Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: itstime on February 06, 2008, 06:26:59 PM

Title: packing
Post by: itstime on February 06, 2008, 06:26:59 PM
Following on from other threads where baggage allowance has been discussed I''m looking for tips/advice on how to ensure I stay under the allowance. Been stung a couple of times for overweight bagage and do try so hard to be careful about what I take. I''ve read all the tips from the experts, looked at so called "capsule" wardrobes  ??? but still find myself struggling to stay under the limit. Even when only going out for a week I still manage to be only just at the limit. I don''t think I''m taking too much "stuff" we have a washing machine so no problems chucking stuff in while over there. I do take loads of books but tend to leave them behind. I don''t bring back Turkish delight (amazingly heavy :( ) but yet always find myself either just about ok or over the limit on the way back :(
What am I doing wrong ???
Now please don''t tell me to bring less pairs of shoes/sandals. Can''t be done!!!!!!!!!! ::)
Title: Re: packing
Post by: vicksen on February 06, 2008, 06:31:57 PM
itstime, the old adage was "when you have packed for a holiday, take half of the clothes you intended, and twice the money...."    ;D
Post by: itstime on February 06, 2008, 06:35:41 PM
lol tried that and still doesn''t work. If I take twice the money I just buy more "wonderful bargains" to take home with me :-[
Post by: jayne on February 06, 2008, 06:44:55 PM
Going back to ''capsule wardrobes''. Apparently what you are meant to do is transform whatever you have on in the day by adding a few glitzy accessories and a slick of lipstick!

Ridiculous!
Post by: kalkan4eva on February 06, 2008, 06:45:14 PM
I''m with you, Itstime....can''t imagine how anyone manages to be under the limit both ways. I see people at the airport with tiny cases and think that''s just about big enough for my supply of Avon Skin so Soft....where are your clothes??? :o I''ve been charged going out of Manchester tons of times...years ago no-one bothered what your case weighed, but now you can''t be a kilo over the limit without the dreaded excess baggage charge. As it''s impossible to wear anything resembling a heel in Kalkan (believe me I''ve tried everything permutation of heel) at least we can only pack flats...perhaps not in every colour or style, but they''re lighter than wedges  ;D
I rely on my better half to give me two thirds of our allowance, but would also be be grateful for any tips from the expert packers  :laugh:
Post by: vicksen on February 06, 2008, 06:48:31 PM
But seriously though.. ;)
Take ONE pair of comfy shoes (no, you don''t need the stilettos...)

No spare handbags

Minimum toiletries, they''re all available on sale here

Don''t take any toiletries home

Don''t take toilet rolls (believe it or not, people do!), teabags, or any foodstuffs, they''re all available in Turkey

Don''t pack any "just in case" stuff (you know the sort - "oh I need the ballgown, what if we''re invited to a Hunt Ball/ the tiara, what if we''re invited to dinner with passing royalty/ cricket bat & pads, what if we''re asked to play cricket etc etc"

Don''t take an iron, take clothes which don''t crush

Don''t take any items of clothing which don''t match each other, taking one odd-coloured skirt (or trousers) means you end up needing a blouse (or shirt to match it, a jersey to match that, etc,

Lay out your things to pack; count the items; then ask yourself "how many days am I staying?"
If you have more than 1 outfit for each three days, then be firm, and chuck out the extras.

Alternatively, if you''re a lady, let Mr. Itstime pack!

Post by: itstime on February 06, 2008, 06:50:39 PM
Lol had the indignity a couple of times at not being able to check in suitcase at normal desk and being sent to "over sized" luggage point. Huh!! the fact that my suitcase looked like a coffin and would easily house an average sized person is neither here nor there. Having invested in new expandable luggage which is slightly smaller hasn''t helped.
And Jayne can''t agree more what on earth does a change of lipstick do to transform an outfit ???
Post by: kalkan4eva on February 06, 2008, 06:51:19 PM
Crikey!!! I couldn''t let Mr Kalkan4Eva pack for me.....I dread to think what might end up in the case :o :o
Post by: vicksen on February 06, 2008, 06:53:09 PM
Kalkan4eva - well, they do say surprise keeps a relationship fresh.... ;D
Post by: itstime on February 06, 2008, 06:56:15 PM
No spare handbags :o lol I don''t take them but just have to buy at least one new one when I''m there. They''re not heavy :)
Stilettos :o can''t even wear them at home as I look like Lilo Lil ( if anyone remembers her) if I try to walk in them. And as for Mr It''s time OMG wouldn''t dare do that, I''d end up with no clothes to wear and only dozens of books to cover my modesty ::)
Post by: jayne on February 06, 2008, 07:02:36 PM
Not really sure itstime, think I might have mixed up that bit with a Jackie Collins novel :D
Post by: Pebble on February 06, 2008, 07:08:02 PM
Vicksen.  1 outfit for each 3 days  :o I could''t possibly wear the same outfit more than once LOL  :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: Blue Lizard on February 06, 2008, 07:08:13 PM
wear your trainers/shoes on the way out....pack a couple of pairs of flippen floppen !! day ones and dining ones!! as vicksen says we don''t take any toiletries we buy them in Kalkan.Cotton clothes are not only light but cooler. Our only need is P.G tips tea bags of which we have about 8 cups a day ..i need at least 2 cups before i can function in the morning .As for lipstick ..i look a mess when it smudges ;D ;D
Post by: vicksen on February 06, 2008, 07:17:49 PM
Ah, ye ladies of little faith  ;D - come on gents, are you really as utterly incapable of packing as your ladies believe, or do you just prefer to let them think so to get you out of doing it??? >:D
Post by: jayne on February 06, 2008, 07:19:12 PM
I''ve had a good idea. Why not wear all your clothes to the airport in layers, starting with your underwear, then swimsuits, moving on to t shirts, shorts, finishing with evening attire. That that way you can take as much as you like.

Might be a bit hot though   ;D
Post by: vicksen on February 06, 2008, 07:33:45 PM
Hmmm Jayne, the slinky black cocktail dress might end up slightly pulled out of shape once it''s been worn over the top of the t-shirts and shorts, the jogging trousers and jersey.... :(

Reminds me of that scene in then Marx Bros "A Night at the Opera" where Harpo is wearing all the different costumes, one atop the other...
Post by: sally on February 06, 2008, 08:02:59 PM
For a fortnight I take:

4 pairs of knickers
2 bras (including the one I am wearing)
4 T shirts
2 very thin Indian/old hippy style cotton tops for the evening
I pair trousers (which I wear to fly in)
1fleece (fly in it also)
2 pairs of shorts
2 very lightweight pairs cotton trousers for evening
1 very thin & light cotton dress
2 bathing cossies
1 pair flip flops
1 pair smarter (but flat) sandals for evening#
1 pair trainers (which I fly in).
1 sarong/wrap

I decant all shampoo, conditioner & moisturiser into little bottles (available from Boots)
I don''''t wear make up - so that''''s easy
2 tubes sun cream as I need an anti allergen one (one goes in my hand luggage)
2/3 books (again one in hand luggage.)

Any medications is easily available in Kalkan (and cheap) so don''''t take a medicine chest :D

It''''s so easy to wash stuff out and it dries in a flash.

I''''m just so relaxed & "blissed-out" when in Kalkan that I don''''t give a **** what I look like as long as I''''m clean & presentable. It ain''''t exactly a fashion parade when there :D

Post by: Cuddles on February 06, 2008, 08:26:05 PM
Surely that''s what Kalkan is all about, being laid back about dress like the locals, not trying to impress with a different outfit every day. Who the hell cares anyway. Methinks you are maybe trying to take your western habits, East.

If you all have your own places in the village, why can''t you leave some stuff there? We do, T shirts, shorts, trousers and shoes. I put cedar wood balls in the wardrobe and drawyers and no problems with insects or damp to date after 7 years. (Touch wood).

Mind you, we do take all of our toiletries from here and other stuff like kitchen equipment and still manage to fill 1 suitcase between us. Mainly with presents for local friends though.
Post by: Blue Lizard on February 06, 2008, 08:30:23 PM
i am a man and am far better at packing than my missus....but this has it''s draw backs as half of her stuff ends up in what was a very light bag of mine!!! ::) i wear shirt and tie everyday for work so i just flop about as comfy as i want ;)
Post by: itstime on February 06, 2008, 09:05:03 PM
Sally, can I book you to do my holiday packing next time :) You''re my new hero and I''m going to play "copy cat"
Well I''ll try!
Post by: Em1 on February 06, 2008, 09:23:50 PM
Hi
We go out with hand luggage only most of the time..just leave a few essentials out there. Saying that I only ever take hand luggage no matter where I go, if I can get away with it!
Em
Post by: Lorretta on February 07, 2008, 08:55:39 AM
Hi,
I leave a lot of stuff in our apartment, but then cant remember what I have left out there! Plus I get this irresistible urge to buy new things for my holiday. I am lucky though because I just lay out what I am taking and the other half does all the packing (usually muttering "way too much stuff" as he does so) Then OH weighs cases to make sure they are within the allowance.
Post by: lolly on February 07, 2008, 09:52:48 AM
 Well, where can I start, if I go for 2 weeks I will take at least 10 pairs of shoes, including stilettos ( will walk bare foot if need be!!) 14 pairs of knickers and bras, 10 pairs of trousers, a couple of skirts loads of t.shirts a couple of dresses.....plus what I keep at the flat... yes I''m crazy !!!! yes I''m vain!!!
Post by: felicity on February 07, 2008, 11:19:12 AM
Im with Loretta here - when I leave stuff at our villa - I forget what I have left - so end up taking more..!!  Tried being organised and writing a list which helped - then I decided I didn''t like what I had out there and took new anyway...you know with us females what we are like for clothes..!! LOL!   ;D ;D
Post by: Lorretta on February 07, 2008, 12:13:23 PM
Hi felicity,
I too wrote a list then promptly lost it! So I HAD to buy new stuff.
Post by: felicity on February 07, 2008, 01:24:46 PM
haha - I think this answers the questions - the majority of us women simply cannot pack light - it is simply not in our nature...so needless to say the no-frills airlines have cottoned on to that and are making their fortunes out of excess baggage charges on us poor women who simply have no choice in the matter... ;D ;D >:D
Post by: Mrs B on February 07, 2008, 02:20:21 PM
I agree with Sally and Vicksen...i have a list i follow every year, similar to Sally, and never stray.
In fact, i''ve been known to cross something off when i return so i dont take it the year after!
We only take a sports bag each, no suitcases, so that ensures its only necessities packed.
No makeup, hair products, electrical hair curlers/straighteners as my hair frizzes regardless of how much time i spend on it, and the makeup feels unnatural when i''m on hols.
No heels, nothing that needs ironing, nothing that feels ''restricting''...specially after all the baclava i intend to consume!!

Just light, floaty and comfortable clothes, comfy shoes and lots of hairbands!  O0
Post by: Roxie on February 07, 2008, 03:01:26 PM
Dint think you''ll manage somehow. Lilly will have to let you store a case in our garage! Just tell Mr. Itstime not to bring so many of his books. By the way has he finished his own yet? Going back in May and as usual in July so you will have company shopping. By the way Lilly found a new handbag shop so you wont have any room for clothes on the way back. The shop is just down from Zeki''s. Best to the Lads.
Take care, Stephen
Post by: itstime on February 07, 2008, 05:57:27 PM
lol Roxie, might take you up on that ;) oooohhhh more handbags.Bliss! Yeah book finished but not published yet >:(
See you all soon  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on February 08, 2008, 12:37:51 PM
I''m troubled that no-one has pointed out that us laydees tend to have two wardrobes - no not a summer wardrobe and a winter wardrobe....a fat one and a thin one!! (technically we have 4 wardrobes..fat summer, thin summer, fat winter, thin winter)  :laugh: :laugh:
The reason we take so many clothes on holiday is we never know which one we''re going to be...last year I took mostly fat summer clothes as the norm for me would be at least half a stone added on a two-week holiday...Kalkan''s hills meant my fat clothes were unworn and my thin clothes felt looser  8).
It seems I need to add a Kalkan wardrobe to my existing 4....joy for my better half ::)...which sadly, as I do not have a place there, must travel. ;D

Post by: itstime on February 08, 2008, 05:34:02 PM
LOL I too have 2 wardrobes for Kalkan. A first week and a second week. At the beginning of the first week all the lovely things which I''ve managed to fit into following a pre holiday diet, get worn and then it''s on to the loose "baggy" things for the second week after over indulging in far too much Turkish food. :-[
Post by: sally on February 09, 2008, 08:27:25 PM
You might like to look a this clip about how to pack!! I''d never thought of doing that with trousers!

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/article3329417.ece
Post by: streety on February 11, 2008, 05:02:32 PM
Try vacuum packing.  Use a bin bag, fold things neatly and put them in it.  Get your vacuum cleaner and suck the air out of the bag, seal and put in your case.  It takes less than half the space and lessens the weight.  I used this last year to bring out several mattress covers, bedcovers and cushions and was still under the limit - and I am a big shoelover!!!
Post by: Blue Lizard on February 11, 2008, 05:15:16 PM
what happens if customs make you open your case?  you won''t get it all back in again!! ;D ;D
Post by: felicity on February 11, 2008, 07:22:02 PM
 ;D ;D blue lizard - you do make me chuckle - it gave me visions of an exploding case and the equivalent of a hot air balloon rising out of it..LOL!!   :o :o ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on February 12, 2008, 11:03:46 AM
Hey Itstime, do like us and walk everywhere...nothing burns off sofra''s chocolate cake like Kalkan''s hills :laugh: :laugh: It''s almost too perfect for words...lots of gorgeous restaurant food and the opportunity to burn it all off immediately  ;D
You will only need your week one clothes for the whole holiday....therefore halving the amount you need to pack.
Problem solved  8)
Post by: itstime on February 12, 2008, 05:39:19 PM
Fortunately/unfortunately we stay right in centre of town just up from the taxi roundabout so no need for long walks ::)
Seriously though we do try to walk as much as possible but doesn''t seem to help :(
Post by: kalkan4eva on February 12, 2008, 06:09:03 PM
Oh well, it''s week one and week two clothes for you then... ;)You''re on holiday..you have to eat and drink to excess, it''s the rules...but doesn''t solve your packing problem....sorry :(
I''m only packing thin (week one) clothes this year...which is a terrible gamble but I''m banking on lots of walking to and from the harbour for boats to beach clubs/trips out, to and from the apartment in Kormurluk to Kalkan of a night, walking up and down to Palm Beach Club...do I sound a tad obssessed?  ::)
We''ll get there and I''ll find the walking isn''t as hard as last year, we love the view from the apartment too much to go out every night and I''ll resemble a burst sausage in my thin clothes after 4 days.
C''est la vie  ;D
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal