Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Bob & Jayne on August 03, 2014, 07:02:00 AM

Title: Better Late Than Never by Bob & Jayne
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 03, 2014, 07:02:00 AM
Firstly, I apologise in advance that it has taken me most of the week to get round to writing our holiday blog, but here goes!

We took off from Gatwick last Monday or should I say the early hours of Tuesday due to the delays after the storm in the morning. In tow we had what we have called "our contraption" which was actually 2 sun chairs, a slow cooker and a rice cooker! all expertly wrapped with industrial cling film! Bob was chuffed to bits with his wrapping, my daughter and myself and others were dubious whether it would make it, but hey ho it did and I am sat on one of the chairs as I type this on our balcony looking out towards Mouse Island!We finally arrived at 8am, and were stopped at Dalaman Airport, contraption was scanned and all was fine, and we were on our merry way to Fethiye where we stayed at the Yacht Boutique Hotel for a couple of days, fabulous hotel, we visited Calis Beach on the water taxi and ate at a lovely restaurant called Mozaic Bache which had been recommended to us.  Food superb as well as the setting. 

We left on Wednesday tea time for our last leg of our journey to Kalkan. We arrived around 6pm, yes to that view, the taxi driver stopped so we could take photos, and we felt so happy to be here again! We settled ourselves in, opened a bottle of wine and watched the sunset, and then went off to town, familiar faces we saw within 10 minutes, and Kalkan seemed buzzing.  We ate at Hunkars, and as always, they delivered! Same friendly faces, oh how it felt good to be back.

Thursday was spent doing odd jobs and shopping, and then lazing round the pool, and Bob of course, loving to cook, wanted to try out the new slow cooker! so lamb it was! and I have to say it was delicious!

Friday - Pina X here we come! we so love the boat trips, and they are a big part of our holiday, but when we woke up the wind was blowing! I thought lovely a nice breeze, not really thinking about our trip! but wooooooo, it was a bit choppy to say the least! Christina was booked to go as well, so was lovely to spend the day with her too.  We went over to Fernez Bay where we stayed for most of the day, and once there it was calmer, and we swam and chilled, it was a lovely day, and as always the food on Pina X was amazing! We then went back across to Frank Bay around 4pm and the sea had definitely calmed down. We are booked again next Friday, so hopefully it won't be so windy!

Saturday - We wandered down to the beach, gorgeous day, a little wind, but very hot! Spent a few hours there, usual thing, Sweetcorn Boy as we call him was there, even taller this year, he is 18 now he was telling us.  The beach looked lovely, really clean, they come round collecting the rubbish, the sunbeds are 10TL this year for 2 with an umbrella, and you get cushions for them now! so comfy, we worked it out around £2.80!!! so cheap.  Around 4pm we slogged back up the hill! trying to do some exercise, but goodness me it was a slog yesterday afternoon in the heat. Back at the apartment, Bob prepares his 2nd slow cooker delight, to leave cooking while we go out for the evening.  Chicken Guvac, recipe that Kadir from Kaya gave him yesterday together with basil for it from their restaurant! We quickly got ready and back down the hill we went to Fener for the EK meet up, and am so glad we did because we met Haybo and her family, Chris the Spark and Bernie and Christina, we had a lovely evening, and was so nice to meet everyone. We left around 10pm, with me refusing to walk that hill again, so a Taxi it was!!! We arrived home to the smell of our lovely Chicken Guvac, which we devoured in no time at all!!!

Sunday - as I am writing this, I am people watching too, people walking down to the beach already! not even 9am yet! We are visiting friends today for lunch, and then plan on an afternoon round the pool. 

Hope I haven't bored you all with my blog! but the first time I have really done a proper one! so hopefully now I have started, I will continue! We are off to stay at the Dream Hotel tomorrow, so will be posting from there. 

J&B

Title: Re: Better Late Than Never by Bob & Jayne
Post by: Irene on August 03, 2014, 08:06:42 AM
Lovely report, really enjoyed reading it Jayne - thanks for posting and keep it coming!
Enjoy Sunday in Kalkan! :)
Post by: Babs on August 03, 2014, 08:58:00 AM
Thanks Jayne......I love reading about other people's holidays.....hope you carry on having a lovely relaxed time.
I'm very excited to hear that there are cushions on the sun beds on the beach now....all of them? All the time? I love the beach and the only reason we don't spend more time there is the beds are so uncomfortable.....a cushion would transform my holiday!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 03, 2014, 10:09:33 AM
Yay! About time too  ;)

What a fab time you are having, sounds idyllic Jayne. I want that guvec recipe please!
This time next week...

Thanks for reporting back and see you soon guys  8)
Post by: Rachey on August 03, 2014, 12:35:58 PM
Magic blog -  keep em coming!!
Post by: Sallyjane on August 03, 2014, 01:36:04 PM
I loved reading your report Bob & Jayne although new to posting on the forum I read it daily and with my fourth holiday to Kalkan in less than 5 weeks I cannot wait to be back in my favourite place!
Post by: Haybo on August 03, 2014, 04:19:34 PM
Yay, well done Jayne...you did it!  We had a lovely evening too- finished off with a gorgeous steak at alternatif.

Meis was great today, but I have hurt my leg climbing back into the little boat that takes you to the blue caves.....hop-a-long Haybo I am now!
Post by: Pompeyalbie on August 03, 2014, 04:47:04 PM
Now you've started Jayne you have to carry on, lovely report sounds really good. You did the reverse to us, we go to Calis & water taxi across to Fethiye, they were doing a lot of work  when we were there in May although our free parking seems to have disappeared now. Look forward to hearing about more adventures.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 03, 2014, 06:10:45 PM
Thanks guys, getting the hang of this blogging now! although not easy with this laptop that we keep here, no mouse, just some little red rubber dot, which looks like a nipple in the middle of the keyboard! Bob is infuriated by me, because I can't manoevre it around the screen, however much I try!!! so am guessing with the 2 Bacardi and Cokes I have just drank watching the sun go down, I have no chance!!!

Haybo, I am so sorry to hear about your minor mishap today, hope all is well and you are okay tomorrow.  Hope you enjoyed Meis though, it is beautiful isn't it? Pompeylalbie we really enjoyed that water taxi trip and the swim at Calis was so lovely, the sea was very warm!We couldn't believe how cheap it was over there, 5TL return each on the boat, and lunch 10TL for a chicken wrap with salad and chips including a drink!!! Bob paid an extra 4TL to have a large beer! Talking of food, we are on the rest of Chicken Guvac tonight as he made enough to feed an army! We have been to the new Bakers by Yali and they do the most amazing bread so will be sampling that with the casserole!

J&B
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 03, 2014, 06:21:40 PM
Fab Jayne!! So happy you're getting into blogging as I'm really enjoying reading these reports.
Maybe you should be having a slippery nipple cocktail rather than a Bacardi and coke!  ;)
Enjoy your evening and your chicken guvec. It sounds divine  :)
I'm looking forward to reading more of your exploits.  ;D
Post by: Skunk on August 03, 2014, 06:40:36 PM
Good to hear a bit more detail about your adventures Bob and Jayne! Just moseying around the forum to see what's up over there! Planning a trip for next September - no more school holiday sweltering for us tee hee!  >:D >:D >:D 8)
Post by: Christina on August 03, 2014, 06:43:04 PM
Nice one Jane! The EK meet up at Fener at sunset last night was a delight. Afterwards we had a livener at Adam and Eve's, then across to the Asian Gate for a fab chicken balti. Ali, one of the waiters there is marrying my new friend Helen on a flower and tulle bedecked Sea Bella in a couple of weeks. Anyone in KK at that time should look out for it in the harbour. Off to Adem's now for our last night dinner. See you at the Dream tomorrow Jayne.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 03, 2014, 10:27:15 PM
Well done, Jayne...I'm proud of you for posting and also immensely grateful  :)
So two things both the cushions and sweet corn were missing at the beach when we were there in June. BH loves the sweet corn and we have packed butter in our cool bag for the last two seasons and the boys have not been on the beach at all in June - although we did see one of them on the boats (a career progression we thought...). We always take our own cushions to the beach so news of cushioned beds is marvellous....more shoe space for next year!!!
If you can keep it up using your red nipple  :o  that would be fantastic....!
Enjoy the rest of your stay.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 04, 2014, 05:58:32 AM
Well, it's day 2 of my blog, so much so, I even woke in the night thinking about it, how sad am I!!!! Well it is 7.30am, the washing machine is on, Bob's still sleeping and here I am, sat on the balcony with my first coffee of the day, feeling like Shirley Valentine looking out at the calm sea towards Mouse Island!

Sunday - we had a lovely day, swam in our pool in the morning and then out for lunch which was lovely, catching up with some lovely people, and had a swim in their pool too, well I have to be honest I did, but unfortunately I forgot to put Bob's swim shorts in, so he had to sit and watch!!! we returned back around 5pm and yes had yet another swim to cool off, it is seriously getting hotter here.  As we were watching the sun go down, Kadir from Kaya walked by and did his Tommy Cooper impression and stopped for a chat, what lovely people they are.

We were staying in to finish off the remainder of the mountain of chicken guvec Bob had expertly made the day before, I thought I would help, he normally likes to keep me out of the kitchen, because if you knew me, you would soon realise that I am somewhat accident prone! yes within 5 minutes of trying to assist, I had managed to cut my finger with the bread knife! only a little bit of blood was shed, but nothing like a month ago, when I decided to make some Tzatziki at home, and almost sliced the top of my finger off with a mandolin! Anyway, sorry off topic, I then decided best to go and sit on the balcony with my Bacardi and Coke and let Bob take over! I had purchased a family size bag of Lays Crisps earlier (my favourite) and it was a good excuse to open them! even though I never eat crisps at home, there is something about them when on holiday!

Dinner was served around 10pm, and I have to say it was as tasty as the night before, it was my turn to wash up, my finger had finally stopped bleeding, so up I got and yes, walked straight into the fly screen! while Bob just sat there shaking his head as he does, and me laughing out loud!!!!

Monday - Off the stay at the Dream Hotel today, am looking forward to it, have heard it is very nice there.  Need to ring Adem too to book his restaurant for Wednesday, we love to go up there, such a lovely family and nice place to eat and see the fabulous view.  If anyone hasn't been, we would thoroughly recommend it.

One thing for sure is that we have almost completed our To Do list, and can now enjoy our holiday.  We went to the Bank on Thursday, queued for about half an hour waiting patiently for our number to be called, when we finally got to the desk, we were told we couldn't do anything as we didn't have our passports.  So off we went back to the apartment to get them, and returned in the afternoon.  The Bank was even busier, so we took another number and sat and waited and waited and waited ....... thinking why are there so many people, but it was because of the 5 day holiday the Banks had been closed and the world and his wife were in there, hence the 1 hour wait! OH definitely needed an Efes after that expedition!!!

K4E, glad you liked my blog, I only said to Bob last night, I wonder if you have read it, then woke this morning and you had posted!  :D

Shirley Valentine is going to make another coffee now.  Enjoy your day whatever you are doing and I will be doing my blog from the Dream Hotel tomorrow!!!

J&B

Post by: Babs on August 04, 2014, 08:15:16 AM
You're really getting into this now aren't you Shirley? Oops, Jayne! I am off to work now so rather suspect you will have a more enjoyable day than me....have fun  :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 04, 2014, 10:23:05 AM
it all sounds wonderful - cut fingers and fly screen butting apart  ;)
The best time of the day is that early morning calm, sitting wherever you are in Kalkan taking in your special view with your choice of cuppa - mine being tea.
How funny about the crisps - the only time I eat crisps is on holiday too. Several bags are consumed to make up for lost time ;D
Loving your blogs, Shirley...keep them up if you can and let us know about Dream :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 04, 2014, 11:51:59 AM
I can see I've got some stiff competition from Shirley  >:D

At least the pressure's off for next week.  ;D

Well done Jayne, I'm really enjoying your blogs and very happy that sweetcorn boy is back too. Oh I'm so excited...
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 04, 2014, 12:45:26 PM
I'm excited for you too, Lizilu. Oh and the pressure is still on you for a blog - don't let us down :)

BTW B&J are you planning on trying Pink Beach Club this visit? Be interested in your take on it if you are.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 05, 2014, 05:43:54 AM
My third day of blogging, well here goes!

Monday - Day to leave the apartment and move to the Dream Hotel!

First mishap of the day today was that somehow I managed to wrap my phone in the sheets and put in the washing machine, all I can say is thank goodness I heard a clunk as I threw them all in the machine, and thought what on earth is that! and there amongst the sheets was my phone! I am so relieved I hadn't switched it on.

Anyway, we packed up, had the last of the eggs boiled for breakfast (trying to be a little bit healthy) and off we went in the midday sun to the hotel.  On arrival first impressions were good, but it could only get better, the hotel is lovely with a beautiful view, room lovely and a swimming pool that is huge.  I thought sunbeds on the beach with cushions were fab, but the cushions on these sunbeds are like what you have on your sofa at home! All we can say is that we are "Loving the Dream, and Living the Dream"!

We had a quick swim in the pool and set off into town.  First stop was Abi Tours to book a trip to Kekova on Saturday, so that is ticked off our list of things to do now.  By this time it was so hot we decided to go down to the beach for a swim, and realised when we got there I hadn't got the towels, oh well, never mind, we were going in! We quickly launched ourselves in the sea, and I mean launched!!! and my goodness it was bliss, as yesterday was the hottest day so far! We then sat under the trees above the beach to dry off, it felt like paradise.

Back up through town we went, Bob wanting to have his first haircut.  He stopped off at the Shack and I went  back to the hotel for another swim! Met up with Christina who was at the Dream Hotel waiting for her transfer that evening to the airport to go home. 
We waited for Bob to return and after an hour or so, he appeared with his new hair cut. He said that it took as long doing his ears and eyebrows as it takes for a haircut at home! but he felt good as had a neck massage also included in the price 20TL!!!

We said goodbye to Christina, had been lovely catching up with her the past few days, and off she went to get her taxi.

Up to our room we went and watched the sunset from the balcony.  We had decided to go to Adana Ocakbasi for dinner.  I showered and when I got out of the shower said to OH, what's that smell have you been spraying the Deet, to which he replied no that's my Paco Rabanne after shave! Sorry Bob!

We had a lovely meal and would thoroughly recommend it.  Lovely rooftop terrace as well, and also right next to the hotel so didn't have to venture far.   

Today is Tuesday, not sure what we are doing today, possibly the Beach Club, my first thing is that I have promised myself I will be swimming 10 lengths of the pool before breakfast every morning, so am off to do that right now. 

Our friends arrived yesterday, so we are meeting them this evening, and have booked Gourmet for dinner, haven't been before so we are looking forward to that.

K4E, I don't think we will go to the Pink Beach Club, but will certainly take the Dolmus one day to Patara though.

Lizilu, not long now before your all here!  :D

To be continued.......
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 05, 2014, 03:22:56 PM
I love that Bob's Paco Rabanne smells like Deet....lets hope it keeps the mossies at bay as well as the women :-*
Are the rooms at Dream self catering..?
We've noticed the pool when we've been on one of our walks - does look fab there - enjoy your stay. Are you there for the rest of your visit?
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 05, 2014, 04:12:07 PM
You must try the chocolate avalanche at gourmet. I know you said you were trying to eat healthily but have the night off tonight and enjoy your meal.

Poor Bob smelling like DEET, K4E you may be onto something here. Jayne, you must see if Bob gets any bites every time he wears it and if not, douse yourself in it. How are the bites going?

Looking forward to tomorrow's episode already.  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 05, 2014, 04:19:34 PM
It'll be Paco Rabanne all round if it works... :)
Post by: Babs on August 05, 2014, 05:08:31 PM
Maybe I'll stock up at the market!  ;)  ;)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 06, 2014, 05:11:44 AM
Well here I am again! It's Wednesday, where is the time going?

Firstly I would like to say the Mozzie bites aren't so bad, and thinking about it, I haven't been bitten for a couple of days, so maybe the Paco Rabanne is the answer  ;D ;D ;D!

Tuesday - what a busy and hot day it was! started off, first breakfast in the Dream! lovely that it was, typically Turkish, and a case of "how do you like your eggs", yesterday it was an omelete, with mixed peppers.  Very nice indeed.

After breakfast, off to Kalkan Beach Club, surprisingly when we arrived at the Harbour we found out that there were now 2 boats ferrying people across there.  The smaller of the boat arrived, and we all piled in, luckily enough the cut off was as they let Bob board! thank goodness for that I thought, as I was safely on board before him! We arrived around 11am, and it was already very busy, we were given a sunbed and off we went to go in the sea to cool off, we had a lovely few hours, met up with a lady we met there last year, and itwas fab.  By around 3.30pm, it was so hot, no breeze yesterday, so we decided to return to Kalkan.  The bigger of the ferries took us back, and still the old Captain driving the boat, doesn't speak a word of English, but always so happy to see you! We love that beach park.  Still 5TL each for the ferry, and you then get the money deducted from your food and drinks bill and no charge for sun beds either.

We got back to Kalkan and boy was it hot hot hot! we slowly meandered through the town up the hill! and I mean meander very very slowly, stopping off at BSG to look at the Long Champ bags, I have an order for 5! and they are only 30TL each and every colour you can imagine.  So hot though, couldn't stand around, so will get them later in the week.  Stopped off at Korsan Meze and had a fresh lemonade and mint slush puppy! absolutely gorgeous, would thoroughly recommend one from there, the best I have ever had. Back to the hotel, Bob wasn't keen about going in the pool, but I thought I must just have a quick swim, it was like a hot bath, so quickly retreated to the room with the air con on!

We had a bit of a problem with Bob's shirts, all washed, but not ironed, as my pet hate, decided to bring them to the hotel, had checked there was an iron here, yes they said! On arrival there was an iron, but it is a travel one the size of a small lettuce leaf!!! have you tried ironing shirts with one that small! I have spoken to reception and they are going to iron the shirts for 2TL each, bargain!!! pretty chuffed when I told OH, and I quickly went back with all 12 to give them before they change their mind!

We were off to Gourmet last night, our friends had arrived yesterday and staying at Lykia Gardens, and we were meeting them at 7pm.  They have never been to Kalkan before, and within 24 hours they are hooked and will definitely be returning! Now what a surprise!!! We had a fabulous meal and were looked after so well by the people there. Our menu consisted of:   2 x Marble Steaks for us girls, and it was amazing, you cook it yourself at the table, so tender and tasty. We both had the extra chips, now what I had promised myself, no chips this holiday!!! Bob had Steak with Jamieson Whisky Sauce, thanks Automan for the recommendation he says! and our friend had steak  with Blue Cheese and Walnut sauce.  Dessert! 2 x Chocolate Avalanche, 1 chocolate cheesecake and 1 of the local desserts, I think it was an almond something or other, but not sure, as was only paying attention to my chocolate avalanche!!! We were so full, even not having starters, thank goodness we didn't! They do bring you hot rolls and vegetarian sushi with the hottest wasabi I have ever tasted! 2 bottles of red and 2 glasses of white wine later, we were all done! It was getting quite late by the time we had finisihed our meal, our friends were walking back along the track to the Lykia Gardens, and we were off up the hill, but hey ho, no Bob (in his new roll as the Kalkan Tour Guide) insisted on showing them the town, we walk down up and around and he gave them the Tour! Bless him, but by this time probably midnight now, I was done in.  We finally crawled back to the Dream, dripping wet as if we had been for a swim! but what a lovely night we had.  Would I like a nightcap was the last I remember, yes please, but I didn't manage to even finish it.  He said please can you have a lie in tomorrow, we are on holiday, of course I will was the last thing I muttered before drifting off to sleep, but no I still wake at 6.30am, doesn't matter what time I go to bed! Anyway, at least Shirley gets to sit on the balcony with that view, doing my blog!!!

Anyway must close now, we aren't sure what we are doing today, tonight we have booked to go to Adem's Restaurant with Haybo, so looking forward to spending the evening with her and her family again. Will check back in tomorrow.

Just one more thing to add, in our hotel foyer there is a set of scales, presumably for weighing cases on! but I am tempted every time I walk past to hop on! as the week is progresing, it is a case of Do I, or Don't I? What do you think?

Shirley x
Post by: Haybo on August 06, 2014, 05:24:00 AM
What a great report...I must get on with mine! Jayne - I wake up at 6:20 regardless....what is that all about! Haven't ventured outside yet...sat on sofa with a blanket over me....that is (as son would say ) messed up! See you later x
Post by: Babs on August 06, 2014, 07:15:14 AM
Another lovely report Jayne......definitely don't get on the scales....holidays, especially in Kalkan, and scales just don't go together!
Post by: Skunk on August 06, 2014, 11:14:26 AM
Great report  Jayne, sounds like you had a good day yesterday.  Just heard from Chris this morning and the apartment is booked and deposit paid. A whole year to go though. Don't go near those scales!!! Must try that Korsam Meze slush puppy, sounds fabulous. Have fun today!  :) :) :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 06, 2014, 12:31:29 PM
Another fab report Shirley. We've missed out on these reports for years - so glad you decided to take the plunge this year  ;D

That's a result re Bob's shirts and handy to know they have an ironng service.

Well I'm really on countdown now, I'm as slippery as an eel having epilady'd myself for 3 hours last night. Let me tell you I needed vodka medicinally to help with the pain but it was worth it!  ;D

Have a great day today and enjoy Adem's tonight.  8)
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 06, 2014, 02:13:21 PM
Loving these reports, Shirley. What would you normally be doing on those 6am early risings...? Is this not the perfect solution for insomniacs?
Those scales are just to taunt you or to weigh your cases. DO NOT STEP ON THE SCALES!! Do not give in, look the other way. We went to an all inclusive in Mexico a couple of years ago and I found scales in the wardrobe and despite never jumping on them at home I thought it would be enlightening to see what I weighed....big mistake. HUGE! Although my clothes were starting to strain a bit at the seams, seeing it in black and white was depressing...and affected my eating and drinking choices (plus gym time ::)) for the rest of the stay. Worry about silly things like that when you get back to UK.
Glad you enjoyed Gourmet. Sakir is one of the best chefs in Kalkan IMO and really cares about food and creating innovative dishes - always pops out at the end of the night to see what those remaining have enjoyed their food. Love the chocolate fondue dessert here...delicious :)
Not long for you now Lizilu....lucky you :-*
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 06, 2014, 02:38:45 PM
Thanks for all your lovely comments, Skunk that is fab you have booked again for next year, get that Count Down to Kalkan app on your phone and you will be here before you know it! and Lizzie go careful with the epilady! and hurry up and get here!! K4E I definitely have insomnia even on holiday but this is really making up for it! May not post until Friday though now, as off early to the market tomorrow! haven't told OH yet though!!!!

Laters ...........    x
Post by: joycie on August 06, 2014, 04:57:54 PM
Oh boy what a lovely report can't wait September 2nd and three lovely weeks to look forward to. Slightly nervous after last year but  am positive all will be fine. Moved house three weeks ago and on my third nervous breakdown. Didnt realise how much rubbish we had accumulated. Still managed to find the cases and will buy any thing still buried in the house move.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 07, 2014, 05:22:56 AM
Gunaydin

I know I wasn't going to do my blog today, as market day, but far too early to set off yet!

Wednesday - another lovely day in Paradise!

Started off with another lovely breakfast, but not eggs this morning! normal Turkish fayre, with strawberry yoghurt on the side with fresh apricots, very nice indeed, but not being keen on olives, honey and the pinkish meat that is served up I discretely put on Bob's plate! he said he will be sitting on another today if I keep loading up his plate! am sure he is only joking!!!!!

After breakfast, we went off down to the beach, only 10am and there were quite a few people there already, we chose our beds (and cushions) just along from Kleo Bar right at the front by the water.  It was fairly breezy but very warm.  We watched the boats leaving the harbour (we love that time of the morning). There is a new man selling fruit this year that we hadn't noticed before, plums and cherries featured yesterday, but still full from breakfast, we decided we didn't want any.  Sweetcorn boy then appeared, and went straight to a family of 6 people and sold 6 straight away, boy does he put a lot of salt on them! We went off to the Pinar Cafe at the end of the beach for a drink, really nice, and so cheap, we couldn't believe how cheap! it is very clean too and well worth popping along if you are at the Town beach and want a snack or drink at lunchtime. After 45 minutes or so, and after Bob had taken rather a lot of photos of the beautiful surroundings, we noticed that they were filming on the beach, was tempted to wander nearby them, to see if I could muscle in, but OH wouldn't let me!!  ;D so off we went back to the sun beds (such a hard life), by this time the wind had picked up, and some of the portable umbrellas were blowing down the beach, but after about an hour the wind dropped and all was fine again.  Another few dips in the sea, a little snooze, and back up the hill to the Dream we went.

When we got back, all of Bob's shirts were neatly ironed and hung up in our room, now that is what I call service. The thing is what one would he choose to wear tonight! I hung the towels over the balcony to dry, bit of a mistake half an hour later one had blown off onto the roof below, after lying precariously on our balcony and poking my arm thought the pillars I managed to retrieve it! Bob appeared, still shaking his head with me laid on the floor, he muttered something like, I am not even going to ask!!!

Adem was collecting us at 7pm, so time for a quick nap, shower and an iced cold Bacardi and Coke, and we were ready to go.  Bang on time, Adem appeared in his van, complete with Haybo and her family, and another family, and off we set to the Restaurant. He had all the windows open in the van, and how lovely it was with the breeze blowing as we drove up to the restaurant.  We sat on the top table looking at the view and the sun setting, but boy was it hot! We thoroughly enjoyed the evening and it was lovely to see Haybo and her family again, the food was wonderful, I had saute mushrooms to start and the shrimp guvec with rice and vegetables for main, and I shared some home made chips! No chips on holiday I had promised myself, and  now 2 nights in a row! Bob had a starter mushroom and cheese guvec and mousaka for main course.  It was all beautifully cooked and we will definitely be going again. When we visited Adem's at Easter, we saw his day old baby chicks, and they are now fully grown and once it got dark they were perched up in the trees out of the way of Mr Foxy Loxy! 

Adem chauffered us all safely back to our accommodation after dinner, we said goodbye to Haybo and made our way back to our room.  No nightcap for us tonight, we were so tired, but had enjoyed another lovely day in our little bit of Paradise!

Looking forward to the market today, and I really am going to be like Shirley Valentine tonight, we are planning a picnic on the beach with a nice chilled bottle of wine to watch the sun go down.  Probably won't have the table and chair setting, but we are looking forward to it.  Will report back tomorrow!

Just a couple of other things to add this morning, I am really getting used to my mini laptop and the little red dot now! it's easy when you know how! and the Mozzies were out last night, and got us again!  Must be the change from Paco Rabanne to Hugo Boss!

J (SV)                   
Post by: Haybo on August 07, 2014, 05:58:15 AM
Morning g Jayne! Thanks for inviting us to Adams.. We had a lovely evening, but wow! How hot was it! I suppose it didn't help that hubby's meal was on fire for 10 minutes at the table and so was mine and M's.

Trying to rally the troops to get to the market...like herding cats! :P
Post by: Babs on August 07, 2014, 08:37:17 AM
Shirley......what a lovely post! Your day at the beach sounds just perfect.....I just love days like that, basically doing nothing, where our only concern is what to wear for dinner and is it time for a dip, drink, snooze yet?
A picnic on the beach is a great idea, enjoy!  :angel:
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 07, 2014, 11:22:25 AM
An unexpected treat....a post I wasn't expecting! There it was like a free starter or a brandy on the house :) :)
Like Babs says, those days of doing nothing and snoozing - although I struggle to sleep in the day but BH's snoring in the pool on the water hammock can be heard in Akbel - dressing for dinner, deciding where to go for drinks....aaahh wish I was there with you.
Cant wait to hear all about the beach picnic at sunset....! We love a beach picnic but have only ever have daytime ones - BH would love an evening one and I would probably spend my time worrying about bugs.
Sooohhh looking forward to your next installment :)
Post by: Skunk on August 07, 2014, 12:46:09 PM
Sounds like the perfect beach day Shirley. Meanwhile back at our ranch I have got a new S5 phone but can't move any of my games or apps onto it from Facebook. I have to go back to the store and get them to do it apparently. So lost all my whats app messages etc, although I have kept the old phone for the moment until I get it all sorted out.  Hope the market was fun and not too hot ??? ??? ??? :o - I always find it's baking by 9am. Picnic sounds a great idea but don't forget all your mozzie treatments! Ah well, it's off to Tesco for me soon. Look forward to the next instalment!
Post by: clara 50 on August 07, 2014, 03:12:47 PM
Smashing report Jayne very interesting. Glad someone else is as accident prone as me. Always cut fingers and bruised shins. Only last weekend went out sunday afternoon to watch a singer. Club packed so had to perch on a tiny stool, someone banged into me and I fell ar**backwards on to the carpet, felt a right fool even though I felt a bit shook up, still getting over a bust pelvis which was yet another falling accident down stairs, think I'd make a good female Norman Wisdom. The bedclothes and phone thing happened to me in hospital when the nurse changed  the sheets, My OH tracked it down to the laundry across the way, using his phone before they were about to go into the machine, whew. Keep reporting keeps me entertained until our trip, less than a month now, bring it on.
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 07, 2014, 04:39:10 PM
Hi Shirley.  :)
K4E is so right. That extra report was just like getting a little unexpected freebie and it was a thoroughly enjoyable read and just what I needed after a mammoth afternoon packing.  I'm looking forward to reading about your romantic sunset beach picnic. Just make sure it's not too romantic  as we don't want any 9 and 1/2 weeks scenarios on the town beach  :o ;D if Bob starts humming "yellow submarine", throw a glass of cold water over him!!!! ;D
Seriously, have a lovely evening. X  :-*
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 08, 2014, 05:11:16 AM
Merhaba - it's 7am, I am a bit late this morning!!! what a day we had, and evening, over 5 hours on the beach last night 6.45 til almost midnight! can't believe how quickly the time went!

Thursday - Thursday 7.30am - woke Bob up much to  his disgust, well I had been awake since 6am and it was Market Day.  Blog done, and off to breakfast we went.  Today's egg number was boiled! and as traditional Turkish very hard boiled, but nonetheless it was lovely with the rest of the Turkish spread.

We left by 8.30am and wandered up to the market, not very far at all from the Dream Hotel, although a fairly steep climb up the back streets. A dear little old Turkish lady with a head scarf overtook us on the inside and muttered something but just smiled as she reach the market before us. First stop was the Beat stall! OH wanted to buy some speakers, and we got a bargain, well we think we did! 60TL Beatspill, bluetooth, means nothing to me, but everyone round the pool later on seemed to be impressed when he insisted on testing them out, conflicting with the poolside music, wasn't sure whether I was listening to Turkish traditional music or Dr Dre!

We then went on to have a look round, the weather was fairly cloudly but was actually good for looking round the market. We bought tomatoes, cucumber, onion, figs, cherries, grapes, peaches, plums and nuts for our picnic, some lovely goats and feta cheese, olives and then went down to Yali to look for the water hammocks that someone has bought at the hotel, but unfortunately they seemed to have sold out. Sorry, Lizzie at the moment, your Walter won't have a companion this year! 

We went into the Bank, and I was pleased to see that this week there was not the long queue like there was last week after the holiday.  We got a good rate of exchange in Deniz Bank 3.63, so BH was happy. I can see BSG visit happening soon!

Back to the hotel, for a few hours round the pool, which was lovely as the weather was not too sunny today, but still hot.  We had lunch here today, a lovely chicken wrap and the dreaded chips that I am not having on holiday this year! only a few though, as I put most of mine on Bob's plate again while he wasn't looking!

Picnic - after a cool off in the room, and a quick shower, we packed up our things and off we went, via the bakery to get 2 olive and sundried tomato rolls which I had spied earlier and a hot spit roasted chicken to go with the picnic.  Bob wanted some salami, but then we spotted the chickens and thought that would be a nicer option.  We couldn't get down to the beach quick enough, the smell of that chicken was divine! A quick stop in Lucky to pick up a cold bottle of Kavak white and a bottle of Villa Doluca Shiraz and off we went. 

On arriving thinking we would be the only ones, the beach was packed! we managed to get our chairs again though front spot by the water.  Too hot to eat the chicken yet, so had a lovely swim, it was still so warm, in fact sunnier than had been in the day.  There were boats leaving the harbour for the sunset cruises and 2 very large boats came in and people went ashore to eat leaving the boats moored up right by the beach, such a beautiful scene.  Slowly people left and we got another sunbed put a towel for a table cloth on it and laid out our picnic.  Bob cut up the chicken, we had our cheese and salad and fruit on little plastic plates and it looked good enough for a king to eat! Only downside, I had forgotten the Olives, sorry Bob, his favourite too.  The sun was beginning to go down, the wine was open and Bob's new speakers were playing Tom Baxter and Dire Straits, what more could you ask for. The setting was set, it beautiful.    :D :D :D :D 

There were quite a few people on the beach, mainly Turkish with the children, all still in the water when it go dark, we had a lot of interest in our new speakers, people looking and listening to them too, even sharing our grapes which was nice! There were a couple of dogs nearby, and they didn't bother us, just looked on whilst we were eating, but suddenly some fireworks went off from one of the restaurants and one of the dogs shot up and ran straight over to me, knocking my wine flying on the beach, never mind, no broken glass, just spilt the wine!

It was around 11.45pm, where on earth did that time go, we packed up, not much food or wine left I can tell you, and off we set back to the hotel.  The town was still buzzing, I persuaded BH to get a taxi, I know it was only up the hill, but we had had such a lovely evening, I didn't want to spoil it, so off to the taxi rank we went, and 7TL later, plus a tip, we were back to the Dream!

Today we are going on Pina X, and tomorrow Kekova, not ideal 2 boat trips 2 days in a row, but Kekova only had spaces for Saturday this week, but we are really looking forward to both days, am hoping the sea isn't as choppy as last week though.

Thank you for all your lovely comments on my blogs, K4E I laughed out loud when I read yours yesterday about its like a free starter or a Brandy on the house! Lizzie you must be so excited, I wanted to see a photo of that count down app saying zero days left! Can't wait to see you tomorrow.  Haybo, have a safe journey home, it has been lovely meeting you, Dave and Matthew. 

Shirley x
Post by: Haybo on August 08, 2014, 06:17:36 AM
What a lovely evening you had! We were sat in Fener when the fireworks went off! Dave was peering through his varifocals to see if he could spot you on the beach! There were so many people on the beach...we will definitely be having a moonlight swim next year!

Feeling emosh again.......
Post by: Babs on August 08, 2014, 08:53:59 AM
Sounds amazing....next time we are in Kalkan when it's very hot we may try that.....probably not ideal in October as the evening are sometimes a bit chillier? Have never been on a moonlight cruise either, will have to try that too! Look forward to the next installment  :laugh:
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 08, 2014, 10:57:19 AM
Yippee!!!  ;D
Post by: Skunk on August 08, 2014, 11:37:39 AM
It sounds and looked divine Jayne - definitely something to do when we go next year.  We got a beatspill as well when we were over - same price.  Also some headphones which are quite good.  Lizzie you must be SOOO excited by now! Have a safe journey and I look forward to hearing all about it.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 09, 2014, 05:38:01 AM
Morning All - so tired today, 7am, I'm waking a little later each morning! maybe by the end of our holiday I will be awake at 7.30am instead of 6am! Looking out the sun is just coming up over Mouse and Snake, what a beautiful sight.

Friday - After breakfast (fried eggs this morning with crispy edges, yummy! just how OH likes them!), we packed our bags, smothered ourselves with Factor 20, and set off down to the Harbour for our second trip on Pina X with Captain Abdi. Walking down the very steep hill past Photo Pizza, we bumped into Mehmet from the Pirat, he was so happy to see us, asking why we weren't staying at the Pirat again this year! had a quick chat and off we went.

A lovely family were already on the boat, we awaited 4 more people to arrive and off we went.  The weather this week was gorgeous, Abdi said the wind wasn't in the right direction to go to Kapatus, so we went to Frank Bay, Fernez Bay, Camelstone and the Mud Bath Bay.  I wasn't going to participate by Bob thought it would be a good idea, so we swam ashore, smothered ourselves in mud and waited for it to dry! goodness knows what I must have looked like, but I have to say on the bits I slapped the mud on, I am sure I feel soft and look at least 6 months younger this morning! He fed us very well, the lunch was amazing especially the chicken curry and borek, which I merrily tucked into! A fruit platter and cake and biscuits in the afternoon later, and we were full to the brim, saying we definitely wouldn't be eating much tonight.

We arrived back at 6pm, and bumped into some friends that had arrived on Tuesday, was lovely to see them again too.  Back up that hill we went, stopping off for water on the way, and back to the hotel.  So tired, but happy, and still full, well for a while anyway.  We decided about 9pm that we would just pop out for a small something or other! We went to Oz Adana on the roundabout by the Taxi Rank, and what a surprise we got.  I ordered the Adana Lamb Kebab and Bob ordered the chicken wings, mine was 13TL and Bob's 10TL, so we thought wouldn't be massive.  Firstly a huge shepherd's salad appeared on the biggest plate you could imagine, followed by a mountain of lovely hot bread, and then a dish of chacik! not sure about that spelling! I just looked on in horror, thinking we only wanted a snack, and our main hadn't even arrived.  They don't sell alcohol, so ordered a diet coke and a large water.  The waiter then said to Bob that they had run out of chicken wings and would a shish be okay, yes he said.  When the mains arrived, Bob had masses of chicken,  and my lamb was succulent and so tasty.  All came with yet more salad and more bread! We ate what we could, and then asked for the bill, what a little hidden gem that place is.  The bill arrived, and it was the total sum of 29Tl (around £7.98)! amazing value.  Would definitely recommend going here. We also noticed on the menu that grilled seabass was 20TL and it looked beautiful too.

It was 11pm by now and we were very tired, but had had a fabulous day, so off to bed we went.

Haybo glad you are home safely, hope your journey was okay.  Lizzie, you must  be almost on your way now, hope your stocking up on that duty free and OH is treating you to some nice perfume!!!!  ;D

It's Kekova today for us, we need to be outside Kipa Supermarket for 9am, so up and out soon as need to have breakfast and see what eggs are in store for us this morning!

Have a lovely Saturday everyone. 

Shirley

Post by: The Reads on August 09, 2014, 06:26:33 PM
Hi bob and Jayne :)

Newbies to joining the forum however we have been reading posts since our first visit to kalkan last year.

This time 3 weeks ago we were sat at Dalaman airport on our way home from two fantastic weeks in Kalkan, really sad faces all around.

Your blog this week has lifted our holiday blues a little as we felt like we are back there with you, haven't been on since Tuesday but currently sat in the garden at home, with a glass of wine but really missing our mezze. We are also all big fans of PinaX and captain Abdi, unfortunately was too rough for us to visit the mud bath this year.

Look forward to reading the rest of your posts, however making us miss kalkan that little bit more x
Post by: Babs on August 09, 2014, 07:47:51 PM
Look forward to hearing all about the Kekova trip as I think we ought to do this again as we haven't been since our first visit 10 years ago!
Post by: Skunk on August 10, 2014, 12:18:48 AM
I'm glad to say I told you so about Oz Adana - shocked that they don't have alcohol though - they always used to. Can't imagine what I'd do!  ??? ??? ???. Dying to read about today - the Kekova trip and presumably a meet up with Lizilu, Automan and the gang? Meanwhile back at the ranch a trip to Saffron Walden, lunch at the Old English Gentleman pub in the garden, beautiful Serrano ham on the bone from the Spanish stall in the market, ditto Kalamata olives from olive stall, langoustines and crab from the fish man for lunch tomorrow. Fab weather too - for England!!! Not as good as Kalkan though!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 10, 2014, 05:26:41 AM
Good Morning everyone

Firstly if I seem a bit confused in writing my blog today is that either I had too much sun yesterday or too much wine! Things seem somewhat foggy this morning to say the least! and really should be wearing dark glasses as I write this.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Saturday - up early down to breakfast (no eggs today, water melon), really don't like it, and didn't dare smuggle it on Bob's plate! 2 cups of coffee and round the corner to Kipa to await our bus to take us to Kekova. This year, the boats are leaving from Kekova rather than Kas we were told, because of the winds and the choppy seas.

Bus arrived on time, we got in, a lovely brand new bus with air con full blast.  Lovely.  It took around an hour, the scenery was beautiful.  We arrived around 10am, all piled out and boarded the boat. Absolutely stunning, a much nicer way of seeing the place than going to Kas we thought.  We stopped off at 5 different coves and bays to swim and take in the scenery.  When we reached the sunken city, the captain lifted up the carpet to reveal the glass bottom on the boat for everyone to see.  We then went to another bay to have lunch, where he fired up the bbq and cooked chicken, kofte, bulgar wheat, salad, pasta with yoghurt and butter on the top (this was lovely) and I don't even like pasta! aubergine salad, courgette fritters and a mountain of lovely fresh bread. There were around 40 people on the boat, and there was enough food to feed double that amount I am sure!

After lunch we then swam again, and then off to Simena.  We had been a few times before, but every time we visit it gets even more beautiful.  We left the boat and climbed the steps, not quite as far as the castle, but further than we had on previous years.  Then back down to the lovely cafe overlooking the water for a beer, water and icecream, oh and a beach dress that they were selling.  20Tl for the dress and it is so pretty!

Back on board after an hour or so, and then off to another bay to swim.  We saw around 8 turtles in all, and at this stop there was a large one swimming near the boat.  So amazing to see.  Our trip finished around 5pm and back on the bus and we made our way back to Kalkan. The cost of our day out was £20 each, and it was worth every penny.

We had an fantastic day, and so I decided to open the wine, not sure whether it was the sun, or the fact that I was celebrating that Lizzie and Automan had arrived, that in no time at all I had drank the whole bottle, and very nice it was too.  Then off we went out to meet them in Adana Okabasi, and my goodness was it lovely to see them. We had a really lovely evening, chatting and eating and for me 2 more glasses of wine was probably a big mistake, I think I should have stuck to water. Bob said I was slurring by the time we left!

Skunk - I am wishing that Adana Okabasi didn't sell alcohol now like Oz Adana, and maybe things would be somewhat clearer this morning!! Your meal sounded lovely by the way.

Anyway we said our goodbyes, and off we all went. I am still awake this morning at stupid o'clock, but have taken 2 well needed Paracetamol to help with the headache!!

Imagine Lizzie will be writing later, so look forward to that!  :D :D :D

Happy Sunday everyone.

Shirley   

Post by: Haybo on August 10, 2014, 08:35:27 AM
Not happy- to say it is chucking it down here is a MASSIVE understatement!   Feel my tan has faded 6 shades just looking out of the window......

Wish we had tried Adana now - would have saved a pretty penny!

Got some friends over  from Australia visiting for lunch so Dave is already in the kitchen! Slow cooked beef and all the trimmings! May lift my mood a little!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 10, 2014, 09:04:19 AM
So good to see you both last night, it's like we were never apart hahaha!!! Looking forward to fun times ahead.  ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 10, 2014, 10:23:41 AM
Oh Shirley, I feel your pain.....whether its too much wine or too much sun, or a combination of both, it's not a good feeling :P
I love Kekova but I think it's about 7 years since we went. We are definitely going back next year, you made it sound wonderful and I like the idea of not going from Kas. Who did you book with?
We haven't tried Adana Okabasi...in all honesty I was gutted when Oz Adana were forced out of there a couple of years back so couldn't bring myself to go. Now Oz Adana are in their new premises in town, we might give it a go next year. I won't feel so bad...
Looking forward to hearing all about your fun times ahead with Lizilu and family.
Post by: Babs on August 10, 2014, 12:24:31 PM
Shirley, a couple of questions......where is Adana Okabasi and who did you go to Kekova with? I think we need to branch out a little this year!
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 10, 2014, 08:36:12 PM
Babs, Adana Okabasi is where Oz Adana used to be for umpteen years, up the road that leads to Dream Hotel, by Samira Exclusive. Near Rose restaurant if you know it. I think Jayne/Shirley will let us know who they went to Kekova with when she next posts.....she says hopefully.
Post by: Babs on August 10, 2014, 09:16:21 PM
So turn right past the Samira?
Post by: Haybo on August 10, 2014, 10:00:49 PM
Stand facing Kipa supermarket...take the road to the left of it....you will see Rose...its before there.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 10, 2014, 11:31:48 PM
It's on the left walking down from Kaya, before Samira...
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 11, 2014, 05:22:39 AM
Morning All!

Just reading all your posts, sorry I didn't get back yesterday.  Yes Babs, Adana Okabasi is by the Rose Restaurant in the road on the right turning up by Kipa Supermarket.   K4E we didn't know that Oz Adana used to be there either, but have to say both are excellent, and we will be visiting again before our holiday is over.

Babs we booked Kekova through Abi Tours, which is just opposite Yardin Jewellers as you go into town.  Would recommend them definitely, in fact if we weren't running out of days, I would love to go again, it was a fabulous day.

Now, where do I start?

Sunday - down to breakfast (Eggie bread this morning) was the surprise addition! not sure it is or ever has been my thing, but Bob tucked into mine, he didn't mind me slipping that on his plate! Due to my still fuzzy head, we decided to wander down to the town beach, via Define Tours to book our Saklikent Trip next Tuesday with Lizzie and the Gang, being Sunday and election day, we were told Kalkan would be busy, and it was, but we still got our beds at the sea front again with 2 umbrellas! Lovely, settled down, firstly with a swim, and watching the boats set sail. It was as calm as could be down there, but very hot.  Lunchtime soon arrived so we wandered up to the Beach Cafe, we are beginning to really love that place, always shady and lovely to sit and watch people on the beach. I was feeling much better after lunch, so back to the beds and another swim we went.  Suddenly a young lad appeared carrying a tray of ice cold Orange and Lemon Slush Puppies, he was from Doy Doy, we welcomed him with open arms, they were delicious, and a mere 1TL each!   

We made our way back up through town, stopping off at BSG to look at the  bags, my friend wants an Alexa Mulberry, and I have been looking for her, couldn't believe it when the exact one in black that she wants had gone in the sale today, so I reserved it just need to double check with her first and will collect it today.  I bought while I was in town a Long Champ bag for me, which is lovely.  We called in to the supermarket on the way back for water, and some chocolate treats for Adem's girls as we were taking our friends there again tonight, as it was their last night.  On getting back to the hotel, I went to get my bag, and suddenly realised I had lost it! a few choice words came out of my mouth ........ OH saying you have no chance of finding that now, and bless him, he said I will buy you another one! but no I was going back to find it! first stop off was Kipa where we had called in, started to ask the Cashier if I had left it in there, and before I finished my question, I spotted it all neatly still in the carrier bag behind the counter! I was so happy that somebody handed it in, thank you whoever it was!

Anyway back to the hotel, a quick dip in the pool to cool off and get ready for our pick up at 7pm.  Adem arrived bang on time, we went down to the Harbour to collect our friends and then off to pick up another 7 people at various stops, he can take 11 in his van!!  Everyone seemed happy and off we went to the Restaurant.  As he had promised we had the top table overlooking the sea, it couldn't have been nicer.  We ordered a mixed meze and mushroom saute for us all to share for starters, 3 lamb shanks and a peppered steak for OH, all of which were delicious.  My lamb shank fell off the bone, it arrives on a sizzling plate on fire and slowly finishes cooking at your table.  Of course I ordered a sharing plate of their home made chips (by the way I am not having chips this holiday!!!!) or getting on those scales in the reception, Ice creams and baclava for dessert, and we were done! It was all so delicious, our friends who had never been to Kalkan before let alone Adem's thought the whole setting was amazing, and we are so glad that they spent their last night there.  They will be back by the sounds of it, the Kalkan bug has bitten them too .........

Around 10.30 we set off back to Kalkan.  Can't believe we had been sat at the Restaurant for over 3 hours, how time flies when your enjoying yourself! Back at the hotel, we messaged the Gang, as we had said if we were  back in time we would meet for a nightcap! They were in Moonlight Bar, so not far to walk, as after our huge meal, we were feeling a little full! Keenan the nut man appeared, so lovely to see him, and the man that sells the roses, such a lovely atmosphere. 2 hours later, and after a lot of laughter (Bob and Automan were being very hilarious tonight  :) :) :) :), like 2 naughty school boys!) we thought we had better retire to our beds. Last thing I said to Bob as he switched off the light around 1.15am, will definitely be waking up late in the morning. But no, 6.20am and wide awake! never mind, at least I am getting the most out of my time here in Kalkan. 

Fun in the Sun to be continued ...............  :D :D :D

Post by: Haybo on August 11, 2014, 05:46:51 AM
Glad to see you have taken over the 6:20 shift! This means I have a lovely report to read with my morning cuppa. Back to work today for me.  M6, m42 and m40 here I come!

Glad you got your bag back.  I will be using my new bag for the first time today! Have a great Monday x
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 11, 2014, 05:56:39 AM
Hope your day goes okay Haybo, but at least you get to use your new bag! Will be working on a time slot to seek out that web cam by the way!!!  8) x
Post by: Babs on August 11, 2014, 07:13:43 AM
It's lovely to have my breakfast fix each day! Well I use the term breakfast loosely as I'm on the 5.2 diet and today is a fast day :(
In all the trips we've made to Kalkan we have only been to Adems once and it was a bit of a disaster........
My daughter squealed every time a chicken went near her feet and Adems daughter cut her arm badly and everyone had to rush off to the doctor! Maybe we should try it again this year? My to do list grows by the day!
I know exactly where Adana Okabasi is now and Abi travel I knew about as we've used them before.....thanks peeps! :laugh:
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 11, 2014, 09:46:54 AM
B&J....Loving your posts..keeps me in holiday mode! what a nice man Kenan the nut seller is? Always a big smile and a hug! always remember him in Moonlight with everybody doing the hands for YMCA!! ;)
Post by: Chris_S on August 11, 2014, 10:32:24 AM
Chicken around your feet at Adem's?

Just say, "I'll have that one!"

That should frighten them off.

Seriously, never had a bad time at Adems.  In the dark a few times many years ago, but never really disappointed.  It's good for lunch too...
Post by: Haybo on August 11, 2014, 06:06:05 PM
Jayne I think it will have to be at the weekend.. I leave here at 7 am so that is 9 with you - a bit early, then I get home around 6 so it's 8 with you and the sun is setting so the island pictures are terrible.  Have a think about what you're up to on Saturday and we can try for then!
Post by: antler on August 11, 2014, 10:31:41 PM
Lovin' it and livin' it, Bob & Jayne - thank you SO much!  Keep enjoying.
Lots of love,
Battered by Bertha
Antler
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 12, 2014, 05:45:38 AM
Morning everyone, lovely to read your replies this morning! am typing this today very bleary eyed. The sun is coming up, the pool man is cleaning the pool and I am sitting here watching a beautiful sailing boat leaving the harbour, the sea looks like glass this morning, I hope it stays that way tomorrow, as boat trip planned for all of us.

Monday - Another day in the sun for us, and another beach day, we just love it down there.  After breakfast (boiled eggs)!! I have it sussed now, not keen on all the olives, meats and bits and bobs they give you, so just ask for cheese, tomatoes, cream cheese and Toast Bread! as they call it, and of course the "Surprise"  then I don't have to secretly smuggle it on You Know Who's Plate! Our friends are going home and they are sad to be leaving after such a lovely holiday, she spied a glass or porcelain (she isn't sure which) whirling dervisher in Akin gift shop in town and wished now she had got it, and asked me if I could get it for her and bring home, of course I said, so hope that I get the right one! Will have a look later though.

Down to the beach we went, we don't even buy water up the top of town now, as the little supermarket sell it opposite Aubergine, so we don't have to carry it all the way down the hill.  We have never really looked in that shop, but it's like an Aladin's Cave, they sell everything. The owner, a lovely Turkish man was eating his breakfast when we went in, I can't believe I asked him what he was eating as it looked lovely, it was some kind of mushroom dish, and there I was scrutinising his meal, he asked if I would like some! how embarrassing, Bob just walked off (shaking his head).  Oh how I love food (all of it)!! except beetroot that is, lol!

Down to the beach, not many here this morning, so got prime position, covers on beds, 2 umbrellas, and we were sorted! Sweetcorn boy arrived around midday, and we bought 2, they were delicious, not too much salt I could hear myself saying as he poured it on.  Slush puppy boy arrived just after from Doy Doy, absolutely love those things, he seems to appear every half an hour or so with a tray full, and they are gone in no time, like children eating smarties! Just a slight mishap with my sunglasses, not sure how, but managed to snap off one of the arms! so sat on the beach looking Jack Duckworth with my one armed sunglass!!!!

By 3pm, the beach was very busy, and we decided to pack up and get back, as off to Lizzie and Automan's to watch the sunset, swim and Hunkars! certainly looking forward to that! Called in to collect the bag I had reserved in BSG, bought another 2 Long Champ bags, checked out the Whirling Dervisher, think I have the right one, but took a photo to send her to be sure before I buy it and popped into the Sunglass Shop just above Akin, Ibrahim, who runs the shop is a lovely man, in no time at all, a pair of polaroid fake Ray Bans were purchased, he had repaired my reading glasses that the arm had become loose and repaired Bob's Eype!

Back to the Dream, for a quick shower, a cool off in the air con, and then down to Lucky to pick up an alcoholic beverage or 2, jumped into a taxi, and off we sped up to spend the evening with the Gang!

Arrived around 6pm to the most gorgeous view. We had a fabulous evening with fabulous people, we swam, watched the sun go down from their top balcony, oh what a view! had a few drinks (only a few!!), and then we ordered Hunkar Take a way, what lovely food they deliver, just as good as eating in their restaurant.  They were very busy, and said it would be an hour, but it was worth the wait, as it was delicious.

Before we knew it, it was almost midnight. We'd had such a fun evening, but was time to retire to our beds! Just as we were about to call a taxi, one appeared dropping someone off next door, so Lizzie called him, we quickly packed up our things, thanked the Gang and said our farewells, and he drove us back down to Kalkan. Within 5 minutes we were back in our Hotel.

Another beautiful day spent in this wonderful place!

Haybo - I hope you get to read this before you go to work, Lizzie over to you for your afternoon slot!!!  :D :D :D :D

Shirley x

Post by: Haybo on August 12, 2014, 05:52:52 AM
Oh yes, read and enjoyed! Akin was probably my fave find of the trip....I have been working out how to get one of their big paintings home!  The bowl we purchased is looking fab on the hearth at the moment, but will be wall mounted eventually..... Have a great day today x
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 12, 2014, 11:29:46 AM
I love that little supermarket....its like stepping back in time. This was the first place I found ginger beer in Kalkan...I've no idea why this particular product was stocked here long before Yali got it but we would regularly pop in and pick up a few cans. It's also our last stop before the beach for BH's Efes, water and snacks for the picnic :)
Call me a heathen, but Lal topped up with some ginger beer and lots of ice makes a lovely refreshing wine spritzer...
Keep them coming, Shirley...these reports are fab :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 12, 2014, 01:18:04 PM
OMG k4e Lal topped up with ginger beer! Now that sounds delicious, most definitely be trying that!

Shirley  :D
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 12, 2014, 01:25:12 PM
Make that two Shirl...hic ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 12, 2014, 01:59:19 PM
Please drink responsibly....ie dont spill any ;D
Enjoy ladies :-*
Post by: Babs on August 12, 2014, 06:11:12 PM
Be as irresponsible as you like.....makes for funnier posts! :laugh:
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 13, 2014, 05:24:00 AM
Biz boyle muhtesem bir tatil yasiyorsaniz!!!!!

The above sums up how I am feeling this morning! Looking out this morning, the sea is looking very calm, and the weather forecast is saying hot hot hot! with the temperatures apparently soaring into the 40s this week!

Tuesday - Down to breakfast (Borek this morning) was the surprise, it was lovely. 

There are a couple of days gap in bookings at the apartment, so off we went to do some washing and odds and ends.  Took a taxi there, as had a fair amount of washing.  On arrival the only thing to do was put the washing in and go for a swim in the pool, it was very hot today.  We wanted to go to Can Can (little supermarket in the Kalamar Road) to purchase a new Water Hammock, and we knew that they sold them.  It isn't far from the apartment, but the hill to get there in the heat was somewhat long! As we made our way up the hill, a car stopped and out jumped Yunus the Manager from the Pirat Hotel, he was so pleased to see us, he ran round the car hugged us and had a quick chat and off he went! people are so nice here. On arriving at Can Can, we bought 2 water hammocks, one for a friend, the only trouble is that they only had pink ones, and OH isn't sure it is his colour! We bought 2 ice creams and made our way back down the hill, stopping off to look at the Lizo Apartments, they have a restaurant there and it looked very nice.  We don't normally venture far up the Kalamar Road, but there are some lovely places to eat and drink. We popped into our friends and delivered her water hammock (Waltina as they have been named, due to the flourescent pink), popped into the car hire shop, they seem to be in short supply this year, hoping to get one for a day or 2 to go to Kas and Islamlar,  then onto the hardware shop by Kalkan Kebab. We wanted to buy some plastic storage boxes to put in our locked cupboard in the apartment. They had a huge range of sizes in there, but were high up on a shelf.  A very helpful man said would we like to see them, and before we knew it, he had pulled the whole lot down from the shelf, and they fell and some of the lids and boxes smashed over the floor! We stood there in shock horror! He just picked up the pieces so to speak with our help, and asked which sizes we would like! All our belongings are now neatly stacked in 3 very large boxes in our cupboards.

After our very eventful and busy morning, we made our way back to the hotel.  The only thing I could think of was jumping in the pool and launching Waltilda! It was lovely, hardly anyone at the pool this afternoon.  The hotel have a dog called Pasha (a 9 week old Cocker Spaniel) he is beautiful but very naughty, he loves to take people's flip flops and things out of their bags! We have been a bit naughty, as have given him a little tit bit off our plate at breakfast, and everytime he sees us now, he just follows Bob and sits by him, but no not this afternoon, he came running up to Bob on his sun bed jumped on him and starting biting his feet, but only in play as puppies do, it was so funny! That'll teach him to feed him!

We packed up our things, and off we went to get ready for the evening.  We went to Marina last night with "The Gang" and Lizzie and Automan's friends who are on holiday too.  We had a really lovely evening yet again, not too much alcohol either, just fab food, fab company and fun! The food was amazing, OH had calamari and I had mixed mezze to start with the biggest balloon bread I have ever seen, they were fab! We both had the peppered steak, it melted in your mouth, so tender. It is my favourite place for a steak, and they certainly delivered last night. They were turning people away as they were so busy.  We have noticed this year how busy the restaurants are, and you certainly need to book this time of year to avoid being disappointed.  We left the restaurant and we all wandered along by the harbour to look at the boats, some were out still on the Moonlight cruises but most of them were there, including Pina X, which we are all going on today.  We have booked a private trip with Captain Abdi for the 11 of us, so we are really looking forward it.  Hoping that the wind is in the right direction and maybe we can go to Kapatus Beach.

We all meandered up through the town, having a look in a few shops, before saying our goodbyes and back to the hotel.  Another beautiful day had been spent in Paradise!

Until tomorrow .........................

Shirley x

Post by: Haybo on August 13, 2014, 05:51:54 AM
Morning Shirl.

Loved the picture on FB.  The german family we kept bumping into were raving about Marina, although the grandma kept saying blu marlin, which is nearby so we were unsure!
Have a great day on your boat trip. X
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 13, 2014, 06:23:20 AM
Fantastic shirl!!! You summed our night up brilliantly.  :)
So looking forward to our 'life on the ocean wave' today - yo ho ho and a bottle of rum/gin/efes  ;D ;D
Post by: Babs on August 13, 2014, 07:08:57 AM
Sigh.......... :angel:
Have a lovely day at sea
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 13, 2014, 12:56:41 PM
Its miserable and raining here so hearing your tales of hot sun and diving into pools to cool off makes me very jealous.
I'm sure you're having a wonderful day out on Pina X.
Love Marina restaurant....we missed going this year but did go to Blue Marlin. I would pick Marina over BM every time.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 14, 2014, 06:13:09 AM
De hepimiz ne bir gun!

Morning everyone, hoping your liking my little smidgeon of Turkish!!  ;D

Wednesday - Well where do I begin? "Bird" eggs this morning was the additional surprise at breakfast, pardon I heard myself saying to the waiter, Bob saying just order it and I will eat it if you don't like it! Breakfast arrived, and it was in fact Borek, but not the cheese roll type, but like a square of layered pastry with feta and herbs, not sure I wanted it, so passed onto you know who!  ;D

The temperature gauge outside the hotel was reading 41 degrees as we left the hotel at 9.40am, it was very hot this morning, so we slowly made our way down the hill past Foto Pizza, trying my best not to slip up en route.  We safely made it down to the harbour, called in for water in our little shop, no scrutinising owner's breakfast this morning as he was only just opening the shop, you know how they hose everything down, well they seemed to have hosed down the inside of the shop too yesterday, not sure why though!

We were all ready now to join Captain Abdi on Pina X for our lovely day at sea.

We met the Gang, and all 11 of us climbed aboard, Lizzie's friends joined us as well, which was nice.  Not much shade anywhere today or breeze, so it was going to be a hot day.  Coffee and apple tea was served, and the anchor raised and we were off! It's strange how the boats all seem to pull away together, all vying for position, but stacking up like a deck of cards, until you get your slot to go.  The sea was calm, and we were on our way, going left past Frank Bay to Kaputas Beach.  Yeah, Lizzie and I said, we were so happy, Abdi had told us on previous occasions he can only go that way when the wind is in the right direction as it can get rough on the way back.  We got to Kaputas, and everyone was so hot with no breeze, we jumped in the sea and wow, it was beautiful.  The sea was so turquoise.  OH and I swam to the beach, armed with our spagetti woggles for support. I've never  actually been on the beach before, there was a little stall selling pancakes and hot and cold drinks, the Turkish Beach boy selling the umbrellas and sun beds told us that it was the 4th most beautiful beach in Europe, he said "if you don't believe me, google it"! The steps going down to the beach from the road, didn't look at all as bad as I have previously thought, and was really the reason we have never been there by road before, only on a boat.  So hopefully if we can get a car hire before we go home, we thought it would be nice to visit early one evening.  I was a bit worried about getting back to the boat, as not sure whether the tide was coming in or out, so we got back in the sea and swam back, it was a bit more difficult going back, but we reach the boat in no time at all. 

We all got back on the boat, everyone so much cooler after our swim, and off we went again to another bay.  Bob had taken some music, and the next thing we knew he was playing music from his phone through Abdi's huge speakers, and firstly we were going along to "I am sailing" and then the Titanic tunes, oh we laughed, especially when Lizzie and Automan, followed by Bob and I had our photos taken at the front of the boat doing the pose that Leonardo De Caprio and Kate Winslett did.  We were all in high spirits so to speak, very funny indeed.  Haven't seen the photos yet, goodness knows what we will look like! By about midday, we thought time for some liquid refreshment, Abdi had started to prepare lunch, and the smell from the kitchen below was lovely.  We were getting very hungry by this time, (maybe I should have eaten that "bird" egg this morning!) Now the question was should I have a soft drink or an alcoholic one? Looked at Lizzie, but really it was a "no brainer". Our drinks were ordered and lunch was served, and wow what a spread he did.  We had chicken curry, rice, carrot and egg salad, an aubergine dish, lovely white fish, calamari, mixed salad, ezme (which was very hot indeed), tzatziki and bread, it was all superb.

After lunch, another swim and off we went to find another bay for swimming.  Mid afternoon, fruit was served, oh how we were enjoying our day, and being looked after on this trip. Our last stop was Frank Bay, where the water was freezing, apple tea and coffee with cake and biscuits, was feeling so full by this time, but managed a couple of biscuits though.  We had one more swim, and we were back off to Kalkan.  It was 6.10pm when we got back to the mooring, 8 hours at sea! We had such fun and had all had a fabulous day.  We have booked a private moonlight tour for Saturday week on Pina X as we all loved it so much! We said goodbye to everyone, and went back to the hotel, I have to say it was the slowest walk up that hill, as we were very tired and very very hot.  Back at the Dream, we went straight in the pool to cool off, it was seriously hot today, apparently getting hotter for the rest of the week! The temperature is in the 40s!

Back to our room for a fix of the air con we thought, but when we got upstairs, there was a power cut again! oh no, I showered, very strange having a shower in the dark, but I managed to do so.  After about 30 minutes it came back on, so we were cool again. 

We were not that hungry but needed just a little snack! so at 9.30pm, we thought we would just pop to Ada Okabasi again.  The temperature gauge was still reading 34 degrees! boy was it hot.  The restaurant was very busy, but we managed to get a table, we ordered chicken wings and chicken shish, with all the bread and salad and free mezze, a large bottle of water, and complimentary fruit at the end of the meal, and it was 30TL! our little snack turned into a big meal, but it was delicious.   :D   

Back to hotel for us it was, we were absolutely exhausted, but had had the most wonderful day today.  Our heads hit the pillow and the next thing I knew it was 6.40am! hey that's good for me, a 20 minute lie in this morning!

Market day today, we need to purchase another 2 Beatspills for the young ones at home, and definitely a chilling by the pool day,and hopefully a pedicure at the Pirat Coiffure later this evening.

Our holiday seems to be going so quickly now but still quite a few things to fit in.  Asian Gate is booked for Saturday evening, so looking forward to that, as have heard good reports on it, car hire still pending but hopefully if we can get one, will visit Kas and Islamlar, waiting for one to become available, maybe Friday or Sunday they have said. Saklikent on Tuesday, and 2 more boat trips to come!

Sorry this post is probably a bit long today and hopefully not too boring, but am sure Lizzie will be filling in all the gaps later with her very  funny additions which make us laugh out loud!!!

Until tomorrow folks ....................

Shirl  :D

(By the way, Bob keeps saying don't keep putting Shirley, everyone will think your name is really Shirley!!! Oh how we laugh!) x

Post by: Lizilu20 on August 14, 2014, 06:19:52 AM
Lovely shirl. We had a fab day didn't we  ;D ;D ;D
Post by: Haybo on August 14, 2014, 06:41:44 AM
Sounds like a fab day.  Running a bit late today as we didn't get home from cinema til around 11  - on a school night (for me) too!

I just love the moon light cruises - seeing the night sky is quite emotional. According to ktln, it's gonna be hot for you today...feeling like 42 degrees.  Sounds like a shade day!
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 14, 2014, 10:17:29 AM
Great report Jayne/Shirley - loving your holiday almost as much as you are.
We really like a day out at Kaputas although we havent been since the improvements. The Dolmus stops there if you dont manage to get a car and do fancy a trip out there. The steps are a killer going up...and before the changes the only place for a drink was the little kiosk on the road or the cafe a little further along so a few trips up and down the steps were arduous in the heat :P
Post by: Babs on August 14, 2014, 11:55:39 AM
I'm loving your holiday Shirl.......thanks for sharing it with us!
Post by: Skunk on August 14, 2014, 07:18:04 PM
Sounds like you had a great day on Pina X - as you always do - this holiday keeps on coming up with more and more lovely days.  ;) :) :) :). Can't imagine why you reverted to alcoholic drinks on the boat - so unlike you two.  :angel: :angel:
Post by: Haybo on August 15, 2014, 06:14:40 AM
Has Shirl finally had a lie in? Or has Bob  interfered with the nipple?

06:11 am (uk time). Sat in my comfy chair, coffee in hand....no report....devastated.  Can Jayne make it truly "better late than never" and post before I head out the door?

Watch this space.................
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 15, 2014, 07:07:52 AM
Morning Haybo, so sorry to disappoint you this morning, no interference with the red nipple, just the wi fi was not working and I didn't open my eyes until 8.30am!!!! yeah!!!

x
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 15, 2014, 07:10:18 AM
Morning

On waking this morning, I thought to myself, it's flipping bright in our room this morning! like someone was shining a torch in my face, I couldn't believe it, it was 8.30am! I've had a 2 hour lie in, yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woke OH up to tell him my news! bit grumpy he seemed on waking him!!!

Made some coffee and blog time, but no internet connection  >:( >:( >:(

Thursday - Down to breakfast, eggy bread today! just toast and cream cheese for me today, still full from our feast the previous day.

Market Day - up we trekked, all of 5 minutes away, but up that steep back hill again behind the hotel, think we managed a quicker pace this week though.  It was 10am, a bit later this week and it was boiling hot, we were stopped at the entrance by the guy selling the Lemon Cologne, and it was a welcome relief when he sprayed it all over us blowing as he did to cool us down on the back of our necks, sounds a bit weird, but it really does cool you down!

Off to find the Beats stall.  The Turkish man recognised us from last week, and you could see his eyes raise as we approached him.  I think he thought we were bringing it back, no we said, we would like to buy another 2, for the kids for Christmas presents. 10 minutes later, after he had blasted us out with the sound, a black and a pink one were purchased, and some cases to put them in.  When we turned round there must have been at least 10 people looking at them, again he said to us we brought him good luck, I think he sold quite a few in that short space of time.

Up to the hardware stall to buy some more plastic storage boxes for the apartment, we bumped into Automan and his youngest daughter, was happy to see that she was looking much better today after her sea sickness day on the boat, but poor Lizzie was poorly now  :( :( so no antics for us today! I hope your feeling better today Lizzie.

We were melting by this time, so back to the hotel, for a chill out day around the pool. Put our things in the room, a quick change, collected Waltina and straight into the pool, where we stayed until 5.30pm.  There were very few people around, and it was lovely.

We had planned on another picnic on the beach tonight, but we were so hot and still tired from the previous day, we decided we would still get our picnic and walk up the apartment and sit on the balcony with a bottle of wine. A hot spit roasted chicken, cheese, salad, and that lovely bread later, and some fruit and wine of course, we were there.  Put the music on, poured the wine, Beats playing and watched the sun go down.  It was a lovely way to spend an evening.  Got back to the hotel at 11pm, shattered again, but another lovely day was had.

Shirley x

Post by: kalkan4eva on August 15, 2014, 10:03:02 AM
I love those days when you do absolutely nothing because you can.....!
Thanks for posting, Jayne/Shirley - loving your reports
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 15, 2014, 12:02:07 PM
Sounds like you two 2 to  ;D had a fab day yesterday and your balcony meal sounds perfect too. Sorry I missed you at the market, sadly I was otherwise engaged  :'(
Post by: Haybo on August 15, 2014, 07:08:35 PM
Jayne, I'm so glad to hear you are finally relaxing. What are your plans for Saturday? We need you to wave to us.....maybe before lunch set Asian Garry?
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 15, 2014, 09:46:56 PM
Asian Garry.......??
That did make me laugh :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: Haybo on August 15, 2014, 10:02:19 PM
Don't you just love this predictive text thing...why Garry! Why would that be more likely than gate?  God help me!

Good night all! ( before I do owt else daft!)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 16, 2014, 07:06:36 AM
Morning everyone

Well another lie in this morning, 8.30am again, definitely needed after our day yesterday.

Friday - Must shave my legs today I thought, and this proved more difficult than I had anticipated! The shower in our bathroom is very nice, but not very big, it has the curved glass type doors, so trying to bend down to do your legs when you are 5 foot 10 and half with the door closed was impossible! so I had to open the door to finish the job in hand, and as you can imagine it was quite a funny sight with my rear end sticking out of the shower!!

Down to breakfast, boiled eggs today! really not that hungry this morning, so just had some toast bread as they like to call it!

Kas was our location today, up the bus station we went, the Dolmus run frequently to and from Kas, 6TL per person each way. We boarded the bus, and off we went, we met a couple who we had met 3 years ago at the Samira Gardens as it was then, and had a nice chat to them on our journey.  35 minutes later we arrived at the harbour, disembarked and off we went to explore.  The old town was the first stop, such lovely shops, we bought a few things for the apartment, mainly things to hang on the walls, but something different, and some of the nice stripey towels, so we were pleased.  Next stop a lovely spice shop, as we approached the young lad in the shop ran to the back of the shop and before we knew it thrust 2 glasses of hot apple tea in our hands, he was such a lovely boy, I don't even like apple tea, but felt obliged to drink it as he was so kind. BBQ spices, chicken spices and a bag of crushed chillies later, we were off to the next shop. It just happened to be another BAG shop, there are so many in Kas, I couldn't believe it.  I made my purchase in no time at all, a lovely black leather Mulberry Clutch bag, I was so happy! Bob doesn't seem to understand at all, he said, I don't know why everyone needs so many bags!!!! Just a man thing I guess lol!

Time for refreshments next we thought, so back down to the harbour and picked the best location to watched the goings on, with plenty of shade.  Lovely restaurant run by an Italian, who was super friendly.  Bob and I are really into our coffee, and what he served us was truly delicious.  Bob got talking, as he does! and before I knew it, the owner had taken Bob behind the counter to show him his coffee machine!

Now what shall we do next, beach in Kas or back on the Dolmus and stop off at Akcagerme Plaj on the way back.  We went for a wander to look at the boats, and then saw you can get a water taxi to another beach 20 minutes away.  We paid our 15TL each, jumped on board and off we went.  What we didn't realise was that the beach we were going to was so close to Meis, absolutely fantastic views on the way, so glad we decided to go for this option.  There were lots of boats moored up in various coves as we chugged over to the beach.  20 minutes and we had arrived at Bilal's Beach.  It was quite busy, but we were shown to 2 sunbeds right by the waters edge, so perfect.  They don't charge for the sunbeds and you don't even have to buy a drink or food if you prefer not to, but of course we did! We had a lovely swim, the sea was so warm, then sunbathed, a waiter appeared and took our order for drinks, a large beer and diet coke for me (was being good today) later, and we were sorted.  The time went so quickly, and it was soon 3pm, and we were hungry, we went up the restaurant, OH had shrimps cooked in peppers, onions and garlic with the lovely rice and orzo, and I had chicken snitzel with rice, salad and a few chips, which was delicious, another large beer and water for me and we were full! Back to the sunbeds a few more swims and before we knew it, it was 5.30pm  It was sadly time to say goodbye to this beautiful place, but I can  assure you we will be back for a repeat visit next year and thoroughly recommend if you are in Kas, then go there too if you have the time.  Back on the boat we got, I hadn't bargained for choppy seas, but my goodness it was choppy, only for the middle section of the trip though where you are in the open sea, but we survived, Bob was laughing at me, and what I didn't realise he videod me on his phone hanging on for dear life and muttering under my breath! We had seen a beautiful gullet anchored up, and when we got nearer, we realised it was a Thomson boat, it was lovely. Back on dry land, off we went to get the Dolmus back to Kalkan.

We had had the most beautiful day, we were very tired, but happy! We arrived back to the bus station around 7pm, and a quick look in Bim and Migros, stopped at the cash machine, and back to the hotel.

After a shower and a little rest, we got ready and off we went to Kaya to meet Lizzie and Automan.  So pleased to see that Lizzie was much better, they had just finished their meal, so we all went down to Mercaz cafe for a drink.  We've never been in there before, but it really is pleasant sitting there watching everyone go by, and it's also opposite BSG, so couldn't be in a better position!! didn't dare go in though, am all bagged out now I think. We had a lovely evening with the Gang, by about 11pm, Lizzie was feeling a bit tired, I think the day was catching up on her now, although she was much better, I don't think she was feeling 100%, so off they went back to their villa, leaving us to finish off our drinks. We were feeling tired too, but Keenan appeared and sat down to have a chat, Bob bought him a Fanta, and we chatted for a while, such a lovely man.  We left the Cafe, and Bob said lets just have a look at Botanik Garden Bar just up above where we were, it was buzzing in there, such a fab atmosphere, we couldn't resist having one for the road, it would have been rude not to! It was getting on for 1am now, and I really was tired, so back to the hotel it was.

The moral of my blog today - a fantastic day was had by all! 

Shirley x

PS. Haybo, Asian Garry, that made us chuckle! I am always doing things like that with predictive text, send them, and think what on earth!!!!  Yes, will do a webcam pose just before Asian Gate tonight, will whatsap you later with a time, when I have spoken to The Gang, we have booked for 7.30pm, so am guessing around 7.20pm, the webcam by the School at the roundabout. 
Post by: Haybo on August 16, 2014, 08:24:28 AM
What a nice day....I'm guessing the island was turkish or here would be all sorts of passport issues.  Book us in for that next summer!

I must have mis remembered your post about Asian 'Garry' .  I thought you were going for lunch.  Sadly the sun will be behind you at the time you suggest - we need a day time slot really. 
Before you go home I am going to leave a post uncorrected....it is bonkers the amount of correcting you have to do to the auto-correct!
Post by: Chris_S on August 16, 2014, 12:32:50 PM
Why not just turn auto-correct off?

Or would that be taking away half the fun?
Post by: Haybo on August 16, 2014, 01:23:01 PM
OMG...how do I do that...this is great news!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 16, 2014, 02:53:54 PM
So sorry I was such a party pooper last night but I'm putting my dancing shoes on tonight so keep your fingers crossed. Your day sounded so fab Jayne, wish we could have  been there with you. Very much looking forward to Asian Garry tonight (sorry Haybo, couldn't resist!) ;D
Post by: Skunk on August 16, 2014, 03:45:47 PM
Sounds a really lovely day and the photos you sent us look great. :) :) :) Definitely on the list, which is reaching astronomical proportions now - no way we will be able to do everything on it in two weeks! Have a good meal tonight! Sxx Glad to hear Lizzie is better BTW. :)
Post by: Haybo on August 16, 2014, 04:08:29 PM
I shall call it Asian Garry for evermore!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 16, 2014, 04:14:36 PM
Ha ha Haybo, love it! we need to find another slot for our Web cam!

Skunk those photos were taken by a very naughty Automan!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Lizzie you weren't a party pooper last night, but so glad your dancing shoes are out for tonight, what with your shoes and my newly pedicured pink size 8's today, we will be on top form!!!

Shirl xx
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 16, 2014, 07:33:24 PM
Don't you just love finding something new....?
Really enjoyed this report Jayne/Shirley as we are not big fans of Kas, but your day out there sounded perfect.
Plus you have finally been to Merkez  :)
We really loved Botanik this year and they make great cocktails. Sulyeman from Pink Beach Club has moved there too.....such a lovely guy.
Enjoy Asian Garry  :)
Post by: Haybo on August 17, 2014, 07:11:30 AM
Expecting great things...according to the front page of EK forum

Users active in past 20 minutes:
Haybo, Automan, Lizilu20, Bob & Jayne

Better get the kettle on for a nice coffee and a read of how things went at Asian Garry .
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 17, 2014, 07:13:14 AM
Well it's Sunday, and a nice lie in again this morning has been had.  OH still sleeping.

Saturday - No rushing around this morning, a leisurely breakfast watching the boats go out from the breakfast terrace (fried eggs by the way, and they were delicious).  After
breakfast a little dip in the pool and a relax on Waltina, oh she is getting some
attention! everyone asks where we got her, how much and wow that looks fab!!! One family went straight up to Can Can and purchased one within half an hour of seeing her!  8) by about 10.30 it was so hot at the pool, we thought we would go down to the beach as there would hopefully be a breeze, but no, when we arrived it was even hotter, with no breeze. We had taken Waltina down for her first sea trial, so much fun in the sea too.  I am taking her on Yildiz 2 on Wednesday, and regretted I didn't take her last week on Pina X when the sea was so calm. We only stayed an hour or so at the beach, but actually couldn't stand the heat any longer, so we decided to call in at the Pirat Hotel to see the boys, we have become friends with them since our stay at the hotel last year, a lovely bunch of people. We were greeted like old friends. We ordered drinks and sat and relaxed, and then had a cool off in the pool.  Suddenly I said to Bob, where is Waltina, and then remembered I had propped her up on the magazine rack outside the shop below the hotel when Bob stopped to look at fishing tackle earlier! I lept out of the pool, and raced downstairs, and there she was still where I had left her! Phew.....

I had booked a pedicure in the salon below, so left OH there while I went downstairs to be pampered.  It cost 30TL, so much cheaper than at home, and my feet, I have to say are looking really good and I now have lovely neatly pedicured pink toes!!!

Mid afternoon by this time, so back to the hotel for a swim and afternoon nap before our Asian Gate feast tonight.  We had decided not to eat lunch as was so looking forward to a nice curry, but was getting very hungry as the afternoon went on! A quick trip up the road to see the new Carrefour Supermarket that had opened yesterday, when we got there, it was still closed, they were in there stacking all the shelves, but it looked like it wouldn't be ready for a few days.

Good news that Lizzie was feeling much better, so we were all ready to party the night
away.  We met at the restaurant at 7.30pm, our table was ready for us, and my goodness we were in for a treat.  Lovely people that own it, they were so attentive and kind.  We ordered our drinks and sat and chatted about our day, everyone was relaxed and happy. After about half an hour the buffet was ready, and they called us to go first.  Well we were certainly in for a treat, the food was absolutely delicious.  There were all the usual things, popadums, samosas, chutneys etc, 4 different curries, rice, dahl and so the list goes on.  2 trips to the buffet later, I was so full, and maybe shouldn't have perhaps gone up for seconds, but it was so delicious I couldn't resist!  We were given a complimentary Ameretto after our meal.  We paid the bill 38TL per head for the meal, very good value for the superb food that is served.

It was still so hot and no air, I think today has been the hottest day since we have been here, the humidity is very high, Ewan in Chillies told us it is 70% humidity today, even he was suffering with the heat as we walked by.

We left the restaurant and all wandered down the Botanik bar again, got a table by a
fan to cool us down and ordered our drinks.   I was still so full, that unfortunately I
could only manage a bottle of water, and poor Lizzie now feeling so much better was ready to party, the tables had turned tonight, I was flagging and she was raring to go!! (sorry Lizzie)!  ;) We had a fun time though, the boys were on top form as usual, and Lizzie's girls got to sample a cocktail which I think they enjoyed.  Around 11pm, what with the heat, so much lovely food, and us all yawning because we were so tired (well all bar Lizzie), we thought we would make tracks back to our beds! As we wandered back, the streets were still buzzing, such a lovely thing to walk by the restaurants and see everyone having such a lovely time.  We'd had yet another lovely evening with the Gang! but unfortunately my dancing shoes would have to come out another night! ........ (we have all decided to book Akin for our last night, and last year we really were dancing in the street there!! so maybe my shoes will come out then!  :D :D :D :D :D :D Watch this space.

Today we are not sure what we are doing, we were thinking of going to Patara, but as the weather has been so hot, we may shelve our plans, will check back in tomorrow and fill you in!

Shirley x

PS - K4E, yes we loved Merkez, and also walked along the top road last night to Botanik and saw Bourganville Restaurant, which we had forgotten about, so hopefully will get to try that too.  We loved that restaurant last year when we visited.

Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 17, 2014, 07:14:51 AM
Morning Haybo, ha ha ha! that has just made me laugh, I've just done my blog! Bobbies still sleeping!!!! x
Post by: Haybo on August 17, 2014, 07:48:34 AM
Good work Jayne. We still didn't get around to walking along the top road...we always seemed to be on a mission!

2 weeks won't be enough next year!
Post by: Skunk on August 17, 2014, 12:44:30 PM
Glad you had a good meal. Must try Botanik next year, it looks lovely.
Post by: Chris_S on August 17, 2014, 01:07:03 PM
Haybo:

Turning off predictive text is really device dependent.  It'll be in a 'Settings' choice somewhere, or Google your device with something like'turn off predictive text'.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :(
Post by: Haybo on August 17, 2014, 01:45:42 PM
Done. Thanks chris s! Any mistakes in the future are all my own work!
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 17, 2014, 11:09:01 PM
I'm feeling exhausted by your description of the heat and I'm not even there  :) I find August stifling and draining at the same time....it really is too hot to do anything other than lie on a water hammock in the pool. Boat trips are the only way to catch a breeze on those super hot days so good job you are out with Osman soon.
We loved Botanik although it had literally just opened when we were there in June and was really quiet, looks busy now though. Great space, beautifully laid out and nice vibe to it.
Glad you liked Asian Garry too ( sorry Haybo  :-*). Buffets are dangerous for me as I don't have one of those buttons that warns you you're full and just carry on eating until I'm fit to burst :laugh: you did well to walk past your Hotel, my bed would have been calling me.
Look forward to hearing more about your stay, thanks for posting.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 18, 2014, 06:31:34 AM
Good Morning

Sunday - This is how events unfolded!

A leisurely start to the day, breakfast finishes at 10am, we were umming and arring about whether to skip it and just go out for a late brunch and Bob's phone went off, it was Alper from Egerentals saying when are you coming to collect the car! somewhere along the lines we had our wires crossed because we didn't think he had one available! We quickly got ready, and off we went to collect it!

Within 15 minutes we were all set for the off. We had really wanted a car to just visit all the local beauty spots, but where do we go first!

1st Stop - Air conditioning full blast in the car and we were on our way, Patara Beach it is then.  When we got to the Patara turnoff, we thought we would go and take a peak at the Pink Beach Club.  The road to get there is something unmade to say the least, but we made it.  There were a few cars in the car park, but not many people there.  They made us very welcome, but we only stayed to have a look round, went down the beach and the waves were rolling in, but we managed to have a swim.  There were a lot of locals swimming  in the bit where the sea goes into a river, having lots of fun. 

2nd Stop - Back in the car after an hour or so and onto Lavanta.  Back up the hill we went and stopped at Lavanta.  The views are amazing.  They have a beautiful infinity swimming pool.  We had a drink and another swim and took lots of photos while sunbathing round the pool. 

3rd Stop - Down to Akbel Market next, fortunately it was Sunday, so we knew it would be on.  We have visited here before, a typical Turkish local market (well Bazaar) as they were all calling it.  Wandered through, talking to a few people on the way, stopped at the bread stall and brought some sesame sticks. Suddenly as we were walking along we could hear someone calling out Bob Bob Bob, we turned round and there was the lovely man Rasheed from Adana Okabasi selling fish from his van, he had told us he is there every week, and he insisted on showing us every fish that he had for sale.  He went to shake Bob's hand, and Bob declined jokingly saying he would smell of fish if he did!

I really was in for a treat next, lunch! They were selling Doner Kebabs from the back of a truck! all freshly made with the doner meat on the skewer, I was a bit wary, but Bob said it will be fine.  We were shown to a seat, more like a decorating plastic stool, and our order was placed! Oh I was thinking I hope this isn's going to affect my tummy, things have been good so far this holiday!! It arrived, half a loaf, filled with salad, chillies and lovely fresh chicken doner meat.  It was delicious! I have a theory of the 2 hour rule with food! so I found myself looking at the time, it was 2.20pm, if we were  okay by 4.20pm then it would be okay.  But somehow I knew that it was, because it tasted so fresh. We paid our 10TL for the whole meal including a large bottle of water and off we went.  We walked back to the car laughing as I said to Bob, you know how to treat me don't you!  :D :D

4th Stop - Next onto The Hidden Garden on the way to Islamlar.  We had seen this place a few times when we had driven up.  It has log cabins for holiday rentals and a restaurant and bar, and a lovely swimming pool with a beautiful garden.  We parked our car and went in, to be greeted by a lovely Turkish family, we were taken down to the pool and garden area. It was beautiful, quite a few people there, we had a drink and a swim, I tried out the hammock that was tied between the trees, not sure whether it looked very strong, so didn't stay in it for long! It was very very hot there, so we cooled off under the umbrellas. If you haven't been and have a car I would really recommend this place for a change from the beach.

5th Stop - Back down to Kalkan, and a quick stop off to see Lizzie and Automan, lovely to see them, and they made us welcome as usual.  We had another dip in their pool this time, such amazing views they have. I couldn't resist the offer of a nice cold glass of wine, it went down without touching the sides!

6th Stop - Kapatus Beach to watch the sun go down! We arrived and the parking was well all I can describe it as was total chaos! the jeep safaries were all there, scooters, vans, cars, bikes.  We manage to get a space though in the end.  Down the mountain of steps we went, Bob taking photos on the way.  We got to the bottom, and there were lots of people there, the surf on the sea was fantastic, and the colour of the sea was literally turquoise! We were so glad we had made the effort to come here.  We weren't sure about going right in as it really was rough, but the sea was like a bath.  I went in half way, and Bob went right in, but soon came out again when the biggest wave came crashing in bringing Bob with him! We decided then to sit on the sun mats and watch, it was fabulous, everyone was having picnics, the lady was still there making her pancakes, we watched 2 beach boys carry a double battered old freezer down all of those steps on their backs, goodness know how they managed that! We watched the sun go down behind the rocks, and just said to each other, what a fantastic day we had had, but time to go now sadly! Back up the steps we went, not as quickly I might add as when we climbed down them! I lost count at a 130, but am sure there are quite a few more!

7th Stop - We wanted to pop into Guru's Place to pick up a leaflet for his cookery school for maybe another holiday.  Haybo and her husband had told us how good it was.  We popped in, and as usual were made very welcome by the lovely Turkish people.  We had a quick chat and off we went.

8th and final stop - Dinner! It was almost 8pm, we were very tired but also very hungry! now do we go back to the hotel and shower or do we just go for dinner like beach tramps, or that is what I felt like! we decided to go for the latter! a quick brush of my hair, a change of bikini top as Bob was driving along, managed to do that with some dignity too! and I felt like a new woman! obviously didn't look it though! We knew where we wanted to go, Our Home in Ortalan. It is a small Turkish family run restaurant.  We had seen it as Easter one lunchtime, and it was packed with all the locals from the Banks and offices going in, so we thought it must be really good food! Well it certainly was. We were just going to have a main course, but thought we would just order a small starter to share, so ordered humous to share, we were in for a bit of a shock, because when it arrived, so did a plate of borek, 2 huge courgette fritters, olives, 3 different types of dipping oils with balsamic and bread!  OMG I thought here we go again, we are going to be so full.  It was like a main course! It was so delicious, but I had learn't my lesson the previous night, don't eat too much Shirley!!! It really was fresh, lovely homecooked food.  Our mains were next, I had a shrimp casserole with the best homemade chips so far this holiday! The casserole was boiling hot, so it gave me time for my starter to go down before I tucked into it, but when I did it was so tasty.  Bob had the mixed grill and his was just as good.
We were offered complimentary Turkish coffee at the end of the meal, and the husband and wife came out to have a chat with us, such lovely hospitality, and we are so glad we went to sample their food.  The bill came to 102TL which also included 3 glasses of wine for me! and 2 soft drinks for OH (sorry Bob, he was driving!). 

It was just gone 10pm, we couldn't believe we had been out for over 12 hours, although really tired by now, we had really had a wonderful day! We were going to go into town for a nightcap, but were so tired and still looking like beach tramps, we just drove back to the hotel, parked the car and had a  shower and within half an hour I was asleep!

Shirley x
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 18, 2014, 06:37:32 AM
What a fantastic day you had Shirley. You certainly packed loads into it and it was lovely to see you both as usual. X
Post by: Haybo on August 18, 2014, 06:48:03 AM
What an action packed day! It all sounds wonderful..except the steps to the beach! When we drove back from Kas, the parking was a bit crazy! I must say the image of you whipping your bikini top off as you drove into town, makes me wonder how Bob kept the car on the road! Great fun!  Well, it's raining here in Royal Sutton Coldfield and another week of crazies at work looms, the good news is i have friday off and am heading down to Dorset for the long weekend, then its another short week after that! Small pleasures!  Have a great day all, looking forward to reading all about it.......
Post by: Skunk on August 18, 2014, 08:55:42 AM
Sounds like you had a very interesting day Shirley! It looks as if it might be a bit cooler today according to my weather app? Have a great day - are you hiring the car for another day?
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 18, 2014, 11:10:15 AM
Whipping that bikini top off was like a major operation haybo! Have fun in Dorset, we will be back there next week! Skunk, no only hired the car for one day we took it back this morning, but well worth having though. The weather is still hot, but very breezy and a few dark clouds but sunny at the moment!
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 18, 2014, 11:27:43 AM
wow....how to pack a hundred things into one day! I'm totally impressed. I like the sound of Kaputas at sunset, sounds wonderful. Anyone know what time the last dolmus goes back to Kalkan?
I would be utterly shattered doing all that in one day given the heat. I've heard a few people talk about Hidden Garden and it sounds lovely - another added to our todo list for next year :) We will be doing loads of new things thanks to your great blog - we might have to come for more than three weeks to fit it all in alongside the days of doing absolutely nothing  ::)
Love it!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 18, 2014, 12:51:06 PM
K4E we are having such a fab holiday, one of the best! although exhausting yesterday, it was truly worth it having that car.  Just off for more fun in the sun now! Reports will follow tomorrow  :D :D :D
Post by: Babs on August 18, 2014, 04:07:17 PM
You're doing so many lovely things that our to do list is growing for October! It's amazing how you can visit Kalkan so many times and still find lots to do isn't it...or indeed relax and do nothing if that suits.  :laugh:
Post by: keith on August 18, 2014, 08:11:13 PM
We have thoroughly enjoyed reading your reports and makes us feel even more excited to be back in Kalkan on 1st September. Printed off our boarding passes today and finished doing all of the ironing yesterday. Everything is set and can't wait to be on our way.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 19, 2014, 05:39:30 AM
Morning everyone! early one for me again this morning, 7am! Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I get as much pleasure reading them, as it sounds like you all do hopefully  reading my blog, so thank you.  :D  I am so glad that I have done a blog this year, every year, I have really mean't to do it, and never actually got round to it, mainly because of the little red nipple if I am honest, but hey I have mastered that now, I am a whizz on our mini laptop!!

Monday - The plan was to meet up with Lizzie and Automan for breakfast at Ada Patisserie Cafe and Bistro, but unfortunately as Lizzie has said, their youngest was feeling poorly, so Bob and I still went on the way to the drop the car back to Egerentals. We had walked past a few times, and it looked lovely, so we thought we'd give it a try, and very glad that we did! I wasn't feeling very hungry so just had a cheese and tomato toastie, which was actually 2 rounds of toasties, and also came with a dish of olives and a side plate of tomatoe and cucumber, it was lovely. Bob had fried eggs, with olives and tomatoes and cucumber, sounds strange, but one of the locals was having that when we walked in, the eggs were seriously huge and as yellow as yellow could be and according to Bob fantastic!    We ordered 2 filter coffees and
2 freshly squeezed orange juice to go with it.  Whilst in there, the power went off, so we had ordered just in time! We were now thinking about the ice cream that we had bought earlier and put in the hotel freezer and hoping that the power would soon be back on.  We were off to a bbq this afternoon and we had bought this to go with the Baklava that we had  bought from the Bakery, you really need to go there if you haven't already, it was a hive of industry at 9.30am, and the smell as you walk in is amazing! They have so much choice of fantastic breads and pastries.

Back to the hotel we went for a chill out round the pool.  It was very windy today, and the forecast said maybe a shower, late morning there was a big black cloud and the sun kept disappearing for a few minutes on end, but by lunchtime the wind had eased and it was blistering hot again.  The power return at midday, so our ice cream was saved! We had a lovely time swimming and sunbathing and around 3pm we were off to get ready for the bbq.

Automan picked us up at 4pm, and off we went to their friends, who were staying in a villa just above the D400.  It is a beautiful villa, with a fabulous view of the harbour.  So pleased to see that their youngest was now feeling a lot better thank goodness.  :D We had a lovely afternoon/evening, the wine was flowing, the food was delicious, and everyone was in high spirits!!!  ;D ;D and we even managed to get the ice cream there without it melting! It was 10pm before we knew it, and we were all very merry! but it was time to say goodbye and make tracks home.  We thanked everyone for a lovely time, and off we set with the Gang for the walk back down into town.  It was very steep in places, and as I looked down ahead of me,  it was like a scene out of the Sound of Music with us all trooping along in the dark! We should have really been singing the hills are alive though!!!  We went over the lower bridge, we have never walked over there before, but it didn't take us long at all, and before we knew it we were back down at the Taxi rank.

We said goodbye to everyone and off we went back to the hotel.  Another lovely day and evening was had by all!

Saklikent today, will fill you in tomorrow ........

Shirley x
Post by: Haybo on August 19, 2014, 06:08:02 AM
Oh jayne are you going to do the river rafting? Watch your bum in the shallow bits!  I loved sitting at the cafes there having lunch.  Not fussed about the gorge or the rafting, but the relaxed bohemian atmosphere was wondeful!  Iam going to be bereft when you head home.....back to the daily mail on line for my morning read...boo! At least i know the stuff you write is a actual fact!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 19, 2014, 06:34:06 AM
Haybo, no river rafting for me, I dread to think what I would look like if I fell out!  ::)

Post by: Skunk on August 19, 2014, 09:29:16 AM
Just be a bit careful - there are storms forecast for this afternoon. Have a great day though. Your bbq sounds good fun. Glad Lizzie's girl is feeling better. Sxx
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 19, 2014, 11:37:12 AM
You're all so brave walking down from Kiziltas in the dark....we've done it a few times but after drinks its a bit dodgy as some of the paths are distinctly uneven and in the dark are VERY uneven :P
Glad you all made it back into town in one piece.
We've been to Ada Patisserie as their Turkish breakfasts are highly recommended  - and the breakfast was indeed lovely, but we've never been back because so many of the locals who were there at the same time as us were smoking their heads off - I mean they didnt even stop to eat  :( It was too offputting to eat my breakast through a haze of cigarette smoke that it put us off. Never mind  ::)
Enjoy Saklikkent today - look forward to hearing all about it tomorrow.
Post by: Pompeyalbie on August 19, 2014, 11:44:46 AM
Our Home is just around the corner from the villa we rent & we called in there for out last breakfast back in May and can confirm it's lovely, no frills but the food is good & ample plus the lady who ran it cannot do enough for you. Not tried it for an evening meal or lunch but the Turkish breakfast is really nice.
Love the stories and am now planning to go add Islamlar to the bucket list in October it sounds good.
Post by: pattaya on August 19, 2014, 02:45:49 PM
Where is our house ? I've tried to find it once before .
Heard so many good things about it . I'm back out on the 6th Sept.
loving the holiday reports .. X
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 19, 2014, 04:19:46 PM
Easiest way is up the hill opposite Thursday market (with café Ev at the bottom on right) Turn right at the top, go past The school..it's just on the left...or at the other end you can drive along road from Bim supermarket 150 yards ;)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 20, 2014, 06:39:35 AM
Where do I begin? I feel a song coming on here  ;D

Blue Lizzard's directions to Our Home are exactly right, worth the treck up the hill though even if you haven't got a car. 

Tuesday - Saklikent

Breakfast (sausage and eggs today), yummy!

We were picked up at 10.30am coach already half full, and then up to Lizzie and Automan's to collect them.  The bus now full and off we went.  Bit of a fast drive to Saklikent, but we all made it there safely!

I love this place, and this morning as we drove along and saw the river rafters winging their way down, it looked beautiful.  On arrival, our Guide seemed a little disorganised, sending the rafters off in one direction and with his limited English, we weren't sure whether we were doing the Gorge first or after lunch or in actual fact what our agenda was.  We finally understood that we had free time until the rafters returned and then lunch and then the gorge! So off we went to find the ottoman seating by the river, and dangling our feet in the water, boy was it cold! but also very refreshing.  The weather forecast today was maybe showers, but it was boiling again, a few clouds appeared again, but soon disappeared. 

The river rafters reappeared and seemed to have had a great time, I was wishing now that I had been brave enough to have gone too, Lizzie and I both laughed at the thought of us charging down the river in one of these and capsizing! what a funny sight that would be  :D :D :D :D.  Time for lunch, we had the choice of the usual thing "chicken, fish or meatballs"! We all opted for chicken, and very nice it was too.  2 skewers, and a good selection of the normal Turkish salads, bulgar wheat, aubergines etc.  Ottoman seating for lunch isn't the most comfortable way of eating, but it was okay, although these days I seem to have to get on my knees first to stand upright!!!

Our slot for the Gorge was here (at long last), it would have been much better to have done the gorge first and lunch at the end, on the previous occasions we have been, that has always been the case.

There were a lot of people going into the gorge, we were given our tickets, donned our lovely sensible beach shoes and off we all set.  We walked along the bridge and we were there.  The water was gushing down, there was no rope this year to hang onto, but we all managed to clamber down the rocks and safely across the torrents of water into the gorge.  We followed our guide, there were about 18 of us, walking through the icy cold water, Lizzie, Automan and their girls were loving it, we were so pleased, as they hadn't been before.  We walked quite a long way along, and suddenly there were huge bolders, with a narrow entrance to go on further, I thought time for Shirl to turn round at this point, and thank goodness, Lizzie took one look at me and said the same!! Her girls looked very disappointed as wanted to go on further, so Automan and the girls went on and Bob chauffered Lizzie and I back! When we got back to the deep water at the entrance to go back across, Lizzie and I held onto each other so tightly that it looked like we were doing the Waltz trying to get across. On reaching the other side, Lizzie went first up the rocks to the top, and my goodness she went up the rocks like a mountain goat until she reached the top, very impressive, I followed suit, but not sure I looked quite as ladylike as she had been! Bob was behind us, making sure we didn't fall, goodness know what I must have looked like from behind!

We were safely at the top thank goodness.  We sat and waited and laughed about our experience and waited for the rest of the Gang to return.  After about half an hour or so, they were safely back, and had thoroughly enjoyed it.  They had reached the point where the water is up to your shoulders, and you have to swim the next bit (oh I am so glad I didn't get that far, I would have been scared). They had all really enjoyed it. 

We made our way out of the Gorge by which time it was about 4.45pm, we were supposed to be leaving at 4.30pm, as I said earlier things were very disorganised, we had a well wanted drink, as we were all so thirsty, bought the fab photos that had been taken in the gorge, and went back to the bus for our return to Kalkan, only to be told it would be another 15 minutes, as a family of Russians on the other bus had decided to go for a meal!!! After a while they returned, we all got on our buses, and off we went.  By this time, we were all tired, our driver stopped off on the D400 for us to look at "that view" as we drove down, always such a wonderful sight, and always take photos, goodness knows how many we have ever taken! and 5 minutes later we were safely back in Kalkan.  First stop Lizzie and Automan's to drop them off, said our goodbyes and back down to our hotel. 

6pm, tired, but what a lovely time we had all had.  We weren't sure what we were doing tonight, we needed to go into town to pick something up at one of the gift shops, book a table at Akin for our last night, so thought we would go down to Fener for dinner as it was all nearby.  Suddenly we thought a curry would be nice, and in a flash decided we would go to Asian Gate again, as it was so nice on Saturday.  On arrival, we were shown the menus and before we knew it, we had decided we would have Chinese! We were hungry by this time, we ordered chicken spring rolls and prawn crackers to start.  Shrimp chowmein, salt and pepper chicken, chicken with cashew nuts, and egg fried rice for main, and boy of boy was it good.  We watched all the meals coming out, some on sizzling platters, some not, and it all looked fantastic.  Our bill came to 114TL.  We couldn't manage all of what we had ordered, and they even asked if we wanted to take it home, but couldn't as we are in the hotel. Full to the brim (again), thank goodness I haven't got on those scales! we made our way back to the hotel.  It was only 10pm, but our bed was calling, our day had been so good, but we were now exhausted!!

Yildiz 2 today  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Shirley x

Post by: Haybo on August 20, 2014, 06:51:34 AM
Gosh, you are certainly making some lovely memories on your holiday. Yildiz 2 will be lovely, althoug i found the beds a bit too high for a ladylike 'mount'...still, i am a bit of a hobbit.....you should be better placed! Their kids are amazing....the little blond one has nerves of steel! Hope they make you some 'critters, ( thanks automan, thats a keeper)they were amazing on our night cruise.
Its freezing here so make sure you have a warm top to travel home in.....the market is calling.....
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 20, 2014, 10:33:46 AM
I'm really glad I'm not the only one who wimps out at Saklikent  ;D We've only ever gone under our own steam and reading your report about not doing the gorge before lunch then having to wait for inconsiderate fellow passengers reminds me why. As soon as you get into that first bit of water, if you dont have a guide one will appear like the shopkeeper in Mr Ben. Make sure you keep some money in a waterproof bag to tip them. Its a great place to escape the heat in the height of summer and those rubber shoes you hire are hilarious - well the mens are :laugh: :laugh:
You are packing so much into this trip, I'm in awe of you.
Enjoy Yildiz 2 today - I'm sure you will
Post by: tortoise lady on August 20, 2014, 10:51:15 AM
I have been enjoying your blog, reading it every day.   Also reading Lizzie's, lovely to know you have managed to spend lots of time together.   However your latest blog has decided me - I have never been to Saklikent and ventured down the Gorge (a bit of a wimp) and now it has definitely been crossed off my list of things to do.  I slipped in the icy waters of the gorge in Crete, came to no harm but it did put me off such things.

Continue to enjoy your holiday.   The last time I was in Kalkan in June  I said Hi to a couple staying at your apartment (they were sunbathing near the  gate so I introduced myself as a neighbour).   They were certainly enjoying their stay in your lovely Kalkan home.
Post by: Skunk on August 20, 2014, 11:39:08 AM
Sounds like another great day out - I love Saklikent although that story a few weeks of people being swept away somewhat scared me! Don't blame you for going back at that point, when we went the highest it got was up to our waists, (what waist I ask myself! ;D ;D ;D)  Did seem a funny order to do things in - lunch before the gorge. Who did you book with?
Have a lovely day on Yildiz 2 - hope you get the cauliflower yoghurt dish, I tried it at home but it just wasn't at all the same. You having a Chinese makes a change, glad it was nice. Nick will never try Chineses abroad :( :( - but maybe I can persuade him when we go back.  ;) ;)
Sxx
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 21, 2014, 05:54:08 AM
Gunaydin

Wednesday - Yildiz 2 Day! We have been looking forward to our trip on Yildiz 2 and seeing Osman and Zeynap.  No breakfast for us this morning, as still full to the brim from our Chinese last night!  We were actually running a bit late by the time we had eventually got up and showered, but managed to get down to the harbour by 10am.  Met up with the Gang, and Gang's friends and we all headed towards the Gang plank to board Yildiz 2!  8)

We departed 10 minutes later, the sun was shining, but there was a cool breeze, it couldn't have been a better day.  Frank Bay was the first port of call, we all had a lovely swim, and the sea was warm, not the normal cold top layer that you experience
when first getting in.  Back on board and coffee and tea were served, all very civilised in lovely white china cups and saucers.  We headed towards Fernez Bay now, for another swim and relax on board.  Lunch was cooking and smelt delicious, we were all very hungry as like us, Lizzie and Automan hadn't had breakfast either. 

Time for a drink we thought, Lizzie and I looked at each other, well it was 12.05pm, so definitely time! We had a rose and white wine, and they certainly went down well! We ate around 1pm, and the the food just gets better and better.  Skunk, we had the cauliflower dish, and we asked Osman for the recipe, Lizzie said she had already made it at home.  It was all absolutely delicious. After lunch and another swim, we went to the mud baths.  We all swam ashore, with Osman swimming behind us with his bucket on his head.  He ran over the rocks and filled the bucket with the mud, and brought it back to us on the beach.  There the fun really started! We slavered ourselves from head to toe, and what a funny sight we looked, standing and sitting there drying out until we were looking at least 15 years younger!! Lizzie's friend stayed on the boat, and took some photos and we are hoping that they have come out, because we all looked so funny!  ;D ;D ;D

Back on the boat, ice creams, fruit and afternoon tea was consumed, oh how we are feasted on this holiday! Off to Mouse and Snake now to see the goats, and watch the crazy people jumping off the cliffs, it was such a crazy thing to do, but very entertaining as we watched. It was time now for us all to return back to Kalkan, we were all so chilled, and as the boat went back into the harbour I looked at the view, and thought that there is no where better to be!

It was almost 6pm as we tied up at the harbour, paid our money to Osman, our shoes were lined up like soldiers on the quayside, and we were back.  Said farewell to our friends, and off up the hill we went.  Popped into Akin to book a table for our last night, and then into the lovely little gift shop opposite which is also called Akin, to pick up the whirling dervisher for my friend! they have such lovely things in there, another must for your list girls if you like gift shops, this one really has some quality things in it.  I now have my eye on a lovely glass wall plate, so may have to make a return visit! We wandered up through the town, stopped off for a drink and then back to the hotel.  What a lovely day, it couldn't have been nicer.

It was 9pm, and we were now thinking that we were a little hungry, but really didn't want to go too far, so round the corner to Hunkar Okabasi we went.  Turac and his pals were there, and as soon as he saw us, came over with his usual banter, what a lovely bunch they are.  There was quite a queue, but we waited less than 5 minutes and were shown to a table.  We had the usual, balloon bread, ezme and tzatziki for the free mezze, mixed grill for OH, medium sized chicken shish for me, 2 glasses of wine and a large bottle of water all for 69TL! how can they do it for that price, the food never fails to deliver here.  Delicious.

We paid the bill, said goodbye to the lads, and Turac said I have a present for you, he returned with a bag of Turkish coffee for us, how kind are the people here.  ;)

Our beds were calling, so we took a slow walk round the corner and we were back at the hotel.

Thursday today, oh my goodness only 5 days left of our holiday. It's market day again today, but Bob is flatly refusing to go this morning, says he has been twice this holiday, and twice is enough! lol. Going to be a chill out day today, will be reporting back tomorrow.

Shirley x

PS Tortoise lady thank you for your kind words :) , and I hope that I haven't put everyone off about going to Saklikent, I love going and will go again, but it always scares me somewhat!

Post by: Haybo on August 21, 2014, 06:01:56 AM
Another lovely day in paradise! I loved the akin shop.  We bought numbers for the house and a lovely bowl that has a sort of coral pattern inside.  I loved the silver.0/ grey plates.  They are really good value and they wrap them up so well - getting them home safely was no problem.  I also loved some of the paintings...not sure how they would fit in hand luggage!
Enjoy your chill day......back to the beach maybe?
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 21, 2014, 06:13:57 AM
Yes I could have bought so much in that shop, Haybo, will definitely have to pop back down there!  ;D ;D ;D
Post by: Skunk on August 21, 2014, 11:31:36 AM
Glad you had such a lovely day but then you couldn't fail to on Yildiz 2. Actually felt quite sentimental reading that and thinking of Osman and Zeynap and the beautiful cauliflower dish. Maybe you can pass me on the recipe when you get home. Only 5 more days!!? I can't believe how the summer has flown by. I will have to start looking for some work after the bank holiday I think ??? ??? ???.
Akin really is a beautiful shop - we have bought some lovely things in there. The restaurant used to be a fish and seafood one - all the cats used to be called with a wooden spoon and tin can at the end of service to eat up the leftovers. In those days there were about 100 and they all came running! I expect it's against health and safety now. Is it still a pizza place or have they changed it again? Have a lovely day today - we are going out to lunch near the Midsummer House restaurant to a pub on Midsummer Common by the river. I will send some pics later.  :) :) ;)
Sxx
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 21, 2014, 12:05:48 PM
Another great report, Jayne/Shirley.
Are you having a couple of days rest now...?
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 21, 2014, 02:44:17 PM
Yes we are laid round the pool at this very moment. Shear bliss. Lovely breeze and efes for Bob and a white wine for me!

:D
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 21, 2014, 10:52:33 PM
Bliss..........
Post by: Haybo on August 22, 2014, 06:43:28 AM
Err, excuse me....i've got things to do today..... Driving to Gods own county and all that..... Your home work is late.....i know youre on holiday, but this just isnt what we've come to expect.  Did Asian Garry keep you out late?     :o ;) :D (lol)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 22, 2014, 06:52:46 AM
I will apologise first if there are typos in my blog this morning, as am feeling a little fragile, it must be the sun or possibly the size of the wine glasses last night! I've just taken some Paracetamol so things seem a little less foggy!!

Thursday - Bob was the one awake early today (4.30am), he has been suffering with a bad back for the last few days, but today the backache has gone and he now has what I can only say as a groin strain.  Am thinking it is probably all the hills and steps we have been navigating around, but he dosed himself up with tablets, and said he would be okay.  As we have been very busy and done lots of things, and Bob not feeling that great this morning, and the fact that we are winding down now, a few chill out days are in order before we go home.  Yesterday, after breakfast (boiled eggs), off we went to the beach accompanied by Waltilda! Some friends were going home today, and they were on the beach enjoying the last few hours in the sunshine, before they were off to Dalaman Airport in the evening.  They were sad to be going home, but like us will be back next year.  :D

We got our sunbeds sorted, and true to form, I walked straight into the basket sunshade, and boy did it hurt! I think a few choice words came out of my mouth before I even realised, but my goodness did it hurt! Two Turkish lads behind us were looking on, a little smile was on their face, especially after they heard me blasphem, I just hope they didn't speak English!  ::) Anyway, time to relax and hold my head in my hands until the pain dulled! suddenly someone called out, and there was the biggest turtle we have seen yet on this holiday right in swimming by the beach, there was a young girl on a lilo, and the turtle was swimming next to her.  Such a lovely sight to see. 

The Beachman came along, he clears the rubbish and sorts out all the umbrellas and cushions this year, he even went in the sea for a swim, have never seen that before.  I said to Bob, we need to find out his name, we only know him as the Beachman! Bob was struggling a bit by this time, but thought he would go in for a swim, big mistake because his leg was so painful, when it was time to get out, he was in agony.  We decided by lunchtime, that we would go back to the pool and he could just rest there.  We got a taxi back, which was a welcome relief for Bob, but certainly was for me, as it was really hot by then.

Back at the pool, there was hardly anyone there, so we more or less had the pool to ourselves, which was lovely.  We ordered lunch and some Efes, purely for medicinal purposes for OH, and our afternoon was sorted.  The hotel have a cocker spaniel puppy called Pasha, 10 weeks old, he is adorable, but naughty.  The barman threw him in the pool, and he was swimming with me, he was so funny. He literally was doing the doggy paddle!! Just like a baby, when he had had his fun in the pool, he jumped out, ran rounds the sunbeds taking shoes and things out of people's bags, and then promptly jumped on a sunbed and fell asleep!  :D :D :D

6pm came and went, the normal routine, back upstairs to get ready for the evening feast! Yes, Asian Gate again with the Gangs! We got ready, a couple of white wines and off we went.  We had a fab evening, everyone had different things, I had Chicken Tikka on a sizzling platter, OH had Lamb Tikka,we shared popadoms, a  mixed onion bhaji, pakora selection for starters, we were so full, but the food was delicious.  I lost count how many wines, I think 3 at the restaurant, but I know I was feeling very merry, and my head is confirming it this morning. As usual, a funfilled evening with the Gang was had.   ;D ;D ;D

Well it was almost midnight, and we left the Gang at the roundabout, said goodnight, and back to the hotel we went.

Friday today, no alcohol for me well not yet anyway, not even having breakfast this morning as so full!

I've just worked out only 4 more blogs now left to go, what will I do next week, am so going to miss doing this!  :D :D :D

Until tomorrow ......................................

Shirl xxx

Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 22, 2014, 06:54:38 AM
Ha ha ha Haybo, my head and brain wouldn't focus when I first woke up!!!  ::) ::) ::)
Post by: Haybo on August 22, 2014, 07:21:46 AM
Sorry to hear you are delicate this morning, so its an extra special thankyou for thinking of your fans first and getting on with the job!   We saw a turtle by the harbour on our way to the beachpark.  Its lovely that they swim so close to the shore.  Glad Asian Garry was good again.  Im starting to think of it like a character in on,y fools and horses...does he have a mate called Chinese Pete?

Well ive packed for dorset and am officially taking more clothes for 4 days than i did for 14 in kalkan!  The weather is awful for the time of year.  I will watsapp you a picture of the dorset coastline later so that you can begin your transition to normality slowly......

Hope Bob feels better today, i know how hard the terrain was for me with my gammy leg....
Post by: Chris_S on August 22, 2014, 10:25:11 AM
Back Problems?  Groin Strain?

Admit it - Bob's really a Premier League footballer, isn't he?
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 22, 2014, 01:48:08 PM
I'm so relieved you are relaxing today....your holiday schedule puts ours to shame but has given me lots of food for thought for next year's visit. Bob needs some fastgel from the lovely pharamacist - it should sort him out in no time.
You deserve the Queens Award for services to EK for getting up after a night where wine was consumed in rather large quantities - they do serve super large glasses in Asian Garry and it is very nice wine - to post on your blog.
I'm really going to miss these wonderful daily updates when you go home  :(
So no alcohol today eh?.....bet that's already gone by the wayside :-*
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 22, 2014, 02:31:16 PM
Another fantastic report Shirl and I'm very much looking forward to repeating it tonight  :-*
Post by: Skunk on August 22, 2014, 03:26:20 PM
Great report again. Sorry to hear Bob's not too good, hope he's better today. I expect it was strain from the Saklikent trip and a day rushing up and down the steps on Yildiz 2. A bit of a chill now is a good idea before you get back to the usual grind.  >:( >:(
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 22, 2014, 03:48:04 PM
Bob's feeling a lot better thank you all, 3 x Efes this afternoon and some anti inflammatories seem to have done the trick.  K4E, he was going to go to the Pharmacist, but he seemed to think that the 3rd Efes would be the better option!

Chris S, he's not into football, let alone play it.  ;D ;D, he's more of a cricket man!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 23, 2014, 06:41:12 AM
It's Saturday and our last day at the Dream as we will be leaving to go to our apartment tomorrow.  Looking forward to that very much, but will also be sad to leave this hotel as we have realy enjoyed it.

Friday - Breakfast (scrambled eggs), and Bob with his painful leg still isn't up to galivanting as he called it! so decides to go and get his 2nd haircut, he always insists on that at the end of our holiday.  Down to the shack he went, and we thought we would have a slow walk down to the beach afterwards. When I went down to meet him, he had only just been shown to his seat, so I went ahead and he would come down afterwards.  I slowly walked through the town, taking a sneaky peak in the bag shops, as one does! Arrived at the beach, and immediately heard my name being shouted, and there was Lizzie and her youngest in the sea, and Automan on his sunbed.   I went over to join them, and 2 sunbeds and 2 more parasols later, and I was sorted.  Bob appeared with his new very short haircut, and we had a relaxing morning with our friends, swimming, chatting and people watching! You've already heard about the Turtles, and the huge one that was swimming right by me!!!!!!! They really are beautiful though, and we spent a good couple of hours all watching them rear their heads out of the water. 

We left the beach and wandered up through town, slowly as Bob was still struggling, stopped off at Merkez for a drink.  One Efes and one frozen iced lemon was ordered, I have never tasted anything so lovely, if you go to Merkez, then I thoroughly recommend you try one of these. More people watching and another quick look in BSG and back to the pool we went. Four hours later and after a lovely relaxing afternoon mainly on our sunbeds and in the swimming pool, it was time to get ready for our meal at the Moonlight Pension.

We walked to the restaurant, and was stopped by an American chap! giving out flyers for the Blue Turtle Bar next to Chillies, we took his leaflets and after a quick chat, off we went to the Moonlight to meet the Gang, and our 2 friends who live in Kalkan. We had the front table with a fantastic view.  This is another must go restaurant if you haven't already been.  All homecooked traditional Turkish food, and run by a lovely family, and the mum does all the cooking.  Garlic bread was on the House, and both OH and I had stuffed peppers to start, I had Tava, which is a minced lamb layered with vegetables and topped with a lovely cheese and served with rice, it was delicious, OH had stuffed aubergine with mincemeat and served with the rice.  For dessert, I had strawberry icecream, and although I am not a fan, it was lovely, and OH the Baklava. For a 3 course set menu, it is 48TL, obviously plus alcohol! and the wine was certainly flowing by this time, and everyone was having a great time.  We did remember to watch for the Space Station at 9.13pm, Bob had set a reminder on his phone, so that was interesting, and the girls really enjoyed watching it. 

It was around 11pm, and Lizzie said she really must go and buy the towels in town, so we all said goodbye and we all left the restaurant, with Lizzie and Automan going on ahead.  By the time we wandered along to the roundabout, they were looking in the gift shop with their girls.  We stopped for a chat, and before we know it, not sure how, but the towel shopping had been abandoned, and we were all off to the Blue Turtle Bar for a nightcap, and goodness me we are so glad we did.  It was a fantastic atmosphere in there, live music, another chap and his wife walked by, he came in and sang a few songs, then another lady with an amazing voice got up and sang, such a fabulous atmosphere.  The drinks were flowing by this time (as Lizzie will no doubt tell you later), we so wanted to dance........

All I can say about last night is that we had such a fun fun time, and Lizzie and I EXCELLED!!!!   

Saturday - Today we skipping breakfast, as we are off to Fener for brunch, and my favourite of all things tonight is the Moonlight Cruise on Pina X, a sort of finale to our holiday! We can't wait. I have taken a peep outside this morning and the sea looks very calm indeed!!

Until tomorrow ........................

Shirl xxxx

Post by: Haybo on August 23, 2014, 07:27:32 AM
So sad that your stay is nearly over,, but lovely that you go back to your apartment for a few days - to get the washing done! Do you have your next trip in the diary already?
Post by: Haybo on August 23, 2014, 03:23:16 PM
Well we finally managed to capture bob and jayne on the town webcam! The image was a bit grainy, but we saw them heading down to their evening boat trip.  Looking forward to hearing all about it!
Post by: Chris_S on August 23, 2014, 06:12:12 PM
Glad to hear Bob's not into football - that makes four of us.

And I thought we were the only two ...
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 24, 2014, 09:28:15 AM
Sorry folks I am late in delivering my blog this morning, been a busy morning packing, as we are leaving for the apartment this morning, but we have just realised we can't gain access until 6pm!! Never mind, the sun is still shining, in actual fact the temperature reached 47 degrees yesterday, it was boiling, the hottest day they have had yet this summer!

Saturday - A lovely day on the beach with the Gang, and brunch at Fener.  We watched the turtles swimming in and out of the bay, it was fab.  Wandered back mid afternoon to get ready for our moonlight cruise at 6pm.  On the way back down to the harbour we went to find the webcam, as Haybo and her family were at home waiting for us to appear! When we reached the roundabout, we weren't quite sure which camera it was as there were several on various different buildings.  The scene was basically Bob and I waving furiously at every camera we could see, we must have looked such idiots, but we were laughing at each other.  The good thing is that Haybo saw us, me dressed in pink and Bob in blue!!  After making fools of ourselves, we went back down to Fener to meet everyone for a pre moonlight cruise, it was so so hot, as we walked down, it felt like someone had a blow torch on the back of my legs.

We boarded Pina X at 6.15pm, and off we went.  The sea was failry choppy so we motored over to Frank bay and the anchor was lowered.  What an amazing night we had, we saw the space station go over, there were so many stars it was incredible.  We swam, laughed, ate, drank ...... talked and generally had the most wonderful evening.  We were all so chilled and relaxed, and would definitely recommend a moonlight cruise at the end of a holiday in the future.  When it was time to return to Kalkan, none of us really wanted to, but all good things have to come to an end, so just before midnight, Captain Abdi started the engine and we motored back to the harbour.   

Another wonderful day in Paradise ................

Shirley x
Post by: Skunk on August 24, 2014, 12:15:49 PM
wish you'd told me, I would have looked out for you! Glad you had a good time on the cruise. Keep cool if you can!
Post by: Haybo on August 24, 2014, 02:01:33 PM
I find looking at the stars very emotional! We had already decided to do a trip on our last day or night next year. 

Hope my dorset piccies are helping you prepare yourself!
Post by: Babs on August 24, 2014, 08:28:26 PM
Have just been catching up with your blog Shirl after a few days away in deepest darkest Devon where I couldn't get any sort of signal......fair to say you haven't held back! Is there anything you haven't done this holiday? You've had an amazing time!  :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 24, 2014, 10:21:22 PM
Another great post, Shirley. I don't know what I'm going to do when you go home :'( :'(
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 25, 2014, 07:10:42 AM
Happy Bank Holiday to you all! Our day has finally arrived, packing up to go home, oh I know that you can't be on holiday forever, but so wish we were staying another week or 2!!

Sunday - Well we got our wires crossed yesterday and thought we could get in the apartment in the morning, but in actual fact couldn't get in until 6pm, but our transfer company, Define Tours kindly loaned us a very nice Dacia Duster for a couple of hours, and after saying goodbye to everyone at the Dream, including that beautiful puppy Pasha, who insisted on sitting on our cases and wouldn't budge! we drove up to the apartment and dropped our stuff off, and then drove up to Kalamar Bay.  We don't often go up that way, but it is so beautiful, we called in at the House Cafe and Bar, and ordered pizza, coffee and coke, the owner Ali was a lovely man, we sat eating our lunch looking out at the bay, it was lovely.  We left the restaurant, and he came back with a lovely shopping bag personalised with the House Cafe logo.  We drove back to Kalkan, picked up a few bits, and then down to the beach.  The beach was full today, so we went to the other end by the Pinar Cafe, the beach man whose name I have now established as Ahmed, he found us an ambrella and 2 sunbeds with cushions and we were sorted! It was so hot again today, but we had a lovely few swims, took in the view, thinking this is the last beach visit for us until next year, but we had had so much fun on the beach this year, it didn't matter.

Around 5.30pm we packed up our things, and headed off towards the taxi rank.  10Tl later, we were back at the apartment.  We rebooked the taxi for 7.25pm, as we were heading into town to meet up for our farewell dinner with the Gang at Akin with a sundowner first at the Fountain Bar. After a quick swim, in just under an hour and a half, we had unpacked our things, showered, and were ready for the off! Taxi arrived and back down to town we went.  The Fountain Bar is lovely, lovely view from the terrace too.  We ordered our drinks, and sat talking to our lovely friends about the wonderful holiday that we had all had.

8.30pm table was ready for us at Akin, we all ordered our meals, we had liver to start, it was delicious and OH an aubergine dish, Cleopatra steak for OH and shrimp casserole for me, all very delicious.  After dinner, suddenly fireworks appeared and the owner said come on girls, dancing time, well to be honest when we booked the table we had asked for dancing, as that is what we did there last year.  All of a sudden all the ladies got up and there were Lizzie and I dancing in the street! I think it now has to be a tradition on our last evening to do that!

It was getting late, we were all tired, we had really enjoyed our evening, but OH and I were now realising that our holiday was coming to an end.  We said our goodbyes, big hugs all round, and off we went to get our taxis.  Back at the apartment, we couldn't even manage a nightcap, tired, happy and full!

Monday - Awoke 8am, first lot of washing in, going to spend the morning sorting out of things, only hand luggage going home so will be good. Our flight isn't until 5.30am Tuesday morning, but we get to spend the  whole day and evening here, so not too bad, the final decision is where will we eat tonight?

My next and final blog of this holiday will be when we are home, but thank you all for your lovely comments, I have really enjoyed keeping you all up to date with our wonderful holiday adventures.  We are already planning next year's holidays already, 2 weeks at Easter, and 4 weeks in the summer, fingers crossed!!  :D :D :D :D

Shirley xxx
Post by: Haybo on August 25, 2014, 07:24:20 AM
Jayne, what a wonderful time you have had.  Kalkan is a very special place. Oh, the choice for your last night......asian Garry wont be the same without the Gang, i think a terrace is in order so you can gaze at the view. Feeling teary just thinking about it.

Enough emotional guff ....its chucking it down here.  Happy bank holiday indeed!

Catch you on the other side! Xxx
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 25, 2014, 08:24:56 AM
Thank you for taking time to share your hols with those of us back in Blighty!! have a safe journey home and wear something  waterproof!! ;)
Post by: Babs on August 25, 2014, 10:29:16 AM
Thanks for the blog Shirl......feel free to carry on at home!   :laugh:
Post by: Christina on August 25, 2014, 10:39:03 AM
I have loved reading your holiday reports Jayne - thanks for taking the time to update us all on your adventures. They have been a joy to read, and I feel I have been with you every step of the way. I am sure you have inspired many Kalkan-lovers to do different things on their next trip, as well as providing an excellent incentive for would-be visitors. I loved spending time with you both in July - even during our ill-fated trip on Pina X on that choppy day, when we both held on the mast for dear life as the boat listed to 45 degrees - first one way, then the other! How we laughed!!  :'(

Have a safe journey home, and I'm already looking forward to having fun in the sun again next Easter.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 25, 2014, 10:54:45 AM
Thank you all so much, well since early this morning, we have packed and done the washing much quicker than anticipated. Lizzie and Automan popped round, felt so sad to see them go, but we will look forward to repeating our fun again next year. So we're now back down at the beach! What a bonus as thought we wouldn't be back here until next April!  :D :D :D
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 25, 2014, 11:36:05 AM
sob sob sob...... :'(
It's been a double pleasure having both you and Lizilu posting, so now it means double pain that you are both departing :( How selfish :-*
Loved your blogs Jayne, and lucky you coming back in April. Look forward to Kalkan out of season posts already.
Take care and safe journey home to cold, miserable blighty.
Post by: Babs on August 25, 2014, 11:54:24 AM
I'm feeling under pressure for October! Mind you we won't be getting up to the mad antics you have done during your holiday! How exciting can I make......got up, went to the beach, ate out, got up, went to the beach.........??  :laugh:
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 25, 2014, 12:03:40 PM
Aww Babs bet you can't wait for October? Am sure your blog will be fab and looking forward to hearing all about your holiday too. No pressure lol!

Jx
Post by: Skunk on August 25, 2014, 01:08:48 PM
Lovely blog Jayne - really lightened up my return from Turkey at the end of July. Be warned the weather is frightful here so make the most of your last few hours. Bet you end up in Asian Garry again tonight!! Keep in touch after you get home. I miss all the whatsapps of dinners and lunches, pubs and seasides and all that stuff. Have a safe journey back too and love to Bob. Sxxx
Post by: Haybo on August 25, 2014, 04:36:36 PM
How fantastic that you got to go to the beach again! Another Kalkan treat. Back home now after a 4:20hr drive home from my folks.  Looking forward to the last installment of 'better late than never'.  I guess you land around 07:30...will think of you on my drive down to Stratford.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 25, 2014, 05:01:03 PM
Yes we've just been looking at the flight to see if it's changed, but so far so good.  Fab last day and now can't agree on where our last supper for 2014 in Kalkan will be! Glad you've had a lovely time in Dorset.  Actually do feel like sobbing k4e, but just put next year's count down to kalkan on our phone, so don't feel so bad now! Skunk food for for thought now you've reminded us about Asian Garry!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 27, 2014, 08:14:23 AM
Good morning

Well we are home safe and sound, after what was not the best of journeys, and after an 11 hour sleep last night, am feeling more like a human being this morning!

Monday/Tuesday - Well where did I leave it, seems like a million miles away now! Our dear friends had departed  :( :(  we spent the last few hours on the beach, watching those turtles, what a treat that was this year, it's amazing how that beach fills up around 4pm when all the Turkish come down with the picnics! We noticed that sweetcorn boy hadn't been down for the past week, so could only guess that he was off back to University for the winter months.  We said goodbye to our new friend (Ahmed the Beachman) and off we went back to the apartment. We still couldn't decide on where to eat, but Asian Garry again it was to be! We were all packed and off we went. We had our meal which was very nice indeed, and then a quick last look in town, and back to the apartment.  Being picked up at 01.40am, what a ridiculous time, so at 10.30pm, we thought we would have a couple of hours sleep. Set the alarm for 00.55am, thinking we would feel refreshed, not sure whether I actually felt worse or better to be honest.  Transfer arrived bang on time, and off we went.  On arrival at Dalaman, thinking middle of the night and won't really be many people, but there were lots of flights taking off, true to form, ours was delayed again! but only by 45 minutes this time.  Good old Monarch!!! or is that Monarkkkkk Automan???  ;D ;D  A family of 6 were behind us in a right panic, they had only realised at midnight that their flight was going today, as they thought it was tomorrow, and they had actually had to pack in an hour, felt so sorry for them, the mum was so stressed, the nan had been in hospital, can't imagine how they must have felt when they realised! but they made their Thomas Cook flight on time, but only just!!!

Off we went with our hand luggage to check in, we were really lucky because we were given the emergency exit seats with extra leg room, so at least we would have a bit of space.  The flight was somewhat bumpy to say the least, and being terrified of flying, I couldn't really sleep, but thankfully we arrived safely back at Gatwick around 8.30am.  It was raining so hard, we couldn't see properly out of the car on the way back, and the journey was awful, talk about welcome home to Blighty! Back on the M23, M25, M3 and M27, and finally back home to Dorset.

Lovely to be home though finally, Sausage and mash it was for dinner, had been thinking about that all week, and we were in bed by 8pm as our night's missed sleep had finally caught up on us. 

Wednesday - OH back to work today,  :( but for me not until next Monday I am pleased to say.  :D

So here endeth my Blog too.  I would like to say thank you for reading my holiday blog, I hope you have all enjoyed it as much as I have had writing it.  I feel sad to be home, but can guarantee without a doubt, we we will be back .........

We had the most fab holiday, spent with some fab people!!!! :D :D :D

Shirley (Back in Jayne mode now folks!!! until next time that is ...................)

xxxx
Post by: Haybo on August 27, 2014, 09:44:58 AM
Thank you Jayne for sharing your holiday with us all.  I think Babs said the other day that her reports would be pretty repetitive, but it's only by actually sitting down to write a report that you recall all of the wonderful, sights, sounds and smells of Kalkan and its wonderful people.

Whether it's watching other people have fun, or remembering the random acts of kindness that you see and experience , no two days are actually the same and there is always an interesting tale to tell, or a new nugget of information to share with your Forum buddies. - so that we get there feeling like we never left!

Counting the days til your Easter reports!

Having a few days off now as my sister is coming to stay.  Lovely morning! Been to asda already - efes £4.09 for 4 bottles, halley biscuits and KitTat in stock too! Will leave them for Kalkan thanks..although a betyi kebab from hunkar's would get snapped up pretty quickly!
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 27, 2014, 09:50:04 AM
Oh Jayne....look what we've been missing all these years!
I've loved your fab blog, I've been vicariously living every moment with you and just wishing I was there. You've obviously had a great stay and a nice few days off now to ease you gently back into UK life.
Until next time indeed :-*
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 27, 2014, 09:52:06 AM
Aw Shirl, I'm missing you and Bob and your blogs already. Glad you're home safe and sound and we can't wait to repeat all the fun with you two again next year.  :-* :-* :-*

Post by: Pompeyalbie on August 27, 2014, 01:32:34 PM
Brilliant blog Jayne, I've loved catching up each day with your exploits. Mine will sound pretty mundane compared to the epic 2 weeks you've had.
Post by: joycie on August 27, 2014, 01:52:31 PM
I know fabulous accounts of what sounded like a wonderful holiday. We're on Kalkan countdown go on Tuesday can't wait. After Bri's experiences last year everybody does a Hilda Baker to us when they know where we're going. Loud whispers wasn't that where Brian had his YOU KNOW WHAT? Patiently and resignedly I answer yes but I know where the hospital is and even the bus stop to Fethiye so dont worry wer'e fine. OOh you are brave what going to Kalkan for three wonderful weeks perfectly heroic thats me! So cases in process of being packed visas in hand and can almost taste my first EFES.
Post by: kevtamuk on August 27, 2014, 03:16:31 PM
Thanks for a wonderful report.  Really enjoyed reading all about it and have made copious notes for our trip in October - shame we are only going for a week as we have a list of bars and restaurants that would take a lot longer to visit.

Really appreciate the time it takes to write these reports - my husband and myself normally do a similar thing on our holidays and then put them on a website as a reminder of holidays past.  Can be quite time consuming but the memories and the information you can pass on to others is invaluable.

Tammy
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 27, 2014, 03:18:28 PM
The good thing about having a list longer than your visit is that you have to come back.... ;)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 27, 2014, 04:25:52 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words, and I would just like to say it doesn't matter how long or short anyone's posts are, it is still great fun reading about everyone's holidays in our little bit of Paradise! The more the merrier! Getting a bit of a habit keep looking on EK of late  :D :D :D

Off topic - but just to say "Thank you" Haybo for nominating me in the Ice Bucket Challenge!!!!  LOL!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) x
Post by: Babs on August 27, 2014, 05:32:57 PM
Thanks Shirl! Sorry but that's going to stick now! I'm looking forward to a few more blogs before I start mine in October  :laugh:
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 27, 2014, 05:41:15 PM
Ha ha, Bob said Shirl would stick!  Yes definitely looking forward to yours in October too Babs!  :D :D :D
Post by: Babs on August 27, 2014, 09:13:59 PM
Oh the pressure! ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 28, 2014, 09:57:36 AM
you can do it girl... ;D
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 28, 2014, 11:46:45 AM
Go on Babs! Your EK needs you!!! ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 28, 2014, 01:25:17 PM
Yes Babs you can definitely do it! No pressure whatsoever!!! seriously missing doing my blogs! still raining here and my tan is fading by the hour  >:( >:(

Post by: kalkan4eva on August 28, 2014, 01:50:20 PM
Someone needs to pick up the blog baton...I'm have serious withdrawal symptoms :(
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 28, 2014, 01:52:16 PM
Me too K4E!!! and I am seriously getting worried about how many times I am looking at EK since we have got home! x
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 28, 2014, 01:55:39 PM
ha...welcome to my world, Jayne :) Really think I have KCD - Kalkan Compulsive Disorder :o :o
Post by: Haybo on August 28, 2014, 02:00:10 PM
So  its a recognised condition then? Matthew says i am obsessed!  He may well have a point. Come on people...we need reports!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 28, 2014, 02:57:12 PM
Me too!!! Glad I now have a name for my condition -  KCD it is!  ;D Looks like im in good company  ;)
Post by: Babs on August 28, 2014, 06:13:59 PM
As you're all so desperate I volunteer to go 6 weeks earlier than booked! It'll be tough but I'll do it for "the team"!  ;D
Post by: Haybo on August 28, 2014, 07:11:01 PM
Thanks Babs! What a trooper!
Post by: Rachey on August 29, 2014, 01:04:48 PM
Thank you so much for your wonderful daily reports - I read each avidly, living each moment with you!  Living vicariously though them has helped me last until our next visit - four weeks to go!! Please hurry back to Kalkan and write more!  :D
Post by: Haybo on August 29, 2014, 01:35:28 PM
We look forward to hearing from you Rachey..........
Post by: Christina on August 29, 2014, 01:57:31 PM
My next trip to Kalkan is on 2nd October for a month. I promise to throw in the odd holiday report - broken wrist permitting - but will find it hard to match this summer's shenanigans. As I don't have an OH or BH to bounce off, help me out of the sea, pick me up when I fall coming out of a bar - a single girl's stories might be a bit different. But I will be keeping it below the watershed!  :o
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 29, 2014, 02:03:45 PM
Attagirl Christina! and loking forward to yours again too Rachey  :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 29, 2014, 02:22:41 PM
Yes Christina and Rachey, you go girls! Very much look forward to hearing your reports  :D :D
Post by: Rachey on August 29, 2014, 10:19:14 PM
I'll try and post a few times when we're over (for 19 whole, glorious days!), but my poor efforts will not be close to others'. It will consist of "got up, fresh bread from Yali, tea.  Lie by the pool, swim, read.  Make salad for lunch.  Pool. Read. Chill.  Sleep.  Pool.  Get ready for dinner.  Yali bar for pre dinner drinks.  Dinner. Home. Sleeeeep and repeat! "

We might make it to Kaş this year for the first time in 14 or so visits!  But might not. We will take a trip with Ali on Zeus though.

4 weeks and 4 days.  Cannot come soon enough!  ;D
Post by: Babs on August 29, 2014, 10:29:15 PM
Rachey....your holidays sound as wild as ours! :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 30, 2014, 10:22:18 AM
It doesn't have to be wild.....we just want to live your holidays with you as we're suffering from KCD...remember ;D
Post by: Haybo on August 30, 2014, 12:08:32 PM
You can do it! Like i said before, when you sit down with your morning cuppa and reflect on the day before, there will be some event in Yali when you got the bread (strongly recommend the bakery 2 doors down), or come funny conversation you have with a waiter that you think us worth a mention....for example..... We were ay Kk beach park, having some lunch, listening to the music and humming along, when matthew, waving the pickle from the sandwich in my general direction, says
Mum is this a dell?
To which i respond, "no matthew, its a dill (pickle).
 He frowns at me and says, " no, is this a dell " ....still waving the pickle about.....
 So again i say " no, its a dill" .......
then he looks towards the music speakers and said.."i'm sure its Adele that sang Skyfall....i must have heard it wrong"....

Priceless!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 30, 2014, 05:08:47 PM
Just catching up on here, and that made me laugh out loud Haybo! yes priceless! and girls re the posts, we don't mind whether it is wild or not do we, we definitely want to hear all about your holidays whether just going to the Bakery or the Beach! as I for sure will be needing my fix of EK, as am definitely suffering with KCD, and will be even more when I return to work on Monday!!!  :( :(

Jx
Post by: Rachey on August 30, 2014, 05:19:21 PM
Haybo that's brilliant. I love both dill and Adele!  Where's the bakery by Yali?  Don't remember seeing it when we were out in May. I will post...promise!  :angel: :D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 30, 2014, 05:26:01 PM
Rachey the Bakery is just down from Yali Supermarket, it is underneath the new greengrocer and fresh fish shop, it is a cafe, but you walk through and the bakers is at the back, they do the most amazing things in there, pastries, all sorts of delicious breads and rolls.  It is a must, we only found it by chance this year.  Enjoy  :D So happy you will be posting too!  :D

J
Post by: Rachey on August 30, 2014, 06:18:58 PM
Magic - I know exactly where you mean. Had no idea there was a bakery there as well as a cafe. Thanks!
Post by: Lizilu20 on August 30, 2014, 07:17:20 PM
Haybo that's so funny. Reminded me of a conversation between our daughters on holiday, youngest "who is elvis Presley? Did he start rock off?" Middle daughter "who is Rockov" is he Russian?  ;D OH and I laughed our socks off!

The bakery is fab by the way. You must go Rachey but they sell out early doors so don't leave it too late.
Post by: Kalkan regular on August 30, 2014, 07:55:40 PM
They will slice the bread that you choose in the bakery provided it hasn't just come out of the oven as it won't slice then. There is a great choice of bread, which freezes brilliantly & cakes.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on August 31, 2014, 07:31:24 AM
Re freezing the bread, the normal 1TL loaves freeze so well that you don't even know when you defrost them, it is like they have just come out of the oven all nice and crispy.  We always buy about 4 at a time and then don't have to worry about going to the Bakers every day.

Jayne
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 31, 2014, 08:58:31 AM
I kind of like a little stroll each morning to buy fresh bread....it clears the head too! ;D
(Ever noticed how many turkish people say "good morning"....bit different to home where people just scurry about oblivious to others !!)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal