Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: kevtamuk on October 05, 2014, 06:50:10 AM

Title: First timers in Kalkan
Post by: kevtamuk on October 05, 2014, 06:50:10 AM
So we're here, currently lying in our mezzanine bed watching the boats bobbing in the sea and marvelling at the morning light on the hills - in our Duplex suite at The Lykia Pavilion

After a nightmare journey from Gloucestershire on Friday afternoon where we got to experience the joys of slow moving traffic from not only the legendary M25, but also due to a crash- the M4 and due to roadworks the M23 - we eventually arrived at The Premier Inn for a bargain £86 park and stay.  Quick change then meal at Giraffe before an early night with three alarms set for 4.15am.  Needless to say none were needed as I was awake at 2am and couldn't go back to sleep

Breakfast at Frankie and Benny's then off we go on the Monarch flight which pulled back on time but this took off about 20 minutes late.  Unremarkable flight but quickly through the airport which seems bigger than when we last came to Turkey about 15 years ago. The Elixir driver was waitin,g so with 3 or so other parties we were soon on our way to enjoy the delights of Kalkan.  The Gocek tunnel was also a new feature so after an hour and a half we arrived. How wonderful to see all those bars and restaurants I have been reading about over the last 6 months

Greeted at the Lykia Pavilion and ushered to the bar for a very welcome cocktail.  After enjoying the spectacular views we are shown our suite.  Beautifully done with bleached wood floors and shades of cream, which together with the double height windows makes for a light and bright space.  Take lots of photos and video before we make too much of a mess

Relax by our swimming pool with an ice cold Efes before going out for the evening.  What a treat to wander those little lanes so pretty with flowers and magical steps leading to more delights.  Armed with a map we had prepared we soon found The Botanik Garden and enjoyed our cocktails in that twinkling oasis whilst listening to a gorgeous swing soundtrack. What a perfect start to the holiday.

Supper was a tray meal for two on the top terrace at The Olive Garden washed down with an Efe and glass of red wine.  What a feast, fish soup and olive bread to start, kebabs, meatballs, stuffed vegetables, rice, beans in a sauce and various other delights followed by dough balls with chocolate sauce, amazing ice cream and a sponge syrup cake. To finish we were presented with a marzipan liquor, coffee and Turkish delight which to my dismay I just couldn't eat as I was too full.  In fact the early start and amount of food meant I was desperate to get back.  So a stroll home and we were back by our pool.

We had been warned that the restaurant was being used for a wedding reception that night and had seen the stunning bride and groom when we left earlier.  So we were able to enjoy the likes of Queen and Bruce Springsteen from our own private party on our poolside.  However things soon deteriorated and we had to suffer rap and dance songs which the wedding guests seem to appreciate far more than we did judging from the way they were singing along!  Well although I was feeling netted out now it was nearly midnight so time for bed.  Thankfully the earplugs worked and we had a peaceful night

So plans for today are to try and get Glastonbury festival tickets at 11 am not holding out much hope as the WiFi isn't that fast but hopefully our daughters back home might strike lucky.  Then meeting the couple we are renting a villa from next May - they are going to show it to us.  Welcome meeting back here at 1.30pm and then some relaxation and exploring I suspect

Sorry to bore you with my ramblings but we have a webpage with most of our holidays over the last 15 years so these notes will be the basis for this years together with copious amounts of photos and video clips www.kevinstringer.co.uk

Wish me luck in the ticket sale and I'll be back with an update later   :P
Title: Re: First timers in Kalkan
Post by: Bez on October 05, 2014, 09:35:56 AM
Hey fellow Kalkanian! (Is that the name for us?)

Glad you got here ok and have settled in!  We are here at the moment too!

Can't wait to read more!

Kalamaki for us tonight
Post by: Chris_S on October 05, 2014, 11:41:56 AM
Not to be nit-picking, but more a FYI:

Aircraft departure time is push-back; aircraft arrival time is wheels on the ground.

So Monarch actually departed on time!

Confusing, but that's how it is!
Post by: Haybo on October 05, 2014, 01:31:03 PM
I think the term is Kalkanite!
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 05, 2014, 01:36:58 PM
lovely report kevtamuk....the Pavillions do look beautiful and your views from there must be simply stunning. Glad all is ok well so far, look forward to reading more.
Chris_S you really need to get out a bit more :-* :-*
Post by: kevtamuk on October 06, 2014, 08:38:15 AM
So breakfast was served at the restaurant with wonderful views of the the sun glinting on the sea.  A lovely selection of fresh fruit, yoghurt, honey, cheeses, olives and lovely breads that we could toast our self over a small container of hot coals.  We also chose poached eggs which were perfectly cooked.  We returned to our room in readiness for the Glastonbury ticket sale which started at 11 am.  Thankfully the WiFi appeared to be running faster but despite refreshing the page numerous times not a sniff of the booking form.  Thankfully we got word from home that one of our daughter's friends had got through.  A huge sigh of relief as they sold out in record time just 25 minutes.  It was time to head off to meet Alex and Terry to be shown the villa we have rented for next May.  We met outside Sandals and drove up to view their wonderful villa.  They gave us lots of information and hints on nearby bars and restaurants and we felt happy we'd made a good choice. They kindly dropped us back at Lykia and we had a chicken Caesar salad and Efes before meeting the Elixir rep who told us about the boat trip that is included in the holiday. This is on Thursday and sounds like fun.  So after getting information as to what else is on offer and local attractions we bid our farewells and spend a relaxing afternoon by our pool

The plan was to go out to a bar for sunset and we were ready in plenty of time but in spite of our trusty map we realised that the Fountain bar wasn't where we thought.  Thankfully the phone and google maps got us on the right road but still no sign.  Decided to head down to the harbour instead when we spotted the sign. Up the stairs to the roof terrace where we enjoyed watching the sun setting behind the hills whilst I had a raspberry mojito and Kev a Lynchburg lemonade.  Lovely cocktails and a friendly waiter with a great view.  A couple of Efes in Giironda courtyard bar which again was very pretty and then we had to head to Sade restaurant for our 7.30 reservation.  Luckily we'd booked as all tables were reserved. I was in a quandary we'd read that the steaks here are great but I had my head turned by the lamb shank and decided on that.  Kev went for fillet steak with mushroom and brandy sauce.  After a delicious warm roll with balsamic and oil and a tapenade the mains came out and we weren't disappointed.  My lamb was so tender with  lovely sauce, creamy mash and al dente vegetables.  Kev's steak was perfectly cooked with crispy chips and veg.  We were very happy but unfortunately too full for me to try the fried ice cream which I saw on the blackboard.  Total bill 150 tl including tip.

As we were near the Botanik  bar we decided to head there for a nightcap. Banana dacquiri for me and long island iced tea were enjoyed whilst listening to the music which was a mix of soul, reggae etc., we both agreed they seem to have the music choices well thought out.  A rum and coke to end the night and then a slow walk back.

We both agree that Kalkan is fabulous but there are so many gorgeous bars and restaurants its tough choosing which ones to go to. Thanks to this forum we have a shortlist though and are looking forward to sampling more over the coming nights.

After a good nights sleep and great breakfast, a morning spent by the pool is the plan before heading in for lunch later.   We have booked the hotel restaurant for tonight as the reviews are very good so we shall see if it lives up to expectations.

Well the lounger is calling and I need to start my second book of the holiday. Its a hard way to spend a Monday morning but I'm up for the challenge.

Post by: kalkan4eva on October 06, 2014, 10:16:47 AM
Thanks for posting kevtamuk. Lovely to read a report from first timers and hearing about your discoveries along the way. Please keep these lovely reports coming :)
Post by: Chris_S on October 06, 2014, 10:51:35 AM
Kalkan4eva:  It's because I get out that I find out these things!
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 06, 2014, 05:21:28 PM
 ;D ;D
Post by: kevtamuk on October 07, 2014, 06:53:20 AM
After a relaxing morning by the pool, we head up the road to explore some more of the delights of Kalkan.   I'm not that much of a fan of shopping, I think my youngest daughter deserves that award, however I did spot some lovely cushion covers that we both agreed would look good on our new settee. We were told they were 17.50 TL each which seemed reasonable, but decided to wait and see what else was on offer before buying them

It was lovely wandering around the streets at lunch time as it was so much quieter and we enjoyed browsing shop windows and looking at restaurant menus.   But we were soon in need of sustenance so decided on a table overlooking the harbour at Doy Doys.  A refreshing glass of cherry juice and two Efes was accompanied by prawn sandwiches with chips and salad. Very tasty and such a lovely setting watching the boats bobbing on the water.  After paying we were each given a little bracelet which was a nice touch.

Had a walk back via a loop of the harbour and took some photos and video before heading back for some more r and r.

We'd both thought Feners at the lighthouse looked like a good spot for a drink so early evening we enjoyed a couple of pink margaritas there before going to Girondas to book a table for tomorrow evening as they were advertising live music on a Tuesday.   On the way back to Lykia we popped into the cushion cover place and got four for 60 TL so very happy with that

Back at Lykia Pavilion we were shown to our table and enjoyed a complimentary starter of roasted peppers with a beetroot puree and some different cheeses which was very tasty and beautifully presented.  For my main course I chose Balaban kebab - Turkish meatballs on a spiced flat bread with yoghurt and chips.  It might sound pretty basic but it was delicious and so well presented, also not too filling.  Kev went for sea bass which again he loved, very tasty with great accompaniments and served on the biggest plate we've ever seen.  We'd seen pictures of the pear dessert wrapped in candy floss so I had that for pudding and Kev had baklava and goats milk ice cream. My pear wasn't exactly the same as expected visually but was very tasty.  Stuffed with nuts and poached in a sauce with bits of candy floss type sugar topping the accompanying fruit, also with some creamy goat's milk ice cream.  Kev's baklava was perfect, lovely and moist and tasty as it should be and best of all he let me take half of it back to the room for later. We decided this was the best meal so far and for two courses, three glasses of wine a one beer it came to 200 TL including tip which we thought great value for the quality of food and service.  Our one quibble was it was perhaps a bit too light in the restaurant, but that could be just us.

After taking the baklava back to the room, we were going to walk further up the road to the beach club to see if there was anywhere for a drink.  All was very quiet and we couldn't find anything, so after a fruitless walk up a track which we wrongly assumed would take us out to one of the top roads, we turned round and walked back for a nightcap by our pool.  Note to self don't assume the tracks lead anywhere other than someone's house and that potentially they will have a loud barking dog to add to your shame
Post by: Derbyshire on October 07, 2014, 07:11:08 AM
Hi kevtamuk love the reports you must go to fishterrace restaurant ! Have live music on Tuesday Thursday and Sunday enjoy !
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 07, 2014, 10:02:56 AM
ha ha...I know where you walked :) When BH and I are on our mega walks we've been along this track and encountered the very loud and scary dogs. It does look as though it leads somewhere...so its an easy mistake to make. Often when we are out walking in this area we start to walk along this path then realise where we are and turn round pretty sharpish. The dogs are behind a fence but they do bark and jump at the fence very aggressively - I was petrified.
Sounds like you are having a great holiday - cant believe Doy Doy still hand out bracelets - its years since we've been there. No reason why other than you have your favourites and they are consistently good and there's SOOHH many to chose from.
Look forward to hearing more about your stay
Post by: Bob & Jayne on October 07, 2014, 03:21:13 PM
Yes thank you so much for posting Kevtamuk, the Lykia Pavilion sounds wonderful. It is great that so many people are sharing their holidays, even now in October, long may it continue  :D :D :D

I am calling it now my EK 2.30pm fix (when I get home from work each day) the first thing I do after making a coffee is to log onto EK!

J
Post by: kevtamuk on October 08, 2014, 09:01:21 AM
Thanks for the lovely comments. Derbyshire thanks for the tip about the Fish Terrace that was on our list to try so we have booked for Thursday to coincide with the live music.

Kalkan4eva glad we're not the only ones to head up there thinking it lead somewhere

Anyway you know what they say about best laid plans - well rather than take a dolmus or taxi to Pataras beach we opted to spend the morning at the Yali beach club and then relax by our pool.  After all we had paid good money for the privilege of having such a great room and pool it seems silly not to make the most of it.  Also as we are returning in May we can explore further afield then.

So after breakfast we take a short walk up the road where we notice the incredibly steep steps leading down  to a rocky cove with the bluest water.  On the way back we actually see 4 people seemingly take their life in their hands and go down them.  We did have a chuckle at the thought of them getting to the bottom only to find there were lots of people already down their and if that had been the case how disappointed they would be having made such an effort

Anyway I digress, the Yali beach club has a separate platform for Lykia Pavilion guests and we were the only ones on it so it was a nice way to spend a few hours.  Not sure whether it is because it is the end of the season but we did think all the sunbeds, mattresses etc were looking decidedly shabby and worn, not at all what we expected.

We had a swim in the clear blue waters and enjoyed watching people water skiing and being towed by the power boats on inflatable chairs.  Lunch time we ate at the little restaurant, we split buffalo wings and coleslaw and a spinach, chicken mozzarella wrap with chips and salad which was pretty good - all washed down by an obligatory Efes.

So back to our pool for an afternoon of lazing and reading and watching the boats going to and fro.

Having researched cocktail bars we decide to try and find Deniz for tonights sundowner.  Unfortunately we head off up the hill armed with our google map and a tentative star where we believe we will find this fine drinking establishment.  In hindsight taking a charged phone as back up would have been a good idea, but as we wandered higher and higher passing houses with chickens outside and looking less and less likely that we were in the right area we reach the main road in.  By now we are hot and sweaty and have no idea where to go so there is no choice but to head downhill.  The one thing I would say though is we had the most stunning views of Kalkan from up there.   Do you see a theme here with us exploring and getting nowhere?   We walk a lot back home but I have to say that thanks to ordanance survey maps we tend not to get lost too often

Anyway into town we head and have a drink on the roof terrace at Escudo before nipping over to Gironda for our dinner reservation.   Such great views from all these roof terraces something I could never grow tired of.  Choices tonight are fillet steak for both of us with baked potato and veg.  Kev has peppercorn sauce and I choose bearnaise.  Very tasty and cooked medium rare to rare just as requested.  The music starts around 8.15. A guitarist and a lady who create a lovely ambience whilst we enjoy watching the moon rise from behind the hills, marvel at the perfect temperature and tuck into our meal.  Was hoping to have pudding but feeling too full I opt for a Caribbean coffee instead.  Very tasty way to end the meal.  So finally the bill including two glasses of wine, coffee and rum and coke 180 TL including tip. We did enjoy the food but Kev thinks his steak at Sade was better

Down the lane to The Fountain bar where it is beautifully lit and we enjoy a relaxed drink there _ definitely the best cocktails so far and such a lovely setting I can see us coming back a number of times.

A stroll along the front before deciding to sit in those elegant thrones at Jimmy's cocktail bar.   Lovely to look at all the yachts moored up but the choice of musii let it down for us. Not as keen on that waterfront area with the bright lights and music in the evening as the quieter bars elsewhere in Kalkan, but its good that there is so much choice and something for everyone

A slow stroll back and an Efes by the pool before bed. 

Plans for today are laze by the pool, try and decide where to eat tonight and try and find Deniz without getting lost.  To this end the phone is charging and google maps are being scrutinised
Post by: joycie on October 08, 2014, 09:42:56 AM
What a lovely report I was walking with you. When we first came to Kalkan we had the top room at Yali hotel as it was then and we loved it. We spent a lot of time at Caretta Caretta in those days and loved it. The views are to die for and to sit by your own pool at night with drink in hand sounds wonderful. I envy you.
Post by: Kalkan regular on October 08, 2014, 10:33:14 AM
Mussaka is for us the best restaurant in Kalkan. Its at the far end of the harbour road. They have never disappointed us.
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 08, 2014, 01:24:41 PM
kevtamuk, I know what you mean about the harbour front being noisy...all the bars and restaurants try to compete with each other  for business and think if their music is loud it will attract people in. I like Jimmys/Yakamoz, though as its a great people watching spot and the throne chairs make me feel like the Queen :)
I'm worried about you using google maps - I'm concerned you might have a big phone bill when you get home :o might be an idea to ask the guys in Pavillions to direct you to where you want to go or look at the location codes against businesses and maps on KTLN (www.turkishlocalnews.com)
There's nothing wrong with staying at your lovely accommodation all day - you make up your own rules  ;D
Look forward to hearintg more about your stay
Post by: kevtamuk on October 09, 2014, 06:06:32 AM
So after a chilled out morning we eat at Chillies for lunch.  Love the blown up bread _ what's that called?  Both have a chicken bide and Efes which was tasty.  Have a wander down to the harbour and decide to get Turkish delight and baklava for gifts now so that we don't have to think about it later

Also pop into the cushion cover shop and purchase two bottles of "designer" perfume for 10 tl each

Thanks to you Kalkanregular we book Mussakka for tonight , we had liked the look of their menu and your recommendation prompted us to book.   More on that later

So a very lazy afternoon back at the pool before we decide to have another shot at finding Denis cocktail bar.   Kalkan4eva don't worry about the phone bill Vodafone are getting the princely sum of £3 per day from me for roaming and I have a full month of allowance so no nasty shocks when we get back.   Anyway we are successful in our quest and enjoy a lovely cocktail on the terrace.  We have a nice chat with the owner who tells us that he only opened last season and that business is good.  We were amazed at the hours the turks work.  He says he helps out in his parents supermarket and does the bar and other things too.  Just like our tireless servers at LP who seem to be there from early morning to last thing at night

After a relaxing time listening to the music we head down to the town have a drink in the Fountain bar before our meal in Mussakka.  Its quite busy when we get there and we enjoy watching the lady lovingly making bread on the hot plate.

I decide on scampi, mushroom champagne risotto and Kev has parmesan chicken in a mushroom sauce.   What can I say but fantastic.  The flavours, seasoning were spot on - we both rated this our best meal so far.   Thanks for the recommendation Kalkanregular definitely one we will re-visit next year.

Someone there is celebrating a birthday and there is much excitement when the birthday music starts and he is presented with a sparking cake and lots of firework sparklers are lit - what fun

A drink in Botanik is our next stop and I try a dark Efes which I really enjoy, before a nightcap in the quirky El Cafe del Mar - at least I think that's what it is called.  Lots of curiosities and a wide selection of coffees and drinks.   A lovely end to the evening before a slow walk home via a lamp shop where we enquire about the costs for a potential purchase before we leave

Today is our organised boat trip which we are looking forward to, only hope that there is no rain as the waiter in Chillies said to expect some today

Post by: Kalkan regular on October 09, 2014, 06:52:12 AM
Next time you are in mussaka try their steak with plum sauce, glad you liked it.
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 09, 2014, 04:24:59 PM
...or Summer Steak. My personal favourite :)
Lovely report kevtamuk...and have to say relieved about your phone bill. Our daughter managed to rack up £600 in phone charges back in 2009. I've never forgotten it...I thought I was seeing things when the bill arrived for £400 (she was at Uni then so we paid her phone) Called O2 and they agreed to waiver the excessive charges on that bill and the bill they were currently preparing for a further £200!!!! She just went on Facebook a couple of times apparently :o :o
Seems like you are finding your way around Kalkan now...Hope you had a great boat trip today :)
Post by: kevtamuk on October 10, 2014, 09:46:51 AM
After breakfast we join another 8 guests on the Elixir minibus to Kas.  It doesn't take too long and it is a nice drive along the coast and past Kaputus beach

Our captain and his mate are awaiting our arrival and we are welcomed on board and told to make ourselves comfortable. We join two other couples at the front of the boat on the lounger mattresses whilst the others seek shade at the back.  Before we know it we are sailing out of Kas new marina and out to sea. We soon get talking to the other couples and enjoy swapping tales of holidays, jobs and family. Before too long we are at our first stop and the anchor is dropped and we are told we have 42 minutes here.  The captain is a bit of a joker with his very accurate timings during the cruise.  Some of the men dive or jump from the deck into the clear blue water.  Being a bit of a wuss when it comes to swimming out of my depth, I give this a miss on this occasion.  On we sail up the coastline to a little rocky cove where the captain expertly reverses in and anchors up.  He tells us that we are welcome to join him climb up the cliff and bring our cameras.  Before any of us grasp what he is saying as the cliff is pretty steep and the rock looks very sharp, he is out of the boat and climbing up the cliff face like a sure footed mountain goat.  We all just stare in amazement as he stands high above us taking photos on his phone. Needless to say no one follows him but most get out and have a swim - as do I.   The water is glorious clear and not too cold and sets us all up for a relax before lunch is served.  We all sit on the covered back deck and enjoy stuffed courgettes, tomatoes and aubergines, spicy green beans and tomato, a chicken dish, bread and a mixed salad.  This was very tasty and we paid for a cold beer to wash it down.

Before too long we were off and had another couple of stops along the coast.  There were snorkels on board but no one saw any fish on any of the stops which was a disappointment.  I would loved to have seen a turtle at some point on this holiday but unfortunately it doesn't look likely

Tea and coffee was served around 4pm with the most tasteless selection of biscuits I have ever tried.  Shame as I was hoping for some tasty baklava

At 5pm the ever punctual captain deposited us at the harbour and after settling our bill for the beers and giving him a tip we were on our way back to Kalkan in the mini bus.  Feeling very relaxed and thankfully not burned we enjoy the drive home

We'd booked a table for 8pm at the Fish Terrace but wanted to negotiate on a light we had seen in one of the shops. So after getting ready we head to the shop and asked again for his best price - he maintained that the normal price was 175 TL but end of season 150.  We said we'd have a think a and be back after dinner.  We asked the price at another shop and were told 165 so we reasoned that we'd be happy to pay 150 or less. 

Stop for a happy hour 20% off cocktail at Kleos bar which was very good, an american pie Martini for Kev and Bahama mama for me - lovely peaceful spot over the harbour

At the Fish Terrace whilst not getting a tables right on the edge we still had a good spot and the music was just starting. It was the same couple who had played at Gironda.  He plays the guitar and her voice is beautiful and soulful - what a perfect setting for a meal

Complimentary starter of warm rolls, fresh salty anchovies and tapenade. 
We cannot decide which fish dish to go for, so split a grouper kebab with mild curry sauce and the sea bass baked with lemon on a potato, green bean and warm tomato salad.  Both were delicious but we agreed that the grouper in the mild curry sauce was our favourite of the two dishes.  We decide on a pudding for a change - creme caramel for me and chocolate orange jaffa cake for Kev. Both were average and we probably shouldn't have bothered.  Meal plus two glasses of wine and an amaretto sour and tip came to 200 TL

Head off to the lamp shop to do a deal.  Eventually settle on 140 TL and shake on it.   It is carefully dismantled and packed away to hopefully ensure we get it home in one piece where it should look fabulous in our conservatory - thankfully we know an electrician who should be able to sort it.

Feeling happy with our purchase we feel a celebratory drink is in order so up to The Fountain bar.   Whilst on the cruise this afternoon we'd told our shipmates about this bar and recommended they try it.  Well lo and behold no sooner had we ordered than first one couple and then the other turned up. 

We sat around the table and all enjoyed a fun filled evening with much laughter and many cocktails.  Unbelievably we realised we were the last last people left and it was actually 2 am.  Just goes to show time flies when you're having fun with good company.  So we settled our tab which unsurprisingly was more than our lamp
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 10, 2014, 10:43:38 AM
Really enjoyed this report, kevtamuk. I love it when you get chatting in a bar then suddenly you realise 4 hours have passed...! Perhaps next year you will try a boat trip out of Kalkan - so many to choose from and I dont believe I've ever been served tasteless biscuits at the tea stop :P plus the Mud Bath is a must :)
Look forward to hearing more about your stay
Post by: Chris_S on October 10, 2014, 10:48:15 AM
Are we alone in being a bit perplexed about the Fish Terrace putting the large groups on tables near the edge?

These tables for 6 or 8 (or more) are so engrossed in each other so they don't appreciate the view, while the couples who may (romantically??) appreciate the vista of Kalkan Bay are shuffled away into the depths of the roof?

Or maybe we're just curmudgeonly!
Post by: kevtamuk on October 12, 2014, 03:02:31 PM
So here I am back in England - washing in the machine and heating on and I am determined to finish the report so here goes.

Well the last thing we all say after the quiet walk back to LP was must bring in the lounger cushions etc., but as soon as the door was closed we completely forgot our good intentions and lo and behold in the night I awake to hear the sound of the rain lashing down and remember what we'd all said.  Hey ho they soon dried out.

So our last morning and after a relatively bright start it soon clouds over and the rest of the day proves cloudy with intermittant showers and thundery spells.  Definitely not how we envisaged spending our last day, but thankfully the overhang on the roof means we can sit outside on the loungers and relax in the still warm air.

Lunch time comes and we decide we can't be bothered to go to town especially as it still looks like there may be more rain, so down to the restaurant where we share a platter of onion rings, chicken fillets, borek, chips and other tasty morsels accompanied by chilli sauce, salsa and bizarrely tartare sauce even though there was nothing fishy on the plate.

Back to the room and then out later for our last supper!  Bought some "designer" perfume for our daughters and then went to the Kleo bar.  How depressing as the Seaport Restaurant was packing away all the furniture and we assume this is for the end of the season, so grateful that this was our last day not the first as it must be weird to go and see some of the restaurants shut up.  Mind you there are such a great number to chose from that wouldn't be an issue but it still seems sad to see some shut for the winter. 

A last drink in Botanik Garden as we reflect on what a wonderful time we've had and how much our daughters and my mother in law will enjoy it next May. 

As we walk towards Kalamaki we notice that it's roof terrace is shut and the diners are eating inside, oh dear this isn't how we envisaged eating on our last night but it appears quite a few of the restaurants haven't opened on their roof terraces.  So in we go - a stark contrast to many of the restaurants as it is very modern and indeed the loos are a sight to behold with their glass fish tanks, amazing water sink feature and plastic wrapped loo seat - it took me a few minutes to work out how to get the water to flow down the channels into the sink and I tried waving my arms, looked for a foot pedal and then saw a small silver knob on the wall that needed pulling or twisting to start the water.  What a faff - definitely more style over substance but a definite talking point.

We get chatting to a couple on another table who arrived on Monday - they are loving Kalkan too and are enjoying sampling all the various restaurant menus.  They tell us that this is their favourite so far.

So back to our choices, we split a swordfish kebab and a duck dish cooked with sour cherries, bilberries and various other fruits.  They were both very tasty and very well cooked - served on amazing big white plates.  Another lovely meal which we enjoyed, the only negative was my glass of red wine was nearly steaming it was so warm - I asked for some ice in it to cool it down.  In hindsight I should have asked for a different drink as later I felt decidingly dodgy.

Back for our last farewell to the Fountain Bar, where before too long we are joined by Ivor, Caroline, Sharon and Steve from the hotel and the boat trip.  Another enjoyable evening, much talk and laughter as we recount on our fun holiday in Kalkan.  We all agree that we will be coming back and I tell them that from everything I have read everyone says that and does come back.

So back at 1 am where a restless night ensues due to something which I put down to the red wine as I didn't actually drink much this evening.  Up at 8 am to pack up and have breakfast before heading off to Dalaman airport at 10 am

Uneventful journey and we check in without hitch.  Unlucky Thomas Cook customers in the next queue are told they have a 6 hour delay.  Poor people really feel for them - nothing worse than being stuck at an airport for any length of time - just not enough to do to pass the time

Have a subway for lunch and buy some tequilla in duty free before sitting at the gate, reading and passing the time.  Get's a bit worrying when our plane doesn't turn up but thankfully it isn't too late and we actually take off about 30 minutes later than the planned time.

In spite of finishing my 5th book of the holiday I soon get bored on the flight - really wish any flight longer than 3 hours had to play movies.  I had downloaded the Monarch app but it didn't work.

So back in England 14 degrees and a bit rainy - we actually saw a rainbow before we landed.  Straight through passport control and one case straight out - bit of a worry as the other is no where in sight but as there are still lots of people waiting don't panic and then out it comes.  Pick up the car from the valet parking and in just over 2 hours we are home and pick up the indian that our daughter had pre-ordered.

So here we are the day after our holiday ended.  Our daughters are keen to know did we have fun, will they love it.  It was a double yes - we loved Kalkan, loved the character of the streets, restaurants and bars, loved that there weren't lots of naff shops, yes there are loads of handbag shops and jewellers but they are all nicely done as I had no interest in either I didn't spend any time seeing what was on offer.  I was surprised maybe there weren't more shops selling spices and things like that, but I wanted to go to the market which was on the boat trip day to get some things like that.  Next year we will definitely do that and see what there is.

The one thing that did surprise us was that we didn't eat the amount we thought we would - apart from the Turkish platter on the first night which was 3 courses, we struggled with two courses and mostly stuck to just one.  Mind you I'd rather leave a restaurant feeling comfortably full rather than feeling absolutely stuffed.

As for the boat trip whilst we enjoyed it - we can't work out why they don't choose a company that sail out of Kalkan, and we have decided we will hire a private boat or something like that for next year with the family.

We see what everyone means when they say the roads are very steep and is it really suitable for a 90 year old.  However as the villa is in the Kalamar area of Kalkan we will be getting taxis backwards and forwards and we have worked out that if you get dropped at the taxi rank you can walk relatively easily along the top lane and back down the other and then along the marina to pick up a taxi home from the bottom.  If we avoid the steps between the roads and make sure my m-i=l always has hold of someones arm she should cope really well.  She is very fit and walks the mile from her house up a hill to our local dentist surgery, so as long as she keeps well over the next 6 months we hope she will love her first Turkish holiday.

We know for a fact everyone will love the vast choice of restaurants, with their wonderful menus, the stunning views of the mountains and the sea and the sun setting and the moon rising over the hills.

So that's the end - we had a blast and will be back in May for more Kalkan magic.

Post by: Derbyshire on October 12, 2014, 03:23:29 PM
Hi thank you for all your lovely reports we are back in June (19th time)
Post by: Chris_S on October 13, 2014, 10:48:57 AM
If the Monarch flight didn't have the new seats (with the Tablet holder in the back) then it hasn't been upgraded yet and the Monarch App wouldn't work.  Probably will next year when they should have finished upgrading the interiors.

Thomas Cook?  TC= Total C... - you get the idea!
Post by: kevtamuk on October 13, 2014, 12:54:32 PM
It was a new plane with the new seats and the tablet holder.

On the way we had an older plane and they mentioned the app but we couldn't connect to it and on the way home we had a newer plane and they didn't even mention the app.

Hey ho - just one of those things I guess.  I will download a film next time we fly with Monarch in case the app isn't working
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 13, 2014, 02:45:03 PM
kevtamuk, thanks so much for posting on your first visit to Kalkan - its been an absolute pleasure to read your blog. I bet you are looking forward to coming back next year - armed with your wayfinding knowledge and extensive bar/shop research I'm sure you will have an equally enjoyable stay.
Post by: Lizilu20 on October 14, 2014, 03:15:29 PM
Thanks so much for your entertaining reports. It might have been your first time in Kalkan but Toy seem to have packed plenty in and are armed with lots of ideas for your next holiday in May. You'll have to start your countdown now!  :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on October 14, 2014, 05:46:50 PM
Yes thanks Kevtamuk, has been really lovely reading your reports.  Am very impressed that despite packing so much in, you also managed to read 5 books! Every year it is my plan to read at least 2, and I usually only just about get through 1! Get the countdown App on your phone, it certainly keeps us going through the winter watching the days count down  :D

J
Post by: antler on October 14, 2014, 08:05:36 PM
Yes, kevtamuk, I enjoyed reading your reports, too. I know what you mean when things close around you -a very different kind of holiday feeling.

Hope you are up for reporting back again next May!

All the best!
Post by: kevtamuk on October 14, 2014, 10:09:06 PM
Thanks for all your kind comments . Without doubt this wonderful forum and peoples trip reports definitely meant we had a lot of great information before our trip which enhanced our holiday

Having experienced it all first hand we have no doubt that next May's holiday will be just as great, if not more so, as we will have the pleasure of showing four new first timers the delights of Kalkan

Post by: antler on October 15, 2014, 09:05:59 PM
Me thinks, 4 New Timers are going to be very, very lucky indeed!!  Spoilt to death, may be?!

Cheers
Post by: kevtamuk on May 12, 2015, 10:28:52 PM
Just to update. We're heading back with the 4 newcomers on Saturday.  Found an amazing villa and looking forward to revisiting many of our favourites from last time,including The Fountain bar, Botanik, Gironda and possibly Sade or The Fish Terrace.

Also excited to try some of the other wonderful restaurants.  Tentative plans are a Turkish bath on the Sunday(, if they are open), we've booked a private boat trip out of the harbour, a visit to the market and possibly a visit to Saklikent gorge and a mud bath.  Other than that we'll mostly be chilling round the pool with cold Efes, enjoying walking round the wonderful streets, showing the family why we fell in love with Kalkan

No blog this time but hopefully we'll do a short report on our website not too long after our return
Post by: Babs on May 13, 2015, 08:04:08 AM
Atlantis is open for Turkish baths.....we'll be heading up there on our first morning next week!
Post by: kevtamuk on May 13, 2015, 01:00:37 PM
Thanks we'll have a look at that
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal