Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Travel and Accommodation => Flights and Travel => Topic started by: Cuddles on July 03, 2014, 06:41:31 PM

Title: BA are back!
Post by: Cuddles on July 03, 2014, 06:41:31 PM
Who knew that BA would be flying to Dalaman from Gatwick again next year? April to June available now. Fares from £69 one way.
Title: Re: BA are back!
Post by: pw on July 03, 2014, 07:11:45 PM
Not from Leeds Bradford they're not.....
Post by: pattaya on July 03, 2014, 09:06:04 PM
That's fantastic news .. hate flying with Thomas cook, always delays or problems
Post by: Charlie on July 03, 2014, 09:47:10 PM
Hi Cuddles I have checked their site and keep getting the following error message??

Sorry, we found no destinations matching "dalaman".

This may be because we do not fly there, or there could be a problem with your search term. Please check the spelling or try searching for another term, such as the city or country. Alternatively you can choose to list our destinations by continent or country.
Post by: Cuddles on July 03, 2014, 09:54:50 PM
Charlie, I have just been on the BA site and it was working fine for me. Try putting in DLM in the destination field and then click on their drop down box when it shows.
Another thought, you are searching for 2015 aren't you and the flights only go up to 22 June 2015, from sometime in April 2015.

Post by: Charlie on July 04, 2014, 03:51:52 PM
Thanks Cuddles but I have tried again and get the same message.  Entering DLM, selecting Dalaman from the drop down and dates going out April 2015 returning May 2015 - odd??? 
Will keep trying , thanks again.
Post by: pattaya on July 04, 2014, 04:33:42 PM
That's strange as Ive just check flights .. prices are not bad, about the same as thomas cook.
Post by: Cuddles on July 04, 2014, 07:07:41 PM
Charlie, are you using a PC? I will try on my MacBook later, see if there is a problem with that.

Pattaya, yes, but look at the hand baggage allowance, free drinks and snack and much more room. I'm surprised that anybody over 12 still travels with t cook.
Post by: pattaya on July 04, 2014, 08:48:52 PM
Yes I know just spotted that cuddles .. I will defiantly fly with them. I hate Thomas cook with a passion !!
Post by: Cuddles on July 06, 2014, 05:29:58 PM
Charlie, Mmm, strange! I thought I had posted here on Friday night that I had not had any problem using my Macbook to access the BA site.
Post by: clem turnbull on August 11, 2014, 07:15:56 AM
I am told BA flights are only for Exclusive Escape customers.
Post by: Shambo on August 11, 2014, 07:50:23 AM
I have just gone on to the website and put in dates for June next year, and it came up with a price, and a good one at that.  I really don't think that even Exclusive Escapes have that much sway with British Airways!!
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 11, 2014, 08:04:50 AM
I have contacted Easyjet to ask why they muck around releasing flights in dribs and drabs..each year the stands are the same..the boarding gates are the same....yet they release them so you can book (in our case)for half our june holiday but have to wait for a couple of months for the next lot so we can book to come back!! >:(..I also pointed out that EJ are no longer a small player in aviation as the amount of EJ aircraft at Airports (especially Gatwick) proves...guess what??? NO Reply!! PAH! and double PAH! I say...... they can do one!! >:D
I have since booked our flights for june next year with British Airways the same price I paid with EJ this year..includes baggage 23KG...and free snacks and drinks!! and you get more leg room(even us with little legs like room) ;)..oh! and a newspaper!
Post by: Babs on August 11, 2014, 08:09:19 AM
As we are going in May next year I'm thinking I need to have a look, was waiting for easyjet.....what do you think BL.....you are usually the expert on this?
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 11, 2014, 08:37:27 AM
It's a gamble isn't it?? Easyjet might come up cheap because of the competition? but from my point of view with them I pay 2 booking fees as I have to do 2 transactions for our flights!! bloody cheek!! only a few quid but Hey! release your flights so people can buy what they want!! BA no booking fee if you use debit card!!..23 kg Luggage?as I only take about 9 Kg of luggage (washing machine Is my buddy) this means I have room for 14 kg of sausages :P ;D
Post by: Chris_S on August 11, 2014, 10:38:10 AM
EasyJet?

Easy to get money out of people, certainly.  Could be worse - could be Ryanair!

As it's Gatwick, it costs us £170 for a return taxi or it's parking and petrol.  TAkes the edge of what could be interesting.

For Luton - Monarch rules ...
Post by: Chris_S on August 11, 2014, 10:42:27 AM
Just tried BA, and I didn't get any result either!

However changing the dates to 30 April 15 and 1 June 15 does get it going!!

Hope that helps.

(PC, Win7, GoogleChrome)
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 11, 2014, 12:31:07 PM
Sadly BA are only flying out of Gatwick to Dalaman....northerns get a bum deal yet again :P
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 11, 2014, 01:16:54 PM
Still look on the bright side...Black pudding is cheaper up there >:D :-*
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 11, 2014, 01:19:22 PM
I use the term Northerner to mean anything north of Watford Gap and to be fair most things are cheaper up here ;D ;D
Post by: Cuddles on August 11, 2014, 05:10:39 PM
To be fair, down on the Hampshire/Dorset border we term anyone north of Ringwood the "Northerners"  anything to the East "Londoners" and anyone West "Yokels". Luckily there is water between us and the Isle of Wight ("Islanders") or we'd be in real trouble.
Post by: Babs on August 11, 2014, 05:35:18 PM
I had a look at BA and because we have had to change our dates to May half term and are coming back on the Saturday it would be £390 for just the return flight and £175 to get out. I think even easyjet will be a better deal than that.....anyone know when they are likely to release May dates?
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 11, 2014, 05:57:52 PM
Usually the beginning of September.
Keep checking their website and try to enter your dates, or check in on here everyday, someone will post when they are out. Although from memory, they release different airports and different times - could they be more awkward..? We would like an early flight out but generally they only offer late flights when we want to go - cant have everything, I suppose ::)
Post by: Cuddles on August 11, 2014, 08:58:07 PM
Babs, to be fair, the BA flights have been on sale for over a month and you are trying to go over the May half term. You will find that even EasyJet will be more expensive then rather than at other times when they are released.

Can I just mention that getting in very early on the day that they release the flights is essential. However, last year I was a little late on that day and found after I had booked mine that, 2 or 3 days later when I booked for friends that their flights were about a pound less than mine.
Post by: Babs on August 11, 2014, 09:11:31 PM
Hi cuddles.....have managed to book easyjet flights on the day they were released and am hoping to do that again. We normally travel during school term time but due to unforeseen circumstances (!?) we are going over half term......even so £175 plus £390 is ridiculous.....not even that in the summer months? Fingers crossed we can get our flights at a sensible price!
Post by: Babs on August 11, 2014, 09:25:58 PM
Have just been looking at Thomas Cook flights for half term next week......no wonder people pay the fines to take their children out of school in term term! And that is coming from an ex teacher!
Post by: Chris_S on August 12, 2014, 10:50:45 AM
Not only cheaper up North, but you aren't forced into the Stansted / Luton / Heathrow / Gatwick Hell-holes! (Not in order of ranking...).  Be grateful for small mercies!

I have to be careful here: Lancastrian in the house  :angel:

Post by: kalkan4eva on August 12, 2014, 11:45:55 AM
You'd have to pay me to fly with Thomas Cook again....
Post by: Cuddles on August 12, 2014, 02:03:30 PM
Not only cheaper up North, but you aren't forced into the Stansted / Luton / Heathrow / Gatwick Hell-holes! (Not in order of ranking...).  Be grateful for small mercies!

You are surely not inferring that Manchester is better are you?!? Each year in Kalkan I hear tales from people who have flown from there, usually of the massive delays variety.
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 12, 2014, 02:08:09 PM
Having experienced a few UK Airports, Manchester is probably the best in my opinion....and as a Scouser it pains me to say it. We are hardly ever delayed there but then again, we never fly Thomas Cook any more so there could be a reason....?
Post by: Chris_S on August 13, 2014, 10:23:12 AM

You are surely not inferring that Manchester is better are you?!? Each year in Kalkan I hear tales from people who have flown from there, usually of the massive delays variety.

In short Yes.

Can't comment on delays - this depends as much on the airline as the airport - Charters are more likely to be delayed than scheduled, and some worse than others (you know who they are).  All to do with the planned turnaround time, inconsiderate passengers (whichever end of the trip) and the ground handling.

Just looking at airports, Stansted is a so-and-so to get to unless you live within the M11 corridor; Luton couldn't organise a party in a brewery (and how many other airports can you think of that charge you £2 non-returnable for a trolley?) to say nothing of checking in on one side and then walking back the way you've just come in to go to the weird world of departures (and there are even more strange things about Luton that I could say); Heathrow is just a nightmare to get to, to say nothing of expensive to get to; and Gatwick has always felt like it has too many people, too few runways and too many signs to find the one you want - just feels like they wish you weren't there so they can get more customers in.

Makes Dalaman seem like an oasis of calm.

Now if only I could fly by personal jet .... ;)
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 13, 2014, 10:33:36 AM
Dalaman may seem like an oasis of calm compared to inept UK airports....but it will soon empty your pockets!! :o :o
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 13, 2014, 01:01:03 PM
Exclusive Escapes do a private jet, but you dont get Duty Free.....?
I suppose if you can afford the private jet you won't care about the tax savings on booze and fags ::)
Post by: Chris_S on August 14, 2014, 03:16:17 PM
You can do it by private jet, but they're few and far between on the cheap!

The trick is to get on the empty return flight (or the empty 'pick-up' flight) where the charter people will be grateful for something to offset the cost (not to mention the owner!).

You just have to fill it up to get the best value.

Of course this may be a good reason to stay a couple of extra months in Kalkan, waiting for the empty return flight.

Then again, you may never get home.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal