Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: Mrgrimsdale on July 06, 2013, 04:36:13 PM

Title: wheres the best fry ups in kalkan
Post by: Mrgrimsdale on July 06, 2013, 04:36:13 PM
We want big portions, tons of bacon, the works for not much money. Any suggestions?
Title: Re: wheres the best fry ups in kalkan
Post by: pw on July 06, 2013, 04:45:47 PM
do you want a quintessentially authentic Turkish fry up or will a foreign English one do?
Post by: chickengeorge on July 06, 2013, 05:04:52 PM
A ton of bacon is not going to come cheap in Turkey. Have you seen many pigs around? Might have to shoot some out of the sky. ;)
Post by: antler on July 06, 2013, 05:06:17 PM
Lol! I'm loving all this nonsense! Barking mad!!

Just 8 weeks until I get my lips around a goldfish bowl.........

Antler
Post by: Kalkankiwi on July 06, 2013, 05:14:22 PM
Forget the fryup!

One of our favourite experiences when staying in Kalkan is going up to Islamlar, after a sleep in, and having a Turkish breakfast at Degirmen. For between 12 and 15 lira you can have warm fresh bread, butter, honey, jam, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, olives -black and green, lightly fried egg (boiled, scrambled or poached if you prefer), cheese , tea or coffee and water. It is cooler up the mountain and sitting on Degirmen's first floor balcony looking out over the valleys to the Snake and Mouse Islands is without a doubt the best way to start any day on your holiday.

Post by: Charlie on July 06, 2013, 05:19:23 PM
Antler glad someone is loving it, personally I'm bored senseless with it.

Thanks KK must give Digirmen a try, sounds idyllic.
Post by: Mrgrimsdale on July 06, 2013, 06:30:01 PM
I AM SO NOT UNDERSTANDING THIS. ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS ARE THERE ANY GOOD RESTAURANTS SELING A GOOD QUALITY ENGLISH FRY UP. IF NOONE HAS ANY CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTS PLEASE DESIST FROM YOUR IRELEVANT RAMBLINGS. Kev
Post by: pw on July 06, 2013, 06:40:23 PM
No need to shout! I think one or two of us are a little confused. In one post you're effectively saying there's no place for a curry house in Kalkan and in the next you're looking for a greasy spoon.

Anyway, best English breakfast in my opinion is Chillies. 15tl last time I was there.

Hope this helps.

pw

Ps there isn't a chippie as far as I know

Post by: chickengeorge on July 06, 2013, 06:43:28 PM
Equally confused! And asking for a lot for not very much. This is Kalkan. However, try Cafe Vita along the Kalamar road.
Post by: brian j p on July 06, 2013, 06:53:50 PM
10 slices of bacon , 4 fried eggs, 6 slices of fried bread, 6 fried mushrooms, 4 fried tomatoes ,  4 slices of fried black pudding all for 1.5 heart attacks , you could try Liverpool Leeds or em  just about anywhere in UK  and you would  save a lot of money by not having to go out to kalkan.

ps: however if yuo have withdrawal  symptoms and are happy to fry your own,  , supermarket opposite taxi rank sell decent size packs of bacon at decent prices, 2 slices a day per person and the pack will last all week for about 30tl

Post by: Mrgrimsdale on July 06, 2013, 07:08:51 PM
Thank you PW. Useful info and I will check the restaurant out. I know this is a Muslim country and to be respectful but many of the Turks Ive met so far love bacon and I have seen dozens of menus offering English fry ups. Some habits are hard to break. Kind regards. Kev
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 06, 2013, 07:59:21 PM
we bring our own bacon, sausages and black pudding and cook in our accommodation....then buy lovely fresh eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes in Kalkan to compliment our British contraband. Don't think a "fry-up" is quite Kalkan's thing ::)
Post by: BevJam on July 06, 2013, 10:13:01 PM
Well I have some sympathy as I do get the occasional pang for a good English breakie and it's your hols! So it's up to you . In my humble opinion Cafe Fener does an excellent one for 16 lira with a stunning view. Enjoy;)
Post by: antler on July 06, 2013, 10:49:36 PM
It was tounge in cheek, charlie, just before I presssed the DELETE button.

Goodbye EK.
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 07, 2013, 09:43:34 AM
Mags, pork products are available to buy in Kalkan so I don't think I'm being disrespectful at all - pragmatic is the word I'd use as whilst these products are available to buy they aren't particularly cheap or good quality.
I think your post was very patronising....and I don't live in England, what an assumption that everyone who likes this kind of food does...
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on July 07, 2013, 10:02:07 AM
Mrgrimsdale as you have only ever logged in using a Turkish IP address maybe you dont need as much help as you make out ;)
Post by: Charlie on July 07, 2013, 10:30:53 AM
Anter I'm sorry wasn't getting at you at all but as I said bored with this nonsense.  It's one new boring thread after another.  Think Mr EK has summed it up in his post.  All I can say is people be very careful what you wish for.
Post by: Mrgrimsdale on July 07, 2013, 11:24:35 AM
I am sorry you feel that a first time visitor to Kalkan seeking advice on the forum is inappropriate. Even though we are here and can research ourselves it always helps to have experienced people such as forum members to help out. And yes of course I would have a Turkish IP address as I am staying here!
Post by: pattaya on July 07, 2013, 11:48:06 AM
Just a suggestion Mr Grimsdale why don't you just enjoy your holiday .. Instead of just winding everybody up .
Could think of much better things to do if I was there !!!
Post by: Mags on July 07, 2013, 11:49:58 AM
K4e: fair point - my apologies. I have now removed my post.
Post by: Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on July 08, 2013, 12:47:06 PM
Ahhhh I see Mr Grimsdale, have you decided to come to Kalkan early? Your first few posts suggested that you were visiting for the first time in August  ???
Post by: Mrgrimsdale on July 08, 2013, 05:15:57 PM
Hi
Yes but we took a last minute deal at the Pirat saving us lots of money over previously planned expenditure.

BTW, the Fener fry up was delicious and excellent value so thanks for the heads up. Tonight we seek ambrosial nirvana in Kas. Kasims has been recommended as the place to eat or somewhere called Barche.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal