Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Travel and Accommodation => Flights and Travel => Topic started by: BYBV on September 09, 2012, 10:12:22 PM

Title: Monarch flights vs Easyjet scrum
Post by: BYBV on September 09, 2012, 10:12:22 PM
Hi, we're booked to come to Kalkan next July.  We are looking at Monarch/Thomas Cook flights which are showing as available and bookable.  Looking at the other threads regarding Easyjet, is it worth waiting for the scrum when they announce the Dalaman flights, and do these charter airlines suddenly fill up instantly the Easyjet cheap seats have gone?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim.
Title: Re: Monarch flights vs Easyjet scrum
Post by: BevJam on September 09, 2012, 10:22:06 PM
Just to let you know that you can pre book seats on Easyjet from November. We booked yesterday and the prices were very good even with the seat booking, worth a look!
Post by: Firecat on September 10, 2012, 07:20:42 AM
Personally I'd wait for the easyJet flights - flying Thomas Cook is the worst possible start to a holiday IMO.
Post by: baclava on September 10, 2012, 09:02:01 AM
TC have the worst seat pitch, really cramped, and also have a poor record on punctuality and altering departure times.
Now EJ have seat selection there will not be a scrum anymore at DLM. Good seat pitch wherever you sit on EJ aircraft.
Post by: Livingproof on September 10, 2012, 09:30:29 AM
We've flown with Monarch for several years and always found them very good. Best prices (once baggage + other extras are included) and have always left/arrived on time. We have to be flexible on departure airport as our nearest (Birmingham) always seems way more expensive than others (Manchester for example). Never flown Thomas Cook as they've always been way too expensive with poor flight times.

Just come back from Kalkan having flown Monarch and flights were again on time. Only problem this time was they cancelled our original flight by which time alternative airlines were really expensive so we had to settle for the Monarch option which was night flights - not great with 2 kids. For us the most important thing is the combination of lowest cost with decent flight times. Off to Cyprus next year so we'll be looking to book flights pretty soon and I'll bet that Monarch come back as the cheapest.
Post by: Painter Man on September 10, 2012, 10:08:31 AM
We avoid flying Monarch if possible because on every occasion we have flown with them the flight has been delayed and waiting around in the airport for a couple of hours at the start or end of a holiday is not something we want to do. My son and friends few back from Kalkan in July with Monarch and had a twelve hour delay at Daleman.
I have also found the Monarch staff not the most customer focused passengers. Personally I think that Monarch make Ryanair look like a premium airline.
One advantage we find with Easyjet is that there is no restriction on the weight of hand baggage as long as you can put it up in the overhead locker. There is a size restriction but it is more generous than some budget airlines. As we always seem to have way in excess of our twenty kilo hold baggage allowance each when we go to Kalkan the additional weight we can pack into our hand luggage is very useful.
Next years flights are already booked on Easyjet so I hope that this post does not tempt fate and make the plane delayed!
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 10, 2012, 12:18:05 PM
Finding this year that more and more add ons are being charged for.....Airport taxes seem very high this year and luggage prices are also high ....so far Easyjet have only released up until the 15th june..we can fly out but can't book to fly back..thats not very easy?..looked at coming back with another airline but ridiculous prices being asked ..i almost expect to see a box at the end with please tick if you would like a pilot=£10 >:D >:D
Post by: BYBV on September 10, 2012, 01:11:33 PM
Hi, thanks for the replies.  I presume that there is a mad dash for the Easyjet cheap tickets when they are announced and I presume (from the other posts) that they are gone within minutes.  Also, do you think that the prices for Monarch etc go up the longer you leave it?

Thanks,
Tim.
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 10, 2012, 01:52:33 PM
yes they will..don't forget if you have checked a flight  to clear your cookies afterwards...most airlines/agents use a worm that detects interest from you in flights you look at and this automatically inflates the price when you look in again ;)
Post by: Johnjen on September 10, 2012, 03:12:17 PM
If that were true Blue Lizard,i'm sure the Office of fair Trading would be very interested.I have however tested this on a number of occasions with 2 computers (a laptop & a tablet) & have found it to be not the case.Unless of course they have a 'worm' or whatever attached to my internet address. 
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 10, 2012, 04:28:22 PM
Do you think the toothless office of fair trading give a monkeys or can do anything about what airlines do? they have been a law unto themselves since i don't know when .I will keep clearing my cookies regardless....better safe than sorry ;)
Post by: Cuddles on September 10, 2012, 06:03:53 PM
BL is right Johnjen. It is not illegal, (yet) for companies to set tracking cookies that tell them when you have visited their site before. It is, in fact, quite common. With Firefox browser you can at least delete them automatically at the end of a session. Not sure about Internet Explorer or Google Chrome as I don't use them. The former was always very weak on personal security and the latter comes from a company that thrives on advertising revenue.
Post by: Helshe on September 11, 2012, 01:47:46 PM
I flew with Monarch the first once or twice, it was ok. Ever since, always been with Thomas Cook, they were cheaper with better choice of flight times. They too are ok and i have never been delayed. Mind you being only 5ft 2, the seat pitch isn't generally an issue!!
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 11, 2012, 01:51:06 PM
jeeez!! at 5ft 2" you'd fit in the overhead locker :-* ;D ;D
Post by: Johnjen on September 11, 2012, 02:48:31 PM
No Bubbles it is not illegal to use cookies for advertising etc.but it is illegal to use them to bump prices up.No airline would dare do it,the penalties would be catastrophic.
Post by: Cuddles on September 11, 2012, 03:15:45 PM
So where is that written, Johnjen? The prices on the websites are set by the airlines and are an offer to 'treat'. If you don't like the price, you don't buy it.
Post by: Anne on September 11, 2012, 07:42:20 PM
Well not sure if it was cookies or what but I booked 2 one way tickets with EJ on Saturday to Dalaman for £79 each (ex admin fee and luggage) and today I decided to book the return flights, they weren't too bad price wise but I thouoght I would check if the price had changed for the outbound flights just for interest and - wow- each ticket was now £145 - in just 3 days!!
Post by: Johnjen on September 12, 2012, 11:40:52 AM
That's right.I paid £170 return on thursday last (day flights released)same flights today £308.On my laptop,my tablet,my phone and on my friends PC also.Clever these cookies.   
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 12, 2012, 11:29:22 PM
Like BL, we've booked our outbound flights with easyJet when they were released - I actually got an email the same day they went on sale :o :o £59.00 each one way from  Manchester - once we'd prebooked extra leg room seats, luggage including an extra 3k (for bacon and sausages... ;)) and had taxes, charges and that "admin fee" added they'd risen to £100 each - still a bargain when you look at the cost of Jet2, Monarch et al. I wouldn't consider travelling with TC again...quite possibly the worst airline we've flown with - and we've flown with a few dodgy companies over the years. Think I'd rather stick pins in my eyes..Looked at some return flights with other airlines and they are silly money...plus it looks as though we have to pay in Euros for a one way flight from Dalaman...is that right?

Hey BL have you ever thought our one way flights are a sign......?  :) We can go but we can't come back..sounds good to me :laugh:
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 13, 2012, 09:27:54 AM
When EJ told me to book one way then book another flight to come home when released i thanked them and reminded them i would then pay 2 lots of admin charge by doing this...i have since recieved an incident number and the promise of my admin charge refunded...it's not a lot but i won't be mugged by an airline... >:D
K4e..try it then you can buy me a beer with the refund :angel: ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 13, 2012, 06:02:49 PM
Cheers BL, will give it a go :)
Personally, though, I like the idea of going to Kalkan one way.. ::)
Post by: Chris_S on October 01, 2012, 10:38:00 AM
Just my observations, for what they're worth:

TC are fine on price, but if you have an issue you may as well give up - you won't get anywhere if you complain.  We won't use them if we can help it - they are just above RyanAir for choice, and RyanAir are at the very bottom.

We have used Monarch scheduled where possible and have no problems.  Monarch charters are different and the experience can be very different!  We generally use a flight that comes in from Malaga.  We keep an eye on this flight, and this is the one that causes the dely, generally, though most times we haven't been severely disrupted.

Most airlines these days use the EasyJet model where the early seats are cheapest and the last few are astronomical. The total price keeps the balance.  That said, they do have peaks and troughs on this model, where certain times and days are known to incur increased interest in booking and the prices will vary according to those.  Monarch, for example, have a happy hour between 12 noon and 2pm - Though I've never noticed the Dalaman flight from Luton affected by this.

I can't see cookies affecting the price - just your interest.  Though if you are worried about it, following the Blue Lizard technique is probably not a bad thing.

There are some tricks - but I'll keep them to myself!! ;D
Post by: Firecat on October 01, 2012, 09:00:01 PM

There are some tricks - but I'll keep them to myself!! ;D

What's it worth to share them? I have a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts if that helps ;D
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal