Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Weather => Topic started by: onelove on January 04, 2013, 03:32:54 PM

Title: January (weather etc) in Kalkan
Post by: onelove on January 04, 2013, 03:32:54 PM
Friday 4th Jan..... Lovely bright morning, if a tad cloudy.
The weather got better as the day wore on, the afternoon was very sunny and hot in the
direct sun, albeit, the wind picked up later in the afternoon 8)

Mussakka tonight...... :P :P :P
Title: Re: January (weather etc) in Kalkan
Post by: Skunk on January 04, 2013, 06:50:40 PM
Very mild in Cambridge UK this afternoon as well, and a blue sky.  No Mussaka to go to though. Have fun.
Post by: Babs on January 04, 2013, 10:10:32 PM
I'm sure Cambridge was lovely today but I'd have chosen Kalkan with a visit to Mussaka.....love their sea bass with prawns!  :P
Post by: onelove on January 05, 2013, 02:13:46 PM
January 5th.....woke up to clear blue skies, now 16:00 (Paradise time 8)) and sun still shining.

In short a beautiful warm sunny day.......ahhhhhhh
Post by: turkeyfan on January 05, 2013, 03:57:12 PM
Yes, lovely in Kalkan today. My face even got a little bit pink sat in Fener this afternoon!  :D

Our last night tonight and going to Iso's.
Post by: amber on January 05, 2013, 05:03:50 PM
Glad to hear Isos has re-opened I thought ıt had closed for the wınter.
Post by: turkeyfan on January 06, 2013, 09:30:59 AM
Lovely meal at Iso's last night, albeit a reduced menu so not sure how long they are open for.

Sunday 6th is another gloriously sunny day and I'm sure the weather won't be like this where we are tomorrow (home)!
Post by: onelove on January 06, 2013, 03:52:36 PM
Glorious sunny day.....layed on a sunbed on the terrace from 11:00 until 15:00.....enough
said ;-)))
Post by: onelove on January 07, 2013, 03:39:28 PM
Another day of wall to wall sunshine, albeit, the air temp was def colder also windy with 'scary'
gusts....
Post by: onelove on January 08, 2013, 06:51:39 PM
Another full day of glorious sunshine but cold in the wind. That said had lunch at Findik this
afternoon and sat behind the plastic walling in the brilliant sunshine it was HOT   8)

Chicken, chips, rice and salad + comp side salad and lovely homemade bread ( tasted a bit like
fried bread ) and 2 cans of coke......19tl or £6.67 for 2 of us  :o.    ( Ex rate 2.85 )

Just popped outside (20:45 paradise time) to put the rubbish out and it's cold.....Brrrrr
Post by: Lizilu20 on January 08, 2013, 07:53:15 PM
Thanks for the weather updates onelove. Could you please tell me where findik is? I've never heard of it before. Is it new?
Post by: onelove on January 08, 2013, 08:06:25 PM
It's on the 2nd roundabout, new name this year can't remember what it was called last year  ???  Just down from Bulent the butcher.
Post by: Lizilu20 on January 08, 2013, 08:28:27 PM
Thanks onelove, i know exactly where you mean! We will definitely have to try it out at those prices when we come at Easter! Yes, just booked the flights today!!!!Woohoo!!! ;D ;D ;D
Post by: mel on January 09, 2013, 08:30:29 AM
Very very cold last night. Have just broken a thin layer of ice that had formed on the foot on rainwater in my swimming pool, but its a lovely day, blue skies and sunshine.
Post by: amber on January 09, 2013, 08:49:30 AM
Dont be fooled by the sunshine Mel,its freezing out!!!
Post by: onelove on January 10, 2013, 09:11:04 AM
Yesterday Wed 9th Jan......full day of brilliant sunshine, albeit, chilly in the wind.

That said, had lunch on the (outside) terrace of Fener Cafe overlooking the harbour/beach,
lovely spot out of the wind and again hot in the direct sun  8)  8) 8)

Spanish omelette with chips and salad, minced beef borek with salad, one coffee, two cokes
and comp bread with dips......31tl.....£10.93.

This morning Thurs 10th, 11:00 (paradise time) wall to wall sunshine, but again a real nip in the air/wind  ;)
Post by: M n M on January 10, 2013, 10:18:53 AM
Walked past your place half an hour ago boiling hot.
Post by: onelove on January 10, 2013, 01:55:48 PM
The wind has dropped now, glorious sunshine....laying on the terrace....ahhhhhh bliss  8) 8) 8)
Post by: pattaya on January 10, 2013, 02:06:40 PM
Thanks onelove Sounds amazing ... was there last week and enjoyed lovely weather.
i think its at its best in winter !
looking forward to my next trip  :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on January 10, 2013, 06:55:54 PM
sooohh jealous, onelove :(
Post by: onelove on January 11, 2013, 05:18:57 PM
Woke up to 50/60% cloud cover with spells of sun. Air temp up a fair bit on last 4/5 days. More sun in the afternoon. Now 19:10 (paradise time) light rain.

Lunch at Asfiya's kitchen at the bus station.  5 dishes between two, amazing food, delicious, one coke and one water + comp side salad, pickled green peppers and bread........34tl.......£11.93
Post by: onelove on January 12, 2013, 12:55:32 PM
...windy, wet and a short lighting show first thing this morning.....albeit, the real lighting
show was during the night....though it was the paparazzi on the balcony with cameras flashing  8)

The wind, rain and lighting has now passed ( although it looks like we are in for a bit more rain later ) plenty of cloud, temp has def risen noticeable. Quite a rough sea in the Kalamar Bay today. Lunch indoors watching QPR v Spurs.......life is good  8) :D 8)
Post by: onelove on January 13, 2013, 12:26:13 PM
Sunday 13th.........woke up to a damp dark morning (06:20)..... But hey presto the sun was out by 10:00ish......so yet again we have brilliant sunshine with a lovely blue sky. That nasty
Cold wind from the North seems to have blown its self out now and the temp is up again from yesterday. Nice / warm enough to have breakfast on the terrace, which we did  :P

Off to Parc now for a full afternoon of football ........beats working 8) 8) 8)

Come on Utd  >:D >:D >:D
Post by: onelove on January 14, 2013, 01:55:47 PM
Monday 14th.......another glorious day of wall to wall sunshine and very warm, 21 showing on car temp, next to no wind, t-shirt weather.....lunch outside on the terrace at Fener (no one sat inside) for 2.....27tl.....£9.47.

Tonight is 'Curry' night at Mussakka 90 seats available (so I'm told) all booked with people
on a 'reserve' list......mummmmm can't wait  8) 8) 8)
Post by: turkeyfan on January 14, 2013, 10:44:10 PM
Onelove-are you still there??

I'm soooo jealous!
Post by: onelove on January 15, 2013, 04:51:22 AM
Yes......lucky me  8)  8) 8)
Post by: onelove on January 15, 2013, 03:09:00 PM
Tuesday 15th.......another fab day, sun shone all day, a tad windy at times. Very warm in direct sun.

......Mussakka curry night, well what can I say.....in a word Fantastic. Set menu, poppudons with mint sauce, onion, yogurt and chutney. Nan bread. Main meal, 2 diff chicken curry's with rice, one mild, one slightly hot and Dahl.....all for 25tl.......£8.77 per person.

Then the music came on and loads danced the night away  8)  8) 8). ( not me, can't dance to save my life)

Cant wait for the next Curry night.

A Big thank you must go to to Memhet and all the staff at Mussakka for a truly great night,not forgetting the (Turkish) chef who not only cook fantastic food but also served.
Post by: pattaya on January 15, 2013, 03:43:30 PM
Love your posts onelove ... Can you keep the coming
Untill may when I'm back !!  :laugh:
Post by: onelove on January 15, 2013, 04:28:37 PM
Thanks pattaya, was thinking / worrying it was all getting a bit boring  ??? ::) ???
Post by: Lizilu20 on January 15, 2013, 05:23:05 PM
Not at all boring onelove. I've been there with you in spirit!! I've really enjoyed your posts and weather updates. I hope someone keeps them up. So handy to refer to if you are thinking about booking out of season. Thanks for taking the time to post.  :)
Post by: pattaya on January 15, 2013, 08:27:46 PM
No thank you  for posting very enjoyable.  :)
Post by: onelove on January 16, 2013, 11:11:11 AM
Photo taken yesterday at 15:30 (paradise time)
Post by: onelove on January 16, 2013, 03:02:05 PM
.....another lovely sunny day, a bit of cloud early doors. Even got to lay on a sunbed this afternoon for a couple of hours. Wind was back, but not the cold one from last week, much milder this time  8) 8) 8)

Great night last night at the Parc quiz.

Well done to the quiz master (TC from KTLN) very enjoyable, albeit a bit hard for me  ??? ::) ???

It was a really mild evening with some people sat outside having drinks....and fags  :o

Dinner just about to go in the oven.....roast chicken mash and veg, then settle down to watch Utd v West Ham  >:D >:D >:D......ahhhhh, its a 'Good Life' for us lucky ones  8) ;D 8)
Post by: onelove on January 16, 2013, 03:03:32 PM
....forgot to say.....temp on car dash this afternoon 21
Post by: Cajaran on January 16, 2013, 03:41:09 PM
Hey One Love - loving the daily reports - keep them coming.

-1 degrees (yes, minus one) on our car dash this afternoon - wish we were still there!!

Post by: Irene on January 16, 2013, 05:42:25 PM
Love the reports - keeping me going until Easter.  Severe frost all day here in the Midlands, with snow coming on Friday- roll on 1 April!
Post by: onelove on January 17, 2013, 04:37:29 PM
Not as much sun today, I would guess 50% + cloud cover with spots of rain and a tad windy, that said, its not at all cold.

We had a trip to Fethiye today to look /buy some furniture and other bits and pieces. So Much more choice and lots cheaper than anywhere we have found in Kalkan, would highly recommend if you looking to buy stuff for your apartment / villa. Also the shops we visited All
said they would deliver free.

Lunch ......for 2 ....40tl.....£14.04.... With no sea view (on a busy road) :(.   Fethiye is not for us, does not compare to Kalkan IMHO.
Post by: hobbo on January 18, 2013, 12:28:03 AM
Onelove I can't believe you are still stranded in Kalkan after NYE, you poor things it must be hell, I'm sure you would prefer the -8 and snow that we are experiencing at the moment!!
No I'm not getting p****d off with your blogs we like to know what we are missing and I am trying hard to justify a trip before Easter but looks like Tracy has everything under control and I'm not needed! so current plans are out Easter for my birthday bash at Mussakka on 8/4/13... I know it's wishing my life away but can't wait! 8)

Post by: onelove on January 18, 2013, 02:43:53 PM
Hi hobbo,

Yeah spent all our money vino and fab food so can't afford flights home  ::)

I need to 'sign on'....does anyone know where the local benefits office is  ??? ??? ???

Or I suppose I could claim asylum on the grounds that the UK government keeps taking loads of money off me then proceed to waste it, what do you think of my chances  ???  8)  ???

Got to go home on Tuesday  :'(   Bloody work, it's def overrated  ::)

But planning to drive back from London to Kalkan mid / late Feb, will be posting a blog on KTLN. Will be 'sort of' following Mr & Mrs Topcat's route. Read their blog, there is a link on the 'Feedback' box just scroll down to a few days ago, TC put a link on there for me to read. Great stuff, can't wait.

Mixed bag today, sun, cloud, light wind, spots of rain, but again not at all cold.  Temp in car 16.
Post by: onelove on January 19, 2013, 04:33:06 PM
Sat 19th.....woke up to grey dark sky and rain, the sun got its hat on round about 11 ish but did not hang about for long. It's been a wet chilly day. Massive thunder clap at about 15:00, made us jump   :o. with a few bolts of lighting. All in all it's been a chilly damp day, but, hey who's complaining.......we're in Kalkan  8) 8) 8)
Post by: onelove on January 21, 2013, 07:02:07 AM
Sunday 20th......woke up to brilliant sunshine. I like to keep the terrace clear of leaves and such but the last couple of days had been a bit windy, not a good idea to sweep up leaves in the wind as in sure you know  ;). But this morning it was very calm so perfect sweeping the terrace. I'm a bit sad (so the wife tells me) as I love cleaning the terrace, something very satisfying  ::). Well it was surreal the sun on my back / face, lovely and warm looking out over the Medi as i sweept, I was a very happy bunny  8). Funny how the small things in life..... 8)

It took me a good half hour as there was plenty of leaves etc after the winds of the last couple of days, I even got a slight sweet on. Terrace swept it was time to wake up the BH with her breakfast in bed, I sat on the balcony with mine thinking 'this is the life'  ;) 8) ;)

After breakfast we laid on sunbeds for 4 hours and it was hot only losing the sun for short periods of cloud cover, is it really January I kept thinking  ??? ??? ???.

Well it's nearly time for us to go home, flights out of Antalya on Tuesday   :'( so this has to be my last 'report' for a few weeks. But not all bad as we plan to drive back out in mid Feb, can't wait.....London to Kalkan via France, Italy, Greece and who knows where else   ???.

I was chatting to one of our kids the other night on Skype and she asked me what was the highlight of our trip ( just under a month, longest amount of time we have ever spent in Kalkan ) oh I said that's a tough one as we have had such a fab time and done lots and lots of things, I was trying to think of an answer when it hit me, it was obvious, I was thinking to hard...the best thing about this trip......just been in Kalkan  8) 8) 8)

Adios for now onelove.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on January 21, 2013, 07:46:41 AM
Thanks Onelove that has really cheered me up on a cold snowy Monday morning.  Hurry up July!!!    8)
Post by: onelove on January 21, 2013, 08:06:58 AM
Sorry Bob & Jayne, not meant to 'wind' you up   8). Just the truth  :angel:

Monday morning.....another bright and sunny morning here in paradise looks like its going to be another lovely day me thinks  8)  >:D  8)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on January 21, 2013, 12:01:42 PM
Hi Onelove, no it has just helped pass the time in my office this morning thinking about Kalkan.  Have really enjoyed reading your daily reports.

Jayne
Post by: pattaya on January 21, 2013, 01:29:58 PM
Onelove have a safe trip home .. Already Looking forward to your next trip !  for our daily updates.  :laugh:
 :laugh:
Post by: amber on January 21, 2013, 04:58:02 PM
Gale force winds now.You certainly need a hard hat if you intend going out in Kalkan this evening.The most unusual items blowing down the streets and flying around in the air!
Post by: onelove on January 21, 2013, 06:03:42 PM
We are in Aubergine at the moment, all sorts flying down the harbour road. Plastic tenting could take of anytime now.  Hard hats indeed needed  :o
Post by: onelove on January 21, 2013, 07:45:03 PM
The wind is proper crazy now, Aubergine sign down, van in car park area next to Fener hit by
big wooden part of roof blown down from doy doy level, waiters running about like mad men
trying to tie things down, and losing the battle. Hope no one gets hurt, all sorts flying through
the harbour  :o :-[ :o :o
Post by: Agent Ottoman on January 23, 2013, 06:30:32 PM
Hi onelove, first of all I hope you're ok/safe and haven't been blown away?! Second, thank you for posting these I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them, certainly cheered me up whilst looking out on sleet and snow! Got me very excited about May! Thank you! Third, please could you tell me how to find the blog about driving to Kalkan, I'm probably being daft but I can't see the feedback box. Thank you again. Please update so we know you're safe.  :)
Post by: hobbo on January 23, 2013, 07:43:37 PM
ILoveOttomanChicken, onelove was referring to the KTLN blog of their drive from Kalkan to the UK, I have just read it myself..

http://kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/component/content/article/186-travel-blogs/54961-turkey-to-uk-kalkan-to-canakkale (http://kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/component/content/article/186-travel-blogs/54961-turkey-to-uk-kalkan-to-canakkale)

Post by: Agent Ottoman on January 23, 2013, 09:52:07 PM
Thank you hobbo, should make an interesting bedtime read!  ;D
Post by: onelove on January 24, 2013, 09:34:17 AM
Hi ILOC, yes we got home safely thanks very much, albeit a Proper scare as we came into Gatwick to land...it was just after 19:00 foggy and very dark as I looked out of the plane window, then a couple of lights appeared along with a few tree tops, we flew over the M25 and the airport car parks came into view ( those that fly into Gatwick will know how close to landing you are when you see the start of the car parks ) all of a sudden the engines roared into life, I shite
myself with the sudden noise and the airplane banked to the right and started to make the steepest climb I have even seen....in a word...terrifying  :'(.   It felt like we were in one of those disasters films, me and the oh just looked at each other, not a word was spoken, and held hands over the spare seat between us ( we had 3 seats to ourselves ) There was not a sound from the passengers for the next, well, what seemed like at least 5 mins, everyone was in shock , well I was anyway.....after we had climbed above the clouds and the plane levelled out I started to calm down, still no chit chat from passengers. The captain, calm as you like,came over on the tanoy and said sorry about that but there was still a plane on the runway so we had to 'Pull Up' we will have you on the ground in 10mins...25 mins later we landed, there was loads of cheering and clapping as you would expect  :o

I have looked at forums about aborted landings and to my amazement they 'happen all the time' or more often than you would think, and they are not even investigated  :o :o :o

So we are back in dark, cold dreary London  >:(.  Albeit we can now start planning our drive so plenty to keep my mind off the dreadful weather. We hope to start the drive on or about the 12th Feb.   look out for our blog on KTLN. We have flights booked back to the uk on the 5th March ( another grandkid due on the 19th March so need to be back in plenty of time ) then have flights booked back to paradise on the 10th April with NO return.....the start of my dream to spend say 2/3 months at a time in paradise, with trips back to the uk for say 2/4 weeks at a time. work can 'do one' from now on, a new way of life awaits us.....we both realise its a Massive thing to do but hey ho you only live once  8) >:D 8)

Serefe onelove.

Post by: Agent Ottoman on January 24, 2013, 01:28:08 PM
Wow! I am now insanely jealous! 2-3 months in heaven! Can't wait to read your driving blog, you're excellent at writing these posts. I actually feel like I'm there! Hairy times on the plane, OH would have been in flap!
Post by: amber on January 25, 2013, 06:43:31 AM
We must have had the most amazing weather in Kalkan overnight  -  I slept through it!!! Went out at 7am this morning to feed the cats in town,street and owned.There are piles of hailstones everywhere and some areas of white.It looks like snow flakes but is actually white lumps of ice.Weird!!! Not really cold, so guess it wont last long.
Post by: onelove on January 25, 2013, 01:48:10 PM
Thanks Amber,  I saw some photos on KTLN....Amazing, reading that a local said not seen anything like it in the 25 years they have been in Kalkan.....crazy weather all over the world  ???   :o  ???
Post by: amber on January 25, 2013, 05:33:15 PM
Turks are saying they have never seen anything like it in Kalkan in their lifetime! Great pics on KTLN and on Facebook today.The amazing thing is that the suns been shining all day - really weird!
Post by: onelove on January 25, 2013, 06:57:24 PM
Yes the photos on KTLN are truly amazing.  So we have a 'once in a lifetime' weather event, quite something I would of thought ?  I now wonder if this has ever happened in recorded weather history for the Kalkan area.  Anyone out there help ?
Post by: onelove on February 12, 2013, 06:58:33 PM
Started our road trip on Sunday morning......blog on KTLN to follow.....
Post by: Lizilu20 on February 12, 2013, 08:47:38 PM
Have a safe journey and very much looking forward to reading your blog  :)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal