Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: HEATH on April 21, 2014, 03:48:53 PM

Title: Moonlight bar
Post by: HEATH on April 21, 2014, 03:48:53 PM
Anyone know when moonlight bar will be opening
Thanks
Title: Re: Moonlight bar
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 21, 2014, 04:14:51 PM
They usually open on May 1st, although they did open for Easter a couple of years back when Easter was quite late in April. If they didn't open in time for Easter, it will probably be next week.
Post by: HEATH on April 21, 2014, 04:37:16 PM
Thanks kalkan4eva
Fly out on the 1st may so good timing ;D ;D
Post by: Christina on April 22, 2014, 05:43:52 AM
Sorry to disappoint fans, but unless something drastic happens (and it could well do in KK!), there will be no more Moonlight Bar as it was in years gone by. Whilst they are working on a new bar/DJ area and dance floor inside, there is no longer room for masses of tables and chairs outside due to the reconfiguration of the roads. The new concrete bollards come right up to the entrance of the building. If they tried to put tables on the other side of the bollards, they would be using the pavement, which in turn would force pedestrians onto the roadway - which would be dangerous. Looks like it could be the end of an era.
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 22, 2014, 07:45:17 AM
Are the Spikes still across the road by the taxi rank that make It (sort of) pedestrian at night?...cant see it being big enough inside..or cool enough!  ::)
Post by: alantj on April 22, 2014, 08:58:25 AM
None at the moment but there still some work to be done to finish of the end of the road, so it is possible that the spikes could be reinstalled.   
Post by: Lizilu20 on April 22, 2014, 09:26:24 AM
I just presumed that the tables and chairs would go after the bollards on the pavement and road at night due to the pedestrianisation of the old town. Have you been told officially that this won't happpen Christina? It will be a sad day for us if we can't sit on that slope and watch the world go by in August  :(
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 22, 2014, 12:15:55 PM
The tables and chairs were always in the "road" after a certain time anyway...weren't they? You couldn't tell where the pavement ended and the road started and its a pretty big space just to be road..? My understanding is that the old town would still be pedestrianised in the evening..? Perhaps this has now changed..?
As BL says, inside is far too small, unless its going to open up tardis-like at the back..? Even then, its that outside viewing capability that makes Moonlight...well Moonlight. It would indeed be a sad day if this was the end of Moonlight as we know it, but I can't help feeling they will find a way to work around the new layout. Those tables represent a lot of pages in the notebook :-\
Any updates you can give us would be most welcome, Christina. Eyelashes also :-*
Post by: Tatilde on April 22, 2014, 12:41:05 PM
Controversial I know, but hopefully there won't be any room for those huge TV screens!
Post by: Babs on April 22, 2014, 01:45:08 PM
I'm with you on that Tatilde....I have no problem with people watching sport etc while on holiday I just wish they could do it indoors.
(Ducks head and waits for flack!!)  ::) ::)
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 22, 2014, 02:05:23 PM
It might stop Moonlight and Utopia - they appear to have the same problem according to a photo I've just seen - but not Yali Bar. And theirs is the biggest TV of all ::)
Everyone is entitled to their view and appreciate it might be annoying for people who don't like sport and/or do not think they are in keeping with the village. Its another of those demand dictates things.... :-\
Post by: Tomcat on April 23, 2014, 10:57:07 AM
There's always the Kleo Bar, that's always been our favourite.
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 23, 2014, 11:20:02 AM
Does Kleo Bar have a large TV Screen? I can't remember...?! Perhaps we need a list of places that have large TV Screens and those that don't...there's hopefully something for everyone :)
Post by: msr on April 23, 2014, 01:34:15 PM
No, the Kleo does not have a large TV and long may it last. We always go to The Kleo bar as it is quiet. I am afraid I agree, by all means watch whatever sport but do it inside. I actually find it quite sad that people can't go away for a holiday without having to keep up with whatever is happening sports wise. I am pretty sure I am in the minority though!
Post by: geirarne on April 23, 2014, 09:53:03 PM
Tomcat!
I guess When the new plans for the harbour is implemented Then Kleo Will be gone.
One has already started with Fener.  At least modifying the appearance off Fener.
Kleo is very Nice but i worry for it for the future. That there Will be no space for kleo in the new plans.
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 23, 2014, 10:13:48 PM
Each to their own, msr. For some people catching up on sport is part of their holiday - the two are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of things people do on holiday which annoy me, but I wouldn't be so rude as to call them sad....
Post by: geirarne on April 23, 2014, 10:32:51 PM
K4e!
I have never watched sport at kleo. However it has the most fantastic view to the sea and to
The Beach from the tables next to the  fence.  Regarding Your Comment on sport: let just people
Do what they like during their holiday. If watching sport  is what they get happy and relaxed
Over Then full respect from my side. We cannot all like the Sun, swimming,good food, fantastic view,Nice turkiish people. ;)
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 23, 2014, 11:16:04 PM
geirarne, thank you. Absolutely people should do what they want on holiday...personally I love the sun, swimming, good food, nice views and the wonderful Turkish
people, many of whom I count as my friends. But I also like shopping, reading, spending quality time with my BH and, when they are with us, our children, having a drink or maybe two :-[ and hang me from the rafters, catching up with not only sport, but news and sometimes even work whilst I'm away. Thats just me...! The FIFA world cup is only once very four years and it's quite an important tournament to those who follow football.
We have been to Kleo Bar lots of times, and sat at the very tables you mention. We will make an extra special effort to sit there many times when we are there in June, just in case the new plans mean we lose this lovely bar as we know it right now.
However, that said, this thread is about Moonlight Bar, quite how it's got high jacked is beyond me?....we will incur the wrath of the moderators :-\ :-[
Post by: Christina on April 24, 2014, 03:22:28 AM
Even if the tables at Moonlight are moved over the bollards onto the pavement, I think the gradient of the new road would be too steep to accommodate them.

Fener is now sadly a shadow of its former self - although the views, food and hospitality are still wonderful.

As for Kleo, I have been down there a couple of times this week, and although the little terrace directly outside the bar is open, the tables and chairs are no longer across the road overlooking the beach. According to the new harbour plans - this space will be given over to 'public use', and all the other bars/restaurants will also have to close down their waterside tables to allow for the development of the new public space. Whether Kleo is preparing now for the change, or has just not got round to putting the rattan furniture out - I do not know.

I know the season, according to some, is not yet in full swing, but I hope the Belediye will soon be removing the piles of rubbish and smartening up the public parts of the harbour and steps. It doesn't bode well for when the council will be in sole charge of the maintenance of the whole stretch of the harbour front from the Pirat to the Pinar Bufe behind the beach. At least at the moment each restaurant sweeps and hoses down their waterside dining terraces every day to keep them spotless. I hope I am wrong but I cannot see the council keeping on top of the daily discarded food debris, dog-ends and plastic bottles from picnic goers in the new public areas. Let's see.

Many bars in KK have over the years become institutions for some Kalkan lovers (including myself), but given the substantial changes that are afoot it might be best if visitors know about the impact of these before they arrive to avoid disappointment. There are still lots of great places to go, and the magical KK atmosphere has not changed.
Post by: Babs on April 24, 2014, 08:49:08 AM
Thanks for keeping us up to date Christina. I have a confession to make......in 9 visits to Kalkan I have never been to Moonlight!! There I've said it!  ;D
No particular reason why not, but have been to lots of other bars....I suppose we all find favourites?!
Sadly for us two of our favourites are Kleo and Fener. Kleo is/was a lovely place to sit and watch the sunset and I could wax lyrical about Fener for a long time.....breakfasts with that view!!
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 24, 2014, 01:36:25 PM
I think Moonlight Bar is the Marmite of Kalkan, people either love it or hate it. We go to lots of different bars and have our favourites too - Fener is a favourite place to eat, we don't tend to go there just for drinks - but maybe we will this year. We do go just for ice cream though  :) Kleo is our beach bar....off the beach at 6pm and straight into Cocktail Hour. But favourites come and go - we loved Sandals for years then they changed it into a fish restaurant. They turned it back into a bar - last year? We did go a few times but it wasn't the same as the old Sandals...sadly. Nice though :) One of favourite places was Ice Sultan Bar - really lovely staff and great cocktails, but sadly that is no more :(
If Moonlight aren't able to spread their tables outside, albeit on a steeper slope, and create its usual atmosphere it will be sad for all those who, like us, make this place a regular stop during our stays. The slope was always fairly steep here, IMO - deceptively so :-[ :-[
Post by: Babs on April 24, 2014, 04:42:44 PM
Slightly off the main subject of Moonlight but sticking to the subject of bars, our favourite new find last year was Fountain terrace. Such a lovely chilled place for pre dinner mojitos! I hope they continue to do well this year and will be open in October.  :angel:
Post by: Charlie on April 24, 2014, 05:29:50 PM
I heard Fountain Bar wasn't opening this year.  :(
Post by: Kuzu on April 24, 2014, 05:47:09 PM
Yes we heard that from the guy running it last year....we loved it, great bar & atmosphere.
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 24, 2014, 06:18:59 PM
Shame..that was one on our list to try!! :'(
Post by: Lucy Lou on April 24, 2014, 06:38:52 PM
I tried Fountains late last year (one of the few new restaurants & bars on my 'To Do List' I actually got to !) & yes he knew he was having to move but I thought he was fairly positive about alternate premises.

It may be wishful thinking on my behalf, the cocktails were very professional, or due to them if he told me where I've forgotten.  Hic.  :-\ :-\
Post by: pattaya on April 24, 2014, 08:14:35 PM
Hi The Fountain bar will be opening this year in a different location as he had to move. its still in the old town, I think he will update via his facebook page soon.
His drinks were the best !
Post by: Babs on April 24, 2014, 08:49:20 PM
What a shame they had to move....they had done the terrace so nicely!
Post by: seasick on April 27, 2014, 09:00:10 AM
never really saw the attraction of moonlight bar, music always loud etc
much prefer yali bar but even better down in the harbour
Post by: clara 50 on April 29, 2014, 12:06:52 PM
Oh no more balancing act on a rickety chair after one or three efes  :o, gutted!!
Post by: SarahS on May 04, 2014, 09:16:31 PM
My Dad is in Kalkan at the moment and says Moonlight is opening Monday! Will update as I hear anything..
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 05, 2014, 11:48:02 AM
The Fountain Bar has relocated to where Eden used to be, on the road between Moonlight and White House.
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 05, 2014, 01:35:27 PM
Moonlight Bar was open when we walked by earlier but no chairs on the road side of the pillars so it will lose it's people watching appeal I think.
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 05, 2014, 01:38:50 PM
Is the town pedestrian at night? Are the spikes up?..Maybe they will sneak out in the road when that happens? and I suppose it depends on how well any regulations are enforced if they do ;)
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 05, 2014, 01:47:04 PM
No spikes in place & it doesn't look like provisions have been made to add them, Friday night was murder for traffic in the old town but Saturday didn't seem as bad,we did hear that they will be stopping traffic in the evenings soon. The traffic from the roundabout by Corner up to Deniz bank has been busy of late, not sure if it's the double parking or chevron parking but we've been in 2 traffic jams since we've been here.
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 05, 2014, 02:47:38 PM
It's early days....I can't help feeling they will find a workaround. Maybe wishful thinking as this place is part of our Kalkan experience, but let's see what happens :) Moonlight has been part of the fabric of the old town long before there was a tourist industry so it would be a great shame if they are no longer the Moonlight Bar we know.
Post by: SarahS on May 05, 2014, 05:33:40 PM
As I type my Dad is sat outside Moonlight with a cold Efes, it would appear normal service has resumed!
Post by: kalkanbabe on May 05, 2014, 07:17:50 PM
Hooray!!!  :) :D :laugh:
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 06, 2014, 08:44:44 AM
Fab news, thanks SarahS!  :)
Post by: baclava on May 06, 2014, 08:57:07 AM
They were still open at midnight last night with music coming out of the doors.
Post by: Kajfish on May 06, 2014, 09:34:26 AM
No, the Kleo does not have a large TV and long may it last.

We were in Kalkan during the 2012 Olympics and Kleo definitely did have a couple of large screen TVs as I remember we sat and watched some of the events and the closing ceremony there.  I wonder if maybe they just bring the large screens out when there's a big event happening ...
Post by: riodog on May 06, 2014, 08:20:56 PM
How much is a large Efes at Moonlight this season?
Post by: HEATH on May 06, 2014, 08:53:21 PM
10 lira sat here now enjoy my 5th one I think!!! And yes table and chairs outside as normal !
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 06, 2014, 09:07:00 PM
Good to know HEATH  :)
Post by: riodog on May 06, 2014, 09:14:41 PM
Thanks Heath.Are the TV screens up as well?
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 06, 2014, 09:27:31 PM
Looks like new comfier chairs or do my beady peepers deceive me??? :D
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 06, 2014, 09:37:49 PM
No, BL, your peepers do not deceive you...new chairs for the new road  :) tables are still the same though. Just tired to post a picture in the Gallery but getting the same message as another member tying to upload an avatar  :(
Post by: HEATH on May 06, 2014, 10:23:58 PM

No tv screens as yet but new chairs
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 07, 2014, 07:36:41 AM
Do they have seat belts fitted ???? ::) ::)
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 07, 2014, 10:58:49 AM
Still can't load a picture to the Gallery, but I'm hoping everyone will be able to access this link to view the outside of Moonlight last night...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203758823034333&set=p.10203758823034333&type=1&theater

For those of us who do pop in here, it will be a welcome sight....and a relief that those rickety old chairs have finally gone :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 07, 2014, 11:25:00 AM
Nice one K4E! It looks fab doesn't it. I couldn't see the TV, unless my eyes deceived me? I can't wait to be back there, my bum plonked on one if those lovely new chairs.  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 07, 2014, 12:11:14 PM
They usually bring a large screen TV out when required and take it back in when the "event" is over. However the bracket is usually permanently attached to the last pillar and it doesn't look it is from that photo...? They have always had a large TV inside as well but it looks like its all lit up inside now, so who knows what treats lay in store for us ;)
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 15, 2014, 12:02:10 PM
Word is that the Spikes are back in place across the road at the top of the village by the taxi rank..i'm guessing this will mean evening "sneaky chairs" spreading out  ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 15, 2014, 12:34:01 PM
hope so....! Not that I ever want to be on the slope ::)
Post by: clara 50 on May 15, 2014, 01:41:46 PM
Oh, chairs back on the slope, yeah! Wouldn't be the same enjoying an Efes or four trying not to topple and end up  " a**e over t** "with an avid audience. Mind you quite glad to hear ricketyless chairs this year, still rehabilitating from a bust pelvis  OW   :o
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal