Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

The Owners Lounge => General Discussion => Topic started by: teke on February 09, 2013, 11:05:57 PM

Title: Providing Internet via dongle
Post by: teke on February 09, 2013, 11:05:57 PM
Any one had experience of providing Internet  to guests via a dongle?
Thanks
Take
Title: Re: Providing Internet via dongle
Post by: headroom on February 09, 2013, 11:49:55 PM
we do it and seems to work okay, if you can't get a landline (and you can't legitimately if you don't have residency) you won't have ADSL, the dongle comes with 4gb per month at cost of circa 42tl. Maybe not ideal but better than nothing.
Post by: Wendy on February 09, 2013, 11:54:45 PM
We have a line into the villa which is just WiFi. 20tl per month.
Post by: hobbo on February 10, 2013, 12:18:27 AM
I belive Wendy has the right approach, a line in but no telephone (so residency not required) this is possible and obviously she has achieved it, but you probably need to know a knowledgable local to sort it.. Wendy any pointers on how to get this setup?
Post by: amber on February 10, 2013, 05:46:52 AM
We also have a landline but no telephone.It was arranged through the office at the back of the PTT.It was very straight forward.Guess it is classed as a telephone line though as we get a telephone bill for the line each month (under 20 lira).
Post by: kevincat99 on February 10, 2013, 07:26:53 AM

Amber then I assume that you pay for a Wifi package on top of that price ?
Post by: Wendy on February 10, 2013, 09:49:31 AM
Um, we did it through our Management Team. We haven't had any extra bills.
Post by: amber on February 10, 2013, 01:14:51 PM
Kevincat99 - Yes then you pay for the package too.I had a dongle before but it was very slow and not suitable for tv or anything like that.
Post by: Cosetta on February 11, 2013, 06:17:29 PM
What is the speed of the line in? 

Maybe I can do away with our telephone contract and just get the line in if it is at least 6Mbps speed.
Post by: headroom on February 11, 2013, 07:55:00 PM
we actually looked at installing a line (with the help of one of out Turkish friends i.e. in HIS name) monthly cost including internet would have been 55tl ('ish) but that would have been every month regardless of whether anyone used it or not, the dongle costs us 42tl p.m. and whilst not ideal re speed works out at half the price (or less depending how many months) and for us and our guests has worked adequately, there is a download limit of 4gb per month so for the average holidaymaker enough to check email, facebook etc. Of course it doesn't give wifi for "smart phones" but there are plenty of wifi spots throughout the town.
Post by: Cuddles on February 11, 2013, 08:04:26 PM
What is the speed of the line in? 

Maybe I can do away with our telephone contract and just get the line in if it is at least 6Mbps speed.

Cosetta, Why do you need at least 6mbps?
Post by: hobbo on February 11, 2013, 09:04:53 PM
We have a phone line, in our managers name, (arranged before I found out that you can apparently have a line without a phone)
the internet package we went with costs 29TL but has a low usage allowance however there is a cap on the bill of 79TL so most months are 29TL and some peak months may hit the 79TL cap (with no effect on performance), worked out cheaper than 55TL/per month, (average for last 12months = 39TL/month), we also pay for the phone line which includes local calls at 23TL / month (not sure what the cost of line with no phone is)
we achieve download speeds >7Mbps (Villa is near Cafe Vita) and can stream SkyTV from the UK without any problems. So for the price of 62TL/m (£22/m) we can offer a landline phone with free local calls, highspeed wifi and UKTV. 8)
Post by: zola on February 13, 2013, 07:44:35 PM
unlimited with no phone cost is 64.99 per month. A friend has a dongal which is ok if you don't watch TV on it, then it eats it.
If you are a residence it is quite straight forward to get. You need not have a phone only the internet in your own name.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal