Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New to forums - to Turkey - and so Kalkan - and lots of questions - a few now...  (Read 9588 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
....one very important thing we should share with you is that heels and Kalkan are not a good mix.... :)
You won't find this important fact in the search facility as you won't be looking for it. If you pack your case with heels you may become a recluse ;D ;D
Flats, lots of them and perhaps the odd pair of heels/wedges if you fancy a challenge ;)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Or one pair of flipflops >:D >:D >:D

Offline Dobbie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Oh dear...work's not letting up and holiday's getting closer! I'm running out of time! Thanks again to everyone for all the tips...especially about heels! I must say though, I do tend towards the old flip flops! ;D
I do have a couple more questions for those in-the-know!
I saw somewhere recently that you must carry a photo ID in Turkey at all times, is that right? If so, will a photocopy of my passport be ok, rather than carrying that everywhere?
Also...my OH was told that you have to have some sort of permit to drive out there (where we usually go just his UK Drivers license is sufficient for car, m.bike and even boat rental).

Really looking forward to it now. Dobbie :)

Offline Dobbie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Oh, I missed one - which is the least expensive and most reliable airport transfer company (this may well be two different ones of course!). Thanks again, Dobbie :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Photocopy of passport is fine and probably best in case you lose the original.
You need your full driving license, not just your photo one.
May see you out here at our last meet up at the Pirat Hotel on the 26th? Have a look at the calendar.
B

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
We use Definetous.com for our guest transfers price is competitive and we have only had good feedback, However not all transfer companies know the locations of all villas/apartments so it might be worth asking the owners who they recommend price should be approx £55 each way for 1-3 persons.

Photo ID, we always try to carry a photocopy of passport but never needed to produce it.
When hiring a car I have only ever been asked for my DL (always have my paper part with me but never been asked for it)

I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
Hi, not long to go now! We hired a car from brave tours as it was the most economical one for us (7 seater for 4 days) and OH only needed his photo license. We had no form of ID other than our passports (and his photo driving license) but didn't ever need to produce ID. I presume if you change money at the bank you will have to use it, but the PTT kiosk and the jewellers never asked for proof of ID when changing cash.
Regarding the airport transfers, we have used Enes, Define, Adda and a chap called suleyman, who was a local taxi driver who is well respected. Pricewise, they are all similar, but I would say that Enes were the most professional and provided little extras such as complimentary bottled water and biscuits.
I think you'll be fine whoever you choose. We tend to leave it up to the villa owners and we have never yet had a bad transfer.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
Absolutely recommend Brave Tours for both airport transfers and car hire.  Very professional service. £110 return in private car includes complimentary cold water, freshen up wipes and bottle of wine.

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
I would also recommend Abitours for your transfer. You will deal with an English lady and I've always used them when needed a transfer. No wine though i'm afaraid. :'(
 ;)
I'll get me coat!! ;-).....Bang on!

Offline MightyAphrodite

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
We used Abi travel this year too and would highly recommend. Easy to book online through their website and Linda emailed to confirm details. Cost us £65 each way for 5 people. Our driver was lovely and we just popped into their shop the day after we got there to settle the bill and get our return pick up time.

Offline Dobbie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Thanks again everyone...all of this is very, very helpful! I actually feel like I know what I'm doing now!!! I'm going to make a list of notes from this discussion and others on here to take with me! And I have thought of another good question...we tend to like to eat local dishes when we're away - what are some recommendations? I like vegetarian and fish dishes typically and the OH, meat. Can't believe we'll be walking into Kalkan about this time next week!  :)

Offline Dobbie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
I just read another "newbies" post - they had a very good question...when you get a taxi do you agree the price first? Also, at Supermarkets is everything priced (as normal)...and are you supposed to haggle there too?! Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks, Dobbie  :)
P.S. Slightly concerned having read posts about lots of stray dogs - as every year I go home from holiday in tears because I've made a doggy pal and always try to find them a proper home before I leave, having fed, watered and removed ticks for them!  :o ;D

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
Hi Dobbie, I never use taxis in Kalkan so can't answer that query.   I am sure someone will be along with the answer.  A family member thinks the exercise walking around is good for me ....
Mercifully we are within walking distance of restaurants, shops etc although if we have been down to the harbour and had a large meal or it is very hot I find lots of excuses to "just stop and look at the view!" whilst getting my breath back.

Supermarkets - no, you don't haggle.   Just like supermarkets in the UK (although mostly quite small) everything is clearly priced, you take it to the till and are given the tally.   I think they probably all take cards these days, certainly Yali does where we mainly shop.   Saves me fumbling in my purse shortsightedly. 

Have a fantastic holiday.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
Taxis are all on meters, 4.5 lira standing charge then a set amount every 110m. You will be able to see the meter and how much it is before you get out.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Lots of Questions

Started by alantj on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 09:58:48 PM
by headroom
recycled
Questions about Kalkan

Started by NewtoKalkan on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 05:48:35 PM
by yelkenite
xx
Yet more questions from a Kalkan newbie

Started by amberpop on Introduce Yourself

5 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 09:06:44 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
A fun guide to internet forums

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on The Everything Else Area!

6 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 09:21:28 PM
by Chucky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal