Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Smoking ban  (Read 38543 times)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Smoking ban
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 12:03:45 AM »
i promise not to smoke in enclosed eating places.....the man who let rip several times in Kaya i found more antisocial .....but i find loudness just as irritating,and also why do people buy glasses and look over the top of them? ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 01:12:41 PM »
Well said, Sally. My BH is a smoker and NEVER smokes in a restaurant, on a roof terrace or in fact anywhere anyone is eating when we are in Kalkan. We've had many a good meal spoiled by being seated next to chain smokers. I apreciate that people enjoy cigarettes...and worse cigars...but is there really any need to light up between EVERY course  ???
I hasten to none of these smokers have been Turkish, in my experience.

BL I wear reading glasses, but if I look up from the menu to talk to you, you would be a lizardy blur...so I irritatingly....look over my glasses. I promise to give that up when smoking in roof terrace restaurants ceases ;D ;D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 01:23:51 PM »
That's strange Blue Lizard, I was once in Ibo's and an older very posh lady kept letting rip whilst we where eating, I find that disgusting, far more disgusting than fag smoke!!

I'm a smoker but I do try not to smoke around other people & go out the way, I agree with the smoking ban in enclosed spaces cause other people shouldn't have suffer but I disagree with being treat like a leper just cause you smoke, be nice if they could make smoking areas a little bit nicer instead of dumps!!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 01:40:47 PM »
i promise not to smoke in enclosed eating places.....the man who let rip several times in Kaya i found more antisocial .....but i find loudness just as irritating,and also why do people buy glasses and look over the top of them? ;D

I met that guy and confronted him say "how dare you fart in front of my wife" he did apologise saying he didn't realise it was her turn !!

Lougie its the smokers that turn the areas into dumps !

People think they look intelligent by peering over the top of their glasses !

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 01:45:34 PM »
Perhaps it should be a 60TL fine for blowing off a trumpet in a restaurant? ;D

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 01:47:22 PM »
The answer my friend is blowing in the wind  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline molly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 02:57:01 PM »
It makes me sick! and I not a smoker! they have ruined pubs and bars all over Britain with this silly law! Ill thought out and a total waste of time! it splits groups of people it stops people going out, there is never a time when a group of diners actually stay at a table together. I think the non smokers should go out side and leave the smokers in!  Why not place better extraction in bars and restaurants so the smoke is removed quickly leaving everone to have a good time.  I will tell you some thing I bet those that wanted the no smoking ban in England still never go in pubs! now its changed.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 03:07:27 PM »
Well said Molly,I think it should be up to the landlord/owner of the pub,they know their customers better then anyone,if they want a smoking pub fine,if they want a none smoking pub thats fine also,have you ever noticed that none smokers go and stand in the smoking area outside a pub when their mates go for a smoke,strange that.  ;) ;D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 03:49:11 PM »
Lets remember the smoking ban in the UK (..and England was the last country here to enforce this EU ruling....) is as much about protecting staff from passive smoking as well as customers. The nanny state has deemed that if you make life uncomfortable for smokers they would smoke less and eventually give up. It works to a certain degree as my BH smokes less in the winter...going outside in freezing rain for a fag is distinctly unappealing. No-one cares in the summer and as Neil says you are more likely to move your group outside if there's a smoker or two with you.
For me, the best thing about the ban is not coming home smelling like an ashtray with random cigarette burns in my clothes after a night out. I'm not anti smoking - just wish there was a decent compromise to a very difficult issue :angel:
I understand it will soon be illegal to smoke in a car if you have children with you....that should have been the first anti-smoking law in my opinion >:(
I think the ban in Turkey is long overdue as so many of the population are smokers, it doesn't bode well for the future.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Blimey..how many drinks do you have to get your clothes burnt?   ;D ;D

Offline claire

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 03:54:43 PM »
Well I absolutely love going into pubs and restaurants now there's no smoke, its much nicer.  Totally love it and wished they'd done it years ago.   ;D

Ps, I don't look over my glasses, but I do take an enormous delight in farting.  I'm not bothered if it upsets people; they can always go outside.  >:D ;)   ;)

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 03:57:44 PM »
In the Uk the smoking ban has destroyed the community role of the pub, especially in rural areas with many pubs closing every week. Its destroyed the pub trade.

It should have been up to the pub landlord to decide whether to allow smoking or not, subject to no smoking where food is served. If a pub wanted to continue to allow smoking, it would have had to provide a separate smoking area inside, adequately ventilated.

What has happened.....people hanging about on the street outside, making a mess outside with tab end litter, people getting pneumonia in the winter adding to the pressure on the NHS, pubs closing damaging the local community etc etc

Nobody has thought through the long term......if a smoking ban reduces people smoking...the tax revenue falls...people live longer...more elderly people...more pressure on and cost of care services and NHS to look after an aging population....the pension timebomb gets worse !!!!

The same will happen in Turkey !!!

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 04:00:29 PM »
Most people I know who work in a pub smoke !!!!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »
Smoking pubs employ smokers?............simples!

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 04:05:46 PM »
K4E I agree,I dont mind going out side for a smoke(even more if claire is letting rip) I have got used to it,what I dont like is the attitude of some non smokers towards smokers,and people who have given up are the worst.
If I go outside for a smoke I dont exspect to see the smoke area full of none smokers getting a bit of "fresh"air,tutting and muttering when I light up .

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 04:10:26 PM »
Too true Denners,sky news yesterday "58 pubs a day have closed since Jan"

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 04:15:16 PM »
Crikey Denners that's a pretty harsh assesment and conclusion....the country needs people to smoke and die a pretty horrible and needlessly early death because they need to help the pub trade and ensure an intolerable strain isn't put on our services :o :o :o :o

Most smokers I know - BH included - would love to quit.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 04:23:02 PM »
Think about it K4E,most of what Denners says is true,eg how much tax would we have to pay if all the uk stopped smoking?how many people would lose their jobs ? ect ect,it doesnt bear thinking about,and then all the people who complain about smokers will start moaning about the tax they have to pay ! :o

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 05:06:23 PM »
Of course there's an element of truth in what he says, but the biggest strain on the NHS currently is caused by smoking related illnesses and pubs are closing not solely because of the smoking ban - I'd say the recession is having a major impact there. But we will use the facts and see what we want to support our own different arguments, here, that's the very nature of this particular topic. You have every right to smoke and I have every right not to smoke. sadly those two "rights" can't co-exist until they invent a cigarette that allows the smoker to ingest rather than share. Agreed?

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 05:08:19 PM »
...but the NHS would not have to be funded to treat all the smoking related diseases that it currenty does.  But I'll shoot myself in the foot here and suggest the cash would just move to other areas of treatment (and I don't mean the bullet wound in my foot!).

For what it's worth I support the ban. - in the UK and anywhere else.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 05:10:59 PM by kalkanfan »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Smoking Ban

Started by kalkan4eva on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

13 Replies
Last post February 26, 2009, 07:50:40 PM
by Blue Lizard
recycled
Smoking

Started by MikeYork on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 09:00:56 AM
by MikeYork
xx
Smoking Ban

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

25 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 07:29:19 PM
by Chucky
xx
Smoking ban

Started by maryjane on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 12:19:05 AM
by Melek

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Heart on the beach sunset

Views: 4140
By: cer
Kalkan Harbour