Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Everything Else & Classifieds => The Everything Else Area! => Topic started by: Clive on July 31, 2015, 09:03:43 AM

Title: English TV
Post by: Clive on July 31, 2015, 09:03:43 AM

Hi,

I live here and watch BBC and ITV via iplayer on my computer, I first connect to Expat Shield, for the last 2 days it says I am not in the UK so unable to view, would be grateful for any advice.

Thank you.

Clive.
Title: Re: English TV
Post by: Cosetta on August 02, 2015, 10:42:40 AM
For a nominal fee and no ads, you can subscribe to my-private-network.co.uk which is very stable and easy to connect to. 
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on August 02, 2015, 12:09:24 PM
UnoTelly is also an excellent service, also allows you to change Netflix regions :)
Post by: rookie on August 04, 2015, 09:09:08 AM
Just download Filmon then you have all English channels
Post by: Tyros on August 04, 2015, 02:16:29 PM
I agree Rookie, FilmOn works well for us in Kalkan. All the UK channels live and of course it is free, unless you want to watch in HD.

Cheers
Tyros
Post by: Lucy Lou on August 04, 2015, 04:31:03 PM
Hi Tyros,

I tried using a uk vpn to watch some English TV on my tablet in June but didn't work, TV channels recognised I was not in UK.

I looked at FILMON website here (England) today & saw the proviso that made me think you couldn't watch from outside UK.  You really don't have to use any other technology for it to be successful ?

If so might try that in October.

Lucy Lou   
Post by: Now retired on August 04, 2015, 04:49:33 PM
I was in Kalkan in May and watched FA Cup final live using Film On through good wifi connection.
There was no buffering and I only received one advertisement during the whole game.
Just a simple connection to TVs using HDMI lead.
Post by: Tyros on August 04, 2015, 05:01:20 PM
Hi Lucy Lou, no other technology required and as I said FilmOn works in Kalkan over local Internet connection with no problems. We use the free version of FilmOn. For radio we use Tunein which is also free.

Cheers
Tyros
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 13, 2016, 03:16:04 PM
Noticed this old post & thought I'd add a suggestion. There is a method of watching live telly & films which isn't illegal called streaming. What you need is a media box with an application called Kodi on it, this allows you to connect via the Internet to streams. I use an Amazon Firetv stick which connects via an HDMI cable, £34 from Amazon or Argos, add the application & then configure it. I took it last week to see if it worked and it was fine.
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 13, 2016, 04:06:30 PM
So the Firestick works in Turkey?
We already have one and BH watches everything he wants in the Garden Room (Man Creche) at home. is it just a question of taking it with us and connecting to a TV or laptop?
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 13, 2016, 04:26:23 PM
To TV then connect to Internet as you would at home, I just thought I'd try it  & it was fine
Post by: Mike on January 07, 2017, 08:45:45 PM
Hi

Before i get out to Kalkan i wanted to ask about internet streaming UK TV and movies.

Instead of using apps on ipads/laptops or phones - I wanted to use a TV in the new villa simply because it has a bigger screen size especially to view movies. So i got an Amazon firestick to take over to Kalkan to try internet TV. My first question is if Netflix  actually works in Kalkan or is it blocked? If it does stream ok is it a regional version offering only Turkish TV/movies ?       

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread I did go a stage further and loaded Kodi on to the Amazon firestick which allowed me to add Filmon (for UK TV) AND also a movie addon - "Exodus" i think its called. It all works fine here on my UK TV but its another thing to try in Kalkan. Sounds all a bit techy i know but its actually fairly easy even for a novice like me. So if it all works on the TV in Kalkan i will be well chuffed. Just wondered if anyone tried this ?

I know there are other approaches (VPN etc) but i wanted to try these first.

Post by: onelove on January 08, 2017, 05:02:37 AM
I don't understand all that tech stuff to be honest. Over the years we have tried loads of diff ways to get uk tv in Kalkan without to much joy. We now have IPTV and it's great.

You have to pay to have it installed then pay a yearly fee. We get more channels than we do in the uk. Your more than welcome to come to our villa to see it working if you want ?
Post by: chrissy1 on January 08, 2017, 06:03:10 AM
Hi onelove. Where do you get IPTV from and how much is the yearly subscription please. Also can you get sports channels through that too like sky sports and by sports if you don't mind me asking
Post by: Mayday1 on January 08, 2017, 09:17:13 AM
Hi Mike......we have the firestick with Kodi on and tried it at our apartment without success......I think that it may be possible to get it working there but I think you must have to do something more to achieve this.......maybe a further download etc....

Our computer chap we know said that if you change the time zone to bring it in line with turkey then it would work......but we could not get this to work either.......You tube will work for videos but everything else wont.......BBC I player for example wont work...as the tv license ( which pays for the bbc ) covers UK use only......so the challenge continues in April to try to get to the bottom of it

For the moment,Oneloves package is looking the best option for full usage
Post by: onelove on January 08, 2017, 11:22:54 AM
Hi onelove. Where do you get IPTV from and how much is the yearly subscription please. Also can you get sports channels through that too like sky sports and by sports if you don't mind me asking

We get it through Recep (Opp the taxi rank)

It has all the sports channels, full Sky Sports & BT Sports + loads of foreign sports channels that show live 3pm kick offs. Also get lots of free movie channels, many more than we get in the uk via our Virgin package. History, Discovery, National Geo, BBC, ITV, channel 4/5 etc etc etc. We even get MUTV, Chelsea TV, Rangers TV, to many to list to be honest.

Regarding how much, I will confirm later as we are due to pay this years subscription this week.

Hope this helps 👍
Post by: chrissy1 on January 08, 2017, 11:54:25 AM
Oh thank you onelove we get our internet through Recep and he has mentioned a box with subscription to us before so it's good to know it works well from him. No bother letting me know the cost as I think it will be the one he quoted us I think you pay more for the 1 st year as this includes the box and then it's cheaper the following years. Very helpful thank you. Chrissy
Post by: chrissy1 on January 08, 2017, 12:41:58 PM
Sorry onelove one more question is there any catch up tv on the IPTV THANKS
Post by: onelove on January 08, 2017, 01:03:29 PM
Sorry onelove one more question is there any catch up tv on the IPTV THANKS

I've never tried, but don't think so
Post by: onelove on January 08, 2017, 01:07:02 PM
A cheaper option is 'Apple TV'. If you have Sky/Virgin in the uk you can get everything on your iPhone then with Apple TV you can 'air drop' it onto your tv here in Kalkan
Post by: Mike on January 08, 2017, 05:05:49 PM
Certainly a few options there to research. 

Thanks to all for your tips and experiences! 
Post by: Chris_S on January 09, 2017, 10:21:37 AM
Oh, but if you are one of the 86% of smartphone users who don't use an iPhone, then you're a bit stuffed if you try to use AppleTV, aren't you? >:D >:D :angel:

Whatever happened to the wet string and milk bottle tops?
Post by: Mike on January 09, 2017, 11:21:44 AM
Yea  Chris, i was aware of that.

The best thing is to keep things as simple as possible to use - especially for rental guests! As i say i will try the Amazon Firestick (preloaded with Kodi) first before i consider signing up to more services. 

I have a Netflix account in UK and i think you can use in Turkey under the same subscription ( 2 devices can stream at same time on my plan) - but i need to try it for myself when i get out there. 
Post by: onelove on January 09, 2017, 11:55:36 AM
Oh, but if you are one of the 86% of smartphone users who don't use an iPhone, then you're a bit stuffed if you try to use AppleTV, aren't you? >:D >:D :angel:

Whatever happened to the wet string and milk bottle tops?

Amazing stat, I really shocked 😳
Post by: kalkan4eva on January 09, 2017, 02:35:20 PM
Mike, your UK subscription for Netflix doesn't work in Turkey....sorry :( We try every year without success - although it has worked abroad for us in other areas, we've never managed to get it working when we are in Kalkan. We have watched films via YouTube but their quality isn't always the best, depending on who uploaded them.
We took the Firestick last year - which was loaded with Kodi - but the TV didn't have the correct port to connect it - it wasn't the most up to date model, to be fair ::)
Let us know if you get it working - Pompeyalbie seemed to manage it ok.
Post by: Blue Lizard on January 09, 2017, 08:04:27 PM
 K4E....If its an older TV I assume it had scart connectors..would a Firestick work with an HDMI to scart adaptor? (About £10 on e bay)I have Kodi on my Firestick (sounds painful! :o ) but it is a bit hit and miss in the UK so I don't know if mine would work in Turkey...thinks I may have to erase it and load it again :-*
Post by: Mike on January 10, 2017, 09:55:23 PM
Will do K4E!  Yep you need an HDMI socket on the TV.  Shame about Netflix - I read in some other forum (Dalyan I think) that they managed to view Netflix using their UK sign on - perhaps there is a location setting to change on your Netflix profile - don't honestly know but not a major issue.

I must say I am impressed with a trial run of Kodi for free access of up-to-date movies - most are reasonable HD quality but you need to install one of the video addons which took a few minutes - it certainly opened up a new world of movies.

Hopefully one of the above options  will yield something .. and sort some wintery nights in Kalkan.
Post by: Cosetta on January 11, 2017, 07:51:20 AM
We have IPTV, it works very well and has loads of channels.  I also have Kodi loaded on my PC, no need for the box unless you want to keep the box connected permanently to your TV. 

If you have a newish Android smart phone with Smart Mirror, you can also cast the film to your TV if the TV also has the ability to mirror.  I think the new Samsung TVs all have this.  This works very well too.

Kodi does not have catch-up.  Re Kodi and Exodus, you can download many of the movies onto your computer or a USB drive (flash drive), then stick that into a TV with a USB connection.

But Netflix UK does not work in Turkey.  Your TV model has to be bought in the UK and you would need to be using a VPN to make it appear that you are in the UK.

For iPlayer, you need your UK TV licence number and a VPN.  We use both IPVanish (very quick and stable) and HMA which has the most servers of any VPN.  You can also use Smart DNS which gives you access to Netflix, Amazon movies, Hulu and other streaming programs in the UK and the US.  I used to use this to watch iPlayer but recently they ask for a TV licence number to verify that you are an authorised user.

Post by: chickengeorge on January 11, 2017, 08:24:54 AM
You can also just Google putlocker.ch and all movies and TV series are on there. Also, I have just used iPlayer and wasn't asked for any TV licence number.
Post by: Chris_S on January 11, 2017, 12:19:14 PM
OneLove

True stat, I'm afraid.

It's about the same for both the iPhone and the iPad, principally because of marketing and the media which believes its the only thing that works (watch the news, dramas, etc-  they all use Apple on-screen - it's called product placement). [I had a colleague who told me he only used an iPad because Photoshop ran on it - he couldn't believe my Windows machine did as well!]

What skews the figures are the 86% of non-IoS users are spread over numerous vendors, Samsung, LG, HTC etc., etc., which reduces the headline market share of individual manufacturers and are thus ignored by the media as inconvenient.  They only get mentioned when they have battery issues (unforgivable, but as an engineer, it's going to happen at some point in time, as Boeing demonstrated on the 787), whereas Apple's woes rarely get mentioned, like losing multi-billion dollar patent cases.

Apple monopolise their entire product line which prevents this dilution, and disguises the unpalatable truth, whereas the Android market is 'free' and used by the vast majority who merely pay the relatively low licence fee to Android (or Google, who own it).  (And before anyone says the Android store is full of rogue software, this is not the case - all new apps are vetted by Android - even free ones).

The remainder of the usage is taken by Windows phones (but not PCs - still the biggest share by some enormous margin), and finally by Blackberry, both of which appear to be declining in popularity; plus some even less-used systems (often Governmental run secure systems).

At the end of the day, what works for you is fine - enjoy!  But it's not a good idea to assume that everyone else uses the same equipment (as this link demonstrates with the multitude of solutions).
Post by: Cosetta on January 11, 2017, 12:48:34 PM
I just now got some programs on iPlayer via Kodi.  But if I use a VPN to logon with a UK ip address, then go directly to iPlayer, it always asks me for a TV licence.  Even the Kodi addon says the viewer should have a licence, but plays the selected program anyway.

Note: putlocker.ch seems to be dead and gone.  No top page.  Reported that it stopped working on Oct 23.
Post by: chickengeorge on January 11, 2017, 01:16:55 PM
I use a different VPN on my tablet and Chromebook and both allow my to use iPlayer at the moment. It should have been putlockers.ch.  I have been using over last 6 months no problem.
Post by: alantj on January 11, 2017, 02:56:02 PM
The latest release of the Opera browser comes with a built in (free) VPN, that seems to work a lot better and is probably more secure than the free options out there.

I haven't tried it in Turkey yet but will do in April.
Post by: kalkan4eva on January 11, 2017, 05:57:42 PM
phutlockers.ch does close down periodically then starts up again, we've found. We do use that at home now and again, working for us at the moment.
BL that TV was from the Ark...! It had a built in DVD player so no scart and the back of the TV was 10 times the size of the screen! A first generation digital tv and no mistake! We are in different accomodation next year and it appears to have a flat screen tv, so fingers crossed there's a port for connection. Its only for the nights we stay in, I'm not interested in catch-up TV, I can catch up when I'm home.
Post by: Chris_S on January 12, 2017, 10:38:44 AM
If you use Kaspersky - it has numerous VPNs - the nearest is free, more costs you - probably a secure bet with a company that size!
Post by: Pompeyalbie on January 15, 2017, 08:19:32 PM
Hello again, long time no post. Re Kodi & catch up TV, on my Firestick I put what is known as a build, this is a suite of addons built by clever people which contains addons for everything, live TV ( both UK & worldwide), sport, tv shows, movies, music, you name it & it's out there to stream. Google Areswizard to find out how to install it on Kodi, I use Duggzbuild for my streaming. No need to pay for Netflix.
Post by: Mayday1 on January 16, 2017, 08:30:09 AM
Our kodi has the same package of add ons....bt sport sky sport classic tv.100's of films and lots more......however,even streaming a football match here,in the uk,with fibre optic broadband continually freezes ( all other stuff works....just not sport......so I'm sure it wouldn't work in kalkan where the internet speeds are generally lower.

I have tried the firestick/kodi on our tv (a technica flatscreen from Tesco and taken over to kalkan) and it doesn't work......with the exception of you tube videos,that do work.

I have been told that by changing the time zone settings to turkey,it may work....that is not really possible either (  as there isn't a time zone setting;on kodi, that specifically matches turkey ).......and lastly,i think you require a VPN to block/mask the ip address of your computer so it doesn't know where you are in the world.........I haven't tried this yet and don't really know how to attempt it.......but I will try to find out before our april kalkan visit
Post by: Cosetta on January 18, 2017, 07:59:50 AM
Yes, you need a VPN.  I use Kodi and various add-ons directly on my laptop, no Firestick.  Some movies and BBC documentaries are streamed in poor quality, others great.  Seems to depend on the source of the stream.
Post by: Mike on January 18, 2017, 10:59:32 PM
Hi Pompeyalbie,

you seem to have found the holy grail ! Is that without VPN and just Kodi with a build & straight Internet on your TV firestick or am I missing something here?

Post by: Pompeyalbie on January 26, 2017, 11:08:42 PM
Yes, used it in Kisla last May & in Corfu in October, a friend took one to France & just plugged & played, no VPN or anything.
Post by: Blue Lizard on January 27, 2017, 12:17:27 AM
Don't you have to change to the country you are in in settings?  The firestick is so small I will take mine on the on off chance it works.I'm sure more people will report on results before we go.......(just paid a bloke on E Bay £8 to install everything kodi, mobdro etc brilliant job!)
Post by: hobbo on January 27, 2017, 12:30:19 AM
Firstly may I state I do not yet have a firestick.. but I am looking at it as an option.. seems to me that the firestick is just the hardware and it's the software build that is just as (if not more) important, some have a built in VPN some don't etc.. reports are that they need to be regularly updated, perhaps a great solution for holidaymakers, who have their own firestick and maintain it themselves, but not for owners who rent out.
Post by: Blue Lizard on January 27, 2017, 12:39:37 AM
included in my install from E Bay is automatic updates...Haven't had this build long enough yet to say if it works...but methinks if owners left a Firestick in a property it would go "walkies" ;)
Post by: Mayday1 on January 27, 2017, 09:16:42 AM
100 % correct BL.....the firestick would go walkies...perfect size to fit into hand luggage........but as yet,i have not managed to get it to work in turkey........with the exception of You tube,which does work......I was watching a lot of videos on plane crash near misses........proibably not ideal with the home flight to look forward to
Post by: Pompeyalbie on January 31, 2017, 11:07:22 PM
Oh BL fancy paying some shyster to load it on for you, takes about 30 minutes to do and load a decent build (which are free), I'd have done it for free. If an old duffer like me can do it anybody can. Kodi & builds are free so don't believe anyone who tells you any different.
Post by: Blue Lizard on February 01, 2017, 12:24:49 AM
mmmmm! I am fully aware it is free stuff I loaded Kodi and Modbro myself but was getting a lot of buffering..sent it to an "expert" who loaded it and tons more I now have real quality playback on Sky .BT etc plus I now have about 50 different sources of films from all over the world and more stuff than I could shake a (fire) stick at...I can even use my remote as a mouse now....for £8? the bloke was a find! especially as it included postage to Scotland and back!! ;)
Post by: csivegas-rob on February 01, 2017, 11:21:41 PM
Hi all.

We also took our Kodi Amazon firestick out to Kalkan  with us in January, we were unsure if it would work In Turkey but it worked just as well as it does in the U.K. 
Had point to point internet set up by Recep in town (within 2hours of asking to be be set up) and we were  watching  in HD 5 minutes later.
We receive  about 6mbp and haven't experienced any buffering or slow down.

A friend of mine gave me a tip to turn off collect app usage data as this feeds back to amazon who can periodically update, which causes the firestick to block, slowdown or wipe the Kodi software off and you have reload from scratch.

To turn this off; from the main Amazon menu (the one that appears when you first turn the stick on), go down to Settings, right to Applications, click on Applications and turn off Collect App Usage Data.

Hope this helps🤓
Post by: kalkan4eva on February 02, 2017, 07:14:38 PM
BL, would you DM the contact details for your eBay guy? We get a lot of buffering with ours - thought it was the poor broadband we have in our area but happy to pay a guy £8 to prove me wrong  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 04, 2017, 12:28:24 PM
Kodi users should read this
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/799844/Kodi-Box-digital-economy-act-prison-streaming-torrents

Think it might only apply to EU countries at the moment
Post by: Mike on May 04, 2017, 03:57:05 PM
Not surprised K4E.  Its exponential rise in popularity has sadly lead to its demise.  Subscription for Filmon etc .. whats next?

Anyone for chess before they close that down?!!  ;D 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal