Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => When Are You In Kalkan / Arrange a meet up => Topic started by: kalkan4eva on May 09, 2014, 06:08:59 PM

Title: One month today
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 09, 2014, 06:08:59 PM
Oh my goodness...just one short month from today we will be in Kalkan :) :)
I've just instructed BH to get the cases from the loft...yes its a bit premature caseation, but I'm keen to just check on my Kalkan clothes and see if there needs to be any retirements (which will need replacing with new starters...obviously ::))
#excited #earlypacking #ivenoideawhathashtagmeans
Title: Re: One month today
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 09, 2014, 07:31:02 PM
Looks cool though K4E!  8) I keep seeing # on Facebook but I think it's something to do with twitter. Something I've not mastered yet! Too many social network sites and not enough hours in the day!
4 weeks today is practically round the corner you lucky thing. Hope there's a big fat holiday report from you too!  ;D
Post by: Lynne T on May 09, 2014, 08:04:16 PM
We are 4 weeks tomorrow but I would like it a bit warmer ;D. My cases are down and the list to buy is getting smaller.
Can't wait Lynne
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 09, 2014, 08:25:32 PM
Ha ha, Lizilu, yes it's something to do with twitter  :) I send my kids messages on FB or whatsapp and add hash tag statements to wind them....! That's what what we do when we're older...just live to embarrass our children.
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 09, 2014, 08:58:44 PM
Think I might just have to follow your lead on that one ha ha! #justlovewindingmygirlsuptoo.  >:D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 09, 2014, 09:12:24 PM
Twitter I haven't ever managed to master either! but seems like all our kids now do that more than FB! My daughter tells me "no Mum you don't need Twitter!" K4E, I know what you mean, I've updated my Kalkan clothes in the sale in Asda this afternoon, cheap but chic! well I think so!!!, but worth looking, I was very pleased with what I bought. Roll on 80 days, can't come soon enough.

Jayne

:D
Post by: Babs on May 09, 2014, 09:18:44 PM
They use twitter so we can't keep tags on them #iknowwhatyouareupto!

"Retirements" and "new starters".......just admit it, you're going holiday shopping!  :laugh:
Post by: suzyq1 on May 09, 2014, 10:45:27 PM
Well my holiday must fit neatly in-between yours K4E and Jaynes, so meant in the nicest possible way I'm wishing yours to come and go K4E, but for Jaynes to take an eternity, so that my fortnight will go on and on and on…….total bliss  :) With the weather being pretty pants I haven't even got my normal summer bits out of the loft yet let alone holiday clothes.

Talking of embarrassing the kids I have just finished decorating my bra for the London Moon Walk tomorrow night! My son arrived home from being away at work all week to be greeted by me in my black lycra leggings and my flowery, blingy bra and bum bag! The look on his face  #priceless! Could do with a bit of Kalkan warmth, have you seen the forecast for tomorrow night? #freezingsoggybits comes to mind!

Anyway, have promised myself that after the walk I can concentrate on holiday and all things Kalkan, like visas, booking boat trips and start on my "holiday list" which I will have great pleasure slowly ticking off over the next 7 weeks! :)

Have fun shopping K4E. You never know, you just may see some blingy flip flops that you have to buy!  ;D
Post by: BarbH on May 09, 2014, 11:23:00 PM
Best of luck for tomorrow Suzy. Hope the weather is warmer than today. Been really blustery  here in London and your blingy bra is not going to keep you warm ;D Hope the ferry crossing is not too choppy.

BarbH
Post by: Haybo on May 09, 2014, 11:47:33 PM
Good luck on the Moonwalk. Just back from a Macmillan Big Night In. Raised over £200 making bracelets and drinking damson gin and blackcurrant/licorice vodka! Only 77 days to Kalkan.  Woo hoo! A few cheeky Asda purchases made myself!
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 10, 2014, 12:11:53 AM
#fabthreadk4e #justloveholidayclothesshoppingBabs
Good luck with your moonwalk Suzy  :) and well done Haybo.  :)
#beenbrowsingatasdatooladies!!!  ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 10, 2014, 07:01:09 AM
Will be thinking of you Suzy tonight, good luck, it is a fantastic atmosphere and a magnificent achievement.  Good luck and well done.  Look forward to hearing all about it and well done Haybo too.  Let's hope all our holidays come round very soon  :D :D :D
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 10, 2014, 08:46:08 AM
Well done ladies for raising money for good causes...oh and embarrassing the life out of our children - extra points for that!
Ok, you got me sussed on the shopping front but it has to be our secret :-* - I'm going to a sample sale next week which believe it or not will be cheaper than Asda ;D but I have to say, BH will leave me if I buy any more shoes - blingy or otherwise :)
#noivehadthemforyears
Post by: Babs on May 10, 2014, 11:10:32 AM
Good luck tonight Suzy.......my daughter will be joining you! I've been there, done it and got the t shirt a few times you'll have an amazing night!
Seems we all have the same philosophy for shopping #what?theseoldsthings?   :laugh:
Post by: Chris_S on May 10, 2014, 12:24:36 PM
A-a-a-h, such is the progress of life.

Just as you get in the habit of using hashtags to embarrass the younger generation, they move to something else.

Hence Twitter's falling usage and corporate value.  By the time you've really got to grips with it, you'll be the only one using it!
Post by: geirarne on May 10, 2014, 10:21:44 PM
One week today.
And weather forcast on accuweather says sunny weather for the next 14 days.
Boat trips, patara, fethyie market, lycian cities, saklikent, kleo ++ here we come
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 13, 2014, 09:57:25 AM
So just to update you on the packing front - cases were down at the weekend and I've made a start on the cull (which as you all know is a cunning plan to allow me to have a mini splurge pre:Kalkan)
I had not realised just how old some of my dresses actually are - I am still taking (and wearing...) clothes that have seen at least 8 seasons according to the photographic evidence I was able to show BH - a sort of case for the prosecution! I am also taking (but not wearing.....) clothes that I probably shouldn't any more :-[ :-[
A tidy pile for the Charity shop, a couple for eBay = lots more room for moi!

So it begins......
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 13, 2014, 10:13:55 AM
Ooh I'm getting giddy for you K4E, I think I'm looking forward to your holiday as much as you are  ;D

Are you going for 3 weeks again?

Happy shopping, culling and packing  :)

Post by: suzyq1 on May 13, 2014, 05:49:50 PM
 That was an  excellent night's fundraising Haybo  and sounds far more civilised than my night out in the cold pounding the streets of London:) .Thanks for all your good luck wishes for the Moon Walk. Well I did it, all 26 miles, but must admit it was a  challenge. Hope your daughter got on okay Babs? Bit of a cold, windy night and there were a few teething problems with the new route, but fantastic overall and such a great cause so worth it.

True to my word I have now put our Kalkan holiday back on track. Have sorted insurance, yes I know I should have done that ages ago, but kept forgetting! Visas have been done and printed off and now looking at boat trips. I know it's early season, but has anyone heard of any new ones this year?

Got a few days off so I might have to wonder into town and check out if there are any bargains about.  ;) I bought a couple of new dresses last year, but like you K4E I was also wearing ones I've had for at least 8 years! Mind you, that's nothing compared to my husband's 'drinking' shirt as we call it. It will be it's 22nd birthday this summer and gets worn without fail on every holiday we go on! Is that a record or can anyone beat that?
Post by: Haybo on May 13, 2014, 06:07:00 PM
Thanks suzyq1. Your efforts are worthy of praise! Can't beat the 22 year old drinking shirt I'm afraid. It must be a beauty! I'd love to think I could get I to something I owned 22 years ago!
We're still 10 weeks away from our holiday..... We have only been to KK once but I can't wait to visit some fave places from last year plus all the lovely places you guys talk about! I think I have first night and day one planned in my head already....geek alert!
Post by: suziq on May 14, 2014, 03:31:17 PM
 Mind you, that's nothing compared to my husband's 'drinking' shirt as we call it. It will be it's 22nd birthday this summer and gets worn without fail on every holiday we go on! Is that a record or can anyone beat that?
[/quote]

Well Suzyq1 I can beat the 22 year old shirt!. I have had a very colourful shirt I wear over swimwear. I have had it for 23 years and it goes on every holiday until last year, when I decided to leave it at home. Big mistake. We were in Kalkan for four weeks and within days I was pining for it despite all the lovely cover ups available in Kalkan. Luckily we had friends coming out to join us who rummaged in my wardrobe at home and brought it out to me. Sad or what!

It has sentimental value too. Many years ago my son, then aged 8 wore said shirt when he sang "My Coat of Many Colours" in a talent contest in Mallorca. He won and still thinks he can sing.
Post by: suzyq1 on May 14, 2014, 04:29:15 PM
Must be something in the name suziq! Well, you are officially in the lead….. not sure for how long  though, as we seem to be nation of hoarders! 
Post by: Babs on May 14, 2014, 07:01:08 PM
Suziq1........yes my daughter did arrive but the weather was horrible!
There does seem to have been a lot of problems with the route and organisation which is a shame as it was always brilliant when I did it.

I can't beat your record for the oldest item of clothing....either suzyq......but I have a kaftan that is very old and it is a bit embarrassing looking at the rogues gallery at Kalamar beach club as it keeps cropping up!
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 16, 2014, 09:56:48 AM
Well I certainly cannot beat any of the double decade clothes  :o :o thought my 8 year old dresses were bad enough.
So the secret shopping has gone well....rather too well. And now I'm making a second cut of those that managed to make it through the first round - X Factor Bootcamp style. It involves a lot of trying on and asking BH for his opinion, which is usually pretty good, but flies out of the window with anything that's a bit low cut ::)
Me: what about this one, is it a bit, you know....erm full on
BH: it's lovely
Me: no, I mean it's a bit...all on show
BH: it's lovely
Me: everything's in the shop window, it's booby!!
BH : it's lovely

Ladies, if you look in the mirror and only see boobs (in my case old boobs :P) and maybe even wince...then there's a good chance someone else will do the same. Consign it to the charity shop pile. One woman's trash is another woman's treasure....

Don't you just love holiday packing?
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 16, 2014, 10:04:32 AM
Today is the day of the ceremonial "cases from the loft" ritual..this involves me shouting out of the loft "Have you got it?"..Mrs L replying "Yes" and then the cases falling from the loft onto the floor ::)
Gentlemen!!...if wifey asks "Does my bum look big in this" NEVER reply "dunno cant see your blocking the light" you will pay for it for ever!! >:D
Post by: BarbH on May 16, 2014, 10:22:18 AM
Sounds like you ask for everything that wifey tjrws at you BL, wonder she does not take the ladder awat!!! ;D ;D ;D

throws at you BL
Post by: BarbH on May 16, 2014, 10:23:45 AM
Sorry touched a few wrong buttons there, didn't I?
Post by: Babs on May 16, 2014, 04:42:07 PM
We all do on occasion BarbH!  ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 19, 2014, 01:53:05 PM
OOOhhh well now its three weeks today.
Cases are semi-filled - BH is dithering over his shorts selection and I'm just trying to limit the number of frocks I'm taking ::) So I'm told...why not just take one of each colour..? And I say I am. Well I can see 4 orange dresses there....! No what you can see is one orange dress, one peach, one apricot and one tangerine.....stupid!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 19, 2014, 03:46:57 PM
K4E that has just made me laugh out loud! There's always burnt orange if you want to go for 5 shades!!!

It's 70 days for us! which I have just realised is 10 weeks today!

Look forward to reading your holiday reports.

J
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 20, 2014, 11:47:47 AM
don't get me started on the different shades of blue....
Post by: clara 50 on May 20, 2014, 01:02:50 PM
 Know where you're coming from I'm a purple, lilac, lavender, mauve, damson, magenta etc type of gal, and my hubby's convinced I'm colour blind, NEVER!!
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 26, 2014, 10:34:13 PM
Two weeks today!!!!!
Providing I can get the evisas sorted..... ???
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 27, 2014, 11:04:20 AM
Oh my words - only 2 weeks now - I'm so excited for you and excited at the anticipation of another fantastic holiday report!! No pressure of course K4E, but I'm seriously in need of a Kalkan fix!

Hope your holiday shopping is going well and fingers crossed for the evisa. My OH ended up downloading google chrome as he said internet explorer refused to let him complete the transaction properly. We ended up buying our visa's at Dalaman as we were able to, but he noticed that he was struggling with other things too eg paypal and as soon as he used  google chrome, he found that there was no problem. He's hoping this will work for us next time we need them  ???

#kalkanisjustaroundthecorneryouluckybugger
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 02, 2014, 11:37:01 AM
I hardly dare say it....one week today ;D ;D

cases packed  -  check (excluding consumables:including 4 shades of orange dresses :))
evisas printed -  check
Enes booked   -  check
cash out          -  check
meet&greet at
Manchester     -  check
Duty free list   -  check
hair, eyelashes
& wax booked  - check
speed awareness
course booked  -  :-[ :-[

Now just have to clean the house from top to bottom, eat the contents of the fridge and undertake an alcohol inventory (amazing how much disappears when we are away... ::) before next Monday.
#cantcomequickenough
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 02, 2014, 01:00:02 PM
What???.........Nooooo passports!!? :P ;)
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 02, 2014, 02:14:54 PM
Well spotted, BL. May have left home without them because I was faffing with incidentals :o :o
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 02, 2014, 02:28:34 PM
 Holiday Ironing being done tonight ....Am I the only one who despite putting on a clean ironed T shirt ...within 30 mins I look like i've been dragged through a wet hedge backwards??..While it seems everyone around me is cool, smart and fresh.And a  white T shirt screams out..."Ketchup jump on me" :'( :'(  (stands back and waits for whinge about eating ketchup!!)
Post by: Babs on June 02, 2014, 04:53:21 PM
If you want to eat ketchup BL then you go right ahead!  :laugh:
K4E......not sure there is a connection between going on holiday and speed awareness courses? But I'm sure you'll have lots of fun! My daughter has one booked for while you are away so I'll let you know how she gets on.
You do realise that we are expecting daily reports to the usual standard that you have set yourself? We need some fun yet informative posts on here!  ::)
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 02, 2014, 05:23:09 PM
No BL, you and my BH must be separated at birth. Within seconds of leaving our accommodation he looks like a bucket of water has been thrown over his head ;D
Babs, I had to make sure I got my speed awareness course in before we went on holiday otherwise it would be the points for me >:( Just one of those things on my long list of to do's! I go on Saturday - valuable preening time had to be sacrificed to keep me out of court.
Yikes, I'm not sure I'll manage daily reports...that's Antler's domain. I will though get some erudite person to pretend to be me and blog whilst I sip cocktails and watch the sun go down. BH has just laughed out loud at the suggestion I might SIP cocktails :o :o
Post by: Kalkan regular on June 02, 2014, 05:32:12 PM
My speed awareness course was hilarious as I was with a very funny group of people and the instructors had a good sense of humour as well as making sure we had taken in the information. My husband and daughter's were turgid. We all got caught within a few weeks of each other....my husband & daughter don't usually speed!
I love the anticipation each time we are going to Kalkan, it never fades.
Post by: Babs on June 02, 2014, 06:06:39 PM
Ok K4E I'll forgive you if you do every other day! There are so many of us desperate people out here who have months to go before it's our turn and I don't know if it's just me but I don't want to hear about dogs any more, my own excepted, I want to hear about people having fun, eating lovely meals and generally having a good time!
I admit....I'm shallow!  ;D ;D
Post by: Pompeyalbie on June 02, 2014, 06:21:35 PM
Go on K4E get those blogs written, it's been weeks since anybody wrote anything in the Holiday Reports, seems ages since we were there & it's less than a month. How are the roads holding up? Are the tables & chairs encroaching the roads? Have they stopped traffic in the old town at night? I'm so nosy.
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 02, 2014, 08:56:09 PM
Bogs written???..writing on bog walls is not the kind of behaviour we have come to expect in Kalkan don't you know!!  what! what! what!  ::) >:D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 02, 2014, 09:00:48 PM
Blue Lizzard, shouldn't you be ironing your shirts ready for packing!!! lol.  K4E look forward to reading your BLOGS if you have time, feel guilty even asking, as don't ever manage to do them myself, but promise I will try this year!

J
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 02, 2014, 09:29:33 PM
Moi????...Nooooo!! I have a mrs lizard for that kind of thing don't you know!! ;D :angel:
Post by: tortoise lady on June 06, 2014, 09:59:03 AM
When this post started I was also "one month today".   It is now "tomorrow" for me.  Cases almost packed - I think only shoes to be added now.   The decision will not be which are my prettiest shoes, it will be which are the most comfortable.  I have just had to fit in a visit to the chiropodist to deal with the damage caused trying to wear in a new pair of shoes.  I really really hate new shoes. So you won't see me in the shoe shops in Kalkan.   I will be wearing unglamorous comfy (if ancient) shoes but hopefully they will enable me to enjoy Kalkan properly.

Ancient shorts yet again go in the case.  Just remembered I haven't tried them on this year...............  The case could almost pack itself because I always take the same things to Kalkan.  Over the years some things have had to be dropped off the list because they strangely seem to have shrunk.  Could lots of visits to Kalkan restaurants over the years have anything to do with shrinking clothes??

Paperbacks packed in case I don't get on too well with my new Kindle.

One more sleep and its off to Gatwick on my way to Kalkan.   First sight of the bay will probably be of twinkling lights this time as we are having an afternoon flight.

Post by: msr on June 06, 2014, 11:01:41 AM
I am with you on the shoes tortoise lady, I only ever wear Birkenstocks in the summer here and in Kalkan. After a foot operation 6 years ago and having to endure 4 months in plaster I was just glad I could wear anything on my feet. My consultant recommended Birkenstocks and I have never looked back. He said it was something to do with the contours on the inner sole of the shoe that makes the foot sit in the correct position and alleviates any stress to the feet.
They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I am not a shoe lady and cringe when I see what some people wedge their feet into. Once you have worn a Birkenstock sandal ,alas ,you will never want to put your feet into anything else.
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 06, 2014, 11:57:40 AM
I had a mild flirtation with Birkenstocks a few years back. I know you can get some blingy versions but I never quite fell in love with them as you have msr. I have Croc flip flops that I find more comfortable for daytime and a variety of sparkly (heavy) sandals for the evening wear.
We too arrive in darkness, TL and have done now for the past 4 years. I do miss "that view" in daylight, but the twinkly lights are almost as good.
When I started this thread it was 9th May - where has the month actually gone? On Monday we will be winging our way to paradise 8) 8)
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 06, 2014, 12:31:40 PM
Goodness me, that month has flown by!  :o

It's been fun hearing about your preparations - hope the speed awareness course went ok too.  :)

Have a wonderful holiday and you too tortoise lady. Safe journeys to you both and hope to hear from you both as roving reporters  ;D
Post by: Haybo on June 06, 2014, 06:29:27 PM
You can't go wrong with a Birkenstock. Each year they come out and are so comfy. They are a bit 'industrial' looking tho! 2 pairs will be accompanying me in 7 weeks time......
Post by: suzyq1 on June 06, 2014, 08:39:33 PM
You are right Lizilu 20 that month has flown by. Just want to wish both K4E and Tortoise lady  fabulous holidays. Looking at the weather you have timed it perfectly! Looking forward to hearing about your days and nights out.
Thought of you the other day K4E when I rang the doctors for another prescription of 'anti fat feet' pills! I will be forever in your debt on your advise on that. It was fantastic having 'slim feet' on holiday!  I can even remember my 18 to 30 holidays when all of us girlies would laugh at our 'clubby' feet …..think that was definitely due to too much alcohol!

Safe journey and hope to hear from you soon reporting from sunny Kalkan!

Post by: kalkan4eva on June 09, 2014, 08:01:53 AM
Its today!!!!!
I feel like a child on Christmas morning ;D ;D
Post by: Babs on June 09, 2014, 08:41:13 AM
Have fun!  :laugh:
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 09, 2014, 01:07:26 PM
Yipoeee!!! 8) 8) 8)

Safe journey and have a fab holiday!  :)
Post by: Babs on June 09, 2014, 10:20:29 PM
Oh lizilu we are sad......we are nearly as excited about K4E's holiday as she is!  ;D ;D
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 10, 2014, 01:05:12 PM
So true Babs  ;D

Come on K4E, you've been there about 12 hours now - surely time for a holiday report  ;D ;D ;D
Post by: clara 50 on June 11, 2014, 11:15:23 AM
Have a safe flight and a marvellous holiday. Never tried Birkenstock's myself, seem to stick to the flip-flops and the blingier flip-flops for the evening with a the tiny wedge. Always buy new ones bit inevitably resort to the slightly Kalkan bashed old favourites. Think I'll be on the safe side with my old buddies as still wobbly after a broken pelvis, don't fancy another tumble and definitely could do without the dreaded blisters. Don't know about anyone else but plasters just refuse to stick to my poor old trotters and to be honest my feet look bad enough as it is. Probably look better in ankle or should I say Kankle socks lol.
Post by: msr on June 11, 2014, 04:59:12 PM
Clara if I were you I would invest in a pair of Birkenstocks, I have a friend who has had the most unbelievable back problems/pain for the last 20 years which has resulted in a very difficult back op, by an expert flown in from Switzerland, she has also had 2 hip replacements. All of this has left her with dreadful problems with her feet. The only thing that gives her any relief are Birkenstocks and she has them in every colour available. She wears them all year round and often says without them she would be housebound.
I don't know what it is that makes them so comfortable for people with dodgy feet etc. but whatever it is it seems to work.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal