Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: A few days in Cappadocia  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
A few days in Cappadocia
« on: October 06, 2012, 01:15:35 PM »
We have just returned from a trip to Cappadocia and what a wonderful place to visit. We have done quite a bit of driving while here in Kalkan over the years and decided what an adventure it would be to drive to Cappadocia for a few days. So we booked our hire car as usual and Hotel Kral in Orgup for four nights. We were originally intending to split the journey with an overnight stop but were talked in to driving there in one day, some 800 Kms (500 miles) - a good decision. Last Monday we left our hotel at 0615hrs and set off for Urgup. The route we followed was to Antalya via Elmali, then on to Manavgat then taking a left to Konya. We payed a brief visit to the centre of Konya which is a large city with in excess of one million inhabitants - a bustling place for sure. As time was pressing we quickly got back on the road heading for Nevisehir - dual carriageway all the way albeit some contraflow sections crossing a flat plain mile after mile, we made excellent progress and arrived at our hotel, in Urgup, at 1600hrs. Just time for a Siesta before dinner at 1900hrs. The next three days we spent exploring Cappadocia with visits to Goreme open air Museum, Underground Cities, and various places to marvel at the stunning scenery and unique landscapes. Yesterday (Friday) at 0730hrs we drove ( I say we but I did all the driving) back to Kalkan but this time following the coastal route from Antalya, which although picturesque takes at least 30 Minutes longer. For anyone wishing to do this I would recommend the following: Hire a Diesel car as fuel is up to 1TL/Litre cheaper than Petrol, drive the journey in a day as roads are good and takes about 9 hours driving. Getting the drive over in two days means more time in both Cappadocia and of course Kalkan. We are now back in Kalkan for another week before returning to UK.
Regards
Graham (Tyros)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10245.0
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:35:01 AM by Tyros »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: A few days in Cappadocia
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 02:56:03 PM »
Sounds like a fab trip Tyros. I'd like to go to cappadocia someday and what a good idea to combine it with kalkan. I'll have to work on the OH re the driving as this year was the first time I could persuade him to hire a car for a few days. Next year we are hiring one for the whole holiday but I'm not sure he would be confident driving so far as yet and I know that I'm definitely not! Good tip re diesel too.  :)

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:11:38 AM »
Thanks Lizilu, it was indeed a fab trip, one I would recommend to anyone. By the way I
meant to mention that not only is Diesel cheaper than Petrol but of course Diesel cars are
normally more economical than Petrol.
Regards
Graham (Tyros)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:47:46 PM »
Three of us, ( two drivers), are setting off for Cappadocia in early May. Does anyone who has done the trip have any advice? What sort of clothing do we need to take?
We are thinking of at least over-nighting in Konya on the outward journey and somewhere else on the way back. Does anyone have any hotels, restaurants or, places of interest that they can recommend?
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
Many thanks KR. Although a member of that site, I don't visit it very often and always look to EK for info.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:33:37 AM by BubblesG »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cappadocia

Started by jcac on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post November 18, 2009, 01:12:16 PM
by jcac
xx
Cappadocia

Started by claire on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 01:46:30 AM
by Melek
xx
Cappadocia.

Started by clara 50 on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 03:04:01 PM
by clara 50
xx
Trip to Cappadocia

Started by M n M on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

41 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 08:25:02 AM
by Buster

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Patara aqueduct

Views: 3661
By: Babadag
my badge