Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: pattaya on January 13, 2014, 05:17:52 PM

Title: New Year
Post by: pattaya on January 13, 2014, 05:17:52 PM
Hi
Bit late in posting, but got back from a brillant week in Kalkan last week. we went out for New Year and it was fantastic. We went to Aubergine on NYE which was really good fun, food wasn't brill but on NYE its about the party .. and that was fantastic. Everyone seems to gather there and the atmosphere is really good.
Watched the loony dock on NY Day, they had lovely weather for it.
And then had a walk along the beach at Patara.
We had a mixed bag weather wise some really nice days, sat at fenner & Kleo enjoying the sun with a drink or two..
We also discovered Kaya Restaurant which for no particular reason had never been to but thoroughly enjoyed our evening there. Great food and a really friendly staff, will definitely be going back again.
Also had a couple of meals at Hunker which is always good, and again the guys are so friendly.
Did venture into the old town as best I could, and can confirm yes its a mess hope they get that sorted by the start of next season. Shame as i took my In laws with me and couldn't really show them how beautiful the old town is.
Really enjoy going to kalkan out of season as  its great to explore the surrounding sites in more moderate temperatures.
Horrendous Flight home !! Turbulence was awful came back to a very wet SE London : (
Roll on May for my next trip. :laugh:
P x
Title: Re: New Year
Post by: Irene on January 13, 2014, 08:43:50 PM
Lovely to read your New Years report.  Kalkan definitely has a different atmosphere out of season, very relaxed and the sunsets are fantastic!   We were supposed to be coming over too for New Year, but due to illness we had to cancel at the last minute, we were so disappointed, we would possibly have been on the same flight by the sound of it! However, all is not lost, cases are already packed, so we thought why not book for March, which we have done, counting the weeks (again)!
Post by: satovod on January 14, 2014, 12:53:21 AM
 I decide not to stay because i forget to take my ear-plugs with me.

NYE party in last year (2012-2013) was not SO loud.
Post by: pattaya on January 14, 2014, 04:54:07 PM
Hi Irene
What a shame you didn't make it..
You would not be sorry about missing that flight I can tell you ,enough to put you off ever flying ..
At least you've got another trip already booked..
hope you enjoy
P x
Post by: Irene on January 14, 2014, 07:53:01 PM
Thanks Pattaya - hope  to post an update for everyone then.  Enjoy your May visit x
Post by: Christina on January 15, 2014, 06:51:10 AM
It has been said before, but it's such a shame that the flights into Dalaman and the tourist season end in October. I'm told that the weather throughout November was glorious, and whilst I arrived to wind and rain on Boxing Day, since then the weather has again been great.

The NY Eve parties in KK are, of course, legendary. I've been swimming several times at the town beach, including the Looney Dook on NY Day. It has also been perfect weather for road trips - we were the only ones at the Myra ruins yesterday, which was magical.

In preparation for my first winter stay in KK, I brought over warm duvets, electric blanket, hot water bottles, pashminas and throws - but have needed none of these. Even the cast iron stove and oil filled radiator have not been required, as having glass walls and being south-facing, the apartment has been effectively heated up by the sun during the day.

In spite of the awful roads, it has been a brilliant month. We have basked in full sun outside Kleo, and enjoyed drinks at dusk at Aubergine, before wandering home to a slow cooker full of meltingly tender lamb and a good bottle of wine. Kas square has been buzzing and the Fethiye fish restaurants a joy. And tomorrow, there is nowhere else I would rather be than having my birthday lunch at Adams.

There are just a few die-hard Kalkan-lovers/post New Year revellers left here now - all willing to pay the price of having to endure the transfer to Antalya airport, but take it from me, it will have been worth it. If, like me, you are not a great lover of Christmas/New Year in the UK, if you are prepared to take the rough with the smooth weather-wise, and are prepared to see a more peaceful Kalkan, I would certainly recommend a winter break here.
Post by: Kalkan Magic on January 15, 2014, 09:42:34 AM
Hi Christina
Thanks for the post - sounds wonderful. We were there for New Year and as always enjoyed ourselves immensely. I agree with all of the above and hope the rest of your trip is a good one. :)
Post by: Charlie on January 15, 2014, 08:44:57 PM
Thanks for the post Christina, very envious as we didn't make it out to Kalkan for this NYE :(
Happy birthday for tomorrow and enjoy celebrating at Adem's restaurant.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on January 16, 2014, 06:57:43 AM
Sounds absolutely wonderful Christina, and happy birthday for today.  Say hi to Adem from us and look forward to seeing you in April X
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal