Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: antler on September 11, 2013, 07:33:57 AM

Title: Antler's Holiday - Day 11 - Sept 11th
Post by: antler on September 11, 2013, 07:33:57 AM
The sun has already illuminated the hill on the far side of Kalamar Bay and like the other mornings, the air is completely still. There is just the trickle coming from the pool water pump.  This sunrise feels just for me. 

I am feeling rather choked this morning so it’s best that I am on my own. It always gets like this as the remaining days are counted on far less than one full hand. I hate it & I have to overcome it, but it is there and for real. I keep telling myself that if I came away for a week, I would still have half my holiday left and so not to be so blummin’ stupid.  Plus, we have some lovely things still to do. Endings are, after all, only the beginnings of beautiful things.

Last night, the oven cooked a wonderful meal.  So simple, so tasty. The top shelf roasted some courgettes, the middle shelf crisped-up two shoulders of lamb from Yussuf, that had been cooking for 4 hours really slowly, and the bottom shelf cooked the creamy, garlicky potatoes. I made some fresh mint sauce. All a far cry from the burned sausages, which was the first meal I ever cooked when leaving home at 17 years old. With little money, it was learn to cook or die!  (I burned those sausages in an old, not non-stick pan and went to the pub!)

Mrs Soon-to-Be had come earlier to massage Mrs A’s shoulder, to keep it moving after her recent operation. That seemed to work a treat, according to the relief on Mrs A’s face. As the evening progressed, Mrs S-t-B applied her trained physiotherapy skills on my neck and shoulders, causing me to sink into the sofa by the pool, totally at peace with the world.

They had kindly brought with them some bottles of red wine, including a Likya Patara, Okuzgozu – Bogazkere, 2011, which was really rather good and went perfectly with the lamb. The cats did well, too, for the first time this holiday, curling up totally motionless on the corner of the patio, full of meat.

The day had been quite busy in the kitchen as I had my last spurt of cooking.  One of the nicest things about cooking in this new, bright red kitchen here at Villa Kismet, is that the window next to the side door frames the islands of Mouse and Snake, so I always have it open, with that view over my shoulder as I cook.  Fabulous.

Using up the remaining potatoes, I made a large Spanish tortilla that took almost a tray of eggs. Apparently, I could have beaten the eggs with a whisk, had there been one, but I always prefer to use a fork. And my bowl for beating the eggs was a recycled Algida Vanilla Ice Cream tub.
I turned this enormous beast out onto the oven grill tray that had been covered with a couple of layers of foil, to let it cool. Just the yellow-fleshed potatoes, seasoning and eggs.  My breakfast for today.

Then, I made a Spicy Coleslaw with shredded cabbage, grated carrots, spring onions, chilli, sweet paprika, lime juice & zest, with equal portions of mayonnaise & plain yogurt. Seasoned well, it is light and refreshing with the chilli & lime that lifts it – and helps towards our 5 a day!

The remaining chicken fillets were put into a marinade of Harrissa Paste & red wine.

Job done.

The boats were well gone out as I finished the cooking and the wind increased, bringing with it some white horses out in the bay. I took a G&T up onto the roof terrace and soaked up some sun, dozing as warm breeze took away the fierceness in the sun. Keane was on the iPod, again, bringing back memories of our fabulous day out on Yildiz 2.

I dozed through the midday sun and left it rather late for the video shoot of the Beach Crocs Test. So, quickly down the steps to Fenner for a light lunch.

Oli chose well, with the Saffron Chicken. I enjoyed most the breeze flowing into the restaurant one side and out of the other. The waiters were into their banter, trying on my hat and sun glasses as they strutted through the restaurant.

After lunch, we walked through the streets of restaurants on our way to the T-Shirt stop, behind Leon. Swallowing hard as I accepted they had to be “XL” in size, I settled for 2 polos - a grey Paul & Shark and a black RL, with their contrasting colours where they button up. Something smart to end the holiday.

Later, and well after we had finished our lamb dinner, our peace by the pool was shattered - no, enhanced! – by The Young Ones coming back from their evening out.

Jo & Rick had started at The Nar with some cocktails, then a  Seafood Crepe and Prawn Guvec, followed with an Ottoman Kebab and Vok Lamb for their mains.  Oli & Beth had enjoyed cocktails at Leon, then a Tyre Kofte which Oli is still talking about this morning.

After shisha at Yakamoz, their evening had ended at Mojito. My evening ended feeling really pleased that they had had a really enjoyable time and I just wanted to curl up like the cats.

Antler
Title: Re: Antler's Holiday - Day 11 - Sept 11th
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 11, 2013, 05:02:11 PM
It's such a joy to read your reports, Steve.
I too am sad and emotional that you are going home soon....back next year? ???
Post by: brian j p on September 11, 2013, 05:50:39 PM
Fab reports,  reading them makes  me feel as if I am in Kalkan  right now 
Post by: antler on September 11, 2013, 06:12:50 PM
Thank You, brian j p.

The holiday is fast ending...

But, hey! Tonight has yet to happen, and after a snooze up on the roof, I am ready for my first evening dinner down in town, after 11 days of my 14 days here.

So, no surprises it is too my favourite restaurant in Kalkan where I know Mehmet & Kitty will deliver the quality & service that I most appreciate.

And the clock will click on one more day as I end Thursday Sept 11th, at peace with the world and in a place I love.

Antler
Post by: tortoise lady on September 11, 2013, 06:36:16 PM
I could almost taste your lamb supper after reading your description.  My mouth is watering again just thinking about it.  My culinary efforts next week will be of a much more modest standard.

Enjoy your meal out tonight - look forward to hearing about it.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal