Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: living costs?  (Read 6181 times)

Offline albinoni

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
living costs?
« on: December 13, 2010, 08:37:05 PM »
Hi, this is my first post on the site, so i'm not quite sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes!
I have owned a small apartment in Kalkan for around 5 years and am hoping (with my partner) to spend some time in Kalkan next year. I know it's a bit subjective, but was wondering if anyone had any monthly budget guidelines for water/electricity and food and anything else for that matter. We are hoping to avoid the stores and buy from the markets, fruit, veg, lamb etc.
Also, if I bring a portable tv, will it just 'work' or do you need a licence, digibox, sky aerial etc and will uit get uk tv? Equally, is there a free wi-fi available for e-mailing back home, etc.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Andy

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7180.0

Offline butterfly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: living costs?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 12:26:08 PM »

Living on my own and not being a very economical person, my costs for electricity, water, telephone, internet (limitless access 49.99 tl per month) and digiturk (what you need to view English speaking programmes which costs about 47.95 tl a month) amounted to about £100 from 8 October to 8 November 2010.  The bill was higher in August when I used more electricity for air conditioning.

You cannot buy meat, other than chicken, at the weekly market and expect to pay for meat roughly the same price as in the UK.  Vegetables and fruit are cheaper as are local fish.  The cheapest drinkable local wine costs about 12 tl a bottle.

I also spend about £30 a month for kontors for a Turkish mobile but I mainly text otherwise I would spend more.

I wouldn't bother (and I think it is not allowed) to bring your own tv, they are about the same price here and sometimes you can find good deals in Migros for electrical goods.  Digiturk will set you up with an aerial and digibox but I can't remember how much I paid for this one off service.

You would need to get a home telephone installed for the internet otherwise you can buy those plug in things for your computer but I should imagine they are more expensive to use.  Local telephone calls from your home are quite cheap to other home lines.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Butterfly

Offline albinoni

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »
Thanks Butterfly - this is really helpful.
Is it possible to get paid or free wifi anywhere in the town without having to set up a home internet package?
Andy

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 07:35:19 AM »
Hi yes it is.There are a few places around towm.One is a small internet cafe directly opposite the restaurant,Oz Adana.There are probably a few other threads on the forum to do with wifi.There is a really good little butcher in the town as there is a really cheap fruit and veg shop,So you dont have to rely on the market.

Offline Wally

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 01:58:06 AM »
Hello there. Thought my comments maybe of help as I live in Kalkan. Food, well the 2 x veggy shops offer good fresh seasonal goods, prices are fine. The Kalkan market on a Thursday offers a larger selection of fruit and veg plus fresh chicken, eggs etc and really you can buy all household cleaning goods etc, prices are fine and its nice to walk around, do the work then have a beer! Supermarkets are small, most UK products can be purchased but are very expensive, Turkish makes are fine.
The butchers in Kalkan are a little expensive for meat, which really is;nt very good unless you slow cook, chicken is fine though.  There are a couple of internet cafes which charge a minimum rate average 3 lire for one hour. The Kaya & Parc have free wi fi (bring your own laptop) all year round but of course it is a good idea to purchase a drink of some kind.

Water charges are very cheap, electricity, well depends on what you switch on so be careful the first month until you can gauge but it is not cheap.

Generally speaking expect to pay a little more in Kalkan than you would outside of the village, walk if you can, get your bearings and you will find you will soon see the best places to shop. If you try to buy all from one place I think you will pay over the odds? You will have all the time in the world and its great to meet people.

Hope this helps a little? It is a complete change to buy seasonal and to take time in shopping. You will love it! :D

Offline JayTravel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:42:33 PM »
movers
Hi, this is my first post on the site, so i'm not quite sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes!
I have owned a small apartment in Kalkan for around 5 years and am hoping (with my partner) to spend some time in Kalkan next year. I know it's a bit subjective, but was wondering if anyone had any monthly budget guidelines for water/electricity and food and anything else for that matter. We are hoping to avoid the stores and buy from the markets, fruit, veg, lamb etc.
Also, if I bring a portable tv, will it just 'work' or do you need a licence, digibox, sky aerial etc and will uit get uk tv? Equally, is there a free wi-fi available for e-mailing back home, etc.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Andy
I have not lived in Kalkan yet but in my research the cost for most things is fairly economical.  If you are coming from a country with a decent currency, you should be able to afford things at a real fraction of the cost.  I once worked with many people from Turkey and they say the American dollar goes a pretty long way there.  this is one of the reasons I'm looking into property.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »
The Dollar is going to crash, dont know when, but its in the post ! ! !   Why do you think you can sell ( not buy, because the rich want all the dollars changed into gold ! ! !  ) gold in every other high street shop ?   Advise.............hold on before you buy.............sorry to go slightly of thread  ???
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
living costs

Started by hils on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 09:32:08 PM
by hils
xx
Living in Kalkan

Started by pnut on Living In Kalkan

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 11:57:29 AM
by felicity
xx
Eye Tests for someone living in Kalkan

Started by maddie.ann on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 02:24:46 PM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Living la dolce vita

Started by bizzylizzy on Holiday Reports and Reviews

28 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 12:39:45 PM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

miss begonvil

Views: 596
By: Begonvil
"Tranquillity"