roads rather than the coastal D400. With a bit of spit and polish I fettled some of the other glove box CD's and managed to get Now 80something to work.
We confidently made our way out of Kalkan, stopping to take pics of the stunning scenery, until we came to the junction with Bezirgan to the left and Saribelen to the right. For the first time ever, we took a right and set off into the unknown. I'm not sure what happened really but we never found Saribelen, or any other town/village on our less than trusty map. We kept going uphill andbearing right, our logic being that the sea is to the right but after an hour or so, on the top of a mountain where we could see no sea, surrounded by a herd of woolly goats and no civilisation for over half an hour, no landmarks, road like a single Tarmac track, half a bottle of water between the four of us and less than a 1/4 of a tank of petrol, I began to feel a little bit of panic. I could hear the strains of paddy and max from the back seat 'don't know where we're going, got no way of knowing, driving on a road to nowhere' and that did it for me!
Automan could sense that I was little anxious. I think what gave it away was when he noticed I was making the sign of the cross and muttering to St Jude, the patron saint of lost causes. I snapped out of it though when we finally began to snake downwards and saw our first sign, something like Inzce (1km) and then finally Kas. We suddenly saw the welcome sight of sea and paragliders, so close to our heads we felt like we could reach up and touch them! We passed through a pretty little village with B and B's so we knew we were on to a winner and then a very windy mountain road with sudden and spectacular views of Meis, Kas and the KAs peninsular.
These views were seriously the best I've ever seen in my life, a real lump in the throat, tears welling, never to be forgotten moment. Definitely worth the very hairy over 2 hour expedition. If any of you out there recognise this unmarked route, please let me know where we went as the route didn't resemble anything on our map.
To say I was relieved to hit Kas town was an understatement. We managed to park up opposite the fountain and headed straight for the familiar sign of 'hunkar Okabasi'. It was 11.45 and we had set off just after 9am! They didn't really open up until 12 but could sense my plight, invited us in and before you could say 'make mine a doner' I had a fan wafting the perspiration away and a glass of ice cold Efes in my hand (should have been a brandy really!) at last I was relaxed.
After a delicious lunch, we had a stroll around town and set off back to Kalkan, on the coastal D400 this time! We intended to stop off at kaputas but there was literally nowhere to park. I've never seen it so busy, cars lining the curves of the road as well as treble parked in the lay-bys. It was even difficult to actually get through the road as it had narrowed to a track due to the amount of vehicles. Such a shame really. I wonder if this is because there is now the refreshment hut and loungers? So we carried on to see Adem and family at Adems place instead. It was quite busy and there was a coach load of what sounded like Russians dining so we didn't get much time for a chat as he was rushed off his feet. Was so nice to have five minutes with him though and a lovely refreshing cherry juice to keep us going on our journey back home.
A swift dip in the pool then blog time and before I knew it, it was time to get ready. Some friends were coming for drinks prior to dinner at alternatif so it was all systems go. Just before the gang and  friends arrived, Automan managed to crack his head on the roof terrace door and nearly passed out. I heard a yell, then saw him stagger towards me with blood dripping down his head. Straight on the bed as he was seeing stars while I tended to his abrasion, desperately trying to avoid the blood going on the crisp white bedding and my crisp white outfit! He certainly picks his moments.  :)

We had a lovely hour with drinks and gorgeous nibbles. The nibbles provided by Bob and JAyne and more of Bob's delicious hummus, marinated olives, cheese, crackers, nuts, baklava bites and sweet succulent grapes fresh from our friends grapevine from their villa in Uzumlu. I had to be so careful not to overindulge as chateaubriand was waiting for us in town. After collecting my bag from BSG, we enjoyed dinner together, on to fener for ice creams, then dispersed our separate ways. We had an after dinner cocktail at yakamoz and pitched ourselves on the 'thrones' watching the world go by, what could be better than this? Apple maritini's, Cuba libre and reflecting on the day's events.  :)
Post by: janeb on August 27, 2015, 04:15:06 PM
 :) wow wow wow. I just love your posts. What a day; sounds fun, scary and a day to remember always. So glad the blemishes are improving lol. Hope automan is okay.

You have a fab way with words. Your posts and that of others make me love Kalkan even more.  Thank you.  :laugh:
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 27, 2015, 04:26:43 PM
Thanks Janeb and to all for your lovely comments. We are having a ball here and don't want it to end. Haybo, thanks for the chateaubriand recommendation. I forgot to say just how lovely it was.  :-*
Post by: Haybo on August 27, 2015, 06:09:13 PM
So glad you enjoyed it.  Your road trip sounds like the one we made to Elmali...i was v stressed about that, but had a good time in the end. Looking forward to a wave tomorrow!
Post by: Kalkan regular on August 27, 2015, 06:31:51 PM
I think you missed a right turn in Saribelen, which is very close after you turned right onto new territory. It's not very well signposted and doesn't look like a major turn so instead of going towards Gokceoren & Cukurbag you headed up into the hills and you are right there is no habitation on that route and no signage. If you look on the map you bypassed Ugrar before you dropped down to Kas.

I know because even though we have done the correct mountain route to Kas many times last time we did it I was chatting, we missed the turning and did the route you took. You climb a lot, it's very interesting but a worry when you don't know where you are!
Post by: keith on August 28, 2015, 06:24:38 AM
Another extremely descriptive post that had me hanging on every word. Your road trip to Kas sounded quite an adventure but at least you all survived to tell the tale.
Post by: RosiB on August 28, 2015, 07:16:06 AM
Hi, Liz - fab post! We've done your scary roadtrip to Kas! It is very beautiful, though!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 28, 2015, 08:47:08 AM
Friday 28th August

Another beautiful day today, the sun is blazing down and barely a wisp of cloud in the sky. The boats are just setting off on their day trips, chugging out of the harbour in convoy and I'm nursing another hangover.  ::) thank goodness for Shirl's coffee.  8)

Thanks for your replies - kalkan regular, you're right and thank you. I remember seeing that turn but thought it was a road leading to a villa as it didn't look like a main road. Now I know exactly where we went wrong, we will just have to do it again next year but take the correct turn next time. It was very scenic and atmospheric, but yes, it was scary being in unknown territory with no sign of habitation.  :o

Yesterday was a mooching day. We finally got the girls out of their pit after banging the bedroom door a few times. Why oh why do teenagers think it's acceptable to act like rip van winkle when there is so much to see and do on holiday. One just couldn't drag herself away in time for our lift to the market from Bob, but 3 of us made it. The market was quite quiet yesterday and we made it to the end without melting. Our youngest got herself a pair of converse and I got myself some barbecue sis spice.
We walked back home, stretching our calf muscles up the yali hill and collected daughter number 2, hardly fresh as a daisy but at least awake enough to continue on our journey up the kalamar road and on to cafe vita for brunch. It was hard going in the heat up that short but sharp incline but we made it and spent a good hour and a bit eating lovely grub. Armed with yet another cafe vita shopper to add to the supermarket carrier bag collection, we made our way home, tummies full and bodies sluggish after our feast.
What to do for the afternoon? A pool day was in order - so we had fun in the sun with the inflatables and of course my lovely Walter. The apartment pool is fab. It's in a courtyard and somewhat shaded so it's always cold and refreshing, just what you need in this heat.

Last night was our trip to gourmet with the gang. It started off well but unfortunately the night was marred by the waiter tripping behind me and poring a full carafe of red wine over my shoulder, all down my top, new mulberry bag and white jeans, with a lovely spray for good measure over our daughter too. OMG!!!you could have heard a pin drop. Everybody on that top terrace was looking at us and the waiter started laughing!!!! I wasn't bloody laughing, I was bloody annoyed. I think it was nerves though as he quickly whisked us away, and like Mr muscle, armed with vanish spray, he squirted away until the red wine stains finally began to fade. We were gone a while and while we were away, apparently the rest of the gang were left unattended, the staff seemingly not knowing what to do. Upon my return, looking like a drowned rat and smelling of chemicals, the service was resumed. We were undecided whether or not to stay or go, but after profuse apologies from the management, offer to launder the clothes and free wine (unlimited) we decided to stay and eventually a good night was had by all. The food was amazing, I couldn't resist who let the chickens out again - it's so good.
So after drinking my body weight in wine, and taking a bottle home for later, I'm feeling the after effects this morning.
I wonder what today will bring?  ;D
Post by: RosiB on August 28, 2015, 09:40:07 AM
Oh, no!!! Did the bag survive?
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 28, 2015, 09:42:19 AM
Which one? Me or the mulberry  ;D  ;D  :(
Post by: BarbH on August 28, 2015, 10:50:58 AM
Of course she meant you Lizzie, you can always buy another Mulberry :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: Skunk on August 28, 2015, 03:36:43 PM
Oh my God I would have been furious!  >:(You poor thing. still the free wine must have been worth it in the end, hangover excluded! just seen today's photos on Facebook and it looks like a hair of the dog may have done you good! That road trip sounds really scary - there would have been loads of squeaks if it was me.  :o :o :o
Great blogs Lizzie, lovely to hear all the news. Hope OH feels better after his head bang. Xxx
Post by: Babs on August 28, 2015, 06:44:31 PM
Never a dull moment!? Of course that wouldn't have happened if you weren't wearing white jeans! Poor you........did the bag recover?  ::)
Post by: RosiB on August 28, 2015, 09:54:30 PM
Would I call you a bag??!!!! Never!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 29, 2015, 05:47:17 AM
Lizzie you definitely should write a book! sat here catching up and reliving our holiday, hasn't it just been fab?  :D :D :D
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 29, 2015, 07:14:11 AM
Saturday 29th August.

Where's my coffee Shirl?  ??? ;D

Yes, this holiday has well and truly been fun in the sun and fantastic staying above Bob and Jayne. We still have tomorrow left but now I'm starting to think about running the apartment fridge down and the dreaded packing. We are trying to cram as much as possible into every waking minute now.

Yesterday automan and I prepared breakfast for the family. I had a Turkish breakfast and he and the girls had bacon, eggs and beans. We haven't done much cooking really this holiday but we needed use the last of our contraband bacon up and it was delicious.
We spent the day sunning ourselves at the asfiya again. We love it down there and the staff are so accommodating. Unfortunately our youngest had a little accident. She was getting out of the pool and somehow managed to graze her knee. Although it was only a graze, it bled profusely and as soon as the staff noticed, it was all systems go. I asked one of the waiters if they had any plasters, he sent another to stay with us, while he went off in search, then came back with the reception guy and another member of staff who was presumably the first aider, who deftly applied a fantastic waterproof dressing to our daughters knee while the crowd of staff around us made encouraging noises. I felt like giving them a round of applause afterwards.  :) Overseeing all this was a guy who was casually dressed but looked like he had a lot of clout as the other staff actually bowed to him. After the drama was over, he announced that she could now go back into the pool and there were high fives all round.  :)
After all that, it was time for cocktail of the day which yesterday was a frozen watermelon margarita and very good it was too. We lolled about all afternoon and returned home about 5pm, just about to launch ourselves in the apartment pool when we saw a greeny/yellowy slimy looking snake slither past us on the courtyard wall and into the nook area. One look at each other and we did a quick U turn and bombed up the apartment steps, quick as a flash! No words needed other than screams!
After such trauma there was only one thing to do, get up on the roof terrace with a frozen gummy bear woo woo and watch the sun gently drop from the sky with chilled background music accompaniment from the beatspill which we bought last year from the market and is still going strong.  :) Aw it was lovely, and so were the woo woo's.  ;D

We didn't see the gang yesterday as they were on a boat trip and shattered upon their return so we spent the evening as a family, first stopping at the mini bar for an aperitif, then into infinity for my rings cleaning and re dipping, as usual, no charge, just tip the bloke that does it. How kind is that? So we tipped well.

We dined at Smyrna last night at it was really delicious. We didn't order starters as the freebie nibbles were amazing - garlic bread and mezze all on the house! I had sea bass stuffed with garlic prawns, the others had lamb shank, slow roasted lamb and a penne arrabiata. 2. rounds of drinks, one free special Ramis coffee and 2 free almond liqueurs, all for less than 200 TL!!!! Amazing value for money, yummy food and such a lovely atmosphere. We had a message from Bob to say they were at black and gold but when we got there, they had just left unfortunately. It was really strange not seeing them yesterday. I felt like a part of me was missing without my Shirl. Goodness knows what I'm going to do without her for another year  :'(

Anyway, today has dawned as beautiful as ever, the sun is already beating down and I'm just about to get cracking for another day of fun in the sun, oh and my brew has just arrived behind the front door. Thanks Shirl  :-* :-*

Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 29, 2015, 08:24:12 AM
Aww Lizzie, we are so going to miss you guys too, that mid way meet up in the UK is definitely going happen! Fab post, and we'll definitely be having fun in the sun with you guys tonight!  :D :D :D

Sx
Post by: keith on August 29, 2015, 11:24:27 AM
Really enjoyed reading all about your holiday escapades Lizzie. Tracey and I have been nowhere near as adventurous but are thoroughly enjoying our lazy days by the pool.
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 30, 2015, 07:52:52 AM
Sunday 30th August ... Last full day   :'(  :'( :'(

So we go home tomorrow morning and like Shirl yesterday, I'm not feeling the love today. Automan and I have just drained the dregs from the cafetière of delicious freshly brewed coffee, left on our doorstep again this morning. I've already packed one case and will finish the others later, when I'm more in the mood, if I ever will be. The only thing that's consoling me is the thought of seeing our lovely family and crazy hound Charlie but I'm sure I could have managed at least another week without any further withdrawal symptoms  :)

We decided to spend yesterday at the beach - can't believe it was our first time there this holiday and we had a fabulous day. The sunbeds were a little more uncomfortable than last year due to no cushions but otherwise all was well. As it was Saturday, there were a lot of Turkish families on the beach and it was fab for people watching. On the sun bed next to us was a sun gnarled Turkish guy with a huge moustache, reminiscent of a walrus' tache and I couldn't help but steal a glance as he unwrapped his sandwich lunch from newspaper and think, what a blooming good life he has. Imagine spending Saturday's on the beach with your butties, instead of dashing round the supermarket, washing, ironing, cleaning etc.
Automan and I have made a vow to try and make weekends less manic and actually try to do some relaxing on a Saturday.
We ate lunch at the ridiculously cheap beach cafe, which was similar in quality to the beach shack at patara. My burger was really nice for 5TL and I have no complaints. The service was good - a lovely cheeky little boy, practising his English and we all cleared our plates. Just don't go expecting gourmet food and you won't be disappointed.
The sea was exceptionally bracing yesterday and literally took your breath away in the shallows but a few warm patches were to be found a little further out. While we were swimming and sunning ourselves, a mysterious looking black boat made an appearance and did a few circuits of the harbour. At one angle, it looked like there was nobody at the helm and it was quite creepy.  :o
Some extremely stupid young lads were swimming beyond the buoys to the other side of the harbour and dodging the beach club  boats. 

Oh no just had a message that the electricity is going off in 5 mins for 24 hours so I'll resume later.
Post by: Haybo on August 30, 2015, 07:56:45 AM
No leccy? Not a great end to your stay...hope there is a generator, or you will need the torches on your phones!   have a great last day x
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 30, 2015, 08:28:48 AM
Just catching up with your blog, Lizzie. You've had an eventful few days havent you...? I wouldn't have liked the road trip - I must admit..although it sounded fabulous in the end.
Kaputas is certainly busier since the beach facilities were upgraded...we only went when we had our boat (and I wouldnt repeat that experience again in a hurry) this year. It's still lovely, but I do miss how it used to be :(
I was horrified to hear of your Gourmet experience....Oh dear Lord what a nightmare. Red wine and white clothes are a terrible mix...and the new Mulberry??? I hope you were able to get the stains out of everything in the end?
I think when you were at Asifya Seaview the chap who seemed to be in charge was probably Aslan...he's in charge of Kalkan really ;) So bowing would definitely be in order from his staff.
Cant believe you are at your last day...where has that time gone? You've certainly packed the days out and kept us entertained with your reports. 24 hrs without electricity is very harsh in that heat - must be something serious..? Does your place have a back-up generator? Hope so, if not its going to be a tough last day/night.
Thanks for taking the time to post  :-*
Post by: Skunk on August 30, 2015, 02:03:08 PM
Hope there's a generator at the hotel otherwise you really will be stuck. Have a lovely last day and safe journey home. Thanks for the blogs sure has brightened up the gloom over here.  ;D ;D
Post by: janeb on August 31, 2015, 08:50:38 PM
Hope you had a great last day and are now home safe and sound and hopefully without any of the problems experienced by Haybo.

I've loved everyone of your posts. You certainly packed allot in, 

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your holiday with us, it's been such fun.
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 01, 2015, 12:34:28 PM
Tuesday 1st September

Well, where was I...

I was mid sentence when alerted by a very reliable source that the electricity was to go off in 5 mins for the next 24 hours, following an unintelligible but official sounding message over the town tannoy from a muffled sounding Turkish lady who included the dialing tone as well. I quickly abandoned my blog and we peeled our daughters from their cocoon's, thinking that they would want to put their phone's on charge for a few minutes, I drained the washer of water as I was mid cycle and prepared for the worst. Guess what, the electricity didn't go off  ???
We then got another text from our reliable source AKA BOB!!!!! 'Ha ha, got you, just joking!!!!'  :o ::) ;D ;)
Hmm some joke Bobby, especially when we did in fact lose our internet strength so I couldn't resume my blog, sorry all and don't worry, we made him pay  ;D Bob you have been named and shamed and I'm sorry for any misinformation I gave to you all.  :-[

So we enjoyed a lovely day on the beach, watching the idiots cross the shipping lanes to the other side of the harbour while barking like seals and I cringed every time they and the beach club boats were in the same vicinity.

We stayed on the beach for most of the day then got a taxi up cardiac hill as we  were far too hot and bothered to walk.
Saturday night was spent at the Marina for our final ' last supper gang dinner' and what a fab night we had. There was dancing, a bit of singing, and nearly another birthday celebration for me as Jayne tried to convince Mario and the guys that it was my birthday (again  ::)), however as most of the guys there are my facebook friends, they knew that it wasn't but we had such fun pretending  :D ;)

Sunday was another Asfiya day with the gang (following Bob's little teaser), at least our girls were out of their pits in record time and we wandered down without Bob, as he had already sneaked off earlier, like a naughty school boy afraid of the flack he was going to have rained down on him. This made us laugh as usually we synchronised times to meet etc. I can tell you we made the most out of watching him squirm when we arrived.  ;D Cocktail of the day was a blue Hawaii and didn't touch the sides.
We enjoyed a delicious last lunch together and lolled about all afternoon. Jayne and Katie went off for their pedicures and we took our final stroll up the hill and back to the apartment.

To be continued...

Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 01, 2015, 04:52:34 PM
Fab post Lizzie, going to be strange not posting on here for what now seems like an age doesn't it! Look forward to your final instalment.  xx
Post by: Babs on September 01, 2015, 09:06:34 PM
Hooray......more to come!  :laugh:
Post by: Skunk on September 01, 2015, 11:46:28 PM
Oh yes look forward to that!
Post by: Haybo on September 02, 2015, 06:16:50 AM
Great to have met you Lizzie! I think we are down to just keith posting at the moment...then what? Times are tough....come on someone...pick up the baton!
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 02, 2015, 08:53:46 PM
Wednesday 2ND September...post holiday blues  :'(

I'm really sorry for dragging this on but I've been ever so busy since returning home. Cases are empty, washer has been on virtually 48 hours non stop as has the dryer as it's been tipping it down since we got home. Even hailstones and thunder yesterday. Work has been manic and only now am I able to sit down and transport myself back to Kalkan and relive our final couple of days...

So here goes...Sunday evening and it was time to say our goodbyes to Bob, Jayne and Katie. Saying goodbye is always hard, especially when you know it's going to be a long time until you see your friends again and this goes for our friends in Kalkan too. Sunday seemed to be a day of goodbyes all round and it was horrible. It's not just about going back to work and the daily grindstone, but about having to leave special people and knowing that life in Kalkan still goes on as tourists/seasons come and go but you're not part of it, only in memories and daydreams. I hate last days, I torture myself with "this time last week we were at the beach club" etc. Not good.  :( So after drinks and hugs and tears with the gang, we moved on to drinks and hugs and tears at our various favourite haunts in town. I was a wreck by the time we'd made it to sweet dreams to say goodbye to Ibo and his lovely wife Paula and had to make sure I didn't contaminate their delicious Turkish delight with my tears  :'(
We had no plans on where to eat dinner, preferring to see where the night and our mood took us. The girls did a bit of shopping for souvenirs and we mooched aimlessly. As we were in the vicinity and had never eaten there before, we decided to try the Old Trading House. I don't think I've seen it mentioned on the forum much so in for a penny and all that. It was actually quite nice. I didn't realise that it was a hotel too and it was lovely and quirky inside. Seeing as wild boar was a speciality, Automan and I decided to opt for that and the girls had lamb shank and a garlic chicken dish. Previous to our mains were freebies of garlic bread and mezes and chocolate fondant pud for afters was enjoyed by our youngest. We also got complimentary liqueurs and delicious Turkish coffee served in traditional, ornate little porcelain cups with silver lids. A final cocktail in Black and Gold and that was us done for the night and for this year.

Monday was home time and luckily we had an early start so at 9.20am we were off, climbing the D400 and silently saying our own personal goodbyes to Kalkan until next year. The journey home was uneventful, apart from younger daughter making good use of the sick bags and me losing a perfect square of my full big toe nail varnish on the aisle and unable to reach it,  watched everyone crunch their way over it until all that remained was little sparkles of  glitter over the cabin floor and and me trying to tuck my left foot under my right to hide offending nude yellowing nail. It could have been worse though. Last year there was a woman with unfortunate blue tattooed eyebrows on our flight home, I do hope she got them sorted out as she looked very odd. The flight was fortunately on time and for the first time ever we flew into Leeds Bradford's little airport. It reminded me a bit of Blackpool airport,  only small and we seemed to wait an age for our luggage. It was a lovely journey home over the Peninnes and certainly beat the M60 ring road for views. The many shades of the green winding windy moors of Keighley, Skipton, Burnley and finally our home on Deerplay moor looked almost luminous in comparison to the colours of the Turkish landscape we had left behind only a few hours before.

And so ends our FUN IN THE SUN for 2015 and my Golden Birthday Tour is all but wrapped up. Just a few thoughts and reflections about our holiday though.

Exchange rate - we got as high as 4.60 to the pound but dropped to around 4.41 on our last exchange.

What happened to our early morning walks and swims Jayne  ??? I'm ashamed that I didn't manage any  ::)

Awesome sight on Sunday as Kalkan celebrated Victory day, to see the huge Turkish flag flying as high as a double story building in town.

Pack Clearasil if you are peri-menopausal - update, the spots are finally clearing up thank goodness!  :)

To all you gents  - Don't visit a barber who appears to have the morning after shakes as Automan found to his horror, as the cut throat wobbled precariously in front of him. It saves you having to bypass the shop that you did a runner from, promising that you'd be back in five, but never returning.  ::)

Don't book a boat trip without checking if it's any other passengers real birthday on there as it certainly overshadows you own fake one, when their cake is presented and everyone sings happy birthday to them not you and you have to refrain from blowing their candles out and exclaiming "it should have been me"!!!!

And finally, why on earth did we think that there was a double bed during the daytime next to Yakamoz's bar for days, when really it was quite obvious that it was the cover for the stalls that were set out every night on the fire ravaged area of the harbour  ::)

See you next year. Over and out  ;D O0 8) :)

Post by: keith on September 02, 2015, 10:37:25 PM
Lizzie it has been a real pleasure reading your posts. Huge thanks for sharing your holiday with us other forum members and visitors. I'm sure that any newby will definitely be wanting to visit Kalkan based on your positive feedback. Here's looking to your next 'Fun in the Sun' excursion to Kalkan and, who knows, we may get to meet.
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 03, 2015, 07:55:05 AM
Its been a real pleasure sharing your "Fun in the Sun" holiday this year, Lizilu. Loved reading your reports - making me laugh whilst at the same time pretty melancholic. Although we are still in Corfu, which is beautiful and we would definitely come back here, we are still missing Kalkan. Thanks for taking time to post - we've really appreciated it :)
Post by: Babs on September 03, 2015, 08:00:37 AM
Already looking forward to "fun in the sun 2016!"  :laugh:
Post by: MartynE on September 03, 2015, 08:16:22 AM
Fabulous reports Lizilu. Shame we weren't there at the same time.

We are there at the end of September and through October so I might be able to do a couple of reports - I failed dismally to keep it up last time - but even if I do, I'm sure they won't match up to yours in terms of the sheer joy and "kalkanlove" that you managed to cram into each and every episode.

Looking forward to your reports next year!
Post by: BarbH on September 03, 2015, 08:55:02 AM
Loved all the reports Lizzie, there  definitely is a budding novelist in our forum :laugh: You certainly have the knack to make them so interesting and funny. Well done.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 03, 2015, 03:21:02 PM
Lizzie you did us proud, what a fabulous finale, all I can say is roll on 2016!!!!  :D :D :D

Sx
Post by: joycie on September 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PM
Your reports were fabulous and kept me thinking of my beloved Kalkan and how much I missed not going this year. My flights and accommodation are booked for next year so I am now on countdown too. Hopefully a blog may be in the offing in September 2016 .
Post by: Skunk on September 03, 2015, 03:59:39 PM
Well done Lizzie - a triumph of a blog which will definitely put me to shame next week when we are there.  :D :D :D. It has really made us excited to get going and we are half packed already.
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 03, 2015, 05:03:57 PM
Wow! Thanks so much for your lovely comments guys and for taking the time to read my blog. It's honestly been an absolute pleasure and I  appreciate all your contributions and kind words. I've loved sharing our holiday with you and glad you've enjoyed it too.  :-* :-*

I forgot to mention that captain Jack sparrow disappeared from the yali just before we came home. I promise you all that his disappearance had nothing to do with Shirl and me!!!  ;D
Post by: Haybo on September 03, 2015, 07:52:49 PM
Are you sure....i bet when Shirl gets out there next year, poor Jack will be resident in her garden!
Post by: suzyq1 on September 03, 2015, 09:19:02 PM
Fantastic reports Lizzy. Have just caught up on your last days. Can't believe you are home and it's all over for another year.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful holiday with us. It certainly was "fun in the sun"  :) :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 04, 2015, 09:31:07 AM
Hey, you never know Haybo  ;) ;) ;)

Thanks Suzyq1 and roll on 2016 so we can do it all again.  :) 8) :-*
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 04, 2015, 04:22:27 PM
Ha ha Haybo! Lizzie, I wouldn't have been able to get Captain Jack in my handbag, he was far too big!!!

Sx
Post by: Skunk on September 04, 2015, 04:51:45 PM
But how about the tartan shopping bag???  :P :P :P
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 04, 2015, 05:13:06 PM
The tartan trolley is just for the Yali and Migros runs Caroline, and very useful it was too I can tell you!  :D :D :D
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 04, 2015, 07:19:56 PM
I have fond memories of bonding with that tartan trolley  ;)
Post by: Mrs M! on September 05, 2015, 09:28:03 PM
I've loved reading your posts - inspiration for my 'Golden Birthday Tour' in Kalkan this time next year! Thank you :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 06, 2015, 10:04:09 AM
Thanks Lou. I hope you enjoy your "golden birthday tour" too. Mine was amazing.  :-*
Post by: Mrs M! on September 06, 2015, 11:05:14 PM
:)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal