Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: marquic on July 17, 2013, 10:56:54 PM

Title: The Chinese in kalkan
Post by: marquic on July 17, 2013, 10:56:54 PM
Hi, has anyone tried the Chinese at the start of the Kalamar road? It never seems to get a mention? Just wondering.  Been in Kalkan 3 years in a row but just don't seem to be drawn to it.
Title: Re: The Chinese in kalkan
Post by: misty on July 17, 2013, 11:02:28 PM
Avoid......
Post by: marquic on July 17, 2013, 11:10:40 PM
Thought as much!
Post by: Korderekid on July 18, 2013, 05:11:57 AM
It's owned/ run by lovely people who are very friendly, the setting is delightful, tables in the midst of lush gardens and the food is okay.

We have been there several times over the years.
Post by: kevincat99 on July 18, 2013, 06:53:01 AM

Always wondered how it survives as no-one ever seems to go there !
Post by: samson on July 18, 2013, 08:30:17 AM
 :) thats right blue lizard. we have used it a few times and have found it very nice. makes a change (like the indian) when you are out here for weeks at a time. even my husband who will not eat chinese at home enjoyed it when we went there. :)
Post by: Kuzu on July 18, 2013, 09:49:54 AM
We have eaten a few times over the years, as a nice change, as other say in a peaceful setting, friendly service and reasonable food.  It can take a while for the food to be served but sitting in a peaceful setting with a cool drink is not an issue, and chatting to the owner, that's part of its attraction.
Post by: clara 50 on July 18, 2013, 11:14:18 AM
We stay two minutes from the çhinese and have used them often but never had a sit down meal. My hubby loves to go there for a takeaway, they fetch him a seat where he'll enjoy an Efes or TWO sitting under the twinkly lights in the trees. There are always people dining and it seems an intimate environment. The owners are so friendly and never fail to come out and wave or speak when we pass by on our way out. Never had a problem with the food they always give us a few free dishes which is nice, it's always been tasty although sometimes with a little of their own twist. Definitely going to have a sit down this year, it looks quite romantic and as it's on our doorstep well, ideal for a changel
Post by: amber on July 18, 2013, 11:20:14 AM
Have never been myself (rarely eat out) but have only heard good things about it.
Post by: Korderekid on July 18, 2013, 02:44:38 PM
Can  never fathom why some people seem to take pleasure in being unpleasant to or about others.

It would appear that misty has no concern about the effect his rather silly, childish response might have on the livelihood of the owners.

As we live here we are lucky enough to have the time to sample a very large selection of Kalkan restaurants. We have our regular favourites, our special occasion places and those which we don't visit often but when we do, always say that we should go more regularly because we have had such a pleasant experience. The Chinese restaurant is for us, always worth a visit.
Post by: brian j p on July 18, 2013, 05:32:09 PM
definitely going to try both the Chinese and the Indian restaurants when out next in Sept/Oct.
Post by: Buster on July 18, 2013, 05:56:34 PM
In Kalkan there is a large range of Turkish cuisine which although delightful can bring on what is called Menu Burnout
and both the chinese and the Indian restaurants have given my taste buds a good workout after one to many Turkish Meze

Regards   Buster.
Post by: chickengeorge on July 18, 2013, 06:16:06 PM
I have never been to the Chinese despite walking past it numerous times. No one here is going particularly overboard about the food quality which probably means it will not be as good as we might be used to at home. Unlike the write ups about the Indian which seem very good. I guess it's a matter of still giving it a try and making your own mind up.
Post by: marquic on July 18, 2013, 07:18:08 PM
Thanks for the input. Straw poll wise sounds like its worth a try then.
Post by: misty on July 18, 2013, 10:08:22 PM
Can  never fathom why some people seem to take pleasure in being unpleasant to or about others.

It would appear that misty has no concern about the effect his rather silly, childish response might have on the livelihood of the owners.

As we live here we are lucky enough to have the time to sample a very large selection of Kalkan restaurants. We have our regular favourites, our special occasion places and those which we don't visit often but when we do, always say that we should go more regularly because we have had such a pleasant experience. The Chinese restaurant is for us, always worth a visit.

You're right I'm not worried about how will it damage their business, get it right and you will get positive feedback. Someone asked for a comment and I gave it....avoid..I could name several others as well I would say the same.
Post by: onelove on July 19, 2013, 12:21:09 AM
We also have not tried it, but will def try out when we are back in Kalkan, oh Loves Chinese food, albeit, not my fav.
Post by: clara 50 on July 19, 2013, 10:39:57 AM
Go for it onelove, as I said before the food is tasty and everything cooked fresh and the welcome there is as good as anywhere. When my hubby's popped down the road for a takeaway (and a few crafty Efes) if we've fancied a cooking free night in, he's been made so welcome. The last time I wondered if he'd  gone to China for it  ???  Apparently he was encouraged to sit down and relax and the non english speaking mum of the family played him some of her classical music collection, he said it was a bit like a night out anyway. Needless to say I won't be back at the villa warming the plates next time I'll be tagging along with him.  Better still we'll be  having a sitdown drinking in the Chopstix experience under the twinkling trees  :)
Post by: Kalkan regular on July 19, 2013, 07:32:25 PM
When did you last eat there misty?
Post by: Buster on July 19, 2013, 08:28:25 PM
He Eats there after he is finished at the Go cart Track ;D

Sorry a Joke between me and Misty >:D

Post by: misty on July 19, 2013, 08:34:02 PM
Only ate there once LOL restaurants only get one chance in my book and that's it...
Post by: Kalkan regular on July 19, 2013, 08:42:25 PM
Thank you Misty but how long ago did you eat there?
Post by: Kalkan regular on July 20, 2013, 10:12:27 AM
That's what I was trying to work out. I think it is unfair to condemned a restaurant for a meal you had 2 years ago.
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 20, 2013, 10:56:24 AM
I think this thread has gone exactly how the original poster intended....just my opinion :P
Asking about the Chinese restaurant as your first post, inviting comment of a negative variety (never seems busy etc..), hitting the jackpot with Misty and immediately agreeing with his dismissive view.....I'm not convinced he/she is genuine despite the "worth a try" post later on, the damage was already done by then.
Again....just my opinion ::)
Post by: kalkankiki on July 20, 2013, 11:28:53 AM
I have not eaten there for ages but this post has inspired me to get a take out in the near future. I shall let you know. The folk who run it, like many people in Kalkan, work hard for their business and do not deserve instant dismissive comments that can damage their livelihood.
Post by: chickengeorge on July 20, 2013, 11:37:38 AM
Why can't someone have an opinion on a restaurant without being vilified by everyone else. I tried Gourmet once, didn't like it, won't go again. There are plenty to choose from. I doubt if a few comments on here will damage a business. Trip Advisor probably does and this restaurant is languishing well own the list, mainly because of very few reviews. This suggests hardly anyone goes there but is not the fault of anything posted here.
Post by: misty on July 20, 2013, 12:28:48 PM
Well said chickengeorge.......remember you are up against the rose tinted glasses brigade....For the record I thought the Chinese was rubbish two years ago and I have no reason to think its changed....
Post by: clooneyrooney on July 20, 2013, 02:44:27 PM
I dip in and out of Enjoy Kalkan because I find some of the threads very tiresome but I am compelled to post a reply on this matter ...
I have never eaten in the Chinese restaurant so I cannot judge it but my experience of it is that I have walked past it many times, at various times of the year, at different times of the day and have only ever seen very few customers eating in there ... This alone is a good indication of the establishment to me. I have often wondered how it manages to keep going but now so many of you have vowed to try it (or return) booking might be necessary in the future.
I totally agree with Chickengeorge comments in relation to reviews on Trip Advisor.
It appears to me that some members have embarked on a personal vendetta against Misty and any view he might express. It is not nice or necessary & is certainly not helpful to other members.
It makes no real difference when a person was last in Kalkan, just because some members are in Kalkan more frequently than others doesn't mean that their opinion is worth anymore than others.
Post by: misty on July 20, 2013, 03:04:12 PM
I dip in and out of Enjoy Kalkan because I find some of the threads very tiresome but I am compelled to post a reply on this matter ...
I have never eaten in the Chinese restaurant so I cannot judge it but my experience of it is that I have walked past it many times, at various times of the year, at different times of the day and have only ever seen very few customers eating in there ... This alone is a good indication of the establishment to me. I have often wondered how it manages to keep going but now so many of you have vowed to try it (or return) booking might be necessary in the future.
I totally agree with Chickengeorge comments in relation to reviews on Trip Advisor.
It appears to me that some members have embarked on a personal vendetta against Misty and any view he might express. It is not nice or necessary & is certainly not helpful to other members.
It makes no real difference when a person was last in Kalkan, just because some members are in Kalkan more frequently than others doesn't mean that their opinion is worth anymore than others.

Well said clooneyrooney......it appears that some with some EK members their opinion is the only opinion and you must never disagree with it.....but I say it as I find it.
Post by: Buster on July 20, 2013, 03:06:46 PM
The current free advertising that the Chinese restaurant is getting should see a slight increase in customers over the short term; it will be interesting to see if the food is good enough for them to keep people coming back, I hope so.

We Brits do seem to have a problem about complaining, I am just as guilty and tend not to complain at the time but just don’t go back.   Misty is very forthright in his views and perhaps we should all try to get rid of our rose coloured specs and complain straight away when we get poor service.

Regards   Buster 

Post by: Blue Lizard on July 20, 2013, 04:55:21 PM
I have removed my posts from here and taken off my rosetinted spectacles
Post by: Kalkan regular on July 20, 2013, 06:02:42 PM
I don't think I have rose tinted spectacles but I think my objection was the one word condemnation of 'avoid' with no context. If it had said something like we ate there 2 or 3 years ago and thought the food was poor quality or the service was poor or the food was served cold or the food was poor value it lets the reader make a decision as to whether they want to eat there or not.

How long ago you are basing your comment on is also important as restaurants do change. A change of chef, owner or front of house manager can make all the difference in the quality of experience.

A number of years ago in the last week of October I got food poisoning after eating prawns at a well respected restaurant in Kalkan. If someone asked about that restaurant now I don't think it would be fair for me to just say 'avoid'.
Post by: headroom on July 20, 2013, 10:46:43 PM
Most services/shops will be judged on first experience, we have written off several restaurants that other members of this forum have raved about as a result of our personal experience. As Misty said, you only get one chance, there are so many (maybe too many) restaurants in Kalkan, why would I bother to go back just because someone said it was great?
  As for the Chinese restaurant? we had a mediocre take away several years ago . . . . . one chance . . . . . failed! . . . .  if it has changed hands maybe it has improved?
  Where I would differ from Misty is I would probably not comment on a negative, maybe we all should occasionally?
Post by: Chris_S on July 21, 2013, 12:56:32 PM
Everything, without exception, has positives and negatives.

What is crucial, when taking a stance and passing on an opinion, is elaborating on it so that others reading it can make their own judgement on the experience and then deciding whether the opinion is justified or not.

Think of it as being a bit like the legal system's jury.

Just saying 'avoid' without saying why, leaves people with no information as to the basis of the opinion - it may just be that things didn't gel, or you were laid up with unspellable complaints that spoiled your stay in Kalkan.  Likewise, if it's wonderful, say why, and the reader can tell whether you really had a good experience, or whether you were slipped a free meal to say nice things.

I've only had a couple of indifferent meals in Kalkan, and everyone else enjoyed their evening in both cases, so it was probably my take on the evening, rather than an experience I should tell the world about.

As for complaining, we've always done such things discreetly and constructively - the idea is to improve things and avoid errors in the future, not close the place down or get a free night out.  The reaction of the establishment to your comments is what decides whether you return or not ...
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal