Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Bob & Jayne on July 30, 2015, 07:06:56 AM

Title: Sun, Sea and Shirl!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 30, 2015, 07:06:56 AM
Good Morning Folks

Well the day has finally arrived, and we are off to Kalkan! We've been waiting for this day for way too long, and can't believe it's finally here!

We aren't flying until this evening, OH has just one more morning at work, and then a leisurely drive up to Heathrow.  Bags are all packed and just the obligatory frozen bacon and sausages to go in! Not many clothes packed this year, as we have left plenty of things out there, but this year, a new kettle, toaster, and a "10 man" george foreman is in our case, no contraption for us this year, we have 2 sporty new IT cases from Tesco Direct!!

We are looking forward to meeting up with lots of our friends and having fun in the sun! Will promise to do a post or 2, and will keep you up to date with our adventures. As usual, a relaxing holiday ahead, but lots of things planned.  First boat trip on Sunday to Kekova, can't wait!  8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D

Sx 
Title: Re: Sun, Sea and Shirl!
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 30, 2015, 08:02:39 AM
So excited for you Bob, Jayne and Shirl! Yay, Shirl' s back out for the summer!
Two weeks today and we will be joining you for fun in the sun   ;D meanwhile can't wait to read about your exploits and have a safe journey guys.   :-*
Post by: Babs on July 30, 2015, 08:04:37 AM
Have a brilliant time Shirl, and Bob!
A post or two? Come on now, play the game!  :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: Blue Lizard on July 30, 2015, 09:05:51 AM
Ye gods!!! Pork sacrilege   Don't Freeze your Bacon And sausages before you go  freeze them when you get Kalkan they will last longer  ;)  Have a good un'!!
Ta Ta
Lizard (pork smuggler :laugh:)
Post by: RosiB on July 30, 2015, 09:28:05 AM
Yay! You're on your way!
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 30, 2015, 11:55:06 AM
Soooohhh looking forward to reading all about your stay.
More pork smugglers than you can shake a stick at on this forum...good job this isn't TA or we'd be castigated to hell >:D
Jayne I hope your IT case fare better than ours - we bought the world's lightest ones and they didn't travel well. When we picked them up off the carousel at Dalaman mine was behaving like a wayward shopping trolley and any attempt I made to glide it on four wheels was met with stubborn resistance. It has since been promptly dispatched back from whence it came (Argos). BH's case is just a mass of oil stains...well he did opt for pastel pink, what can I say?
I would swap places with you in a heart beat...although I do realise the offer was not there on your part... :-\ :-*
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 30, 2015, 01:08:46 PM
K4E, I have to say, I too am not sure that the cases are as robust as we thought when we bought them.  Although they look very nice in light burgundy with fancy handles and wheels, the material doesn't seem very durable! but fingers crossed our mound of things in them will arrive in one piece! Just realised I didn't pack make up wipes, so off to Asda I've been, came back with wipes and 2 maxi dresses! just had to be done! so happy!!  :: :D :D

Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on July 30, 2015, 01:09:42 PM
Safe journey and look forward to reading all about you stay in paradise.
Jo
Post by: Haybo on July 30, 2015, 01:25:51 PM
Yes,yes,yes!!!!  If shirl is on her way, then we can'tbe far behind!

Cases packed this end.  Just the last bits and pieces to do.  Still thinking of a heading for my reports this year....
Post by: BarbH on July 30, 2015, 01:58:43 PM
We  are still using the Samsonite cases we bought when we went to America in 1989, old fashioned  by  to days standard  but hey ho still robest and they do what we want them to do. We decided on that particular make when a lot of soft cases on the carousel was coming round ripped open and items missing.

Have a good flight B & J and enjoy your holiday.
Post by: suzyq1 on July 30, 2015, 08:40:11 PM
Have a wonderful time you two. Can't wait to hear all about it. Oh how I wish I was going back. Really got the holiday blues this year  >:(

Post by: keith on July 30, 2015, 08:41:37 PM
Have a great holiday Bob & Jane. We will be getting our cases out of the loft at the weekend and I'm hoping that they'll still be serviceable. We normally just try to add some coloured ribbon to make them easier to identify on the carousel!! I'm convinced that everyone else uses the same tactic as our bags always seem to be the last ones off!!
Post by: Mrs M! on July 30, 2015, 10:03:17 PM
Flying from Heathrow? Gosh, what a luxury - was it the Exclusive Escapes chartered flight? We're looking at doing that next year, if I'd love details! Enjoy your break and look forward to reading your reports :)
Post by: Tyros on July 31, 2015, 12:52:56 AM
I know you will have a great holiday Jayne and Bob, just let us know what you get up to!! We are not back until 10th September so look forward to meeting up with you again at another time.
Best wishes
Sandra & Graham (Tyros)
Post by: clara 50 on July 31, 2015, 05:08:07 AM
Have a fantastic time and a cold glass of white or four for us as for eight years it'll be the first time not being able to visit our favourite escape due to family illness. Shame really as it's our 25th wedding anniversary on the 11th but hey ho there's always next year God willing, think we'll have deserved it by then. Relax, live laugh and be happy, make some more great memories. Don't do anything we wouldn't do, so in other words GO FOR IT and enjoy your porky products. SERAFE  ;)
Post by: Chris_S on July 31, 2015, 10:24:29 AM
Leisurely Drive up to Heathrow?

An oxymoron, surely?
Post by: MartynE on July 31, 2015, 03:30:38 PM
IT cases? Don't get me started...
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 31, 2015, 04:37:37 PM
Maybe "IT cases - don't get me started" needs its own thread...?
Post by: Babs on July 31, 2015, 06:07:34 PM
Maybe IT cases do need they're own thread! When I read Shirl's post I thought they were taking lots of laptops, iPads etc. So that Shirl can keep us up to date with her shenanigans!  :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 31, 2015, 06:58:13 PM
Well we've relied on "the worlds lightest cases"
For a few years now. Gradually replacing all cases. When we bought the first couple a few years ago, they were fab. Durable and well made. We finally replaced the other two last year ( from Argos)  and to be honest they are rubbish. The handle on one is now bent and the wheels are not synchronised. There is also a tear in one (of the new ones). Moral of the story; the worlds lightest cases were wonderful when they first came out and are still going strong ( from TJ's) but the Argos version are rubbish!  >:(
Post by: Chris_S on August 01, 2015, 12:23:06 PM
Speaking as a Design Engineer, 'Lightest cases' are easy.

The question is (to the manufacturer), do you want lightest with quality (price varies), lightest and cheapest, or lightest with maximum profit?

Trouble is, the consumer is subjected to the marketing headlines appropriately... >:D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 01, 2015, 05:49:22 PM
Well we are back, safely arrived in our little bit of Paradise.  A long journey via Istanbul and 2 flights, but we finally arrived around 9am yesterday morning.  It wasn't Secret Escapes, we flew with Turkish Airlines booked independently, they were brilliant, but wouldn't do it again, only due to the time it took, even though it was cheaper. We arrived at Istanbul around 4am, and had to change planes flying from the Domestic departure lounge, taking an hour to Dalaman.  We didn't have to worry about our IT cases! still frantically worrying about my sausages and bacon as they said at Heathrow we would see them again at Dalaman, and sure enough on the transfer bus, there they were on the very top of the luggage trolley hurtling its way to the terminal.  When we got there, Carousel number One we were told, I patiently waited, while Bob went into the Duty Free to get our 2 x litre bottles of Vodka, as Turkish Airlines don't sell Duty Free, weird, but the food and alcohol on both flights was free.  Bags came and went, as did all of the people waiting too, Bob returned with our bottles, and there I was (Billy No Mates) with no baggage! Starting to panic slightly, had our sausages been seized!! Lovely Turkish authority appeared, I thought oh dear this is it! asked what flight we had arrived on, then duly pointed to Carousel number Three, and there all on there own were our 2 IT cases going round and round alone!So happy to see them, but on closer inspection, one had grease on them K4E! and the other one the wheel was slightly crooked! Tesco Direct for us on our return home!! Rubbish, the only thing I will say is that I had expected them to tear, but so far they haven't!

The good news though, the bacon and sausages were still frozen solid, I couldn't believe it, 18 hours out of the freezer!

Transfer car all ready waiting for us, and an hour and a half later we were here! The day unfolded but was a bit of a blurr! we were so tired having had hardly any sleep. We wandered down to the harbour and had coffee in Lipsos, it was lovely seeing old familiar faces, people just don't forget you do they.  Bob's had his first haircut and shave of the holiday, so was very happy, and we then popped in to see Julie and Paul at the Emir who had arrived from Fethiye the previous evening.  They made us very welcome and was lovely to see them. Back to our apartment for an afternoon swim and a nap.  not sure the hour's nap did any good, we felt even more tired, so decided a trip to Hunkars, pick up a few bits for breakfast over the weekend, and we were in bed by 9pm!

Saturday - 3am, heard a noise a light was on, OMG we have been burgled I thought! lent over to wake Bob, he wasn't there! sure enough he was in the lounge thank goodness watching his new IPTV box that he had brouht over to instal! Back to bed and slept until 7am, but felt so refreshed.  My promise to myself this holiday is to try and do a little walk before breakfast and an early morning swim in sea (Lizilu hurry up out), not going in that sea on my own until your here! I went out and walked all the way down to Asyifa hotel, the guy came running out, and gave me a guided tour, it is beautiful, and it's now on our list to go and have a meal there, and a swim in the pool, I walked along the track up by the Mediterrantan Apartments, past the Bakery, after popping in for a hot loaf, and back home in just over an hour! felt marvelous, but not sure I will be doing it every day!

Boiled eggs on the balcony and freshly brewed coffee and we were set up for the day.  Our promise to ourselves this holiday is only 2 meals a day, rather than the normal 3!

Over breakfast, we had  a message from Haybo, they have arrived safely,and we are looking forward to catching up with them tomorrow, as didn't manage to see them today due to our 5 hours on the beach! 

Electric went off around 11am, but only for half an hour or so.   We had decided on the beach, well now there's a surprise! We had a lovely day, arrived at midday (mad English people in the midday sun)! got our sunbeds, iced water, and we were set for a couple of hours! lovely Turkish guy and his friend from the carpet shop were sitting by us, so friendly, even asked us to look after his wallet and new Samsung mobile phone why he went in the sea! would never happen in the UK! Our 2 hours turned into 5! before we knew it, it was 5pm. Up through town we meandered, stopping off in Bade Bar, really nice, spent half an hour people watching and savouring over our lovely day and back to the apartment for a shower.  Moonlight Terrace Restaurant tonight for dinner, not sure my 2 meals a day is going to last for a month, as we are starving as only had breakfast so far!

Off to Kekova tomorrow so will keep you uptodate on our day, we are really looking forward to going, we love it there.

Tyros - Bob and I are so sorry we won't be seeing you and Sandra this time, but hopefully next time our dates will coincide.  :D

Sx
Post by: suzyq1 on August 01, 2015, 10:14:34 PM
Glad you and your "pork products" arrived safely! You must have been shattered after that long journey.
I love Kekova. Hope you have a great day tomorrow. Look forward to hearing all about it.
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 01, 2015, 11:57:05 PM
Aw glad you made it in one piece and with Bacon and sausages intact. At least the cases kept the contraband safe. 
We will be joining you before long and can't wait for that early morning dip. Enjoy kekova tomorrow and look forward to reading all about it.  :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 07, 2015, 05:52:59 AM
Sorry for the delay in my post, but it has been a tad busy this week! Now where did I get to!

Sunday - Kekova trip, what an amazing day, we have done this trip quite a few times, and we still never get bored with it.  Julie and Paul (Kalken Gems) came with us, I was thinking hope they will enjoy it, and theycertainly did. We were collected by Define Tours and driven to Kekova through the mountains, lovely drive there. We boarded the boat, and we were off. Swimming with turtles was the highlight of the day, they are such amazing creatures.  A lovely lunch , visit to Simena, didn't quite make the castle again! but the cafe and icecream stop as usual was the order of the day.  Arrived back at 6.30pm and a quick shower and dinner at Smyrna as we were all meeting up with Haybo, would definitely recommend this restaurant, run by Rami. I had chicken stuffed with mozerella and rocquefort with spinach, it was delicious, Bob had Shrimp Guvec, which too was yummy, amongst other things ordered were lamb claypot, fish, all of which was superb.  A lovely evening, and was nice to sea Haybo and family again.

Monday - A rest day today, up to Archelik to buy a new hoover, purchased one in no time at all, at quite a reasonable price, they said they would deliver at 6pm.  Came out of the shop crossed the road to the shop below, Bob said lets go in, he has a thing about kitchen gadgets! walked round and the first thing we saw were hoovers! and one that was higher wattage than what we had just bought and better value.  Back to Archelik and asked if we could cancel our order, yes of course you can! so nice.  Hoover now bought and paid for and this one being delivered at 5pm!

We came out of the shop and someonewas calling out at us, it was Alper in his jeep, asking us if we wanted a lift, I was gutted, as we had to say no, because we were off to the bus station to purchase our tickets for the Bati Antalya bus to Fethiye the next day, I've always wanted to hire one of those things, and hopefully we will one day! Bus tickets bought, a quick stop at Migros for a few bits for dinner, and a stop for brunch in Suleman's Cafe opposite the market.  He was so pleased to see us, we ordered 2 chicken sandwiches, and 2 fresh orange juices. He said just got to pop to the shop to get some butter! won't be long! His daughter made the orange juice and in no time at all he was back, and our sandwiches arrived, and they were so good!

Back home and an afternoon around the pool, it was so hot today.  Spicy chicken, salad and saute potato and onions was on our menu for dinner, as we had a friend coming over for dinner, all to be cooked in our multi cooker (another gadget)! yes, 10 minutes before he arrived, the electric went off! Dinner was now going to be cooked on the gas hob! thank goodness we have it! Lovely evening though, despite darkness for quite a while. 

Tuesday - Up early, as 7.40am bus for our 3 day trip to Fethiye.  The Bati Antalya Bus left on time, had a seat so all was good.  Got to the D400 and no didn't go left, but straight across, were we on the right bus we though! It was via Akbel and Yesilkoy picking people up on the way, and then trundled off to Fethiye, a  very good service 13Tl each way per person. Arrived at the Otogar, a Dolmus to the Harbour, and the little ferry boat over the Calis where we had booked a little hotel at the far end for 2 nights. The hotel was lovely, small and friendly, and lovely people.  They let us check in early, it wasn't even midday yet, bags in room, and straight in the pool we went, set in a lovely garden, with lots of banana trees.  In the afternoon we went to the beach, we found a lovely restaurant called Guven Restaurant, we had a late lunch, whiting in a light efes batter for Bob and sea bass for me, large Tubourg gold and a bottle of water 42TL! the food was excellent and such good value! lunch eaten, and the sea beckoned. the restaurant have their own sun beds, no charge they said.  An afternoon of swimming and napping followed! We had a stroll out in the evening, watching the sun go down, still full from our late lunch, so had a spicy pide and salad to share.

Wednesday - Lovely Turkish breakfast sat in the garden by the pool of the hotel, and off to find Kuleli Beach, which is the other side of Letoonia Hotel, Bob had read up about it on Turkeys for Life blog! A dolmus from out side the hotel to Fethiye 2TL each, and then another one from the Otogar took us there, a few hairpin bends to contend with, but eyes shut for the duration, and was it worth it.  Wow, suddenly out of no where was this beautiful beach.  Two sunbeds and 2 umbrellas later and we were set up for the day.  We were the other side of Fethiye bay facing towards the islands, you could have been anywhere.  Fantastic day we had, lunch was brought to us on our sunbeds, and beers and water, we couldn't have had a better day.  5pm and we were done! the bus was waiting, back round the hair pin bends and then another dolmus back to our little hotel.  A sleep was in order before deciding on where to eat for dinner. We had planned on Mancero Kitchen, but we were tired so decided to go back to our little gem of a restaurant we had found the previous day.  We ordered halloumi cheese in chilli, lamb filled filo pastry parcel topped with yoghurt, and garlic prawns and the complimentary puffy bread with dips. All of which were delicious, it was actually only 3 starters, and we couldn't manage anything else! 2 glasses of wine and 2 x beers and total bill was only about 80TL!

Thursday - Off on the 12 Island Boat trip! we had breakfast, packed our things, said goodbye to the lovely people that run the hotel, and off we went on another Dolmus to the harbour! The boat was called Erghun 4, a big boat, but none the less very good.  Left on time at 10.30am, it was very hot today, so plenty of suncream was applied and off we sailed, the views were spectacular, we had 5 swimming stops in total, lunch was chicken or fish with salad and spaghetti, we opted for the chicken, which was good but in fact wished we had chosen the fish, as was trout and looked lovely.  We arrived back at 6.20pm, what a fab day, and all for 35TL each! how cheap is that for 8 hours including lunch on a boat trip.  What followed next was one of the highlights of our 3 day road trip! The Fish Market! we had limited time as our bus was going at 9pm! off we went, stopping off at Deep Blue Bar for a quick refreshment, and it was very quick indeed, and then to choose our dinner.  We opted for a kilo of king prawns 50TL, not sure why, but then we ordered a small sea bream and a small sea bass, 8 and 13TL, all to share.  It was manic but suddenly we were sat in the restaurant and our fish was served all within 20 minutes.  The prawns were incredible, cooked in chillie, butter and garlic, served with hot toasted bread.  Then the 2 fish arrived, which again were so so fresh, all served with salad, and the compulsory chips! maybe we shouldn't have had the chips! It was an experience not to forget, and we will return! Time was getting on, they ordered us a taxi and off we sped to the Otogar. 

The bus home didn't stop until we got to Yesilkoy, and we were back in Kalkan in 1 hour and 20 minutes.  A quick walk down from the bus garage and a slow walk up the hill to the apartment and we were home!

Moral of our trip - Fabulous and worth doing a mini holiday within your holiday!

I am sorry if my blog is long, but I had lots to write about!

Sx

Post by: suzyq1 on August 07, 2015, 08:54:32 AM
Well I must admit I was wondering where you were, but it was certainly worth the wait. :)
What an amazing few days you have had. It has made me and probably quite a few others think about going a bit further a field, especially as you seemed to have travelled so cheaply. Will go and google that beach you mentioned.
I would imagine you will be having a few rest days before the rest of the gang join you in Kalkan!
Will look forward to the next post. Enjoy  :) :) 
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 07, 2015, 09:08:39 AM
We keep meaning to have another mooch around Fethiye area..but the heat and the lure of the pool make us say "tomorrow" until it's time to go home!! fair play to you for finding the oomphh to do it!.....You should have said you needed a hoover I have a spare one that is only gathering dust!! ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 07, 2015, 10:33:15 AM
Oh Jayne, I really really enjoyed reading that post - especially the Fethiye trip as we are keen to have an overnight stay next year. It just sounded like a perfect few days, loved the sound of Kuleli. We do enjoy the Fish Market - quite an experience, but we've only ever gone for lunch - didn't realise it was open of an evening too - bet it was much more comfortable than the strong heat of the day.
As usual, you are packing so much into your stay - I don't know how you do it - I'm exhausted reading it!
Really looking forward to hearing all about your next adventure :)
Post by: antler on August 07, 2015, 11:05:24 AM
Wow!  What a great trip, that souyds really interesting (and YES, it was worth the wait haha!)

Thank you!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 07, 2015, 11:21:58 AM
Well that certainly was well worth waiting for Shirl.

What a lovely little holiday within a holiday. I wish we could take a leaf out of your book. If only I could the the time off work, as just  like Haybo, we are so eager not to miss any Kalkan in our measly 2 and a bit weeks, we don't get chance for much else  :'(  -  roll on retirement !!

Can't wait for the next installment.  :)
Post by: Babs on August 07, 2015, 06:15:33 PM
Frankly Shirl I thought you'd gone into hiding!  :laugh:
But it was worth waiting for. The fish market sounds like just my sort of place but like others we've never visited. Maybe next year......or the year after. We are determined to spend more than our usual 8/9'days in Kalkan one year, will just have to cut back on our trips elsewhere as we run out of leave time!  :(
Post by: keith on August 07, 2015, 07:41:30 PM
Bob and Jayne....what a great post. ☺☺ It has really put us in the zone for our visit in two weeks time. I know that we won't get close to anything quite as adventurous and my posts will be quite bland in comparison.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 08, 2015, 05:36:15 AM
We'll you'll be pleased to know here I am again! another blog in just over 24 hours! The thing is we are still on stupid o'clock waking up, anything between 6.19am and 6.34am! although one morning I woke at 7.45am! My promise to myself for an early morning walk has so far only happened once in 8 days! but the walks up that hill in the day are more than compensating for it!

Thanks for all your lovely comments, it must sound like we are busy bees but to be honest, we love planning our little excursions, and our little mini holidays within our holiday, all on a  budget.  Next year we are thinking of getting a flight to Rhodes from Bournemouth which isn't far from where live,  and then spending 3 or 4 days in Rhodes and then taking the ferry from Rhodes to Fethiye, which is only about an hour and then on to Kalkan, all depends on the price of the flights though, we may have to fly from London.

Anyway, back to yesterday. We unpacked from our few days away, washing machine on, a quick light breakfast of toast and marmalade and we were off!  :D Today's trip was on Pina X with Captain Abdi at the helm, all booked from the UK, started off originally with Bob and I and Haybo and family, then Julie and Paul (Kalkan Gems) fancied joining us, and another friend Mandy and her son's partner, so in total we increased the numbers to 12, and we took over the whole boat, and what a fab day we had.  Moored up in Fernez Bay, with lots of swimming, fun and laughter, there was a massive luxury yacht called "That's Life" fantastic, well worth googling it! Lunch was served, Abdi's normal lovely Turkish cuisine, and then onto the stop past Camel Rock and onto the mud bath.  4 of us decided to go for it, smothered ourselves in the mud, and stood there drying out, and turned round and there was Osman from Yildez 2, he was so pleased to see us, obviously not looking my best but he still insisted on giving me a big hug! what a gentleman that man is.  His 2 daughters were with him, gosh how they have grown up since we first knew them.  Looking forward to a trip out on his boat too next week. Next stop Snake Island for more swimming and snorkeling and seeing the lovely goats running back and forwards in the sunshine.  Still full from our beatiful lunch, fruit followed by cake and biscuits, I couldn't eat another thing.  Back to the harbour we sailed, another lovely day had by all. 

We all decided a quick pit stop at Cafe Leon for iced coffees, beers, wine and a Mohito (not all for me I must add), we said our goodbyes to everyone at the roundabout and off to the greengrocers Bob and I went.  We bought some salad and fruit and slowly, very slowly we walked up the hill to our apartment. 

It was almost 7pm by the time we arrived back, we were so so hot, we dropped our shopping in the kitchen and we were in that pool cooling off.  I mean't to say my new Lidl Walter Hammock emerged on Monday, and so far is holding up well!  After a shower we just sat on the balcony, music on having a glass of wine, and we were done.  We were cooking tonight, just chicken and salad, and suddenly it was 9.30pm. Out came the multi chef on the balcony and Bob cooked the chicken in Turkish spice, I did the salad, he had already made the Yoghurt dressing (not sure whether it is called Haydari), but it went well with the chicken, we have cracked that yoghurt now, and got the right one, it's yummy! By the time we had finished and cleared away it was almost midnight, so off to our bed we went.

BL - Our new hoover is going to be tested out this morning after breakfast, so ours will be gathering dust too!  ::) ::)

We also have managed to book a Jeep for a day when my daughter comes out the week after next, am really excited about that, after seeing Alper the other day and having to turn down the offer of a lift down into town. :D

Until next time........

Sx

Post by: Kalkan regular on August 08, 2015, 11:55:15 AM
We're doing Rhodes for 6 nights on the way to Kalkan at the end of September, crossing to Fethiye by the hydrofoil. I'll let you know how it goes Jayne.
Post by: Tyros on August 08, 2015, 02:00:02 PM
Hi Jayne and Bob, sounds like you are having a great time - I am enjoying reading your blogs. Sorry we are not there with you but I am sure we will meet again in Kalkan in the future. We are back, for 6 weeks, on 10th September - this will be our third visit this year an so looking forward to it. Anyway keep up the good work and take care and hope to see you sometime.

Graham (Tyros) and Sandra xx
Post by: Babs on August 08, 2015, 07:41:19 PM
What a brilliant idea combining Rhodes with Kalkan, never would have occurred to me!
Post by: suzyq1 on August 09, 2015, 08:43:53 PM
Oh Jayne, all I can say is " wish I was still there" The sad thing is I have the leave and am off work but OH doesn't. Wonder if he'd notice if I slipped away for a few days?    >:D
Rhodes - Kalkan ….food for thought.

Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 10, 2015, 06:14:20 AM
Day 9 already! wow where is the time going?

Saturday - a slow start this morning, absolutely nothing planned, so where will the day take us? started off with a leisurely al fresco full English cooked again in the multi cooker on the balcony, and it was very nice indeed, didn't over indulge though, but so nice. We couldn't decide on what to do, but finally decided on the Beach Club. Off we went down to the harbour, frozen water in the bag, and on the ferry to Kalkan Beach Club, our favourite. Same price as last year on the boat 5TL each and then it is deducted from your bill, sunbeds included. Although almost midday, it wasn't overly busy, we were shown to our sunbeds on the front and we were pitched for the duration.  When I say pitched, there was a slight mishap, as I sat down on the my bed, I heard a big crack, and before I knew it I was on the floor and sunbed had broken in two, it wasn't due to the full English I might add, apparently the leg was already broken I was told! but what an entrance! All was fine, they quickly brought me another bed and I was set up for the afternoon. They have 2 kayaks for people to use this year, and I had great fun launching myself into one, but managed not to capsize it, although unbeknown to me, Bob took a video of me in it, which obviously I won't share on here! We swam, napped, ordered drinks and icecreams and before we knew it the time was 6pm, couldn't believe we had been there 6 hours, it was the best! Off we went on the ferry, still the old Captain driving and the tall smiley guy as the boat hand, happy in their work, and seems like nothing is too much bother for them. They have a bigger boat this year, and still the smaller one too. The turtles are still in the water over there, we saw one, and apparently someone was telling us there is a three legged one which is very friendly, but we have yet to see him!

A slow climb up through town, stopping at 3 bag shops! yeah my day is getting even better, have researched the Hermes belts and mulberry clutch, and mulberry messenger bag that my friends have ordered, but now the decision is what do I want! there are so many to choose from, so am not going to rush I have decided! have plenty of time to decide.  Next stop Carrefour to stock up on supplies, very busy in there and wasn't that enamoured by it to be honest, was great at Easter, but just seemed so busy and not as good as I had remembered, but may have been an off day! still 184TL later and everything bought,(and we seemed to have bought a lot) we were outside waiting for a taxi to take us up the hill with our 6 bags of shopping.

By the time we got back it was almost 8pm! where had the day gone. Bob had asked me earlier where did I want to eat, but to be honest all I wanted to do was chill on our balcony again with a nice glass of something! and eat at home. So that is what we did, We had more of the same for dinner, chicken kebabs with red peppers and onions, salad and our homemade Hadari, followed by fresh cherries and a delicious chocolate and vanilla icecream that we had bought in Migros.

The Mosquito sprayers were out in force this evening, going round twice while we were sat on the balcony.  I have been bitten a few times already this year, the little blighters seem to be going for my ankles, Bob has been spared so far!! fortunately.

Almost midnight again, and I was done! off to bed I went leaving Bob drinking his Jack Daniels nightcap and listening to his music. What a lovely day we had had.

Sunday - Feeling refreshed, I woke up early again, and decided I'd go for an early morning walk (2nd of the holiday so far, not good is it, considering I was going to go every morning!) I was surpised to see 3 or 4 people jogging, even though only 7am it was still very hot, I walked along into town, the shops slowly setting up for the day, lots of deliveries arriving at the greengrocers, people already having their Turkish breakfast in the bakers, managed to walk straight past without venturing in for bread (as it is a fresh fruit and yoghurt day for breakfast this morning), ended up down by the harbour, it was so nice, I am looking forward to an early morning swim very soon when my friend (Lizilu20) arrives on Friday!!! back up the hill feeling pleased with my morning stroll.

Today we were going to check out the new Asfiya Hotel complex, it is only 5 minutes walk down the road which I passed by on my walk on our first full day.  Same lovely guy on the reception, he welcomed us with open arms, showing us around and taking us down to the pool restaurant and bar area.  I declined the offer of the outside lift, as not my thing, so walked down taking in the view.  It is beautiful, the view is spectacular overlooking Kalkan bay and we couldn't have been looked after better if we were in the Ritz! We were on a breakfast and dinner day today, so having decided not to have lunch before we set off, we were slowly regretting our decision, as the food that they were serving looked delicious.  We just had coffees and Bob had beer, but it was lovely.  We swam, laid on the most amazing sunbeds with cushions that are more comfy than our bed, they waited on us hand and foot.  There weren't many people there, but the 2 couples we got talking to were as impressed with their day out as we were.  one of them had already been for an evening meal there, and they said it was the best they had eaten so far on their holiday.  As soon as we arrived we were given towels to use for the day, so we didn't even need our own.  Absolutely perfect day was spent, and we have booked to go back on Wednesday for dinner, when they have live music on!

It was almost 5pm before we realised it, popping in the Emir apartments to see our friend who is going home on Tuesday and then back home for another swim. Our air con unit in the bedroom is leaking water, so Bob was on the phone for quite a while trying to sort out an Engineer to come out, very difficult to explain with limited Turkish, but finally he sorted it and they are coming on Tuesday. It was almost 9pm before we set off out for dinner, planning on calling in at Blue Turtle bar for the live music afterwards.  Quite a nice breeze this evening as we wandered along the top road (as we call it) towards Yali supermarket, left or right, we turned left and went to Ata Meze Grill, it was very busy, so waited quite a while, but the food was good, I had grilled halloumi cheese to start and a huge shrimp casserole and Bob had garlic mushrooms and mixed grill.  We were so full, even though only had our fruit and yoghurt all day, we must stop ordering starters as the puffy breads and dips and other things you get complimentary are more than enough!

After dinner, we wandered back down into town stopping as the cash machine to get some English money to pay for the car hire tomorrow, a quick stop in A101 for kitchen roll that we had forgotten the day before, lovely welcome as we walked by from the Kaya boys, held on tightly to my pandora bracelet and ring when Kadir the magician appeared!!! promising them we will go in for dinner one evening, just amazes me watching his disappearing tricks! it was getting late, but we wanted to still go to Blue Turtle Bar, only a few people in there, Baris made us as welcome as ever, an English lady and her Turkish husband were singing and they were brilliant.  Almost midnight now and back home we went, our bed was calling.

Monday - Awoke feeling like I was in a sauna, the air con wasn't on, thinking on no has it broken completely now, then realised the fan wasn't on either! Bob was already awake, telling me no electric!! it was 5.38am! hadn't even managed to sleep past 6am this morning now! We are sitting on the balcony as much cooler, managed to make a coffee on the hob with a lighter, so that's something I suppose. Gradually it is getting light, so am doing my blog very early this morning, but obviously won't be able to post it as no internet yet!

Interestingly it is surprising how many people are up and about at this time of day, quite liking people watching from the balcony at 6am! the pool man doesn't arrive until 7am so am thinking I might go in for a quick dip before he gets here.

There are lots of kittens on the otherside of the road too, and one little one has just ventured through our gate and drinking out of the pool, they must be so thirsty.  We are sat looking at Yellow Villa too, Antler if you were still here we could wave to you!!

Well it's 6.45am now and still no electric, too stifling to go back to bed, so off for a stroll! Was lovely this morning, lots of people about obviously the same idea as me, too hot to sleep, stopped off at the bakers, amazes me how many people are eating breakfast this time of the morning, loaf purchased, couldn't slice as no electric! and a little treat for Bob a lovely warm cheese pastry! that's all I can describe it as, but the smell walking back was yummy! they had 4 choices, spinach and feta cheese, meat, cheese or potatoe! Maybe we'll have to try them all as they all looked delicious.  On the way back I passed the shop in the Kalamar Road that sells sunchair cushions and bean bags, so trusting they are left out all night, would never happen in the UK.  Greeted outside our gate by the lovely dog from next door called Guman, he has taken a liking to our wall and seems to get so excited when he sees us, he is so cute.

The smell of freshly brewed coffee greeted me when I walked in, so Bob was very happy when I presented him with his breakfast treat from the Bakery! Just sat down to eat and the electric came back on yeah!

We are picking up our car hire at 9am today, still haven't fully decided on where we are going but will let you know in a day or two ....

Sx

Tyros - Hopefully next year our holiday dates may cross over with you and Mrs Tyros  :D
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 10, 2015, 02:23:01 PM
I'm liking the sound of your possible Rhodes adventure next year and looking forward to hearing how it went for you Kalkan regular  - please report back.

Well it really won't be long now before I can do that early morning walk and swim with you Jayne. The hours and days are really dragging their feet though.

You're really having a ball and I'm loving your reports. Enjoy your day today and see you soon.  :) :) 8)
Post by: keith on August 10, 2015, 08:03:13 PM
Bob and Jane....another excellent post that makes me feel that I am already in Kalkan. I'm feeling the heat,  imagining the walk back up the hill from the harbour and tasting the Efes. Only 13 more sleeps and we'll be there. Who's counting???? WE ARE!!
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 10, 2015, 11:51:13 PM
Another great post, Jayne. Gosh...all the power cuts reminds me of Kalkan in the early days. They used to regularly cut the power in August - it was just expected but last time we came in August it didn't happen once and it rarely happened in early/late season. Sounds like there are issues again.... ???
Well done on the walking, you're getting about quite a bit so don't be hard on yourself. Was it the Asifya Seaview Hotel you went to or have they opened up the Asifya on Kalamar Road..? Sounds like you had a great day.
Looking forward to reading more about your trip.
Post by: suzyq1 on August 11, 2015, 08:45:08 AM
Thanks for bringing a little bit of sun into my very dull, wet Tuesday. I may be wrong K4E, but I think it is the Asfiya Sea view Hotel. Looks lovely on their web site.

Not long now Jayne till you have your swimming partner! Not sure where you are staying this year Lizilu but if you are in the same area as last year I guess you will have a bit further to walk than Jayne, but I don't want to hear any excuses!
Post by: janeb on August 11, 2015, 10:06:10 AM
 :) Really enjoying your posts. Sounds like you're having a fab time.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 11, 2015, 06:46:49 PM
Monday - Collected the car promptly at 9am, our day had begun.  Alper had the car all ready for us, Mr Haybo was arriving as we were about to drive off to collect their Jeep, everyone happy bunnies!

First stop the equivalent of what Bob calls Kalkan B&Q for some lightbulbs and numerous other boring stuff, but he was happy with his purchases. A quick stop to the factory at Berzigan to get some clips for the mosquito panels, as you do! the lovely
little man in the village supermarket on the roadside was calling me over, absolutely no English or Turkish spoken by us both, but I ended up buying a melon, not sure what sort it is, he insisted on giving me cherries and apricots to taste, I keep saying where would that happen in the UK! Boring stuff done in less than an hour and we were off!

Patara Beach first stop.  We bought the 10 day pass for 15TL, thinking it was still quite early around 11am it wouldn't be that busy, but it certainly was.  So hot, and there seemed to be a problem with the parasols at the beach, very windy, and no material ones available only the wicker version, but they were all taken, poor  beach man was frantically banging holes in the sand and trying to put more parasols in, fortunately for us we were given the last one available and we were very grateful! The sea was quite rough, so didn't venture in more than once! After 2 hours we had had enough sun so lunch was calling but where! we had the car, and thought we would go to Yelkin Bistro for burgers, it was on our list to of to do things! and so glad we did! All I can say is that it is an upmarket Burger restaurant with a difference! the menu is varied and not just burgers.  We had the Num Num Burger 25TL each and it was fantastic! and we will definitely go back to sample the  menu again, someone was having fillet steak and that look fabulous. Next stop Jasmine Coiffeur, the shellac toenails just have to go, why did I choose Coral! I hated it, such a sweet girl in there, 30 minutes and all of 10Tl worth later toenails acetoned and each wrapped individually with tin foil, it was gone, I was a happy lady! Bob sweltering in the car outside, I had said will only be 5 minutes! I didn't realise it took that long to remove shellac!

Next stop Kapatas! thinking on a lovely swim to swim off our amazing lunch, on arrival, it was seriously  busy.  Cars, lorries, jeeps, bikes, the world and his wife were here! Stopped to take a photo, Bob said he would turn round and pick me up on the way back.  10 minutes later and photos taken, still no sign of our Kleo car hire and Bob! beginning to panic a bit now,hope he was okay and hadn't had an accident, but no he had had to drive almost to Adem's Restaurant to turn round before there was a safe turning point.

Next stop Akcagerme Beach, busy to say the least, took ages to fine a parking space,
absolutely full and not as we remembered it. We had a quick swim to cool off and an icecream, and I think I said last year, still the best prices for icecream 1tL for a Twister lolly! and back to the car we went. For all us ladies, we spotted a budgie smuggler on the beach, but perhaps not as you would imagine! there was a Turkish family carrying a bird cage with a budgie on the perch! They pitched up on their sunbeds in front of us and carried on like we do at a beach club! He was under the umbrella though!

Kas - Drove into Kas around 5pm, we drove along by the harbour and ended up at Hera Hotel Beach.  We ordered 2 cola lites! as driving! right on the sea front opposite Meis and watched the sun go down. The best sunset we have ever seen, wish I could
post the photo! Such lovely guys at the bar, and they asked us what sun beds we wanted to reserved for tomorrow!

Almost 8pm when we left, back to Kalkan we went, on the way back passing the Blue Caves, there were literally hundreds of bats flying overhead, never seen anything like it, amazing! we drove past Gurus where Haybo was, but sadly didn't call in as we were somewhat bedraggled from our lovely day. We had had the best day even though a little tired! A quick stop in Migros, and back home!

We made a tuna salad for a very late dinner and we were ready for our bed!

Tuesday - Day of rest! Air Con man arrived at 9am, all fixed 30 minutes later.  No more dripping now my side of the bed and bedside cabinet back in its place! Planning on Asfiya for lunch and a swim today, to just chill! ..... It is the new Asfiiya hotel overlooking the bay ladies, well worth a visit, the food it fantastic!

Sx
Post by: keith on August 11, 2015, 07:28:55 PM
Another brilliant post Bob and Jayne and another great day. Helping me to prepare for my well earned break in Kalkan. Only 8 working days to go!!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 11, 2015, 07:41:42 PM
Yes, fantastic report and I love the budgie smugglers tale. You don't know how excited we all are right now.  Getting a bit manic though - way behind on the preps!!  ::)

Keith, I feel your anticipation but it won't be too long for you I promise. The last week or so will really fly by.  :)
Post by: janeb on August 11, 2015, 09:10:25 PM
Another great post. Must go to see the budgie smugglers! Sounds like you had a very long and lovely full day with lots of adventures. It seemed like 101 beaches in just one day!

Would interested in your thoughts on Asfiya sea view we stayed there last year just as they opened last year. A very beautiful hotel, fantastic views and beautiful rooms; It would be fair to say then that the hotel had huge promise but lots to do to get the ambiance and the food offering right. I understand that Adem (formerly manager of Asfiya and Lykia Gardens) is in charge this year so I'm sure things will now be great.  :) :)
Post by: Babs on August 11, 2015, 10:08:36 PM
Bit of a busy theme to that post Shirl!
I think we should have a little competition to see who can spot the oddest thing on a turkish beach.......Shirl, you're the one to beat!  :laugh:
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 13, 2015, 05:34:31 AM
And so I continue! Tuesday lunch, down to Asfiya for lunch, a real treat, like fine dining at normal prices, it was delicious.  Just one mishap today, got up from the table after lunch and went to walk back to the sunbed, Bob still paying the bill, when the waiter pointed down to my feet laughing, yes only I could do it, one pink Croc flip flop on and one grey one of Bob's, and I hadn't even noticed.    ::) ::)

We really were chilling today, just lazed around the pool most of the afternoon, except for the odd dip in the pool, a well deserve relax was had by us.  6,30pm and time to go.  A quiet evening in tonight, Bob made lamb kofte with home made garlic bread and salad, another delicious meal. 

Wednesday - Yildez 2 day! off we set all bright eyed and bushy tailed, via the supermarket to get some lip salve, the sun has really taken it's toll on them this year! duly bought along with 2 x tins of baked beans as you do when going on a boat trip! and off we went.  As usual, the lovely Osman and Zeynap and his daughters greeted us with open arms, and on board we went.   What a fantastic day we had, the food seems to get better every year, there was so much, and it was fabulous, how do they do it in such a confined space.  Had to laugh, when we departed Zeynap was at the wheel and Osman was cooking! brilliant.  The sea was a little choppy but it didn't stop us, we went to all the familiar places, Kalamar Bay, Fernez Bay, Camel Stone, mud bath and back to Fernez. Only slight problem on one of the journeys, where the wind got up! one of the cushions along with Bob's hat flew overboard! as quick as anything Osman turned the boat round, out came the biggest net I've seen, and they retrieved both in a matter of minutes! Mid afternoon out came the array of lovely fresh fresh, followed soon after by cake, biscuits, tea and coffee. We couldn't eat another thing, but we had had a truly magical day.

We returned to the harbour around 5.45pm, tired but very happy having had a fantastic day again on Yildez 2.  It was very hot when we got off the boat, no breeze like there had been on the boat, so only option we thought hop in a Taxi. 5 minutes later, and 10TL later, we were back in the apartment with the air con full blast!

We had booked dinner down at the Asfiya tonight, live music was on, so looking forward to our evening.  Had a little rest, showered and we were ready to go.  I was determined to wear my new Maxi dress I had bought, had been too hot so far this holiday, but there was a cool breeze so thought I would go for it tonight.  We had a lovely evening, the food, music and everything about our evening was fab, it just finished off a perfect day for us.  Back home around midnight, greeted by the lovely dog that seems to have befriended us, and our heads hit the pillow and we were asleep in no time at all.

Thursday - Market Day today with our new tartan trolley!  ;D

Sx
Post by: Babs on August 13, 2015, 04:25:14 PM
Sounds wonderful and I'm glad you've had a good rest before your partner in crime arrives!  :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 13, 2015, 04:50:57 PM
A tartan trolley...? Oh my :)
Yildiz boats are my favourite, just love those brothers and their families. How do they remember everyone year after year..? We really like the sound of Asifya Sea View - adding it to my list as we speak for 2016. Although I promised myself not to patronise the place given its location...but hey I'm fickle :P
Loving your reports Jayne, thanks for posting.
Post by: keith on August 13, 2015, 07:54:13 PM
6 more work days and seriously counting down. Every time I read a holiday report I feel that I am  in Kalkan and so (in my imagination) l've already enjoyed  a four month holiday. Thanks to all of you that have shared your holiday experiences...  .good and bad....every post has added to our anticipation of  our next visit a week on Monday.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 16, 2015, 03:27:39 PM
Thursday - Market day was same old, but still we enjoy popping along there, we didn't stay very long as it was so hot, got the few things on our list, 2 new bath mats, some screws from the DIY stall, 1 kilo of the most amazing cherry tomatoes for 3TL and a kilo of peaches. A mid morning brunch was on the cards, we had told Haybo about Cafe Karve 6 just down the road from the market, we had heard good reviews so planning on us going there.  Disappointment followed as there was no sign of life when we got there and it was closed! Sun was blazing hot by now, so we decided to go back to the apartment for breakfast.  2 slices of scrambled eggs on toast later and we were happy.  A pool afternoon for us it was, before getting ready for our Moonlight cruise on Yildez 3 at 6pm. 

It was a lovely evening, and Bob took some amazing photos of the sunset, Adam, his wife and son made us very welcome and we were looked after and fed very well! As Haybo has mentioned the sea was very bracing, but it had to be done. Very distressing for poor Haybo and OH losing his wallet and phone, but a happy ending in the end was found.  :D

Friday - Our lovely friends had arrived, all was quiet when we woke up, no sign of life from the apartment above yet! couldn't wait to see them now, and sure enough around 10am they appeared.  It was so lovely to see them again and we just picked up from where we had left off last year! Brunch was served followed by Efes, lots of chatting, a swim in the pool, more wine, more beer, a fab meal at Marina, back home and more alcoholic beverages until way past 3am!

Saturday - After a very slow start due to a somewhat fuzzy head, I'm never drinking again, I was saying to myself, it was going to be a Beach day today. We feel we have neglected the town beach this year, having only been once so far.  It was a bit cloudy this morning, but very hot.  We got 2 umbrellas today but still it seemed stifling.  We had a few swims, a chicken sandwich from the beach cafe to soak up the alcohol, and I was feeling a bit better, by mid afternoon the heat was a little unbearable, so off to Fener we went, 2 fresh mint lemonades and 2 coffee and chocolate icecreams, topped with more chocolate and nuts, the icecreams are still only 5TL each, and the best I think you can get. We haven't been to Fener this year, and was pleasantly surprised how nice it still is, and the menu looks good too, so will be visiting for a meal soon I am sure.

Back to the apartment around 4pm, Lizilu and Automan came back, a quick dip in the pool, and dare I say it, a couple of glasses of wine we all had while sat on their roof terrace admiring the view.

We were all going to Kaya for dinner tonight, Haybo and her family were coming too.  We had a lovely meal, and Kadir was entertaining us with his magic, he never ceases to amaze us with his tricks, he is brilliant! After dinner, I was done in, all I wanted to do was go to bed, we all popped into Yali, bought up their stash of magnums from the freezer,  said farewell to everyone and off we went to our bed.

Sunday - Up early this morning, feeling on top of the world, so much better, a nice early morning stroll was the order of the day.  I decided to walk along Kalamar Road today, lots of people about, even though not even 7.30am.  A couple of people jogging, wow, how do they do that in this heat. Took a few photos on the way 45 minutes later I was back home having my freshly brewed coffee. Fruit was on the menu for breakfast today, as we were all going as we were all going for lunch at the Asfiya Hotel.

Our holiday is half way through now, but we are having a fabulous time, and this week my daughter arrives, so can't wait to see her and show her our beautiful piece of paradise! She has never been to Kalkan and I know that she will love it as much as we do.  :D

Sx

Post by: keith on August 16, 2015, 04:05:36 PM
Another enjoyable post that has got me in the groove for Kalkan next Monday night. Can't wait!!
Post by: Babs on August 16, 2015, 05:20:18 PM
Lovely......I bet you are excited about showing your daughter Kalkan?...she will love it, our 2 have been going to Kalkan for years and are still addicted!
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 17, 2015, 09:52:45 AM
Oh how lovely that your daughter will be joining you, having never been to Kalkan before. What a treat! I bet you have the time you are spending together all mapped out.
Halfway through..? Oh Lordy where is the time going. Ah well soon be Christmas >:D
Look forward to hearing more about your stay :)
Post by: Babs on August 17, 2015, 08:48:54 PM
Did someone say the "c" word!!  :o
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 18, 2015, 06:06:53 AM
Morning everyone, and thanks for all your ocmments, feel I have been a bit amiss with my posts this year, think it is a case of having "Fun In The Sun........" well that is our catch phrase of the holiday this year (isn't it Lizzie!!!!)

Before I begin, we have decided another contender for the funniest thing we have seen on our holiday this year, the first being the budgie smuggler on the beach is the waiter in the lift with Bob taking his payment on the card machine, well never ever seen that before!

Following on.   Sunday - we all trooped down the the Asfiya, feel like family in there now, the Gang loved it, we rocked up on those beds again, swam, had a fabulous lunch, some drinks and a nap in the sunshine, well a bit of a longer nap for a certain person  ::) ::)

We were off to Bodamye Tepe as you know that evening, so left around 5pm to go back to get ready, and of course needed to leave enough time for a quick sundowner before we went up to Islamlar! We love going up there, and was a bit concerned about wasps and the like joining us, but it was lovely, even with the paddle of ducks, a couple of lizzards and the weird looking land crab crawling along behind me, that did freak me out somewhat. We had a fab evening, with such nice food, always having the srhimp casserole when I go there, but this year to my horror it wasn't on the menu, but Hassan said no problem they would make it for me anyway, and they certainly did a good job.  OH had Mexican chicken with mushroom and cheese, and that was so good, of course the obligatory chips had to be had, not sure why everywhere I go I say wow these are the best chips! Wasn't going to drink too much this evening, but again the obligatory sharing bottle of wine with my drinking partner had to be done  :D Such a  bad influence on me she is!!!  ;D ;D

We paid the bill, and OH went to call the taxi, and to our surprise the Taxi driver was in the restaurant and had waiting for us all the time and had been watching the football in the restaurant! Safely back down into Kalkan, again the obligatory nightcap for us all, this time on our balcony, just a quick we one said, by 01.30am Automan was ready for his bed, just one more we said, so it was almost 2am before we said goodnight.  Another lovely evening though.

Monday - We were all off to Kalkan Beach Park today, but first my early stroll at 7.30am took me into the bakers for 2 loaves of their lovely nutty bread, if you haven't tried it you must, best bread by far here.  Lots going on this morning in town.  Stopped off at the shop along the Kalamar Road where they sell the sunbed cushions and bean bags, really fancy buying one of those bean bags with the  back rest, they are fab, shop open with everything on display, no one in sight, called out banged on the table still no one appeared, so after ten minutes I left, so trusting everything is here.  Really hot now, so back up the hill I went, firstly popping a bag of the nutty bread on our neighbours door upstairs and then hoping that OH would have the coffee on, and indeed he did! A quick shower and poached eggs with the yummy bread for breakfast.

We all had a lovely time at the Beach Park, fab sunbeds on the new terrace that has been built by the snack bar, and they waited on us very well.  Wasn't going to have lunch today or certainly anything alcoholic, but had burger and chips and 2 x glasses of wine and OH 2 x Belmonti in the afternoon while chatting with our friends. Our pink Can Can Walter made an appearance today, and it was lovely relaxing in the sea so will be taking Walter again definitely.  Lizzie and Automan left around 5pm as their girls were getting so hot now, the sun was beating down, we decided to stay another hour or so.  Before we left we booked our 7 sunbeds for Saturday, on the front row of the terrace, no problem they said.  Perfect!

Back across on the boat, stopping off at the mini market along by the harbour, had a lovely wine the previous evening, Tigris it was called and sure enough they had it, 17.5TL, and very nice indeed.

A taxi was the next order of the day, too hot walking up the hill with the wine and 2.5 litres of Coke zero!! We were there in no time at all, Lizzie and co just having a cool off in the pool. OH and I were staying in tonight to cook with our use ups in the fridge, we said to the gang enjoy their evening and look forward to hearing where they go.

A quick dip for us, and back in the air con.  Certainly had been a lovely day, but was somewhat tired, before we knew it was 8pm, and we were starving.  Chicken in bacon, sausages, salad and some more of the nutty bread was gone in no time at all! followed by a mini magnum! First of the holiday, we were in bed asleep by 10pm!

Tuesday - Feeling more more awake this morning, I think had too much sun yesterday, so going to be careful today! It's Sunset 3 day today with Lizilu, Haybo and co.  Can't wait.

Sx

Post by: Haybo on August 18, 2015, 06:34:38 AM
See you soon Shirl...can you believe i actually slept til 8 today? 18 days in and i'm finally in holiday mode!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 21, 2015, 08:37:28 AM
I'm sorry I haven't blogged very much this holiday, but to be honest, our feet haven't touched the ground.  As you will all know, we are having a ball this year on holiday, each day has been filled with fun, sun, laughter, lovely food, and a tad too much alcohol with our lovely friends from the floor above!

Wednesday 4am my daughter arrived, stayed up until 5.30am catching up,it was so lovely to see her when we finally got to bed we slept until 10am. We didn't even make the market, but there is always next week!

Thursday - Yesterday we all went down to the Asfiya again!! lunch sun and swimming, and back home around 6pm for a quick swim before getting ready to hit the town! and indeed we did!

Firstly Black and Gold, for various cocktails and bottles of wine and beers, Automan is really getting into those Mudslides now.  They look incredibly.  Next stop Botanic for yes more cocktails, wine and beer, not quite sure what happened re dinner, we had all suggested several different places, but we ended up at the Soup kitchen for chicken shish and wraps, and very nice indeed it was too.  I think the whole bill for 7 of us came to just under 80 turkish lira! Back home, as very tired, and somewhat merry we all were at 1.30am!

Friday - Awoke around 8am this morning, feeling surprisingly okayish! definitely a non alcohol day for me today!! Off to Chillies for brunch this morning with the gang and Hayley and Matthew, sadly Dave is poorly so won't be joining us. Then we are planning on showing Katie the town beach before our Moonlight cruise on Yildez 2 this evening.

Sx
Post by: Babs on August 21, 2015, 09:19:06 AM
Sounds like the perfect day but I'm sure there will be some alcohol involved somewhere!  :laugh:
Post by: keith on August 22, 2015, 04:01:22 PM
Sounds as though you are all really enjoying your holiday. We will be arriving on Monday afternoon and I've just finished packing the suitcases. Really hot today so finally getting some acclimatization in the UK. I feel that I will need to be extra careful on the first couple of days to ensure I don't get burnt.
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 23, 2015, 09:26:25 AM
Come on shirl, I've given you a gentle nudge as requested but now I think a cattle prod is in order!!!!  :o  ;D

Never mind waving to us from that motor boat! Your forum needs to know all about it!
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 24, 2015, 06:16:38 PM
Tardy...that's all I can say. Tardy :-* :-*
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 25, 2015, 05:51:06 AM
Tardy!!! how funny K4E  :D, but not this morning though, I'm up before the pool man is even here and doing my long overdue blog!

Firstly apologies, but am not sure what has happened this year, but Lizzie has been doing a fantastic job and keeping you all posted!

Saturday - after a fabulous evening the night before on Yildiz 2, you don't ever think it can get better, but it certainly was a magical evening had by all, not even lots of alcohol was consumed if I remember.

We had decided today to take Katie to Kalkan Beach Park, we left fairly early and over on the little chug boat we went, introducing Katie to the little old Captain and his very nice tall assistant on the way.  Desperately wanted to check out for turtles to show her, but none were to be seen. We had prebooked our sunbeds right on the front row of the new decking, and there they were duly waiting for us.  Had a fantastic day, only mishap was when I passed her headphones to her for her phone, and they slipped down through the decking into the sea! Oh mum!!! I could hear her groan, but in a flash the very nice waiters were running around, one dived in and yes, kindly came back with the headphones with a big grin on is face!.  Bob dried them out and believe it or not they work now!! One happy almost 21 year old! Around lunchtime, she thought she would try out jet skiing, oh please mum come on with me!! are you kidding I said, but I did relent and go in the speed boat to watch.  It looked very scary as she was speeding across the bay on the jet ski, but she had an amazing 15 minute trip (which for me felt like 15 hours) as I was praying she wouldn't come off it! We ventured back to the apartment around 5pm and had all had a lovely day, and one to be repeated before we go home next week.

Our evening was at Moussaka, not sure why but we had never been before, we did book a table a couple of years ago, but cancelled as we had come back from a boat trip and were full, but the food was amazing, and the company, and we had a fun evening celebrating a belated birthday for a lovely lady  :D :D :D

Sunday - Day of rest!! I don't think so, you know us.  Asfiya for a change today! not before our bacon and scrambled egg though.  It was very hot, so we took a slow walk down the road, all of 5 minutes it takes, and reserved our beds, and we were there for the duration. The gang arrived after their brunch at Bread and More and we had another lovely afternoon of what is our catch phrase for the holiday of "Fun in the Sun"  :D :D.

The evening took us to Asian Gate, wasn't sure whether a curry was going to make us feel hotter than we already were, but the food and company was excellent.  Another slow walk up the road home around 11.30pm, no nightcaps for us tonight, Captain sensibles as we are, but to be honest we were all so tired. Said our goodnights and in bed we were before midnight!!!

Monday - Up with the lark, it is Pina X Day today, my favourite boat trip, or is it Yildiz 2, I really can't decide, but we love them all.  Katie was very excited as had loved the moonlight trip and now was looking forward to the day trip.  Down we all trooped in convoy, boarded the boat, greeted by the lovely Captain Abdi and his daughter and off we set. Another 5 people made up the 12 of us, and we had a fabulous day, unfortunately we couldn't go to Mouse and Snake or the mud baths, as the sea become choppy in the afternoon, so we went back via Camel Stone for more swimming.  It was one of the passengers birthday and they had surprised her with the most amazing chocolate birthday cake from Nur Patisserie, and of course we all indulged, happy birthday blaring out through the speakers, everyone singing and clapping while she blew out the candles, it was the perfect end to a perfect day at sea.  It also turned out that the 5 people are on our Kekova trip on Friday so will be nice to see them again.

Back home around 6pm feeling happy and tired, but what a perfect day we had all had. 
No partying tonight for any of us, instead a lovely bbq with the gang on their roof terrace.  Bob had made homemade humous, which was I have to say delicious, a first for him in Turkey, but one to be repeated definitely! We had a lovely dinner, and after indulging far too much, sat on the terrace reflecting on what a lovely day we all had had.
We said our goodnights, and off we went to bed.

Well the pool man has just arrived, so am feeling pleased with myself that I have caught up with my blog!  :D

It's jeep day today, we are planning on breakfast in the mountains, and maybe Patara and Kas, but we shall see, will let you know in the next few days. Next task is to make a pot of coffee for the gang upstairs, as they haven't a cafetierre in the apartment, so have been making them a pot and leaving outside their door in the morning.  Automan yesterday requested croissants and a rose on the tray today, I said don't push it!! lol. I lent him my tartan trolley, and he didn't even use it, and really am not sure why!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Post by: keith on August 25, 2015, 07:14:33 AM
Another enjoyable read Jayne. It's our first morning and I will try to write a post later today when it gets too hot to be outside.
Post by: onelove on August 25, 2015, 08:35:34 AM
Loving your holiday reports Jayne.....keep them coming :-)))
Post by: janeb on August 25, 2015, 10:26:36 AM
 :) Really enjoying your posts, keep them coming. Have really felt like I've been on holiday with you. Thank you so much.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 25, 2015, 11:52:53 AM
aaahhh...there she is. Welcome back 8)
I have really missed reading about what you all get up to and once again, I am impressed by the amount of things you can pack into a holiday. I love the Upstairs Downstairs situation you have going on and that you make fresh coffee for the guests above you...haha! How lucky are they? ;D ;D
Looking forward to hearing all about your trip out on the Jeep - when you have time, of course :)
Post by: Skunk on August 25, 2015, 01:41:12 PM
Lovely to hear the latest Jayne. Thanks for booking Piña X for us, sounds like it should be a perfect day.  8) 8). Good idea booking seats at the beach club. That couple at Asian Gate sound absolutely awful, how people can treat others like that is beyond me. is Asian Gate doing Chinese at all now? Not all that keen on curry at the best of times. Hope the trip today goes well. Xxx :) :)
Post by: Babs on August 25, 2015, 03:22:37 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else hate the idea of being able to book particular sunbeds at the beach clubs? Imagine if Palm Beach introduced this and we went at the same time K4E!!
I would be cross if I turned up first thing (as we normally do) and all the best/front beds had been booked!  ???
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 25, 2015, 04:52:15 PM
Oh Babs, how funny ;D ;D I would just fight you for "our bed", plain and simple! I don't think I would like to turn up and see the best beds reserved, especially if I'd made the effort to get there early. Its taken the Germans and their towel antics to a whole new level...although in my experience of hotels over the past few years the Brits/Americans put the Germans to shame :)
Babs, if you and I were ever in Kalkan at the same time, we would have to draw up a rota for Palm Beach :) :)
Post by: suzyq1 on August 25, 2015, 08:24:47 PM
Another wet gloomy day here in the UK, so lovely to read your latest report. A big thank you to Bob for taking and sending me those photos. It's like having my own Kalkan PA.  :) :)

Sounds like Katie is enjoying her holiday…….another one caught in Kalkan's magical web!  :) :)
Post by: Babs on August 25, 2015, 10:11:08 PM
Fighting talk K4E!  :laugh:
Suzyq1 you are right, it's lovely to read these reports with the atrocious weather that we've had the last couple of days!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 27, 2015, 05:42:44 AM
Thanks for all your comments, now where was I?

Tuesday - oh yes, Jeep day.  Well that was an experience, much fun was had by all, but not the most comfortable mode of transport.  We had intended to have a village breakfast up in Islamlar, so off we went, Bob driving, and me holding on very tightly, and Katie managed to jump in the back, well for a while anyway! We drove up, and as usual eyes closed on most of the bends, finally arriving at Degirmen Restaurant.  We were greeted by the lovely owner, the place was deserted, but we were made so welcome, we decided on just coffee, and within seconds it arrived, we took in the beautiful view right down into Kalkan and beyond, Mouse and Snake glistening in the distance.  When we left the owner insisted no charge! it astounds me how the lovely people out here are so kind, of course we left them a tip to make up for it though. 

Next stop Patara, via Akbel and Yesilkoy, a lovely drive down there, stopping in Patara village to show Katie what it was like.  The beach was fairly busy, it only being 11am, we went into the beach cafe and ordered chicken sandwiches and cold drinks.  Then off to get our sunbeds and swim in the beautiful warm sea, the surf wasn't too bad today, so we spent a couple of hours there, it was lovely.  The gang arrived not long after us, and managed to get some beds a couple of rows behind us. Next stop we all thought was Lavanta, so off we went.  It was beautiful up there, the view always amazes me everytime I go.  We all had a swim, icecream and various soft drinks and another couple of happy hours was had.  Next stop for us was Kalamar, we wanted to show Katie as many places as we could, so off we went, having forgotten how steep the road down to Kalamar Beach Club is, more tightly shut eyes, but we made it.  We only stayed half an hour, enough time for a quick dip in the sea, we were told we musn't touch the sunbeds, shower, trampoline or anything, or we would be charged, we only wanted a quick look and cool off, so weren't bothered, as was too late now in the day anyway to get beds, as we were going out early this evening.

Back home for a quick shower and change as we had decided to to go back up to Lavanta for dinner to watch the sunset.  Homemade burgers was on our agenda, we had been talking to the lovely Turkish guy and English lady that are running the restaurant, and it all sounded yummy, so that is where we went.  The sunset was the best yet, take a look on Facebook at the photo I have uploaded if you can, it is fantastic, can't take the credit though, because Bob took it.   Our meal was lovely, and if we had more time this holiday, we would definitely return.  Back down into town, dropped off the Jeep, and took a slow walk down through the shops, had intended on our bag shopping tonight, but were too tired, a quick drink in Black and Gold, met up with the gang, but confessed to them that we were party poopers this evening and were going back to our beds! how on earth did I let that happen, must be all the fresh air from the jeep!!  ::)

Wednesday - Feeling refreshed this morning, we were up quite early, showered and ready for Kalkan Beach Park by 10am, Bob quickly went to the Bank, the rate was 4.6 this morning! We met him down at the harbour, and over on the boat we went.  A lovely day we had, lots of swimming, sunbathing, with chicken burgers and fab chips for lunch.  We had a lovely day there.  Back home, and straight in the pool to cool off. 

We were meeting at 7pm on the gang's roof terrace for drinks with some friends, the sun had just set and there was a lovely cool breeze. We had booked a table at Alternatif, and all pre-ordered Chateaubriand, on recommendation from Haybo (thank you so much), it was amazing.  After dinner, a quick scan round the bag shops with Katie, leaving Bob basking in the air conditioning, while we looked, still nothing purchased, but Friday...........

Down to Fener for icecreams, met up with the gang.  Funny what you do on holiday isn't it? who eats icecreams at 11.30pm at night? Not sure what is happening to me, declined the offer of a nightcap, tired again! so off we went back to our beds again just on midnight! having had another lovely day of dare I say it "Fun in The Sun""

Thursday - 7am up bright and breezy! car hire today, starting off with an early morning trip to the market, and then off to show Katie Kas, Kapatas and who knows where else?

Firstly though, coffee time guys, hope you are awake, no sign of life yet upstairs!!!!

Sx
Post by: Haybo on August 27, 2015, 06:22:23 AM
Wow, you are covering some ground! So glad you enjoyed your dinner last night.  Whilst Alternatif doesn't have the sea views, i do love the mosque...it is so atmospheric and i love that they turn the music off when Mosque Man starts th call to prayer!

Have a great day today and look forward to the waving!
Post by: keith on August 27, 2015, 07:43:25 AM
Wow what an action packed couple of days. Makes me feel tired just reading about it. Hope that you have another 'fun in the sun' day today.........for us it's another day by the pool.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 27, 2015, 10:21:22 AM
No wonder you are starting to flag, Jayne...you have incredible stamina to get through the days activities, never mind last well into the night :)
Patara is perfect in the August heat...lovely sea breeze to cool you down, but oh my word that sand is HOT!!
Bob's sunset photo was special - I was trying to work out where you were, and now I know. See if you can upload it to EK, its worth a share..!
4.6tl to the £ - double what we were getting 2 years ago !!! We've bought some back home just because its so high at the minute, the bubble has to burst at some point.
Thanks for posting, Jayne...love your blogs :)
Post by: Skunk on August 28, 2015, 03:48:00 PM
Another great post Jayne. You are making me so excited to be going out there in 10 days. When do you get back? Xxx
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 29, 2015, 06:30:37 AM
Saturday - It's almost 8am and I am sat on our balcony, the sea is like a mill pond this morning with the sun shining over on Mouse Island, and dare I say it only 2 more days and we will be home! I can't believe that we have been here just over a month, where on earth has the time gone? We've had an amazing holiday and lucky to have been here for so long, but I am not feeling the love this morning thinking about going back to work on Tuesday!

Anyway I will continue....

Thursday - last day of the car hire, so off up to the market early, we were there by 8.30am, not many people around, and much cooler than when we would normally go mid morning.  On a mission, we needed some new bath mats from the lovely man just up the first aisle, spices and peppercorns, turkish delight and Beats to take home for the kids.  Everything was purchased in less than 30 minutes, so back to the car and home.  Bob popped up to Akbel to buy some new window clips, and by 9.30am we were all ready for our trip to Kas.  It was seriously hot today, and the air con in the car was sort of doing it's job, but we were still hot.  We stopped at Kapatas to show Katie the view, even though it was early, it was still busy, they have a traffic warden there now, complete with loud hailer directing the cars and monitoring where everyone parks their car, it was still chaos though.  We decided we wouldn't stop but went straight onto Kas.  It was fairly busy in town, but we meandered up through the little streets looking in the shops, chatting to the shop keepers on the way, it was really nice and Katie loved it, but said she still much prefers Kalkan, well to be honest why wouldn't she?  :D
A swim in the sea was the order of the afternoon, so where should be go? Drove past the harbour and went to the Sea View Hotel's beach bar and onto their terrace that leads into the sea, and what a view there was.  Shown to our sunbeds, swanky towels on each, and we were set up for the afternoon.  We ordered fresh orange juice, and other soft drinks, regretting now that we had eaten lunch in town, as the food that they were serving looked delicious, definitely a place to revisit next year. We spent much of the afternoon in the sea, but I have to say it was freezing, apparently cold water springs under the ground, hence the chill in the water, but to be honest it was refreshing as it was so hot.  We had the most amazing view of Meis, it felt like you could almost swim over there as seemed so close. 

Late afternoon - time go go, now if I am honest, I wasn't actually looking forward to the return journey, because Bob and Automan had been chatting and yes you have probably guessed it we were doing the return journey via the mountain route!! Being a somewhat nervous traveller, I tried to persuade him to go back via the coastal route, but no he wasn't having any of it! Large bottle of water on board (thanks Lizzie for that tip) and making sure we had enough fuel off we set.  I spent much of the journey with my eyes tightly shut, Bob kept saying look at the view, your missing it, Katie in the back saying how beautiful it was but a few gasps now and then on some of the hair pin bends! but we made it back safely, somehow we missed Berzegan completely, we saw the sign but never actually saw the road to turn off.  Now that we have done it, I would definitely do it again, still with eyes tightly closed though most of the way.

As soon as we arrived back, messaged the gang to say we were safe and poured myself a large glass of wine for my bravery! new drink, frozen grapes in the wine, blooming delicious. Our friend had brought some from their grapevine in the mountains, and they are sweet and so good, just an experiment I thought, but so good. Our evening at Gourmet followed, I too had Who Let the Chickens Out, Bob Beef curry and Katie Beef Noodles, fab food.  We should have known that something would happen because as we were shown to our seats, I trip on the top step and fell over, I felt so stupid, must have been the grapes in that wine!

Friday - Kekova round 2! Collected by Define Tours at 9am on the dot, somewhat hazy (me I mean), but the journey was lovely, again all through the mountains, am getting used to this now.  2 of the families that were on Pina X were on the trip too, so was nice to see them all again.  An hour later we arrived, all boarded the boat and off we set.  We've done this trip several times now over the past few years and once already this year, but today's was by far the best.  We swam with turtles, Bob actually touched one of them, apparently barnacles on it's back, there were so many swimming around today, and I can't get over how tame they are.  The boat seemed to take a different route today, and stopped off at different coves for swimming, the usual stop off at Simena for ice creams, I had told Katie how beautiful it was, but she couldn't believe how lovely it was.  The boat went into the blue cave, we were sat on the front of the boat so had the best view in there.  Lunch was served, bbq chicken and the usual feast that they serve on a boat, we still don't know how they manage to cook for 20 people plus on such a tiny bbq! It was our intention to sleep for a while in the afternoon, but it didn't materialise as we spent most of the time swimming and looking at the turtles.  Time to go home, back on the coach and a safe journey back to Kalkan.  We said our farewells to the lovely people that we had met, and almost fell in the door as we were so tired.  We watched the sun go down sat on the balcony with a nice cold drink (Automan popped down with some Baclava and Icecream, thank you).  It was after 9pm before we had even showered, we were just going to pop to Hunkar for dinner, we were still full from lunch, and walk into town to continue our bag shopping (now there's another story), and hopefully meet up with the gang in Black and Gold later.

Bags - yes I forgot to mention that! the previous evening before Gourmet, we had started on our mission.  Katie got a Celine black bag, 1 hermes belt and a Mulberry envelope clutch.  I got 2 Hermet belts and a Mulberry clutch for my friend in BSG, and tonight the Mulberry Messenger in Misty May for another friend. It seems that we have bags and belts coming out of our ears, but we are really pleased with our purchases! Today I am on a mission to go back for another Celine bag, it is lovely.

Anyway, Hunkars it was, collected the bag from Misty May and onto Black and Gold, we were done! We saw our friends who are staying at the Emir and had a lovely chat and catch up with them, everyone we see is smiling and having a lovely time, it is so nice to see, they are off on a Jeep Safari today, so were excited for that.  It was getting late and our beds were calling, the gang were still finishing their meal, so we decided to go back (via one of those yellow things on wheels)! In bed by midnight.  Another glorious day of Fun in the Sun!!

Saturday - As I said earlier, not feeling the love this morning, but you know what after writing this blog, I am feeling happier.  Today is Beach Club day, followed by dinner at Marina Restaurant with the gang, can't wait! If I don't finish my blog until back in the UK please forgive me, as I need to savour my last 2 days here in the Paradise.

I think I can hear movement on the top deck, so time for my delivery of Costa Coffee to our friends it is!

Sx

Ps I forgot to say so sorry Haybo we forgot to wave on the webcam when we walked past last night, but what a fab screenshot of us walking down you sent.  Thank you  :D :D
Post by: keith on August 29, 2015, 07:26:30 AM
Yet another fabulous post Jayne. We've enjoyed reading about your daily adventures and the way that you have described them has made us feel as though we have been in the car with you!! I look forward to reading your next post even if it is written when you are back in England.
Post by: Haybo on August 29, 2015, 07:31:50 AM
You're welcome! It is hard to know whether you waved or not because of the 5 second delay! You looked like you were on a misdion and indeed you were! Hope your journey home is smoother than ours!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 29, 2015, 08:26:00 AM
Keith, thank you for your kind words, really sorry we haven't met up, but our last few days have been so busy, but hopefully next time we are in Kalkan altogether we can arrange it.  Enjoy the rest of your holiday and keep on posting too if you have time.  :D

Haybo - will message tonight when we are walking by that webcam again lol!

Sx
Post by: Skunk on August 29, 2015, 05:07:02 PM
Another great post Jayne. Enjoy your last couple of days and I'll be in touch when we get there! S xxx 8) 8) 8)
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 30, 2015, 08:47:57 AM
What a great post, Jayne.....i can forgive you, in advance, if you dont get to add to this blog before you go home because its been FAB U LOUS!!
Enjoy your last few days...really the time has gone way too quickly for us, so it will have flown for you.
Really loved your posts AND I make no apologies for saying it again...you pack so much into your days, its impressive!
It will be quiet on the forum without you both...come on everyone. Get posting, there's a big gap to fill.
Post by: janeb on August 31, 2015, 08:53:06 PM
Thank you so very much for sharing your 'fun in the sun'.  I've so enjoyed reading about your adventures , it's been funny and entertaining.

Hope your last few days were fabulous.

Safe journey home.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 01, 2015, 04:49:48 PM
I said I would continue when we were home so here goes....

Saturday - Kalkan Beach Park.  We went over mid morning, our last trip on the little ferry boat, no Captain this morning, another guy driving this morning, maybe he has a day off on Saturday we thought, greeted by the lovely tall boat hand, ever the gentleman helping us on the boat, today we had bought Pink Walter for her last outing in 2015 before safely packing away until next year  >:( >:( >:(.  We spent a lovely day, swimming and taking in lots of sun to top up our tans, a lovely couple from Birmingham that we had met on Pina X and at Kekova were there too, so we had a lovely chat with them, they too were going home the next day, so were making the most of their last day at the Beach Club.  We ordered lunch, you must try the chicken burgers if you haven't, they are delicious, with fresh orange juice to finish off, was like a marriage made in heaven! There were a few turtles around today, so Bob spent a lot of time in the sea watching them play fighting at the bottom of the sea, he said it was fab to watch.  We left late afternoon to make our way back home, via BSG (again)! then onto Carrefour to look at some deckchairs we had seen, and to buy yet more light bulbs! the chairs weren't as good as we had thought so decided against them. Finally back at the apartment, straight in the pool we went, somehow thinking this would be the last swim in the pool until next year! 

Marina Restaurant it was for dinner with the gang, we had decided on our last night to go there as we had spent the first night there with the gang, and we all love it, especially the peppered steaks! It's becoming an annual tradition now. They came down around 7pm for a sundowner on the balcony before we went out for dinner.  We were a little late for our booking, but those lovely guys in Marina were lovely, nothing is too much trouble, our table was awaiting.  We had a lovely meal, and evening, with fab company and lots of laughs, Bob had mexican steak, I had my favourite peppered steak, and Katie had stuffed calamari which she said was divine! various things for starters, and of course the obligatory home made chips!  We were stuffed to the gills, I couldn't even manage a nightcap.  We made our way to the taxi rank, and back home.  Big hugs all round and to bed we all went.

Sunday - Definitely not feeling the love today! but onwards and upwards and told myself to behave as lots of people don't even get to go on holiday.  Use ups for breakfast this morning, eggs on toast and the Turkish equivalent to Dairy Lea cheese triangles on toast, a magnum and orange juice for Katie, now there's a first for breakfast I said to her! Well you have probably read about the electricity cut, it had entirely nothing to do with me, but it was quite funny! especially Automan ushering his poor girls out of bed to charge up their phones, bless them! Asfiya Hotel again! well who wouldn't, it is lovely, especially for a last day in the sunshine.   8) 8) 8).  We got ourselves comfortable on the amazing sunbeds, I keep saying wow everytime, you could sleep on them with no problem at all.  The gang arrived and it was our last day of "Fun in the Sun".  We hadn't intended on having lunch, as had eaten breakfast, but by 1pm we were all hungry! and lovely it was, a meat platter for Bob, a bit like a Turkish breakfast, but lunch instead, burger and more chips for me, and chicken wrap for Katie, together with the free meze they give you beforehand.  After lunch we all swam and napped around the pool, and then it was time to go, Katie and I down to the Pirat for our pedicure that we had booked.  Automan had been on an early morning walk and found a lovely walk along the bottom road and up by the Likya Pavilion, so we followed the route down, and it was beautiful walking all through the lovely villas and it certainly is a quick route down to the harbour. 

Within an hour and a half, we were all pedicured for 30TL each, such good value, and the lovely girl has since had her baby, so we got to meet him, and what a sweetheart he is.  Back home we went, we were almost packed and being collected at 10.45pm.  Lizzie and Automan came down for a farewell drink, it was lovely reflecting on our fab holiday together, but so sad having to say goodbye to our dear friends. We certainly did have big hugs when they left with tears in our eyes!

We had decided to go for dinner before our transfer arrived, so Bob, Katie and I went to the Lime, we had heard good reports, and our only regret is that we didn't go before, it was fabulous food, and they deserve to do really well.  We had just ordered our food, and down the hill came the gang, more hugs and farewells and off they went into town. 

Back to the apartment for 10pm, and good job we did because the car arrived 15 minutes early, a lovely drive to the airport, but we all felt somewhat sad to be leaving Kalkan.  Katie was flying direct to Gatwick from International and we were flying from Domestic to Istanbul.  More tears as we had to say goodbye to Katie, lots of hugs and promises she would message as soon as she landed and she was gone! Back in the car and our turn now.  The domestic airport at Dalaman is very different, for a start it was cool and the air conditioning on.  We had to wait an hour to check in as we were early, but everything was straight forward and the plane was on time.  This time we were sat together, the flight took one hour, breakfast was served (it was only 4am) and before we knew it we were in Istanbul.  The airport is absolutely massive.  I could believe how big, every shop known to man, but to be honest it was 5am and I couldn't even be bothered to shop! We have the airport lounge pass, so fortunately we went in there, I wasn't at all hungry, but couldn't resist the cheese borek and little cheese pastries that were on offer! dinner at the Lime, breakfast on the first plane, and cheese borek at 5am, what is wrong with me! Katie messaged to say she had landed safely, thank goodness, that was one less thing to worry about.  Our flight wasn't leaving until 8am, so quite a wait, but finally we were boarding.  Turkish Airlines Boeing 777 plane, 9 seats across, and 4 sections,  OMG I was thinking how on earth is this thing going to get off the ground. Fear of flying deeply affecting me at the time! The only advantage was that we were given seats by the door with a serious amount of leg room! Sadly, we sat on the plane for at least an hour and a half as a poor passenger was ill, the paramedic equivalents boarded, but as we were in a different part of the plane we weren't sure what was happening, the Captain just apologised and said there was a medical issue with someone. Finally we were good to go, Bob said it was a smooth take off, wasn't entirely in agreement, but we were on our way, the screen in front of me was tracking the flight and counting down the time, and I was very happy to see it said 3 hours 29 minutes! What followed next, oh yes more breakfast!!! blimey I'm not sure I could eat anything else. Food and drink Menus were distributed, people were ordering wine and beers, but even a bit early for me at 10am, so opted for orange juice and coffee, oh and another hot breakfast!  The flight was fairly smooth until we reach the UK and then it was quite turbulent, well by my standards, Bob said it was okay, coming into Heathrow I could see the runway, and within minutes we had safely landed  :D  What was that water on the windows! Rain  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Within half an hour we had collected our car and we were on the M25/M3 back to Dorset, stopping off at the supermarket for provisions to make a roast dinner that we had wanted on our return home.  It was around 2.30pm when we arrived home, very very tired, and making a promise that although Turkish Airlines are brilliant, we will never go via Istanbul again, far too long! We thought we would have a couple of hours sleep and set the alarm for 7pm and then get up and make dinner! best laid plans, I just remember waking up and feeling disorientated, then remembered we were home and what a long journey we had experienced, reached over to look at the time, and it was just before midnight!! OMG I had missed my chicken roast! I woke Bob to tell him, and within minutes we were back to sleep, waking at 6am this morning feeling very refreshed after our 13 hours sleep!

Tuesday - Back to work today.  It was lovely to see everyone, but all I really wanted to do was be back in Paradise.

Until next year now folks, but enjoy your holiday if you are there now or have plans to go soon.

Sx
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 01, 2015, 05:28:12 PM
Oh Jayne I have thoroughly enjoyed not only reading your blogs but also being a part of them too. How lucky am I.  :-*

Being back at work stinks and all I've done is dream of being back there with us all. Until next year for more fun in the sun...
Post by: Babs on September 01, 2015, 09:03:47 PM
Jayne, and Lizilu, I've loved reading all about your fun in the sun! Look forward to next year!  :laugh:
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 01, 2015, 09:29:39 PM
No Lizzie, how lucky were we to have shared our holiday with you guys! what a blast we all had! and yes work stinks doesn't it on the first day back, our day today wasn't so good, I left the ipad in Turkey!!! the shower at home has broken and the water has been off for most of the afternoon and evening, and the laptop wouldn't work so hence the delay in my blog! all sorted now though, except we won't see our ipad until next year!!! my fault entirely  :o :o The positive of the day was that we finally got our long awaited roast dinner washed down with 2 glasses of prosecco! xx
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 01, 2015, 10:05:44 PM
Good girl!! I'm on prossecco too. Fancy your shower going at the end of the holiday and ours at the beginning!!
Post by: keith on September 01, 2015, 10:20:45 PM
I'm dreading the thought of going back to the daily grind but at least we've got another five days of fun in the sun in Kalkan. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your antics and I'm sure that you've brought a great deal of joy to all followers of this forum.
Post by: Skunk on September 02, 2015, 11:46:45 AM
You sure did both you and Lizzie. Glad you had such a great time. Xxx  :) :)
Post by: Tyros on September 03, 2015, 01:10:26 AM
Hi Jayne, have really enjoyed your blogs and glad you are home safe and sound. Not wishing to make you jealous but, we are back in our apartment next Thursday for six weeks and really looking forward to it. Take care and hope to meet up again in Kalkan sometime.
Best wishes
Graham & Sandra xx
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 03, 2015, 03:24:17 PM
Thank you all for your lovely comments, it has been fun sharing our holiday with you all.  Tyros - I am very jealous!!! but wishing you and Sandra a lovely holiday, and maybe look forward to a blog or 2! hopefully next year we will be there at the same time, so will be able to meet up.  Take Care

Jayne
Post by: suzyq1 on September 03, 2015, 10:06:51 PM
Just wanted to add my own "thank you" to you for posting and sharing your fabulous holiday with us all. Feel for you travelling back on Monday. It was pretty awful. We were travelling back from  Cheltenham, having stayed with some friends ,that we met  in Kalkan last year and I thought of you as we drove through fog and rain…..typical  bank holiday really!

No doubt you will already be planning 2016 and back on count down?
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 04, 2015, 05:09:53 PM
Thank you Suzyq, yes its been a long week, but back in the work zone now, thank goodness it's the weekend.  Yes 2016 is in the planning stage  :D :D :D

Jayne x
Post by: keith on September 04, 2015, 09:31:44 PM
I'm sure that we will be planning our next excursion to Kalkan as soon as we are back in England.
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 04, 2015, 10:13:02 PM
I'm already missing my daily dose of Shirl  :(
Thanks so much for your final post - coming home is always horrible but coming back on that lengthy 2 -flight route then landing to rain and to cap it all, you missed your roast dinner!!!
Well its Friday....have a drink and relax!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 05, 2015, 04:56:46 PM
Thanks K4E, yes been a long and hard week, and a couple of drinks last night were very welcome! still in the planning stages now for next year  :D :D :D hope you have had a wonderful holiday, looks fabulous x
Post by: Skunk on September 05, 2015, 10:18:37 PM
 ???Surely K4E you are not back already!??? Far too quick.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal