Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: To change or not to change?  (Read 6617 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
To change or not to change?
« on: March 08, 2015, 05:56:40 PM »
We usually wait to change money till we get to Kalkan but as the exchange rate is so good at the moment, M&S 3.8 we are wondering if we should get some lira now for our trip in May. Does anyone have a crystal ball? Any thoughts on this?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12611.0

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: To change or not to change?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 07:56:48 PM »
How much are you thinking of exchanging?  Presumably a considerable amount to make it worthwhile. Is it really worth the risk? Personally I wouldn't want a lot of cash in my wallet or secreted in an apartment.
I would rather risk losing 5 or 10% on the exchange rate than than 100% to fire, theft or my own carelessness.
Just my opinion!

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 10:04:24 PM »
I am coming to Kalkan in April into early May.I have changed £ 100.00 at M & S at 3.8.This will tie me over for a day or two,especially as we arrive over the weekend,when the banks are closed.The exchange rate is always more favourable in Kalkan......Personally,i think that is not too much cash to carry around.

The question is

Is the rate going to carry on rising ??
If it starts dropping,it could be below 3.8 at the kk banks by the time we go,in which case it is better to bite the bullet and get some now........3.8 is still very good and if it carries on going up

............WELL THEN !!.. we are squids in and it will be Mojitos all round !!

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 12:07:49 AM »
This is a really interesting question. We have bank accounts with YapiKredi - a TL account, a Sterling account and a time deposit account. So I saw the rate increasing to 3.70TL to pound and decided to transfer some money from my Sterling account to TL account at 3.69TL to pound; a few days later the rate improved so I transferred some more into my TL account and got 3.89TL to pound. How I wish I had the crystal ball!!! Our Time Deposit Account is getting an interest rate of 9% but this was put in when the exchange rate was 3.60 and of course we pay Turkish Tax at 15%. So although I am not complaining it would be great to know how the exchange rate will go

One thing to consider is to use a Halifax Clarity Card or Post Office Credit Card to make purchases in Turkey as these cards have no commission charges and they use the Interbank Rate that you see on the KTLN site - this is always a better rate than you can achieve by changing cash.

Cheers
Tyros

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 08:10:50 AM »
I'm thinking change some now and keep a close eye on what is going on. We always get some cash ready for the first day or so and last year we took quite a lot in sterling but felt safe as the apartment had safes at the manned reception. In a villa this year so will need to think  ::)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »
Any currency speculation has to be a gamble.

There are too many factors to predict, but Sterling is quite strong at the moment, especially against the Euro (which Turkey seems to have a leaning towards), so, potentially things may only improve regarding the rates, with the Eurozone not doing well.

There is a caveat though - should Labour form the next Government in the UK, then the rate will, inevitably plummet, as the markets will fear the anti-austerity plans together with profligate spending and past economic track record will see the money market's confidence in Sterling plummet.

Your choice, in the end... >:D
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 02:16:55 PM »
We have exchanged some online and had it delivered to our home - its worth doing some now as I think this is unusually high and at some point it will start to go the other way, particularly if the £ has a wobble. We were looking at some photos yesterday, taken only two years ago, and in the background there's an exchange board and it says 2.8TL to the £. Prices in Kalkan will probably rise accordingly, but it does feel nice to get more lira for our holiday spends than in previous years ;D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 02:48:11 PM »
We buy in dribs and drabs each month ..that way we cant spend it!! we buy more when we are happy with the rate when we need more we draw it in kalkan....it works for us ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 05:08:07 AM »
BL. Doesn't that mean that you are paying transaction fees and commission each time?
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 07:12:44 AM »
 As we take enough TL for our first week in general We only draw out once for the second week.A transaction fee is paid but it's not a biggie....(emergency bag money,Jewellery money and beer tokens await if we need them! ;))

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 10:43:14 AM »
No BL, I meant if you are drawing out small-ish amounts in UK each month, won't you be paying out on each transaction to the bank or bureau?
Personally, I hate giving UK banks my money to change when they give such a poor rate compared to the Turkish banks and still charge a commission.
Except for once, 2 years ago, when the rate went briefly over 4 to the pound, I have always found it better to take a sterling debit card and draw my lira when I get out there.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 10:59:38 AM »
I just go to the currency exchange in town  (mrs L works for one in the airport ..but it's a poor exchange rate!!) and buy some each month..mrs L does the same but varying amounts depending on how decent the rate is..it works for us because we cant spend it on luxuries (and sometimes rubbish ::))..we take sterling for when we want a better deal on something in Turkey(bag,Jewellery etc ) any costs are bearable as I don't spend my beer money!!  Any we bring back goes towards next years pot!! yes we dooooo!! ;D
 if you are taking cash make sure you have an adequate safe,and lock your stuff in your bedroom with you at night cameras ,I pad watches etc rather than leave them scattered around your property...obvious I know but people go into holiday mode and think nothing happens in Paradise! ;)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 02:27:32 PM »
Us cash die-hards are a bit old school, but it works for us too 8)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 09:03:53 AM »
And us  :)

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »
If you read the current articles about the Turkish economy, it is rapidly going downhill and quite likely the lira will continue to devalue.  No guarantee, but I will hold on to foreign currency for the foreseeable future.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Climate change

Started by Russab on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post December 22, 2009, 05:26:42 PM
by MartynE
xx
flight change

Started by dylanleeds on Flights and Travel

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 08:39:54 PM
by dylanleeds
xx
Change of Status

Started by Dorby Perry on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 02:41:12 PM
by Roxie
xx
Change of hotel

Started by Kefgirl on Accommodation and Hotels

9 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 10:02:04 PM
by Kefgirl

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal