Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Returning to Kalkan after 26 years!  (Read 7935 times)

Offline Jann

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
  • "The purpose of life is to fight maturity."
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Returning to Kalkan after 26 years!
« on: March 13, 2013, 12:14:20 PM »
Hello.

I'm delighted to have found this site with all its fantastic information and lively chat on everything to do with Kalkan.

Hubby and I visited in 1987 (which makes me feel very old indeed!) We had the most fabulous time and loved every minute of our two week stay. We also hold exceptionally fond memories of the place and its lovely people. Quite why it has taken us so very long to return, I am at a loss to explain. Nevertheless we are now firmly booked to arrive on 19th August, and bringing along our daughter to experience it. We simply cannot wait!

I can see the village has grown quite a bit since 1987 understandably, but it still looks very beautiful and the beach is transformed from the rather basic strip of pebbles that it was in 1987. 

I think I spotted the same kilim shop on a street corner (can't remember the name) that was there in 1987 and was run by Memet and his Australian wife/partner. Is he still running it, do you know?  Mr Dalkiran, a lovely, elderly gent, owned a pension down the road from the one we stayed in and I again wonder if he's still around? We also got to know a taxi driver who 'adopted' us and would shine his headlights on our table if the power failed! And a charming old man ran a very small teashop up where the dolmus would drop off. I expect sadly, he may well have passed.

We have booked to stay at Safa apartment which I believe is in the old town though as we are arriving in the village at around 11.00pm, will any supermarkets be open for us to buy breakfast provisions? The apartment owner has mentioned that he could organise some for us but if the shops are still open, it'd be nice to buy the items ourselves.

As I've gone on a little too much for a first posting, I'd best give you a rest! Looking forward to being part of this forum and getting to know you all.

Jan ;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10771.0

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
Re: Returning to Kalkan after 26 years!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 01:10:14 PM »
Welcome to forum Jann, what a lovely story and great to hear you are coming back to Kalkan after all this time. It will be interesting to see what you think of Kalkan after your next visit and what your impression of it is now.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like and we look forward to getting know you too  ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:59:14 PM by EK Moderator »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 02:04:37 PM »
Hello and welcome...you seem to have visited from about the same time as myself and mrs L first landed in this little piece of magic....After all this time you will notice a big difference in things..the hillsides will be the most noticeable, now covered with buildings..but hey! more places to choose to stay so there are plus points..the heart of the old town you will recognise..things have been given a facelift and businesses do tend to move around but the layout is still the same...Kalkan still knocks the socks off most places i know and it's people are still warm and generous (that hasn't changed!) yes there are things that you might think are pretty naff....but one mans meat is another mans poison as they say...you will have a great time i'm sure..fire away with any questions ..someone will know the answer! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »
Hi Jan and welcome to the EK forum. Ask away lots of members on hear to answer All your questions.

Wow, 25 years since you last visited, I can't imagine what you will think of Kalkan now  ???

We only found Kalkan in 2008 and its grown a fair bit in that short time, albeit, it's Stiil a wonderful place and we Love it Sooo much. One thing that I'm sure has not changed are the local people, a joy to be with, oh and the Sun  8)

For even more info on (the new) Kalkan try this website KTLN   kalkanturkishlocalnews  it's not a forum like EK but a 'Kalkan News' website it has Tons of info on it .

Look forward to hearing more from you, and of course your thoughts after your holiday, it will be so interesting to hear what you think of Kalkan in 2013.

Onelove.
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »
Remember to pack any of your photos from your trip, we did from a trip in '92 the locals loved them, pointing out who's who what they are doing now etc..  many of the people we met in '92 are still around..
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline Jann

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »
Thank you all for your warm welcome!

I had thought to pack some photos taken from our last trip. Little boys on the beach are likely to be in their mid thirties by now, and hopefully, still living in the village.

I'm sure I will still be loving Kalkan as much as I did last time. As Blue Lizard says, I'm sure I'll notice the difference on the hillsides. There was very little except a sunbathing platform on the left across the bay when we last were there. The views from the roof of our pension were stunning looking out to sea.

I have already visited KTLN, thank you. This is another great site for useful information.

Being a huge foodie, I can't wait to sample the dishes. One very positive aspect with it having grown, it certainly sounds like we'll be very spoilt for choice. Sadly we're only going for 10 days this time. Will this be sufficient time to get through every menu, I wonder? I will definitely give it a go!!!

Chat with you soon.
Jan

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:31:10 PM »
Hi Jann, welcome to the forum :)
You will see massive changes to Kalkan since you last came, so it will be interesting to get your views when you get back from your stay. I don't know where Safa apartment is, but in terms of supermarkets in the centre of the village, Kipa (part of the Tesco group) is just up from the Samira Hotel, should still be open. Further up the hill towards the Market, Yali is definitely open until midnight so you should be able to get some provisions. There's a few little general store shops in the village itself, but not sure how late they stay open and where they might be in relation to your accomodation.
I hope you have a wonderful holiday :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Jann

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »
Thank you, kalkan4eva, for your info on supermarket closing times.

I'm not sure if I'm correct but having looked on the internet, I think Safa is on the Dere complex. The apartment shares a pool with 2 others so could this be right? A complex sounds much bigger! On the Owner's Direct site (through which we have booked) the blurb says it is 2 minutes walk to the centre. If not, we aren't bothered as we'll be away from life's usual routine, enjoying good food, a great atmosphere, beautiful views, freindly locals and guaranteed sunshine (well, certainly far more than here in miserable Britain!)

We are due to land in Dalaman at 21.25. The owner is kindly organising transfers through Enes for us so I assume we'll arrive by 11.00pm.

I will most certainly let you know my views on the changes we have seen once we return, though I fully intend to have chats with you all and probably ask further questions before we depart.

Have a good evening all.
Jan

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 07:45:55 PM »
A bit later than that i'm afraid... by the time you get out of Dalaman ..visa,passport, cases, then short walk to transfer area..it will be 22.00 /22 15..maybe Kalkan 23.45 ish? we have landed at 21.10 the last 4 trips and arrived at approx 23.30 without a stop on the way ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 09:56:08 PM by blue lizard »

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 08:10:34 PM »
Your accomodation is less than 5  minutes walk to the beach in one direction and less than 5 minutes walk to the town centre in the other direction.Great location on the edge of the old town,very near the new walkway.Not a big complex-so dont worry.Be prepared for very big changes,some for the better and some not!!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 08:35:30 PM »
The earliest you will arrive in Kalkan is 23.30 ( It's at least 1.5 hrs transfer + 30 mins leaving the airport). The owners of the apartment are lovely and I'm sure you will have a welcome pack with milk, bread, water and a few other bits and pieces whan you arrive but if you want to have some Efes beer, wine, etc the owners will arrange for it to be there for you. About 100 yards away Genpa supermarket will be open early next morning. You are in a good location to have a quick wander into the town for a drink and Ali Baba which is about 200 yards fromm the apartment serves food until the early hours.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 12:33:45 AM »
Agh forget about provisions, go for a drink and a snack, get up next morning and off you go for about a minute's walk and look out for someone doing breakfast plus the supermarket. Have breakfast, buy stuff and head home. Simples!!xx

Offline Jann

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 07:01:36 AM »
Thanks once again folks, for all your great advice.

I never was very good at Maths so got our arrival time to the village wrong. A welcome pack, a snack and a drink, a snooze, followed next morning with breakfast in the sunshine, before a leisurely shop. Perfect!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »
We have stayed at Dere apartments (Sahane) and as everyone says its a great location....you are literally a 2 min stroll to the White House...the hill is a bit steep coming back, but its short and helps negate the calorie intake ;D We often chose the steps just up from Moonlight Bar because it was down hill once you got to the top....kidology!!
Oz Adana is probably your closest restaurant as that's moved to the top of the road....but I think they'll be closed by the time you arrive. I would suggest nearer midnight for your arrival, Enes are our preferred transfer company, you will be in good hands.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Its a great area round there - stayed nearby the last couple of years.  Close to everything yet quite quiet.  8) :)

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 05:52:02 AM »
Definately bring some photos!
Mehmet and his wife Beverley parted ways many years ago, she returned to Australia. Your lovely Mr Dalkran passed on last year, where you are staying was built on his families land!

Offline Jann

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 07:20:34 PM »
Thanks, kalkan4eva for the tip with the steps. We spent a few holidays in NE Corfu (San Stefano) and it was hilly so we're pretty used to steep gradients. Always seems easier after a couple of wines! It's good to know we're in a central location though- and that it's quite quiet.

I am going to dig out my pics kalkankiki and pack them. Yes, Beverley. I remember now. Sad that they parted and terribly, terribly sad to hear Mr Dalkran passed away only last year. He would have been unlikely to remember us but what a lovely man he was. He gave hubby and I a bunch of flowers on our last day and BH's was a bigger, blousier bunch than mine!  :) Still, there'll be some of him present if we're staying on his family's land.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Returning to Kalkan alone?

Started by Lauren on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 09:03:59 PM
by Chucky
xx
Returning to Kalkan in June

Started by Truffle1049 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 11:12:35 AM
by Melek
xx
Hello - I'm new and returning to Kalkan after a 5 year break

Started by ShazzaA on Introduce Yourself

5 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 11:26:07 AM
by ShazzaA
xx
Kalkan ten years on??

Started by sally on General Discussion

26 Replies
Last post October 26, 2016, 01:49:17 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal