Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Cash or Cards.  (Read 7457 times)

Offline mcrterry

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Cash or Cards.
« on: March 09, 2014, 06:52:52 PM »
Hi, I am new to this forum so please excuse any mistakes in protocol or if I'm asking questions previously answered many times.
We are travelling to Kalkan in August and as we havent been to Turkey for almost 20 years wondered what is the best way to use and spend our money. Should we take sterling or Lira? Also are pre loaded cards used and also used without charge (we have Post Office cards) in restaurants and ATM's. I'm also interested in how much we should take/costs but will ask that on another forum
Thanks in advance

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11887.0

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Cash or Cards.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 07:20:47 PM »
Open a Halifax Clarity Credit Card. They don't charge for purchases and cash withdrawals at the ATM, although you pay the interest on the amount of cash you have withdrawn. We use ours all the time. As soon as I get back I find out on line how much I have spent and pay it off immediately. For a 2 week holiday in Barbados in January the total of my charges having used it to pay for meals, purchases, boat trips, and cash withdrawals was less than £3. We use it in Kalkan in the same way, although we usually bring sterling for the first week or so as we have a safe. Again our charges are below £3 for the 3 week holiday.

Offline mcrterry

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 08:10:39 PM »
Wow thank you Kalkan regular thats a really good tip. So basically its like using your credit card in the UK you just pay it off at the end of the month? That takes a lot of stress out of the holiday. I hate thinking we have never brought enough cash etc and hate paying charges on debit or credit cards. Really appreciate your post! :laugh:

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:02:19 PM »
Yes it's the same as in the UK, including the fact that you pay interest on any cash withdrawals. That was the only charge ,which for us came to less than £3. If I draw cash out only in the second half of the holiday and repay the day after I get back it has been less than £1.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 10:34:48 PM »
The Nationwide does not charge when using their credit card for purchases abroad and there is no charge when withdrawing sterling abroad if you use their Flexi Account debit card.  As far as I am aware the only bank in  Kalkan that allows you to withdraw sterling is the Garanti Bank up the hill towards the weekly market.  If you want to take Sterling you will get a better exchange rate in Kalkan rather than in the UK.
Welcome, to the forum, I'm sure you will have a great holiday, Kalkan is a beautiful place.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 04:50:36 AM »
HSBC cash machine also offers sterling,lira or euros.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 02:19:39 PM »
Thanks for that amber good to know HSBC also dispenses sterling.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »
I thought the Nationwide now charged for cash withdrawals as Turkey isn't in Europe. That's when we changed to the Halifax Clarity.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 03:09:02 PM »
Yes the Nationwide do charge for cash withdrawals abroad unless you have a Flex debit card

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 03:59:57 PM »
welcome to the forum mcrterry :)
We take Sterling and exchange it Kalkan - the rates are always better than UK. We did buy some lira when the interest rates were very favourable at home, but that's not the norm. We have withdrawn both lira and sterling in Kalkan using our debit card if we need extra money and generally we are charged for each withdrawal (its about £3 per transaction so we try to take it out in one big chunk rather than go back and forth incurring charges). It is free to exchange sterling in the shops but you get a lower exchange rate than the bank. We used the ATM exchange at Is Bank for the first time last year which was very handy - excellent exchange rate (one of the best in Kalkan) and minimal charges. I'm old fashioned and prefer to pay cash for everything - it means I can't overspend :P
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline mcrterry

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 07:52:13 PM »
Thank you all for your advice and making me welcome. Really good tips

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »
As I said I use a Nationwide Flexi account debit card and am not charged to withdraw sterling. I then change my sterling into lira using the cash machine as described by K4E.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 12:01:04 PM »
Just to add the Is Bank ATM exchange was only taking £20 notes in June last year - not sure if this was a blip or the norm. £10 and £50 notes were rejected - we exchanged those in the kiosk by PTT...which may or may not be there this year.

Offline tuppy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 03:43:38 PM »
Just to add that the best thing about paying for meals etc with one of these cards is that you get the 'true' exchange rate which is guaranteed to be better then even the most generous foreign exchange bureau at home or in Kalkan

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 03:52:17 PM »
I think you'll find the banks also offer the true exchange rate ???

Offline tuppy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 12:01:17 AM »
I think you'll find that if you go into any bank in the UK or Kalkan and actually exchange sterling for Lira I guarantee you will never get the true exchange rate. Yes the banks will offer a true exchange rate if you use the ATMs but withdrawing money from a cash machine abroad will either incur extortionate charges using a debit card or start charging you interest using even the best credit card. Pay in a restaurant/shop/supermarket using a clarity card or similar and as long as you pay the balance before the end of the month you'll have no interest/charges to pay at all while still getting the 'true' exchange rate.

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 07:59:28 PM »
Can anyone tell me if restaurants/shops/supermarkets charge for using credit cards ?  I know hotels in Kalkan can charge up to 3% to use them when paying the bill.

So I'm trying to decide if I take out sterling with my Clarity card & change it to lira at the ATM on my last day is that the most cost effective method ?  I usually just use cash sterling (changing it when necessary in Kalkan) but this saves bringing a wedge with me and sounds like I still get best exchange rates.

Although a long time regular of Kalkan an exchange ATM is a new invention to me :o  Sounds brilliant !

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »
Lucy Lou I think you will find it is not the shops/restaurants in  Kalkan that make charges but your credit card company.  I use the Nationwide credit card and pay zero commission for any purchases abroad.  I always find I get the best exchange rate too.  For withdrawing sterling from the banks in  Kalkan I use my Nationwide debit card, again without commission charges and top exchange rates.  Having withdrawn sterling I then use the exchange ATM to change to Turkish Lira, very handy.  Have stopped carrying large amounts of cash.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 10:43:04 AM »
There isn't a charge from Halifax for using your Clarity card in Kalkan for goods, meals or withdrawals. The only charge is interest on cash drawn out at the ATM. If you pay off the card as soon as you get back it is tiny, less than £1.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cash To UK

Started by caradog on Money & Finance

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2008, 06:26:55 PM
by Wonderwall
question
Cash Machines

Started by RoseForever on Money & Finance

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 08:53:10 AM
by RoseForever
xx
Cash points

Started by Lynne T on Money & Finance

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2019, 01:06:39 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Cash or travellers cheques

Started by Alce on Money & Finance

2 Replies
Last post September 30, 2014, 09:30:02 PM
by pw

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal