Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: Blue Lizard on May 22, 2013, 12:45:47 PM

Title: PRICES??
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 22, 2013, 12:45:47 PM
It is usual around this time for some kind soul to boldly carry out a survey of beer and wine prices and post whos selling what for what...I know this is a pretty hard task and if I was in Kalkan I would willingly sacrifice my valuable time travelling around various watering holes in the name of research...your mission if you choose to accept will of course become deniable if you should start dribbling,slurring incoherently,dad dancing and belching loudly...EK members will deny all knowledge of you....I wish you well   ;) ;D
Title: Re: PRICES??
Post by: clara 50 on May 22, 2013, 01:07:35 PM
What a brilliant idea Mr Lizard. It's a shame we're not out there for a while as I'm sure my OH would be up for it. Only problem would this survey have some sort of funding  ???
Post by: tonik1945 on May 22, 2013, 01:27:51 PM
Private funding only allowed at present as per current government guidlines >:D >:D >:D
Post by: alantj on May 22, 2013, 01:50:27 PM

Results from limited research carried out during our trip out in April

Cheapest    Cafe Ev   3.75 TL (Tuborg)
                                          Foto Piza 3.99 TL (Effes)

Dearest      Agora 8TL Effes

Post by: clara 50 on May 22, 2013, 01:53:42 PM
 Tonik I'm sure we could find a loophole, or even maybe grease a few palms, but that's just between us  OK  ;)
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 22, 2013, 02:05:24 PM

alantj.....We stay near Ev so a cheap Tuborg for a change would be quite refreshing...you will be mentioned in dispatches for this unselfish piece of research
Tonik...no funding this is a covert mission! :P

clara 50...in place of funding would instead recieve the heartfelt thanks of your fellow EK members..this should drive anyone into a frenzy of alcohol tasting...greasy palms are usually derived through that kebab on the way home ::)
Post by: Faywray on May 22, 2013, 02:13:09 PM
We arrive tomorrow afternoon - staying at Fidanka. Will happily conduct the research as I am sure we will be frequenting a variety of watering holes during the next two weeks. A cheeky cheap Tuborg sounds ideal for to recharge the batteries after the 0330 start we have tomorrow.
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 22, 2013, 02:18:38 PM
keep us posted..and god speed on your perilous mission ;D
Post by: pw on May 22, 2013, 03:57:25 PM
Large efes tl5.5 @ cafe ev.  It's 8  - 9 most places in town.
Post by: Christina on May 22, 2013, 06:58:42 PM
Strange times! I just paid 12.5 TL for a small bottle of Turkish cider in Fener. It's too much. I was paying 8.50 TL there in April. On the other hand, in an effort to compete with Merkez across the road, Ozalp (Lounge) on the street - was today offering a glass of wine for 5 TL. Get it while it lasts!
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 22, 2013, 07:45:36 PM
What's happened to Eniste? He was always up for this challenge ;)
Cider was horribly expensive last year....!! Tiny bottles of Magners were making severe dents in K4E bag fund until I put my foot down :)
If anyone could also post where the cheapest supermarket wine and Efes deals are, that would be great.....there is no pressure to buy said alcohol but it would be rude not to :-*
Post by: chickengeorge on May 22, 2013, 08:01:46 PM
Findik offering large Efes at 5TL and large chicken durum at 4TL. Ata has large Efes and glass wine both at 5TL and good food.
Post by: Kalkan regular on May 22, 2013, 08:42:13 PM
I agree, Ata has great food and very cheap drinks.

When we were there in May cider (Magners, they didn't have any other including Turkish cider) was much more expensive in the Yali supermarket than I though we paid last year.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 22, 2013, 08:56:27 PM
Sonny in Smile Supermarket last year though was selling 1lt bottles of Harman White wine, which was very drinkable (equivalent to a nice glass of Chardonnay) for around 11TL, and it was chilled in their chiller. Hopefully he will have more of the same this year!  :)

Jayne
Post by: tonik1945 on May 22, 2013, 09:01:29 PM
I will be partaking in this research in 18 days and hope to be both comprehensive and dedicated in my task  :D
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 22, 2013, 09:20:34 PM
Don't forget ..you will be strictly undercover agent tonik,any attempts at breakdancing and singing along to agadoo
 after your 15th bar and all knowledge of you will be denied ;D
Post by: Helshe on May 22, 2013, 09:25:15 PM
I wish all you brave souls who have taken on this dastardly mission set by Blue Lizard a safe and successful sortie into the appropriate establishments. Have fortitude my friends, see you on the other side!!  :laugh: ;D
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 22, 2013, 09:25:51 PM
I'm following this thread with bated breath and thank you in advance, all you intrepid explorers on your mission!! I will take note of all your feedback then hopefully swallow the evidence when we are there in August!!  :)
Post by: michelle from newcastle on May 22, 2013, 09:27:19 PM
Hope I can join the mission too. I will check out the cocktails. Of course efes and wine oh and gin too!
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 22, 2013, 09:42:44 PM
Good on you Michelle! You may have to go undercover, so better pack a disguise or at the least a false beard!! Good luck!  8) O0
Post by: michelle from newcastle on May 22, 2013, 09:45:43 PM
Ha ha . Need to think of my disguise now. Ideas welcome x
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 22, 2013, 10:17:16 PM
Large Efes at Hunkars TL6.5 from an informer, as we're not out there.
How's that for undercover work!
B
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 22, 2013, 10:21:33 PM
Well done 00Bob  ;D
Post by: michelle from newcastle on May 22, 2013, 10:26:21 PM
Am having a blonde moment. What is equivalent to 1 lira x
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 22, 2013, 10:30:59 PM
About 35p x
Post by: michelle from newcastle on May 22, 2013, 10:32:57 PM
Thanks. X
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 22, 2013, 10:42:40 PM
Michelle, this is in no way scientific and depends on the current exchange rate, but ad a quick calculation based on lira being nearer 3 to a pound. I usually times the price in Turkish lira by 3, add a nought then add a bit more on e.g. if an Efes was 8 lira, I x by 3 =24 = £2·40, then add a bit on e.g. £2·80. It's about right and it works for me, although OH despairs of my reasoning!!
Post by: BarbH on May 22, 2013, 10:58:27 PM
I don't drink Efes.....how about G&Ts?
Post by: Agent Ottoman on May 22, 2013, 11:22:23 PM
We arrive tomorrow evening. MORE than happy to contribute to this market research! Full reports will be on your desks upon our return. We are on the champs already so the reliability and credibility of said reports could be called into question...hic hic  >:D ;D >:D
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 23, 2013, 08:45:09 AM
Stirling work all of you....Her maj's government is proud of your contribution to this perilous task....may I remind you it is fraught with danger and a report of one of our agents singing and dancing to  "gangnam style" has hit my desk...remember it's a mine field out there!! ;) ;D

Post by: Bdancer on May 23, 2013, 09:51:36 AM
Yes, G&T's, V&T's and cocktails please and supermarket wine prices
Good luck!
Isis
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 23, 2013, 10:20:21 AM
BL, in a couple of weeks you will be "out in the field" yourself....joining the ranks of operatives already undertaking this secret mission on behalf of others....God Speed to you and the other agents :) Oh and so will I  ;D 8)
I promise that I will do my best to do my duty to *prices*, to serve the Queen and help other people and keep the *EK Community* law.
Some of you may recognise that abbreviated motto  ;)
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 23, 2013, 12:07:38 PM
Yes indeed!! I shall be disguised as a 6'6" sumo wrestler in sun glasses and a trilby so as not to give away my identity....ooops!
we need more reports of supermarket prices of efes and supermarket wine prices ...several of our operatives are carrying out surveillance as we speak but no report yet...also Beer prices in Kaya,yali bar ,Moonlight,
we also are looking for the whereabouts of the elusive rotisserie chicken? this rare commodity seems to be vanishing..last year only the little deli up from kaya and before A101 had these...( I think they were really starlings !tiny! ::) ..perhaps a new opening for a chicknasium? they could be beefed up before going on the hot magic roundabout!)
ta ta for now from lizard HQ ;)

Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 23, 2013, 01:06:22 PM
I shall be disguised as a 6'6" sumo wrestler in sun glasses and a trilby so as not to give away my identity....ooops!
Which part is the disguise then BL? The Sun glasses?  :D
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 23, 2013, 01:31:03 PM
This is what I was afraid of.....too much booze and anarchy breaks out!   your task is far from complete and frivolities can wait until our field work has been carried out and all agents are safe.. indeed my sunglasses conceal my bloodshot eyes whilst hiding where my lizardy peepers are peeping ;)
Post by: pw on May 23, 2013, 04:31:05 PM
Large efes 5tl at new Ata restaurant. Beat that...
Post by: lilly on May 23, 2013, 07:51:05 PM
 Rogue agent reporting back after last surveillance mission in Kalkan 2 weeks ago. A large Efes in Ozlap Restaurant was  5Tl, also  5Tl for a glass of House wine.  5Tl at Fotos Pizza for large Efes.
Supermarkets prices varied immensely, up to 10Tl difference per bottle of wine. We found DVD shop opposite Taxi Rank was the cheapest for Angora, red/ white. L
Post by: michelle from newcastle on May 23, 2013, 10:23:52 PM
1 week today and I will be reporting in my secret outfit. Ins it easy to connect to free so do as not done it before. I don't want to fail my mission x
Post by: tonik1945 on May 24, 2013, 12:36:43 AM
Hi Michelle
Are you asking if its easy to connect to free wifi by chance? If so yes lots of restaurants offer free wifi I use Merkez or Cafe del Mar where I can have a coffee and catch up. Also your accommodation might also have it.
Post by: chrissy1 on May 24, 2013, 08:04:07 AM
Hi Michelle, if i remember rightly you are staying at Samira hotel - they have free wifi you just need to get passcode from them and you are ready to go.
Post by: michelle from newcastle on May 24, 2013, 06:19:22 PM
eeee yes I was asking that , looks like I was on the drink already by that message doesn't it !!! fab, I will hopefully be able to report when im there then & yes im at the samira. , 6 sleeps now ;D xxx
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 24, 2013, 06:59:15 PM
Just spied via sneaky peek at midtowns tariff..on Martin E's thread about live music he attached a link to facebook..on photos you can see a price list ..........Large Beer 6tl,malt beer 7TL, Miller 8TL,Ice coffee 7Tl,Gin Bitter lemon12TL,Vodka12,Gin& tonic12TL,Wine 6TL,raki 6TL.................now you know lizards have beady eyes!!
keep em peeled gang! ;)
Post by: michelle from newcastle on May 24, 2013, 07:40:28 PM
oooh well spotted, spirits are seeming a bit expensive arnt they :( x

iv just looked & sure it says 16.50 for a baileys !!! surely not
Post by: tonik1945 on May 24, 2013, 11:46:01 PM
Imported spirits are very expensive. Suggest buying a bottle and taking it in >:D My first stay in Kalkan (in unnamed hotel) I bought some wine in well in fact bought a box of red in! On the grounds it weighed less than a couple of bottles and would last longer. Imagine my horror when I arrived to see a large notice on back of door saying it was forbidden to bring food and alcohol/drinks into hotel. I hid it in the wardrobe and of course had a drink each evening before going to hotel bar! When I left there was wine left which I gave to another guest who immediatley grassed me up except I had left by then. I was told this the next time I visited the hotel it caused great amusment :D
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 25, 2013, 07:55:06 AM
You can get "local" spirits which are not imports so cheaper..these are perfectly fine if you are having a mixer with it...can never see the point of demanding a certain brand then drowning it with mixer...saw a man creating such a  fuss because he wanted Glen Fiddich then added copious amounts of coke to it.... :o
Post by: pw on May 25, 2013, 08:19:36 AM
The local gin's unpleasant. Well worth paying the extra for Tanquery!
Post by: BarbH on May 25, 2013, 09:00:28 AM
I have always had the local brand of gin and tonic and find it  OK,  OH has the vodka and has never complained.  The almond liquer is also very nice.
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 25, 2013, 09:04:58 AM
I'm not a gin connoisseur by any means, but the gin we bought from the supermarket on the harbour was fine when mixed with tonic. I only wish I could remember  the name of it. It was by far cheaper at that supermarket too. Not the one under the pirat hotel, the one opposite trio etc.  :)
Post by: Sandancer on May 25, 2013, 10:46:14 AM
Just thought to add my twopennorth to the Efes price debate. On the way here from the airport the driver stopped at the petrol station with the swimming pool and they charged 18L for an Efes and an apple tea. We will not be stopping there on the way back.
Post by: misty on May 25, 2013, 11:48:32 AM
I think you will find most of the imported spirits sold in the bars and restaurants are topped up with the local equivalents.....I had a Gordon's once and it tasted nothing like the real thing...
Post by: michelle from newcastle on May 25, 2013, 09:51:50 PM
Tonik I can't believe someone grassed you that is shocking . Hope I can take drink in the samira or I will be gutted x
Post by: Sandancer on May 26, 2013, 06:34:03 PM
Michelle, if you are having an apartment at the Samira then you are basically self catering and you can take anything you like in. There is a fridge and a hot plate and dishes, cutlery etc. etc.
I only used the fridge and the kettle. Cups are small so take a couple of mugs with you and just leave them there when you come home.  If you in a hotel room on B&B I don't know if you are permitted to take anything in.  However, no drinks or food around the pool unless it is purchased from the bar. Muhmim rules with a rod of iron about that little matter. His favourite saying is "strict company policy" if he spots an illegal bottle of water!!  I am sure you are going to have a great time. We got back at 3.15 this morning and the washing machine has never stopped all day.
Post by: michelle from newcastle on May 26, 2013, 07:30:41 PM
sandancer cant believe your back already, we have been down Tynemouth today & im burnt !!
we do have an apartment though :)  possibly will only need glasses though as all we drink is water, pop & alcohol in the room he he. (not really a hot drink person) we only ever use a fridge & nothing else (very lazy & have every meal out) well we are on holiday  ;D

we go Thursday so not long now. x
Post by: pw on May 28, 2013, 08:57:15 AM
Had a beer at the airport last night, first time in years........22tl. Well it was 70cl and i was on holiday....

pw
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 28, 2013, 09:18:28 AM
Sacre Bleu!!! Dalaman still proving to be one of the most expensive airports ..not a lot of change there then..(Literally!! ::) )

Post by: kalkan4eva on May 28, 2013, 09:45:12 AM
OMG...that's about £9 isn't it.....? BH always goes to the Burger King, or whatever franchise it is there and I'm forever shocked at the cost of that which is something like £17 for burger and chips!! Its more expensive than JFK!!
Post by: onelove on May 28, 2013, 09:55:13 AM
We always take sandwiches or as we now call them sadwiches  >:D
Post by: pw on May 28, 2013, 11:10:00 AM
23 tl for a foot long (or 30cm as they call them) sub at the airport...........7tl for an Adana wrap from Chillies (length unspecified but pretty impressive!)

pw
Post by: fidimax on May 28, 2013, 11:30:03 AM
In 2 weeks I will be in Dalyan ( yes,I know its not Kalkan )  I will check the prices and compare them with Kalkan,seems some places in paradise are getting a little bit crazy with drink prices    :o :P >:D
Post by: michelle from newcastle on June 04, 2013, 01:45:07 PM
Cocktails are between 18 & 20tl
 Wine finding average 8 to 11, efes 6 in samira most other places 8 to
9. Bit shocked at cocktail prices and only offer is sometimes 10 or 20 percent off x
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 04, 2013, 02:24:38 PM
Thinks to himself...mmmmm! give cocktails a miss..at least it will save me burning my nose on a dead sparkler ;D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 04, 2013, 04:03:01 PM
Well done spotting Midtown's prices Blue Lizzard, I just had a look too on the facebook page, did you spot they also have Happy Hour! couldn't quite read what time though!  ;D We will definitely be visiting there when we go.  Hope you are enjoying your Efes at JD's!  :D

Jayne
Post by: alantj on July 16, 2013, 08:30:51 AM
I think it's time to update this thread as the price of a beer at the previously cheapest places is going up faster than the payments on a Wonga loan.

Foto pizza and Cafe Ev Both under 4TL in April are now 6.50TL, with 8TL being the new normal. If its any consolation where we are now in Antalya is slightly dearer than Kalkan at 8-10TL also spotted Angota at 61TL!
Post by: Buster on July 16, 2013, 02:37:35 PM
I’m sitting in Fenner Café  sun is still high in the clear blue sky  and the Gulets are returning from their day spent sailing in the bay. I order Sea food tagitelle  and a large ice-cold glass of EFES in fact I end up drinking two, as I sit and watch the gullet captains and crew slot their boats into their night time berths.  I sit eating mouthfuls of smoke salmon, mussels, prawns and small ring of squid in a wonderful cream sauce. All for approximately £10-00

Is Kalkan expensive I would argue NO,  it can be dirt cheap and it can be expensive but the great thing is you can take your choice a BBQ at home with drinks bought from the supermarkets can be less than a fiver a head,  a meal at let’s say  Gironda could set you back 250Tl + per couple depending on drinks etc. In Kalkan there is something for every budget and all taken under the same blue sky and in and around the same beautiful turquoise  sea.

Regards   Buster
Post by: chickengeorge on July 16, 2013, 05:03:57 PM
Alantj is not incorrect in his assessment though. There is no doubt the prices are higher every year. You do wonder when it will stop. Obviously the government is a lot to blame on alcohol prices so the blame isn't always with the restaurants. The exchange rate is good at the moment as well. If it goes back to the 2.2 rate there is no denying that Turkey will no longer be as competitive as it was against those eurozone destinations.
Post by: Mayday1 on July 16, 2013, 06:01:55 PM
Very good point,ChickenGeorge.It is only the favourable exchange rate..stirling v TL that keeps Kalkan prices competitive.8tl for an efes at 2.9tl/£1 = £2.76.At 2.2tl/£ an 8tl efes would cost £ 3.64.Multiply this up with food at restaurants,boat trips and all other holiday expenditure it would really mount up.

You do expect to pay a little more in Kalkan as a slightly more up market resort,but the exchange rate is keeping the costs relatively low.............so i feel we are having our cake and eating it at the moment..............long may it continue!!!
Post by: Buster on July 16, 2013, 06:34:17 PM
The restaurants and bars have only 6 months to make their money and many businesses that looked busy in the summer only just broke even last year because of the high rents they are being charged. As I tried to show in my piece on the Fener cafe, to be able sit and eat, drink 2 beers over a couple of hours for a tenner with the stunning views on offer, can't be considered expensive at the current very good exchange rate.

Regards Buster 
Post by: chickengeorge on July 16, 2013, 06:43:30 PM
I'm glad you agreed Buster. The rates restaurants pay is no concern of the tourist. I don't think the popular restaurants are struggling to be honest. Those that are, need to be more competitive in the pricing but who knows what goes on in the background between owners in terms of setting prices.
Post by: Buster on July 16, 2013, 08:29:40 PM
I think it is a myth that Kalkan is expensive:

After my time spent with friends recently staying in Antalya and Fethiye we are all of the opinion that both wine and beer prices in kalkan are still very competitive and well below those of other towns including Kas, but please don't tell the restaurateurs ;) 

Post by: alantj on July 16, 2013, 09:03:45 PM
Buster

I wasn't opening up the debate about whether Kalkan was more expensive than other resorts, just updating a post I made in April recommending Foto Pizza and Cafe Ev as places to go for a sub 4TL Effes to try and keep the information current.

Re Antalya haven't had time at the moment to post details of our two days there but will do so, as we had a great time and will definitely be visiting again - despite the fact it is just as expensive/cheap (take your choice) as Kalkan.
Post by: Buster on July 17, 2013, 05:28:57 AM
Sorry AlanJ
I was thinking of the high price of wine served in restaurants in Antalya and should have pointed out we found food prices were on a par with Kalkan. But as our party was made up of wine drinkers we found the overall cost higher when eating out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal