Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 18, 2015, 12:35:27 PM

Title: Well We Are Here
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 18, 2015, 12:35:27 PM
Hi guys
We arrived late Friday night. Sat at the bar for an Efes or two and it was a bit chilly. Ever since though it has got hotter and hotter. We have had clear blue skies and sapphire blue seas. Gorgeous.

We have not experienced any problems with building works but that is not to say there isn't any. The site of the fire is a building site though.

Currently sat in the new seats at Merkez. Very pleasant. The music choice very chilled.

We have eaten at the new Coriander. The food was excellent. He had 32 covers in while we were there. That says something.

Time for a bit more chilling. Will try and post more as time passes.

Jo
Title: Re: Well We Are Here
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 18, 2015, 01:31:30 PM
Thanks for posting Jo.
Can't wait to try Coriander. Is Lime open uet - think its where Parc/Lemon Garden was last year.
Enjoy your stay and look forward to hearing more
Post by: Mayday1 on May 18, 2015, 02:54:20 PM
We tried Coriander a couple of times in early May....................It is fantastic quality.....really good.

The front guy is Jan from the Baharat ( when it was good )......The chef is also from Baharat ( when it was good )..........I say this because we had fab meals whilst they were at Baharat but it really went downhill when they left................No wonder Coriander is excellent.Lets hope they can keep up the standard when it gets busier.
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 18, 2015, 02:55:55 PM
Hi Jo, glad you arrived safely and look forward to hearing more from you while you're in Kalkan.  :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 18, 2015, 03:19:58 PM
Hi Jo, thanks for posting.  We went to Coriander too at Easter, and it was very good, they took us into the kitchen area to choose our meals, but someone has said that they don't do that now, not sure though.  We are looking forward to going to Merkez, have heard its lovely. Enjoy your holiday and look forward to more posts if you have time.  :D

J
Post by: pattaya on May 18, 2015, 05:22:42 PM
Hi
we went to coriander last week, the food was among the best we had during our stay.
In the winter when we was there we went into the kitchen to choose our food. This has been scaled down to a counter in the restaurant where you can choose some Turkish food ( More a lunchtime option now )
As in the evening most people was ordering from the menu. Going back in June and its on my list ...
 :)
Post by: Mayday1 on May 18, 2015, 05:56:17 PM
Yes the counter in the restaurant with more traditional Turkish food was more for the local Turkish people in the winter months...a very good idea.At the moment,as it is new for this year,they are feeling their way on the ground floor to ensure they provide excellent food and service.

They have two levels above and once sure of giving the same service,will expand the restaurant.............." Slowly Slowly " as Jan said.

I wish them all the very best for the season and it will most definetly be on our list when we return in June.
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 19, 2015, 12:53:11 PM
Back in Merkez for another fruit juice and a chill. We need it today as it is hot hot hot. Clear blue skies again.

Been for a walk to Talk Beach Club this morning to ask how much a sun bed is at the moment. 10 lira is the answer.

Went to Fener for lunch. The food is the same but the atmosphere is not. A real shame. We used to spend hours there from coffee in the morning through lunch to a drink in the afternoon. Have to find somewhere else now.

Tea at Lipsos last nice. Excellent. Would recommend.

Back to chilling now.

Jo
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 19, 2015, 05:41:48 PM
Talk Beach Club...? Is that Indigo renamned again or a new place?
So pleased the weather is good for you - it can be hit and miss in May. What a shame about Fener - reading other threads on here to say it isn't the same down at the beach and harbour - irrespective of the fire damage.
Sounds like you are having a good time anyway....and why wouldnt you? It's Kalkan :)
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 19, 2015, 07:49:20 PM
That is my phone not liking Yali Beach Club. Sorry.
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 19, 2015, 10:49:23 PM
The curse of predictive text.... :)
Post by: Charlie on May 20, 2015, 10:11:11 AM
Spent a few days at Yali Beach club two weeks ago.  Very relaxing, excellent food, all round lovely day out. Looking forward to going back next month.
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 20, 2015, 11:27:41 AM
Such a shame about Fener, but we have to accept that things change and evolve whether we like it or not. I think we will feel the loss too though as we spent a lot of time in Fener.  :(

Have you noticed any change in Merkez, as that was supposed to be concentrating less on food if I remember rightly?  ???

Glad you're having a lovely relaxing time and great to see the holiday reports coming along. It's such a treat to log in and see loads of unread posts. The forum seems much more lively now.  :)

Post by: kalkan4eva on May 20, 2015, 12:39:02 PM
Lizilu, you need to catch-up....anyone would think you'd been away somewhere hot  ;) Merkez has changed with a bar area outside now. I have posted a picture in the gallery
Post by: samson on May 20, 2015, 03:26:26 PM
Merkez not doing food after 6pm  :(
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 20, 2015, 06:51:58 PM
Lizilu, Merkez looks and sounds great with the new makeover and am sure we will be sampling a drink or two in August  ;D ;D ;D

J
Post by: antler on May 20, 2015, 08:13:35 PM
Hope you are having a lovely time Jo - and that the weather is good (we just managed 15C today, here in West Yorks).  Watching out for your updates.....

Antler
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 21, 2015, 09:32:23 AM
Gosh I was behind, the times! Too busy in the hot tub with my sparkling rose methinks  ;)  ;D  I've just seen the Merkez pic you posted, thanks, looks different with the bar area where the raised area was but still looks good though. To be honest, we didn't really eat there much (apart from a strange breakfast once) but love to sit there with an ice cold drink and watch the world go by.  8)

Hope you are having a nice holiday Jo.  :)

Post by: Chris_S on May 21, 2015, 10:39:06 AM
As we're talking Merkez, and food:

Where do people suggest as an alternative (no pun intended)?  I'm thinking of somewhere you can go that's got loads of choice but not the full-blown offerings of most of the other restaurants?  Like Merkez in fact?

If you've been out on a boat all-day, you may need something, but you don't really need the full option or size of meal that you may have the rest of the time.
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 21, 2015, 10:43:37 AM
Chillies maybe? They have a good choice of smaller portioned traditional kebabs etc.
Post by: clara 50 on May 21, 2015, 11:58:34 AM
Great reports, keep them coming cheers up my day. Been fortunate enough to visit Kalkan twelve times since 2008. Hoped to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary there this year but as yet haven't booked. Unfortunately my Mum who just celebrated her 92nd birthday's health seems to be failing slightly so of course am apprehensive about booking. Please everyone keep up the reports so at least for the moment we can enjoy everyone else's fantastic experience of in my opinion the most wonderful place to spend precious time..
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 21, 2015, 12:52:15 PM
Oh clara 50, what a terrible dilemma for you - understand your reluctance to commit to anything too far away.

Chris-S - to be honest I dont think there is anything on a par with what Merkez offered in terms of food. Cheap and cheerful with a big range of choice of an evening. Fener had a similar extensive menu offering with very reasonable prices - and the food was lovely. Not sure with all the changes if that's still happening. Foto's is a good post boat stop for us although for the past few years we've picked up a hot chicken from the deli and stayed home...getting on you see ;)
Post by: Kalkan regular on May 21, 2015, 02:04:29 PM
We had lunch at Fener and the menu and food seemed the same as usual. We both had pasta and it was excellent. I think people feel it's not the same as the Turkish seating has gone and some of the staff have changed.
Post by: mitch on May 21, 2015, 03:02:45 PM
As an alternative to Merkez for food I would definitely recommend Cafe Leon- varied menu with lots of light, snack type options. They also do a range of great homemade cakes. Great chilled out atmosphere and always playing good music in the background.
Post by: Christina on May 21, 2015, 03:14:31 PM
Although not quite as chic, Cafe Orange across from Merkez does a good range of snacks on its pavement terrace. Also, Cafe Leon, which offers cool leafy shade down by the mosque on a hot afternoon, offers snacks, kids meals and home-style Turkish cooking by the lovely Hamide.

I had the penne arabiatta at Fener last week - which was always one of my favourites. I may be mistaken, but the sauce looked and tasted like it had come from a jar, and instead of the usual Parmesan accompaniment, it had some tasteless grated yellow cheese on top. Sadly, service was poor at Fener too - half a dozen young lads all clustered round the bar area - laughing, shooting the breeze with the till girl and checking their mobile phones. I had to keep getting up ask for my drinks and bill. I'd like to see them do well again but they are not really helping themselves.
Post by: Christina on May 21, 2015, 03:20:09 PM
Great minds think alike Mitch! Our posts crossed.
Post by: Mayday1 on May 21, 2015, 03:30:43 PM
Yes Fener is not the same.Suleyman and the other guy have left and left a bunch of youngsters in charge.The food is ok but not great.The only redeeming factor has to be the view,whilst eating and drinking.

My no. 1 choice for lunch has to be café vita,on the kalamar road.Home made burgers and world famous chips,omlettes etc and really good quality.

Only downside is the view is not so good and without a car is a little further to access......superb though
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 21, 2015, 06:30:19 PM
Chris_S, I know you were looking for evening options similar to Merkez but dont forget you dont have to replicate Merkez for lunch as it is still offering its full menu (I understand) up until 6pm.
Yes love Cafe Leon, but mostly for tea and cake for me - which are DIVINE!
We will give Fener a go as its one of our Kalkan favourites...please tell me the ice cream is till there!
Post by: Charlie on May 21, 2015, 08:09:09 PM
Have to say a fantastic burger (with all the trimmings) or a fantastic pizza for lunch (plus complimentary breads and dips) in Aubergine for 19.50 lira is hard to beat.  Such a beautiful place to sit and watch the world go by.  Usually love Fener but Aubergine definitely was our fav for lunch this year. Unbelievable value.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 21, 2015, 08:36:10 PM
Will definitely be giving the burger a try at Aubergine Charlie, thank you for the burger lunch tip! happens to be a definite favourite of mine! 19.50TL seems a real bargain with a beautiful harbour setting.  Only had drinks in Aubergine up until now.

Does anyone know if Vanilla Bistro is open, we heard really good reports about it and wanted to try it at Easter, but sadly it was closed with the curtains drawn across the doors!

J
Post by: baclava on May 21, 2015, 09:08:46 PM
Walked past Vanilla two nights ago and it was open.
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 22, 2015, 09:08:59 AM
Yesterday was market day. I think because of the current exchange rate the stallholders have taken the opportunity to hike their prices. 2 shirts last year were 50tl yesterday we were asked for 120tl. We walked away from that. Eventually paid 70tl.

We have eaten a couple of times in Rose enjoying the football with Hakim last night as were the only ones in until 9.30. I think they had packed up for the night and had to get it all back out again.

Ate at Fez two nights ago and had the best vegetarian meal so far this holiday. The call it Gormet Garden Burger, but they were vegetable patties. Very tasty. A little chilly on the terrace but very pleasant evening.

Still missing Merkez not serving food in the evening but used to stop in for drinks as well, so can still do that.

Weather still great.

Jo
Post by: Chris_S on May 22, 2015, 10:41:23 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Chillies is our lunchtime choice, because it's only a short walk, and Ewan and Mr Happy would kill us if we walked past too often!

Cafe Vita is too much of a walk, especially with one customer carrying loads of Stainless Steel in the leg!

Fener we never had a good meal - lovely view, appalling service and an Avocado salad that could break your teeth as it was so unripe!

Leon and Orange may be looking the best bets so far, but keep the suggestions coming - I suspect that Merkez may have made a more than small blunder with the evening strategy.  Or may be an opportunity for some entrepreneur to fill the gap?

Just trying to stay away from Burgers, Pizzas, etc is the goal - I have to maintain my racing snake physique somehow (I wish) with Kalkan's temptations.

Somehow I suspect this one could run and run... 8)
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 22, 2015, 11:34:51 AM
Just saying, but Ewan at Chillies is actually spelled Guven (with 2 dots over the u that I can't put on due to this Yankee keyboard!!!)

;D :) ;) :D :o
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 22, 2015, 11:45:46 AM
Merkez could still change back to food after 6pm, Chris_S, who knows...? We ate in Han one night last year and that has a more traditional Turkish menu than Merkez but still very reasonable. Merkez was just great if you didnt want to think too hard about what to eat and you knew the service would be fast and courteous and the food nice quality. One year our girls, who were in the late teens/early 20's, ate there almost every night as they preferred it over other places we wanted to go to. C'est la vie :)
Post by: chrissy1 on May 22, 2015, 02:28:22 PM
You beat me to it k4e I ws also going to mention Han, only eaten there couple of times but very pleasant and cheap with excellent friendly service and a very extensive menu, also good for lunch
Post by: pattaya on May 22, 2015, 05:37:48 PM
Vanilla Bistro is closed on Mondays ..When i was there last month they told me they will close on Mondays to re energize for the week.. food is lovely  :)
Post by: Christina on May 23, 2015, 07:59:47 AM
The Han is just in front of my apartment, and I pass through the terrace most days. It has recently had a makeover and Suleyman announced a few days ago that it has now been re-branded as 'La Pazz - Bistro Cafe Bar'.
Post by: Chris_S on May 23, 2015, 11:36:14 AM
Noted Lizilu, I spelt it as he showed us it was spelt!  I suspect he was anglicizing it to be helpful!

As for the ü character (the two dots are umlaut in German or diaeresis in Latin), if you have Windows, you can find them all in CharacterMap (charmap.exe), or alternatively hold the Alt key down and put in 0252 with the numeric keys, then release Alt.

If you're on a tablet, I have no idea, and if you;re on an A**le, I have even less idea - they are supposed to be so-o-o-o-o easy to use, I'm told....
Post by: pw on May 23, 2015, 12:03:53 PM
and while we're on subject, Mr Happy is spelt Ufuk.

pw
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 23, 2015, 01:21:33 PM
If you call him that and it is not his name you may wait a long time to be served!! >:D >:D
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 23, 2015, 06:10:10 PM
 ;D ;D :D ;D
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 24, 2015, 10:10:47 AM
Went to Kalkan Park Beach yesterday for a lazy day. It has been updated since the last time we were there. A new decking area in front of the small bar that is always shut when we are there. The sunbeds and parasols are new. Still not many there. Probably get busier now the families that have arrived have got their bearings.

We were going to go for a walk to Bob's place today but it is very hot. Will leave until later in the week, maybe it will be cooler. Forecast is for a bit of cloud tomorrow.

Our friends return home today so hopefully our alcohol intake will return to normal. Have drunk far too much the last few days.

Did I say we ate at Rosemary the other night and the food was amazing. For the vegetations out there the artichoke in chef's special sauce is delicious. OH days the lamb shish which he said was cooked to perfection.

Sat in Merkez again. Even with the changes we still come back every day. We love it for watching people go in the bag shops opposite.

Jo
Post by: Holidaylover28 on May 24, 2015, 03:55:21 PM
Luvin the trip reports, helps get into the holiday mood. It's a shame there wasn't photographs to go with  ;)
Post by: Babs on May 24, 2015, 03:57:06 PM
Hope you're wrong about the wether forecast Jo we are on a boat trip tomorrow  ???
Post by: Chris_S on May 24, 2015, 05:11:15 PM
Dare I ask how you say Mr Happy's real name without offending anyone?  I have a clue now why he always insists we call him by his alternative!

Nice to know someone else whiles away time watching the comings and goings at the bag shop(s)....
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 25, 2015, 07:11:49 PM
Went in the bag shops today. Came out without anything though.

After a cloudy start, turned out nice again Gromet. Went for a walk on the new road past Kalkan Suites. Very peaceful out there at the moment. Light lunch on Coriander. Melon juice in Merkez. Bag shop investigation then swimming. Lovely day.

Sorry don't do exciting.

Sat in Black and Gold listening to live music. She is warming up now and sounding quite good. Tapas very tasty.

J
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 25, 2015, 08:34:33 PM
Sounds like my kinda day! Thanks for keeping us updated, Jo  :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 25, 2015, 09:54:28 PM
There's nothing nicer than relaxation in Kalkan, just watching the world go by is lovely. Exciting is definitely optional - it just seems to be that what ever we do involves some kind of drama!  ;D

Glad you're having a lovely holiday.  :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 26, 2015, 07:12:34 AM
Bag shopping, swimming, lunching, Black and Gold, sounds exciting to me Jo, glad your having a fab time, and keep the posts coming, enjoying reading them.  Thank you.

J
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 26, 2015, 07:17:12 PM
Walk to Bob's Cafe and Bar today. Lovely breeze on the road there. Not much going on in Kisla but great view back to Kalkan. Sorry no photos, don't know how to post these on my phone.

Spending far too much time in Merkez again and it's not even raining this year. Great place to finish the evening with a drink or two. I would rather here than Moonlight Bar myself. Have decided better value to have a glass of wine each with dinner and share a bottle in Merkez. No rush by the time we get here. Quiet at the moment but it is quite early by Kalkan standards.

Only a couple of days to go and already feeling sad.

J
Post by: Joeyloveskalkan on May 30, 2015, 12:54:46 PM
That's it then the holiday is over and we are back home.  The sun is shining but is not that warm, not by Kalkan standards anyway.  The first lot of washing is done and we are trying to work out what to have for lunch as the fridge is empty.

Just a quick update on our final dinner choices.  Returned to Coriander on Wednesday and had another lovely meal.  There was live music over at the Lime Bar so we stayed in our seat at Coriander because we could hear it from there.  We wish Coriander all the best with there new venture.  Our final meal was at Mussakka in their new position.  Rest assured it is as good as ever with that view to go with it.  We do like Mussakka as they look after you the same whether you just want two main courses and a drink each or whether you go for the full blown three courses and a bottle of wine.  It was a great way to spend our last evening.

The promised rain on our last day did not materialise that goodness.  We had a wander around and a Turkish Tea in Fener.  A little sad that this was only the third time that we had been there when normally we would have been there every day.  Things change however and you have to find different venues.

I am now signing off and will let someone else keep you entertained.

Jo
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 30, 2015, 08:08:58 PM
Thanks for the reports and updates Jo. Just what I needed to keep me going. We really must try coriander this year as it seems to have such consistently good reports. Glad you're home safe.  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 31, 2015, 01:47:41 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post, Jo. I've loved catching up with your holiday and it sounds as though you had a great time. Cant wait to try Coriander and Mussakka is a favourite so good to hear all is well, despite the new location.
Post by: Chris_S on May 31, 2015, 01:08:48 PM
Just for the record, posting photos isn't straightforward here!

See my post "Posting Pictures" in the General Discussion.

I hope it helps...
Post by: IssyG on June 04, 2015, 03:46:05 PM
We haven't been to Kalkan since 2013 (although we started visiting in 2005) where is Coriander?  Keep reading the great reviews and want to try it in July.
Thanks
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 04, 2015, 04:42:46 PM
Just up from Kaya Restaurant roundabout..going towards market more or less opp Swan pub ;)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal