Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Exchange rate  (Read 12189 times)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Exchange rate
« on: January 11, 2017, 06:36:22 AM »
Just under 4.7 this morning 👍👍👍

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13595.0
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Re: Exchange rate
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 02:38:13 PM »
4.73 now .......where will it end up ?  I need to change up £10k to have some work done at our villa......do I twist or stick 🤔

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:50:48 PM »
HA Ha...Big decision!.if we all knew what the currency was going to do we would all play the markets...IMO I would change it soon certainly before Brexit talks start..I've been buying in dribs and drabs but am going to buy a lump for hols times, it's the gamble you takes! ;)    or will it hit 5? ??? :P
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:29:43 PM »
The big question is what will this do to prices in Kalkan, often restaurant prices have a habit of going up as the lira goes down  ;D ???

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 06:08:55 PM »
Yes...as sure as night follows day, Jon  ::)
We've been buying in dribs and drabs too and got caught out last year when we bought a big wad...it went up significantly more afterwards - I'd never make a Trader!

One thing I did notice last year was that none of the shop keepers really wanted Sterling, they preferred Lira for the first time in many a year. One bag store asked if we'd swap their Scottish notes for Turkish Lira as they apparently have trouble with those at the Banks...? When we got home I used them in my local Tesco and the shop assistant looked at us and said "Wow you had good weather in Scotland" ;D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 06:55:06 PM »
.....4.75 🤔

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 03:54:36 AM »
From my experience the banks will not accept Scottish notes here - not sure why but they wont!

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 10:36:11 AM »
from Scotbanks.co.uk:

"The legal position with regard to Scottish Banknotes is as follows: Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament. However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland. ... Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt."

In orther words, it's a sort of Sturgeon Monopoly Money >:D
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 11:10:28 AM »
It was £200 in Scottish £20 notes...so quite a lot for the owner to miss out on. We were happy to take them home with us and had no problem using them in Wales! Maybe our Scottish members should make a note to not take them to Kalkan if there's an issue for the shop keepers/restaurant owners getting them converted into TL. Has anyone had success at the banks or exchange facilities in the past?

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »
Our letting agent won't take Scottish notes as they can't change them in Kalkan.  I always advise any Scottish guests that they should take English notes and I have put a message to that effect on our website.

Offline suziq

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 09:57:32 PM »
No, we have always been asked for English notes if we are paying in cash. Our notes are not  even accepted in London so we are not surprised that Turkey doesn't accept them.

It is actually very difficult for us to obtain English notes as only one bank in Inverness gives them out and even then out of tourist season they have very few!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 03:19:50 PM »
Obviously the shop owner wasn't aware and accepted them, only to find he couldn't get them exchanged. He knows us well enough to ask us to take them but you wonder how many smaller businesses might have been affected in the past.
Why aren't Scottish notes accepted in London? That's ridiculous if the rest of the country accepts them.

Sorry I realise this is a bit off topic...I hear the Exchange Rate has risen again in the last few days *swerves slapped wrist from mods*

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 04:30:33 PM »
Not wishing to upset anyone, BUT

The problem is that Scottish banknotes are recognised, but not legal.

They have the same legal status as an IOU, effectively.

So, this begs the question: would you accept an IOU from Nicola Sturgeon, outside Scotland (note that Wales, Northern Ireland, Cornwall, Norfolk or Pimlico don't pretend to have their own special currency… :angel:)?

As an aside - what's the exchange rate between Sterling and the (insert name of Scottish currency - any ideas?).  Just because it's called a pound doesn't mean that the respective economies and economics of Scotland and everyone else in the UK would result in a 1:1 ratio.  With the dire state of the Scottish economy (oil, etc - even relative to the UK economy) it may only be worth 70 Scottish Pence to the GBP!

Hence why you may be better off with something people can actually exchange on recognised currency markets.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »
Chris_S, its obviously an issue if you live in Scotland to get non-Scottish notes - See suziq's post. As much as you say people are better off using GBP outside of Scotland, its tough for Scottish people to get non-Scottish notes to use outside of their country. And as we now know, they are not accepted in Turkey...and London!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 03:03:36 PM »
After the 'leak' regarding Teresa May's(maynot) speech on 'hard brexit' that us due  tomorrow! I'm shocked that the £ / TL exchange has gone up a tiny fraction today.....confused.com 🤔

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 11:45:39 AM »
Kalkan4eva

I accept that the situation in Scotland is what they have, but the situation is similar to England centuries ago, where local banks would issue notes in their name.  Can you imagine trying to exchange a (for example) William's and Glyn's £10 note  anywhere except William's and Glyn's?

And that's the issue - Scottish banknotes are issued by the individual banks - NOT by the Government sponsored/supported Bank (as in Bank of England, US bank etc).

Of course, the Scots, being the Scots, have a different concept on how the world actually works! >:D

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
And where would the world be without the Scots vision of how the world works. Quite frankly I find your snide comments about my nation on this and previous posts both rude and insulting and quite frankly bordering on racist although I am aware that we Scots are not a race so maybe more Scotland phobic. As far as I'm aware the purpose of this forum is to Enjoy Kalkan and not have snide and ill informed swipes at an entire country, it's democratically elected government and its position in the wealth of nations. I'm certain that this type of comment would be immediately deleted if it were about some other nations or their people.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 01:57:37 PM »
I wish there was a like button...I've thanked you instead, itstime. I was affronted on your behalf....sorry i even mentioned the Scottish notes now  :(

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 05:25:16 PM »
Thank you. I'm no sensitive shrinking violet but there's a limit to what I will accept and the comments referred to went way beyond that xx

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »
M-m-m-m-m, so pointing out that Scottish notes are not legal tender in the rest of the world, but that there is a perception that because they are accepted in Scotland that they are legal tender worldwide is bordering racist?

I suggest you read up what racist actually means.

I have not, do not, and will not criticise anyone from whatever nation, for their patriotic beliefs or national pride.

However, if giving an opinion on a politician who refuses to accept things because they lost a referendum ( and would repeat this ad infinitum until the 'proper' result occurs, in true EU fashion), then I'm afraid offence may be taken.

If I wish to be offended, then I can listen to the same politician and find that, if I were a Tory voting English person, I would be responsible for all the ills and problems of Scotland.

In my previous posts I only point out that Scottish Banknotes are effectively a local currency.  Three banks are permitted to issue notes: Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale Bank and The Royal Bank of Scotland.

Just because they can, and do, doesn't mean that are necessarily legal tender; which they aren't, even in Scotland.  If Scots wish to believe that they have an entitlement to have them universally recognised as legal tender, for whatever nationalistic reason, and I point this out, doesn't make me racist.

It's just a fact.

And just one point - I have Scots in my family, friends are Scots, friends living in Scotland and none of them that read this were offended, affronted or felt that any reaction was required.

In fact, if anyone was offended, it may be me, because I dared to comment on Scottish Issues and am being reprimanded.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Exchange Rate

Started by hodstar on Money & Finance

20 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 08:08:11 PM
by Alex_Rowland
xx
exchange rate ?

Started by kazaroni64 on General Discussion

14 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 02:49:14 PM
by kazaroni64
xx
exchange rate

Started by craig3166 on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 04:49:17 PM
by craig3166
xx
Exchange Rate

Started by Emmaph70 on Money & Finance

9 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 06:52:18 AM
by pw

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Saklient

Views: 5015
By: misty
Hmmmm