Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: theinspector on March 04, 2008, 08:50:04 AM

Title: SAndals Club A FISH RESTAURANT!!!!
Post by: theinspector on March 04, 2008, 08:50:04 AM
 ^-^ I have just hear they are turning sandals into a fish restaurant what a shame as if there is not enough restaurants in kalkan. It has always been a great venue for meeting people &friends etc down by the harbour. It has been the hub of kalkan. So now where do people go ??? Its going to be the YACHT POINT  for us now
Title: Re: SAndals Club A FISH RESTAURANT!!!!
Post by: felicity on March 04, 2008, 09:33:44 PM
OMG - I too had heard that rumour..and I think it is a great shame...in my opinion - Yacht Point is for the teenagers and twenty somethings (and is where my daughter hangs out) and Sandals is where the forty somethings hang out (that''s me..  ;)) and does my daughter want to be seen with me..I don''t think so....I''ll take a look next time I''m out - coz I did like the dance floor at sandals and the lovely big a/c machine to keep me cool while boogieing away to Michael Jackson..!!   ;D :o
Post by: theinspector on March 05, 2008, 12:56:28 AM
 :) ha ha hi felicity plz let me know whats happening we are not out until may. Yaeh i know what you mean with yact point but we have a good laugh with Ozgar and staff etc and after a few effes i feel like in 20 again until i try and dance ha ha ha
mick
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 05, 2008, 10:47:27 AM
where am i going to throw some shapes now?  mind you my mrs will be glad as she reckons lizard can''t dance!! ;D ::)
Post by: Linsue on March 05, 2008, 01:40:34 PM
It is true that Sandals will be fish restaurant, no confirmation as to who will be running it though.
I guess there is always Moonlight - an older crowd than Yatch Point!

Post by: Diane on March 05, 2008, 02:09:52 PM
I believe the restaurant will be run by the same family that run it now. So (with apologies for no doubt incorrect spelling) Hoodar and Ahmed will still be around. As I said in one of my previous postings I don''t know whether they will retain their late night licence too, perhaps they will. I do think it''s a shame, Sandals was always a really popular venue, but in the end it''s up to the owner what they want to use premises for and time will tell if they are right. I wish them good luck.
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 05, 2008, 02:24:52 PM
the Moonlight is an older crowd because they all stop to catch there breath after going up the hill from the harbour.  ;D >:D
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 05, 2008, 03:10:37 PM
...or if they need to counteract the effects of the Ice Sultan Bar cocktails on their way back to their accomodation... ;D ;D

Moonlight and Sandals, whilst both attracting us 40 somethings, offered different things. Can''t see me dancing on the slope...I find it hard enough to stand after a few G&T''s let alone strut my stuff  :o

It''s a shame Sandals will be a restaurant now, we really loved the atmosphere in there...we will just have to invade Yacht Point until all the teenagers get fed up of the "oldies" cramping their style and the leave to find a new venue. It''s a plan  >:D
Post by: felicity on March 05, 2008, 04:11:43 PM
Im with you kalkan4eva - although catering for us - over 40''s - Moonlight and sandals are different - like you - i can''t see me strutting my stuff (LOL) on that slope at the moonlight - it is just a nice place to sit and relax and enjoy a drink and watch the world go by (and recover before the last haul home) whereas Sandals is deffo the groovy dancing oldies place.....somehow Yacht point doesn''t do it for me in the same way....you watch my daughters face if all us oldies turn up to invade them...(let me know when you''re going to try that plan and I''ll come with you...  >:D >:D ;D ;)
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 05, 2008, 05:17:45 PM
instead of scooters outside will i see zimmer frames on my next visit!! :o
Post by: theinspector on March 05, 2008, 05:42:55 PM
:-)scuse me may i remind you lizard us oldies can alos use scooters. They may be electric but we can still use em  ;D ;D ;D and going down the pirat hill 60mph no problem :-)with a handbrake turn at yacht point
Im up for invading yacht point we will have to plan an oldies night. s say fri/sat/sun/mon/&tues
:-))
Post by: felicity on March 05, 2008, 05:55:18 PM
..and weds/Thurs....those young ''uns won''t know what has hit them....(even if it is  theInspector on his electric scooter doing his handbrake turns..LOL!!)  ;D ;D

(oh and blue Lizard - at least Zimmer frames stay upright outside the Moonlight bar..more than I can say for some of the people...never mind the scooters parked outside there..!!  ;))
Post by: ILoveKalkan on March 05, 2008, 05:59:57 PM
Oh gutted! Really enjoyed Sandals!

Does anyone know when this will be happening?
Post by: rhythm on March 07, 2008, 01:37:38 PM
They are already working inside the bar, destroying&building.. should be ready by may.
Post by: ILoveKalkan on March 07, 2008, 05:04:39 PM
We''re coming in May. Was hoping to have a final dance  :D Ah well, we''ll be able to try it out
Post by: rhythm on March 10, 2008, 12:11:26 PM
   Latest news on Sandal: They are still keeping half of it as a night&dancing bar. Apparently it is gonna be little smaller with dancing floor and capacity than it was, but will still be there. Talked to Tamer (shiny head barmen) who is here now and he said they have divided and now are re-arranging both restaurant and bar sides...
Post by: felicity on March 10, 2008, 12:46:48 PM
oooeeerrr - that''s fantastic news....I can cope with a smaller dance floor - it was quite big and pretty empty..just me, billy no mates, boogieing away quite often..!!  My daughter will be hugely relieved that us oldies won''t be invading Yacht Point... ;)
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 10, 2008, 01:16:55 PM
So glad.....a collective sigh of relief from over the over 40''s contingent. My BH is practicing his best Dad dancing as we speak. ;D ;D
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 10, 2008, 01:33:32 PM
dad dancing is an ancient art!! it takes years of practice and ridicule to be able to move your legs at completely different time to music,the strange arm signals are a way of stabilising whilst performing these manouvers, while ordering another round in code from the bar... ;D ;D
Post by: msr on March 10, 2008, 04:10:39 PM
Best we don''t go to Sandals then, my husband''s dancing has been described as '' a spider on acid''!!! ''Enough said!
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 10, 2008, 04:42:01 PM
come on down..lets boogie!!..i promise lizard won''t eat the spider.. ;D ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 10, 2008, 05:29:19 PM
you forgot to mention the arrythmic head movements that are a major part of Dad dancing, Blue Lizard!!  ;D
As soon as our offspring see the head movements and scrunched up face that precede any attempt to get on the dancefloor by Mr Kalkan4eva they head for the bar. The "dance on the way to the dancefloor" Shuffle that follows, before the real business of Dad dancing comes into play are just too excruciating for them to bear  :laugh: If their mum gets up to "party like it''s 1999" they generally leave the venue  ;)
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 10, 2008, 05:34:23 PM
does he do the "pointy arm moves with pointy finger?"..and is he first up for the birdie song? ;D ;D
Post by: felicity on March 10, 2008, 05:35:41 PM
Just my point proven then, Kalkan4eva...we need Sandals AND Yacht Point....as you have said - a collective sigh of relief (especially from my daughter...  ;D ;D).  Do you think we could persuade Sandals to host a reopening - 70''s disco night....just so long as it when I''m out there...i''ll be first on that dance floor....ymca, boogie nights; I will survive (the original!), dancing queen and all those other 70''s classics.... ;) ;D
Post by: felicity on March 10, 2008, 05:36:44 PM
Yeah Yeah - and Night Fever - how could I forget that classic..!!   ;)
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 10, 2008, 05:59:08 PM
classic pointy finger song!! ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 10, 2008, 06:06:05 PM
yes, Blue Lizard lots of pointing goes on.. :laugh: But the Birdie Song is not his forte (along with Superman and Agadoo) but if you get Jon Bon Jovi''s Living on a Prayer on the playlist, he will add air guitar to the rest of of his moves  ;D ;D

I''m with you Felicity on the 70''s night...bellbottoms are being packed as we speak  :D Incidentally, all my best 70''s gear - lovingly stored in the loft for the past thirty-odd years has been totally raided by my eldest daughter who loves to tell friends she''s wearing "vintage". Knew I was keeping it for a reason  :laugh:
Post by: felicity on March 10, 2008, 06:19:25 PM
OK - kalkan4eva and you other 70''s fans....when are we all out there to organise this 70''s night...??? ??? ???  i don''t mind going down to ask Tamer (is it...??) in April when we''re next out...??  :D  - but I might have to raid some vintage 70''s clothes - mine got chucked out with the ark..!!   :o
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 10, 2008, 06:38:30 PM
agh! living on a prayer....reminds me of the days on building sites with my buddies all playing Air shovel!! ;)
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 12, 2008, 06:46:43 PM
Not my favourite piece of music but my BH is more of rock than mowtown...but we both like to boogie on down to a bit of Barry White. Felicity, we''re there in Kalkan in June and no need to raid the vintage shops for your 70''s gear - just look around the High Street. High waisted flares, platform shoes and girly blouses are everywhere..may not suit you Blue Lizard  ;D ;D !!!
Having said that, platforms are an absolute "no-no" in Kalkan if walking forms any part of your evening  :laugh:

Perhaps the guys in Sandals could have a EK 70''s night once a month...?
I''m getting carried away with myself it seems like only you and I are up for this Felicity and it would be a sad old night with just us on the dancefloor doing the Carwash  O0
Post by: felicity on March 12, 2008, 07:23:27 PM
Ooohhheerr kalkan4 eva - when in June are you going to be there..coz I am out for a girlie week with 6 others (of a certain age...LOL) and we could have quite a 70''s party..they will be deffo be up for it...(2nd week in JUNE.....plz say you''ll be there and we could get Sandals to organise..!!)  Can we add B52''s - Loveshack..another 70''s classic - well in fact all motown and beegees and michael jackson too...im getting well excited...  O0 O0 9(and you''re right - the old clothes are all coming back in..but it will be flips flops with my flares..!!)
Post by: felicity on March 12, 2008, 07:24:38 PM
Oh and i meant to say - i''m quite used to being the only saddo on the dance floor in Sandals...who cares when you''ve had  a few rakis..!!

Post by: Chucky on March 12, 2008, 09:00:05 PM
As Sandals is likely to be a Fish Restaurant then Felicity, it''s highly likely you will be the only person dancing!!!!
Will you be dancing to the "Funky Mullet"?  LOL
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 13, 2008, 08:52:48 AM
dance along to "rock lobster" or listen to Barry Whiting :D
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 13, 2008, 03:37:59 PM
Sounds great Felicity, more than three''s a party IMO  :laugh:
We are in Kalkan 6th-22nd June and would love to come to a 70''s night at Sandals. We need to encourage more blokes to attend as my BH may feel more than a little outnumbered with all us Laydees doing the funky chicken on the (smaller) dance floor. 8) 8)
I do pity anyone trying to eat a nice bit of Sea Bass that night... >:D >:D

Let us know how you get on when you''re out there next month (you lucky thing!!)
Post by: felicity on March 13, 2008, 06:41:50 PM
Great stuff Kalkan4eva...I have already warned my friends of impending Sandals 70''s nite in 2nd week in June - will be in touch nearer the time to sort the finer details and it will be good to meet you too..!!  Not sure where (and if we want to..!! >:D >:D) find any more men from....I like the idea of the laydees nite - don''t worry - we''ll look after your OH (sorry BH) he will have a great evening too... ;) ;)

I do pity the munchers in the restaurant as we strut our funky (or should I say fishy) stuff.... O0 >:D
Post by: kolay gelsin on April 06, 2008, 05:57:56 AM
Yes Sandals will be a fish restaurant and there is a fish market opening next to it, i think along the same lines as in Fetiye.Allegedly the market will sell Black sea fish as well as local ones not that there are many local fish left. I personally wasn''t keen on the old bar but it''s good they are keeping part of it open.
Post by: kensarrived on April 13, 2008, 02:24:46 PM
I''ve been following this thread with interest regarding Sandals "Fish Restaurant" and whilst I don''t wish to start a fenzy of activity wouldn''t it be nice to find a restaurant in Kalkan that actually served "fresh" fish as opposed to the frozen variety. Perhaps this is an opportunity for Sandals to really prove that a Kalkan restaurant can build a reputation for good fresh food that isn''t overly priced and of average quality with a price tag that deserves better.

Everyone certainly got me dreaming of the old Turkey when the restaurant pulled the fish "alive" from a net hanging in the harbour, and fresh lobsters ran around the floor chased by humourous waiters worried about you waiting for your meal: "Onels Restaurant" in Datca comes to mind.

I would be delighted if anyone could point me in the direction of a restaurant in Kalkan (discounting Islamlar) that actually serves fresh well cooked fish! Pehaps it is an opportunity for a local entreprerneur to begin supplying fresh fish & seafood to restaurants via the excellent fish market in Fetiyhe? If not perhaps it''s a thought for my retirement in Kalkan.
Post by: Kalkan regular on April 13, 2008, 05:29:11 PM
Hi Kensarrived. Eating out in Kalkan is not compulsory and you seem to be happy with your own cooking so there isn''t a problem. Some of us actually enjoy eating out, don''t want to cook for ourselves and enjoy the food served in the restaurants. There are still places in Turkey as Kalkan was 20 years ago and I''m sure I would visit them rather than Kalkan if I felt as strongly about the restaurants as you do. I''m sure they will also have lovely people too.
Post by: fidimax on April 13, 2008, 05:40:34 PM
dito.If you dont likethe food in kalkan dont put other people off,the majority of people on this site seem to love the food . stick to the bbq it must be cheaper !  :-X     p.s. sorry If I have offended any one ,but ,this has made me throw a bit of a wobbler !
Post by: kensarrived on April 13, 2008, 07:42:30 PM
We seem to be answering two threads here "Best Restaurants" and  "Sandals". For those following the Sandals thread can you tell me where I can eat "Fresh Fish" in Kalkan?
Post by: sally on April 13, 2008, 07:45:49 PM
Don''t think you can, Ken.
Post by: BevJam on April 13, 2008, 10:17:57 PM
As i said on the other thread Adems restaurant ha fresh fish that his brother had caught. he''ll come to collect you and drive you there and back.
BJ
Post by: felicity on April 14, 2008, 11:26:05 AM
2 nights ago - in Trio our family were presented with a plate of 4 or 5 different types of freshly caught fish - and my OH and father in law had the fresh sea bass which they said was extremely tasty.  I think you CAN get fresh fish in kalkan - but not every restaurant and every night but if they have it - they will present it to you to look at...and by the way - I am a fan of the restaurants in kalkan - not the cheapest - and prices have increased in recent years but still the presentation, the service and generally the quality of the food is far superior to anything in the UK at a comparable price and the whole dining experience is simply to die for.   :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 14, 2008, 03:11:03 PM
Adems is just outside Kalkan and as BevJam says they will collect you from your villa and the fish is fresh - the telephone number is available on the main EK website under restaurants, I think.

Personally, I''ve never had a bad fish dish in Kalkan! Perhaps my palette isn''t as well educated as yours Kensarrived???  ;) Incidentally fish that is frozen is better for you as it retains its nutrients, vitamins and flavours as the freezing process is commenced within hours of the catch. Often "fresh" fish has been around for a couple of days before it reaches your plate and looses much of its goodness in that journey.
Just something to add to this debate...
Post by: Charlie on April 14, 2008, 07:33:40 PM
When in Kalkan at Easter I asked what fish was on the menu in Aubergine one night.  I was given the two choices and without asking was told by the waiter which one was fresh and which one would be coming out of the freezer.  So no one was trying to fool me - it then was my choice.
Post by: littlelin on April 15, 2008, 05:10:37 PM
And there''s always Extinct Fish Restaurant next to Oz Adana Pide.
Post by: felicity on April 15, 2008, 05:29:42 PM
Quite right Charlie - I was at Akdeniz last night with 2 fish on their menu - and was told which was fresh and which frozen and i chose the most delicious fresh sea bream..yummy.!!!  So they will tell you straight and then you have the choice!
Post by: Hoca on April 15, 2008, 08:19:37 PM
Exstinct is closed out of season and only sells tea but it''s good and cheap,and yes you are right the Akdeniz is good and if you ask you can eat more traditionally eaten fish like sokar and have it served as all fish should be, entire with lemons lettuce and raki.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal